• Ash has been all over the news lately and this site is no exception! Check out Ashes to Ashes, the latest featured run!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes recieving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our new Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • Happy tapaversary, Guest! It's been about a year since the Tapatalk Takeover; if you'd like to make a donation to us to celebrate the fact that we tapped out of that site, please click here.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about the new Critique Level Tags!
  • The second episode of Nuzlocke City Radio is here! Tune in for our discussion on the history and analysis of gijinkas, catch up on the biggest forum news, and we finally settle the score between Team Aqua and Team Magma in The Debatelockers!

Comic Hoenn Jam does a Nuzlocke

Thread Description
an old comic about a nervous trainer

Bug

My mind is racing but my feet just move too slow
Tech Team
🌱Featurer
🎇Contributor
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
oh fuck oh shit my dots...............................................................................................................................
Jam does a Nuzlocke
an old emerald comic

Way back in 2012, I joined the forums and started sharing my first comic. This comic started me on a long road that impacted very much where I am today. I am very excited to have the opportunity to share this with you all with fresh new eyes. I mean, this is about 5 years old now, come on. Jam does a Nuzlocke is cancelled, and pending a reboot in 2020, if all goes to plan. Until then, I'll repost this week by week. I hope you enjoy, and happy Nuzlocking!

BritishAirSnails

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pokémon Type
Grass, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Beware the BritishAirSnail. They come from the sky and leave their slime EVERYWHERE
Heeeeeeeey, I didn't read Jam Does a Nuzlocke, but heard a lot about it. I'm glad I'll be able to go along for the ride from the beginning before this mentioned reboot owo

Emilianite

Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 22, 2019
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Ice
This really takes me back because it was probably one of the first comics i read on the old forums (and btw, its still very adorable) Best of luck with the reboot!

• Love
Reactions: Bug

Kadew

*bird sounds*
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
♀
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Doesn't actually like birds all that much.
Oh dang, this takes me back! I read through this waaaaay back when I just first got into nuzlockes and starting my own was still a gleam in my young, sophomore eye. I remember practically none of it though, so it'll be awesome to keep up with this reposting. It'll be like reading it brand new all over again, and at the end I'll have an even greater anticipation for your much-awaited reboot.

Minty Electronica

heeeeeeeyyyyyy, adora~ <3
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Water, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It's an azumarill. You caught an azumarril.
Also on the "didn't read but heard about it and would like to read now" train with BAS, but yes! Already, I'm intrigued. The art style is very cute, but more importantly ... all that pleading to go on an adventure? The promise that it'll be the three of them? Oh, that sounds like it'll end well and not at all in tears and broken friendships and/or death. :') Good luck, protag.

Bug

Tech Team
🌱Featurer
🎇Contributor
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
oh fuck oh shit my dots...............................................................................................................................
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Page #002 2744

Heeeeeeeey, I didn't read Jam Does a Nuzlocke, but heard a lot about it. I'm glad I'll be able to go along for the ride from the beginning before this mentioned reboot owo​

It's a short ride, for sure! I ended up at 41 pages by the end of it, stopping right at what I would call the first real meaty story arc. I don't know where you've heard about this old thing, but I'm flattered. I keep hearing this is one of the first comics some users read and it still stuns me.​

This really takes me back because it was probably one of the first comics i read on the old forums (and btw, its still very adorable) Best of luck with the reboot!​

Speaking of people who say it was one of the first comics they read here. Thank you Em! You wouldn't believe how different the reboot is. I kept some characters over, but now they fit more into the world than before, if that makes sense.​

Oh dang, this takes me back! I read through this waaaaay back when I just first got into nuzlockes and starting my own was still a gleam in my young, sophomore eye. I remember practically none of it though, so it'll be awesome to keep up with this reposting. It'll be like reading it brand new all over again, and at the end I'll have an even greater anticipation for your much-awaited reboot.​

Well, I'd reach to say there was a reason you didn't remember it. It doesn't have a real hook, it barely scraped a plot, and the paneling and bubbling are rough as hell. My comic existed purely on cuteness and good vibes alone. I loved what I was doing, though, and my friends read my comic, and it was what mattered most to me.​

Also on the "didn't read but heard about it and would like to read now" train with BAS, but yes! Already, I'm intrigued. The art style is very cute, but more importantly ... all that pleading to go on an adventure? The promise that it'll be the three of them? Oh, that sounds like it'll end well and not at all in tears and broken friendships and/or death. :') Good luck, protag.

I wouldn't expect too much from this run, aside from a little peek into how far I've come. I do lightly touch on some family drama soon, tho, LOL. ​

A/N: So, I believe, around this time, I had barely even played the game. I had barely any idea what I wanted to do with my story except write some sort of pokemon wish fulfillment comic. I actually DROPPED my comic at this page for a little while. Literally two pages in! Anyways, meet Jam's mom. She has gotten a glo up in the reboot, and actually looks both her age and like her appearance says something about her. I just... designed her mom in the first comic when I drew the page. Same for most characters I show. Whoops.

Bug

Tech Team
🌱Featurer
🎇Contributor
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
Page #003

A/N: Past me was like 'uhhhhhh I can't do backgrounds let's just scribble it in'. I strive to that level of corner cutting now, but I've become to much of a ho for establishing shots.

Velink

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 27, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
2020, huh?
looking forward to it, Bug!
Are you sure you won't end up doing other version nuzlocke instead?

Bug

Tech Team
🌱Featurer
🎇Contributor
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
Page #004

@Velink I've actually finished the run for Stardust Road! I ended up doing a brand new file of Emerald when I noticed I had lost ALL of my data from Jam does a Nuzlocke. It's really what I needed to make a fresh start, I think. The new comic is way different.

A/N: One whole style shift, coming up! I didn't quite understand the value of a consistent style before. I've actually come to appreciate seeing the leaps and bounds other artists take during their comics over the year, but back when I did this comic it was part of what kept me back. I was so stressed that I wasn't good enough that I didn't, just... draw.

BritishAirSnails

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pokémon Type
Grass, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Beware the BritishAirSnail. They come from the sky and leave their slime EVERYWHERE
Yeesh marrying a guy and never having your kid meet them beforehand? Way to go, Mom >.> Parenting award right here. Poor Jam.

Bug

Tech Team
🌱Featurer
🎇Contributor
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
Page #005

@BritishAirSnails LMAO YEAH. I wroe it like hat, because it was how it seemed to me when my mom re-married. I was always like UH, WHO IS THIS DUDE? But really, most people don't just.... do that...

A/N: I saw this page, and it felt like one of those pictures that gets worse every time you look at it. I stared to redraw/rework it immediately, it's not... not a good page. It is cool to be able to look back at it and know WHY it's not so good, though.

Bug

Tech Team
🌱Featurer
🎇Contributor
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
Page #006-009

A/N: It's been a couple of weeks since I've posted, so this is some catch up... And possibly some of the best AND worst paneling I've ever done. We all start somewhere, hahaha. I like to revisit the old pages of Jam and Brinley sometimes when I'm working on Stardust Road, honestly. Even today, I still think the way I had them banter was cute and funny. They've developed a LOT as characters since then, but their bare roots I had here are still charming.

Kadew

*bird sounds*
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
♀
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
The staring daggers piercing into the speech balloon on page 8 is actually really cute. It's neat to see with this old stuff what worked and what didn't because there is some stuff here that does still hold up, like those cores of the character dynamic banter that still hangs around as old roots in your current plans as you said.

Bug

Tech Team
🌱Featurer
🎇Contributor
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
Page #010

@Kadew I still love the daggers bit, even if most of the page execution doesn't hold up, yeah. I like to think maybe I'll be able to re-use it in some sort of scenario, but I haven't quite found a spot that fits it in my script, yet.

A/N: I read something somewhere along the lines of "don't expect people to keep reading just because they started", and I feel like this bit of... "tension" is a good example of that. Like, why is this so dramatic? Why should I care? Well, uh... you probably don't, but hey the kid has pink hair!

Kadew

*bird sounds*
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
♀
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Pink hair! Also not sure if I said already, but I like how in this comic Jam's hat is super emotive, like a pair of big ears perking up and lying flat according to her moods. Will that feature be returning in the reboot?

Bug

Tech Team
🌱Featurer
🎇Contributor
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
Page #011

@Kadew I had to really deliberate over that, actually. And, in the end, I decided the hat won't be coming back. I feel like I can't pull off that cartoonishness while keeping the tone I want in the reboot.

A/N: Why did I handwrite my text WHY DID I DO THAT... My style starts to morph around this point again.

Kadew

*bird sounds*
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
♀
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
That's a shame the hat has been cancelled, I will always remember it in my heart. That zigzagoon still looks good even now, your stuff always had a lot of character even if it wasn't so polished as your current works.

Bug

Tech Team
🌱Featurer
🎇Contributor
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
Page #012&013

@Kadew "That's a shame the hat has been cancelled, I will always remember it in my heart. That zigzagoon still looks good even now, your stuff always had a lot of character even if it wasn't so polished as your current works."
I've prided myself on expression ever since I learned how to make my characters emote in readable ways. I almost feel like I've started to simplify my pokemon designs back to being similar to stuff like this zigzagoon again, lmao...

A/N: 2!!! I figured why not. I really tried to skip over these fights as quick as possible, because I thought I had to include them fsr???? I was baby.

Kadew

*bird sounds*
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
♀
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Gosh dang I love your torchic design here. That one giant feather, it's almost a pompadour. And that little animation is just darling. Do you think you'll be putting little touches like that into your reboot, or are you gonna keep it simple?

Bug

Tech Team
🌱Featurer
🎇Contributor
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
Page #014

@Kadew The animations aren't going to see a comeback, mostly because I want this to be ready for print. If I made an animation I'd have to make a print version, and then the animation itself takes extra time, so on so forth. I'll def be ready to do more fun spreads, tho.

A/N: I did at least try to vary up my shots way back when. It's just small little things I can look back with my old stuff and say "Well, this was okay. I was just learning."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)