• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

How did you get into Nuzlocking?

Thread Description
We're all here for a reason...what's yours?

SnackyTheSylph

He's a jolly fellow
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ground
Pokédex Entry
I SWALLOW SLUDGE TO TRANSFORM MYSELF
I think my original introduction to the concept was that JWittz video someone posted earlier, from back when he was good (this is a joke). That set me on to reading the original run, which had at that point got up to Ruby catching Victini.

From there I utilized my doodling potential and my copy of Sapphire to produce a really terrible comic that was basically a retread of everything Nuzlocke did in his run of Ruby. I played Nuzlocke runs on my carts for a while, but I never really produced anything. After a while I started watching ShadyPenguinn's old randomized "Shadylockes" and Marilland's Wedlockes.

Eventually, I discovered these forums back on zetaboards. I read Petty's runs of L/HG, then Oh Gosh in Platinum, then Pi & Pea, No Heal Platinum, Yonkoma Nuzlocke, and a whole bunch of other miscellaneous runs. I even joined the forums myself and did a couple mono-Poison written logs and a feeble attempt at a storylocke (pro tip: don't give every character their own unique text color, especially when you write on an iPad). I dropped off in forum usage and in content creation slightly before the conversion of the National Park, and I didn't come back until about a week ago when I saw that we'd left Tapatalk. Now here I am - actually, finally doing a screenshot run.

sunburstblue

blue stars burn brighter
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Water
Pokédex Entry
Well, her Pokédex No. is #274, which is Nuzleaf. Could anything be more hilariously fitting for this forum?
I got into nuzlocking in 2012 but I couldn't remember how until a couple months ago. What happened was that I was really active on Fanfiction.net in the Pokemon fandom during that time. One day I came across a story called "Nuzlocke: Blood and Bond" by mangaluva and the story was so good that I went and did some digging around and found the original comic. Through that I found the big name nuzlockes like Petty, Notepad, Kynim, etc.

Now I can't play Pokemon without nuzlocking it. I've always wanted to make a comic, and I knew about the original Nuzlocke Forums, but I never did anything besides lurk for years.

BlakeGo Plays Pokemon

Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 29, 2019
What a great question. I got in to Nuzlocking by watching Youtubers especially Shady Penguin and now I have started my own channel do it's all coming full circle. I also have a close friend that enjoys the same Youtubers so we are able to bond over that as well.

Drunken Gazelle

Lord Procrastinator
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
Electric, Ground
Pokédex Entry
His default setting is sarcasm. It is not (always) intentional.
I was in highschool at the time, either year 9 or 10 (so back in 2008-09). A mate of mine was really into webcomics at the time and was constantly searching for new ones. At some point he must have stumbled across Nuzlocke cause he brought it to my attention cause I was/ still am a huge pokénerd. It must have been pretty early on because as far as I can remember the updates were only slightly passed when his Nuzleaf died.

So we decided that it seemed like fun and started runs in ruby and sapphire. couldn't tell you how far we got before we stopped, and started again (We did this a lot). Every couple of months we'd pick up new one, primarily in ruby/sapphire and leaf green/fire red because my friend didn't have a DS and DS emulators were trash back then.

Come 2012 I apparently (I'll get back to that) joined the forums. I'm guessing it's when the original started to slow with its updates and he was doing the features of fan runs. Seeing the fan runs reignited the nuzlocke flame and my friend and I actually documented a run and for the first time, finished one in ruby and sapphire were we both made it to, and got wiped by Stephen. Now neither of us had any talent in drawing so we were going to get another friend of ours to draw it onto a comic for us, but plans fell through and nothing came of it.

I'd still play my own occasionally and check out the original every so often for updates as the years went on, but it wasn't until last year in March where I went on a binge and read through a whole bunch of fan runs, and decided I'd make an account to stay up to date with some runs I'd bookmarked and so that I could leave some comments. That's when I found I'd already made an account and promptly forgotten I had!

That's when I started exploring the forums in earnest, jumping into some games in the festival plaza and just exploring. Actually interacting with people got me wanting to try making a comic again so I got my original mate to join me and we're in the process of doing a tandem run in the ruby and sapphire originals again, and an artist friend of ours is drawing it for us. So hopefully we'll be starting to post our first official run soon!

redninjapuffle

The Nuzlocke Kid with stories
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 24, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Redninjapuffles are known to want to create their own nuzlocke stories or comics, however, many have yet to start one.
I have heard about nuzlockes before but I never really did one until earlier this year. I watched Jwittz's video about nuzlockes which is where I discovered the comics that started it all. I also read Manic's nuzlockes which really gave my inspiration to do nuzlockes, also Manic has AMAZING storytelling and you should check him out if you haven't, especially his manic saga. Anyway, I decided to do Pokemon X since that is one of the easiest pokemon games so I thought it will be great to start my nuzlocking career. My brother did a nuzlocke of pokemon Y and when I said I wanna do a nuzlocke of pokemon X he said to turn on set mode to make things harder. And that is where my nuzlocking began. It is hard for me to NOT do a nuzlocke of a pokemon game ever since I started, it has made me realize how EASY pokemon games are. I currently have 3 completed nuzlockes under my belt, with 3 more still ongoing, pokemon white, pokemon ultra moon, and Loomian legacy veils of shadows, I know the latter is not a pokemon game but it is really close to one so it counts.

Kinetic Kimo

Trainer MIA
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 21, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her. Old-school girl words.
Pokémon Type
Water, Psychic
I was first introduced to nuzlocking when I stumbled upon Petty's run, and I was so charmed and intrigued that I naturally looked for more. And here I am!

@redninjapuffle I also read and adored Manic's runs. I'd say Petty drew me in but Manic really compelled me to stay.

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
I guess it was late 2011-early 2012 when I first saw the term Nuzlocke in a story I was reading. After seeing it pop up in a few other stories, I got curious as to what it was, so I Googled it and found several Youtube runs (unfortunately, I don't remember who did them...) and eventually Nuz's comic and some of the others that were really big at the time.
I got really into them, so I decided to try it out myself. Had a lot of fun, and after finishing two or three, I eventually found the forums. I lurked for...probably six months or so before I finally joined at the beginning of 2013.
Six and a half years later, I had to leave for a while because I was in a bad mental place (long story). But after a few months, things got better and I realized how much I missed the place, so I came back.

Arondon

Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 15, 2020
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
All but most to least prevalent types:Male,Gender-neutral,Female
Pokémon Type
Fighting, Psychic

raikaria

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
I know I was a very early adopter, probably back in 2011 if I'm recalling right.

I also think I mostly stumbled upon it. I was just looking for pokemon challenges to spice things up.

Dschubba

Has forgotten she's a diurnal creature.
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 13, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Female
Pokémon Type
Bug, Normal
I vaguely remember being introduced to Nuzlockes through comics. I was in a whole lot of pokémon-related groups on Deviantart at the time, so I more or less stumbled over Kynim's and Cocoaferret's runs, the latter of which ended up being discontinued.

Took me years to get around to actually scripting something of my own, but that's all due to me being very...very indecisive.

Rocco

Showroom Dummy
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 15, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Scared at first, but the apyr of the group after some drinks.
There's a spanish youtuber called Dayoscript who isn't exactly a poketuber but video game analyser. He had opinion videos and one of them was called: Nuzlocke or the importance of the defeat. Since then, I looked for comics, and found Hale: Emerald Hard Mode, Kitfox and others. I made previous accounts, earlier than this one, and I got fond of some users. Then I leave it with shame, then I came back, then I leave it again, and now I'm here, again. With a third new account. The shame was related to not really being a 'good', valuable user of this community. So, that's it. Since I knew the challenge, I couldn't simply play Pokemon. I had to do it in Nuzlocke cause if I didn't, it would had been an infantile task. And I don't want that. Nuzlocke, for me, is about defeat. Frustration. Grinding. Deaths. Surprising victories. High body counts. And endings. And also a sense of community. That's how I got here.

Sirwallaby

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
I just stumbled onto the thing that introduced me to nuzlockes purely by accident.

Somebody on a pet game I played in 2013 was talking about their own nuzlocke, and I had never heard of it before so I asked what I was. When I found out what it was I just said "I would die."
Somehow I got it in my head to try it out though despite that.

I would have thought it was a comic that introduced me but instead it was a post on a pet site with probably only 200 words at best. I guess I now understand why I couldn't remember which comic introduced me given that it wasn't one. I wouldn't call that a memorable introduction...

Perpetually Underleveled

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 6, 2020
I was on a Pokemon related website (can't remember which one) where someone had a post explaining the Nuzlocke challenge, but listed a bunch of other rules with it like set mode, a limit on Pokemon center heals and no buying Poke Balls, which I thought were part of the original ruleset. So I tried to do a nuzocke following those rules on FireRed and got destroyed by the second gym. I later came back to Nuzlocking and found the comic, the forums, etc., this time knowing that I could personalize the rules (though I never stopped making them difficult, I don't think I've ever done just a basic nuzlocke).

Neotornado

Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
I need to buy a pro account? (He/Him)
Pokémon Type
Electric, Grass
Pokédex Entry
Broke his own romhack with an egg. Still not sure how.
My memories of getting into nuzlockes are a bit hazy, but I do firmly remember getting into them in June of 2012.
As for how, I'm not 100% sure. I was frequenting a DeviantArt OCT community called Battle Frontier Ohana Islands (BFOI) at around that point (which ended in 2016 due to a combo of finishing up its plot threads and Pokemon Sun/Moon also being set on a Hawaii equivalent) and I recall doing a lot of mono-type challenges of various pokemon games at the time. I recall mentioning this in the chat for other kinds of challenges and the idea of both Nuzlockes and Touhoumon got brought up. Deciding to do both at once, I set out on my own nuzlocke of Touhoumon AE, which, to put it bluntly, was very awkward (including a revival clause at one point) due to my lack of full knowledge of both nuzlockes and touhou as a whole. TvTropes helped out a bit with the latter, but it could only take me so much. I also remember being inspired by Leo's touhoumon nuzlocke comic that sadly got taken down by its creator in 2015, which helped me get a general "feel" for some of the characters. Still, it was a great experience and after doing a nuzlocke of a vanilla pokemon game later that year (Pokemon Black 2), I was hooked.
As for my modern nuzlocke rules (No healing items in-battle, one/two free dupes per route, no pokemon with a BST of over 560 on the team, and switching mode forced on set), I recall that specific ruleset being based on a conversation I had in the old touhoumon shoddy chat in either late 2012 or early 2013, which someone snarked that I could easily just spam healing items and out-stall anything I wanted (which still rings true, especially in games that give you easier ways to grind healing items like FR/LG, D/P/Pt, X/Y, and Swish) so I decided to kind of work on a "standard" nuzlocke ruleset throughout the first half of 2013 (mainly with touhoumon purple, which is where the BST and dupe rules came from), which was more-or-less finalized by a run of pokemon X.

Kind of an odd two-pronged start into the nuzlocke ways, and I'm a bit hazy on the first part, but I definitely wouldn't have gotten into nuzlockes if it weren't for touhoumon.

Tsugumi Hazawa

Ordinary but Hardworking
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Haneoka High School (IRL: Makassar, Indonesia)
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
Character: She/Her, IRL: He/Him
Pokémon Type
Normal
I first started playing a Black Nuzlocke back before I first even know about the nuzlocke forums itself. Well, we still need to learn to control ourselves anyways so I'm going to try to update only if I can. I haven't recorded any Nuzlocke prior to my first, abandoned attempt at HeartGold.

kaiyurin

curse you colress
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 26, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, ???
Pokédex Entry
back by unpopular demand
I first discovered nuzlocking at least like, 7 years ago with Marriland's HeartGold run. I started my own in the same game, and wrote a story as I played. Needlessly to say I stopped by like, Cherrygrove City. I remember constantly breaking the rules like saying "oh this was my first encounter but I killed it, so I get to catch it" or "what do you mean it died, no it didn't.". That was fun.

SpatiallyRendering

I have at least 4 playthroughs going at once
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 9, 2020
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
He/Him or They/Them
Pokémon Type
Normal, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Trying to find my way back into writing for fun, I just have to navigate the pitfalls of life to keep up.
Similarly, Marriland's HeartGold Wedlocke got me into it; I watched his X Walkthrough for guidance, and eventually stumbled upon his HG Wedlocke and eventually gave in and watched it. It took a while longer for me to start my own first Nuzlocke, which was an Emerald Nuzlocke on a faux copy, so I couldn't transfer or anything, but it worked fine. I actually followed the rules better in my first run than I did in runs after that, but I gave up when I lost my favorite Pokémon in the run (my Pelipper named Turnip, for the record).

oliviamakesanart

yee to the haw
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 19, 2020
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Obsessed with cowboy hats
I actually discovered Nuzlockes through the original comic, which I believe a friend who was also into Pokemon linked me to in 2012 or so. From there I discovered other popular nuzlocke comic artists such as Petty and Kynim on dA. I've been playing nuzlockes of almost every single main series pokemon game since!

khorale

Ruler of the Pillow Fort
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 22, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
She enjoys showing off her artwork to others, and constantly discovers new techniques to experiment with
I forgot if I watched JWittz's video first or read one of the famous comics out there. Around that time I caught up to Pokemon Adventures and was looking for other pokemon comics out there by googling 'pokemon comics'.

Earliest ones I can remember is probably Ky-nim, SilverVandis, Nuzlocke, Notepad, and another one on DA that I can't find anymore since their account has been deleted (she was one of my favorites too) with the trainer named Ara.

I tried to do my own comic run for my X Wonderlocke but back then I was both drawing and coloring traditionally. And it sucks when cntrl+z and fill bucket tool doesn't exist in life. Plus, my run had interesting pokemons but I keep getting dissatisfied with what I planned for the plot, changing it, then rinse and repeat. Plus trades made everyone level up faster, and I dont remember anyone actually dying in the run (I should check) so there was a lack of stakes too. I left for a few years then BAM, I came back and the forum turns into Tapatalk. It took me another long while before I visited again and then found this forum, and I decided to not commit myself to a plot heavy run and just do a written log instead... thus Dumbass adventures was born. Now I'm getting the urge to draw comics again so HMMMMM.....

Riboo

Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 24, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
Electric
I started mostly as a fan of Nuzlockes early on when people were still making very condensed styled comics of their runs that were heavily humor and meme based and pretty dismissive of any deaths that did happen. I remember many of them were just very simply drawn and dumped into archives in various places and thought while the challenge was really cool, the art aspect of it was what I found the most interesting.

Petty, Kynim, Shoelesscosmonaut, Protocol00, were part of what started to influence me to do my own comic run, something I had wanted to do for a long time but never quite got up off the ground as I've two runs I've attempted to turn into comics, one being a Fire Red run and the other being a Soul Silver run, both focusing on adult characters, one, being Clive Ackerman, who was a investigative journalist working for Arcanine daily (fire red)

He also was part of the Pokemon Adventure Challenge (PAC) where a lot of people made ask blogs for their trainers, something which was really fun and creative (And I also miss quite a bit, I really enjoyed answering asks with drawings.)

The other character was a former Ranger who'd lost his partner Pokemon and traveled to Johto for a new job working as Elm's assistant (Soul Silver)

And those were just the two I started doing comics for. Both failed, but mostly out of the fact that one had a very loose game script and character concept and the other I lost steam for, in spite of the ease Clive could end up in sticky situations XD

Then there was Ryuichi who I had start a Hoenn remake run

He's a former lightweight kick boxer that's also was an aura user, something that played into his background before and was supposed to be a theme that I wanted to explore within the work. He also served as Clive's news journalist rival. All I have are some notes pertaining to the battles and what all happened before they abruptly cut off, his run script still remains incomplete.

And these are the main runs I could think of off the top of my head, I did attempt to do something with XY for Clive and some other stuff, but it never panned out. It wasn't until SUMO came out that I fell in love with the characters and thought it was time to try again and at this point, there were more serious runs out there that focused more on narrative from the get go, so they certainly serviced as more inspiration, it was the fact that I actually completed a pretty thought out script that I felt myself actually commit to my own current run.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)