• Ash has been all over the news lately and this site is no exception! Check out Ashes to Ashes, the latest featured run!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes recieving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our new Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • Happy tapaversary, Guest! It's been about a year since the Tapatalk Takeover; if you'd like to make a donation to us to celebrate the fact that we tapped out of that site, please click here.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about the new Critique Level Tags!
  • The second episode of Nuzlocke City Radio is here! Tune in for our discussion on the history and analysis of gijinkas, catch up on the biggest forum news, and we finally settle the score between Team Aqua and Team Magma in The Debatelockers!

Screenshot Hoenn Teen Mon Glaedr's Super Experienced Pokemon Emerald Nuzlocke

Thread Description
It's good to be back

Glaedr

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
Water, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon sleeps for 14 hours a day. It likes to observe celestial bodies while awake.
Hello my guys! Welcome to my first nuzlocke, finally. It took me longer than I care to admit to learn how to take a screenshot. I'll be testing the nuzlockian waters with an old favorite of mine, vanilla Emerald. Sapphire was technically my first Pokemon game, but here I chose Emerald because frankly, I find it easier. All the gyms have an extra and almost completely useless pokemon that gives bonus xp, and if you want you can get a lvl70 legendary instead of the lvl45 legendary the first two games came with. I've been playing Emerald for years and years and years, so I'm basically an expert. Without further ado, let's get into it!

Wait a second. What the hell is that thing?
1a. May only catch the first Pokemon found on each route.
b. If attempt to capture this Pokemon fails, tough.
c. Dupe Clause: I don't wanna deal with 3 poochyenas. I don't really want to deal with 1, but that's neither here nor there.
d. Pokeball Clause: I think this generally goes without saying, but rule 1 doesn't kick in until I actually get the pokeballs
e. Legendary Clause: Don't use em, coward. Even though I said this was a reason I wanted to pick Emerald, I'm not so base as to steamroll the E4 with a Rayquaza.
f. Shiny Clause: I haven't been this lucky yet, but if I find them I can capture them. I still can't use em though.
g. Santa Clause: Ha ha ha get it? He doesn't exist. This is why I tagged this run as teen. The kids mustn't see this.

2a. If Pokemon faints, it's considered a weakling. Weaklings get sealed inside a hollow sphere of steel and get launched at the sun.
b. No Clauses: No excuses. Hold fast, or expire.

4. What else? Hmmmmm. Oh right, nicknames. These'll be dumb and random this time through. That's just how I be. Wait where's rule 3?

3. If I run out of non-weakling pokemon, I lose. If I become champ, I win. That simple.

Like seriously, I miss so much because I won't stop turbo-ing. This may end up functioning as a half-written log

Excellent. I would also call that a pokemon. Not a great one, mind you
At least the ROM works. I mean, the legal cartridge. Also ignore what I said about turboing and screenshots.

It really be me. I'm boy this time around.

That's the right idea, May. Stranger Danger. Good on you!

Mmm. Spoke too soon. Whatever intro stuff is boring lets get to the death game.

Hah, you flippin moron! You simple buffoon! You amateur!
Zigzagoon turns around and claws my face off

YEEEEEES! I chose Mupkib here because Mukbib is the best starter. I honestly can't start in Hoenn with any starter that isn't Mukrip.
For real, besides the fact the Mubkip is my favorite, Swampert only has 1 weakness, and there aren't any major grass trainers in Hoenn. I just need to be careful with specific grass Pokemon and I'll prob be fine. Biggest threat is probably Grovyle, and I obviously won't send out a slow x4 weakness against it.

Ah. I see. Adamant. Of course. Like all pro pokemon masters, I have these memorized. I won't tell you what adamant is because you should already know. Hopefully I won't spend too much time in Torrent mode.

He's certainly my hero. Silent protagonist, striking good looks, courageous. It's all there. It's like looking in a mirror.

May, prepare yourself and your partner for honorable combat. With my starter, fresh from some bag I found in the woods, and certainly not trained to give me an unfair advantage, let us wage a grand martial spectacle for all to see!

Perfect.

Ah, yes. The good ol' pound once and then leer until you die. May truly is the Alexander the Great of Pokemon Duels.

Grabbed the pokeballs and we're off! (Yeah I missed everything between these two points, sue me. I'll see you in poke-court.)

Hoo boi, not bad at all. I've been getting Beautiflys pretty reliably so I'm hopeful.

I also missed the capture screen. I'm good at this game I promise. Named James because James the Name. I think it makes for a rather dashing Beautifly.

I got this in that one route above the town that's above the first town. You know, that one.

I'm gonna level with you, Vincent is a killer. Don't mess with Vincent, lest he should mess with you. Look at that gait. That is the walk of a man who fears nothing but the IRS and thundershocks.

Welp, that's what I get for dissing lotads. I named him Oren because I do not care.

Uh OHhhhhh, Here we go! Heck yeh mang

Wh-Buuuuuuulllllshit! Come on! Are you kidding me? More like Crapcoon. More like... Castomb. Cuz ur dead to me. What a FREAKIN disappointment. Looks like we have our first weakling, fellas.

I have reached dad city. I am filled with conviction. I must journey on.

That's tough, kiddo. Not everyone gets what they want. I myself was victim of a tragedy just today when the evolution of a trusted pokemon went awr-

FINE. I'm gonna complain the entire time tho.

I don't care if this dude is blind unless he's daredevil he's getting decked.

West of Dad City

wow that's another water type. Wat-er all these water pokemon doing here?

classic

Meet Grigori, Vincent's cousin. He lacks the intelligence and bloodlust that blesses and curses Vincent, but what he lacks in brains, he makes up for in lack of brains.
He's just really, really dumb.

I found some loser's dad in Dad Woods. Nabbed him. Truant is an ability I don't wanna deal with. Gonna be boxed, but I doubt he even cares. Named Armstrong cuz he got arms, which is unique to him.

Nerd I don't care about finds another nerd I don't care about, but I give the new nerd a cooler nickname just to spite the old nerd. Take that, old nerd. I already forgot your lame name.
Anyway, new nerd is boxed because I don't like his exp rate.

Alright, time to grind for gym 1. I'm gonna stop around level 11 or so, just because this should be a real simple gym.

Ugh, got this while grinding. Wait, James learns confusion? Huh...

UH OOHHH

Hm. This actually happened a lot while grinding Grigori, you can tell these are two separate occasions because of the health and xp. He's so slow that he reliably fails to run from a sleeping baby.

Alright enough grinding lets do this. I have four water pokemon so I really shouldn't lose.

Scientists claim this is what you see right before you die.

I tried my hand at tactics, using mud-slap to lower the dude's accuracy, but he countered with his own tactics and just hit me every time anyway, which was cool.
Also of note, I usually evolve my starter by now, but I was feeling lazy. Link was a single crit from paying for it, but he didn't, so whatever. I'm never using tactics again, from now on it's just grinding and Destiny Red.

I guess you could say I really grinded her- no wait, I ground her gears? I really turned her team to ground...pepper? Man puns are hard.

Oh wait its the rock gym. I got confused because everybody had Geodudes. Well shoot, I already left. I can't just enter again for a late pun...

Hey Roxanne, I guess you could say, uh, rocks and stones may break my bones but water really, really counters rock type.

Yeh

Anyway I didn't get any of the post-gym 1 aqua stuff 'cause it was nothing exciting, I stomped on a pooch and collected the stuff, you know how it is.

This dude really grinds my gears. Forcing me to call the president and then interrupting me if I accidentally click something else. What am I supposed to do, let go of turbo for 3 seconds? Screw you AND your match call, nerd.

Alright, I'm getting mad at nameless NPC's now, that's probably a sign that I'm done for today. Next update will probably be up to Brawly. No deaths, although I only really care about Link so far. Soooo disappointed in James.

Last edited:

Jimcloud

Administrator
Administrator
🌱Featurer
🎇Contributor
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Pronouns
they/she
Oh hey! You made a run, huh? Cool

James is doing his best for you show him some love and respect!

I for one think Oren is a berry good name, eh? ehhhh??? ehhhhhhhh????

I love Vincent and Grigori. They're doing their absolute best, though I do wonder about a family that is siring both Marill and Wingull.

idk what youre talking about the execution on that roxanne joke was flawless

DestinyDragonGS

Some guy on the internet
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is very relaxed and enjoys analyzing things. This Pokemon is also quick to snark at anything that gives it an opportunity
I laughed way too hard at rule 2a I think you'd get a kick out of Phoenix Wright abridged where every criminal he condemns is sent to the sun

Also isn't Dustox generally considered bet *SHOT*

Glaedr

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
Water, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon sleeps for 14 hours a day. It likes to observe celestial bodies while awake.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks like it's that time again. I'm actually pretty far ahead but we'll pretend that this is happening real time.

@Jimcloud: Well, James is at least better than Oren. That's not saying a lot though, and he's still not a Beautifly. Oren can learn a lot of HM's, which means I'll probably keep him on the team for a while. Yeah, that's a pretty good pun. Darn, why didn't I think of that?
I really like Vincent and Grigori too. Fun Fact: Wingull and Marill share an egg group. Why? I don't rightly know. Also, I can't get Vincent to tell me if it's a blood relation or not. I have a sinking suspicion that they were deeply rooted in the poke-mafia.

@DestinyDragonGS: Just watched the first episode after seeing this, because I really like the whole abridged idea. Yeah, I originally got the idea from TV go home, which is like a parody television guide. Very specific and very unusual punishment.
Also, I wouldn't doubt that Dustox is better competitively. It's better defenses and better typing make it more useful for stalling or setting up. It's just that in Gen III, I like Beautifly's movepool better, and it's just more aesthetically pleasing.

Does that pun even work? Am I pronouncing Dewford correctly?

But more importantly, the very first evolution in this run, Link! THE VERY FIRST EVOLUTION, GOT IT? A bit uglier, but these are his awkward teenage years. Also, he's stronger, so no complaints.

I am almost immediately accosted by a youth and her flying ruffian companion. As I found out just before writing this, Adamant boosts attack, which explains why Link's tackle sent our acquaintance, the underleveled Wingull here, in to lower orbit.

Hmm, ironic that I called the other Wingull underleveled. Wait, is that irony? What does irony mean?
Two missed supersonics later, Vincent puts down the kazoo and pummels the sickly lizard with his impressive wingspan.

I probably shouldn't rub her nose in this. Next time I see her is one of the roughest fights in this game for me.

Itemfinder who? My galaxy brain can remember up to ten things about this game, making me a walking talking idiot encyclopedia on all things Pokemon.

I slap on a repel because I want a basement catch in Granite cave. I can still technically get a zubat or a makuhita, but I'm really hoping for a Sableye, wouldn't mind an Aron.

Acceptable. No, outstanding! As soon as I saw her, I knew this was fate. Look at those eyes.
Pretty good ability. She'll learn Take Down pretty early, and Double-Edge becomes disgusting. Impish nature uhhhhh...

Is really good, actually. Makes Freya even more of a wall at the expense of literally 0 moves that she learns from level up. That might be the best ability for her
I immediately teach her the Rock Tomb that I got from Roxanne, so she at least has some STAB.

In my early attempts at this game, Brawly was literally the worst fight. Virtually no trainers before him, and I didn't realize that you could go to Slateport beforehand.
So, time for a harrowing grind.
Whoops, look who forgot screenshots. He's level 20, and still amazing.

Wow, two things. First, Vincent is a mad man. He's gonna be my go to guy for this gym. SE STAB Wing Attack, and he's the only flyer at this point that still resists fighting.
Second, he didn't learn a single move for all of these level ups. Some pokemon get no movepool love from GameFreak in Gen III, and I have three in my team at this very moment(Oren, Vincent, and James). ILY Vincent, don't die.

Grigori is still very slow. That's an oddly early third stage, especially for a water type. Rollout can be good, but I worry about his survivability when he gets locked into it. Probably won't get much use in this gym, but just in case I need someone to tank a bit while I heal, he's here.

Wait, why did I grind this guy? I guess he levels easily, and he's on the main team until I get a better fighter/HM Slave. I'm trying to think of when I'll use him, but I'm drawing blanks.
Oren proves himself to be a nerd of nerds, and geek of geeks. He shall reign forever and ever. Hallelujah. Next!

Part of me thinks I did this because I really like these grinding montages, but I'm pretty sure James is growing on me, as much as I hate to say it. Also, Bug/Poison, huh. Double resists Fighting AND grass. In other words, the next two main battles. Damn, dude. He can also take a punch, trading both attack stats with both defense stats with Beautifly. He'll be my backup, because I still prefer Vincent. Fuckin James.

I had to get a bit tricky when grinding Freya, because she couldn't grind in granite cave early on. Unfortunately, I went to Slateport Beach. Which is filled with water-types. Expert Emerald player btw.
She's coming along nicely. I'm not taking her to Brawly because of the whole x4 fighting weakness thing.

Hmm those attack and defense stats are worrying. At least I know he'll outspeed. (+Sp Attack, -Attack)

Simple titles show humility. Also, dat attack. Not bad my guy. Adamant(+Attack, -Sp Attack)

What is there to say? Confusion isn't bad, it gets around Bulk Up's defense increase, but his offensive stats aren't impressive. He's tanky, so he's my second pick. Bold(+Defense, -Attack)

Nothing to write home about. Nature Power as Shadow Ball made grinding a cakewalk, but it won't be nearly as useful in gym. So why is Oren here? Because I don't particularly care if he dies. Sassy(+Sp Defense, -Speed)

Brute is the nicest way I can say he's an idiot. I prefer huge power, but Thick Fat just makes him a good choice for Flannery and Glacia. You do you Grigori. Also I missed the move screenshot. He has tackle, bubble, rollout, and growl. Hasty(+Speed, -Defense)
She's boxed. I will suffer no unnecessary harm to come to her.
Man there's so many spoiler tags I hope this comes out cleanly. How embarrassing would that be?

Fuck... I meticulously took over 50 screenshots showing the preparation for this fight and then took three of the actual fight, one of which is mid-sentence. Hi, welcome to my run. I'm an idiot.
Here's the rundown. Vincent did his job to the letter, as always. His ruthless efficiency is to be feared and respected. Machop and Meditite went down no problem.
Then the Makuhita. This went far better than expected. I didn't trust the sturdiness of a Wingull, so I tossed James out. Makuhita Bulked up twice. James went for the Poison Sting, which poisoned first try. Hell. Yes. We traded Confusion and Vital Throw until Makuhita was healed, and then James took him out. Those ten missing HP? That was 2 double-buffed vital throws!!!
James is cool. There, I said it.
I guess you could say when it was most vital, Brawly really did throw the match.

Dude I found north of Slateport. Named accordingly and boxed.

This frantically pacing man offered me $600 to beat the crap out of his two stupid goldfish. I declined, but as soon as I turned around Vincent and Grigori took the money and taught those fools a lesson they will never forget. We beat a hasty retreat to the sound of poke-police sirens.

May. I have set into motion an unbeatable strategy. You will find no victories to be won here. Steel yourself for your imminent defeat! My tactics are UNMATCHED!

Aaaand I already screwed it up. Why did I lead with Vincent? Didn't end up mattering, as the foe WIngull made the mistake of using a non-damaging move(Supersonic).

Vincent tossed the Slugma into the nearby lake. It was never seen again. I'll have to talk to him about that later.
The stage is set. The curtain will be drawn. How will this act end?

Poison Sting dealt a hefty chunk, and poisoned again first try because I am skilled and James is my instrument of destruction.

Grovyle made a futile attempt at tipping the scales, and was unceremoniously dropped like the chuckle-head he is.
Damn James. Just damn.

...and other hilarious jokes you can tell yourself.

But hey, it worked out for us, anyway.

Alright. This will be a sweep. I threw Link at every trainer within a ten kilometer radius to get ready. No point in overselling it. That attack stat coupled with Mud Shot. I mean, come on.

Yeah, I did it again. sighs
Voltorb outsped, screeched, and died
I actually outsped Elektrike and put him in the ground.
Magneton is likewise outsped(!), and is similarly dunked.
Manectric outspeeds, only because he quick attacked. It dealt negligible damage, and I walk away with a badge. Link says nothing, just nods to Wattson and exits the building. God, he's just too cool.
Wattson's Pokemon weep, but I cannot hear them for they are buried. No pun this time, in reverence for the fools who messed with Link.

Oren begins his new career as HM "User". He doesn't like the s word, and I don't care enough about making fun of him to argue.
Two badges this time, just because Watson was such a pushover. Really, everything was a pushover. I should grind a bit less for Flannery, but again, 4 water types.

Last edited:

Jimcloud

Administrator
Administrator
🌱Featurer
🎇Contributor
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Pronouns
they/she
oh HELL yes!! Look at James!!! I'm so proud of him! My boy!!! He's so good!!!

Nice job with the gym and with Wattson. You're making progress at a blistering clip, I love it.

Good luck with team whichever the fuck and Flannery coming up.

DestinyDragonGS

Some guy on the internet
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is very relaxed and enjoys analyzing things. This Pokemon is also quick to snark at anything that gives it an opportunity
Shock of all shocks James is serving you well and you have a potential Aggron. I'd put that picture that explains why Aggron is the fucking best here. But I'm pretty sure that uses every curse in the book. Sooooo you'll have to look it up yourself Just search Aggron is the best pokemon you'll find it pretty quickly. As if you weren't destroying the game enough. Now to add team magma to the list of those who fall to The Hero of TIme's might.

Lumaeus

Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Brave
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Cute
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon is trying its best to fight the good fight.
BIG NOTE: More than half of your images are displaying the "The image you are requesting does not exist or is no longer available" message for me. If this isn't just a my end thing, please look into it so everyone can share in your glory.

James is the man. I have never been disappointed with Dustox. May your path be the same.

Glaedr

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
Water, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Gotta post another update before I completely forget what my screenshots mean.
@Jimcloud: hey hey hey, not so loud. I don't want him to hear all that positive reinforcement nonsense. And I honestly though you dubbed my party "Team whichever the fuck" and I was so onboard.
Yeah, the turbo button is a pathway to many powers some would consider to be... unnatural. Also, missing a bunch of screenshots. I'm getting better, but you probably won't see that until the Weather Institute.

@DestinyDragonGS: HOLY shit man that image is legendary. Also yeah, it might break the forum rules for a few reasons. Freya is a beast, but I am worried about her special defense. She probably couldn't take a STAB water type, so I'll just have to be careful.

@Lumaeus: Big Note? Titanic Note. Just when I thought I was getting the hang of things, this happens. You have saved my life, my dude.

mfw editting each update as fast as humanly possible

It was more of a rock. The move is called rock smash, after all. I don't have the necessary badge to smash an entire boulder.

Ain't I a stinker?

This here is Dave. I found him drowning in two and a half inches of water near a 7/11 on route 117. I snagged him and sent him to the box. He's safer this way.

Jagged Pass. He tried to bar my passage, challenging me to a game of riddles. I asked, "What do you call a three-legged Rayquaza with a headache?" Luckily, Grigori suplexed Iota before he had a chance to answer. Everyone knows the answer that riddle. Anyway, where was I? Oh right. Boxed.

Nice. I got this show-off on that one ashy place. Very happy with this capture, even if I already have a steel type.

James gets better confusion. This is also like, the second last move he learns. Bug pokemon seem to burn bright and short. Also, hahaha i just realized that James's max HP is the funny haha number.

Nice, a swablu. I've never used on before. If the sixth gym proves anything, it's that Altaria is a beast. I can't wait to finally use a drago-

Damn you James. Damn you to double hell. This was a 2HKO, and the second hit was a crit. On a lvl16 from a lvl24. James is falling off hard.

My scenic jaunt into the falls was interrupted by a frankly ill-prepared flash mob of cosplayers. What's the theme? Horned devils vs Pirates? What are the red guys supposed to be? What's the lore? I luckily didn't encounter anything. I'm thinking about returning much later for a Bagon. I want a dragon, damn it!

Also this happened. Vincent is still a killer, but he took my advice and adopted a false smile. Nothing I could do about the eyes, though. Still dead. A hollow simulacrum of Pokemanity. A crude facade of decency.

Freya took out Maxie's Mightyena and Zubat, even with the Intimidate debuff. Not to be outdone, Grigori attacked the fire camel. He got outsped and dropped to 29HP... Then Camerupt survived the x4 weakness STAB bubblebeam, which makes me feel like I'm using some third-rate pokemon. This team is gonna need a revamp at some point. The smart choice would be to switch out and let a true water pokemon (Link) deal with the threat, but Grigori is a prideful imp. He goes for the bubblebeam.

Luckily, he got the speed drop so he outsped. Humpy goes down.

Got this tyke while flying down the mountain full tilt. Could be useful, I guess. He's my only psychic type.

My man James is struggling with level sixteens. He can't even 2 shot them, and he isn't gonna get more useful. I box him in favor of Viveca. She has basically the same speed, attack, and defense as James, but she's also 10 levels lower. Given the exp share for now.

These images speak for themselves.

I demand combat with the gym leader, but she pretends that she doesn't hear me, despite sitting ten feet away. When I make it to her, no mercy.

Huh? What do you mean she has four pokemon? Are you insinuating that I took far fewer screenshots than I should have?
Camerupt got some attack off, but it obviously didn't matter much.

It's female as always, which is annoying. Link outspeeds, and takes Torkoal just under half. Torkoal attracts Link. It could have been terrible, except that Link is not easily swayed by the power of a vile temptress. He defeats her with a stoic mudshot.

Hell yeah. Once Wren realizes her true draconic origins, she will Wren'd her opponents with unnatural vigor. I've never used a Flygon either. Also...

Adult Link. Large, wide, impossibly buff. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.
Now I must return home, preferably in the longest way possible, despite literally just opening the Rusturf Tunnel. That's right, I'm going with Briney.
On the way, I get pulled over.

Aw come on, that's gotta be an exaggeration. Wait, how did you say (s) with your mouth?

That is an oddly conservative estimate, but technically not wrong.

Unnecessarily rude, dude. If you want to get mad at someone, how about the guy that gave a ten-year old something that was unironically called "Mach Bike"? Does that seem responsible?

This is the true test. Hold fast, or expire.

Close call against rando trainer. I couldn't grind Freya to the level I wanted her, because the only pokemon that are worth any xp are in the desert area(so ground) or numel(also ground)
She'll catch up soon though. Neither of us are giving up on an Aggron just yet. For now, we'll let Link handle things.

Now I enter the grand cathedral. I cast my eyes upon my surroundings. The polished floor, the open arena. My father sits atop his grand dais, idly watching my trepidatious approach. The setting sun glints through the ancient stained glass behind him, casting an amber glow about the room. The stagnant air stirs at my every motion, and beads of sweat soon sew themselves upon my stony features. I reach his roost, cast my eyes upon him, and speak:

"Yo pop let's get to it."

First three pokemon drop in the blink of an eye. Linoone outsped, but Link suffers no weaklings.
Let's talk about Slaking.
Originally he and Link were destined to trade blows, but Slaking started with a Yawn.
I switched in Vincent, and hit Slaking with a Supersonic. It actually hit, and I think everyone in the room was surprised. I realized afterward that Vincent wasn't going to do much else.
I switched in Viveca, to hopefully get a few defense buffs from steel wing, but I hurriedly changed my mind when she got hit with a faint attack. The attack wasn't even STAB, and it did quite a bit. I was worried what a facade would do.
I switched in Freya. His only fighting move was counter, so I had to be careful. I had her spam Mud Slap until his accuracy wouldn't drop any lower. He didn't use counter since his accuracy was garbage. He resorted to Faint Attack, which was resisted by Freya. Then Freya hit Slaking with two Rock Tombs to slow him.
I switched in Grigori. With the Rock Tomb speed debuffs, he was able to outspeed. He used tail whip until I decided it wasn't safe to continue.
Finally, I switched King Link back in. Two mud shots slew the beast.

This doesn't look entirely too bad, but I had to heal Link while Freya was still in. Also, Slaking was only level 31, and all of this damage was from him.
Basically, the enemy having only one pokemon remaining really opens them up to abuse. Imagine if Slaking was able to switch out and back in. Actually, don't imagine that. It's too disturbing.

In other news, I'm finally not horribly over-leveled. Yay.
So yeah, two badges again. Still no deaths, but it's getting tougher. Next update will be that gauntlet to the sixth gym, and Winona herself. Maybe I'll add in some stuff with the Teams.

Bonus: I forgot what these images are supposed to mean. I think the geodude was gonna be a joke about Robo, and I think I was gonna remark how weird Skarmory looks from behind. Make of that what you will.

Last edited:

Jimcloud

Administrator
Administrator
🌱Featurer
🎇Contributor
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Pronouns
they/she
Nice catches, "nice" cycling, nice job on Flannery and Norman. it's real ironic you boxed James just before Norman saying he wasn't gonna get better, though, because like... just saying, that's when Dustox is most useful in Emerald, bar none.

Dustox learns Protect, and with Protect you can completely fucking obliterate Slaking since it's got Truant and all. Just tap it every other turn and boom, Slaking dead.

Like don't get me wrong, your method worked too, it was just... a lot more effort.

Lumaeus

Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Brave
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Cute
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon is trying its best to fight the good fight.
^What they said. James was, is, and will be the answer for all troubles you could encounter in Hoenn. But I forgive you.

HEY, be more careful with Grigori. Sure, bubblebeam might have gotten the speed debuff, but what if it hadn't been enough? Huh? What then? I am not prepared for a death right now.

Grats on the badges and on the defeat of the Beast king.

DestinyDragonGS

Some guy on the internet
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Maybe you should use your terrifying cycling skills to beat the league.

So are you going to take on Rayquaza?

Also if you want to find more images like that Aggron just search Pokemon extreme advertising

Glaedr

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
Water, Steel
Pokédex Entry
>>
-

<<
-

Imma pretend I didn't leave this here for two months

@Jimcloud Shoot you might be right about that. This whole "Using multiple moves in a facsimile of strategy" sounds like some sort of propaganda to me.

@Lumaeus James may find himself upon this team again. Just maybe..
Also you right about Grigori. He can learn too many HM's to risk killing.

@DestinyDragonGS JUSTICE CRASH! I warned y'all I'm a master. Yeah, that draco-beast gotta go down. I shudder thinking of doing Rayquaza's bike puzzle with turbo on.

Sometimes, I believe I harbor a beast within my mind. After all, how could I possible commit this grievous error? My dear Freya, you do not die here.

"My name's Barely Alen. I'm the Flashtest Man alive." - BarelyAlen, caught in the New Mauville office space.

Why am I not a nice person?

I'm swiftly running out of invisible items of which I can remember the location. Now how will I convince people I'm good?

Woah, its like foreshadowing, but in real life!

Some actual news here! Freya... My battle standard! My cause! My everything! Lead me to GLORY!

I suppose that a Zigzagoon was inevitable. Look at how happy Jack is to be tossed unlovingly into the void, from whence he shall never return.

Breloom coulda been cool, but I think GameFreak forgot flying type exists.

I'm weak for Shelly. She, on the other hand, is just weak.

Listen here, buddy pal. You've got a storm coming.

Yeah, you shoulda waited until the rain stopped.

Viveca getting some love this update with all these grass men. Look at her eyes. So tired from all the hard work. Poor birb.

Oh, she did not, you grasping whelp. Get out of my sight.

Damn, I really don't remember being this mean to these guys.

Aaaand there's the Poochyena. I dodged him early on, but he managed to ease his way into my box all the same.

Oh fuc i gotta hurry so i dont miss the slumber party

But first... I didn't get the nickname screen because I accidentally named the Dodrio "Lawrencf". Lawrencf will spend the rest of his days in the bocks.

AHHHh. Ah. Time to gym or die trying. Team is good enough. I got two steel types, one of which totally jukes Altaria's Earthquake. EZPZ

Q-tip gets dunked, out comes bigger Q-tip. Time to activate secret technique "Two Steel Types"

Oh god oh fuck. This was a swift spam. I don't even remember what Altaria used, but Winona used every single potion on this mon.

Thinking she has me on the ropes, Winona sends out a banana to finish my mecha dragon. Never a great move...

...especially because I have a great steel bird mechanic on speed dial.

Air cutter hit once, missed once, and crit once. A rollercoaster of one move, which ended with a dead seagull. As it should.

Should be pretty easy. Large level advantage, insane defense, x4 resistance, Skarmory doesn't resist rock.

...Why does rock tomb have the same accuracy of Sheer Flippin Cold? What a slug fest this was. It was probably 7 or 8 turns of these wet noodles whacking eachother at dismal speeds.

So do I go for it?
Can Freya tank another hit?

We'll never know. Sic em, Link. hell yeh

Am I in time for the slumber party?

Mt. Piar catch. Pair. Pear. Pyer. I may use Selena, if one of these chuckleheads die.

Oh, thats how you spell it.

Every Hoenn nuzlocke harps on this(even the OG nuzlocke) so I'm gonna go a different route. The old couple here say that Maxie and Team Magma took the Blue Orb. I like to think that Archie showed up after following team magma, saw the red orb and just said "Eh screw it. This'll do...probably"

Another fight so soon... You're nowhere near ready to face me again.

Nope.

Man, this makes me tear up more than it should. The way she gets all nostalgic, and the fact that this is the last battle we have with her. Good stuff, GameFreak.

The bear necessities, the simple bear necessities...
Never losing a fight makes you really rich, huh. Also, I usually replace healing items with grinding, so I'm not spending much either.

Quiver before my bling.

I inspired this ne'er-do-well cosplayer with a quick assbeatin. Just like we used to do in my day.

Damn this is hilarious. What did this person do that they couldn't just wait for me at the bottom of the stairs? What horrendous wrongdoing could this grunt have possibly perpetrated against the Team Magma name?

V. Maxie

I like how Steel type is just so good that I don't even need to explain how this went.

I mean, even a water gun...
More importantly, what is wrong with Link's shoulder?

Freya got confused, but no flying attack was really gonna put a dent in this paragon of tank.

Drugs. For the pokemon, of course. I'm only ten.

Thanks for yelling the important parts. Next time, could you also highlight and circle them? Ty

I'm not even gonna use this. I just grabbed it to flex on people who trigger the electrodes.

This line is raw as fuck. I black out for a few seconds every time I get haymaker'd by this shark of a man's declaration. Then I launch him clear to the stratosphere, and my alpha male status is reinstated.

Green Bug Lady! Dragon Baby!
-made a rhyme for my Wren

Also i want a bug dragon

Shadow Tag Wobbuffet caused me to actually let go of turbo for a moment, as I tried to negotiate myself out of a dead baby dragon. Gamefreak? Why?

Another close call. All of this damage was self-inflicted by double edge while grinding. Grigori's bloodlust will end with him in an early grave. I need to leave Hoenn before that happens. I don't need Vincent on my case.

Or I could box Grigori in favor of this fella! Seth, Dragonslayer. You shall be my Drake-Bane. Now I only need to worry about the other three members. And the Champion. Hoo boy.

One slash. STAB, but not a crit. These close calls are draining my karma. Actually these are two separate close calls back to back, I think. Just based on health and XP. Wren is simply turgid with determination.

I think its time

MMmmm actually gonna grind. I remember this gym being the worst.

I was gonna try to spam Surf with Grigori and Link, but Link is attack based and Grigori is just soooo weak. That probably would have been a wipe

*Me spending a week or so grinding and looking for a good partner for Link*

K now I'm ready.

I went with Link and Vincent Surf spam. Genius, me. Genius. Claydol just got wrecked by turn 2, and I got a lucky crit on Xatu. No one used Sunny Day, which is sweet, and Solrock died charging a Solar Beam which would without a doubt have killed Link. Lunatone died the next turn of Tuberculosis, which was lucky. For us I mean. It was awkward because we were sort of obligated to go to the funeral, but I still got the badge.

Forget this gym, man.

Next Update coming in 2022, and it'll prob go up until E4!

Glaedr

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
Water, Steel
Pokédex Entry

Don't look at me. Maxie is the one who suggested the A:TLA live action movie. I wanted to watch the prequels

Uhh. Sorry, if I could just eeeeeaaassee past ya there, fellas.

I couldn't hear what Wallace said as I got flashbanged as soon as he opened his mouth. Either that, or I'm just bad at screenshotting

I was no match for the speed of the WOKE dragon. It escaped. For now. Next time, you and me. On sight. To the death.

Pokemon Jesus movie when? GameFreak was teasing Poke Religion one generation early

Got a lad who was actually a ladette. I'll call it good on water captures for the east side of Hoenn cuz I don't wanna bother

They usually don't say that. You know, because of the implication.

The first of many this update. Wren is squishier than most pokemon I'm accustomed to using, but she's so damn cool I'm pretty sure she can't die

Training these steel types and dragon types left me so strapped for xp I had to endure the rapids beyond Pacifidlog Town.

Aggron's got a wonky moveset. Freya can learn most special TM's I have, but her special attack stat is by far her worst

The CHONK becomes just a bit CHONKier

The CHONKier becomes the Paragon of CHONK

I spent irl days before this gym grinding up a team of a few different mons just to make sure that I wouldn't wipe. Let's hope it pays off

Never ever have I used one of these things. Not a fantastic moveset, but that's nothing new for Gen III

Just wanna point out that I did the puzzles correctly on my first try, lest any of you mere mortals supposed you were as great as I...

But I like XP so I'm here.

Yo Juan got a league of trapped brainwashed women locked in a freezer while he lures them into his ice maze with his charm. Dark, GameFreak

Oh, I seen it, the poke FED's are on their way. But first

Hours of work to get a varied strong team, and I practically sweep anyway. Good job Link, I guess.

I literally only send out Wren so it's not just another Link sweep. Let's hope Kingdra doesn't have Ice Beam

Wren'd

He then tripped running from the feds and froze in his freezer. Justice is served

Don't worry, I think I get the gist.

Where's my red carpet, serfs? Also pictured: the last thing Grigori will ever do

Link had to restrain his massive power. As it was, Ricardo nearly perished just from the overwhelming presence of a golden god. In da bocks wit ya

Megamind(2010)

Gimme your best, bro

Disappointed, but not surprised

Throwing this heap a bone, just to up the numbers of evolutions this updoot

I crushed a man today. Not his body, no. That remains comparatively intact. It was his spirit. I could see it the moment his last Pokemon fell. A hollow, sunken visage lie, in despair. His retreating footsteps left imprints of a solemn sort. Yet, even as I watched him, the victory mine, I knew that truly, no one won here.

Damn, screw Victory Road. What a gloomy bin

I'm here, baby. I left Meteor Falls until now so I can get a Bagon, cuz what this team needs is another dragon. Never had a Salamence

Deng. No pseudolegendary for me.

At least I was in the right place. Do you know where Serebii told me to look for a bagon? "Deep in Meteor Falls." Up yours man

Only took me 5 hours, but I'm here, baby

Shooouuulda taken more screenshots. Link whiddled down Rayquaza with Ice Beam, while Rayquaza wasted time with Extreme Speed. Both combatants were low. Then, Rayquaza used Rest...
So I sent out Seth who Blizzard'd all over Rayquaza's sleeping form. PokeZeus Status: Deaded

Next up is E4, and I'll do Steven as well, if I make it.

Glaedr

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
Water, Steel
Pokédex Entry
who's ready for this tournament arc? i know i'm not

that's all it takes? why did i spend so long grinding?

The CHONK is back and ready to kill. I got this bad boy loaded up with Ice Beam. He's got other moves like Surf and Body Slam, but Ice Beam is the main selling point. Since water goes even against ice, he could be useful for the dual Glalies. A late addition from Shoal Cave.

Bite, Fire Blast, Dragon Claw, Earthquake.
Could be useful for Phoebe, as Bite is my only dark type move. I don't know why, but Wren seems very squishy. Her defenses and health don't seem to lag too far behind Link's, and Link is pretty durable. As you can tell by the rest of my team, I generally favor tankier slow mons, so this is a nice and somewhat stressful way to shake things up.

Surf, Earthquake, Mud Shot, Ice Beam.
Link's always been there for me with his monster attack. He gained EQ just in time for this challenge, and I think it's gonna be up to snuff. Ice Beam for coverage, but if Seth can't handle it, we're in trouble. A staple in every playthrough of Hoenn I can remember, I know Swampert probably better than I know any pokemon. Which isn't saying much.

Rock Tomb, Double Edge, Iron Tail, Brick Break
Aggron has a large amount of coverage available with TM's, but her SpA is frankly awful. Just sticking with the classics. That defense stat is the highest stat I have by a long shot, and her Attack isn't at all shabby. It's a good thing there's no Phys/Spec Split yet. She's got the no recoil ability, so Double Edge is double sweetness, and Brick Break should cover sydney. Possible back up for Glacia, but Freya can probably only take one surf, and only if it isn't from Glacia's Walrein.

That's the best pun I got? Pathetic
Psychic, Psybeam, Confuse Ray, Magic Coat
Georgie is here because we have an open slot. Not much to say. If we are pressed into using him, we're probably in a tight spot.

Hot Dog! Bet ya'll didn't see this coming. Or maybe it was too obvious. I really was running out of ideas on who to use, because I'm pretty sure the first four pokemon are my only real chances at winning this thing. James can stall a bit, because I finally took the suggestion to teach him Protect. I'll probably throw him a bone vs Sydney.
Toxic, Protect, Psychic, Silver Wind.

freya can handle this clown. brick break unconditionally walls this fool.

i think he knew that, leading with intimidate. still not up to snuff, however.

switched freya with link to remove debuff and protect freya from some devastating water attack.

two grass/dark types, must be james' lucky day. silver wind wrecks cacturne, but shiftry started banging up on the bugman

did manage to get two rounds of toxic off first, and then 2hko with dragon claw

and we end with what we intended. a clean one shot

this dude is annoying. literally just exists to drain pp and maaaaybe curse you.

second asshole has ice move. gets healed, then nearly kills wren. eat salt water, nerd.

iron tail cleans up the rest of the fight. i forgot a few screenies, but it was just another banette and a sableye

accidentally led with freya. corrected myself and used the first of many earthquakes this update

freya comes back to punch a hole in an iceball, before once again swiftly retreating from a walrus

big ol' battle with walrein, basically surf vs earthquake, and freya punches another block of ice

seth did exactly what you think he did. pretty clean sweep, even though kingdra was trying to get froggy with him

used some pp restoration. i always save my ethers and elixirs for the e4, thats the only time pp really comes into play

earthquake because all this pp is burning a hole in my pocket.

wait, what?

anyway 5 mons between me and championship

wren deals a solid chunk with dragon claw, but ludicolo giga drains. seth comes out and says "chill out" and we all laughed

tentacruel? more like tentadrool

james actually pulled this off. he toxic'd, then protected and psychiced until whiscash dropped

nothing for this. link's ice beam wouldn't have done the job

two earthquakes, and i'm champ

i knew i was forgetting something. sorry m8

only took me eighty four hours boiz

but wait

there's more

last mon. named wizard cuz i let my sister name it

some "quick" grinding involving rematches and exp share

like, hours of grinding or something. maybe even a day or two. thank you rematch. steven's mons are in the eighties, so i'm actually gonna have to play it smart. taught freya lightning bolt and switched her hard rock for a magnet. skarmory has flying, so freya will lead. seth with ice beam for the fossils, earthquake for the steels, lightning bolt for the bird. and i'll give wizard a chance to do something because he took forever to grind

actually, i overestimated you. apparently your mons are mid seventies. ezpz

man, that SpA is atrocious. three lightning bolts. at least the first one paralyzed. gj freya, your work is done

ice isn't good against bug or rock? i never remember how ice matches up

surf'd because seth was still in the icu

earthquaked, then surfed because aggron has got that spicy defense

this took two meteor mashes, because i'm lucky and got the attack boost on the first use.

close call here. of course, excluding a crit, there wasn't any room for luck because wren is far faster and earthquake is an obvious kill

call it like it is, steven. we're not strong. we're the strongest. but more importantly, we win.

oof i'm gonna miss these fellas :(

thanks for reading!

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker and Nuzlocke Completionist
🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Joined in a tiny bit late, still enjoyed every minute of it. Great first run, casual, fun, comic, and most important... James made it to the end :P (even though you didn't take him to the battle against Steven for some reason).

But seriously, well done!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)