• Episode Four of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode will be the last one featuring chapters from Call of the Divines and Solstice! Tune in to hear what the story's creators have to say about these audio adaptations of their runs.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Screenshot Kanto Johto Hoenn Sinnoh Unova I wanna be the very best: a globe-trotting Nuzlocke gauntlet

Thread Description
Running through all of the Pokemon games. ALL OF THEM. (except for Green) Current: Black finished! Next: White

TheTRUEgge

Ethos is overrated
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon has too many ideas for their own good.
Dang, I’d forgotten how much ground you cover in your updates. Glad to see Liv doing well! Less glad to see your utter lack of water coverage (that’s the reason shock wave has some use. The only one)

Cyrus may only be 27 in body but his mind is clearly that of a boomer. He’s so intelligent that it aged faster or... something.

Do you plan to evolve Scyther, or will you keep it as is? Stab wing attack is certainly doing well for you

Electro

Dr. Ultimate Procrastinator Extreme
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 22, 2019
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fighting
I'm stalling in the hopes that she's stupid enough to use Sunny Day.
You have a fire type out. Surely she won't.

Oh.

LOVE ME BUNEARY
Me @ every Golbat I've ever owned.

Oh also it's night now, so time to go catch Rotom
Shocking.

Oop, I forgot to box the egg.
T U C H E G G E

And got it.
I'm gonna be real, I grabbed these quotes yesterday. I forgot what you were doing then.

fuck teleport
Taunt feels awesome.

40,000 steps later...
Me @ my Fitbit.

Did I ever point out how unusual it is that your mom has a name in this game?
The Unnamed Princess of Dorne would like to know your location.

Speaking of high-power STAB moves, Liv Tyler is kicking ass now.
Okay, a question that has been killing me this whole time: who is Liv Tyler?

He's right...Team galactic escalates from Skull-level nuisance to domestic terrorism in a real hurry.
The thing that isn't explained is why the champion is right there but doesn't fight the REAL ACTUAL TERRORISTS.

I do have a teeny dilemma about to whom I give my ground TMs, considering I have 2 ground types and neither of them learn Earthquake by level, but I'll cross that bridge once I'm sure neither of them are going to die.
Ha! I don't have to worry about that, because all my good Pokemon always die!

*ugly sobbing*

Why didn't I try to use Tropius in Emerald...?
Because you don't hate yourself? This is not hard?

Trained for Wake and "accidentally" got Pele over by one level.
oh no

Last edited:

SnackyTheSylph

He's a jolly fellow
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ground
Pokédex Entry
I SWALLOW SLUDGE TO TRANSFORM MYSELF
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dang, I’d forgotten how much ground you cover in your updates. Glad to see Liv doing well! Less glad to see your utter lack of water coverage (that’s the reason shock wave has some use. The only one)

Cyrus may only be 27 in body but his mind is clearly that of a boomer. He’s so intelligent that it aged faster or... something.

Do you plan to evolve Scyther, or will you keep it as is? Stab wing attack is certainly doing well for you
Some combination of the new lack of an image limit, the inherent repetition of this run, and just my general style makes my updates end up really long.
I think I'll keep Scyther for as long as is reasonable. I'm fine with Scyther, but there may come a time where Scizor's tankiness would be more useful than Scyther's speed.

You have a fire type out. Surely she won't.

Oh.

Me @ every Golbat I've ever owned.

Shocking.

T U C H E G G E

I'm gonna be real, I grabbed these quotes yesterday. I forgot what you were doing then.

Taunt feels awesome.

Me @ my Fitbit.

The Unnamed Princess of Dorne would like to know your location.

Okay, a question that has been killing me this whole time: who is Liv Tyler?

The thing that isn't explained is why the champion is right there but doesn't fight the REAL ACTUAL TERRORISTS.

Ha! I don't have to worry about that, because all my good Pokemon always die!

*ugly sobbing*

Because you don't here yourself? This is not hard?

oh no
It's always the Togepi with me, I guess.
It do be like that sometimes.
I don't know who this princess is. Seeing as how she doesn't have a name, I guess that's intentional.
Liv Tyler is a famous actress. I named my Lopunny after her because one of the protagonists of Homestuck has an infatuation with her that leads him to name a stuffed bunny after her. Also the bunny wields a bunch of deadly weapons.
It's such a tragedy, that one level. How will I ever come to grips with having an Infernape instead of a Monferno.

Here we are in Wake's gym. You know this gym is basically a straight line? With, like, a couple wrong ways. It's like making a maze out of Meta Knight's sword. Sure, you could go the wrong way if you really want to, but...why.

Anyway, here's wonderWake.

Wake is kind of scary but I don't want to give him any quarter so I'm just going to set up on him

Ow.

Here's me not getting Aqua Jetted.

Bitch.

Wonderf--Oh, WOW, Rock Tomb? Really? Good thing I healed.

I did this betting on him not having Water Absorb, but really why doesn't he have Water Absorb???

Eh, whatever, it's done.

DOM!

I love Platinum.

Thanks for being on top of things, Looker.

Well, that's over with!

I want Surf.

Beautiful.

This route sure does exist.

Ah, dammit. I tried to avoid this, but I went one tile too high right as they were walking toward me.

This isn't...great...

This is also not great but I need that Raichu out of here ASAP and I can't risk anyone against Gyarados. Rock On is thicc, so she can probably take a hit from Gyarados.

...tail whip? okay, buddy.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

I...yikes.

This may look stupid, but at least Pele can for sure take out Raichu.

yuck.

That was gross.

pretend my rock smasher isn't dead

My first loss to something that wasn't a crit in this game. ...hm.

The

Who gave this guy a bomb??

Delivery man is me

cyruse

man I wish I had Surf

gross

I could've just done that from the beginning

Sure.

ouw.

Hooray.

...why did you make me deliver the charm if you were coming here anyway? Did I make this complaint in DP? I don't even remember.

I can finally take that away now that she's had plenty of time to max out her friendship for that sweet 102 power Return

Sure.

Ah. You...need Strength to get to the Feebas lake. I thought you only needed Surf.

Welp, Canalave time. I gotta go to Iron Island to get Strength from Riley, then come back. Annoying. Also you have to fight Gary to get there.

flex

oop

Strong, Princess Pinch is.

Its only fire move is Fire Spin.

oop 2

Toxic Spikes?? Ow.

Decently matched...from this range I could just punk him with Close Combat, but I can't get Infernape in while he's using Bubblebeam.

Oh, snap, I knocked him into Torrent.

poison.

OW FUCK

BLAZE!!

is sad about their life choices

That was my plan, yes.

oh boy

I was debating whether or not to evolve Scyther (so you know, its only stat changes are dropping 40 points from speed into 20 attack and 20 defense). But with Steelix down the type anchoring is nice. Also, I brought Scyther on partly as a Heracross answer, and sooner or later they're going to start carrying Rock moves.

I don't even know. Pretend I showed me digging up shards earlier.

everybody's looking forward to the weekend weekend

Also, blahhhh my Surfer died and I don't have her replacement yet.

Surfing adventures

Also, I added Espeon because I don't like only having 4 members. I named him Liwin because: The first name that came to my mind was Darwin, but that's an extremely uninspired name for an Eevee. But I took Darwin as if the Dar- stood for Dark. So if that's Dark-win, then this is Light-win, or Liwin.

Hooray!

...you need Byron's badge to use this.

Ughhhh.

yay

I debated learning Metal Claw, but I want to keep Wing Attack for the coverage.

BACK TO ADVENTURE!

Using Riley for healing so I can explore the right side of this floor like a true Gamer

During this segment I accidentally turned the game off without saving. I had reached a decent stopping point but didn't want to go on at that moment, so I closed the game assuming I had saved, which I hadn't. It was a real tragedy.

In that lost section, I noticed that you actually can take this as a single battle if you want. However, in fairness to what happened in this battle, I decide to engage the double anyway.

Lucario pls

oh lordy

My boy grew up fast

bitch

Well that was pretty simple, all things considered.

Blowing Byron out to get to Strength should be simple enough.

May as well.

pow wow

hm......I can pretty much remove all of the threat from this fight if I stay in Blaze like this. Just one thing...

Okay, I'm ready.

Easy, easy, easy. Bastiodon, though...I fear barely missing the OHKO and getting Metal burst'd.

Yes...this threat is even more likely with Frankie, but she can also lower his HP safely with Dragon rage.

OH GOD.

I say safely, but I actually wasn't sure what Metal Burst's multiplier was, so getting hit by it at 63 HP was a spook.

Done. Also, I don't think it ever came up, but after Rock On died I gave Earthquake to Frankie.

That went exactly to plan even though the two fighters are down to 15% or lower HP.

blah blah blah I just want my Feebas

DOM!

okay,

These stupid things are the thing that made me discover that I didn't save (I turned the game back on to go get them).

Still can't risk finding a Nosepass here.

FFFFFFFFFFffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.......

GGgggggrrrrrrrahhhhhhhh.

GO AWAY

GET. IT.

Time to fish. Procedurally.

Diamond and Emerald. I'll fish 3 times per tile, left to right and bottom to top.

Also, killing the Barboach since they give decent Exp.

Made it to the right edge...

Finally, back on the left edge...

Beautiful.

This tile was it.

Pretty good nature. Thank God it's not -Sp.Atk.

Buying poffins from the department store basement

hell yes hell yes hell yes

behold her power

Nice.

Milotic is a very good Pokemon. It's so cheap in ORAS that I really didn't want to have the option to use it there, and abusing champs clause for an encounter is slightly less scummy than abusing dupes clause for it.
Anyway, here's Psyche. I wanted to name her after a Greek lady (because I realized that, much like my FireRed run, most of my Pokemon besides Eevee have been female, and the two that were male account for my 2 crit deaths), but I already used Sappho and Aphrodite is just as creatively bankrupt a name for Milotic as Darwin is for Eevee. So we get Psyche, the obect of the personification of romantic love's romantic love.

snow time

She's doing amazing

It's pretty spectacular that Dragon Rage is still useful.

oh,

glalie sucks but I should probably try to dupe it out for Alola's sake

crumch crumch crumch through the snow, and i still hate Rock Climb

route 217, cool

okey

Hey, that was fast.

Candice's trophy is one of 3 Sinnoh trophies I don't have yet, and it's earned by beating her without using any moves that have 100% accuracy.

wow

ass

double ass

The only other inaccurate move I have is Hydro Pump, which probably won't even kill. I really should've given Pinch Metal Claw (95) for this.

Yikes yikes yikes.

Eventually she ran out of Psychics. Also noting for posterity that Recover's accuracy is null, not 100. That would be a really stupid way to lose this trophy.

Oh, NOW you hit.

Done.

:|

Now it's time for Galactic. I guess.

Looker makes this break-in less stupid, by some miracle.

Useless.

Bazinga.

fight time

Being at -2 defense makes me not want to fight Honchkrow

Drill Peck is a strong move.

I think it's pretty interesting that, despite decrying emotions as the world's fatal flaw, Cyrus uses a Crobat, which only evolves from Golbat through friendship.

Another thing that's interesting in a different way is that Poison Fang is one of the few moves besides Toxic that badly poisons.

Of course he thawed in 0 turns, but it didn't matter anyway.

Cool.

Now hold on. No way in hell am I leaving this room without...

Yes.

This place is pretty eerie.

Also screw Saturn

And now, it's time to climb Mt. Coronet.

I wonder if they're ever going to explain why Looker doesn't train Pokemon?

Galactic goons abound.

⚠⚠ BANGER ALERT ⚠⚠

That Bronzong screenshot is in there to remind me to remind you that Liv missed her first Jump Kick.

lol m2k

And here it is: the multi battle. This fight can be super obnoxious if you let it get out of hand.

Munchlax is pretty useless against these Bronzor, but I can take them out safely with Dragon Rage.

rude

Stop.

Ew.

If they both decided to attack Frankie, or Skuntank critted, that could be bad...

Yes, keep bullying Munchlax.

Lousy Light Screen kept Skuntank alive.

Yes, good. Murder Purugly.

ok

Ow, rude

He...switched?

Roserade is being useless

And it's over.

What a gamer.

No retcons here; Cyrus still would need 2 red chains to control both Palkia and Dialga, so he just...does. Somehow.

This is happening.

le secret third legendary has arrived

The effects they use for Giratina manifesting in the regular world are really cool. Too bad this guy's got gameplay/story segregation out the ass. Not only is his altered form completely unvoidy, but apparently if you catch him his exile just...ends. And that's fine with everyone?

haha, candy corn

Also Cynthia is here, I guess.

>one whose name is never to be spoken
>speaks his name

Like this dude is so eldritch that energy from his home dimension literally warps normal space with its mere presence...but that only ever happens in this game.

If you couldn't tell, I think the Distortion World is cool as hell, for the same reason I liked Ultra Space.

But now that we're here, there's something I need to do...

Yep.

It's clobberin' time.

See ya next time for destruction.

TheTRUEgge

Ethos is overrated
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It occurs to me, as you run through this game, that I was waaay overleveled for my most recent run of platinum. There’s this lady with a Happiny on the route north of dare care town who I farmed, and... dang. I definitely didn’t need to

Aw, poor Rock On. That double battle is the absolute worst... is there even a good opportunity to use Steelix in later games?

Looker uses a Croagunk in Platinum’s postgame, but iirc XY’s postgame suggests that it does at some point between the two games. Other than that, I don’t think he’s ever shown using a Pokémon

Aww yeah, Garchomp! Go eat a space dragon or something

Electro

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 22, 2019
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fighting
Sure, you could go the wrong way if you really want to, but...why.
Because doing things badly is my motivation in life!

I did this betting on him not having Water Absorb, but really why doesn't he have Water Absorb???
Because most people attack water/ground types with a grass type, not a DUCK.

Rock On is thicc, so she can probably take a hit from Gyarados.
...tail whip? okay, buddy.
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
A tragedy in three acts.

This may look stupid, but at least Pele can for sure take out Raichu.
If it looks stupid, but it works, it's not stupid.

Who gave this guy a bomb??
The same man who gave the rest of team Galactic Pokemon.

Professor Oak.

His dementia is acting up.

wants new dimensionse

Its only fire move is Fire Spin.
Ick.

but I can't get Infernape in while he's using Bubblebeam.
But you can't keep Grey Goose in either! *fingerguns*

everybody's looking forward to the weekend weekend
Everybody's going off the deep end...

Also, blahhhh my Surfer died and I don't have her replacement yet.
WHY IS GRENINJA NOT THE REPLACEMENT?

hm......I can pretty much remove all of the threat from this fight if I stay in Blaze like this. Just one thing...
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

OH GOD.

I say safely, but I actually wasn't sure what Metal Burst's multiplier was, so getting hit by it at 63 HP was a spook.
This entire fight is making my skin crawl.

Also, I don't think it ever came up, but after Rock On died I gave Earthquake to Frankie.
Don't you love it when hard decisions become easy?

Milotic is a very good Pokemon. It's so cheap in ORAS that I really didn't want to have the option to use it there, and abusing champs clause for an encounter is slightly less scummy than abusing dupes clause for it.
Anyway, here's Psyche. I wanted to name her after a Greek lady (because I realized that, much like my FireRed run, most of my Pokemon besides Eevee have been female, and the two that were male account for my 2 crit deaths), but I already used Sappho and Aphrodite is just as creatively bankrupt a name for Milotic as Darwin is for Eevee. So we get Psyche, the obect of the personification of romantic love's romantic love.
I haven't ever gotten to use a Milotic.

This lack is felt ever more keenly as I read this episode.

Candice's trophy is one of 3 Sinnoh trophies I don't have yet, and it's earned by beating her without using any moves that have 100% accuracy.
Y'know, if I ever fight Candice, I think I will just not.

Also noting for posterity that Recover's accuracy is null, not 100. That would be a really stupid way to lose this trophy.
I WILL DEFINITELY JUST NOT.

Looker makes this break-in less stupid, by some miracle.
Does not compute.

I think it's pretty interesting that, despite decrying emotions as the world's fatal flaw, Cyrus uses a Crobat, which only evolves from Golbat through friendship.
Which means it loves him, not that he loves it.

Another thing that's interesting in a different way is that Poison Fang is one of the few moves besides Toxic that badly poisons.
Gotta love near death experiences!

I wonder if they're ever going to explain why Looker doesn't train Pokemon?
Because Looker is meant to draw the heat off the other, competent International Police agents, so he has to look as sketchy as possible.

No retcons here; Cyrus still would need 2 red chains to control both Palkia and Dialga, so he just...does. Somehow.
It doesn't show two chains either. Just the one.

The effects they use for Giratina manifesting in the regular world are really cool. Too bad this guy's got gameplay/story segregation out the ass. Not only is his altered form completely unvoidy, but apparently if you catch him his exile just...ends. And that's fine with everyone?
I thin of that more as Arceus thinks that having Pokemon Satan ordered around by a ten year old is hilarious.

Like this dude is so eldritch that energy from his home dimension literally warps normal space with its mere presence...but that only ever happens in this game.
He had to be confined to platinum. He was not ever meant to escape.

It's clobberin' time.

See ya next time for destruction.
Frankie is gonna wreck Cyrus (and maybe Giratina (and maybe the entire Pokemon League.))

Electro

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 22, 2019
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fighting
Oh, the Unnamed Princess of Dorne is a (dead) background character from game of thrones. The thing is, despite being very important, GRRM didn't give her a name (not even in the index, where she appears), which a bunch of people have chosen to give him shit over. To be fair to them, GRRM named literally every minor Frey in the index, so...

SnackyTheSylph

He's a jolly fellow
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ground
Pokédex Entry
It occurs to me, as you run through this game, that I was waaay overleveled for my most recent run of platinum. There’s this lady with a Happiny on the route north of dare care town who I farmed, and... dang. I definitely didn’t need to

Aw, poor Rock On. That double battle is the absolute worst... is there even a good opportunity to use Steelix in later games?

Looker uses a Croagunk in Platinum’s postgame, but iirc XY’s postgame suggests that it does at some point between the two games. Other than that, I don’t think he’s ever shown using a Pokémon

Aww yeah, Garchomp! Go eat a space dragon or something
Being overleveled is fine. I think.
Onix...um, it appears in XY? Technically. It's a post-Primal encounter in Granite Cave in ORAS. And...it...might appear in 2nova? I forget.

Because doing things badly is my motivation in life!

Because most people attack water/ground types with a grass type, not a DUCK.

A tragedy in three acts.

If it looks stupid, but it works, it's not stupid.

The same man who gave the rest of team Galactic Pokemon.

Professor Oak.

His dementia is acting up.

wants new dimensionse

Ick.

But you can't keep Grey Goose in either! *fingerguns*

Everybody's going off the deep end...

WHY IS GRENINJA NOT THE REPLACEMENT?

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

This entire fight is making my skin crawl.

Don't you love it when hard decisions become easy?

I haven't ever gotten to use a Milotic.

This lack is felt ever more keenly as I read this episode.

Y'know, if I ever fight Candice, I think I will just not.

I WILL DEFINITELY JUST NOT.

Does not compute.

Which means it loves him, not that he loves it.

Gotta love near death experiences!

Because Looker is meant to draw the heat off the other, competent International Police agents, so he has to look as sketchy as possible.

It doesn't show two chains either. Just the one.

I thin of that more as Arceus thinks that having Pokemon Satan ordered around by a ten year old is hilarious.

He had to be confined to platinum. He was not ever meant to escape.

Frankie is gonna wreck Cyrus (and maybe Giratina (and maybe the entire Pokemon League.))
Oh, the Unnamed Princess of Dorne is a (dead) background character from game of thrones. The thing is, despite being very important, GRRM didn't give her a name (not even in the index, where she appears), which a bunch of people have chosen to give him shit over. To be fair to them, GRRM named literally every minor Frey in the index, so...
Lickitung isn't a replacement because Lopunny exists right now. And if I were to add a second Normal type, it would be Porygon. I am really proud of that nickname, though.
If you really feel the itch to, it's a guaranteed encounter in ORAS if you fish in the right place on route 119. Just use repels and stuff.
I like to think of Arceus's alignment as Lawful Asshole.
Frankie can't fight Giratina because she might get punked by its Dragon move. But the rest of Sinnoh is definitely on her plate...

I like the distortion world.

Navigating this place is appropriately weird. There's no challenges or punishments or anything, it's just harder than normal to actually go the right way.

I was going to comment on how Cyrus here confirms that Pokemon have genes, but then a) I remembered Mewtwo, and b) that last line revealed that he's totally talking out of his ass here.

That ledge is...totally 2D. That's jarring.

Wacky.

I don't really know what the point of that puzzle is.

"Fuck off." - Cynthia

Anyway. The last Cyrus fight can be scary sometimes.

But, uh...

Yeah. Not getting Ice Punched.

Nope.

I wonder if Bullet Punch would've OHKO'd?

nah.

You know Heat Wave.

See?

yech.

Good thing Liv Tyler is fast.

aaaaaaaaaa

NOPE.

If you do math, you'll see that switching her into that hit was a really stupid thing to do.

This is not ideal. But Milotic would drag the fight out, give it access to stronger move (Giga Impact), and can't even switch in at her current HP level.

A couple annoying flinches but no crits later, I get impatient.

oop

One thawing hit, but it's not enough.

[gt]>implying I'd pass up an opportunity to Garchomp[/gt]

"maybe if i say enough stupid shit some of it will turn out to be true" - Cyrus

hey.

It's a legal encounter.

Do I care?

>gets boosts

Not enough to let any of my Pokemon die.

I'll give it a chance while it's frozen.

You wasted it.

"Hrrm. That happened." - Freeza

Welp, time to go kill Volkner.

Good thing I didn't forget to do this.

Speaking of forgetting things, I'm gonna clear out the road to Pal Park.

That Sudowoodo shot is just there to remind you that Sudowoodo and Mr. Mime are still in this game for some reason.

The grind for Volkner is usually a stopping point for me because it's kind of obnoxious. However, right now...I don't need to grind for Volkner! Wonderful.

It's kind of surprising that DBZ-esque fightsexuals aren't that common in the Pokemon universe (or the canon one, anyway). People either treat it like a sport or a hobby, generally speaking.

Here we are. Volkner's trophy you get by beating him using only members of his or Flint's teams. I was planning to blow him out with Steelix (which Flint uses in DP), but, y'know. So I'll just do it with Infernape. (Flint also uses a Lopunny in DP, but I didn't remember that until after the fight).

Just Infernape.

I wish I wouldn't have had to overlevel to get Calm Mind.

Yuck. Healing that off ASAP.

Luckily his TM being Charge Beam means their hits are mostly pretty weak, but if Pele's HP gets too low then Luxray or Electivire could pick her off.

That was kind of rude.

Lookin' clean...

ouch.

Not too bad. Also, that's just barely out of Blaze, which...didn't matter. But it's a fact.

Time to go.

Now that HGSS are out, Jasmine doesn't need to be the focus of this scene anymore, so Barry is here. ...you know, I'm saying all this stuff about how the Johtoshadowing paid off already, but I don't actually know if HGSS came out before Platinum...?

also, Jasmine ships it

ew.

There is something kind of satisfying about having all of the HMs...also, Defog is still a Water-type TM sprite.

Well, here we are.

What a team.

Relatively uneventful so far.

AAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I'm okay.

ew.

also, this was totally my encounter, but I forgot to catch it

wew

Actually...hmm...

With Technician, that's a comparable base power to Return...

bye, Wing Attack

FUCK.

that was probably Power Whip. I am a good trainer.

ewe

I shouldn't.

VIVE LA DUMBASSERY

it went fine

ty

And we're out!

I did heal, I just didn't refresh the Poketch screen. I'll give Barry the honor of fighting me before I train.

bitch

That's what you get

Why are you running!?

oop

Snorlax........

is what you get

Ow.

Hm. Scizor can't really hit this thing.

ok, buddy

This did not turn out well.

I'm loath to look up his moveset, but I don't want to switch Frankie back in for fear of him having an Ice move. Liwin should be able to take these Special hits while I formulate a plan.

good...

I

I'm loath to look up his moveset,

fucker

Augh.

2 crit deaths, 3 dumbassery deaths.

Well. Tune in next time for prep and execution.

v also check out the new banner I made, it's sick v

TheTRUEgge

Ethos is overrated
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Nice work beating up Cyrus! He always reminds me of Blue, because you fight him just prior to a long dungeon and after that his team spikes in levels and has good coverage. Thankfully, you pulled it off well!

Gotta love the Flint/Volkner dynamic. Also gotta love not grinding for Volkner.

Oh no, poor Liwin... of course the Empoleon randomly had shadow claw. Why not

Electro

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 22, 2019
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fighting
Navigating this place is appropriately weird. There's no challenges or punishments or anything, it's just harder than normal to actually go the right way.
So, uh,
Nuzlocke land?

"Fuck off." - Cynthia
"Fuck off and fight this preteen." - Cynthia

If you do math, you'll see that switching her into that hit was a really stupid thing to do.
>Do math

"maybe if i say enough stupid shit some of it will turn out to be true" - Cyrus
This is my new motto. Change my mind.

It's kind of surprising that DBZ-esque fightsexuals aren't that common in the Pokemon universe (or the canon one, anyway). People either treat it like a sport or a hobby, generally speaking.
DBZ-esque
WHAT

also, Jasmine ships it
so very much

VIVE LA DUMBASSERY
I have changed my mind.

I did heal, I just didn't refresh the Poketch screen. I'll give Barry the honor of fighting me before I train.
Just wreck him with level 60+ monsters.

I'm loath to look up his moveset, but I don't want to switch Frankie back in for fear of him having an Ice move. Liwin should be able to take these Special hits while I formulate a plan.
A word to the wise: If it sounds like a battle strategy I might use, there is too much luck required. (I have nothing but luck. Plans? no. Items? no. Basic understanding of what level my enemy is at? no. Seriously. At one point, I beat a level 20 Grotle with a level 6 Phantump.)

SnackyTheSylph

He's a jolly fellow
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ground
Pokédex Entry
Nice work beating up Cyrus! He always reminds me of Blue, because you fight him just prior to a long dungeon and after that his team spikes in levels and has good coverage. Thankfully, you pulled it off well!

Gotta love the Flint/Volkner dynamic. Also gotta love not grinding for Volkner.

Oh no, poor Liwin... of course the Empoleon randomly had shadow claw. Why not
That's just the game spiting me for thinking shadow claw is a stupid move.

So, uh,
Nuzlocke land?

"Fuck off and fight this preteen." - Cynthia

>Do math

This is my new motto. Change my mind.

DBZ-esque
WHAT

so very much

I have changed my mind.

Just wreck him with level 60+ monsters.

A word to the wise: If it sounds like a battle strategy I might use, there is too much luck required. (I have nothing but luck. Plans? no. Items? no. Basic understanding of what level my enemy is at? no. Seriously. At one point, I beat a level 20 Grotle with a level 6 Phantump.)
Uh, the DBZ thing isn't quite as bad as it sounds. But a lot of Dragon Ball Z characters seem to enjoy fighting strong people way too much. Like, letting-a-space-genocidal-maniac-charge-up-to-full-power-instead-of-just-killing-him-because-having-an-easy-fight-is-boring too much.
I really should've done that.

This is what freedom looks like

Also, if you didn't notice, I'm training up Snorunt. I'll address why in a second. First, to level everyone up to 57. Which...wasn't actually that hard.

First up is Pele, of course. I wanted to utilize Calm Mind, but Infernape is kind of strapped for Special options, so I just gave her Focus Blast and called it a day.

I'm a little bit surprised that Liv Tyler made it all this way and a bit more than disappointed that Furret never did the same. Regardless...she's here to hit decently hard and take hits decently well. She's also the backup backup Ice user, though I'm not sure if she's actually faster than Garchomp. Thunderbolt...just 'cause.

Hooray for Garchomp. There's not really anything to say.

r e m o v e l u c i a n

Bertha will get deleted. She's also my main plan for Garchomp, I guess.

And our newest member, Coney the Glalie. I added Glalie because a) the problematic element of adding something just before the elite four (which is "I miss my chance to use it for an entire game") barely even applies to Glalie because it doesn't evolve until level 42 (AKA post-Ula'Ula in Alola and very deep into SS), b) It'll be good to have duped out since it's kind of terrible anyway, and c) It's a backup option if I need to sac someone to take out Garchomp. Also, Sheer Cold.

And now, let's get moving.

damn, dude, i sure did

First up is bug man, and if you look at my Poketch you can probably guess what my strategy is.

All the elite four have 5 Pokemon, and the champion has 6.

So yeah, I'm gonna set up a couple Calm Minds and then sweep with Infernape.

...er, one Calm Mind.

ehhhhh....that's not quite a 2HKO.

God Bless.

ehhhhhhhhhhhh......I am in Blaze, but...if this thing lives the hit then Pele is straight-up dead, no questions.

Bless - oh, thanks, Focus Blast.

I always imagine Focus Blast working like PK Flash does in this cutscene from Brawl (except, presumably, the opponent doesn't violently explode like that...)

Anyway, Focus Blast killed, so I'm free to clean up. Vespiquen didn't even get a screenshot to her name.

Bertha's next. Very weak to Water, she is.

...rude

meh.

ow, Gliscor is fast.

not a chance.

thank you Milotic.

Dragon resists Fire.

That's really all there is to say on the matter.

Only Infernape was even fast enough to get in a hit.

So, Lucian. I have decided to not have any problems with this guy.

Scizor resists Psychic, has SE STAB, and won't be weak to any of their coverage moves since Mystical Fire doesn't exist yet.

That's a little annoying, though.

And that was an accident. Now I have to set up again.

I could go for Sheer Colds, but I don't want to get Gyro Ball'd.

...You can see why.

I should be all set to sweep now.

Them being faster than me is annoying, but Alakazam's kind of the only one who could capitalize on it.

And Espeon gets no coverage so I'm not even afraid of that. I'll heal for Gallade, though.

critical hit.

one more fight...one more fight...

roarrrrrrrr

You killing my Scizor was a fluke, however.

true. I'm not too worried about her. Her team is slightly better in Platinum, but so is mine, and her levels are slightly lower too.

The last battle of gen 4...

It's time for Glalie to do literally anything.

nope

nope

Yes.

nope

Nice one. Why didn't you use a Fighting move?

Easy.

uwah

Hrrrmg.

I'm going to healspam for a bit to get a bead on what damage variance does to that.

She's alternating between her two 100 power STAB moves. Looks like a low roll leaves me slightly above 105 and a high roll gets me to around 90. So from this HP range, I should be able to live a middling role and strike back...

Perfect.

Double-perfect.

Triple-perfect! God bless you, Psyche.

nah.

I got baited.

Wait, I'm in Blaze!

Hooh. As epic as it would be to OHKO her with a Blaze Flamethrower and survive with 1 HP, Milotic is not a thing I can do that against.

I want Psyche back online in case I need her again.

I skipped a couple turns in between there, but TL;DR Liv did it.

lol fairy types

poggers

hell yes.

It's done.

What a beautiful crew.

See 'em around, I guess.

It's a little surprising how little these shots were butchered by the lack of a screen gap...

And that's generation four. Up next is gen 5, which is...Unova 4 times. This isn't as momentous a jump as the end of gen 3, because gen 5 is a continuation of gen 4 more than any other generation. But I'll go more into that, I guess, next time. See ya then.

TheTRUEgge

Ethos is overrated
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Hey, look on the bright side: your crit death vs stupidity deaths for this run are now half and half (unless I’m misremembering)

Havefun playing unova x4! Use Volcarona it’s good

Electro

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 22, 2019
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fighting
This is what freedom looks like
I don't see America...

ehhhhh....that's not quite a 2HKO.
Did the number of critical hits last game just desensitize you to death?

Bertha's next. Very weak to Water, she is.
Like Yoda, it is said, so true, it must be.

Only Infernape was even fast enough to get in a hit.
s p e e d

So, Lucian. I have decided to not have any problems with this guy.
Bold.

critical hit.
And sadly, Incorrect. Pinch. :(

I'm going to healspam for a bit to get a bead on what damage variance does to that.
Healspamming: when nothing else works.

Triple-perfect! God bless you, Psyche.
Honestly? That would have been so awesome to see.

And that's generation four. Up next is gen 5, which is...Unova 4 times. This isn't as momentous a jump as the end of gen 3, because gen 5 is a continuation of gen 4 more than any other generation. But I'll go more into that, I guess, next time. See ya then.
I'll be watching!
And waiting.
To say things.
Whether they make me sound weird.
Or, occasionally, like a serial killer.

SnackyTheSylph

He's a jolly fellow
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ground
Pokédex Entry
EDIT: D'oh, I forgot the new champs thing.

There ya go.

Hey, look on the bright side: your crit death vs stupidity deaths for this run are now half and half (unless I’m misremembering)

Havefun playing unova x4! Use Volcarona it’s good
Sounds about right.
I'll...try. I don't think I'm enough of a memelord to use Larvesta, but we'll see how things go in this generation.

I don't see America...

Did the number of critical hits last game just desensitize you to death?

Like Yoda, it is said, so true, it must be.

s p e e d

Bold.

And sadly, Incorrect. Pinch. :(

Healspamming: when nothing else works.

Honestly? That would have been so awesome to see.

I'll be watching!
And waiting.
To say things.
Whether they make me sound weird.
Or, occasionally, like a serial killer.
sometimes, it be like that

P L O T

Er, sorry, I mean welcome to the fifth generation of Pokemon! Starting here with Black version. I'll sort of be talking over this intro (as much as you can when it's not actually a video) because there's a few things to address about these 4 games.

(say hi to the first Pokemon professor in the games who isn't a middle aged to old man) So, the biggest thing to address is the Pokedex. Black and White (one, which I'll just be referring to as Black and White or BW from now on) feature 0 previously existant Pokemon in the main games, having only the new 150-odd Pokemon. This means that this run of Black is basically just a normal Nuzlocke, since no Pokemon that I could find could be a champ by now.

(apparently this Mincinno can be shiny) Also, it's the first set of four games in a row that use the same set of 3 starters. This means that, if none of my starters die, then I won't have a starter Pokemon that I can use in White 2.

As I mentioned last time, this generation is the most continuous from the last one. There's not a new stat like from 1 to 2, no new structures or mechanics like 2 to 3, no move split like 3 to 4, and no new battle gimmicks like 6, 7, or 8. It's just generation 4 2. The biggest difference I can say is that TMs are reusable now, and since they can't be transferred up from gen 4, the TM list is a little different now too.

(I still think it's kind of funny that Juniper introduces you to your best friends) These are the first games that I personally owned - in fact, I preordered White (my brother got Black). I played Sapphire, LeafGreen, and Platinum before this, though. So yeah.

Oh, I forgot about seasons. They're not...super important - oh fuck, never mind. I was going to say they really only affect a couple items and encounter tables depending on whether or not it's Winter. But then I realized that winter starts tomorrow, which means I won't be able to get encounters in Icirrus, route 8, or the moor if this run doesn't take me an entire month. ...Hm. Let's shelve that worry for now.

This game is the first in the series that actually put effort into...having a story, with characters and stuff. This little cinematic when you start the game is evidence of that, as you usually just spawn in your room when the intro speech is over.

The fact that there's a good bit more talking in this game than previous ones means I need to be careful about what I cap, or risk bloating this run with a bunch of talking for no reason.

If I were playing this on console I'd complain about gen 5's removal of the L=A feature (since that allows you to play the game one-handed after you get the bike), but I don't use the L button on emulator anyway.

So, the starters.

Snivy and its evolutions are decently bulky and pretty fast, with Coil to patch up its offensive shortcomings. It pretty much has one or two tricks, but those tricks are pretty good.

Tepig is an all-arounder with shortcomings in speed and defenses. It's useful for the early gyms, but its level-up moveset isn't great.

Oshawott is sort of an oddball. It's got decent stats all around, good attack, and gooder special attack (though by all rights its physical attack should be higher). Water is kind of a rare type in Unova, too, so it's good to have.

Oshawott was my starter of choice in my first playthrough, so I'll take it again.

As I mentioned before, throughout all of generation 5 I'll have to deal with rival battles which give me no control over whether or not I win.

No potions, no nothing. Just have to tackle each other and hope we win.

Also, Tackle got buffed in this game.

What a champ.

BW are even worse for this rival problem because there's not one, but TWO random rival battles. The starters' base Exp. is very carefully measured such that Bianca's battle won't make you level up.

He could've beaten me if he wanted to, but he didn't. Also, 9 attack at level 6? really?

Wahoo.
The Poketch is gone, but now you can see your team on the save screen, which is fun.

Also, this flock of Woobats is a flock of Pidove if you do this during the day.