• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Seven of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode concludes one reading and premiers another. Also, we brought back several guests for an extra long discussion segment!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Mafia Opinions Discourse and Feedback Thread

pluslefan

Conqueror of the Cianwood Gym
🎇Contributor
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Howdy, y'all it's me Pluslefan and here on the nuzforums we're seeing a pretty great resurgence in the mafia community that was once strong back in the days of zetaboards. @Alolan Floatzel and I have been working to help support our community here and I think it's about time we put forth a dedicated space for feedback, questions, concerns and hot button issues of the day to day.

There's a strawpoll here, as our games have swelled in numbers a fair bit, so to speed up hosting list wait time, we have reached a point where we can reasonably play 2 games.

In addition, this issue has come up on occasion, so please offer your opinion on how these things should be handled going forward.

If you have any other questions or concerns feel free to post them here, DM either myself (@Lackadaisical Derp#6781 on discord) or Alolan Floatzel here or on discord. We're both pretty readily available.

Also, this space can be used to post hosting set up ideas, or request feedback for hidden setups and the like! So please feel free to reach out.

Last edited:

Second

A Yu-Gi-Oh! Protagonist but in Real Life
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
They / Them
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon has a tendency to start many projects as they come to mind, but they tend to only finish projects other people have made deadlines for.
So! I want some feedback for my setup that may potentially have hidden stuff! It's my auction mafia setup. If anyone thinks A) they won't play and B) they want to help me balance it, HMU on Discord.

Alolan Floatzel

super high school level [redacted]
🎇Contributor
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 12, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Water, Cute
Pokédex Entry
[is baby]
hey guys, we have another poll out - this one is about the issue of substitute players

Last edited:

pluslefan

🎇Contributor
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MouseWithADinosaurTail

A Comedian At Heart
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
She's like a sea urchin. Tough and prickly on the outside, but delicate and easily wounded if hit the wrong way. Please handle gently.
There's a matter that I would like to bring to the table, if that's alright. I'll try to be as brief as possible, but I did want to discuss the issue of problematic players. Meaning players who are mean-spirited, sore winners/losers, and/or create environments that make other players upset and want to avoid games or the community in general.

I'm not going to name any names when I discuss this, but there ARE case studies I am going to allude to. I don't think this should be made an issue because we're all a part of the community. We all know very well what has been going on, the incidents have already been made public, and it's silly to try to pretend as if they didn't happen and keep things quiet when they already aren't quiet. Okay? Okay.

The case study I'm going to refer to is a situation in which a Player, when faced with loss in multiple games, underwent what can only be described as a string of public histrionic meltdowns. The Player in question deliberately was out to hurt others in the community and made it clear from their first game that they should not have been playing mafia. They were allowed to continue playing mafia. They were given second chance after second chance without more than a slap on the wrist for each transgression, their behavior- once enabled- only worsened. Many other players made it clear that this behavior was extremely distressing. It caused other players to avoid games this player was participating in or back away from the community altogether. And finally, they were temporarily (temporarily) removed from mafia. Not for being a public source of distress. But for playing against their side in a single game.

I'm going to speak calmly, but firmly. I frankly find it unacceptable that this situation was allowed to spiral for as long as it did, unmoderated and unchecked. It was clear that the situation was distressing, and it was clear that it was never going to get better. Yet nothing was done, and individual non-staff users felt forced to take it upon themselves to handle the situation, but it should not come to this. Users should be able to have faith that staff and moderators will handle situations like these.

In the future, I want us to think about how we approach these situations. When it is clear that bad behavior is not going to change. Do we allow a problematic player to keep playing games at the expense of the emotional well-being of the entire community, simply to avoid pressing the ban button? Or do we deal with these situations immediately, stop ourselves from enabling bad behavior and create a space in which the entire playerbase can feel safe from users who seek to distress them? To put it short, do we upset one player who already had the option to just not engage in poor behavior, or do we upset the entire rest of the community who are at zero fault for how that single player is behaving? In my opinion, the latter. It is not the community's fault when one player decides to behave poorly. It is not the community who caused the situation. So it should not be on the community to suffer through a situation they did not create. If problematic players want to play mafia, they can simply just stop behaving problematically.

I would suggest that a player should be temp-banned from mafia after 2-3 transgressions such as the ones I've outlined, and should be permanently banned after an additional 1-2 transgressions.

I really like this community. I'd like to see it flourished, but problematic players will drag it down. I want to affirm that I'm placing no blame on anyone, and I'm not angry that the situation wasn't dealt with. I simply would like to see that we handle these incidents better in the future. Let's all work to make the mafia community a safe and comfortable place! After all, this isn't Zetaboards. Let's raise our standards.

Thank you~

pluslefan

🎇Contributor
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When Mafia resurfaced as a community here on Zenforo it was a bit of a lawless wasteland with minimal outlined rules and regulations. It was also very small so as such we attempted to gather players and keep them around. We didn't even have rules regarding "being a dick" put into place yet and while it's true that the community needs rules like that to foster long term growth; in our short-sighted objective to grow bigger quickly, certain missteps may have been made.

While in your case study, you feel the offending player was out to hurt others, those moderating the wellbeing of the community felt differently and acted in the manner they felt best appropriate. If you had apprehensions about the direction of their decisions, I would remind you that inboxes are always open for comments and concerns and they are always willing to hear from you and take your input into fostering a better community for us. As for the actual ramifications for their actions, you are well aware of the forum's warning system and how private it is, so while it may seem like nothing more than a slap on the wrist was happening, there were things behind the scenes going on that you may not have been aware of and it is at that person's discretion to make you aware of them, not ours nor yours. Their temporary ban from the games was as a result of the direct malice they brought to the game, which resulted in a more public discipline so that mafia hosts would be aware of the player's restriction and avoid a further messier situation should they have attempted to circumnavigate their restriction. We are continuing a discussion with the moderation team and for the moment have doled out a minimal punishment while we pool our resources and insights to determine if that minimum should be made more severe as the situation definitely required at least that initial response before we spent a day going over things. This may not be the final action made against the offending player and it may be the final action you hear of against them in accordance with the forum's disciplinary policy.

While it is regrettable to hear that you have misgivings as to the course of action, the moderation team acted in what they believe to be fairness and will continue to do so. Should your misgivings continue we ask that you please reach out to us and make us aware of them, as it is difficult to act in the best interest of the community when we can only guess as to what may be an issue or how big of an issue one really is. The bottom line of it is that we don't want this behavior or negative atmosphere persisting either, so I ask that if you feel what is being done isn't enough that you reach out to us! Alolan Floatzel and I aren't members of the moderation team, we're just the couple of users who've established a direct line with the moderation team and stepped up to try handling problems and create organization in the place we're trying build to have fun mafia games with each other.

Alolan Floatzel

super high school level [redacted]
🎇Contributor
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 12, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Water, Cute
Pokédex Entry
[is baby]
Regrettably, the recent situation was kind of touch-and-go in terms of the actual action taken because while we have our rules set up, we did not have any concrete system in place as to what it specifically meant when someone actually broke a rule.

In light of this, Plusle and I are collaborating with the mods to establish a proper, three-strikes warning system:

-- The first strike you receive will result in a three-game ban. Three games is not an especially long time (it translates to about a month give or take), and this ban is meant to act as just a warning. With that in mind, these bans will be handed out fairly liberally from this point forward - if someone is quite obviously causing a stir, there is little chance that they'll get off with just a slap on the wrist. Or, rather, you could consider this first ban to be a slap on the wrist.

-- The second strike you receive will result in a six-game ban. Something to note is that if you are close to the top of the hosting list and get banned (regardless of if it's the first or second time), you will also move down that number of spots.

-- The third and final strike you receive will result in you being permanently banned from playing mafia games. Additionally, any other disciplinary actions that the mod team may have to take in accordance with general forum rules can still apply throughout any part of this process.

This transition and rebuild of the mafia community on this forum hasn't been an easy one, and we'd like to thank everyone for bearing with us while we hash out some of the growing pains. Hopefully moving forward we will see less issues like this pop up and any disagreements there are to be had can be resolved amicably.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)