• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

General Least favourite gym leaders/E4 members/champions

PageEmperor

Currently busy grinding in my nuzruns and studying
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
Just a guy with way to many ongoing Nuzlockes.
What the title says, who are some of your least favourite checkpoints in the game? For me...

Gen6 Electric leader - In one of my X runs, I challenged him without a Ground mon (Had a Dugtrio who died to a gym trainer) and he was absolutely annoying and a pain in the ass. He is also super bland (an inventor... thazzit? No other interesting personality?) and why is he in the show? Whatever, I don't care for the show anymore.

Gen1 Rock leader - I'm actually not against him at all, it's just that there is a PokeCommunity thread that questions 'is he god?' and it might be the most pandering, unfunny, idiotic and stupid forum thread I have ever seen in my 19 years of living. It probably even halved my IQ.

Gen5 champion - You must be a really bad trainer to randomly lose to a NPC like that, and when you see that his actual team and half his guys are weak to Fire, it all becomes clear why he lost in the first place.

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
For some reason, Steven in ORAS often gives me a hard time. Maybe it's because he's way harder than nearly everything else since ORAS is mostly piss easy. Or maybe it's because Armaldo and Cradily are kind of hard to check if you have certain Water mons. Or maybe it's because of having two Sturdy mons. Or maybe it's just his asshole Megagross that tends to crit at the worst times and is nigh impossible to deal with without either prior set up or a Steel type.

SimplyUnknown

Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A silent watcher who speaks only when something needs to be said. Offers free hugs to those who need them.
Mine has to be the Brains and Brawn double battle in X/Y. It's a surprisingly difficult battle from a game that has a reputation for being pretty easy. And it's a battle that can't be cheated a bit by battling them one on one. I always walk away from that fight either with at least one death or incredibly close to one.

Fantina in Platinum is also a bit of one because of her Shadow Claw Haunter and that Mismagius with great type coverage and a surprising amount of bulk.

Neotornado

Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
I need to buy a pro account? (He/Him)
Pokémon Type
Electric, Grass
Pokédex Entry
Broke his own romhack with an egg. Still not sure how.
Most of the fighting trainers in X/Y are pretty difficult, though that one is pretty much "hey do you have a fairy yet? Preferably sylveon? if not, then perish."
Outside of that, totem mimikyu is always a pain to teambuild for, as the combo of high speed + coverage + hypnosis spam haunter ally heavily constrains what options I can take into that fight, most of the time I just pray for torkoal before that fight.

Killjoy

Oops! All Unova!
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/He
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
the ride never ends, and crying is not an emergency
Surge.
Okay, first of, why is his gym behind the stupid Cut Tree? Why make us suffer to carry Cut user or waste a spot in someone's moveset for this horrible HM? Second, the gym """puzzle""" is, wait for it, utter trash. In literall and metaphorical sense. And third, he gives me a vibe of some asshole "ex-military" brodude who goes to Celadon Department Store wearing the military-like clothes to get discounts.. not to mention he is a gym leader so he already probably has discounts in markets. And the last thing... why his Pikachu and Raichu spam the Double Team SO MUCH. Stop it, I'm already dead at the +3 evasion bonus!

Oh and I just.. personally can't stand Misty. And not even because she is kinda hard to beat (curse you Starmie), but like... I just CAN'T STAND HER. Thatse it.

MouseWithADinosaurTail

A Comedian At Heart
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
She's like a sea urchin. Tough and prickly on the outside, but delicate and easily wounded if hit the wrong way. Please handle gently.
I would rip out Grimsley's spine if I could.

Neotornado

Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
I need to buy a pro account? (He/Him)
Pokémon Type
Electric, Grass
Pokédex Entry
Broke his own romhack with an egg. Still not sure how.
Most of the fighting trainers in X/Y are pretty difficult, though that one is pretty much "hey do you have a fairy yet? Preferably sylveon? if not, then perish."
Outside of that, totem mimikyu is always a pain to teambuild for, as the combo of high speed + coverage + hypnosis spam haunter ally heavily constrains what options I can take into that fight, most of the time I just pray for torkoal before that fight.

Diesel Musk

Conqueror of the Pewter Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 17, 2019
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
He, Him, His, etc.
Pokémon Type
Fighting, Rock
Pokédex Entry
A no-nonsense Pokemon with an affinity for Guns, Grit, and Gravelers.
Basically, my least favorite are all the water type leaders. IDK, just don't sit right with me.

Duke_Maniac

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 4, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Pokémon Type
Grass, Psychic
Claire

Took out a Slowking of mine with Gyrados, and the nearly took out my Meganium, Because her kingdra has sniper and kills almost every pokemon in the game on a Crit

When I did another not failed playthrough, I took no chances and put 2 X speeds on my Heracross and used Swords Dance to wipe her whole team

MouseWithADinosaurTail

A Comedian At Heart
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
She's like a sea urchin. Tough and prickly on the outside, but delicate and easily wounded if hit the wrong way. Please handle gently.
Claire

Took out a Slowking of mine with Gyrados, and the nearly took out my Meganium, Because her kingdra has sniper and kills almost every pokemon in the game on a Crit

When I did another not failed playthrough, I took no chances and put 2 X speeds on my Heracross and used Swords Dance to wipe her whole team
oH GOD I FORGOT ABOUT CLAIRE

MouseWithADinosaurTail

A Comedian At Heart
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
Alright @Duke_Maniac here's a story

My black run was going amazing. I had an extremely solid team, and even the pokemon I had that weren't smogon favorites were SURPRISINGLY beastly. (I had a swanna that tanked a thunderbolt, a stoutland that solo'd three quarters of Marshall's team, and a cinccino that could one shot everything.) I'd never beaten a black run at that point despite having tried upwards of five times, and it was my dream to beat a nuzlocke in my very first pokemon game, a game that's important to me.

Fought Shauntal, it went great. Fought Caitlin, it wen't superb.

Went to fight Grimsley. I didn't have a direct counter to him, so i went with what I had. He sent out his bisharp, I sent out my cinccino. Managed to put the bisharp to sleep. Then said, hey, that's a dark type, I've got a normal type with only one normal type move, let me lower its defense to help out. So I used tickle.

It had defiant.

Needless to say, it was a bloodbath after that.

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
A Pokémon shrouded in hearsay and urban legend, spoken of only in whispered tales and hushed gossip.
People always rage about Whitney. Like, okay, she took me by surprise with Scrappy Stomp in in my first ever Soul Silver play (not a Nuzlocke), but other than usual issues of being a young kid playing a game back in Gen 2 Silver and struggling, she's never been a problem. Instead, Misty is my Whitney. That Starmie is just murder for me. Bring Pikachu? Tanks the Electric attack and blasts Pika to doom with Bubblebeam/Water Pulse. Bring Belsprout? Starmie cares not for my type advantage. Ivysaur? Okay, Gen I's fine here, but prepare confuse hax in Gen III. I do damage to it? RECOVER!

Pretty much, every time I do a Kanto run, I'm forced to skip her and do everything in Vermilion I can before taking her on to ensure I don't get trashed, no matter what I start with.

Honorable mention is Grimsey, who has the distinction of the only trainer to ever actually make me use a Destiny Knot. Friggin' Liepard kept haxing my Lucario down on my first ever Black 2 play with Attract.

Killjoy

Oops! All Unova!
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/He
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
the ride never ends, and crying is not an emergency
I see that we are at roasting Unova Elite 4, so I'm just going to drop Marshal in here, because fuck this guy. I mean, Unova Elite 4 IS scary all together, no matter how we look at them (I mean.. haha Liepard, Liepard sucks, untill Grimsley just makes it hax you to death and then shot you in the head, probably), but Marshal is my Pokemon killer number one.

His Pokemons are just terrifying. Rock moves ON EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM, maybe they have awfull accuracy BUT IT WILL HIT YOU IN MOMENT YOU LAST EXPECT IT TO DO. Payback and U-Turn to mess up your Psychic types. RETALIATE. A motherfucking RETALIATE of all things. Grass Knot is Grass Knot. Guts? Check. STURDY? CHECK. Sheer Force? You better BELIEVE IT.

Last edited:

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
In my FireRed playthrough, Misty's Starmie was HORRIBLE. I only managed to beat it by using Sleep Powder and Absorb and somehow being blessed enough that it never woke up. (If I'd remembered that Bullet Seed was special in Gen 3, I'd have used the TM on my Oddish before the battle.)

In Omega Ruby... Freaking. NORMAN. Two freaking Slaking. If I hadn't had a Masquerain with Intimidate, it could have been a bloodbath. And if I hadn't ground up my Machop into a Machoke, I would have had absolutely nothing to defeat Norman's ace, and I would have wiped right there. As it was, not all of my Pokemon made it out alive.

Duke_Maniac

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 4, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Pokémon Type
Grass, Psychic
I’ve never had problem with the Unova Elite 4
Mostly because I’ve always had a way to cheese them

Shantal B/W: Stoutland
B2/W2 Force Chandulere to use a Fire move and Switch to my Aracnine which had Flash Fire
Grismley: Fighting Move
Catlin: Bug or Dark move
Marshall: Gliscor

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
I once did a non-nuzlocke duotype run of White 2, with Water and Ground as my types. As it happens, Iris's Lapras perfectly countered all of my Pokemon of both types, so after several rather unpleasant tries, I had to stall out Thunderbolt with my Samurott (the only mon bulky enough to survive), then use the turns afterward to restore my team before KOing Lapras with Revenge.

I can't imagine having to do a monolocke of any game, yet alone an Unova game. If I ever do anything resembling a monolocke, it will probably be Nuzlocke on Ice style, in which I can also catch Pokemon of a certain color that pertains to the type. Or perhaps I'll just do a colorlocke in which all of my Pokemon have to be a certain color to be catchable. At any rate, I'll need to be more experienced with nuzlockes before I feel comfortable adding those kind of extra rules.

RevenantArcan

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Psychic
ORAS Norman.

Norman is enough of a problem in vanilla RSE. Facade means you can't really status him, and if you're using moves with a paralysis/burn/poison chance you're going be praying that the 10% chance never kicks in.

But then they replaced Facade with Retaliate. And ohhhh boy that turns an already challenging fight into nightmare fuel. Retaliate was already scary coming off a Watchog in BW, let alone a goddamn Slaking. And the fact that you've got face it from both a Vigoroth and Slaking No.2 is makes it worse.

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
The twins in Emerald are one of the most terrifying gyms in all of Pokémon. They're a joke in all the other games, but the two extra Pokémon they get in Emerald make them a nightmare. Even a Dark-type isn't really safe because Claydol has Earthquake and Solrock has Flamethrower/Solarbeam.

Also, Totem Mimikyu needs to die (redie?) in a fire. It does not need +1 everything on top of a busted Ability, and an annoying type combination, and being able to call a Haunter with Hypnosis and a GENGAR with Shadow Ball. On top of all that, I just hate Mimikyu with a burning passion.
Remove this thing please?

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Also, Totem Mimikyu needs to die (redie?) in a fire. It does not need +1 everything on top of a busted Ability, and an annoying type combination, and being able to call a Haunter with Hypnosis and a GENGAR with Shadow Ball. On top of all that, I just hate Mimikyu with a burning passion.
Remove this thing please?
I am not looking forward to fighting this thing in my Moon nuzlocke. I do have a Trumbeak with Pluck, so if I can just keep him alive long enough, I can get rid of that pesky Lum Berry it holds and HOPEFULLY be able to poison it to death with my Grimer (who I also hope survives that long).

Granted, I've only gotten so far as beating the second trial... and on that note, Totem Wishiwashi is RIDICULOUS. Rain boosted Water Gun under Schooling deals an OBNOXIOUS amount of damage, it summons an Alomomola that uses Heal Pulse, AND it holds a Sitrus Berry. It's gonna be a while before I write/draw anything about my Moon run, because it's a sequel to a sequel, but I can already tell you what the title of that particular part of the comic will be: "Summon Bigger Fish!"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)