• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Nuzlocke General Hardest (and easiest) games to nuzlocke

Thread Description
Not all of them are hard... some are even harder!

Dancing Omastar

Jack of some trades
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ghost
Not all games are equally difficult to nuzlocke (at least I think so).

In my opinion ORAS are easily the easiest - the exp. share in sixth gen is a huge help, one of the starters is a Mudkip which evolutionary line is from what I've heard one of the best to use in nuzlockes. And let's not forget that you literally get a free legendary (Latias/Latios, you don't even need to catch it) and that Mega evolutions may sometimes be really overpowered.

So yes, this thread is for discussing the hardest and easiest games to nuzlocke. Make sure to write why you think the game is easy/difficult.

oliviamakesanart

yee to the haw
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 19, 2020
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Obsessed with cowboy hats
Gen 6 (X/Y and ORAS) are definitely the easiest to Nuzlocke with the exp share on. With exp share turned off, it's more of a challenge, but still easy, I find myself rarely ever losing mons in gen 6 games even with harder rulesets for pretty much all the reasons you list above.

As for hardest, for me personally, it's Gen 4 games. HG/SS and D/P/Pt are all long games with brutal gyms and challenges in all of them. Late game HG/SS are especially hard to bounce back from if you lose any team members. This is part of why I love nuzlocking them, but they're definitely a challenge even with vanilla Nuzlocke rules.

CasualGameFreak

Discord Resident Extraordinaire
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 23, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
they/she
Pokémon Type
Grass
Pokédex Entry
Despite being a Grass-type, Casual is a flaming lesbian. Fire and Grass don't usually mix, but somehow it works out here.
Disclaimer that this is with core rules only, so I'm treating things like Amie that are commonly banned as usable.

Easiest: XY by a long shot. Pretty much every new feature introduced in the game is meant to make it as easy as possible. Combine that with overpowered giftmons and you get a Nuzlocke experience that's pretty much just easy mode.

Hardest: USUM. It was a tough choice between this and BW2's Challenge Mode, but I chose USUM for two significant reasons: EV'd up trainers, and Ultra Necrozma. Every last thing in the game is out to kill you and then kill you again.

Vexelbun

Robo-bun of Friendship
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
any
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Steel
Pokédex Entry
It Just Works
While Platinum gives me grief around the mid-point and USUM totem battles can be nail-biters if you don't have a good setup, Black/White 1 takes the crown for having far and away the most difficult EARLY section of any game.

I'm going to pin the blame almost entirely on the EXP system because you simply cannot grind in those games. You don't get access to Audino in the shaking grass until after the first gym, and your options until Nacrene City are severely limited.

Even choosing Tepig/Pignite specifically for Lenora, unless you are above its level, it WILL hypnotize you and hand you your own keister before you can blink. The rest of the gym leaders while not quite as difficult, I find are still somewhat challenging. This was also before Fairy to balance out Dragons, and heaven help you if you don't have a solid Ice type for the final gym...

As for easiest, I'm going to go with the (probably overstated) opinion of XY. While the free legendary and better access to Megas in ORAS is a valid argument, the gym battles and elite four in ORAS can be at least a decent challenge, depending on your team. XY's gyms and league, by contrast, are a snoozefest. Honestly, the most difficult section of XY to my memory is that double battle with the Furfrou outside Parfum Palace, lol.

TheTRUEgge

Ethos is okay, actually
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon has too many ideas for their own good.
For me, easiest is probably Crystal. I’m very familiar with the game, leveling is difficult but not strictly necessary for most of it, it’s very easy to get a good team if you run dupes, and the trainers aren’t very threatening. Even gym leaders that are considered difficult aren’t too bad in GSC- Whitney is easily countered, Clair’s Kingdra doesn’t have sniper, etc.

I would say that hardest is between BW and BW2 Challenge mode. Both have some absolutely bonkers gym leaders, only one of whom I would even consider to be an easy win in a traditional Nuzlocke (Brycen in BW and Marlon in BW2). They’re also littered with difficult regular trainer battles, such as the many Throh and Sawk present in lategame and the random trainers with Sigilyph in the mid game, not to mention the triple/roation battle ace trainers that can easily take you by surprise. I find the difficulty the main reason why I enjoy Nuzlocking the games so much; it’s difficult to find a good counter for many of the heavy hitting bosses in the games. USUM are second-hardest to me, but part of that is almost certainly because in every nuz of them I’ve done, I’ve carefully abused dupes to ensure a Bisharp to use against Ultra Necrozma (Bisharp is the best hard counter to it in the game)

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
A Pokémon shrouded in hearsay and urban legend, spoken of only in whispered tales and hushed gossip.
For easiest, I'd be tempted to say FRLG if you don't count XP Share, gift mon, or gimmick abuse. Other than getting Brock-blocked using Charmander, most of the hard bits of the game can be delayed or put off indefinitely until you can tackle them trivially in whatever order is easiest for your team. Especially if you're willing to work the Game Corner, in which case you'll likely have optimal, end-game movesets for your whole team before the fourth gym. Or at least partial end-game movesets.

Additionally, there are no gimmicks to hit you with. No megas, no Z-moves, no Dynamax, no triple/rotation/sky/inverse/whatever battles, and double battles are very very rare. The A.I. isn't as sophisticated or intelligent as later games, enemy movesets aren't particularly well designed, often don't consider the lack of physical/special split, and are usually "level-up moves plus maybe the gym's TM", no mandatory legendary battles, and a lot of the really-scary-mons of the region have 4x weaknesses to TMs you can trivially stockpile.

But really, FRLG just doesn't have many big, major threats that can't be put off or ignored entirely.

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
Yeah, FRLG just don't have any real difficulty outside of Sabrina, and since you can skip her until after Blaine if you're worried, there's no real challenge unless you impose it yourself. Definitely the easiest games to 'locke IMO.

As for hardest, Platinum's a notorious contender-Fantina's a known run-ender since there's no good counter available at that point. Then you have Distortion World Cyrus who's another notoriously mean battle, both Candice and Volkner are vastly improved from DP, the league is also much tougher than in DP even though it's lower-leveled, plus you still have the hacked Purugly and Skuntank that carried over, and even random trainers can screw you over.

Both Gen 5 games are also tough-BW has Lenora, Clay, and Drayden/Iris who are all known run-enders (remember, Lenora's only the second gym), and of course that infamous Hydreigon. Then BW2 has one of the toughest first gyms in the whole series, Clay and Drayden are still vicious, and the whole endgame from Marlon on is brutal. Plus both games are severely limited on catches until after the second gym.

SM are also pretty tough-all three Akala Totems are vicious, and don't even get me started on that thing in Acerola's trial. Then you have Ultra Space Lusamine, who's widely considered one of the toughest battles in the whole series.
I haven't played the Ultra games, but from what I've heard they're even harder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)