• Episode Four of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode will be the last one featuring chapters from Call of the Divines and Solstice! Tune in to hear what the story's creators have to say about these audio adaptations of their runs.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
Thread Description
A Diamond Storylocke. Celebrating 8 years with Chapter 68, posted on 4.30.20 [thread currently under construction]

Aurea

🎇Contributor
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Grass, Steel

"Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things coming together." -Vincent van Gogh

Rules said:
1. If a Pokemon faints, it is considered dead and must be immediately permaboxed (because I'm too sentimental to release them ;n; ).

2. Only the first Pokemon seen in each new area may be caught.
--a. Dupes clause is OFF. I don't know why I thought this was a good idea in D/P, but here we are.
--b. Shiny Pokemon are exempt from this rule, but on the off chance I manage to run across one, it will be immediately boxed.
--c. Gift Pokemon/Eggs are allowed, but must be obtained/hatched in a new area.

3. Each Pokemon must be given a nickname
Includes lots of cussing, moderate violence, and suggestive themes. If you have any concerns about potential triggers, don't hesitate to reach out!

Welcome to Impulse, a Diamond storylocke based on my first ever Nuzlocke run. I first posted this story in 2012 on the old forums, and I am very excited to take the opportunity to start posting updated chapters here! I've merged the old thread with the new, so all the content from the old forums can be found here until I finish updating them. You can also find the updated chapters on ao3 in the meantime!

CHAPTER ONE:
They are everywhere.

Spread across the counter, stacked on the kitchen table, overflowing in the mailbox. They are slowly swallowing our little house, drowning us like rapid flood waters.

I want to burn the damn things.

But that would be rather stupid. That won't change the fact that they are overdue, after all. It won't change the fact that we're facing foreclosure. So a bonfire of unpaid bills is out of the question.

Instead of bank statements, I stand here and watch my mother go up in smoke.

She picked up the habit when she was a kid, no more than thirteen or so, I suppose. It was cool back in the day, or at least, according to her. But over time it's taken a visible toll on her body. Her fingernails are yellowed, her teeth stained. Her breath reeks of tobacco and she is unnaturally frail, her once silky brown hair now streaked with silver. She has a hacking cough and a scratchy voice, making her sound much older than she truly is.

She expertly lights another one, her lighter clicking distinctly as she watches me with an unwavering gaze. "Got some bad news, kiddo."

I watch her as she takes another long drag on her cigarette, hoping she savors every last puff. Those damn things are expensive, and one of the many reasons we're so far in the hole. Doesn't she know that we can't afford for her to have such a pricey habit?

What's ironic is that, somewhere along the way, I picked up the habit as well. Like mother like daughter.

"Lemme guess," I say flatly, my expression apathetic at best. "Your job interview flopped. Again."

Her mouth tightens, and I soften a bit. Feeling a little guilty about the low blow, I sigh and sit next to her, awkwardly placing my hand on her bony knee.

"I know you are going to resent me for this," she begins, her eyes focused on some particularly interesting stain on the carpet, "but until I can find a steady job, you're going to have to do your part."

"Arceus Mom, what else do you want me to do?" I snap, yanking my hand away. "I already do the laundry, wash the dishes, and clean the house-"

"I mean, you're going to have to bring in some income, Nat, or we're going to lose the house," she says softly. I take that moment to glance at her and notice she looks so... deflated. Defeated.

"Look, I'm trying, okay? I've got that interview for the waitress gig in Sandgem on Thursday, remember?"

She sighs, her head in her hands. "Even if you manage to get that job, it won't be enough. I'm sorry Nat, but... I'm going to have to ask you to make a sacrifice."

It takes me a few seconds to fully understand what she's implying. My body stiffens, and I recoil from her in disbelief. "M-mom, you know that I-"

"I know I'm asking a lot from you, but just hear me out," she blurts, eyes pleading with me. "On Thursday, I'll go in your place to the interview. I know I'm a shoo-in... the manager's had a thing for me for a long time, and I can wear my new --"

"Mom," I groan, cutting her off before she goes any further. "Look, if you want to take the interview, sure, go for it. But is it really necessary for me to... you know..."

She looks me square in the eye, her emerald clashing against my sapphire. "If you don't want to end up living in a cardboard box, you better suck it up and do what needs to be done."

[-:-]
My hand hovers above the large brass knocker, shaped like a cherubic Happiny. With a grimace, I pick it up and bang it against the door, marveling at the fact I'm actually standing here, on these concrete steps in front of the laboratory I'd only ever gazed at from afar.

It's a famous spot -- about the only thing to marvel at in Sandgem Town, and the only notable landmark within walking distance of my sleepy little town of Twinleaf. The head researcher of this laboratory, Professor Rowan, apparently travels around the world studying the evolution of Pokemon. Most kids dream of stepping into his world-renowned lab, as I'm about to do. I should be ecstatic. I should feel privileged in fact, that I'm about to waltz right in and talk to him.

And maybe I would, if I wasn't terrified of Pokemon.

I swallow the lump in my throat and fiddle with my jacket as I wait for the door to swing open, revealing a lab crawling with filthy creatures. And I continue to wait, until my paper thin patience evaporates like a teardrop in the Hoenn desert. My hand reaches for the brass knocker again when the door is suddenly flung open; a stout man in a lab coat filling the doorway.

"I'm looking for Professor Rowan," I tell him reluctantly, still amazed that I am about to do this. "I'd... I'd like to talk to him about getting my trainer's license?"

"Sorry kid," the man half-yawns, looking completely and utterly bored to death by my presence. "He's working in the field today, and he's not going to be back for a while. Why don't you come back tomorrow, okay?"

I can feel my face flush at his dismissive tone. I did not walk this fucking far through grass teeming with wild Pokemon, just to be told I would have to come back later!

Biting back my fury, I tell him as much, but he doesn't seem to give a damn anyway. He simply scratches his arm with a plump hand and says, "Like I said, he'll be back tomorrow. You can come back then." A woman's voice beckons him from inside, and his huge head swivels on his non-existent neck as he turns to answer her, smoothly swinging the door shut behind him. Enraged, I turn on my heel and stomp quickly away from the lab -- mumbling so many expletives I put sailors to shame.

One moment I'm cursing, and the next... well, I'm still cursing. But now I'm sprawled unceremoniously on the ground, my vision blurring slightly.

"Shoot, I'm such an idiot. You okay?" a male voice asks, genuine concern obvious in his tone.

"Damn straight you're an idiot, running into people out of nowhere," I grumble, trying to focus on his face. His figure is swimming in and out of focus, but as I concentrate harder I can make out high-cheekbones, almond eyes, and wild blond hair. His brow is furrowed in concern as he helps me to my feet.

"It happens a lot," he admits sheepishly as I brush off my jeans. "I get in a hurry and forget to watch where I'm going."

"So I see," I mutter unhappily, my fingers brushing over a new tear in my jeans. I grimace as I feel the bruise forming underneath, and the boy seems to be mortified.

"I'm so sorry... Is there anything I can do?" He seems sincere enough, but I raise my hand to wave him away.

That is, until I catch sight of the red and white sphere attached to his hip. It gleams in the afternoon sunlight -- not a scratch on it. It must be new. "So you're a trainer?"

His face brightens, and he beams proudly at me as his hand flies to his belt. "Yeah! I actually just got my license and starter a few days ago." He unclips the Pokeball from his belt and taps it once with his index finger to enlarge it. "Wanna see him? He's--"

"No!" I practically snarl, my tone causing him to shrink away from me. I wait until he returns the Pokeball to his belt before I continue. "No, I was just wondering if maybe... you could help me catch one of my own. Then we'd be even."

"Yeah, sure!" he says. "It's the least I can do. You get your license recently, too?"

"Yesterday," I tell him, the lie sliding easily off my tongue. "So, what do you say we get going?" I force a smile to feign excitement. Patience does not come to me as naturally as lying does.

Oblivious, he mirrors my fake grin with his genuine one and begins to talk about all the possibilities of Pokemon I could encounter.

At this point I tune him out in favor of mulling over my own thoughts as we make our way to the edge of town. When it comes right down to it, I have to admit -- I'm terrified. I've not had the greatest experiences with Pokemon, and the knowledge that I'm about to seek one out and attempt to tame it doesn't exactly appeal to me.

"-don't know that I caught your name?"

I catch the end of his question and pause, realizing I'd been fiddling with the end of my braid nervously. We've stopped walking, and he regards me curiously with his big brown eyes. They're the color of maple syrup when sunlight is streaming down on it. Warm, sweet, pure. Arceus, this is going to be too easy.

"Natalie." It sounds so weird, to use my full first name. I'm so used to being called Nat by my mother, that anything else seems formal and strange to me.

"Nice to meet you, Natalie," he says, his hand extended expectantly. "I'm Chase."

I continue walking past him, ignoring his hand. It's cute that he wants to be friends, but right now, I'm really just trying to get to the taller grass quickly so I can find a little money-earning battle monster and get my mom off my back. If Chase is bothered by my cold demeanor, he doesn't show it. He's all too happy to continue chatting, even when he doesn't get much in response.

The tall grass of Route 201 rushes up to meet us, and I hesitate with my toes just inches from it. I can hear rustling further in, and I wipe my palms on my jeans. I nearly jump out of my skin when I hear a sharp hissing sound behind me, but it's just Chase spraying himself down with a repel. He empties half the can, and then tosses it to me. "Here you go. I hear you can catch some rare Pokemon at Verity Lakefront -- so we'll look there for your starter. Stay close to me."

And with that, he brushes past me and wades into the thick grass. I glance longingly at the path that leads back to Twinleaf, take a deep breath, then grudgingly follow suit. The blades wrap around my legs, tangling in my fingers as I push forward.

It isn't a long walk to Lake Verity, and before long we stumble through a thin band of trees and walk out into the open. The lake is sparkling in the harsh sunlight, and Chase sighs contentedly as he walks to the water's edge. "It's so peaceful."

"Uh huh," I mumble, folding my arms as I wait for him to quit gawking. I open my mouth to remind him about catching a Pokemon, when something at the edge of the grass catches my eye. On further inspection, it is a leather-bound briefcase, covered in scuff marks and worn slick from use. I cautiously retrieve it, and drag it away from the grass.

"What have you got there?" Chase asks, before joining me at staring at the briefcase. He bends over and attempts to open it, but a tiny lock holds it securely in place. "Well that's no good," he murmurs to himself, rubbing his chin in thought. "How are we supposed to find out who it belongs to if we can't open it? There's no tag on the outside..."

Silently, I fish a pin out of my hair, my bangs falling in my face as I work on the lock. Chase watches with a raised brow as the lock pops open, and I secure my loose hair with the pin once more.

"How did you...?"

"Little trick I picked up at summer camp," I snort sarcastically. I can feel his eyes boring into me, so I glance over my shoulder and smirk. "What, you've never seen a girl pick a lock before?"

"What kind of summer camp did you go to?" he asks with a laugh, stooping down next to me.

I pry the briefcase open to reveal a heap of unorganized papers. Chase begins picking through them, looking for a name, but my attention is drawn by something else.

Carefully, I extend my hand and grab the lone Pokeball from the corner of the briefcase. I can feel the warmth emanating from it, and it feels like whatever is inside is struggling to escape. Startled, I nearly drop the Pokeball from my shaking hands.

Chase is too busy to notice. His eyes are squinted as he skims the pages, his mouth forming a thin line. "Hmmm. These papers are all field notes about different Pokemon." He glances up at me. "I'm guessing it belongs to someone at the lab."

I don't even have time to process this -- for at that exact moment a raucous cawing comes from the nearby woods. All of the sudden, a flurry of feathers and talons and sharp beaks is tearing at my clothes, clawing my face.

My heart thuds in my chest as I cover my face with my hands, the hooked talons raking through my jacket sleeves. Chase is yelling something, and I catch a glimpse of a second ball of feathers attacking him.

"Go, Axel!" I hear him shout, a flash of pink light releasing what I assume is his starter, letting it join the brawl.

Although I'm certain my eyeballs are about to be pecked out of my skull and my flesh torn to ribbons in an untimely death, I have the fleeting thought of the Pokeball that is clenched in my fist. I chuck it at the ground, hoping for something huge and terrifying that will scare these fucking birds away.

What materializes on the ground before me is slightly less impressive than I'd imagined.

• 2013​
    2014​
    2015​
    2016​
    2017​
    2018​
    Best Writing Style
    Favorite Dramatic Story
    Best Worldbuilding in a Written Run
    Saddest Death in a Written Run

Riley
    Saddest Death in a Written Run

Riley
    Best Overall Written Run
    Saddest Death

Ivan
    Favorite Written Supporting Character

Dani (Maylene)
    Best Protagonist in a Written Run

Natalie Hart
    -​
    -​
    Best Supporting Character in a Written Run

Chase
    Best Written Run
    -​
    Best Rival in a Written Run

Chase
    -​
    -​
    -​
    Best Extra Character

Riley
    -​
    -​
    -​
    -​
    -​

• 2018 Best Overall Written Run Interview | March 9th, 2019
    Featured Fan Runs | May 5th, 2017
    Featurette | April 1st, 2016
    Featured Story Runs | December 5th, 2012

FANWORKS, CAMEOS, & MORE

(original art by hopelessromantic721

A two-part collab with the lovely QuickSilver, writer of The Gauntlet
The Night Before - by QuickSilver! | The Aftermath - by me!

Last edited:
G

generic4

I think I quite like this. Nat is certainly...colorful (and clearly goes to the best summer camps, eh?) Interesting way to start a journey as well, what with the hatred of pokemon and all. I'll follow this pretty hard.

S

Slothtastic

Oh, nice!

You switched tenses a few places, though.
Her mouth tightens, and I soften a bit. Feeling a little guilty about the low blow, I sigh and sit next to her, awkwardly placed my right hand on her bony knee.
I don't even have time to process this- for at that exact moment a raucous cawing came from the nearby woods. All of the sudden, a flurry of feathers and talons and sharp beaks is tearing at my clothes, clawing my face.
Beyond that, it's pretty good for an introduction.

T

thefrozentundra

I'm betting it's a piplup!

Looks awesome so far, Aurea (I keep wanting to call you 'Pho' that being short for Phoenix, but I didn't know if you'd like that xD). I've actually been excited to see you start this since I noticed you going around reading a bunch of story lockes in... preparation?

It'll be interesting to see how Natalie interacts with her pokemon! Looking forward to more.

V

vulzam

Love your writing style, definitely following yours!
Makes me wanna play my Sinnoh run now lol.

L

LordQ

I love your writing style. I mean really, wow. I'd love to see this completed. I hope you have the time.

And I'm totally calling it that the pokeball has a Chimchar in it.

D

DaKinkles

Quite the update we have here. I don't have any criticism for it...I rather like it too.

Continue and stuff.

P

Pokemon_As_Leaders

And now my wait is over.
Aurea's putting up a story 'locke now!

Intriguing character so far in Natalie--looking forward to more, and hoping that you don't update before me!

Aurea

🎇Contributor
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Grass, Steel
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow! I did not expect to have this many comments... In fact, I didn't expect any at all.
Thank you all so much!
@generic4: I'm glad you like it! And yes, Nat's a little rough around the edges. :dubs: Glad to know you'll be following. c:

@Slothtastic: Ugh... I cannot believe I didn't see those.
It was originally written in past tense, but when I switched to present I must have missed a few. Thank you for pointing them out so I could get them fixed~ c: And I'm glad you like it otherwise.

@thefrozentundra: Aurea, Rea, Pho, Nix... it doesn't really matter what you call me. Whatever works for you. c: And I'm so glad you liked it! Preparation might be the right word... I just wanted to get a feel for the community a bit before posting a story, instead of just jumping in headfirst.

@vulzam: I'm so happy you like my writing style, and that you'll be following. c: Thank you!

@LordQ: Thank you so much for commenting! Hearing you like my writing style is just, wow. I mean, you are such a well-known writer on here that it means a lot. c: I have a few chapters written ahead, in case my schedule doesn't allow for much writing time. Whatever the case, I have every intention of seeing this through to the end.

@ItsKinkajou: I will definitely continue, it just may take a while. c: Good to hear you like it.

@PaL: Finally, your wait is over!
Glad you like Natalie, and don't worry, it'll be a week or two before I get to post the next chapter I guarantee you'll be able to run circles around my update speed.

E

Erzz

Did you edit the prologue? The beginning seemed a lot similar to something else I'd read, though this was much better. Maybe I was just in a worse mood a while ago when I tried to read it. In any case, your writings really good. I'm interested to see how you continue it!

C

Crow

I am getting the Hunger Games vibes from this. In a good way, of course. I'm not sure if you were going for a fast pace at the cliffhanger, but I can certainly feel Natalie's "oh crap" feeling.

I might follow this.

P

Pillowcase

So I came for the feature and stayed for the story. :U

This is great. Beware of tense shifts and those things (I see they were fixed!), and you've got a really nice story here. :3

("Nice" being used in the widest sense possible.)

Aurea

🎇Contributor
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Grass, Steel
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, I'm posting this a little bit earlier than I planned to, but I want to get the slow/boring stuff out of the way. :scallop: Thanks for the comments, everyone. It really means a lot!

REPLIES:
@LordQ: Oh my gosh...
You can't even begin to fathom how much this means to me. I've followed the featured story run thread for a long time, so to see my story up there is such an honor. I'm not sure I'm deserving, but hopefully I won't let you down. :)

@Erzz: I did edit it, but only to fix the tense shifts that were pointed out. The content is the same. Still, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

@Crow: Come to think of it, the dynamic between Nat and her mom is somewhat similar to the relationship between Katniss and her mother.
I hadn't even realized it. And yes, I was going for a bit of a rushed feeling toward the end, to emulate Nat's thoughts in the heat of the moment. Thank you for commenting! :)

@Pillowcase: Yay! Thanks for dropping by. :scallop: Hopefully I won't have any more tense slip-ups. I'm glad you're liking it so far, and hope you continue to enjoy. :)

CHAPTER TWO:
The little creature stands on four stubby legs, and its large head is poking out of a plain brown shell. It looks up at me curiously, head cocked to the side as it watches the demon Starly swoop down again.

"Don't just stand there you worthless little turtle!" I yelp, before ducking down and snatching up the briefcase. "Help me fight it!"

The Turtwig makes some weird hissing noise -- whether at me or the Starly, I can't tell -- and gets a running start before launching itself into the air with surprising speed. It clips the Starly's wing, causing it to lose its balance. It wavers slightly in the air, and this is when I seize the opportunity to swing the briefcase like a baseball bat. It connects with a sickening crunch, sending the Starly crashing to the ground. The Turtwig slams into it while it's down and is received with a beak to the face. It squeals in pain before chomping down on the bird's wing. I turn my attention to Chase briefly, to see how he's faring.

Axel, as it turns out, is a tiny monkey with a flaming ass and sharp claws -- a Chimchar. Chase's starter is nimble, and agilely dodges every advance the Starly makes with ease. It spits a few embers at the bird, and it finally collapses to the ground in a heap of singed feathers -- dead as a doornail. I return my attention to the Turtwig and I am relieved to discover our Starly is dead as well -- although the Turtwig looks a lot worse off than Axel does. It's panting heavily, with cuts and scratches covering its reptilian body.

Chase rubs the back of his neck as he makes his way over to me, unable to look at the fallen Starly. Apparently he doesn't share my relief. "They must have had a nest nearby..." Axel darts up his pant leg to rest on his shoulder, blinking at me with inquisitive brown eyes. Chase sighs, and then looks to the Turtwig standing a few yards away, regarding us both with wary yellow eyes. "I thought you didn't have a Pokemon?"

"I don't," I say with a shrug. "Found a Pokeball in the briefcase."

Chase's face pales. "You mean... you battled with someone else's Pokemon and nearly got them killed?"

"I panicked, okay? If I had known it was a grass-type I wouldn't have sent it out," I say, folding my arms across my chest. I may not be super fond of Pokemon, I'm mildly offended that I strike Chase as the sadistic type.

He squints at me slightly, like he's still trying to figure me out, and then just shakes his head. "Well... it did a pretty good job, considering that type disadvantage," he relents, bending down to inspect the cuts and scrapes covering the little turtle. It shrinks away from him shyly, but when he rubs its head the Turtwig relaxes slightly.

I sigh loudly, and Chase glances up. "Right, sorry. Guess we better go find its owner. Surely someone at the lab will know who the briefcase belongs to."

"Yeah yeah, sure," I mutter. "But what about my Pokemon? You were supposed to help me catch one?"

"Don't worry, I haven't forgotten my promise," he reassures me with a warm smile. "We can always come back later, after we--"

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" exclaims a new voice, startling both Chase and I. A man who appears to be in his mid-twenties walks briskly in our direction. His inky black hair is cropped short, and his steely eyes are flicking nervously behind thick-framed glasses.

Before we can reply he stoops down and snatches up the briefcase, mumbling to himself worriedly as he straightens up the contents. After a moment he seems to finally realize we're staring at him, and he scolds us. "What were you two doing with the Professor's briefcase?! There are incredibly important documents in there, not to mention his..."

He trails off as he surveys the scene around us -- his face hardening as he notices the slaughtered bird Pokemon and the charred feathers that litter the ground. Then his eyes rest on the Turtwig, who stares back at him blankly.

"What happened here?" he asks, resembling a scolding parent as he returns his focus to us. Chase shifts uneasily, looking like a guilty child who has been accused of stealing. I, however, don't even bat an eye. I have been that kid too many times, and by now I know better than to give him any reason to be suspicious of me.

"You aren't exactly in a position to be asking questions, since we don't even know who we'd be answering to." My response is delivered coolly, my face unchanging. He's not the only one who can demand answers, and I'm not one to cave in easily.

The tension hangs in the air like a thin fog, the kind that lingers after a thunderstorm at dusk. He squints at me, no doubt trying to read my expression. But it's hard to get anything from a face carved in stone, so he folds his arms tightly across his chest. "Lucas Hanlin. I'm the Professor's assistant. He sent me to retrieve this briefcase. So, since you have clearly tampered with it, I believe I have every right to be asking questions."

"We weren't doing anything wrong," Chase butts in, sincerity practically oozing from his pores. "We found the briefcase, sure, but we only opened it to find out who it belonged to. We fully intended to bring it to the lab to find the owner, but..."

Chase goes on to explain what happened, while I continue to study Lucas. He has relaxed a little, and his attention is now directed at Chase's Pokemon. The Chimchar prods the injured Turtwig curiously, his eyes glittering with mischief. And of course, the grass-type does not protest. In fact, it seems quite oblivious to everything that is occurring around it.

"Even if you're telling the truth," Lucas says firmly, "I'm afraid you'll have to come with me. The Professor is going to want to talk to both of you." He retrieves the Pokeball from where it lies on the ground, recalls the Turtwig, and returns the red and white sphere to the briefcase.

I open my mouth to protest, but then I realize this is what I had come to Sandgem Town for in the first place -- a chance to speak with the Professor. So for once, I am compliant. Chase seems surprised by this, but doesn't question it and plods along after us, his Chimchar attached to his shoulder like velcro.

We don't need a repel this time as we wade through the grass -- the presence of three humans and a capable fire-type seems to keep most of the wild Pokemon at bay, thankfully. Chase recalls the Chimchar to his Pokeball when we enter town, and before long I am standing in front of the lab for the second time in one day -- but this time when the stout assistant opens the door, I smirk at him. And he can't do anything but grimace, because Lucas has already pushed past him and made his way into the lab, with Chase and I on his heels.

It's a little different than I expected it to be. I was anticipating walls of cages lined with Pokemon, and scientists bustling around in oversized lab coats, carrying test tubes and talking in hushed voices. But the room we enter actually resembles a lobby. The floor is made out of the granite that is native to Mt. Coronet, and so well polished I can see my own reflection as I peer down at it. There is a reception desk and a small waiting area of sorts, which is where Lucas leads us.

"You two just hang out here for a minute while I go get the Professor." He heads toward the back of the lab, briefcase in hand, leaving Chase and I alone.

"We're so screwed," Chase mutters, leaning his head back against the wall and staring up at the ceiling.

I snort. "Calm down, they can't do anything to us. It'll be fine." For all my posturing, there's a small pit in my stomach -- but considering how close a Starly came to skewering my face, I think I'm entitled to be a little on edge. People don't scare me. Pokemon do. "Besides, isn't this dude like a hundred years old? What's he gonna do, whack us with his cane and tell us to get the hell off his lawn?"

Chase exhales a laugh at that -- but immediately straightens up when the doors swing on their hinges, allowing Lucas to walk through with Professor Rowan in tow. As Lucas moves to the side, I get a good long look at the man who is known for his evolution research worldwide.

I have to admit, he's a little more intimidating in person.

It's interesting, revisiting these chapters one by one! It's been well over 7 years since I originally wrote this. I've cleaned up early chapters for posting here, but wanted to stick as close to the original as possible. I forgot how close I stuck to in-game events in the beginning... that will all change soon enough. c: The early chapters are a lot shorter, as well! I may start uploading them in pairs, at some point.

CURRENT TEAM:
???

Last edited:
L

LordQ

Lol, a nice reversal of the way the Professor is typically seen ingame at the end there.

Not a lot happened in this chapter, which isn't necessarily bad per se, but make sure some good stuff happens in the next one. :3

Well written, and thus a fine a chapter nonetheless.

C

Crow

Rather short, but fine nonetheless. Also,
Natalie said:
I have to admit, he's a little more intimidating in person.
This, I want to see.

G

generic4

I loved the confrontation between Lucas and Nat. The tension between the two of them...awesome. And now you have me excited to meet the intimidating professor.

T

thefrozentundra

Used briefcase! It was super effective!

This was indeed short, but still good. Like generic, I really liked the confrontation between Natalie and Lucas. I bet the talk with Rowan's gonna be even better.

P

Pokemon_As_Leaders

Is it just me, or do most of the good characters seem to share the same snarky attitude? Nothing bad meant by it, of course, but it just seems that everyone (maybe except for Chase) has the same sort of mindset about everything.

Regardless of that little nitpick, it's good! Can't wait to see Rowan's appearance!

P

Pillowcase

Hrm.

Well, Rowan is the only professor who could possibly be intimidating. Birch has got shoulders like an ice hockey player (without even having pads on) but makes up for it with the expression and bravery of a six-year-old girl; Juniper's a middle-aged woman who smiles and her clothes definitely restrict her from doing anything harmful to anyone, particularly with her legs; Elm's the wussiest wuss you could possibly imagine and Oak is, well, Oak. Rowan, with his boisterous moustache and thunder god expression, fits as a terror-inducing person. :v

Also: "DO YOU LOVE POKÉMON".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)