• Ash has been all over the news lately and this site is no exception! Check out Ashes to Ashes, the latest featured run!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes recieving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our new Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • Happy tapaversary, Guest! It's been about a year since the Tapatalk Takeover; if you'd like to make a donation to us to celebrate the fact that we tapped out of that site, please click here.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about the new Critique Level Tags!
  • The second episode of Nuzlocke City Radio is here! Tune in for our discussion on the history and analysis of gijinkas, catch up on the biggest forum news, and we finally settle the score between Team Aqua and Team Magma in The Debatelockers!

Written Story Screenshot Kanto Mixed Media Mature Commentary Kantonian Fables - a Lorelocke of Leaf Green (Chapter 6 is up-17/10/19)

Thread Description
A Screenshot/Written story run of the Lorelocke rules

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
I loved the integration of story and gameplay in this update! Everything was woven in so well, from the fossil guy, the rapier dojo, and even the berry dude! It just really shows how much you're really taking your time and making this as rich and intricate as possible. I also find it interesting that, while Akino and Carn were more like traditional Pokemon evolutions, Cinder was more of a gradual change. I predict most of the evolutions in the future will play out that way.

sunburstblue

blue stars burn brighter
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Water
Pokédex Entry
Well, her Pokédex No. is #274, which is Nuzleaf. Could anything be more hilariously fitting for this forum?
This is such a comprehensive and unique idea! I'm absolutely in love with the idea of lore rules (and the art work was really good)! Kantonian Fables is looking good so far! 👍 Keep it up!

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker and Nuzlocke Completionist
🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi all, welcome to another update of Kantonian Fables! I'd like to start with a mini apology: Sorry this update took a little longer than all the ones before it. Real life has been crazy busy, as usual I guess, and honestly this might happen again in the future. The good news though is that the Jewish holidays are starting next week and I'll have a lot more free time from work in the next few weeks, so hopefully I can make it up to you guys with more frequent updates!

@Trollkitten - Indeed things are getting more and more complicated as Rakugo travels further away from his little fishing village home. The world outside of Pewter province is a far more dangerous place as you'll learn soon, and the monsters that inhabit it are not the main reason for that. Thank you! Well I'm curious what you'll do with your own version of this mysterious mountain. Umm if it wouldn't have corrupted me mindlessly I might consider a bite of Nidoran meat mixed with Moon Powder to get a few extra years, but maybe that's just me :).

@Lumaeus - That is so very cool, I'm always happy to learn new religious myths and I envy the fact you probably took many courses in these subjects. My main source of knowledge of Jewish Mythology has been my own fascination with various mythologies, as well as bible classes who were one of my favorite classes throughout my school years (and you might be surprised to learn (or not :P), but they were often taught from a secular point of view, sometimes even with references from other near-east mythologies especially when covering the book of Genesis). Well "In the Hall of the Mountain king" must be the only piano piece I actually remember by heart, so it is constantly stuck in my head as well even if it is just mentioned . Ha, well the way gender is treated in Hebrew is quite different, so I find all these bizarre lingual compromises no less odd.

@BlueManSora - Yep! I do wonder if it's not too cruel, but as you have some control over this rule I think it's doable, but really won't fit my current team. Yes I'm really eager to find someone who could breathe fire over Cinder already :).

@mewstein - Well, indeed those weren't the best catches but like you said my current team is pretty good as is so I'm overall ok with what I got so far. Ha, well Cinder is doing his best, and to make Greta Thunberg happy is without a doubt a worthy goal. Well, both these legends were influenced by various stories, even though none of them are based on a single one and are both just mythologies of my version of Kanto. The concept of eating a corrupted forbidden meat that gives you power is common in many cultures, and the idea of the king who slowly destroys their land in greed is also a common one but if I'll be honest aside from the LOTR influences and the concept of the "Mandate from Heaven", "the fall of the house of usher" has also affected my writing there. Dwarven kings who live in mountains and rule entire kingdoms is a concept taken from European mythologies, especially Nordic and German ones (google Goldemar's name for an example btw, a little easer egg I added in, and in case you are wondering there are many of those scattered in Kantonian Fables). The story of the moon goddess is based on more than one mythology (sadly for our ancients, the concepts of rape and wedding were very much connected). I'd say the main influence I had was the famous story of Persephone and Hades as the explanation for the seasons. Ha, happy you liked the Colo Colo myth. There are so many fascinating tales about mythological creatures out there we rarely get exposed to and that tell a lot about human thinking over the ages, and I love finding such rare gems and sharing them. Don't we all feel drained out of our vitality from time to time? The Colo Colo is to blame!

@Tired Pigeon - Thank you so much! I do my best to share these awesome stories, both made by me and by our ancients with you guys. Yep, Colo Colo will be too harsh for my current team!

@Spectacles - Thank you, I'm really happy you say that as it took me ages to find what I believed were elegant enough solutions to using the gameplay and build my lore around it. Well observed! I refuse to officially confirm it but you are indeed onto something :).

@sunburstblue -Welcome and thank you!!! Happy you like the lorelocke rules and all the credit for the beautiful art goes to the brilliant @mewstein . Hope you'll continue enjoying Rakugos journey through this land.

Chapter 5 - Wild-Land:

"The city of Cerulean was like no other city I have seen before it. When I have finally entered through its western gates the sun was setting, still even in the dying light of dusk the city's glamour shined through every house and alley. The city looked so much cleaner and well organized compared to Viridian. Patrols of city guardsmen, sometimes accompanied by a tamer from Misty's dojo and a few of his or her monsters, walked the streets. The markets were closing as I arrived, and still I could see the richness of their supplies, mostly goods from the south and an abundance of freshwater animals which were caught that very day in the grand Cerulean River that crosses the city and supplies it with its food and the livelihood of its people. When I told the merchants I came all the way through the tunnels of Mount Moon they were highly impressed, asking for my name and sharing with me what was left of their goods in the end of day. From their response I could understand that very few people came from the Pewter province these days, if any."

"I kept walking through the streets and immediately noticed that in every corner I could see the famous coat of arms of both the city and the Waterfall dojo, carved into the walls of the buildings and appearing on the city flags: a koi jumping over a gushing waterfall and a starfish with a gem in its heart glowing bright in the dark blue sky above it. It seemed that much like what the Mountainside dojo symbolized to the people of Pewter city, the Waterfall dojo was to the people of Cerulean city. It was the source of their pride and what gave them their own unique identity.

As it was getting late I found the first inn who agreed to accept me, waiting to unpack my bag, get me a decent dinner served on a plate for a change, and finally get a good night sleep in a bed. But as I entered I heard the jolly sounds of a social gathering. A large number of locals were cheering loudly and drinking, and standing in the middle of them I saw none other than Paris. They seemed to be celebrating his great deeds, calling him 'Paris the Fearless', and 'The tamer who bows before no one'.

I was trying to decide whether to stop by and say hello or head to my room first and skip this event hoping to later get a moment in private with my cousin, but before I could do that Paris spotted me and called out loud: 'good fellows of Cerulean! Come meet my young cousin, he dreams of becoming a hero like me one day!'. The folks all laughed, gave me a drink and forced me to sit with them, telling me of how great my cousin Paris was. 'This man, the nephew of the great Kisho, defeated a mighty sea serpent which attacked a group of fishermen at the northern docks, even before the warriors of the Waterfall dojo could get there!', 'this young lad had only been here for a few months yet he had become a local champion, fearing no one, not even the southern fools from the Rapier dojo!'. My cousin, once my hero, one step ahead of me as always.

After the party calmed down we stayed just the two of us and talked. Paris told me that since we last met he decided to head beyond Mount Moon and make a name for himself while investigating if the tales we've been told about the Glorious Eight and the grand kingdoms of Kanto were true. I tried to tell him about my conversation with Master Brock and my own journey and thoughts about the state of Kanto but he didn't seem very interested in what I had to say. He just kept talking eagerly about how weak and decadent Kanto had become, mentioning, as if it didn't mean much to him, that he had recently defeated Master Misty and that the folks of the Waterfall dojo hold a grudge against him for that. I remember his words very well: 'These dojo masters are nothing but empty symbols, carrying the titles of past legends as if they were decorating themselves with the feathers of other birds. Their old traditions are setting them back and are all that is left from their hollow exterior. I must be like your father or like the heroes of the second age and carve my own destiny in this land. This is the dawn of a new age of heroes, the time for great men like me, perhaps like you if you could prove yourself, to make this land great again like it used to be'. I was amazed, even afraid; of how much Paris has changed and grown. He has always seen himself as an aspiring monster tamer that one day will make a name for himself, but talking with such disrespect about the Glorious Eight, comparing himself not only to my father which he never really knew but to the greatest heroes of the past? Paris had really changed.

I tried to learn more from him, to understand what he did and where he was heading. All he told me that he was planning to head north soon for one final quest to leave his mark on this city, and that he will then travel south where the real great cities of Kanto are. I offered him to travel north together and told him I was planning to look for that Bill fellow Brock told me about, but he told me he had no time for such meaningless quests. I tried to ask him about the Rapier dojo and told him that they attacked a poor tamer in Mount Moon, but he merely shrugged and said they were another group of fools that had recently grown in power, who were trying to use this time of general turmoil and decadence for their own benefit. 'They are hardly a threat to anyone if you ask me, but they are right to claim that it is time for the old dojos to make room for new talented folks'. We said our goodbyes and each headed to our beds.

I spent the next few days restocking, exploring the city, and helping the guards a bit with their day to day tasks as is customary for a traveling monster tamer, while asking the locals about the current state of their city as Master Brock suggested I'll do. Many spoke about Paris and how he defeated Master Misty herself in a most humiliating battle, only a few days after saving the town from the rampaging monster. Others said that the Waterfall dojo was doing its best now with the appearance of the Rapier dojo disciples who were coming in their masses from the south with royal decrees saying they can travel as they please and should not be disturbed, and that the kingdom of Saffron has pushed their town too far, and were hoping Mister Misty will do something about it. A few of them even remembered the days in which they could travel freely to Pewter city and were impressed to know I traveled in the name of Master Brock himself. It seemed like everyone was missing the good old days, but could hardly really remember what that meant.

When I asked about Bill though very few people even knew who he was. Some told me he was a mad and dangerous warlock that harassed the people of Cerulean more than once, and that I shouldn't come near his hut."

"One older person though told me Bill used to be the kingdom's magician and a great traveling hero, part of a group they called "The Mary Three", but that he eventually lost his mind when the king turned him into his personal fool, until he finally left and secluded himself from society."

"And so after about three weeks in Cerulean, getting to know its people and their ways, I decided I had to head north to find Bill and get some answers from him as Brock told me to do. Before I left I deposited Vahana, Ichor and Pitrel at the stables of the second largest temple in town, dedicated to the goddess of agriculture, so they could help the local farmers fight pests and wild monsters. I made the priests swear they will take good care of them, and promised them I will return and visit. Ichor and Pitrel have been with me for only a short time and when I caught them I knew in my heart they will probably serve one of the many temples of Kanto eventually, but saying goodbye to Vahana was so hard after all we've been to together, and I still had hopes at that time that I will one day take him back with me.

Before I left, the locals warned me that in the north, past the grand golden bridge of their city spreads a great jungle with feral monsters and deadly dangers and that very few make it into the depth of this land and return, mainly hunters or foolish monster tamers hoping to tame exotic beasts they can't really master over. They have also told me that this land is occupied by many tribal people, most nomadic in nature, some friendly while other savage and violent towards outsiders. I told them that I will bring proof that I have made it all the way through this land, and will slay or tame every hostile monster that will stand in my way while trying to clear the old road so others could walk it as well. I know now I was a fool to speak this way, but at that time I started to develop a taste for glory, and feeling envious of my cousin I wanted my name to be known. I wanted to be respected for who I was."

And so it was fitting that as I was leaving town ready to pass the famous golden bridge, I saw Paris coming towards me, returning from his latest expedition. He was accompanied by a small group of followers and fans, as always, chanting about his latest great deed in which he slayed one of the famous local demon monsters who was tricking poor travelers to follow her and then devouring their souls. He was holding the head of the slain beast, which looked like a deformed fox like creature. As he saw me he stopped and declared loudly 'Cousin! Right in time. I have slain another bane of this region. What do you say we celebrate, and show these good people a monster battle to entertain and impress them with my strength? My monsters are tired so it will be a great opportunity for you to fight back'. As usual when it came to Paris, my pride gained control over me, and I accepted the challenge. I shamefully admit, it wasn't the code of the hero or the traditions of the monster tamer that made me act as I did. I just wanted to humiliate him.

I decided to open the battle with Cinder as he won't be much use against Paris's Squirtle, and I of course can't open with Eve due to the Peacekeeping lorerule. Mega punch turns out to be a really useful move! (when it hits that is).

His Pidgeotto wisely went for the Sand-Attack strategy which meant my not that accurate moves were even less likely to hit.

But at last he was down. Next Paris sent his starter, so I decided to switch to Carn.

The level difference was quite big; luckily poor Paris decided it was too early to evolve his Squirtle for some reason. I first tried to take it down with Fury Attacks but as it kept increasing its defense I had to change my strategy.

I went for Poison Sting which landed a poisoning pretty quickly, and then tried to use this time to increase my critical hit chances to get past the defenses, but Squirtle used this time to weaken my HP with water guns.

The battle was real tense, and victory seemed to be within my grasp, but it was also getting way too dangerous. I decided not to risk it and switched out to Akino.

Who finished the turtle after getting hit once. Great, the greatest threats are out, who's next?

Well, that wasn't very wise of him. I used this time to set my Harden and heal, until I finally finished this little bugger (which took way too much time as my only damaging moves were Confusion and Poison Powder).

Here comes the last pokemon. It needs a critical hit to get past my current defenses and without it is rather useless.

And so, it was down, and the battle was won!

"The battle was tense and some of my monsters were completely exhausted, but to my surprise I was victorious once more. I don't remember much of what happened after that battle. Paris seemed too angry to even speak and said a few words about his monsters being tired from their glorious adventures, and that he didn't need to show his might in such silly fake battles and have showed when it mattered in true acts of heroism. And so, he left. Again, things have ended badly between us, so much not like I wanted it to be."

"I do remember how that the locals asked me for my name and cheered. I can't deny it, winning and being appreciated felt good, and still it was also bitter knowing that my fame has come from the humiliation of Paris and that our old friendship took another blow. I think that was the first time I realized glory was not the main thing I was seeking, though at that time I didn't really know what was."

"I crossed the famous golden bridge and finally headed into the jungles. It was odd, but after less than a month in a city I realized I was actually missing the wilds and felt there more at home.

Though it wasn't long before society came back to chase me. After only two days on my travels, as I was walking on the main road that at that part was not much more than a trail partially covered in vines and leaves, I suddenly saw two men and a woman, dressed in the red and black battle vests of the Rapier dojo. At first I considered turning away but I realized I didn't have a lot of other directions I could go at as the vegetation was too dense. I considered getting all my monsters out in case they'll decide to attack but didn't want to turn their suspicions too much in case they were not interesting in me. Luckily, Carn, Eve and Goldemar were already out with me, Eve scouting the area, and Goldemar and Carn helping me cut my way through the thick vegetation.

And so as they got closer to me I noticed they were indeed ready to attack. I took a step back but it was already too late. They knew who I was for some reason, I'm still not sure how, and they were looking for me. "

"They gave me two options: follow them and meet their master who was eager to meet the tamer who came all the way from Pallet and defeated Fearless Paris, or have my monsters taken away from me. Needless to say I chose to fight."

"Goldemar charged directly at one of the grunts piercing his hand with his horn. I'm not sure if that disciple had a tamed monster at his disposal or not, but if he did he didn't even manage to get to his taming orb, and with a cry of pain ran away. I've never seen Goldemar being so fierce and powerful before!"

"Eve took to the female disciple and her grassy monster. She hit that poor leafy creature so hard she knocked it unconscious and made its owner flee with it in her hands."

"The leader of this group however wasn't that easy to defeat. He went straight at Carn with both his whip and two of his monsters, a dreadful poisonous serpent and rat monster with razor sharp teeth."

"In a bloody battle Carn managed to defeat them all at once, hovering with the grace of a dancer. He was still holding one of his blades at the throat of the disciples' leader who was begging for me to reconsider and join their ranks. 'Don't be a fool, you have so much potential. The Glorious Eight crush the dreams of fools like you every day, either killing their monsters or making them their servants and by so keeping them weak. Only the Rapier dojo allows every member to fulfil their potential to the fullest!'

I felt sorry for the man and let him go. In retrospect this might have been a mistake, but I don't regret it. That day though I made myself some powerful enemies."

Game note: As you probably noticed Goldermar evolved. Now the interesting thing is that his Royal Ancestry lorerule which will limit me from switching into it in battle only takes effect when it evolves into Nidoking which I can do as I have a Moon Stone. Still I will therefore, for now, not evolve it. An example of how the lorelocke changed my in-game decisions.

"I continued my journey through the lush forest, and nature seemed to be at full bloom in this part of the land and in this time of spring. Massive flowers were blossoming, giant fruits hanging from every branch, and I could hear the different sounds of the wild animals and monsters that roamed all around me. I knew that beyond this jungle lays a rocky plain the spread west towards the springs from which the Cerulean River emerges, and that there the house of Bill is supposed to be found, and I wanted to get there as fast as I could. Still, traveling through this forest took many days, even more than through the forests of Viridian who might have been darker and more ominous, but at least it wasn't as dense and tangled.

One of these days I met another group of travelers. They were a bunch of armed warriors from one of the friendly local tribes, with no trained monsters on their sides, who were hired by a rich noble who came all the way from Celadon city wanting to explore this region. He introduced himself as Bolton, and said he was looking for the seeds of a very particular flower to add to his garden, while collecting rare herbs on the way to make his journey profitable. I camped with his men that night, and one of them warned me of a deadly creature the locals called "the vampire vine" or "the devil's snare". Half plant half monster, this creature has taken grasp of one of their friends and has vanished deep into the forest. He said that Bolton refused to let them stop and look for the poor man. He then asked if I could keep an eye for him in my travels. I promised him to do so, took notes of the description of this monster, and decided to leave the group at dawn and go exploring. "

"To my horror I found the poor man the very next day, yet he wasn't among the living anymore. His body was lying on the floor, yet to my surprise no scavenger was feeding on it. I approached it, and that's when I realized it was completely drained, dried down to the bone, with no blood left in it.

As I wondered what horror could have done this to him I saw a slight movement next to my leg. As I turned around something grasped me by both my leg and arm and lifted me up into the air. Foolishly I didn't have any of my monsters out with me at that moment, but luckily acting on mere instinct I sent my hand to my belt and activated the first taming orb I could grab. It was the one belonging to Akinosuke, my loyal butterfly monster, not a creature with sharp claws or a piercing beak that could cut through stalks. At that point I realized I was entangled in the monstrous vines of the horrible plant creature, its sharp tendrils piercing at my limbs and grasping me extremely tightly. There was nothing Akino could do to help me, every hit, tackle or poison would have hit both me and the plant. The creature's head, if it had any, was nowhere to be seen so its confusing rays wouldn't harm it, and I was running out of time as the creatures started piercing through my flesh making me bleed into its core. "

"Luckily, even without my orders, Akino was wise enough to release its stunning powder and cause the creature to twitch without control and lose some of its grasp over me. It was my time to act. I couldn't get to my blade, my bow was of no use, and I knew no monster I owned could hit that creature without killing both me and it in the same strike. I threw one of my taming orbs at it and prayed."

"I have captured the fiend, trapped the trapper! Still my wounds were deep, and I had to stay put and treat myself for a few more days before I could walk freely again. To this day I carry a piercing wound in the back of my knee.

After I buried the dead tribesman, I used my recovery days to start and train my new captured monster. At first I thought this was hopeless and planned to deposit the cursed creature in the hands of the nature priests and let them decide what to do with this blood loving monster. But I also saw this as a great opportunity to tame a sort of monster that can rarely be trained. Some folks foolishly believe we monster tamers have a special ability that allows us to subdue these wild monsters. They do not know that we, much like them, are in the same danger to be eaten alive by our own monsters as much as by the wild ones, something which isn't all that rare. It is only using trust, and some trickery, that we manage to tame these beasts for the benefits of humanity, and well, ourselves. Hopefully, also for the benefit of the monsters.

And so slowly I created trust between me and the she-plant, which I named Yateveo, or Veo for shorts."

"I began by giving her insects Eve had caught for me (though it was hard to make poor Eve give up on those). Then I started watering her with a mix I made that included just a tiny bit of nectar to make her like me and associate me with the elevating feeling. Finally it was time for the most difficult task which I did every day for over a month, even while we traveled. I would end every day by offering her a few drops of my blood. If she took them I would make Akino spread his stunning powder at her making her suffer and twitch, and stop her right before she planned to attack me to get more blood. Eventually, she stopped coming for my blood and so I rewarded her with animal or monster blood, and so I made her lose her desire to devour humans. Still her hunger was hard to control, and she wanted more and more blood, which required me to either hunt for her daily, or let her roam free and catch her own prey. We tame monsters, and monsters got to eat."

Now to some behind the scenes stuff. My route 24 catch was a Bellsprout. I honestly got confused and thought Oddish was this game's grass type so I was quite surprise to see this little lass. I went to randomize a rule and was surprised to see that all options were quite hard to deal with. Well, when balancing lorerules I do try to make more appealing pokemon more challenging to use or catch, and a Bellsprout before Misty is surely a nice and useful catch.

I randomized 1-3. And got a 2.

2) Man-eating Plant (Blood Thirst)
Must kill a pokemon in every battle it attends. If not, it is considered fatigued and can't be used in battle until the next time you enter a pokecenter or sacrifice a non-bought revive.

Ouch. It is mechanically the same rule as my Zubat got (you can see that in the parentheses to make it easier for players to follow the different rules). Well, it could have been worse. I can always go back to a pokecenter, though it can really hold me back. The main problem will be grinding this girl as most areas in Kanto have at least one bird in them. Still, I need a Grass type real bad as my team is very ill-equipped against Misty. And so I caught her and added her to my team instead of Qing my Magikarp.

Carnivorous plants are real plants which can be found in some tropical areas around the world, and are able to eat and digest animals, usually small insects. In some rare occasions certain species can even devour small birds and even mammals. However in more than one mythology around the world the concept of living-plant creatures, sometimes deadly or carnivorous has appeared. The most famous "man-eating trees" reference though is much later and appears in the end of the 19th century in Victorian Era legends such as the "Vampire Vine", the "Tree of Madagascar" and the "Yateveo". In almost all of the these tales there seems to be a vicious, even demonic or evil, tree known only to the natives of the land, which can consume large animals and even poor human victims. It usually does so by looking unsuspicious and trapping its victim when they least expect it. These trees usually use their vines to catch and kill the prey, and then drink the blood from the dead body and throw it away. The Yateveo myth for example is of such a demonic tree which is supposedly found in both Africa and Central-America and before it attacks its prey it whispers to it "Ya-Te-Veo" which is Spanish for "I see you".

Another design note: this rule is quite harsh. I'll try it in this run and if I'll see it is too cruel I'll change it to trainer battles only to make grinding less cruel. I'm still not sure about it as I do enjoy the added challenge, so I guess I'll think about it as I'll go and keep it as is for now. What are your thoughts about this rule and the difficulty of the rules in general?

I also feel like this line is missing some interesting rules to spice things up. It was probably one of the first lorelocke lines I made if I remember correctly (back in my early drafts of what I called the "Monsterlocke"), and in those early days I didn't care a lot about how many rules each pokemon gets as long as they made sense thematically. I think I'll add two more rules for it in the next update 1.04 to make things more interesting.

"I continued my travels through the jungle until after about a month I finally passed it and reached the rocky lands of the north. I followed the ancient road west towards the famous springs, going upstream next to the Cerulean river."

"I was getting deeper and deeper into the territories of the savage tribes. These strange people had their own unique cultures and way of life, and were greatly feared by the city dwellers of Kanto. Some of them have also mastered ways to live side by side with certain monsters and use them without fully taming them. I had to fight a few of those wildmen in my journey west, sadly I had to kill a few of them and their monsters when I had no other choice, but I was never the aggressor and always tried to solve my conflicts as peacefully as I could, sometimes simply by sneaking past their camps or going through side roads instead of the main ancient road."

Had a stupid close call with Yateveo there as I almost lost her to a Confusion by a Slowpoke as I assumed it would either not have such a move or that I'll kill it first. I was wrong about both these assumptions, but luckily I managed to kill it anyway.

"My connection with Veo has grown dramatically stronger over this journey. It became my daily routine to hunt with her, and in order to tame her and change her wild habits I always felt the need to have her by my side. She was like no other monster I have seen before and it fascinated me. I felt that not only I was slowly training her, she was also beginning to change me.

One day as I was getting deep into uncharted lands, trying to bypass the main road hoping to avoid the tribes that used it, I stumbled upon a very bizarre scene. Five tribeswomen were sitting in a circle and chanting, and in between them a strange symbol was drawn on the land with blood, along with a few odd looking trinkets such as bones, small statues and organs of different animals and monsters. I tried to stay silent and watch them, but Yateveo who was by my side was drawn to the blood so much she couldn't control herself and started walking towards them. I tried to stop her but it was too late. The tribeswomen who seemed to be in the middle of some bizarre monster summoning ritual noticed us. To my surprise though they didn't fight even though they were all armed, and merely fled the scene as fast as they could. As I was trying to understand what was happening, and as Veo licked the blood from the earth, the creature started to incarnate before us! It was my chance to capture and tame a rare monster and I wasn't ready to lose it. I threw my taming orb and hoped for the best."

Route 25. Got an Abra! Quite a hard pokemon to catch. Let's randomize, 1-4. Got a 1.

1) Satanic Rituals
When you catch this pokemon in order to keep it you must - Sacrifice a pokemon you own, throw away 6 pokeballs of any kind, throw away 6 items, and throw away 6 berries/status healing items (can that within the first hour).

Oh wow, that's a harsh one! Still at least it will only work if I'll catch it, unlike another rule I could have gotten:

2) Trickster Magician
This pokemon specializes in stage magic and tricks. If you fail to catch it, throw away items worth 5000 pokeyen. As long as it is in your party after every gym battle randomly switch the held items of all your pokemon with each other and you can’t remove these items. Must know the move Trick if possible. Loses this lore rule when evolves into Alakazam.

Notice that this rule is quite different than most lorerules as it has an effect even if you fail to catch it.

Damn me, I thought my Bellsprout will be faster and that I could use Stun Powder, but now I realize I was wrong. I should have gone with Akino instead. Well, all I can do now is throw a pokeball and pray.

"But sadly my taming orb went through the the air as the mists that created the monster vanished. To this day I wonder which demon have I failed to tame, whether trying to capture it was even a wise idea, and why the tribeswomen tried to bring it into our world."

"Eve has proved herself to be an amazingly loyal and useful monster once more. She has helped me find my way in these wild lands by scouting the area and returning to me once every few days with news, and often food. Her physical strength has greatly increased as well and she became a master wind manipulator able to summon gusts at will. She was also getting much bigger, no longer the little fledgling she was when I caught her. Another one of my monsters, strong, impressive, and ready to take down whatever threat we faced."

"After a total of two months of travel I have finally reached the famous Cerulean Springs, also known by some of the locals as the Cerulean Cape. A very small village stood here called Fonshaim, and its inhabitants were very friendly and hospitable. To my surprise when I asked them about Bill they responded very differently from the folks in Cerulean city, saying his was a good man yet a loner, and that he on rare occasions he stopped by their village to buy supplies and entertain their children with his spells and illusions. I stayed at the village for two days and left to his hut."

"The hut seemed much larger and more impressive than I thought it would be. More like a cottage, still it wasn't in the best condition and one could easily see this place hasn't been properly maintained for at least a few years. I wasn't sure whether I should enter with any of my monsters by my side, but decided that it might offend Bill if I did. I therefore released Eve and told her to wait outside and stay alert, and knocked on the door. I waited for quite a long time, knocked a few more times, and as no one answered I opened the door."

"The sight that was revealed to me was surely not what I expected. The place was a mess. Chairs broken on the floor, bookshelves that fell down, many of the massive paintings were damaged, and it seemed like a great amount of potions and bizarre ingredients were scattered all over the place. But even more worryingly, I could hear an irritating sound, like whispers or fast movement through the air, and noticed tiny blinking lights appearing and fading throughout the room. It was then that I realized that the place was crawling with fairies! Clef-fairies to be exact. These tiny usually harmless creatures were destroying the place for their own amusement. I released Cinder and Goldemar who scared some of them away, and made my way to what looked like Bill's work room. There I saw what can only be described as a tiny horizontal pond, or perhaps a large liquid mirror? It was the size of a man, completely flat, was glowing blue and white, and appeared like some sort of a portal in midair. I tried to remember if I read about any such phenomena in my many books, and then realized this must be the gateway the Clef-farriers use to move between their wild fairy-realm and our world. I was too afraid to cross this portal, or even touch it to be honest, but I had a strong feeling this thing had something to do with Bill's absence. I tried looking through his writings and found that he has indeed opened this portal himself, hoping to learn more about the fairy realm. It took me at least an hour but I finally understood how to make this portal collapse and return everything that was sucked into it back into out world. I knew it was a risk and didn't know if I'll leave poor Bill with no way to return by accident, but figured I didn't have a lot of choices if I wanted to save him. I did as the writings said, using certain ingredients such as powdered Moon Stones and the leaves of a Mandrake, and eventually the ritual worked. The portal closed completely, and it the last moment Bill was tossed out of it while all the Clef-fairies were sucked back in."

"Bill thanked me deeply, and collapsed almost immediately after that. I spent the next few days cleaning the place up and taking care of the poor man. He seemed to be in his late 40s though looked much older. He had mystic markings all over his body, and a few battle scars, and seemed to be wounded from his time in the fairy land. There were no monsters in his house to my surprise except for an old cat monster of the Persian kind and a silent bird monster of the falcon breeds who stayed by his side at all times, and only left for short period of time to play around with Eve outside and stretch their wings. I however found a lot interesting books and spent my free time there studying them. Most of them focused on the fantastical monsters of Kanto, but a few were also history books about the four different ages of Kanto: The Age of the Gods, The Age of the Heroes, The Age of Men, and finally our current age known as The Glorious Age.

In time I also learned to know more about Bill. He was a usually silent person and didn't like to talk much about himself, but he mentioned more than once that he used to be a traveling adventurer and monster tamer who helped the people of Kanto, yet now he no longer desires to be among the people of the cities. After he learned to trust me more he mentioned that after his travels he became a King's personal magician, until one day he decided to leave as he realized his beloved king had become wicked and corrupted.

Finally one day I decided to speak to him openly and ask him for his help. 'Bill' I said, 'Brock has sent me to you for a reason. I can see Kanto has dramatically changed since the tales from the dawn of the Glorious age. People are suffering, roads have been taken by monsters and bandits, and the divine mandate of the Glorious Eight has been severely weakened to the point that other dojos are exploiting the people of the land, and whole towns are left defenseless. What can we do?'. I then gave him the letter Brock has told me to deliver to him, hoping he'll open up to me even more. As he read it, and a huge smile covered his face."

'The son of Kisho standing here before me with his very own party of tamed monsters speaking to me about saving Kanto, who would have thought... I wouldn't dare to assume your father has ever mentioned me? But no, you must have been too young when he... I knew your father very well Rakugo, we used to be inseparable. We traveled together along with our friend Tenketsu and were known as "the Mary Three". When I met your father he was already quite famous, yet the deeds we did together were no less heroic than the ones he was already known for if you ask me. Oh well, no one will sing of them nowadays after everything that happened in Saffron. All they'll remember is the acts of your father, and even that will slowly fade away. The people of this land had lost their desire to commemorate the past, and with that they have lost so much' said Bill while looking gloomier than I have ever seen him. We stood in silence for a few moments until he finally spoke again.

'But I'm straying off topic. I can see Brock has sent you to me so I'll give you answers and solutions. Well child, I'd be happy if I could but I have none of these to share with you. I don't know much about the way things are beyond Mount Moon these days, but here everything that was ever well seems to be in ruins. The Glorious Eight are weaker than ever, the Elite Four have lost any interest in our land, the kingdom of Saffron who was once my home has become an abomination which spreads out of control and consumes the whole of Kanto, and the new Rapier dojo eats whatever remains like a glutinous scavenger that knows no boundaries. Some suggest we are now still living in the Glorious Age, the one in which the great eight dojos were founded, but I fear that if things won't change we will soon be entering the fifth age of our world, the age so many have feared that one day will come – the age of decadence.'. He sighed loudly.

'Listen Rakugo, not all is lost yet. There are many good people in Kanto as I'm sure you've seen in your travels. The traditions of old have not yet been abandoned, and the desire for future harmony still lives in many hearts. If you'll go around Kanto you will find many allies. The Glorious Eight might all be dealing with their own problems these days, but perhaps you could make them see the bigger picture and unite and bring order again. If not, there are still many good people who won't stand idly while everything that was achieved in this age will be lost. And if no other hope remains... well, I guess you can try and face the Elite Four, though I wouldn't get my hopes up, as this institute is in a terrible condition even compared to the dojos of Kanto'.

I tried to make Bill tell me more about the Glorious Eight, the kingdom of Saffron, the Rapier dojo and his own past but he refused to say anything more than he already did. I could feel his sadness, even talking about it all as much as he did have taken its toll. 'You must find these answers yourselves Rakugo. Old tales and legends are crucial for our understanding of the world, but they only have meaning compared to the world in which we are living in. One cannot survive without the other; the past and the present are intertwined.'

'I hope I have helped you Rakugo, and the son of Kisho is always a welcomed visitor in my home. All I can give you now is the books of our history and legends that might answer your questions, as many supplies as you can carry with you, and my blessings.'

'Oh and one final thing' he added. 'Go now and visit the Waterfall dojo and earn Misty's respect and badge. While you are there try to earn her support and ask her the things you have asked me. The tamers of the Cerulean city dojo remember many truths from the early days of our age that most of the other dojos have forgotten. But after you do that avoid Saffron city as nothing good awaits you there, and head to Vermilion city. Seek a ship there known as the Sailingship Saint Anne. Its captain is a good friend of mine. Tell him I have sent you and he will help you in your cause. Godsspeed Rakugo.'"

"I have left Bill's house and headed back to Cerulean city. The journey back was to my delight much shorter as I took a boat that went downstream from Fonshaim all the way to Cerulean city and got there after only a week. It was the dog days and the summer was at its peak, yet the cool wind of the river helped me the pass the days in ease. Finally I have left the boat right before the famous golden bridge and began crossing it and entering the city. Little did I know that the city I have left has changed in the few months in which I was gone."

And this seems like a good place for a checkpoint. Next update, we fight Master Misty!

Last edited:

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Also a major Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
Interesting take on Bill there, in both his backstory, personality, and what quandrary the hero finds him in. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens when you take on Misty!

Tired Pigeon

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
It
Pokémon Type
Flying, Tough
Pokédex Entry
This pokémon is just too lazy.
Hmm what could have happened to Cerulean? Can't wait to see it!
Regarding the Man-eating Plant lore, I guess it's not that bad since it only works when the damm plant takes part in the battle. It can be annoying as f*ck, but I guess that's part of the challenge.
Now WTF those Abra lores hahahah.

mewstein

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019

Looks like James could take a few tips from Rakugo when it comes to taming bloodthirsty carnoplants - I'm not going to look at Bellsprout the same again after reading your Lovecraftian descriptions! What a shame you missed Abra - I guess you learnt a lesson there when it comes to who's got the superior speed stat.

As always, this chapter made for a interesting take on the Pokemon world - I'm looking forward to seeing the outcome of the Misty battle. Happy holidays!

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
I love the descriptions of the 'box' temples more and more every time they're mentioned! It really makes me want to do a little side story about what it would be like to work at one of those. Such an interesting universe you created! I also love the description of Veo and how Rakugo is working around her desire to eat him lol. Very creative! As for her rules, I do recommend making it every trainer battle. There are very few rules that I've made that I've enjoyed that take effect with both wild and trained Pokemon lol. It looks like Paris is doing much better than the last time we saw him (and giving off ancient anime-Gary vibes, which is great). This update makes me wonder if you're gonna go the dead Raticate route with him, and how that would play out. Bill was fascinating as well, and I think your version of that event seemed much more fitting to the tone of your story! Good luck with Misty!!

Arie Kazami

Your everyday, ordinary guy
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
He/They
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Just an Ordinary Trainer that doing his Nuzlocke
I really love every lore that you shown so far, pariculary Garuda!(I'm from Indonesia, that no surprise for me).

Geez, that Abra's rule terrifies me A LOT. Good luck for your run buddy!

Useron

Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 13, 2019
Yup, just binged all 5 chapterss. Great story, great ruleset and a very refreshing run with the lore. I think so far my favorite would have to be Goledemar. It really makes you have to consider your input and calculate if it's worth the risk. Anyways, keep up the great work! Looking forward to more.

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker and Nuzlocke Completionist
🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
First again, an apology. I meant to update this run much sooner but couldn't find my muse. I blame the gods, the spirit and all the monsters of this world! But in a glorious endeavor after setting on a quest I have found my lost muse, and can now share my mythical tales with you good folks. Thank you for your patience.

Also lorelocke rules note. I have since released update 1.05 of the lorelocke rules (check the update log if you are interesting - Update 1.05) which changed quite a lot of the rules, balancing them, making them hopefully more interesting, and often making them even more challenging. I'll be continuing this run using the latest version so I could test it as I go.

Finally, @mewstein just made such awesome art for Abra that fitted my vision of this lorerule perfectly, and what I just presented to you in story in the last update, so I had show off here!

@Trollkitten - Thank you! I'm trying to give a new twist on the original characters, but still letting them save some of their original style. Misty coming next!

@Tired Pigeon - You'll find out real soon :). I agree! Even though I don't want to make grinding too annoying. I decided to change this rule a bit to make it less annoying for grinding but still challenging. Haha, indeed about Abra. Too bad I didn't catch one so I had no accuse to share the lore behind some of this family's rules. But who knows, might get myself one of these tricky satanic fox-goats later.

@mewstein - Ha! Indeed. Well this innocent looking plant is no doubt supposed to be a ferocious predator. Thank you so much, Rosh Hashana is over and so is Yom Kipur, and I'm enjoying what's left of Sukkot.

@Spectacles - Thank you. That's a great idea for a side story, the pokemon no one really thinks about yet are the majority of our captured mons if you think about it. I never seen the Bellsprout family as particularly interesting pokemon, but thanks to this story of Rakugo and Veo they are really starting to grow on me (pun not intended :P). Hmm I think you have a good point there about the Bloodthirst rule. I still want to make it challenging so I'll change the rule like you suggested but will also change it to be so that it won't be just free to revitalized them at a pokecenter and will require money instead, that way it won't be too annoying for grinding but will still make you think twice if you choose to ignore it. To make things harder for me and to not "cheat" while playing I'll play with the hardest possible version of the rule for this particular run. Indeed about Paris. Like in the main story itself I want to make every character my own version of the original one with much more lore and in depth RPG feeling, but on the other hand keep some of the original vibe it had (and Gary/Blue is sure a dominant character you don't want to miss). Sort of what I wished the world of these games were.

@Arie Kazami - Thank you so much buddy! I got to know the Garuda from my travels in Cambodia and Thailand (even bought myself a small Garuda statue that is sitting next to me as I write), but as I was researching the mythology behind this creature for my lorelocke rules I learned of the major role it also plays in Indonesian culture and of the different versions of this creature in different lands (from example the Japanese Karura that was the inspiration for Magmar). This whole area of south-east Asia including Indonesia has such fascinating mythological stories I never knew of before making these rules, many of which I used in my other lorerules as you might see in the future, and also many of which influenced the creation of some of the classical pokemon we all know and love by game-freak. Indeed the witchcraft influences of the fox/goat/demon Abra line are not spoken of a lot by pokemon fans, but are definitely there :).

@Useron - Welcome to this run, great to have you here and I do hope you'll continue to enjoy it (I love your Avatar btw, Bastion is one my favorite games). Thank you very much for your kind words! I do my best to balance the story and the showing off of the ruleset. Yep, Royal Ancestry is one tricky rule, and really makes me think twice before I'll evolve my little spikey friend here. I do hope I could solve this lorerule using some other lore effect such as the Nectar of Carn possibly, or perhaps get myself some more royals into the team in time.

Chapter 6 – Clearing the Mist

"As I crossed the golden bridge, after more than a season since I have last crossed it, I immediately noticed a change in the city. It was dusk again when I had arrived much like the first time I entered the city, still I couldn't see a single soul outside except for four armed guards who were immediately heading my way. I considered taking out one of my monsters just in case after what happened to me with the Team Rapier grunts, but decided I better come with good intentions and show them I mean no harm. As I approached, the guards kept a safe distance and started to investigate me. I explained to them I was just coming from Fonshaim, yet that didn't seem to calm them down too much. 'Who is your allegiance to, stranger?' they asked. Well that was a question I never had to think about before so I paused for a moment before answering: 'I come in the name of Master Brock of Pewter city, yet my loyalty is to the ways of the Glorious Eight and most of all to the people of Kanto'. The guards began laughing and said 'well that's a good answer! But how can we know we can trust you? We just got reports about of those damn Rapier disciples recruiting any tamer with an able monster, offering them all the riches of Saffron and more'. 'I have no respect for the Rapier dojo', I answered, 'and I have in fact battled them more than once so far'. The guards hesitated for a few moments, but then one of them declared 'Wait a minute, I think I recognize this young tamer. He is the cousin of Fearless Paris, he joined my patrol a few months ago. He is one of ours'. It seems my limited glory has finally helped me as the other guards looked convince and decided to let me into the walls.

I spent a few hours talking to them while they were on duty and cooked a humble meal for them from what I had left in my supplies. They told me that indeed much has changed in Cerulean city since I left. It all started about two months ago when the Rapier dojo disciples claimed they intend to open their very own dojo in Cerulean city. I was shocked to learn that unlike the classical dojo tradition of one dojo per master per city, Rapier dojo have already opened a dojo in Saffron City, Lavender City, and are opening a dojo in Celadon city as we speak and seek to expand even further, weakening the influence of the classical eight glorious dojos of Kanto. So as they claimed their intentions before Master Misty she immediately declined and said that she was willing to accept their presence in her beloved city due to the royal decree by the king of Saffron who has been for centuries an ally of her people, but she will not accept another dojo no matter what. Things started to heat up, and in the middle of the argument Misty called her army and ordered all the Rapier grunts to leave for good and never return. As they refused, a clash commenced. The people of Cerulean were surprise to see how many Rapier disciples were already living among them. The battle took almost two weeks, in which many monsters and men had been killed and many building had been destroyed by the elemental powers and brute force of the monsters of both sides. But in the end, all of the Rapier disciples were either killed or fled the city, yet along them many of the locals have perished as well. It was clear to the guards that this will not be the last they'll hear from the Rapier dojo nor the kingdom of Saffron, but for now all they could do is stay alert and do their best to refill their ranks and rebuild their fortifications. They even asked me if I wanted to join the city guard, or perhaps nominate myself as a Cascade dojo tamer. This has been my dream since childhood, to become a tamer under one of the great dojos of the land, and Master Misty was a living legend. Yet, I surprise myself a bit, and immediately refused. I explained to them I was on a mission and had to travel between the different cities and gather others to our cause, but I promised them I'll do my best to assist them in their battle as much as I could.

I spent the night with the guards who were quite fascinated with the stories of my adventures so far, and the very next morning I headed to the cascade dojo."

"As I arrived it was explained to me that usually in order to gain audience with Master Misty I had to wait for at least a month in which I trained with her disciples, much like I did when I came to meet Master Brock, but because they have heard of me and these are dire times, they promised me I could meet her in a weak or so. In the meantime I joined their patrols and learned about their specialty with water elemental monsters. The people of Cerulean city have been attached to the Cerulean river since ancient times, and so have the tamers who lived here. I have learned that many of the most famous hydromancer monsters were first tamed in this land back in the Age of Heroes, and the legend says that the famous original Dragon Gate in which the first Magikarp monster changed form into a mighty sea dragon used to be where the river now meets the city, yet overtime the river changed its flow and the waterfall was no longer there.

In one of my patrols I was walking with a fellow Cerulean tamer when all of a sudden we heard a noise from one of the houses."

"As we entered we noticed the house was a mess. It seemed a few Rapier disciples have been hiding here since the battles and holding the locals hostages, hoping to stay there as dormant spies for the next attack of their malicious dojo. We killed one of them on the spot as he tried to hurt the locals when he noticed us, and the other two tried to escape through a back door. One of them sadly managed to get out and ride his flying monster to safety, probably warning his clanfolk. But the last one was cornered and tried to fight us."

"And he sure gave us a hard time, but at last we managed to defeat his army of monsters. The Cerulean tamer took the prisoner into his dojo and that was the last I saw of him. To this day I'm not sure what happened to him."

"In the short time I spent with the disciples of the Cerulean dojo I continued focusing on the taming and training of my dear Veo. The tamers of this dojo taught me how to use her roots and vines who are adapted to drinking the blood of her victim in order to drain water extremely fast and by so to weaken any waterborne opponent. In this time Veo started to change form and grow, into to what I thought at that time was her kind's adult form. Many monsters are known to change over time, as the elders say ancient creatures and artifacts tend to get magical properties as they become older and develop their own spirit. But I have never seen a faster transformation of a non-insect monster than the one Veo went through. She shed her outer roots and instead had one single extremely thick root sticking from her back, grew a mighty maw with extractable razor sharp teeth and all her sucking tentacles were hidden inside it, and on her sides two sharp leaf like appendages stood out, ready to cut in half any opponent. I was so proud of her, and honestly of myself as it showed me I was helping her fulfil her true potential, in the tradition of the tamers of old. The monsters are truly miraculous creatures."

Well that was actually a happy coincidence and a pleasant surprise. I grinded just one more level for all of my mons before Misty's gym, and as I was fighting her trainers Yatveo evolved. I honestly didn't remember in which level Bellsprout evolved and thought it was 24, and I'm allowed to check that nor the level of her ace, so I just went as is. Well, this will surely make my life easier against her deadly Starmie (which, fun fact, ended many of my very first Nuzlockes when I knew very little of how the game mechanics work).

"And so as the days passed and I was finally given audience with Master Misty herself and as tradition dictates I first asked for a monster battle in order to try and gain her badge and respect. She insisted on making our battle public, claiming it will be good for public morale after all that Cerulean city has been through. It was one of the last days of summer. You could start feeling the cold breezes of the autumn building up, still the weather was nice and warm and the sky was clear and with only a few white clouds hovering silently above us. We stood each on the different sides of the silver bridge, the most southern bridge of the city. Around us a great crowd of people gathered, along with all the disciples of the dojo who weren't stuck on guard duty at that day. It was the first time I saw Misty. She was in her late thirties yet looked as vital as a young lass. Her dark black hair was set in the ancient traditional Kantonian style, she was wearing a light blue kimono, and looked just like what I imagined her to be, a legend. To my surprise and embarrassment she introduced me to the crowd as the cousin of Fearless Paris, a great hero myself, and a true friend of this city. Her style, her speech, it was all so different than what I experienced in the mountainside dojo. She was brazen, bold and straight to the point, the exact opposite of dear Master Brock. And she was about to teach me very different things than he did."

Mewstein's great art, as always

"And so we stood one in front of the other. The rules were declared: each trainer is only allowed to use two of his monsters, and we can use both the land and the sea. The battle has begun."

First of all in case you are wondering this was my team before the battle. I decided to open with Carn so I'll get the three turns in battle that will finally enable him to produce his very first Nectar thanks to its lore rule. I'll also try to soften her Staryu a bit that way before I'll switch to my main gal, Yatveo.

I'll use my usual strategy of poisoning the target and then building up my defenses.

"Misty first sent out her starfish monster. The creature had a mystical aura radiating from it and looked like no other monster I have ever soon. Something between a living creature and an almost magical being, with its red bright gem shining in the middle of its torso. The creature spent most of its time in the water with one of its legs peeping out, only to hop out of the water to try and strike Carn swiftly and return. Carn however was well trained in a battle of speed and dexterity, and managed to not only avoid these hits but get its sting straight in the gem of the creature and poison it. It then flew as high as it could and started building its metal hard exoskeleton defenses, the same trick we used against Master Brock that won us the boulder badge".

"But this battle was not going to be that easy it seems. Master Misty was known for her own combat tricks and as an experienced warrior she was not going to simply fall into the old 'sting and hide' technique. She ordered her star monster to stay completely still and shed its own outer skin and that way not only heal most of the damage done to it by the poison by replacing its wounded tissues, but also replacing them with a hard and thick battle armor skin. Carn had much to learn from this creature. She then ordered it to hydromance the water around it and shoot deadly pulses of water at Carn while it was midair. Some of these jets hit him quite hard, and made his flying much trickier being all wet and wounded. Things were not looking too good, and the local crowd cheered wildly at their heroine crushing the stranger. Unlike before time was now working against me, I had no option but to order Carn to attack straight on with his twin blades and try and get that star out of balance and pierce through its defenses"

(Arg. Forgot about Recover, it seems both sides can use Harden, and of course it uses a special attack against me, what was I thinking? Bad start, not very wise of me. Hmm change of strategy, I'll Focus Energy, and then try some raw power to maybe get its health low enough before I...)

"But this also failed, quite miserably if I may add. Carn couldn't get a hold on the star monster that was much faster when traveling through the water, making Carn miss and shatter itself against the water time and time again. The battle was getting long, and once in a while Carn managed to penetrate the defenses of the star and almost make it faint, but at the last moment it would heal itself right back and grow even stronger. Carn was getting tired, and I realized letting him stay even longer will be too much of a risk. Monster battles are dangerous rituals, and carless tamers lose their beloved friends even in supposedly friendly battles such as this. I returned Carn to its taming orb, and sent my second pokemon for this battle. My loyal new companion Yatveo."

(I got confused and kept hitting myself. That went very badly. Well at least Carn was out long enough for the Nectar to be produced assuming we make it, and got me that poison, that might help. It was so closed I was tempted and even foolishly spent one of my potions on Carn hoping it will buy me enough time to get that Staryu down but everything failed and I didn't want to risk it too much nor spend more much needed potion that I'll have to use against the real threat, Starmie. I remind you I'm only allowed three items per battle. Well, it all comes down to you Yatveo!)

"Yatveo was out to destroy, and immediately implemented what the disciples of the Cerulean dojo had taught us. Her mighty root and suckling tentacles spread as long as she could and chased the star monster through the water while she stayed on dry land, draining all the water around the star until it finally got hold of it."

"The star monster tried to shed its skin once more and protect itself from the tentacles, but Yatveo's hold was so strong it just sucked some the shed skin along with the new one, draining Master Misty's star completely out of its energy. In the last moment before it was too late Misty called it back into its taming orb, and the crowd went completely silent. She waited for a few moments and then sent her truly terrifying beast, the one which she is most known for and appears on the coat of arms of her city. A celestial blue double star monster, with its magical mesmerizing blood red ruby decorating its magnificent body. The monster known by most as Stellaura."

(That went well! Luckily Vine Whip is special in this Gen, otherwise all these Hardens would have caused me a lot of trouble. Here comes the Ace).

"It was the same game all over again, but this time this creature was much sturdier. Yatveo immediately tried to gain grab of it, but the star did its best to keep a distance by diving fast and deep or jumping out of the water while shooting water pulses at Veo. You could hear the water reaping through the air with the sheer force of elemental mastery, and the crowd was awed and amazed by their powerful champion and her mighty monster."

"But as powerful as these were Veo's training against the hydromancer monsters paid off and it managed to take the water attacks without too much damage, and drain some of them into its root. It was time for my main plan to take effect. I ordered Veo to jump into the water and try and get as close as it could to Stellaura. It was a risky move, but I had no other choice."

(Damn!)

Stellaura, believing Veo has finally become an easy target, allowed itself to get closer to get better aim, and indeed wounded Veo quite a bit who was like a fish out of water, or perhaps the other way around. Either way Veo used this to charge at Stellaura who was surprised by how fast my plant monster could propel itself through the water using its tentacles, and gain a good tight grab onto Stellaura, making sure it couldn't escape anymore. It then released a deadly paralyzing powder into its blood that after a few moments finally caused the poor star to lose control over its movement and spin without control. The battle was getting tense, both monsters caught in a deadlock, barely able to hit each other, popping from outside the water surface only to disappear once more."

(It cost me my second potion but I got that paralyze and wrap! Now it's time for some vine whipping).

(Last potion, oh spirits save me!)

(Arg, no! Come on!)

"The two kept swinging at each other. Veo mainly whipping with her vine at the back of the star, while it kept regenerating itself and healing the wounds again and again while releasing pulses that made Veo shake in pain. It was tight, and while the star did seem to get tired from this process, Veo was grasping for air and her wrap around the star was getting weaker and weaker."

"I wasn't sure at all she could hold on much longer or have the strength in her to keep fighting. She kept vine whipping again and again, every time hitting just a bit weaker,"

(This looks bad! I'm out of allowed potions for this battle, switching out won't help me as that Starmie just keeps recovering itself, and I'm running out of PP. Come on Veo give me one good strike, please!)

"I was screaming at Veo to hold on, getting ready to withdraw her at any moment and end this battle, but still I had faith in her. I had her taming orb in my hand and just as I was about to declare this battle a loss Veo gave one mighty blow to Stellaura that made it scream in pain and immediately faint as its bright gem lost its glow. Veo released the star and surfaced up, while Stellaura just kept sinking down. And so without any choice Master Misty took it back into its taming orb, and I was declared victorious!"

(Yes!!!)

Second badge, so far no deaths! And... Got my first Nectar! No matter what happens to Carn from now on I can save the Nectar itself. Notice I can use it to cancel a death by a lore rule as it happens, not revive a pokemon who died from a lore rule. Again this only works on deaths cause by lore rules, this ruleset doesn't break any of the classical Nuzlocke rules, just adds to them. I can also save it and use two Nectars to cancel a lore rule, which is very temping as well.

"The crowd again went dead silent as one of the disciples declared me a winner. And then after a few very tense second, Misty bowed in front of me and the whole crowd cheered and shouted my name! 'Rakugo! Rakugo! Rakugo!'. Misty again said many kind words about me and the importance of allies in this dark time and finally finished with the words 'Rakugo will free Kanto from the plague called the Rapier dojo, and the people of Cerulean shall be on his side when this happens!'. I was in shock; making such a public declaration was hardly my intentions. How did I get myself into this situation with the hopes of two of the Glorious Eight resting on my own two shoulders? But as I looked with utter confusion at Master Misty she simply winked at me, leaning towards me and whispered 'come see me after the battle, I am sure you have much to ask'."

"And so I went to see Misty at her dojo. On my way there I was showered with gifts and kind words by the good people of Cerulean city. In retrospect I believe Master Misty was quite wise to insist on making our battle public.

Though interestingly behind closed doors Master Misty was a very different person. We set quietly near her pond where her monsters and my own swam freely with the fish and played with each other. Tea was served to us by one of her disciples, and unlike before she talked quietly and softly, choosing her every word. 'Rakugo, I know why you are here, my people have been telling me about you and you made yourself quite a name in this city already, and even beyond it. Unlike your cousin, which I can't deny is an impressive tamer, you have done so humbly, which is something I can very much appreciate.' Again, the difference in her character and demeanor surprised so much I didn't know what to say; even though there was so much I wanted to ask.

'You see Rakugo you come from the other side of Mount Moon, from the provinces now solely and barely held together by the great Master Brock. He is a true friend of mine, yet I haven't seen him in years. Still we communicate by letters when our human and monster messengers actually manage to get them to their destination. Even though things seem hard in your homeland with the disappearance of the Viridian Dojo and the wild monsters roaming the land, things are no less difficult here, and far more dangerous. This means we must not only stay strong Rakugo, we must also be wise. The way the people of this city view me is crucial for their belief in themselves and in their ability to stand against the forces that want to destroy us. As long as they see me as an uncontrollable storm, a force of nature no one can stand in front, they will fight like sailors on a drowning ship with nothing to lose, and I will lead them to battle as the first warrior in the line, crushing on our opponents like a unified wave. But truly though, in my nature, I'm nothing like that. I'm still and calm waters that run deep'. She looked straight into my eyes and smiled. 'I have a plan Rakugo, and you are a key part of it'.

'But first' she added, 'you must have a lot of questions. You are new to this part of Kanto, the heartlands of Kanto as some might say. I'm sure by now you understand the situation we are in, but do you know who are the forces that take part in the destruction of our ways? Do you know how it all started? What did dear old Bill explain to you tamer?'. 'Bill couldn't tell me much' I said sadly. 'He seems to be struggling with his own internal demons. He gave me a few books that are supposed to help me understand our realm and traditions better, and... he told me he knew my father, Kisho.' Misty's eyes widened as she said 'You are the son of the hero Kisho? Rakugo you are full of surprises. Yes, I doubt there are some these days who don't know who your father was, but surely Bill is not one of them. He, your father and Tenketsu were the marvelous Mary Three. But I'm straying off topic, these were very different times when the weakness of me and my comrades of the glorious eight wasn't as great and the acts of traveling heroes still helped maintain the balance of our realm and fill in the gaps we foolishly left. Like you must have understood by now the glorious eight are in a very bad condition. Few of us are still completely free to teach the true ways of the tamer and maintain the balance with the wild monsters, some of us have gone completely missing, while others... let's just say we don't all see eye to eye anymore these days. I have many to blame for this, but in full honesty, we are ourselves are mainly to blame. We have lost our strength, our morale mandate, our unified agenda for the peace of Kanto, and all of us focused on our own problems and goals, and so this has happened. My grandfather was the Master of this Dojo before me, and in his days all the Glorious Eight will meet once every two years to discuss the needs of Kanto and meditate together. In my age this tradition was already lost...'

'And in this vacuum new forces rose. The kingdom of Saffron, the strongest of all the kingdoms and city states of our land, has built itself a mighty army and slowly through strength, threats, and lies increased its influenced into all the borders of our land. Later, came the Rapier dojo. They have only been active for a few years, and it appears as if they came from nowhere fully armed and ready to claim this land as their own, and it hard to tell these days if they do as the king commands them or the other way around. Either way a dark and twisted alliance has been made between these forces and they will do whatever they can to create a new reign of terror over Kanto. Rakugo from what I understand from you, you have come here to restore order to our land. But first in order to do that we must shatter these evil institutions. Only then we could try and restore the balance of power and traditions of the past and make sure this glorious age remains glorious and that our successors won't repeat our mistakes.'

'But I can't do all this myself Rakugo, I have a city to guard, and here is where I need you. If Cerulean stands alone against the Rapier dojo, eventually we will fall. We need to attack these rogues from all sides, west, east, north and south. The last truly free city that borders the kingdom of Saffron besides us is Vermilion. You must go and meet Master Surge there and convince him to join our goal. I tried my best to create a line of communication with him, but the enemy keeps disrupting it. Give him this letter Rakugo and explain the situation to him. I'm sure if these words will come from a Pallet born hero such as yourself who has earned two badges of both the Mountainside and Waterfall dojos he will be convinced to join our cause. From there... well, you will have to do your best to infiltrate into the lands of Celadon and Lavender. As a stranger you won't be as suspected by the authorities. It will take some time for your name to reach into Saffron lands, still for those who will hear of it and seek to join our side it will mean a lot. In these times people need a hero, and at that moment we will provide one for them'

'I have so much more that I want to tell you, so much more I want to explain. But we don't have this time Rakugo. All that you need to know besides what I told you so far is that I tried to make your cousin Paris join our ranks as well, and whether he agreed or not I'm still not sure. Either way, all of my hopes stand on you Rakugo. You have earned the badge of my dojo, but more importantly you have earned my trust. Beyond Mount Moon you were the messenger of Brock, but on this side of Kanto you shall be my dojo's champion.'

'I set in silence for a few moments, pondering about all that Master Misty said and asked of me, drinking my tea and getting lost in my thoughts. Watching my own monsters play at the pond, I realized how much has changed since I first left pallet with only Cinder by my side. Finally I said: 'I agree Master Misty. The glorious eight have been a symbol for me for all my life for the true way. You are supposed to be devoted to the wellbeing of Kanto, for the order, for the benefit of its people. You do so without governing, and only by guarding, teaching, and helping us find the balance between monsters and men. If the glorious eight are no longer able to fulfil this role, I'll do what I can to restore the peace and again allow them to do so. But there are two things I must know before. First, where are your masters the elite four and why won't they help us in these dark times? Second, if as Master Brock told me you are all not the original glorious eight, but only their successors, who were the glorious eight?'

Misty smiled. 'Indeed, these two subjects are no very known to most people. About the elite four', she sighed, 'I really wish I could tell you. Fact is no one has seen them in many-many years, and we the Master of the glorious eight gyms of Kanto have been running this land for centuries without their help. Most people of importance know that, but we don't speak about that much with the commoners fearing they will think we have lost our divine mandate. Perhaps there are other dojo masters who will know more than me about this, but that is all I can tell you'.

'And of course we are not the original glorious eight as they lived 500 years ago in the dawn of the glorious age. As you said Bill gave you many books, but how about I give you just one more? Asking this question in Cerulean city is the perfect place in fact, and therefore I have the perfect book that will answer this question, wait here'. And so after a few minutes Misty has returned with a surprisingly small book, covered in leather and decorated with little shells and precious gems, which had the odd title of 'The Four, The Eight, The Demon and The Prince'. 'This story, this very real story, took place very close to where we now sit. In fact, this story is still taking place as we speak. Read it and hopefully you'll understand it all'.

I stayed for one more day in Master Misty's dojo where she gave me all the equipment and supplies I needed, and gave my monsters some much needed rest. My time in her dojo had somehow rejuvenated my soul, and honestly just being around her gave me so much strength."

"And so the day after, I left her dojo and Cerulean city and headed south. As I departed Master Misty and a few of her most loyal disciples walked with me to the silver bridge. We said our goodbyes, and Misty hugged me strongly and whispered in my ear 'you were destined for this, hero' and smiled. I felt shivers going throughout my body and wondered, did she really mean it? Can I, a tamer from a fishing village at the end of Kanto, become the hero she wanted me to be?"

And that's the end of this update! Our hero finally gets his main great quest (yet not his final one). Sorry that this update focused so much only on the story and game-wise just showed my rather tense battle with Misty. Next update will include much more gameplay and catches I promise, as we head to route 5 and beyond! (and hopefully showoff some more interesting lorerules on the way).

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Also a major Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
The Four, The Eight, The Demon, and The Prince... what an interesting title. What secrets lie within its pages?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)