• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

How did you get into Nuzlocking?

Thread Description
We're all here for a reason...what's yours?

Suffer Little Children

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Steel
My cousin introduced me to the rules and Hard Mode around 2013, and I just got hooked. I read the original comic until I ran out of pages, I hopped on the forums and started reading all the popular titles, then I ended up finishing all of those and had to start looking for more obscure projects, and eventually I started trying my hand at my own runs. I even had an abandoned Other Adventure back on the old site!

Now I'm almost out of my teenage years, and I haven't done a vanilla Pokemon run since X dropped. Help me.

Fullmental

*Fódlan Winds intensifies*
Administrator
Tech Team
🎇Contributor
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Rock, Clever
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon can sometimes be found meticulously editing and re-editing it's own content, never satisfied with the results.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My cousin introduced me to the rules and Hard Mode around 2013, and I just got hooked. I read the original comic until I ran out of pages, I hopped on the forums and started reading all the popular titles, then I ended up finishing all of those and had to start looking for more obscure projects, and eventually I started trying my hand at my own runs. I even had an abandoned Other Adventure back on the old site!

Now I'm almost out of my teenage years, and I haven't done a vanilla Pokemon run since X dropped. Help me.
How could we help you? Sounds like you're doing great already!

Ymir

Snorlax is my mood
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pokémon Type
Bug, Psychic, Steel
I got introduced to the concept of Nuzlocke almost simultaneously with Pokemon. I'd been drawn in to the franchise through the Special manga series and soon enough found some challenges through YouTube to enhance gaming experience. That led me to discovering Kynim's comics and soon enough, every other comic in Nuzlocke's own page in 2015. I've been planning to join ever since, and well, here I am!

starmouse

All in service of some implacable "just cause".
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Water, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon is said to be scared of its own shadow. It can often be found sitting in the rain.
This is one of those questions that I always wish I could answer clearly, but I truly don't remember. I don't even remember making a forum account.

I joined in 2010, so based on my browsing habits from around then, it's not impossible that I got there from /vp/ (maybe /tr/ at the time?). I think that'll have to be my best guess.

edit: Oh -- Smogon forums is also a definite possibility; I was playing a lot of competitive around that time.

Azrez

h
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pokémon Type
???
I was watching Marriland since after he purged his channel and moved to his (old) website. When his youtube came back, I started watching his nuzlockes with his normal stuff. Found the forums when they were still on zetaboards (I don't remember exactly when) and lurked for a bit and forgot about it. I just came back recently.

Neowth

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
I don't really care tbh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
A dork from the North
Ah, this takes me back!

I think I was 14 at the time (9 years, i'm so old sob) and I only knew pokemon from card games that got banned in every school known to man and the funny cartoon from saturday mornings.
My parents did not allow us have any hand consoles back in the day.... But my cousin had one! A gameboy advanced with gen 1 remakes, Ruby, Emerald and mystery dungeon. I'd played these games for about 10 minutes YEARS before but fallen hopelessly in love with the franchise.

Now, I do not know how, but at some point in my teen years I found out that people are making pokemon fan comics on this odd site called Deviantart. And since I could not play games myself, and cause I'm stupid and didn't know ppl posted let's plays on YT about other games than amnesia, why not read these comics!
I didn't even know back then that nuzlockes were even a thing!
I think I just searched 'pokemon pearl comic' or something and WHAT IS THIS! There's comics about the other games as well?? And there are TONS OF THEM! And what is this weird word nuzlocke that just keeps popping up??

I was fascinated and kept reading, found even some classics like Petty's LG run, LandWalker and Kynim's Diamond. But I think the very favourites I had were canceled or I just lost them within DA.

Anyway, a year later and like destiny my cousin just sold us his GBA and all the games! I finally got to play pokemon! First Ruby then Leaf Green and then, then I decided I'll play my own nuzlocke run and make a comic out of it! And my Emerald nuzlocke, the Burning Sky was born.
And still ongoing, not even beaten the second gym GODDDAMIT.

Last edited:

Emperor ServingSpoon

The original AND the 16th!
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pokémon Type
Grass, Ground
Pokédex Entry
Adept at procrastination. If he ever seems productive, it's likely because he's ignoring something far more important.
I really don't remember where I first heard about Nuzlockes... I've been a fan of Pokemon since the first generation, so I probably should have somehow heard about it sooner than I did, if anything... But I think the first I looked into them was around the end of 2012/start of 2013. I ended up on the forums and I recall reading Nate's iPhoto Run (because it won some award in the extravaganza, I believe) and loving it! I'm not sure whether I read Nuzlocke's Run at that same time or not, but I know I'd read it by the time I actually got around to doing my own first run.

It was late 2013, and Pokemon X and Y were nearing release... But I decided I'd start my own Nuzlocke run of Pokemon Diamond (the most recent game that I had a spare copy to play [I don't like to delete my first save of a game, so to replay I basically need another copy of the game, or the opposite from the pair]). I was still in the middle of a semester at college, so that probably wasn't the best idea from a time management perspective, but yeah. Started with a Turtwig named Jimmy T (after the WarioWare character), and drew some art of most of my team taking on details of characters they were named after, much as Nuzlocke did in his own comic. I managed to get a few Gyms in, but then... Pokemon X released. And I played it and loved it, and immediately went out to buy Pokemon Y so I could do a Nuzlocke of it, so that Diamond run basically ended there.

But I finished that Y run, and then immediately decided to do a run in my copy of Crystal with a dead battery by just leaving the game running with my GBA SP plugged into the wall so the power would never go off. This was a successful idea, up until the point where the game just randomly shut itself off as I was playing when I was nearing Clair and the endgame... Thankfully I'd been saving the game in spite of the battery being dead, and I suppose keeping the game turned on all that time must have given a slight charge to the battery, since when I started the game up again immediately, the save was still there! So I ended up finishing that one, then heading home at the end of the semester, and I think that was when I finally made my account on the forums. And there have been many runs since then, with many more still to come!

EDIT: Checked on Tapa (I could've sworn I couldn't see anything like this in my profile last time I looked!), and it turns out I joined the forums on April 1st, 2015. I had finally finished studying by that point, so I probably held off for fear of wasting too much time there. And that was probably a smart move... From checking the post history, it looks like the thing that finally pushed me into joining was probably looking for someone to help me start my Egglocke that I planned to make a comic of. ...Hopefully I actually get around to that one day...

Last edited:

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
A Pokémon shrouded in hearsay and urban legend, spoken of only in whispered tales and hushed gossip.
I don't remember the precise details of how I first heard of the challenge. TVTropes is a good possibility as I used to get sucked into that site for hours. Either way, at some point, I heard the term "Nuzlocke" a few times.

...Actually, now that I think of it, maybe it was browsing the "Tear Jerker" trope and the site referenced Hard Mode's rules comic that had the bidoof dying.

Either way, I proceeded to look into this "Nuzlocke" on both TVTropes, and getting lots of comics and stuff referenced there, and on Bulbapedia as well. I eventually wound up at the main site itself and binge-read Ruby, Red, and White Hardmodes. I very quickly found my way to the forums, which were wrapping up the 2012 extravaganza and announcing winners, and poked around, looking at some different stories and comics, I don't remember all of which except one of them was called, I think, "It Just Got Serious!"

I also learned there were also not only comics, but also stories! So I was like, "Oh hey, I can write! And inspiration is hitting me hard and stuff!" I was also pretty big into Roguelikes and stuff at the time, so the rules had an appeal to me as well that hooked me.

January 9, 2013, I make my account and, on the 30th, I post the first two chapters of Fractured Actuality, which is long since completed. The rest is history.

Last edited:

Lynslayer

SEKAI DE ICHIBAN OHIME-SAMA
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 19, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Water, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It is very likely that this Pokemon is currently crying over anime.
oh gosh, i actually heard about the nuzlocke challenge all the way back in 2010, when one of my friends randomly asked "hey, have you heard about the nuzlocke challenge?" and linked me to the OG Nuz Comic. after that i ravenously read the OG comic, then found a bunch of fan comics thru that, like kynim, hale, robotv7, freddy, etc etc, the really old meme-y classics. i technically made my first nuzlocke comic back in 2010/2011 but we don't talk about that bc it was Really Really Bad jfwoeiaf;jiwoej

i never joined the community back then, but i think i kept up with fan comics until about 2012?? then i kinda stopped paying attention to fan runs for a couple or so years. however, the nuzlocke challenge was apparently Always on the back of my mind bc i ended up doing my diamond run for Acceptance (my current comic) in 2014, and around that time i started reading a couple other comics, the main one coming to mind being Pi and Pea's Adventures. then i procrastinated on starting my comic for two years, didn't really read any other fan runs during that time, and then finally started my comic in 2016. i Officially joined the community after that, started reading a TON more runs and was shocked by just how many good nuz runs were out there at that point, started (very nervously at first :'D) interacting with other people in the community, made a ton of really good friends, and i've been enjoying my time here with everyone ever since!! uwu

gtaforever00

Conqueror of the Pewter Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Snorlax
I ran upon nuzlocke runs on youtube searching for speed runs. I love watching the randomized speed runs for pretty much any game. I ran upon a Gen 3 run and I was instantly hooked.

Emilianite

Conqueror of the Cinnabar Gym
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 22, 2019
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Ice
I only remember randomly stumbling upon an early page of Mewitti's Alterity in google images (a tragic page) and it kinda left me shook so clicked myself out, i didn't know it was something called "nuzlocke" until a couple of years later when i somehow ended up in the forums early 2014 (i have absolutely no memory how though it's complete blank for me) and actually learned about the concept. Since i got a new copy of heartgold as a birthday gift i decided to play through that and make a fun little comic out of it because it looked like people were having good time drawing some too so why not. im very thankful for that decision

TheBlackBullets

Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym
Artist
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pronouns
She/them
Pokémon Type
Grass
A friend introduced me to Nuzlockes and recommended the original. I fell in love with that. But it was when I tried a Nuzlocke for myself that I really fell in love with the entire thing.

Garnet

Hater of the Monty Hall Problem
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
They/He
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A strange Pokémon that claims to be both an artist and writer, yet almost never has any work to show for either.
If I remember correctly, I first heard of the concept through the original PokéFarm forums waaaaaay back in the day? I did a few undocumented runs of my own that I don’t believe I ever finished (except for one run of... I wanna say Emerald? where the mvp of my team, beating out a Gardevoir of all things, was a Minun) back in... I think late 2010, early 2011? I remember having a run where I named my Mudkip starter Meme, because we all know why. When I finally looked into it further, I wanna say I found Petty’s LeafGreen run first, followed by Nick’s original Hard Mode Comics? At which point I ended up on the forums from the link on the site, and despite occasional disappearances and hiatuses, the rest is history.

Vexelbun

Robo-bun of Friendship
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
any
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Steel
Pokédex Entry
It Just Works
I can't say with 100% certainty, but I believe it was Pettyartist's run that introduced me to the concept (I had followed her previously for her paperchild crafts). I've always been a very casual player, but Hard Mode intrigued me since it helped spotlight Pokemon that are often overlooked. (And I'm always a sucker for putting interesting twists on existing media too)

dinner

Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 4, 2019
2010-ish according to my account on the old forum, I believe I had a Pokemon-replaying phase anyway, and then it came to be en vogue... (I think Nuz had already finished Season 1 by then, Hale's and Notepad's runs were big) and turns out this variant makes it even more strangely addictive.

What a bunch of obnoxious memes I was into (or rather, a victim of) at the time though... yet I chose to reuse the name and avatar for the new forum out of laziness and convenience. Oh well...

Picket Furret

Antisocial Lurker
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Normal
I have no clue where I first heard of the Nuzlocke Challenge, but it was always this term I kept hearing on occasion and paid no attention too because I figured it was some inside joke from some circle of friends I wasn't part of

Then I FINALLY learned of the challenge and it's appeal once I watched a RabidLuigi video cover the topic in one of his countdowns (Yeah weird place to learn it, I know), then I looked it up, read Myths of Unova because it was popular, and decided to try it out on Pokemon X since I was trying to actually have fun with the game (This was sadly before I watched the anime). I then decided to try and make a comic myself called "Lusi in the Sky"... and I discontinued it due to my lacking in interest and poor NuzLog skills (though with the oversaturation of Gen 6 Gijinka comics, it just couldn't compete anyways), so I tried something else with custom rules (See ASoB's "About the Run" for details on that)

So yeah, my history with learning about this challenge was a weird one

Last edited:

PageEmperor

Currently busy grinding in my nuzruns and studying
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
Just a guy with way to many ongoing Nuzlockes.
Coincidentally, as of 10th Aug, today marks the 6th anniversary of my Nuzlocking career. Would have posted this a few hours ago so it could be on the exact 6th anniversary, but as a celebration, I shall explain how I got into this challenge mode that might be the reason I am still following this franchise to this day.

I remember the very first time I saw the term 'Nuzlocke' in online playthroughs. Back then I just assumed that it was just another name to describe the playthrough. Then, a few months after I got my phone and was browsing stuff online, I somehow stumbled across a random Nuzlocke comic, forgot what it was. I read a bit of it and understood it, though I just assumed it was like a rom hack or something.

Then cut to 6 years and maybe 1 day before now, I was a big follower of JWittz and he uploaded a video regarding Nuzlockes and I checked it out, making me even more interested to try it out. From there I realised that it wasn't some kind of hack and I can play with old cartridges and impose the rules myself. I then proceeded to look for a free cartridge, found a copy of Diamond that I must have gotten as a gift but never completed it. I then restarted the game and thus, my first Nuzlocke began.

In about several weeks or so, I completed the run at 7 deaths. For some reason I was expecting more, either because it was my first or I expected Diamond to be as hard as Platinum. From there, I have done tons of Nuzlockes over the years whether it be cartridges, hacks, and now randomisers.

Rhema

Conqueror of the Azalea Gym
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
She tries her best, but doesn't succeed. She gets what she wants but not what she needs.
I stumbled upon @Aurea ‘s Impulse a few years back. Up until then, I had never heard of nuzlocking as a way of playing Pokémon. Now it’s pretty much the only way I play!

Manic

Candlebearer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Brave
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Never Forget - Never Give Up - Grind Like Hell
Found the website when it was just a list of links to .JPGs. Read all of the Nuzlockes.
All of them.

Later, discovered there was a forum for it. Started reading.
Learned that screenshot nuzlockes were a thing, found Fedora Jack's work.
Thought to myself, "Hey, I could potentially do this." (every nuzlocke I'd seen before was a comic run and I can't draw)
So...I did.

Alan900900900

Lurker extraordinaire
Globetrotter
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is a master of having too many projects at the same time. Also, Pikablu.
Hm, this is a tough question. It was circa 2014, and I probably first found this style of run over on TV Tropes, like some have mentioned already. I remember reading both the original Nuz comics as well as Petty's runs, and deciding I just had to try this out for myself.
I made one amateurish screenshot run on the old forums, but the grinding towards the end bogged me down significantly. I managed to finish it, but I absolutely ran out of steam, so I kinda left it there and didn't touch the forums again for a while.

Come late 2018, and earlier in the year I had stumbled upon this dude on YT called DeadBedSpread. He was just premiering a nuzlocke series with a rather complex ruleset (one I still want to give an honest shot at in the future). This kind of reawakened my interest in nuzlockes, so I figured I'd give it a shot, come back to the forums, and start a new run in hopes of finishing it this time. That's how I re-discovered the forums, right in the middle of the Tapatalk takeover (which honestly I didn't even notice at the time), and here I am right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)