• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Eight of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode bids adieu to another story and welcomes in a new one. Protagonists also star in our discussion segment!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Serious In Memory of Angryskitty

Thread Description
A place to come talk about our friend Angryskitty and say goodbye

MouseWithADinosaurTail

A Comedian At Heart
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
She's like a sea urchin. Tough and prickly on the outside, but delicate and easily wounded if hit the wrong way. Please handle gently.
As you have all been made aware in the last newsletter, a long-time member of our community, @angryskitty, passed away on January 9, 2020. I'll copy into this thread the obituary, written by her sister, @Yuriakashu, for anyone who may not have been aware of the circumstance.

Angryskitty (known as Katarinu on dA) passed away early January 9th in the ICU with both of her parents by her side and in no pain. She was thirty years old. Skitty started publishing Nuzlocke on Ice (NOICE) February 26th, 2016, just a few months after receiving a kidney from her father. After years of limited energy due to end-stage renal disease and constant sickness, she finally could do what she loved: draw. And, draw she did, participating two Inktobers, a PokeDecember, a Smaugust, an Hourly Comic Day, and Pride Month, not to mention all of her commissions, fanart, stickers, posters, memes—and over two hundred pages of her comic. Beyond all of her art, Skitty was always a bright spot in the nuzlocke community. She was cheery but also caring, making sure that people in chat were taking care of themselves and not lowering their standards for anything. She believed that those that worked hard deserved the best. She is survived by her parents, her sister Yuria Thames, her friends both from online and Minnesota, and everyone who loved her art. All she wanted was to live and create. Please do so in her stead.

Angryskitty was an incredibly bright light in our community. Her work was some of the most well-known and well-loved to ever grace this site, and she herself was an incredibly kind, caring, and friendly person who was always a delight to talk to and be around. The news of her passing has been devastating to all of us in the community. Thus, a few of us agreed it would be a good idea to create a place where we could come to talk about her and her passing. A lot of us have complicated thoughts and feelings about what's happened, and many of us are grieving, so why not come together to do so as a community? This is a space where you can get your thoughts off your chest, talk about Angryskitty, and celebrate her memory. Come here to talk if you need to. The door is open.

(I myself have more I'd like to share, but I'm afraid I'm still finding the words and I'll have to make another post later. For now, if anyone else would like to start, please feel free to do so.)

TerryTheTeryx

Gen Z Degenerate
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Flying, Steel
Pokédex Entry
A bizarre Pokémon who dislikes many social activities. She appears to have a penchant for peanut butter and foreign languages.
I uh, I don't know if I can really "start" since I have no idea what to say or how to put it, but I'll go ahead and do what I can.

I never knew much about angryskitty; Prior to her passing, I could only associate her name with "the person who makes NOICE" and "the girl who complimented my comic when I first joined here".
I never knew much about her beyond that, beyond her just being one of those really nice people. I don't think I ever held a conversation with her or anything, and I do wish I had gotten to know her more personally.

I feel like hearing about her passing kind of flipped a switch in me, if that makes sense. I hardly knew her, and I felt devastated and heartbroken and eventually wanted to cry over it. Since then I've gradually started seeing life a little bit differently, and how this is a permanent change. Probably sounds childish, but I think it's also because I've never experienced a death of someone I actually kind of knew. Not to mention that she was only 30. It's a literal tragedy.

The other day I drew a little something in memory, maybe just to throw my feelings into something. I can post it here in a little while.

Edit: I don't know what compelled me to draw it, but here.

Last edited:

Elfin Song

Conqueror of the Olivine Gym
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
she/her or he/him
I have to admit I didn't really talk to Angryskitty a lot directly, but I do know she's helped me in ways I probably should have told her about. See, I've been shadow-reading NOICE for ages. I loved her art style, I loved how gentle its characters were to one another, and I really wanted to see where the plot was going and so on. So when she started following my non-Nuzlocke blog on Tumblr, I was like, "Oh shiz, this person is admiring my work." And to be honest, a lot of the time, I've doubted myself with that blog because I'd take a hit to the follower count or it wouldn't feel as fulfilling as it did when it launched, but you know, seeing Angryskitty pop up on the most random things—the most self-indulgent things I'd write for that thing—was just. Amazingly encouraging. Kinda like she was saying, "No, no, you're good. Keep going."

I kinda wish that I gave back to her more, to be honest. I'd followed her Twitter and liked her art when I could, but I do regret not reaching out and talking to her outright. Because when I'd heard the news on Yuria's Twitter, I felt like it was unreal, you know? Like ... not to be dramatic about it, but I guess it's like looking up at the sky and realizing that the Big Dipper is gone. You never realized how bright and beautiful the sky is with it until suddenly, it's not there. I guess in a way, that's just a good moral for us Nuzlockers in general: don't be afraid to reach out and start a conversation when you can.

Anyway, thank you, Angryskitty, for all of your kindness. May you be at rest.

Garnet

Hater of the Monty Hall Problem
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
They/He
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A strange Pokémon that claims to be both an artist and writer, yet almost never has any work to show for either.
I've... wanted to say something about this for a while now. Before the news even hit the forums, honestly, though I didn't want to say anything about it on here before the news came out on the forums themselves. It felt like it wasn't my place, yknow?

I follow Petty on twitter, and on the ninth she posted that a friend of hers had passed away. The moment I saw it, especially when she said that she wouldn't be disclosing who it was unless their family said that it was okay, I had the worst gut feeling that it was another Nuzlocker.

I wish so badly that my gut had been wrong.

I never really spoke with Skitty, but she always seemed like a great person, even beyond her immense skill in artistic and writing endeavors. She just seemed... nice. Like she cared about those around her and wanted the best for everyone. I wish I'd spoken to her more, been more active in responding to her patreon posts, just... something.

It's weird. Since the news broke on twitter, I've wanted to say something. Even to just post something on Skitty's profile, some sort of last acknowledgement like, "hey, even though we never talked much, I was glad to see you around and I'll miss you." Even just a heart emoji or some small, dumb little thing like that. But now that it's actually out there on the forums, and has been out there for a while...

Fuck, man. What can you even say?

PurpleEyedGuma

21st Century Schizoid Mon
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 9, 2019
Pronouns
They / Them
I'm speechless. I'm more speechless than I have any right to be. I'm with Terry in that I didn't know Angryskitty at all outside of Nuzlocke on Ice. She was a normal Nuzlocke artist in my eyes.

When I read the Newsletter, however, I got the announcement of her death. Yuriakashu had previously announced it on social media, but I wasn't on those sites. It was the last news I expected, and I'm still in shock. I began to learn how good of an artist she was, and her sheer dedication to art, Pokemon, and her niche of followers. She seemed friendly, outgoing, and charismatic, and left an undeniable legacy on the Nuzlocke community.

But I won't sugarcoat this anymore. Angryskitty is dead. All of that enthusiasm and charisma is gone too soon, for no good reason. She was denied the entire rest of her life, and the Nuzlocke community won't be as upbeat as it once was. I give my condolences to @Yuriakashu and anyone else who knew her in person. You're more entitled to say these things than I am, and I hope I'm not coming off as distateful.

MouseWithADinosaurTail

A Comedian At Heart
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
She's like a sea urchin. Tough and prickly on the outside, but delicate and easily wounded if hit the wrong way. Please handle gently.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Before I properly joined the nuzlocke community, I knew of three runs: Alterity, Petty's Leaf Green, and one very special run: Nuzlocke On Ice. It was a run like no other. The art was beautiful, with so much detail and care taken into every stroke of the pen. The characters were wonderful, kindhearted and sweet and gentle. It was a comic where every panel and brushstroke was overflowing with gentleness and kindness, a comic that knew the importance of slowing down and stopping to smell the flowers. It was a comic whose artist inspired me, a person I very much wanted to know.

When I joined the nuzlocke community, I got that chance. I felt so lucky to have gotten the chance to get to know Angryskitty a little better! It didn't take me long to run up to her and tell her that I thought her work was some of the best the nuzlocke community had ever put out. It was an honor, honestly! Maybe in hindsight I feel a little silly making such a big deal out of it, but I don't know how else to put it. Her work spoke to me! The way she wrote, the way she drew. But even more than that, it was a pleasure to be around Angryskitty. I joined her patreon because I thought she was an artist more than worth supporting. It was such a treasure to see her posts flow in. I loved seeing what she was working on, I loved cheering her on as she got a better handle on digital art, and I was so happy to bring a little chatter to her comment sections and leave my compliments on her comic pages. I didn't get to talk to her much. I wish I'd gotten to talk to her more. Maybe I felt a little intimidated, like I wasn't a good enough artist or big enough to get to talk to her more. That was so silly, utterly silly. No one deserves to be thought about like that. I wish I'd been a little braver.

Her work was one of the ones that inspired me to create content in this community. She inspired me, challenged me! I wanted to make nuzlocke work that could stand on an even playing field with hers. I'm a bit of a competitive spirit. When I see something I like, I always want to be just as good, and she lit that fire in me. The first nuzlocke comic I ever wanted to make (not Finding Your Roots) was created in likeness to her work. The work I have now is very different from the flavor she brought to nuzcomics, hell it doesn't even have humans, but the inspiration she gave me still carries in every comic page I draw. The importance of kindness, of gentleness, of stopping to smell the flowers and allowing quiet moments between characters. That's important to me. She inspired and changed the way I draw comics forever. I have so much to thank her for.

I am so, so, so sad about Angryskitty's passing. She was a wonderfully kind person, such a delight to talk to when I got the chance. It was heartbreaking to hear everything she'd been through. It was so heartbreaking to hear that this artist who inspired me and challenged me, who had always been there drawing away in the corner of my life was just... gone. She gave me something I will never be able to return, but I can still do one thing. Yuria's words have been ringing in my head from the moment I read them.

"Please create in her stead."

I will.

I'm in tears as I say it. Goodbye, Angryskitty. Rest well.

TerryTheTeryx

Gen Z Degenerate
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Flying, Steel
Pokédex Entry
A bizarre Pokémon who dislikes many social activities. She appears to have a penchant for peanut butter and foreign languages.
I'm going to jump back in and agree with Guma, add a bit on to my post, and say that that was a very touching farewell, Mouse.
I'm really glad that we can all talk about this, and that we all feel the same jumble of emotions when we have varying amounts of familiarity towards her.

So yeah, I wanted to properly say goodbye and farewell to angryskitty. Those 30 years were all that the world shared with her— and to put it bluntly— now she's gone, never to return to us. But from all of you and from what I've seen of her, she did influence this community a lot, as you guys put it. I'm still in shock.

Now I don't know who believes in an afterlife or supernatural power anything, but a couple of years ago a guy in another community I'm in passed away from a heart condition he had lived with all of his life. I think he was around 28? Around skitty's age, I'm sure. Like her, it was painless. And from one of the members, I clearly remember one saying something about how they call this situation something like a "saint's death", where the people with the purest hearts and most genuine and honest personalities are taken away peacefully and free from pain and stress. I just wanted to throw that out there. I think it adds a bit of perspective.
Rest in Peace.

Last edited:

Krisantyne

oh no
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 10, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she
Pokémon Type
Water
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon clings to Sharpedo and shares in its prosperity. When its Sharpedo is attacked, Krisantyne will fight alongside it!
I’m bad at this, so it‘s not as beautiful as the other messages, but yeah.

I miss Angryskitty so much.
This the fourth time a young person I knew has passed away, and it doesn’t get any easier to process, it gets harder. It’s not right. They were not done with what they were going to do on this world. They blessed so many people by being in their lives, and now the people who come later just won’t meet them. There are holes in the world.
Angryskitty‘s work was some of the best I’ve ever seen, with so much care put into the characters, giving them all the space needed to unfold and feel real. It was just good in every way. I’m sure it will continue to inspire everyone who comes across it even later. I guess that’s one of the best things one can leave behind.

I wish I had tried harder to know her better. I‘m grateful for the few times we talked and for knowing that she enjoyed my work too. Our conversations were mostly joking around, but the one that stuck with me was the one about feeling the same anxiety over how our plots would be received. That just meant a lot to me.

Rest in peace, friend. Thanks for everything.

JavierE64

Masks are so 2016!!! But don´t forget to wear one
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Water
Pokédex Entry
The Master of both Light and Darkness; who loves the Violent and Dramatic, and the Fun and Adorable.
This is a little tough for me to write, so I apologize if this comes out as a tad short.

When I first heard of AngrySkitty, was when I first read Nuzlocke on Ice a couple of years ago; Her beautiful art style, and fantastic characters, really made this comic among one of my favorites, Unfortunately, I wasn´t very active back then, so aside from a few comments on some pages, I never got to fully interact with her. It wasn´t only until I came across the news of her passing that I truly discovered how great of a person she was, the things she had to go through, and how she stayed strong with a bright spirit.

And such, Hearing of such wonderful person that I admire, dying, really hit me.

I´m so sorry that I never got to talk to her, or even thank her for what she´ve done.
The least I could do, is to say goodbye, and honor her wish to live and create.

Angryskitty.
Thank you, for everything.

Last edited:

Picket Furret

Antisocial Lurker
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Normal
I'm pretty awful at communication, so I apologize if this comes off as preachy

I never really got to know AngrySkitty personally either outside her main comic and gallery, though I'll say she was pretty amazing even not knowing what she was going through. I'll admit: even not knowing her personally, learning the news of her passing was pretty horrible, not because someone talented was gone from this world (though it didn't help), but because someone with a close circle of friends and family members lost someone important to them. Losing close friends and family members, online or otherwise, is a pretty shit thing to happen to anyone regardless of who you are and I honestly don't even wish it to the people I hate.

To AngrySkitty, Rest in Peace
To everyone close to her, Always keep her in your thoughts, for better or for worse

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
I've seen this thread up for a while, but I needed time to collect my thoughts. They're still not super collected, but they're about as organized as I think they can be for now. I apologize in advance if this comes off scattered or preachy or detached or anything.

Nuzlocke on Ice is one of the first Nuzlocke comics I really got in to. The original nuzlocke comic wasn't my cup of tea, but a way to make Pokemon games harder was increasingly up my alley, as I got older (and thus the games got easier). I got into nuzlockes through videos and some screenshot runs, but after the first comic, I hadn't really considered nuzlocke comics again.

Until I discovered the adorable bean that is Blueberry. I don't even recall how I found Nuzlocke on Ice, to be honest. There's a good chance that, as with most things, my best friend found it first and then showed it to me, though, so let's go with that.

But once I found Nuzlocke on Ice, I discovered a whole new world. For a while, all I was doing on my phone was reading nuzlocke comics. It was mostly on Smackjeeves, but, increasingly, those comics plugged these forums, and I realized that this community, which I had already been stalking, was a community.

And although I wasn't an artist, there was a place for me within it.

Since coming to the forums, I've talked with a number of people on a more personal level, but life is busy for everyone, and so despite my admiration for Angryskitty and her work, she was never one of those people. When the news broke, it was a shock for me. Maybe this sounds stupid, but I think, somehow, I thought that because what you say on the Internet is forever, the people who use it are forever? Which is a wildly irrational notion, since, like, everyone uses the Internet, so if it made people immortal, then that would make it even more revolutionary than it already has been?

But when has human emotion ever been rational?

I'm sorry again for this generic, probably, send-off, but there is little that can be said other than "Let's feel what we feel, however irrational, together."

MouseWithADinosaurTail

A Comedian At Heart
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
I'm sorry again for this generic, probably, send-off, but there is little that can be said other than "Let's feel what we feel, however irrational, together."
I just wanna take a moment to second these words. Death is a messy thing, and the emotions it stirs up in us are all messy in turn. A lot of us probably have some very turbulent or messy feelings, but I just want to iterate that anything you are feeling about Angryskitty's passing, anything at all, is a valid emotion to have. There's no right or wrong way to feel about something like this. So no matter how irrational or silly or improper those feelings may feel, accept them. We can all feel them together!

OrdoSkirata

Space Nerd
🎇Contributor
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 18, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Water, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Wild Ordo will often hide alone; however, caught specimen are loyal until their death.
I never got to meet Skitty. I didn't know anything about her. Until I saw the newsletter, I was only vaguely aware of NOICE's existence. But this news... it makes me angry. Sure, it mingles with everything else that comes with grieving, but it sticks through the rest. Angry for the life that was cut off too soon. It's not the first I've seen, and it won't be the last, I'm sure.

In somewhat typical Star Wars super-fan fashion, I've snagged a phrase from EU Mandalorian culture that goes like this: "Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc. Ni partayli, gar darasuum" followed by lost loved ones' names. It literally translates to "I'm still alive, but you are dead. I remember you, so you are eternal." - it's a daily ritual remembrance, for as long as you live. It's my way of thanking the people who've influenced me, because if I don't remember them, then I risk forgetting the past and repeating mistakes or needing to relearn lessons they taught me. Skitty didn't do so directly, but she contributed inspiration and love and warmth to those of you who have been an amazing blessing to me, even through my unbreakable lurking habit, and that's worth remembering.

My list is now five names long.

PurpleEyedGuma

21st Century Schizoid Mon
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 9, 2019
Pronouns
They / Them
I have a quote to compliment Ordo's quote:

"Every man has two deaths, when he is buried in the ground and the last time someone says his name. In some ways men can be immortal."
—Ernest Hemingway

Last edited:

RandomTrainer

.... huh?
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
hey you/whatever
Pokémon Type
???
I guess I'll finally get myself to write this, rather then keep it bottled some more.......

I didn't know Skitty. I don't know very many people on here at all really. I lurk more then talk and THAT was how I knew her.
I'd log on here and see the headcount at the bottom or read over the whose left what comment where and I remember seeing her a lot.
That little cute pink kitty icon waving at me, making me smile in itself.
I could tell that she was someone important to the rest of you, that she was friendly and nice, that she had a lot to give and made threads brighter.
To be honest, I knew so little about her, that I didn't even know she was the creator of Nuzlocke on Ice, a story that I also didn't even know was what you guys all had been referring to as 'Noice'. It wasn't until after the news that two and two got put together and new heartbreak ensued......

Most the time, I've tried not to read too much of other's nuzlocke comics, a bit afraid that I might find myself mimicking someone else's story, gain too much influence, basically a bunch of weird thoughts that have kept me from seriously binge reading and.... Nuzlocke on Ice was the first one I solidly caved and read. The cushy art style, the care, the flow, the whole thing it just... had me and now...... that last panel is lingering in my head.
"BB... Where are you going?!!"

While I wish I could explain it better, I can't... maybe it's the fact that we're both a Blue run, that we both ran with Squirtle, that we both just got past Pewter, that we both put our badges on our hats.......... but....... Something about this has me frozen.
Like I'm just standing somewhere on Route 3 and it suddenly became sacred space...... and it hurts, I feel like I shouldn't just walk past it without a second thought, like for a little bit.... I have to stay here and just...... touch the grass where she walked.... thank her for ever having been.........

Bug

👉😎👉
Administrator
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
oh fuck oh shit my dots...............................................................................................................................
I don't have words. Hearing that someone here has passed away was news I never wished to hear. I don’t doubt for a second that Skitty made her every second count; It’s obvious in the hurt coming from the people close to her. We’ll all move on with a hole in our heart.

MouseWithADinosaurTail

A Comedian At Heart
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
I just wanted to say @RandomTrainer, that was beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Izuna's Spider

Here for the fun
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 21, 2020
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Bug, Poison
I really can't believe it. I just read the headline of this thread and thought something was wrong with Angryskitty but I didn't think of that, and even if I never talked to her or never gotten to know her this really hit me.
Her art was just so smooth and NOICE has so nice characters you only can adore. To look at her art and the way poeple talk about her clarified what a beautiful and nice person she was and that it isn't fair if such a young person had to pass away, especially after she just want to live and create.

I have a quote to compliment Ordo's quote:

"Every man has two deaths, when he is buried in the ground and the last time someone says his name. In some ways men can be immortal."
—Ernest Hemingway
I only can agree with PurpleEyedGuma. As long as Angryskitty stays in our heart and as long as we cherish her beautiful art she will be immortal in that way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)