• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

How do you start an egglocke?

Thread Description
Just need help with the particulars

RikuKitsune

Juggler (of 21 Pokemon Playthroughs and 'lockes)
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 31, 2020
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is impulsive and takes on too many tasks at once.
I get the basic concept of an eggLocke, but I’m not sure how you start one when not using an emulator.

Do you catch and trade as you go, or catch a bunch of early game mon and load up on eggs at the very beginning? Do nuzlocke rules still apply to the “throwaways” I’d use to trade? Do I even catch pkmn at all?

Help would be appreciated!

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
A Pokémon shrouded in hearsay and urban legend, spoken of only in whispered tales and hushed gossip.
Normally what happens is you get a bunch of people to make eggs and trade them, unhatched, to you. When you make a catch, you hatch an egg and use that instead. Works best if you can self-trade or use Bank/Home so you can do mass catching and egg trading on one cart/save and then trade/transfer eggs as needed. Saves everyone a lot of time and saves your Nuzlocke file a few extra thousand on balls you'd normally not buy.

You could only ask for eggs as you make catches, but that's slower and more headache for everyone.

RikuKitsune

Juggler (of 21 Pokemon Playthroughs and 'lockes)
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 31, 2020
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is impulsive and takes on too many tasks at once.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Normally what happens is you get a bunch of people to make eggs and trade them, unhatched, to you.
Ok, so assuming I need to get the eggs from other people, do I just like, go out into the beginning areas, catch a ton of com mons to trade, or is there a way to trade without giving the other trainer something I'm not aware of?

TheTRUEgge

Ethos is okay, actually
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon has too many ideas for their own good.
I’ve done a few 3DS egglockes before, but for each of them I had a second system I was able to work with. I would grab a bunch of dummy Pokémon on my shiny hunting cart (usually breeding leftovers) and use those to trade for eggs. Then, whenever I made a catch on the cart I was Nuzlocking with, I traded an egg from my other cart onto my Nuzlocking one. It saves you a lot of headaches but it’s only a possibility if you have two systems, which isn’t super ideal.

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
A Pokémon shrouded in hearsay and urban legend, spoken of only in whispered tales and hushed gossip.
@RikuKitsune You can do it that way and is probably your best bet if you're only working with the Nuzlocke file. However, if you have ability to transfer stuff around, either by yourself or with help, including at least a few mons that have some value, like breejects*, max raid catches, or mons holding rare items for a couple of Gen VIII examples, is probably better so the person/people making the eggs for you gets at least something worthwhile for their troubles.

*Bred Pokemon with one or more perfect IVs, hidden abilities, egg moves, or females in rare balls. Doesn't need to have all of those and definitely doesn't need to be something that can be immediately trained up for competitive use. You don't have to give them anything of value at all, but it's nice to get something beyond 30 Bidoofs to release in exchange for the eggs they make.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)