• Episode Four of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode will be the last one featuring chapters from Call of the Divines and Solstice! Tune in to hear what the story's creators have to say about these audio adaptations of their runs.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Comic Kanto Mature Mon It's a Hard Life

Thread Description
Robin is ten years old and travels through Kanto with her pokemon to find a place to call home. This is a story about struggle, survival and friendship in a cruel world. Last Updated: 02/03 - Part 111

Qlockwork

Conqueror of the Pewter Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 21, 2019
Pokémon Type
Bug, ???
Robin is ten years old and travels through Kanto with her pokemon to find a place to call home. This is a story about struggle, survival and friendship in a cruel world.

Rated Mature for swearing and graphic blood and gore.

The Rules
1. Catch only the first pokemon per route (no dupe-clause)
2. A Pokemon that faints is dead and must be released
3. Nicknames!

Hey! This is It's a Hard Life, a comic I started drawing back in 2011 to document (and dramatise) the first nuzlocke run I ever made! But since I'm still working on it I decided to move it here to the new forums. Updates are quite irregular, but I am determined to see it through to the end. Speaking of ending, a head's up for any new readers: I plan to wrap the story up after the current chapter. It's been many years and I want to move on to other projects so sadly this comic won't go all the way to the E4.

The comic can also be read at smackjeeves!

Latest Update: 15/05 - 2020
Part 112

Contents

Last edited:

Picket Furret

Antisocial Lurker
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Normal
Ohey, glad to see you made it to the new Forums, I loved seeing your comic there

Qlockwork

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 21, 2019
Pokémon Type
Bug, ???
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Update time! 8D

Looked at my notes for this part and realised I hadn't documented it properly, but that's fine. I remember it clearly enough. Basically I sent out Puck to face the Alakazam since he had much higher Special Defense than Zager. He also knew Bite (all those punches he throws here would be Bite attacks, but that wouldn't have looked as good) and at first it seemed like it would be a relatively short battle. Except. Dark-type moves were considered Special Attacks in Gen3. And that Alakazam knows Calm Mind. And Recover. And oh god it would not be so simple after all .... Puck knew no physical attacks and I now have a much higher respect (and fear) of Future Sight ...

Rhema

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
She tries her best, but doesn't succeed. She gets what she wants but not what she needs.
Omg, just have to pop in and say it is so surreal to see you on the forums! It's a Hard Life is the very first Pokemon comic I've ever read......like, ever. I'm normally not even a comic reader because written fics are my preferred reading/writing medium, but your comic is so damn good and I've loved seeing the evolution of your artwork over the years! It's a Hard Life, along with Impulse by @Aurea , are the two runs that got me interesting in joining the nuzforums and starting a run of my own! Can't wait to catch up on this, and welcome!

Kadew

*bird sounds*
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Doesn't actually like birds all that much.
Oh dang it's here! Gosh I love It's a Hard Life so much, one of my big inspirations to get into nuzlockes and make my own comic. And even after all these years, it still delivers on the gut wrenching and gorgeous watercolors. I'm loving how terrifying you've portrayed psychic types, really shows off what insurmountable monsters they were at their inception. Gosh I sure do hope that Puck gets through this.

orangebeans

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Oh no, I had a feeling this fight with Sabrina wasn't going to go well...please hang in there, Puck!

Qlockwork

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 21, 2019
Pokémon Type
Bug, ???
Oh hey. An update! Thank you all for the patience and nice comments! I'm very touched that you continue to read this thing after all this time.

Allrighty, so, an update. FINALLY. I started drawing this in like November but the last couple of months have just had so much in store for me! Moved house, angsted a lot about job-searching, GOT a new job, and also I'm volunteering for a local Cats Protection Branch, and just got my first foster cat! 8D

But about the comic. Yeah. Puck survived Future Sight and I healed him up. I knew Puck couldn't take him down, and after one too many Calm Minds the Alakazam would be able to OHKO him the next turn. I figured Pluto had even better Special Defense and also, I didn't care if he died so I just threw him out there to see what happened (at least he could be a sacrifice). But then, this insane stroke of luck hit me. It went just as in the comic and that's all I can say. After this battle, I was actually very grateful for without him, it would probably have been an entire party wipe.

Kadew

*bird sounds*
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Snorlax is a beeaaaast. A very good choice for the psychic beats. And man that entry, that confluence of luck in your favor, the power, the impact, your art is stellar as always you master of watercolors. Dang. ANd also the emotion, Puck being a big dummy and thinking Robin would ever abandon him. I'll wait as long as it takes for every update of this excellent comic. Congrats on the new job and the foster cat!

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Clever
Pokédex Entry
A regular writer of fanfics and other works, this pokemon loves puns, bugs, and the outdoors.
DAMN

What a way for the battle to end! Incredible and unexpected

Picket Furret

Antisocial Lurker
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Normal
Welcome back, glad to hear you got everything sorted out, moving is always a difficult thing to adjust to

also, we expect cat pics later

Kinetic Kimo

Trainer MIA
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 21, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her. Old-school girl words.
Pokémon Type
Water, Psychic
I've been following your comic for ages, and every page has been well worth the wait. Don't feel like you need to rush, we're just here to adore your work.

Also, congrats on the foster kitty and your new job! :D

orangebeans

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
I always used Snorlax for Sabrina because she was so tough! I love how this battle played out (and I'm glad to see that Puck has lived to fight another day!)

Krisantyne

oh no
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 10, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she
Pokémon Type
Water
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon clings to Sharpedo and shares in its prosperity. When its Sharpedo is attacked, Krisantyne will fight alongside it!
Wow!! Pluto moving at super speed and the fatal impact looked SO good!
I can’t put into words how relieved I am that Puck survived. ;A; This was one of the most thrilling battles I have ever seen in any kind of media. Please let Robin and Puck be together forever now.......

io_

planning things is easier than writing them xdfbgn
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
preferably they/them please :) please don't be mad at me over it
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This friendly ghost lurks around sites of interest and tries to say hi. They may project a little too much onto their writing.
aaaaaaa that was so intense!! i love, that was such a good save by pluto at the end

Qlockwork

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 21, 2019
Pokémon Type
Bug, ???
Update time!

Just a short update this time. But the next one is probably going to be quite long, as it might be the final one! Wrapping up the story! I can't believe it's so close!

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Clever
Pokédex Entry
A regular writer of fanfics and other works, this pokemon loves puns, bugs, and the outdoors.
Poor Robin... I just want them to be safe and secure! I hope they manage to escape in time.

Velink

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 27, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
ooh one more page, the final one! looking forward to the conclusion of this story!
Maybe i should reread the whole comic once it is updated
god speed Qlockwork!

Kadew

*bird sounds*
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
So close to the end, I'm gonna cry. And that team shot in the last panel, please keep them all ok. Poor Robin my heart just goes out to her. I cannot wait for whatever you have planned with the cackling badman. Pls no mewtwo team wipe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)