• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

General Least favourite gym leaders/E4 members/champions

Nenety

Comedy mold
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 31, 2020
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Water
I can't answer from a nuzlocking point of view (which probably beats the unspoken theme of the thread?), but I hope just talking from my perspective as a player won't break any rules or anything. Expect this list to change as I do more and more nuzlocke runs, though.

If I had to make a pick, I believe it would be any normal-type Gym, without exception. I hate them all with a passion. Even as someone who doesn't like to grind, I ultimately see myself leleving like a maniac just to be completely sure that I won't end up losing due to a missplay, hax, or something along these lines. The only one that I actually don't hate too badly is Cheren, I think, but I still grind quite a bit out of muscle memory, just in case.

I don't particularly dislike Pokémon Champions or their Elite Four members too much, or at least, no one comes to mind when I think about it. I guess Diantha, because her story in-game and her battle are both pretty horribly done, but I cannot put her at fault too much, because X/Y as a whole hadly does anything right.

pinkshellos

Black Lives Matter !!
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 23, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Bug, Flying
Pokédex Entry
A timid Pokémon typically found in groups. The only thing that motivates her more than companionship is food.
I've always been more terrified of Bugsy than Whitney. One Focus Energy from that Scyther and at least one of your mons is finished, no matter what you do.

Koga was, surprisingly, pretty scary in my Firered run. I would've lost mons if I didn't purposefully switch out one of my teammates to bring a Nidoking. Minimize on his Muk and Smokescreen on his surprisingly bulky Weezing are both super annoying. Plus the whole ninja thing is pretty bland to me.

Also Lance. No one needs three of the same evolutionary line. I like him as a character from the little bit he's portrayed with any personality whatsoever, but I hate having to battle him.

Reactions: io_

io_

life is a trip alright
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
I'm joining the squad that prefers Whitney to Clair, and Clair is honestly one of my least favourite Gym Leaders. Whitney honestly took me by surprise when I first played HGSS a few years back. From all the talk around how difficult she was that I'd heard before, I expected her to be characterised as this super-dedicated fighter like Maylene or some child prodigy. But she's literally just this goofy kid who likes answering quizzes or playing the Pokeathlon and only got into Pokemon because it was a trend, which was a nice change from some of the other leaders for me. She's still admirably impressive for her age and knows it ("I'm warning you - I'm good!" honestly kinda struck fear into me in my HG nuzlocke), but doesn't go on and on about her greatness like Clair does. She cries at the end, but it doesn't take her long to stop and she's much more cheerful after giving you the Badge and seeing you at the Pokeathlon. Clair on the other hand is... just the worst. Even after she makes me go to the Dragon's Den and answer all the questions, she still won't accept her loss until the leader of the group reprimands her. I can forgive some kid throwing a tantrum for a little bit and then giving me the Badge once she calms down on her own. But Clair is a lot older and comes across as very entitled and arrogant, and needs someone else to tell her off before she does anything.

While both Gym Leaders are difficult I personally find HGSS Whitney a little easier to counter than HGSS Clair - though that's just me and it could be the other way around for lots of people. There's a Drowzee/Machop trade in Goldenrod and you can buy Fire Blast and Thunder TMs in their Department Store. In HG playthroughs with healing, I've been able to take out the hellish Miltank with Fire Blast Quilava and Thunder Flaaffy before, and the latter is guaranteed to be found from Primo's Mareep egg. (In my HG nuzlocke I also caught a Heracross from Headbutt trees but. I did get very lucky there ;p) Clair, however, has those godawful Sniper Hyper Beam/Hydro Pump strats which not only obliterate Ice types but also Steel types that are neutral to Water and can't take a crit, and those are some of the best answers to Dragons in this generation. She did crit OHKO my Starter which. I am still salty about also ;p

celebrandas

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 3, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Ice, Steel
In terms of gym mechanics? Surge wins this every time for me. I hate his gym's "puzzle".

In terms of toughest gym battle? The ghost leader from Sinnoh (Fantina?) was my least favorite. I always struggled with that gym, though I haven't played a Sinnoh game in years and can't remember why.

For Elite Four members and Champions? I have two: Alder from Unova and Drake from Hoehn. Alder is my least favorite champion simply because I've never actually fought him. That whole plotline seemed silly to me. Drake is my least favorite E4 member simply because he's the only dragon trainer I've ever really struggled with. Maybe it's just because I didn't like the Hoehn ice types until Gen 6 when Froslass was an option, but I never had a good counter when I got to his battle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)