• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

How did you get into Nuzlocking?

Thread Description
We're all here for a reason...what's yours?

Fullmental

*Fódlan Winds intensifies*
Administrator
Tech Team
🎇Contributor
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Rock, Clever
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon can sometimes be found meticulously editing and re-editing it's own content, never satisfied with the results.
The original Hard Mode challenge, commonly known as the Nuzlocke Challenge, has now been around for nearly 10 years! To help celebrate the new forums, I want to hear from all of you: When and how did YOU discover the challenge?

Personally, I discovered the original comic in 2011. I can't for the life of me remember exactly when or where, because it was some time before I joined Reddit, Twitter, and even the Nuz forums. I may have heard of the challenge on DeviantArt through someone I followed, though I have long since ceased my activity there and have no idea exactly who that might have been.

What really drew me to the challenge was the pure novelty of the creative side of things - seeing a comic or story written or drawn out to accompany a pokemon playthrough was brand new to me. What might surprise some people is I'm actually not that tied to the ruleset, though I do enjoy a challenge from time to time. When I first discovered Nuzlocking though, it just so happened that these playthroughs I found had those extra "hard mode" rules attached to them.

Once I found the original comic and saw the amazing work of people such as Notepad, Kit, Petty, Kynim, and many, many more people I'm probably forgetting at this point, I wanted to experience the same challenge and document my own runs. I joined the OG forums in 2012 and, aside from a few hiatuses here and there when my schedule simply got too full to keep up, I've been around ever since.

Nowadays I stick around because I love involving myself in larger community events (often at the expense of my own runs). I feel like our large-scale community events and activities are a big part of why this place has been around so long and why I'm still here after 7 years - MUCH longer than the typical time I spend with an online community!

Now it's your turn. What draws YOU to the challenge? When did you discover it? How? If you've been here a while, what keeps you coming back? Tell us!

MouseWithADinosaurTail

A Comedian At Heart
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
She's like a sea urchin. Tough and prickly on the outside, but delicate and easily wounded if hit the wrong way. Please handle gently.
I was drawn in by one of my irl friends who told me about nuzlockes! She was describing the two rules to me, and I thought it sounded pretty tame when she was describing the catch rule, but then she said "And if your pokemon faints, you have to release it" and I was like ........ Holy shit. Pretty soon after that, I started my first nuzlocke run in Pokemon Black. I didn't get into nuzlocke comics right away, but my first read was Alterity, and then I read Petty's Nuzlocke. Then I met pkmnMasterWheeler and another person, and it was down the rabbit hole from there!

mizar

young, dumb, and full of you know ;)
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
Dragon
When I was in middle school (2011-2013) I used to watch Marriland's nuzlockes on youtube. I did a lot of nuzlockes on my games but I was unaware of comics and community outside of this. Somehow I came across Effsnares comic sometime in 2015 I think and it inspired me to try to make my own comic than never went anywhere. I found the forums from the 2017 extravaganza, I didn't really start to get active in the community until this year though, and now I have my own comic.

Obelisk

no sleep only wepears
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric
Pokédex Entry
Eccentric 'locker obsessed with Magikarp.
I believe a friend told me about nuzlockes a long time ago, but I'm not sure. I got drawn in by the Hard Mode comic, then Petty and Kynim's runs. At the time, it was an interesting concept but I doubted I could bother trying. And then I found Manic's runs and got sucked right into the whole thing.

Paine

The doctorate is in pain.
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 20, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
He/him; they/them; she/her
Pokémon Type
Psychic, ???
Pokédex Entry
It never quite knows what it's doing. Yet, somehow, things still get done.
I’ve been off and on interested in them for a few years? Followed the comic, attempted a few runs that I never stuck with, never checked out the forums much until relatively recently xD honestly, I was more just looking for a Pokémon community since I needed to get a little less withdrawn, and...

Well I found a post complaining about how the mods didn’t put up with BS (that turned out to be OP of said post acting like an asshole), realized ‘hm. Community built around creative works, Pokemon, and seems safe? What the hell’, and that’s what got me here and trying my first true nuzlocke challenge! So thanks, post about avoiding the nuzlocke forums, you got me to finally try this damn thing & turns out? I loved the extra touch of challenge, it adds a nice little depth to things & im super excited to try out different run variants in future games!

pkmnMasterWheeler

Conqueror of the Mahogany Gym
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Cute
I first saw some Nuzlocke comics in 2011 and was like "eww, Pokemon dying? No thank you!" But then later I saw a Nuzlocke let's play and was more open to the idea. After that started reading some comics and when I read Petty's LG I was like "oh, this is the kind of thing I wanna do" so here we are now.

Funny thing is a reread of Petty's comics is part of what inspired me to start my Yellow comic, so she actually inspired me twice over.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
The first nuzlocke I ever read was Myths of Unova, which was pretty cool. For a long time I was resistant to the idea of playing nuzlockes because of permadeath, and as of this posting I still have only ever actually completed one nuzlocke, my first: Omega Wonder, an Omega Ruby wonderlocke where the heroine is a secret agent of the Hoenn Rangers trying to stop a conspiracy or two. My other two nuzlockes, Moon Child and Sanic X, both died part of the way through: the first due to emotional issues I was working through at the time, the second due to several problems, one of which was that the base material I was working with (Sonic continuity) was heavily weighing it down.

Honestly, I'd thought I'd never play another nuzlocke ever again.

But then I started reading the Bryssverse, and I was like, "This. I want to do this." That combined with Finding Your Roots inspired me to take up my pen and my game controller again and get to work on not just an all-new nuzlocke, but a series of nuzlockes; a shared PMD-style universe originating in the Gatto region (long story how I came up with that name, but you might be able to guess) and chronicling the rise of a new set of heroes. I currently have plans for four different runs and a loose idea as to where they'll probably 'fit' in the Gattoverse canon, but going into details would be spoilers.

Unfortunately, I don't currently have a set date for the first chapter of the first run, as I'm going to play through the entire run before starting work on the story itself. But in terms of gameplay, I've just defeated Lt. Surge, so I'm making good progress so far.

satanicswirlix

Government Assigned Towelie Kinnie
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
dude/weed/lmao
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Cute
Pokédex Entry
This user's interests change more often than her pantalones. It is unlikely that she'll ever finish making a nuzlocke comic, but she can die trying!
Let's see, time to use my galaxy brain here... I somehow stumbled across a few nuzlocke comics back in the day, and thought they were the funniest things ever. I have fond memories of sitting by the fire, spending hours getting inspired by other peoples' stories. Petty and Kynim is what first comes to mind. Unfortunately, most of the other runs I read were either discontinued or taken down.

I even tried making my own Alpha Sapphire nuzlocke back when the games just came out, good times...

It was only until discovering gijinkalockes (Burn Away), and superhero anime that I decided I wanted to make my own nuzlocke story. I had a few ideas in my mind, but none of the newer games had replay value to me, nor were my incomplete runs interesting enough to turn into a comic. So then I took the stupid route of starting a comic of the upcoming games, and here we are today!

CasualGameFreak

Discord Resident Extraordinaire
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 23, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
they/she
Pokémon Type
Grass
Pokédex Entry
Despite being a Grass-type, Casual is a flaming lesbian. Fire and Grass don't usually mix, but somehow it works out here.
A friend originally told me about the original comic and the rules, which is what originally drew me in to the idea. Then Petty's runs inspired me to start my own. And the rest is history.

Funen1

If you're alive, you can keep moving!
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
I had known about Nuzlockes for a long time beforehand, but I can't say there was much "special" that really triggered me into actually trying it out; it just kinda happened on its own. A few years ago I decided I wanted to replay Emerald anyway, and at some point I realized this would also be a good opportunity to make it a Nuzlocke.

On a similar note, how I got into Corruption Lockes, the ruleset I've tended to use over the years, was also kinda random. After deciding to make the aforementioned Emerald replay into a Nuzlocke, I was browsing this Nuzlocke wiki one day and learning about different rulesets out of curiosity. But then I stumbled across Corruption Lockes, and seeing how their "Grief" system worked reminded me so much of one of my favorite anime shows, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, that I just couldn't let the opportunity for a crossover go, and I've kept with it ever since.

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
I don't even remember where I first saw it. I just know I decided to try one in White during 2013. It was messy and sloppy, but I made it. I didn't do another one for a few months, but for ages after I just had the memory of it in my mind. Then I decided to do more. A lot of early runs didn't even use Set mode and were sloppy, but now I've done a stupid amount and will do more no doubt. I only really play Pokemon to do nuzlockes these days. It's like an itch you can't scratch.

Rhema

Conqueror of the Azalea Gym
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
She tries her best, but doesn't succeed. She gets what she wants but not what she needs.
I stumbled upon the lovely @Aurea ‘s Impulse on reddit a few years back and fell in love with the fic, and even more so the idea of a nuzlocke. I had never considered playing Pokémon on “hard mode” until I read that fic, and now it’s pretty much the only way I play (whether it be a nuzlocke, randomlocke, Wonderlocke, etc...)

JavierE64

Masks are so 2016!!
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Water
Pokédex Entry
The Master of both Light and Darkness; who loves the Violent and Dramatic, and the Fun and Adorable.
Back in 2015, I saw multiple you tubers doing their own Nuzlockes runs. After some searching, I came across the Rules as well as the comics. I played Pokémon for 6 years at that point, so this new rule-set quickly catches my attention; but what really got me into Nuzlockes were the different stories made by multiple artist, specially the original comic and both of Kynim´s runs. But what I really loved about them, is how personalized they were, every run was different from the other.

But what really inspired me to make my own run were the Storylockes; seeing all those writers tell incredible and engaging stories with their fics really woke up my aspiration for making stories.

Although I was a little bit out of the challenge for some years due to High School, only updating on my run; The never ending pool of new and interesting runs, as well as the existence of such a great community made me return to Nuzlocking to the fullest.

Thanks a lot reading, and I wish you a nice day.

SimplyUnknown

Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A silent watcher who speaks only when something needs to be said. Offers free hugs to those who need them.
In short, Ky-nim and Kitfox Crimson. I was browsing Deviantart looking for pics of Sinnoh Pokemon and stumbled onto Ky-nim's Diamond Nuzlocke. Then I found Kitfox's Sapphire run, and that eventually led me to the original forums. The playstyle fit for me because I was never into the 'Gotta Catch'em All' part of Pokemon, and the incredible creativity that went into some of the runs I read had me inspired. It took me a while to get into writing, but nuzlocking is now the main way that I play Pokemon.

Azelf

Don't mind me...
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Psychic, ???
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is too lazy too make any creative shit, and would sitting down like a sack of potatoes and play video games.
Not sure if it's uncommon or not, but I've been introduced to the Nuzlocke rules by JWittz' video covering the self-imposed rules:

After watching the video, I started reading the official Nuzlocke comic, and fell in love with the idea. I wanted to make my own Nuzlocke story, one I can share to the world and unleash my creative mind into the world of Pokemon.

...Aaaaand after two failed attempts, I tend to forget that I really wanted to do a Nuzlocke run. Hopefully, with the forum being properly resurrected, I can work on the Nuzlocke story I've wanted to tell.

Mattman324

Blame this on the misfortunes of your birth.
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
YUUSHA
Pokémon Type
Electric, Steel
Pokédex Entry
KITA KITA KITA
Waaaaaaaaaaaay the fuck back in 2010, when Nuzlocke’s original comic was starting to take the widespread Pokemon community by storm, I happened on an early thread about it... a few places, though I think the first was on Smogon actually. I thought it was pretty cool and played the challenge a bit early on, and maybe a month later as the forum was starting I started lurking some of the more interesting stuff (RIP Hale, your runs inspired legions of shitposters but your comics were good shit) before eventually getting an account.

Ardomew

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Normal, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
The Violet Wizard. Passionate about art, food, and games.
I discovered the challenge while browsing TvTropes one day. Traced it back to the original comic, then I read a bunch of the fan comics. The rest is history.

Bug

👉😎👉
Administrator
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
oh fuck oh shit my dots...............................................................................................................................
I've actually known about Nuzlocke from around the time it was on 4chan, because I used to browse there for whatever reason. I didn't really latch onto it, tho, and just kept tabs on it from time to time. Really, it was the fan content that brought me back in. This run, Felik's Adventure of Infinite Lameness, was what hooked me in again. I started my own comic, and eased into the waters of forum culture. Now, here I am!

I'm Bug, I'm 25, and I can't fucking play Pokemon normally anymore.

DoctorRosalia

The human half of some blue dude
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Some dude got stabbed with a sword and here this Pokemon is, alive, angery, and two days old
I got bored because I had not one but two completely free periods in high school, so I brought my 3ds and started playing Sun.

kittenrobotarmy

HERE COME THE BUFFS
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Always has a cat on her lap and a run that she should be working on. Loves Fire Emblem and Persona.
I don't actually remember. I know I'm subbed to r/nuzlocke on Reddit but I have no idea if I found the sub first or the site. Either way, it's been a wild ride since then and I can no longer play Pokemon casually.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)