• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Seven of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode concludes one reading and premiers another. Also, we brought back several guests for an extra long discussion segment!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Written Story Kanto General Looking Backward: A Yellow MemoryLocke

Thread Description
"Memories exist in a time and place we can't return to. Do not get lost in them." (Chapter 37 - 7/10)

glancesherlock

Consulting Detective
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Just wants to stay home and solve crimes.

This is a self-reflective storylocke that explores not only the tropes and world of the Gen 1 storyline, but my personal life and how I've changed as a person throughout the years. Looking Backward is a passion project in the works for nearly three years now. It's been with me as I graduated college, got married, bought a house, and made many, many friends. It's garnered ample attention and seen success in the Extravaganza, and I couldn't be more proud it. This run feels like home to me, and in light of the forum change, I've decided to take steps in making it more accessible to anyone who might wish to read it.

The entire run is available on Archive of Our Own, but I'm also going to post each chapter individually on a weekly basis. So you pick! If you wanna binge it, power to ya. If you'd rather take your time, I feel you. It might get a little scrambled as I update with new chapters, but I'll make it work. Somehow. Thank you to everyone who has supported LB over the years, and if you're new–welcome! Renny already loves you. Who's Renny? Whew lad, you're about to find out.

* May only catch one Pokemon per route/cave/forest (with the exception of gift Pokemon). Only the first 'mon encountered in the area may be caught.
* Must nickname all captured Pokemon.
* If a Pokemon faints, it can no longer battle and must be placed in the PC for the remainder of the game (no zombie HM slaves allowed).
* If Pikachu dies, the run is over.
* Set battle mode must be on for the entire run.
* No TMs.
* MemoryLocke: Certain happy events in the game will trigger good memories while sad or unpleasant events will trigger bad memories. Bittersweet memories will be triggered by story-exclusive events.

While this run is tagged as Critique Level 2, constructive criticism is not an obligation. Only do so if you wish.

Looking Backward on AO3

Chapter One: This Time in This Place

Renny Crimson

Gary Oak

Karissa Davis

Bill Sanford

Professor Oak

Agatha Culverton

Cue Ball

Emilio Giovanni

Bonus: Giovanni Memeboard

Dude stress-eats, I s2g.
The Classic Bar One by sophiecognito
Speed Dating by Aurea

I don't have any proper context for this one.
Young Agatha and Mortdecai by Frostmourne

Renny by Emilianite

By Dusty. <3

Accolades

2016 Nuzlocke Extravaganza
Best Overall Written Run

Best Pokemon in a Written Run - Hamish

Best Supporting Character in a Written Run - Professor Oak

2017 Nuzlocke Extravaganza
Best Overall Written Run

Best Rival in a Written Run - Gary Oak

Best Plot in a Written Run

Bug

👉😎👉
Administrator
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
oh fuck oh shit my dots...............................................................................................................................
Liked. Subscribed. Now commented! I am so excited to read this as it comes out.

I'll be honest? No clause to cover the event where you kill all Pokemon needed for an HM terrifies me.

glancesherlock

Consulting Detective
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Bug - Ahh thank you! And yeah, I mostly wrote the ruleset based on a newbie kid who... probably doesn't know what she's doing, lol.

Time for things to kick off proper in Chapter Two!

Chapter Two: Enter the MemoryLocke

Reread this one before posting, and it's oddly nostalgic reading Renny, Gary, and Oak make their first appearances. It feels like these characters have been with me for ages. It's nice to see them breathe in a space where everything is so pleasant and simple.

It's also interesting to see how my writing skills have changed since 2016. I can tell I haven't quite nailed Renny's voice yet, but I don't think it's changed so much that she's unrecognizable. And oh, Gary, Gary, Gary... this was before I realized just how important he was going to be, haha.

glancesherlock

Consulting Detective
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Chapter Three: Hamish

I sorta forgot about the whole cleanup sequence with Hamish here, and it might be one of my favorite moments from the early chapters now. Just showcasing Renny's care for her Pokemon and her capability right out the gate.

It is a bit slow, though, pacing-wise. Think if I rewrote this, I'd condense it a bit, but LB was always meant to be a time capsule, so it wouldn't feel right in the long run.

Plain Yogurt

Happy Dairy Product
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Ground
Pokédex Entry
An ordinary dairy product. Dislikes conflict, and does whatever he can to bring happiness to others.
Geez I've wanted to read this thing for FOREVER and I'm glad to finally be able to because I'm super digging the premise. These first bits here have such a warm, wonders-of-childhood sort of feeling and I'm interested in seeing how exactly the memory parts come into play. I really love how the first fight was portrayed and how polar opposite the two starters are. Really looking forward to seeing more!

glancesherlock

Consulting Detective
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
@Plain Yogurt Heya! Glad to see you here~ God, I loved writing those opening chapters, especially establishing the kids and even the starters as their own characters. Thank you! ;;

Chapter 4: Eye of the Growlithe

I'm still proud of this lil' chapter of just Renny and Hamish bonding. I felt it was important to establish a rapport between my trainer and her starter before they took off, and diving into how a kid would prepare for a League journey was interesting. Plus getting creative with training techniques is always fun.

glancesherlock

Consulting Detective
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ghost
Pokédex Entry

BritishAirSnails

Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pokémon Type
Grass, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Beware the BritishAirSnail. They come from the sky and leave their slime EVERYWHERE
Oh man, I started what chapters you have here and couldn't stop. Really! This was so easy to read and I don't mean in a simplistic kind of way. I'd just start a chapter and suddenly it was over. Well, one more, and then that one was over too and before I knew it I had reached chapter six!

This story just has such an amazing slice-of-life feeling. It's innocent, and wonderful, and heart wrenching at the same time. Your characters are amazing. Renny is a love, and everything about her is brilliant. Her friendship with Gary is what every childhood friendship should be, and every adult one for that matter. I just want to hug him for what he's going through with Oak. He's being forced to grow up way too fast with taking care of his grandpa. Hopefully he can focus on himself for a while on his adventure.

One thing I super loved is how you handled Renny and Hamish. You built their relationship so carefully and skillfully. It's easy to go "Well, this is a Pokemon story and it'll love it's trainer the moment it's caught." Oh no no no. You did a really good job showing how feral Hamish was and the lengths Renny had to go through to tame him. After this last chapter it's evident there's still a long ways to go.

I can't wait for more. Really I may just end up plowing through everything on ao3 >.> I'm so glad I hoped on the wagon now because I'm on this ride till the end!

glancesherlock

Consulting Detective
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
@BritishAirSnails - I'm still cry. That's so great to hear that it reads well, especially these early chapters when things where rougher. Thank you!

I loved establishing all the dynamics and such before the journey started proper. It felt important given the nature of the run. And thank you for touching on Hamish not warming up to Renny right away! I figured if I'm going with more animalistic Pokemon, then they should behave a little more like animals and not trust people at first. And Hamish is especially nuts, haha. I love the lil fuzzball.

Chapter 7: First Catch
Chapter 8: The Very Hungry Machinac

That last line in Chapter 7 is probably one of my favorite Renny-isms, pfff.

Rhema

Conqueror of the Azalea Gym
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
She tries her best, but doesn't succeed. She gets what she wants but not what she needs.
This whole premise is so freaking cute. I love the slice of life vibe you've got going on here, and the fact that you based it all on your real life makes it that more compelling to read. What I've read so far is honest, wistful, and totally relatable. Love it!

BritishAirSnails

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pokémon Type
Grass, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Beware the BritishAirSnail. They come from the sky and leave their slime EVERYWHERE
Omg Renny and Gary are so cute! That last scene with them trying to sleep but being so excited about being trainers, God it's too much cute!

But to back up, I'm so happy she got her first catch. Hillary should be a good little Nidoran with some training! Speaking of, the little training section was good and I'm liking the budding rivalry between Flint and Hamish. Maybe they'll be buddies later, but for now rivalry is good. I love Mach already. Imagining a chubby little Caterpie, especially with his battle and him all happy and pinning down Nova. I just about died! I can't wait to see him evolve.

And just seeing how you're weaving your own memories into this story, and Renny experience/feel them in a sense is really beautiful. It's going to be really interesting seeing how more and more get put in and how they'll affect things.

I can't wait to see how they make it through Viridian Forest! Greeat couple of chapters!

glancesherlock

Consulting Detective
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
@Rhema - Aww, thank you so much! There are days I miss the chill of these earlier chapters, so I'm glad you're enjoying them!

@BritishAirSnails - I love that night scene so much! ;;; To this day it still feels like the most "them" moment in the run, haha. And god, fat Caterpie is everything. Mach's a good bug. So glad Renny's team is enjoyable. I do love writing me some cute smols. ^^

Looking Backward celebrated it's Third Year Anniversary last Saturday the 10th! I had something in the works for it, but I work two jobs, and I'm raising a puppy and preparing to travel oversees for two weeks, so life is busy as heck. I'll still post the extra when it's done. For now, here are the next two chapters:

Chapter 9: Through the Wood
Chapter 10: Down Time

SayleeK

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
I would apologize for the flood of chapterly AO3 comments I'm probably pouring into your inbox currently (sup I'm Mangaluva) but I am not in fact sorry, I'm thoroughly enjoying this reread and can't wait to see where this story's going!

glancesherlock

Consulting Detective
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
@SayleeK - Hey I'm so so sorry it took forever and a day to respond to you, because seeing all those comments on AO3 made my day week month year in ways I cannot properly describe, so thank you so much!! I'm beyond honored you took the time to reread this. Bless your black heart. ;;;;

I won't dance around and say I didn't forget about updating this run, because I totally forgot about updating this run...

...Galar has me by the $%&&@.

Extra #1: Ditto Cola
Chapter 11: Little League

For the record, this Brock battle is still my favorite in the whole run. I've yet to top this in my eyes... One day.

glancesherlock

Consulting Detective
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Another LB repost update from your friendly neighborhood Glance!

Chapter 12: Beeline for the Mountain
Chapter 13: It Pays the Bills

I wish I knew when I first wrote this scene just how important Cue Ball and Carl were going to become for the plot. Like Cue was always going to return, but I didn't realize just how eager I'd be to make him a staple in the cast.

Carl, I'm like this close to giving him a spin-off, goddamn.

glancesherlock

Consulting Detective
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Chapter 16: Mr. Maniac
Chapter 17: Bootcamp

Wow, my title game for these first twenty chapters is something else... Like, first Gary chapter, you'd think I'd have thought of something better lol. I still like these two a lot, though. Bill, my walking meme and Gary, my son. <3

glancesherlock

Consulting Detective
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ghost
Pokédex Entry

glancesherlock

Consulting Detective
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ghost
Pokédex Entry

glancesherlock

Consulting Detective
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Extra #3: Need You Now

This gets an update by itself, because it's my favorite thing in the whole fic, and I will die on this sinking ship.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)