• Episode Four of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode will be the last one featuring chapters from Call of the Divines and Solstice! Tune in to hear what the story's creators have to say about these audio adaptations of their runs.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Deep Throat

This account is Mafia Mafia approved.
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 15, 2020
Nature
Naughty
Pokédex Entry
Throatin' deeps, takin' names.

the actual clown is the one using light mode discord

Last edited:

overkill

The Flatulent
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 22, 2020
Pokémon Type
Cool
Pokédex Entry
A Pokemon composed primarily of shit
L to the M to the FAO

My superpower is Argentinosaurus, which means that each night phase, I will be told the name of every player that visits a target of my choice. And it just so happens that the target of my choice last night was one Zorua3. Only one individual visited Zorua last night, which means I found another Mafia

@mondograss, you have terrible luck

VOTE MONDOGRASS

Cirr

I'm a bot! (maybe)
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Pronouns
beep/boop
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Fails Captchas with regularity
i-

i mean, you didn't need to show up to say this, but

okay

vote: mondograss

mondograss

Bard of Life
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 15, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pokémon Type
Dark, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is infamously irritable, but it comes down from its rage quickly. It is quite loyal to kind, patient Trainers.
Um... Ok? So mafia has a Ninja?

Cirr

I'm a bot! (maybe)
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Pronouns
beep/boop
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
CAN ALL OF YOU CLAIM TO ME SO I CAN SORT THIS DAMN THING OUT ALREADY

MouseWithADinosaurTail

A Comedian At Heart
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
She's like a sea urchin. Tough and prickly on the outside, but delicate and easily wounded if hit the wrong way. Please handle gently.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A gunshot sounds.

BANG!

VGBM falls dead.

Dead: VGMB (Tentacruel)
Each night, you can visit a selected player to poison them. Poisoned players will die a day later and will be alerted that they are poisoned. Poison is healed if the doctor was visiting the target on the same night the poisoner visited.

Deep Throat

Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 15, 2020
Nature
Naughty
Pokédex Entry
i blame all of you

mondograss

Bard of Life
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 15, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pokémon Type
Dark, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is infamously irritable, but it comes down from its rage quickly. It is quite loyal to kind, patient Trainers.
Implying I'm sorry.
"Sorry" is what good people feel.
And I am not a good person.

Cirr

I'm a bot! (maybe)
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Pronouns
beep/boop
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
addendum before mouse kills it:

mondo claimed heejin (role cop/detective) to me, claiming to have investigated zorua N2

but, we've got another player that is also a detective and had claimed to me

mondograss

Bard of Life
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 15, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pokémon Type
Dark, Normal
Pokédex Entry

Deep Throat

Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 15, 2020
Nature
Naughty
Pokédex Entry
can i get a last post off this account

🤡

MouseWithADinosaurTail

A Comedian At Heart
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
She's like a sea urchin. Tough and prickly on the outside, but delicate and easily wounded if hit the wrong way. Please handle gently.
Alriiiiiiight, since 2/3 mafia are dead and the last has outed himself in a, uh, manner, I'm going to call the game here.

Village wins!

Winners are as listed:
- Lucario (Bruno Bucciarati)
- Calendar (Miu Iruma)
- Alolan Floatzel (Farfetch'd)
- Shiny Pikachu (Leavanny)
- Cirr (Woodward and Bernstein)
- Rueblie (Piranha Plant)
- Boomdidiyadah (Himiko Yumeno)
- Mattelonian (fucking Drifblim.)
- Shruikan (Flygon)
- Overkill (Argentinosaurus)
- Zorua3 (Haseul)

And while this is not official win by any means, gonna give a big nod to EeveeFTW (Bede) for getting Village to fulfill his wincon after dying. Brilliant.

Overall, hosting this game was absolute hell, I got confused so many times and there were a ton of hiccups, such as the whole invulnerable Bede debacle, Eevee and Zorua firing shots at nearly the exact same second, the time I put down the wrong player for Flygon to visit and it changed Overkill's watch list from three players to one, et cetera. But overall, hosting this game was pretty wild and fun, a lot more fun than my first game. And it was just as stupid as I predicted! Actually, even more so! Yay!

That being said, mafia got very unlucky. Eevee basically fucked them over a table N1, randomizing the night actions so Veegee's poison redirected onto Kesha (hence why he just outed himself D1), and on N2, both Veegee and Mondo got found by villagers (Lucario found Veegee to be mafia, Overkill saw Mondo perform the kill). It was just a lot of bad luck that couldn't have been counteracted. I actually felt the role selection, besides Drifblim, was deeecently balanced??? Village was powerful for sure, but their most powerful role- Leavanny- was countered by the fact that a viral was after them, and the mafia's investigation role didn't visit. Plus, there were two item givers but mafia had a thief. But there were a lot of cops/detectives/watchers/trackers, and it was just very hard for mafia visits to skirt around said investigations. Pretty much from the moment that poison redirected, I knew it was gonna be a short game.

But hey. It was short, but it was fucking hilarious. And as a Comedian At Heart and the resident clown, that's all I'm here to provide.

Here were the mafia roles, in case y'all are interested.

- Kesha (Kaede Akamatsu)
- Mondograss (Mewtwo)
- Veegee (Tentacruel)

Overall good roles, besides Kaede which was a lot weaker. But yeah. Bad luck, sorry maf. Y'all did good with what you had. Y'know, besides shooting your fucking teammate lmao.

Anyways,
here's the spreadsheet!

I'll post more if I think of anything else to add. Thanks for playing, everyone!

Cirr

I'm a bot! (maybe)
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Pronouns
beep/boop
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
gg but idk

i was hype to use deep throat for all of one phase too

overkill

The Flatulent
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 22, 2020
Pokémon Type
Cool
Pokédex Entry
A Pokemon composed primarily of shit
Good game fellow village and Mafia! It was fun while it lasted

MouseWithADinosaurTail

A Comedian At Heart
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
I do just want to put out an apology for how the game ended. It's not quite how I imagined it going. As a mafia player, it's only ever been my desire to make others happy in the single corner of the community that I've ever felt properly welcomed. So for anyone who was seriously upset by what went down tonight, I am deeply, truly sorry.

Have a good night, everyone.

boomdidiyadah

Hand Washer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 6, 2020
Nature
Lonely
Pokédex Entry
Quietly sings to itself quite constantly, and is said to always have a song inside its head. Despite this, it has a terrible singing voice.
I go away for 24 hours and y'all end the game smh

GG

Rueblie

Not worth mentioning
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 4, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
Whatever
Pokémon Type
Bug, Steel
Pokédex Entry
They question if it even exists anymore and it seems annoying enough for them to not want to find out.
Oh, that was fast. Fun while it lasted but disappointing the mafia got screwed so hard.

Shruikan

Bookwyrm
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 10, 2020
Nature
Lonely
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This pokemon appears shy and quiet, but bring up a subject that interests them and they can speak for hours nonstop.
I go away for 24 hours and y'all end the game smh

GG
^^

Well, I was expecting to come in and go all detective but it apears my work has been done. Welp, a win is still a win. GG everyone!

greenchu

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 3, 2020
No mafia logs unfortunately because the server was deleted by Mondo.

I might make a bigger post with strawpolls later in the discourse thread with some of this stuff, but I just wanted to quickly (nevermind the word quickly, this ended up being a lot longer than I intended) mention some issues that I've had with other games that were kinda magnified in this one.

Roles: Role descriptions in my opinion need to be stated as explicitly as possible. In my games, I strive to explain each role and its mechanics as if I'm teaching a brand new mafia player and I think that should be the standard. Hosts should expect that in every game, no matter the setup, your players will come up with a strange interaction between roles that you did not previously have a straight-up answer for. Having consistently articulate description of roles/mechanics can help in these scenarios. Furthermore, one of the most frustrating things as a mafia player, regardless of your alignment and setup, is when the host changes how a role works in the middle of the game, or when a vague statement in the description is clarified to be wildly different from what the players expected. Also, how should we deal with consistency in roles between games? Viral exists in multiple forms (immune to all kills, immune to 1 kill, and not immune to kills) for instance, and has been one of the main offenders of a lack of consistency/explanation. Should we use standard role descriptions for all games? Should the random mafia descriptions be standard?

Randomness in game: Randomness works in mafia games, but to a limited degree. After all, which players have which roles is (mostly) randomized to start the game so it is definitely necessary. But one of the reasons why Bodyguard for example isn't a role that people like to use very often is because of its randomness. A 50% chance to die and a 50% chance to kill a mafia member is a huge difference in outcome. And even when the Bodyguard is successful, it doesn't feel good to the Bodyguard if the outcome of his role was just decided by chance (similarly, this doesn't feel good for mafia players either). Players of all alignments and abilities feel accomplished when their skill/play leads to good results for them, not random chance. Something like Danganronpa where random roles are activated or Auction Mafia with random known items doesn't impede players' sense of accomplishment/skill/play, as the outcomes are still (for the most part) in the players' hands. I know not all hosts do this and this may be controversial, but as host I generally give myself a little input into the outcome of a random event, depending on context, to ensure the quality of a game. For instance in Election Mafia, SweatingCalendar received a gun earlier in the game. As the last mafia member, he chose to fire it at a confirmed townie. If I revealed his role, this effectively ends the game and does not give the player any chance to be able to defend himself, he and the rest of the mafia would be handed a guaranteed loss because of a coinflip. In this situation, I was going to make the gun not reveal no matter what (I did however actually check whether the RNG would have made it reveal or not, and in this case the gun wouldn't have revealed anyway, but I still wasn't going to allow it even if I had the opposite result). While Calendar and the mafia did eventually lose, this at the very least still gives them the opportunity to play on and have a decent chance at victory. The randomness of Bede using his power N1 of this game was something that I definitely would have manipulated to an extent if I was the host (I didn't check the spreadsheet for the results of all the other roles, but at the very least I would not allow mafia friendly-fire). Mafia poisoning their own teammate is clearly a frustrating position to be in for mafia, and what's also unfortunate is that Village can't feel good about it either since they had no influence on that result.

When it comes to the case of a host learning of or changing mechanics/roles in the middle of the game, should there be a standard of how this is handled? Should this be allowed/not allowed? Or do we just treat each instance on a case-by-case basis and let the host decide? I know Mouse tried to go the democratic method and let the players decide for Poisoner and Viral in this game, but that was really frustrating from my perspective and in my opinion should be avoided. One idea that I have is that if a major role change/clarification happens with less than 24 hours left in the day phase, the day could be extended another 24 hours. It's frustrating for all players when a lynch is about to go through on a player, and then with a few hours left in the phase the host clarifies that this role/character cannot be lynched, despite no evidence of that in the OP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)