• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Seven of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode concludes one reading and premiers another. Also, we brought back several guests for an extra long discussion segment!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Tailsimp

A Universally Under-Rested University Imp
🎇Contributor
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Tailsimp: The Impish Pokemon. Despite being quiet and reserved, this pokemon is usually very happy to talk and is always excited to help out!
these comments are really such fuel to a fire that i think was going out right before the climax of the run.
Ahhhhhh! I'm so glad my comments could help bring back your fire a bit! I'm still admidtly far from catching up, university is so much work and I'm an imp of very little spoons but I can't wait to get to the climax of this story and see what's in store!!!

Okay so, now on to chapters 5 & 6!

I don’t have a funeral for her.
Ooooof. That's such a powerful starting line. For some reason I didn't wonder much about the afterwards of Josey pulling the plug, but this makes so much sense for her. In fact, everything leading up to this tells me this is fitting, and probably for the best for Josey. It feels like she's had years to greive this loss in a sense, so it really is time for her to move on. Despite that though, I really like this little bit here-
It’s . . . nice. They make it a bigger deal than it needs to be, but at least they’re kind.
-because Josey is clearly jaded as hell, but can still accept and appreciate kindness when it comes to her. It's a little touch, but it's so easy for characters like this to be all edges, and this little moment of appreciation goes a long way.

The talk between her and Marshel was really good. The way they played off each other was engaging to read, and I love how Josey took credit for keeping the letters despite originally wanting to get rid of them lmao. It's also both cool and terrifying to see that whatever the hell happened in Virbank has made it so high up the ladder. It's good they're taking it seriously.... but it's scary that this is an event they have to take seriously.

Moving on from that though, I really love how, while the passing is a bit somber, the mood quickly picks up as Josey starts to actually look to the future. We've only spent 4 chapters with this character but it feels so good to see her looking forward to the future instead of feeling like she's destined to drown with a chain to her foot. The sequence where she talks about her future pay raise, the move, the debt going down, and getting a new bed had me so excited for her. And the final line of the chapter-
But I don’t. My eyes are focused forward. I pack. I get my tickets in order. I send my things ahead and come Monday, I meet Marshal by the pier—no pirates around—and I’m off on a ferry to Castelia. And in the end?

I don’t look back.
just makes me so excited for her to get to the next chapter of her life.

So can I just say? I love Magnets. I love that he stowed away to follow Josey, I love his flippant attitude, and I love everything about this exchange
Magnets doesn’t care. Zips of electricity zap from the ends of his magnets with unconcealed glee, and I drop my face into my hands.
In theory I wanted Josey to have a smooth transition to her new city, but this is the freakin best lmao. Besides, the cottonee has the distinct honor of causing the most trouble That was a super clever way to incorporate that pokemon too! Shout out to candy being a good little Cottonee until
Whozawhatcha got you killed. At least you got to spread chaos for Josey in the story; the way we should all strive to be remembered honestly.

Ingo was really interesting to see. I feel like I don't ever see much done with the train pair, so it was cool to see him, and see how you characterized him. I liked that he was willing to help out, but not in a way that screwed him over, and he's not afraid to note that he could have left Josey high and dry when she gets huffy about it. A nice dude, but one that doesn't seem ready or willing to put up with any bullshit. I feel like the two could get along if they got the chance. I do hope we'll see him again!

The ending of this chapter once again gets me so excited for this change. As Josey is going over everything new in her life, ending off with
I’m here.

I’m making it.

And for once, there’s no one to drag me down.
I just can't wait to see how it goes! Clearly there will still be things to deal with, but damn if it isn't nice to have some hope while dealing with those things!

-Side note, I couldn't find a good place to put this in the comment proper but this little sequence
I flash the receipt to the cinder dick that wasn’t going to let me on board in the first place. The conductor grimaces, and I smugly brush by.
had me giggling like a madwoman. It's so petty, and Josey ultimately still got the short end of the stick, but this is still freaking great.

I'm reading at a snail's pace, but I look forward to reading more!

MouseWithADinosaurTail

A Comedian At Heart
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
She's like a sea urchin. Tough and prickly on the outside, but delicate and easily wounded if hit the wrong way. Please handle gently.
My readthrough of GitM continues, and I am loving it just as much as always! I'm up to chapter 13 now I think, I just finished the one where Josey and Audrey make out in the bar, and it's so fuuuunnnn!!!! I have to say, now that I'm further in, it's fascinating to see the structure of this nuzlocke unfold. It's so untraditional, but it's a good change of pace! Josey is a nuzlocke protag who isn't even on a nuzlocke adventure. She's just kinda living her life, happening to catch random pokemon and teetering on the edge of starting an adventure but always veering right back into the every day grind. Iris was basically DARING her to become a nuzlocke protagonist and Josey was just like nope haha. It's fun!

That being said, GitM is nothing if not INTERESTING. The Icirrus gym was pretty fucking crazy. Like Virbank but worse.. The fun of Josey refusing to go on the nuzlocke adventure is you keep getting hints of what Team Plasma is up to, but because we're just following Josey in her life, we only get tastes of it. And the tastes are terrifying. The problem is getting worse, to the point that the damn queen has shown up to start dealing with it. It's terrible that Josey has to keep getting wrapped up in this stuff, I honestly feel terrible for her. But that fight between Seraph and the haxorus was the best. Watching Josey accidentally get into a fight with Champion Motherfucking Iris was even MORE terrifying than anything Plasma has thrown at us so far. I was scared for her life! Is Iris allowed to execute people?? I bet she is, whether it's in the Unovan legislation or not.

And the fucking Strange House. Jesus christ you went HARD on that chapter!!! I was biting my nails on the edge of my goddamn seat! Fucking TERRIFYING!!!! There are a good 15 chapters after that point but I legitimately thought Josey might die. I'm shocked all her pokemon made it out alive. Relieved, but shocked! The dead boys, the hypno, the FUCKING DARKRAI!?!?!?! CRESSELIA GETTING BLUDGEONED BY AN AXE?! JESUS! I am on the edge of my seat waiting to see how all this ties into the Plasma and kyurem plot. I'm getting the idea that your playthrough was on a randomizer (golett starter after all), so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we might catch this darkrai! That would be legit. Or was the chapter to represent that you encountered a darkrai in the wilds by Lentimas Town? I sure hope you had a pokedoll on you haha. So good!

The fun of this run is it's hard to tell exactly what's going on in the gameplay at any moment. It was pretty clear in the beginning, but we skipped the Virbank and Castelia gyms. And then from Nimbasa, we jumped to Icirrus and then straight to Lentimas. And back to Nimbasa. I think you mentioned in an A/N that things are somewhat out of order, so I'm kinda half-expecting for Josey to decide to take over the league and just go on a gym spree later on with her badass team of ghosts and eldritch horrors. I'd pay so much money to see this hoe stomp all of Unova under her rubber-toed working boots (or maybe stilletos if Audrey has any influence). But either way, this run is very, very fun.

Also Colress saying he can help with the League... What the fuck, I'm just 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀

Anyways, I'll read on! See you in a few chapters. This has been so, so fun. ^w^ Thanks for the good read!

MouseWithADinosaurTail

A Comedian At Heart
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
She's like a sea urchin. Tough and prickly on the outside, but delicate and easily wounded if hit the wrong way. Please handle gently.
Just finished chapter 15, popping back in to say two things.

2. I love the evolution of Josey's relationship with her pokemon as the run has gone on. And the way she's changed makes complete sense to me. When the run started, it was clear that she did love Golem deep down and Golem was her friend. But he was also just a helper, a relic left behind by her deadbeat feather. She didn't really treat him like a friend. But now, we've come so far, and as Josey's life has gotten crazier and shittier, her pokemon have really stood by her. Golem fought for her against Cheren, came with her to Nimbasa, kept her company, protected her from trainers and the sigilyph. Seraph has protected her too a ton, to the point that she relies on him now for protection, ESPECIALLY from Iris, damn. And she's done battling with Boulder and Magnets and even Lazarus a little. Overall, both in battling and in companionship, her pokemon have been an irreplaceable beacon of support throughout this whole mess, and it's nice to see Josey come to openly appreciate them more and more! Golem especially. ^w^ Gosh, that moment with Hugh when she says "Golem is special BECAUSE he's Golem." What a treasure! And of course, it was clear she always did care about them. She let Magnets eat the electricity, took care of Boulder when he was sick. But there's a difference now. She's gone from telling Golem "Thanks for not costing me money' because he doesn't eat, and now in a lot of scenes we get moments of Josey making sure all her pokemon are fed before setting out in the morning. That's such a significant difference to me. And then her calling her pokemon "the boys" or "kids" and that one line where she calls herself a mom. Hahaha, she really is an accidental mom of six, huh! And it's always fun to see her fight with them and get really into wanting to win. These aren't all details that are on the forefront in this story, but they're there and they're clear, and I really appreciate them. It's nice to see the changes.

This is probably the worst idea ever, but casually crossing my fingers for a deathless run. >w<

Okay, reading on!

MouseWithADinosaurTail

A Comedian At Heart
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
God, that final scene where she's sobbing... I felt that.

MouseWithADinosaurTail

A Comedian At Heart
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
Oh maaaah fuckaaaaan GAAAAAWWWD! THIS RUN IS NUTS! I just wrapped up Chapter 23 and am planning to catch up fully today, so Imma leave a comment before I read on.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing in this story. Josey has so much snark and a hard shell that it can be hard to tell who she loves, what she loves, and how much she loves them at times. But god, by god, this girl really has so much love in her. It doesn't always come out, and it doesn't always look it, but she really, really does. She loves her pokemon so much. She loves her family so much. She was always calling Seraph that dumbass bird, but it slowly became clear over time that she did love that bird. And seeing Seraph die, and poor Josey's reaction.. It was so painful. It's hard to see that the deaths of Josey's pokemon aren't her fault, but they come about from mistakes. They were both preventable. Golem died because she tried to fight the ninja instead of running, a ninja that would have let her go anyway. Seraph died because she went into the Chasm when she shouldn't have, and maybe just maybe if she'd turned to Quasar instead... That's what makes them hurt, but it's nothing I blame her for. In the heat of the moment, you just have to make a decision, ANY decision. And she saved those kids lives. That's why I say she has so much love in her. She didn't have to protect Elesa but she tried. She didn't have to save those kids but she did. She didn't have to let any of these goofy pokemon stay in her apartment and leech off the electrical outlets and bust holes through the balcony door catching pidoves but she did. And the contrast of her assholish, lone wolf exterior to that interior that's just overflowing with love; it's so strong and so, so powerful.

That's why I say hindsight is powerful. When I first started reading this story, I couldn't understand why Josey would go into insurmountable debt to keep her mother alive for two years, all the while seeming to hate her mother for it. I didn't think it was a big deal that she threw away her family's stuff; I'm a minimalist, so I agreed that hey, if there's not much a use for it, maybe it should go. But no, that wasn't it. She loves her mom and her dad and her family so, so much, even now. It hurt that her mom was comatose because she wanted her here. It hurt that her dad ran off to Giant Chasm and left her because she wanted him home. She still wants them home. Those feelings were so harshly aggravated by Golem's death, and it's only getting worse, and it's so sad to watch. When she found those photos and cried, and you learn the origin of the little saying "Stay rosy, Josey"... Man.

That's mainly what I wanted to say, but I'll drop one more comment cause it was on my mind. I fucking love how the story is written after Josey gets out of Giant Chasm. It's always such a fantastic touch when a character is becoming unhinged and the narration ITSELF becomes unhinged. It's IMMENSELY powerful! And when Josey was in Drayden's house and losing her fucking mind, that was awesome. The narration was going buck fuckin wild even while Josey was seemingly keeping a hold on her composure on the outside, and I was having a blast trying to figure out what tf was going on. At one point it seemed like she was melding with everyone in the room. At another it seemed like she was melding with IRIS. And then it was all Kyurem, and it became clear what was happening, and DAMN that dragon is fucking pissed. Kyurem and Iris are kind of foils of each other, aren't they? Cold motherfuckers who were left behind and treated as nothing by their family, who are bloodthirsty and looking for a little revenge. I like it. I LIKE IT.

I'm off to catch up now, so this my next comment will most likely be my last (until more content is released OwO). Till then, stay rosy, Whoza!

Edit: I forgot to mention. My mom asked me what I've been reading all day, so I tried to explain the plot of GitM without mentioning it's pokemon fic. And she promptly assumed I was making the whole thing up because "a story that ridiculous can't possibly exist." X'3

Last edited:

MouseWithADinosaurTail

A Comedian At Heart
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
It was as I was reading the fight between Hugh and Josey that I realized how far into the future the poisons of the royal siblings' feud has spread. Hundreds of years ago, Cain, Abel, and Suha fought, and the damage and pain and poisons of that fight are still trying to work themselves out even now. The ghosts of a brother and sister long dead scream at each other through the mouths of two best friends. Their dragons corrupt innocent people in their anger. MORE people, selfish people, are sucked into the vortex of hate in pursuit of power. It's so, so fucked and no one here in the present day is responsible for starting it.

The dragons are terrifying. The connections between them and their hero, it's not a relationship. It's downright brainwashing. The scene in which Zekrom brainwashes Hugh to raze Humilau with her is horrifying. Watching Josey kill humans and pokemon for the sake of a dragon that killed her father and her sigilyph is awful. It's just awful. It's awful to watch her kill pokemon especially, cause she came so far because she hated the killing of pokemon, and to watch her values get obliterated because Kyurem has crawled into her head... It's just so awful, it's so sad. It's so horrible to watch the hatred of the past push Hugh and Josey against each other. It was horrible to watch N get killed for nothing. I didn't bat as much an eye watching that bitch Amettai (I hope i got her name right?) get got, but honestly.. Knowing what the dragons did to Josey and N and Hugh, it's pretty easy to imagine that she was just as brainwashed. How much of what we saw was Amettai and how much was Reshiram? Did we ever even MEET the real Amettai? Did we ever even meet the real N?

All of the people in this story are so fucked and horrible. Iris is horrible. Amettai is horrible. Cheren, Elsa, Ghetsis is horrible. Colress is FUCKING HORRIBLE. Seriously, while I'm on it, fuck Colress. I figured Colress was a traitor for a good wile (cause like, duh), but until that extra, I really did want to believe that somewhere in him, Colress really did care about Hugh. He did, but in such a horrible way. What a fucking bitch. He can choke. But for real, this world is so visceral and cruel. Everyone is so fucking awful. Except for Hugh and, dang, even Josey. Josey and her pokemon. I'm praying they make it out.

And, I'm caught up! Damn Whoza, your story had me on a fucking leash. I kept meaning to put it down all day but just HAD to keep reading and now it's almost 9 o clock! I'm gonna miss having chapters of this to binge. But for real, thank you for the incredible story. I can't wait to see how it ends. Fucking GET IRIS, JOSEY!!!! And, now I can stop spamming your thread, so that's probably a plus for you! :D

Until next time! Thanks again.

Whozawhatcha

i have too many projects
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 12, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pokémon Type
Fire, Flying
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Missy heLLO?? i love you and your comments?? and i will NEVER stop laughing at "the ultimate if god wants me dead he'll have to smite me himself drink".

@Tailsimp you fool. comments? be obnoxious?? at this length??? NEVER. And honestly, it's REALLY wonderful to see you enjoying the wham lines and seeing all the little different sides of Josey as this thing goes along. Uncle Marshal is FAV and you WILL see him more. And yeah, poor Candy the Cottonee. I think it lasted 3 levels? Unfortunate death. They get a tip of the hat but nothing else because they wouldn't have added too much otherwise. I take HUGE liberties at skipping around with this nuzlocke, but I think it really keeps people guessing and on edge.

Also, yes! Ingo and Emmett! I really like the train pair a lot with their designs, tho in game they're extremely flat characters, so it was fun to do something different with them! And yes, you'll be happy to know, Ingo DOES make reappearances. I think he's the character that surprised me the most in this run, because....I don't know, everything about him and the way he plays off of Josey was just the LAST thing I expected. You take your time with your pace and with your spoons! You've gotta be close to finishing school by now!

@MouseWithADinosaurTail HOOOOOOOLY FUCK YO are you OKAY??? sir! my good dude! i have been BOMBARDED and i am BURIED UNDER THE ATTENTION!! Holy shit bruh, I can't believe you devoured it all so fast! I can't POSSIBLY respond to all of that, holy god, but let me see:

The Darkrai (as i consult my notes) has like, 0 notes on it?? It just says "Caught Mr. Sandman the Darkrai" and I didn't even note where I caught him, hahaha. Definitely an afterthought pokemon in the gameplay. I know I did the nuzlocke regular, but I randomized the hidden grottos. And. Somehow the game decided to put ONLY LEGENDARIES into the hidden grottos! That's how I caught Quasar, and that's how I caught Sandman. I ended up killing the legendaries I didn't want for exp mining, but I did catch a few I liked, though almost all of them don't make appearances in the story. Mr. Sandman initially was going to be a one-off chapter, but then I realized I could use him, so I kept him.

Also, I was SHRIEKING when you said
This is probably the worst idea ever, but casually crossing my fingers for a deathless run. >w<

Okay, reading on!
And then IMMEDIATELY hit me with the all caps italicized bolded FUCK YOU. hahahaha god that was the best turn of events to happen ever, please don't hope for deathless, this was a bloody run. And I'm GLAD that unhinged writing is coming through! Really, it's so much fun to write (even if it is horrible) so I'm glad the impact is hitting you just right. And yeah! really, Iris is a foil for Josey, but that ties right back into them both being connected to Kyurem. Because Kyurem is empty and hungers for more and can't satiate itself, just like Iris's hunger for power is never enough for her, and how nothing ever really fills up Josey's emptiness. (Also, your mother is the best, 10/10.) Anyways, I hope you enjoy the end of this show when I get there!

“Bitches and gentlemen!
It’s show time!
Hurry, hurry, step right up!
Introducing the star of our show
His name is
Marshal!”

Business __ Eminem

That idiot girl is going to get herself killed!

Uncle Marshal scrambles to his feet, brain hazed and groggy from a disturbing dream. (He tries so hard not to think of Azu, but now his brother is at the forefront of his mind. Azu died in that Chasm, and by gods, if Josey goes after that dragon, she’s going to end up the same. He CAN’T let that happen.)

Marshal grabs Quasar and tucks him in close to his chest. (The dragon has her. He knows it does. She would have never left Quasar otherwise.) He hoofs it out of Drayden’s gym with Lotus. When he reaches the streets, he’s met with a haze of ice and smoke and screams.

To his right, he sees flames and white feathers. The battle is razing the city to the ground, and Reshiram howls in fury. Either Iris couldn’t move the battle away from the city, or she never intended to in the first place. Before him, it’s ice. The whole city. Large spikes of icicles protrude from the ground in a grotesque display of Kyurem’s might. The whole city is suffering. To his left, he sees the blimp, belching smoke and listing for the building tops. In his heart of hearts, he knows that’s where Josey is.

The cannon on the blimp glows. In its tilted free fall, the nozzle is pointed towards the gym. Marshal skids on his heels, lurches back inside, and slams the door shut.

The blast hits them and shakes the building. The people inside scream, and Marshal winces when ice cold ozone stings the air. Quasar wails.

“Shh, shh.” He pats the child of stars absently. He grabs the doorknob—frozen, he can’t twist it—and when he lets go, it rips some of his skin away. On the heels of it all, a thunderous crash sounds outside. Marshal’s heart drops.

Josey!

Quasar teleports from his hands. Marshal’s hands clench on nothing. “No! Quasar—QUASAR!” He bellows, but the Wish Maker doesn’t answer or come back. Shit, Josey’s going to have his head—

He points at the door. “Brick Break!”

Lotus leaps forward. The sawk’s powerful attack snaps the heavy wood doors like twigs, but behind it is ice. Nothing but a great, immovable wall of ice. “Break it down!” Lotus lunges ferociously. His arms shatter the ice in small portions, and Marshal looks around. In every window he can see, there’s opaque ice crusting over it. It feels like they’ve been entombed.

He grits his teeth in frustration. Caught off guard by Josey and forced to sleep through it all—and now imprisoned and he can’t get to her! He impatiently waits on his toes, ready to run through the opening Lotus is creating.

It takes too long, but Lotus smashes free. Marshal bolts through the tunnel and into the cold summer’s day. He looks, and he can see the smoke in the distance. He can see Reshiram, throat stretched high, bellowing to the sky like it’s lamenting.

He’s running. He feels like he can’t breathe around the terror clenching his heart, because if something happened to Josey while he was helpless—

He rounds the corner, and he sees Iris. She’s petting Reshiram like it belongs to her. Amittai—his stomach turns seeing Amittai’s body separated from her head. Drayden is there, hunched, like he’s been whipped of all his strength; he stares up blankly at the dragon of truth he so idolized.

Grimsley stands next to Amittai, telling her something Marshal can’t hear. He’s pale and waxy with fear. Where are Caitlin and Shauntal?

Iris smiles and reaches out to put her hand on Grimsley’s cheek. He shudders violently. “Thank you,” she says, and Marshal hears her as he approaches with feet like lead. “Lacunosa? If he’s hurt, he’ll be easy pickings. Finish him off. Find my Wish Maker. I have one more dragon to collect.”

The blood pounds in Marshal’s skull. Reshiram hisses down on him, and the bile of fear stings the back of his throat.

He remembers the heat, the way it burned, the way it consumed, the angelic dragon so merciless, and Amittai, razing the team he had loved, his breloom reduced to ashes—

Marshal locks his weak knees. “Iris,” he says, and his voice is raw. “What have you done?”

“I’ve brought this region one step closer to peace.”

Grimsley is slinking away. “Wait!” Marshal barks at him. “Where’s Shauntal? Where is Caitlin?”

Grimsley is a talented battler, but in the face of Iris, a coward. It’s not completely his fault—she came through as a challenger and made it a point to try to kill as many of their pokemon as possible. Grimsley nearly lost his position in the Elite Four due to his incapacitated team.

“Don’t worry about the baby bitches,” Iris says. Grimsley darts off when she gives him a glare. Then, she looks at Marshal, her smile full of teeth. “Caitlin is weak and afraid. Shauntal should take care of her shortly.”

Reshiram rumbles with threat. Marshal’s hands sweat, and Lotus lingers closer, watching him for guidance. “You’ve turned us against one another,” he says. She has Grimsley under the thumb of fear. Shauntal sided with her? But why? And Caitlin—she’s a prodigy of her time for psychic types. She has to win. Marshal can’t stand alone against the Champion.

“Yes,” Iris says, and she crosses her arms comfortably. She returns her hydreigon. She smiles when she pets Reshiram. The dragon shudders, feathers fluffing with agitation before falling flat. “You, however, were the one I could not get to fall in line where I needed him. It can’t be helped. You’re just as stubborn and stupid as your niece.”

His heart squeezes to pulp. “Where is she?” He hates that his voice breaks in front of her.

“She ran like the coward she is. Unfortunately she took my Wish Maker with her, but Grimsley will find it for me. Reliable one, that,” and she laughs in delight, an edge of mania coloring her voice. “He’s got balls the size of peas. He was always the easiest to control.”

Marshal’s hands clench. He can’t help Josey. He doesn’t know where she is, where to begin looking for her. And if she’s in the Chasm? That’s days out, easily a week’s travel. He’d never make it on time. He’s lost Hugh. He’s lost Quasar. He’s lost his Josey.

You let Azu walk into the Chasm. You never cared enough to stop any of them. They’re gone because you were too weak to hold onto them.

The battles most important to him, he’s always lost. That has to change.

“Lotus.”

His sawk leaps between him and Reshiram. A veteran. Lotus has been seared by the flames of truth before and lived to survive the tale. This time, they won’t make the same mistakes.

Iris’s eyes blacken. “Stand down, Marshal.” Her tone drips with derision. “I swept your team without a legendary dragon. This time, I won’t be so merciful.”

“I can’t let things keep going as they have,” he says. Despite how the fear is burrowing deep in his veins, his voice is strong. “You’ve destroyed this city in the name of power! How many citizens were caught in the crossfire, Iris?” Drayden has torn his eyes away from the dragon. The edge of defeat clouds his honey eyes, but that latent fire is sparking back to life as he stares at Marshal. “How many have you killed for this? When does the carnage stop?” Iris’s jaw strains, and her fists clench tight. Marshal hikes his chin up to her, because even devoured with murderous intent, he can see how she’s a slip of a disillusioned girl playing princess dress up.

“The time for your tenure as Champion has ended!”

She opens her mouth on a hellish scream. “You can pry it from my cold dead fingers!” She looks up at Reshiram.

“Blue Flare!”

“Endure!”

Marshal runs. He leaves Lotus at ground zero and ducks for cover. Fire scorches the earth, burns the air, and sucks the moisture away. The eruption is immense, and it leaves Marshal choking on smoke.

He leaps to his feet, because she took the bait. And there, standing in the center of a ring of cooked concrete is Lotus, wavering on his feet. Marshal’s bellow echoes through the streets.

“REVERSAL!”

Lotus leaps for the dragon, and Iris shrieks in fury. Reshiram bites at Lotus and misses. The fighting type darts, grabs the shackles around the legendary’s neck, plants his feet, and HEAVES.

The supernatural strength hoists the dragon of truth off the ground like it weighs as much as a kitten. Marshal watches with awed satisfaction as Lotus hefts it head over heels and slams it into the crashed blimp with an earth-shattering suplex.

Take that, you murderous bitch.

Reshiram keens and whines in agony as it struggles to find its feet. Marshal’s stuttering heart doesn’t let him soak in the brief triumph. He returns Lotus and switches out for his machamp, because even though he’s mortally wounded Reshiram, he’s going to have to deal with Iris’s team.

The Champion looks at him and bares her teeth with a hiss. She releases her first, an archeops, and Marshal swallows.

He sure hopes Drayden is going to help, or this is going to be very, very quick.

Hello, I hope y'all wondered what was going on with Marshal, so here's how his day is going! It's going....uh, great. Look, I had to explain why Reshiram was wounded (just like Zekrom and Kyurem are wounded) before the final battle, and it's so nice to see Marshal stop taking shit. Ngl, a little wonky writing his POV? But also very nice, because it really shows off how similar to Josey he is.

Also, if Uncle Marshal has a boxing ring entrance song? It's the opening to THIS song:

Missy

i left my heart in alola
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Tough
Pokédex Entry
just missy now
if marshal dies i kill rowan once and for all

Whozawhatcha

i have too many projects
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 12, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pokémon Type
Fire, Flying
@Missy uh, excuse you

“You wish you were someone else
Every night you fall to pieces
Knowing you can’t save yourself
I can see you
I can hear you

There’s a place where the broken go
There’s a room full of second chances
You’re not stranded on your own
You’re not invisible”

Invisible __ Disciple

It’s Suha and Shakti.

They’re fighting. Suha is raging, “They’ll never listen to me! I know how people treat me because I have a fucking cunt! I’ll never have their respect in this fucking body!”

Shakti holds Quasar. I know it’s my Quasar. He has the same blue eyes, the same big tears, the same little lip quiver. The darker queen snaps, “It’s not because you’re a woman that they don’t respect you, it’s because you’re a foreigner! You aren’t of our blood, and you crawled out of the Chasm cold and feral! Of course they fear you! They think that thing in there has possessed you!”

“It hasn’t!” Suha screams. She stands in petticoats ripped by hand, topless, the lace and stay torn apart in a whirlwind of fury. She says Kyurem doesn’t have her, but I see the unbridled anger, the hurt, the defensive lashing out she can’t escape. Frost coats the carpet and curtains. The bedroom is a monument to her grievances. “I can control it! It will listen to me! I’m done with being locked in this body! I won’t be cursed like this!” She slams her fist down and shatters a vase. Blood trickles down her palm.

“I love you as you are!” Shakti trembles, and her eyes are dark and fathomless. “Why do you need to change yourself so badly? You’re already perfect!”

“No I’m not!” She jabs a finger so viciously that blood droplets fly. “If I were a man, none of this would have happened to me!”

“If you try to murder your older brothers for the throne, it doesn’t matter what—!”

“I could have usurped the throne and ruled as a man! They would have me marry and lose my power as a woman!”

“You don’t have to—”

Suha’s feet are freezing to the floor. Her eyes are wild, and clouds of cold air swathe from her mouth. She rips at the skirts more. “I DESPISE these skirts! I despise keeping quiet in a man’s world! If the only way to have power and a voice is to be a man, then I will!”

Quasar begins to cry. He’s burying into Shakti, and she looks stricken. “Then it is not enough that I love you?”

“If the only reason you love me is because I have a cunt, then no!”

Shakti’s arms slack on Quasar. He falls to the floor, wailing. Suha’s teeth are bared, and she is unrepentant.

“Do you really believe you are a man trapped in a woman’s body,” Shakti finally asks, “or is it all some power grab?”

“I’m through with being treated like a lady,” Suha spits, and her tone is laced with dangerous ice. “Once I have the balls for it, those wretched knights will listen to ME. I’ll use the last two wishes to imprison the dragons again, and then, I’ll show you! I will scour this land in ice and snow! I will break Sidika and Ulku, and I’ll have Cain and Abel’s heads on a stick! I will unite the lands, and I will rule as the greatest king this country has ever seen!”

“But ONLY if I choose to marry you.”

Shakti’s voice silences Suha. The half naked, feral woman pants in the chill of the room, nipples puckered, eyes bloodshot like she hasn’t slept in weeks.

After a long moment, Shakti speaks again.

“Would you kill me too, in your pursuit for power? Or do you truly love me.”

Suha wets her lips. Her lower jaw works, and she says, “Of course I love you.”

“Do you?”

“You pulled me from the Chasm. You’ve always been the sun that keeps me warm. That will never change.”

Shakti visibly relaxes. Suha grits her teeth.

“And you? You would love me less because I choose to be a man?”

Her throat works before Shakti admits, “I do not know.”

Suha bares her teeth and growls. She paces the room that is freezing over. Snowflakes fall from a cloudless ceiling. She mutters indistinctly, clenching her hand full of glass and blood.

“But if you were a man.” Suha looks up. Shakti picks up Quasar who bubbles with teary hiccups. She walks across the room and offers the child of stars to Suha. “If you were a man,” she repeats softer. “What would you be called?”

There’s an imperceptible moment where the two women stand opposed in the frozen bedroom. Blood drips to the floor. Shakti shivers, but does not back away. Suha stares at the Wish Maker.

Then, he says, “My name would be Seth,” and he grabs the wishing tag.

The dreams fall apart into disjointed snapshots.

I see Seth, leading Kyurem in battle, and despite the dragon’s handicapped power, it ravages the front. There’s pokemon impaled on grisly ice. It makes statues of ice not unlike Medusa’s hair and statues of stone.

The elder brothers and their dragons make the mistake of not teaming up. Little sister Suha is just a cockroach to them. The dragon that escaped them almost died the last time. Cain and Reshiram land in battle, and Seth doesn’t bother meeting them.

He sits on his heels with the Wish Maker, and he says, “I wish Reshiram were sealed,” and Reshiram howls. They suck into their stone like an unwillingly returned pokemon, reduced from their legendary status.

The White Stone thunks on the ground. Cain is belligerent and bellowing just like his dragon. I half expect fire to fly from his mouth.

Seth laughs and says, “Why brother. Stupid and always blinded by your anger. Don’t you recognize you can’t push me around anymore? I have all the power now.”

A flicker of recognition. “Suha?”

His face twists. He screams, “My name is SETH!” and the blizzard takes me.

The images blur. It’s a haze of white and silver, snow and ice and hatred and pain. Bloody slashes of red splat across my sight. I think of my cold ice cave, and the wanton slaughter feels so nice, but I’m so tired. I want to perish in that place. I want to die and end it all.

Abel and Zekrom. Cain doesn’t warn his brother of the Wish Maker. Of Seth. Of the plan to rid the land of Tao Twins. Cain wants Abel to suffer as he did, lose his dragon as he did, because it’s the only way to even the playing field.

He’s not outraged, like Cain was. Abel is hurt. He shakes in the cold, the Dark Stone sealed in his hands, his dragon howling within. And he snarls, “You haven’t changed at all, you fucking cunt! You deserve to fester in your hate along with that dragon! An ice cold dragon for an ice cold BITCH!”

Ragged breaths rake in and out of Seth’s throat. He doesn’t get to call me that anymore. I’m NOT a bitch! I’m not a cunt! I’m not a woman! I’m standing before him as a man, and he STILL won’t accept the TRUTH!

“I’ve become greater than you ever could have, Abel! I’M the ruling power of this land now! You’ll respect me, and you’ll use my goddamn name!”

“Your name is SUHA and you’ll always be that selfish little girl hoping to catch daddy’s attention!”

I scream in rage. The blizzard builds behind me, and I’m going to kill him on the spot, but he’s faster. He has the Dark Stone in hand. Electricity crackles in his fist, and lightning streaks across the battlefield. The light flares in my eyes, heat burns my retinas, and pain explodes in my chest.

Kyurem howls in my head.

The scenes warp again. Everything twists darker. I’m suffocated in the urge for blood. It’s not enough that we crippled my brothers. I need to kill them. They’ve finally set aside their differences, united in order to stop me, but without their dragons? They can’t. They’re weak, and I’m strong. This army belongs to me. Kyurem’s cold is scouring the land. I’m killing them by famine. They have to yield and finally recognize that me, Seth, deserves to be king.

Kyurem is tired. They yearn for the cavern and rest. Their body hurts.

I watch helplessly as a blaze of white light splits the dragons. I wrench my body away, and I’m left with nothing. Reshiram has stolen all the warmth of life, the heat of passion, and the fire of truth. Zekrom has stolen all the winds of change, the cleansing rain, the demand for a world built on the ideals they believe.

Me?

I’m twisted. I’m a shuck, a shell, and I’m left with the injustices of the world. I am the embodiment of people’s fears, their hatred, their emptiness. I need to be filled. I
CRAVE being filled.

My other halves hate what I represent. They hate that their little sister pities me, resonates with me.

I watch in horror as Cain and Abel, with their new dragons, Reshiram and Zekrom, turn on Suha and Kyurem. They chase their sister from the kingdom’s grounds as if she never shared their blood.

Kyurem escapes in pieces. They rip it to shreds, tearing off its wings, biting off its tail. Kyurem is so broken and defeated it should have died. But it lives. It festers in hurt fury, and the ice cold apathy inside sustains it. It slips into the Giant Chasm and makes itself a lair of ice no dragon can penetrate. The ice covers its wounds and stops it from bleeding.

Kyurem lives. It refuses to die as a forgotten piece of this puzzle.

The war is long and bloody. Even united, Cain and Abel struggle against the might of Seth with a piece of the legendary dragon. The winter is long and hungry. The peasants die. The nobles die. They suffer a famine so terrible it doesn’t discriminate between the haves and have nots.

Kyurem’s life began with betrayal, with pieces of itself it thought it could trust trying to kill it. So it is only fitting that it is how Seth’s life ends, with a betrayal he can’t see coming.

She says, “Seth?” and her voice is soft. Timid. She’s a woman. Throughout these years of war, she’s lost her bite. She’s lost the ferocious, unyielding backbone she had when Seth first met her in the Chasm. She can’t bear to hear the details of the war. She cringes in the face of violence. She likely fears him more than she loves him.

It’s fine with Seth. He rules this country, and he has far greater ideals and truths to pursue than the whims of a single woman.

“What is it, Shakti?”

He turns to look at her, and the blade sinks in deep into his heart. He stumbles back on his heels, gaping as blood pours down his fine silk robes. He crashes to the floor. Blood floods his lungs and throat. He stares up at Shakti who stands, pale and shaking, but eyes hard and remorseless. Even round with child, she is unrepentant.

He sees the ghost of the woman he once loved.

“Sh- . . . Shak . . . ti . . .”

She kneels over him as he dies. I feel Mr. Sandman lift from Seth’s shadow and settle far more comfortably into Shakti’s. She puts a hand on his cheek and one on the hilt of the knife.

“This war has consumed you,” she says softly. “The cold has made you unfeeling. You changed from the woman who wanted justice into a man as cruel as your brothers.” Sorrow etches her features, but she doesn’t shed a single tear.

“Your ice ravages my country. You kill my people just as readily as you kill theirs. And I cannot have it.”

She shoves the knife deeper, and Seth stares blankly, his life’s work undone by the woman he claimed to love.

I can’t trust anyone.

She killed him. She tried to kill me. They tried to kill me. They’re all going to kill me. Everyone. No one loves me. No one cares about me. No one can protect me.

Kyurem wails in the Giant Chasm, unable to fill itself, empty and alone.

There’s a drop of Chosen blood in Shakti’s heir. It’s the one, feeble hope Kyurem clings to.

The years are cold and empty and hungry. Kyurem feeds relentlessly and can never satisfy its cravings. The world moves on; Kyurem does not. It craves, it aches, it yearns, it
starves.

When its siblings wake again, Kyurem calls to its Chosen in fear.

The call is unheeded for so long, but Kyurem is impatient and demanding. The first time they reach the Giant Chasm, they flee in fear. Kyurem’s needs reaches them through their dreams; perhaps Mr. Sandman hasn’t left them yet. And then, I’m curled up in pain, shivering and alone in the cavern when I see them.

My papa.

He’s got a pair of sturdy jeans on. Brand spanking new boots that have barely been scuffed with travel. He’s swathed in a winter coat and gloves, clutching a pokeball with a mienshao next to him.

My head lifts, and I’m furious. Where was he all this time? Where was he when I needed him? I’ve festered alone, trying to fill myself with anyone, anything, and he thinks he can show up in my life now? It’s too late. It’s far too fucking late for him to make amends and pretend he cares.

I lumber to my aching feet with a dangerous growl. He puts his hands out, and he says, “Wait. Easy. I’m here now. I came.”

It’s too late! I want to howl. You had your chance, and you chose yourself over me!

Ice splinters the room, and I fight. I want to kill him. I want him dead. No one ever cares about me. I’m always left behind, always forgotten, never worth fighting for!

“Wait!” he shouts again. “Stop, please! I’m here! I came! What’s wrong?”

I bellow in fury and hatred. I hurt. I HURT! Can’t he see it? Can’t he see what he’s done to me? Doesn’t he know I’m empty and alone?

The mienshao hurts. He HURTS me more, and I send my ice lancing through his pokemon with all the rage I can muster. I feels good to let it out. It feels good to see his partner crumple and hear him gasp.

He sends out an icy face. One of my kindred. The cryogonal puts up a defensive screen for him, and he shouts, “What is it? What do you want! What do you need! I’m here to help!”

He’s not! He was never there for me! He left me alone! I needed him!

My Chosen stands there, and he’s my father. I’m screaming back, but he can’t hear me.

I’m here! Papa, I’m here!

Kyurem is tearing his team apart. He’s strong, but still too cocky. Icecap shatters, and despite how Kyurem is killing his team, he doesn’t give up. He’s yelling, “I’m here! I haven’t forgotten you! I see you! I hear you!”

I’m right here! Papa! Come home! Leave it, come home to me!

He sends out his signature, Charger, his scolipede. He beats defensively against Kyurem, trying to exhaust its rage, but he can’t reach the dragon. I see him through Kyurem’s eyes, and my sight is glazed with hatred and hurt, but I’m locked inside, trying to communicate with him. Every time I scream for him, Kyurem’s hellish roar escapes me.

“You have to tell me how to help you! I don’t want to hurt you!”

Come home! Please, please, you have to leave it, it’s going to kill you!

Ice splinters over the cavern. My father hunches over, crying out when the cold pierces deep through all his layers. Charger is strong, but not strong enough. Already the mighty scolipede is losing steam, and ice coats its chitin.

“You’re not alone! I’m here for you! I won’t leave you!”

You left and you never came back! You have to come back!

I’m screaming at him, and he still can’t hear me. I’m begging, I’m crying, and he’s looking at me, but he can’t see me.

I’m killing his pokemon. I’m going to kill him next for abandoning me.

“I want to make things right, but you have to tell me how! I know you’re hurting! You’ve got to help me fix things!”

Papa!

Charger is skewered on lances of ice. It barely clings to life, but it can’t move. He switches to a floatzel he calls Skipper. He returns Charger, but the apricorn cracks with death.

“Listen to me!” he cries. He’s trembling in the chill. His lips are turning blue. He’s so cold, and he can’t reach me. “I’m not leaving you! Not this time! I’m not leaving you alone again!”

There’s so much rage, but I’ve sunk in deep past it, to the heart of it, where I’m hurt and desperate and scared. My body wracks with pain and adrenaline, but I’m wrecked with sobs.

I’m here! Papa, I’m here, come home, please! Stay with me!

Skipper falls. Buck is half grass, and he perishes even faster. Papa’s hand shifts over his last apricorn the way my hand shifts over Magnets’ ball. He saved an anchor, but he’s not sending it out. Why is he hesitating? He can’t! I’m crying, Defend yourself! It’s going to kill you, please, you have to do something! but he doesn’t. He releases his last, a chandelure that screeches at the sight of its dead companions.

He puts his hand out to it. “Lumiere! Don’t hurt it! It needs our help!” Papa looks at me again, and I see the strength in his shoulders, the set of his jaw when he gets stubborn. When he knows something is right. It’s that look he gets when I see him triumph in his gym battles on the television.

He thinks he can reach Kyurem, and I know he can’t.

A blast of ice tears through the chasm, and my father narrowly avoids dead. He’s walking and slipping across the floor towards his dragon. And he’s shouting, “You don’t have to do this alone! I’m here, and I’m with you! I’ll never leave you, I promise!”

You do! You do leave me, and I never get you back!

“I know you hurt, but I want to fix it!” Ice tears through the room, and it’s combated by Lumiere’s white hot flames. Papa’s hands are outstretched towards me as he approaches, pleading. “Listen to me! You don’t have to be alone! You don’t have to hurt anymore! Let me help you!”

I’m feverish with fear. My fists are banging on the glass separating us, and Papa walks towards death.

Kyurem rumbles with distrust as he closes in. “That’s it,” he murmurs, and the panicked edge of his voice softens. “I’m here. I’m sorry I ran. I’m sorry I left you when you needed me, but it’s different now. I’m here to help. I’m here to fix the things that went wrong. Okay? We can do this together. I won’t leave again, I promise.”

His fingers touch my cheek. Tears streak down my cheeks. He’s so close, and I can’t reach him.

Kyurem feels the burning heat of his body through the glove like fire. The touch hurts. He’s hot like Reshiram, and Reshiram tore its wings off. He doesn’t love me. No one loves me.

A splintering shriek echoes off the cavern walls. Papa’s eyes widen in split second fear. I’m screaming like a child for him as my head lunges forward and my jaws snap on his body.

I wrench awake with a broken cry. The Giant Chasm is wretchedly cold, and I lay on the icy floor, curled up in the fetal position and sobbing.

He was so close. I could have fucking touched him. I didn’t want to see it like that. I didn’t want to see his final stand, especially not through Kyurem’s eyes. Is his body buried under the ice somewhere? Or did Kyurem really eat him alive?

I collapse into a harder fit of crying. I’m seizing with sobs between hyperventilations. I’m hiccuping, the tears are fusing my eyes shut, and my snot is freezing in my nose.

My body feels dead it’s so heavy and cold, but I’m burning alive too. There’s a source of heat surrounding me, keeping my body from succumbing to subzero temperatures while I dreamed of my father.

I’m wrecked with the haunting memory of the words I always wanted to hear from him. But I remember Kyurem, out of its mind with rage and pain. I scrub my eyes and open them.

Kyurem lays across from me, mere paces away. Their yellow eyes are bleary from sleep and exhaustion. Their body is torn, and finally, at the end of all things, I think they’ve expended all the resentment they can. They lay there, staring at me, staring at them. Did they dream my memories the way I dreamed theirs?

There’s a flickering light. I turn my head up, and there’s a chandelure with broken candlesticks hovering above me. Papa . . . Papa’s?

“L-Little Lumiere?”

My voice is soft and raspy. The chandelure hums weakly, and I see its flames are dimming. The last pokemon of my father’s, still alive when it should have been dead, warming me from the edge of my own death. My throat squeezes tight, and I fight the next wave of tears as hard as I can. I don’t know how long I was asleep in subzero temperatures while Lumiere tried to keep me warm. I can’t waste time in this forsaken place. I have to get out of here, and I have to take Kyurem with me, or we’ll both be lost to the emptiness.

I shift to my knees. My joints crack in protest, and when I move, Kyurem growls. Their bulk shifts defensively. I stare at them, exhausted. Magnets and Titan are close, but far enough that I can’t touch them. They’re both made of metal. They only would have made me that much colder.

I return them so it’s just me, Lumiere, and Kyurem. “Hello,” I say to my dragon. A part of me wants to kill it. It killed my dad. But I’m tired of the killing, and so are they. It would be unfair to us both to continue the violence.

In the wake of seeing my father one last time, I wish so desperately that he’d told me he loved me, one more time. I think Kyurem wanted to hear it too.

“Listen,” I rasp. “I know what it’s like to be alone.” Kyurem doesn’t stop growling at me. I feel their fear, the helplessness as they lay there vulnerable in front of me. “I know what it’s like to be on your own and know no one is there for you. I know what it’s like to feel like no one loves you. That your life is wasted. The way you can’t stop hurting no matter what you try. That somehow, every day it gets worse. You want to give up. You want to stop existing. How it would be so much nicer if the cold finally took you to the death you’re so afraid of. I know what that’s like. You know I know what that’s like. It’s why I’m your Chosen one. Chosen of boundless cold. Boundless emptiness. Boundless nothingness.”

The enraged growling is tapering off. I scoot forward on my knees. “But listen to me. It doesn’t have to be boundless.” I think of my Uncle, of how we fight because we’re so alike, and yet how I always have him, even when we disagree. I think of Hugh, happy and carefree and always including me in his life. I think of my pokemon, dead and alive, and know of their unyielding loyalty and love, even in the darkest times. I think of Alder, a man I barely know by proxy of loved ones, and that he’s there for me too, even if we’re only acquaintances.

I have people to keep me warm, to keep me from the edge. I don’t want to become like Kyurem, cold and isolated and festering in my misery.

“If you let people in,” I murmur, “if you let people help, it doesn’t have to hurt so much. You don’t have to be alone. My father came to you even when he was afraid of you. He knew you hurt and wanted to make it better.” I choke up and have to shove it all down. He could come for Kyurem, but not for me? “You killed him,” I blubber, “and I’m still here, aren’t I?”

Kyurem lays on the ice, staring at me. They really do look empty.

I scoot forward until I’m right in front of them. I know it’s tempting fate, and I can feel my parents rolling in their graves right now, but I have to be here. If no one else will be there for Kyurem, I have to be there. I know that’s why my father stayed, and it’s why I’m staying. “So, let me help,” I say through thick tears. “Let me help you stop hurting. Don’t you want things to be better? Don’t you want to be whole again?”

I put my hands on Kyurem’s cheeks. A tremble and moan creaks through their icy body. They slump like they’re dead. I bow over and put my forehead on theirs.

“I can do it,” I whisper through hiccups. “I know how to do it. I can make you whole again, I promise. You’re not the dragon of boundless misery. There’s a boundary to it. There’s a boundary to all things, including how cold the world gets. You won’t succumb to it, but you need help. That’s why I’m here. I’m going to bring you back from that boundary.”

RIP Lumiere, lvl45
I caught a Litwick in the Strange House, ergo "Little Lumiere" Josey meets in the Strange House chapter. (Yes, I purposefully had her name the thing after her dad's pokemon, because Josey is a goddamn sap who misses people.) (Mr. Sandman I caught elsewhere in a grotto I think.) I ended up trying to train him up to join the team, but my notes:

FUCK I lost the little shit to a Stone Edge from a Mienfoo after raising it 20lvls and evolving it.
RIP LUMIERE LVL45.

I was a little afraid of writing these two because I've never written someone trans, and Seth is uh....not great representation. But basically, Seth I don't really think enjoyed being a man in the end anyways. I think Shakti was right, that Suha merely wanted to be a man because she had preconceived notions of power wrapped up in males (due to her father being king, and her brothers being the ones to inherit the throne despite her being first born of the triplets. Also, her mother is never mentioned for a reason.)

Shakti I envisioned as a lesbian, so Suha transitioning to Seth was a blow, because Shakti wasn't attracted to her sexually when she was a male. However, yes, Shakti is pregnant by the end of it, because I imagine she both loved and feared Seth enough that she wanted to prove she still loved him just the same. So she allowed sex and gained an heir which kept Seth's lineage alive for Kyurem. Theirs was a very complicated relationship to write, but I think, despite how fucked up it was, it translated well on page.

I'm gonna be real here, GitM definitely started out as my depression fic. It was when SL ground to a halt because I was too depressed and anxious to write it, and then became even more depressed because I couldn't write it. I had this little idea of an undertaker, so I started a nuzlocke at the top of the year and posted GitM on a whim. It gained a lot of traction, so I kept with it. It was easy to write because I literally didn't give a fuck, and it was theraputic.

And Kyurem definitely solidified itself as the epitome of both Josey and my depression. I always found it interesting though that Kyurem was the "Boundary" pokemon. I really struggled with understanding why it was called that, given there's basically no reasoning for it. Even if you trawl into Taoism and the concept of Wuji, Wuji literally means "without ridgepole."
Chinese wuji 無極 "limitless; infinite" is a compound of wu 無 "without; no; not have; there is not; nothing, nothingness" and ji 極 "ridgepole; roof ridge; highest/utmost point; extreme; earth's pole; reach the end; attain; exhaust". In analogy with the figurative meanings of English pole, Chinese ji 極 "ridgepole" can mean "geographical pole; direction" (e.g., siji 四極 "four corners of the earth; world's end"), "magnetic pole" (Beiji 北極 "North Pole" or yinji 陰極 "negative pole; cathode"), or "celestial pole" (baji 八極 "farthest points of the universe; remotest place").
Literally, Wuji is without end. So it has no boundaries.

I always had this idea of Josey seeing her father through Kyurem's eyes in a dream as an answer both to what happened to him, and as a way for her to hear the things she always needed to hear from him. It didn't come to me until the end of writing the chapter exactly why Kyurem is called the Boundary pokemon. Because it's absolute zero. Even the cold has a boundary, a limit it can't reach. And I think it's a nice thought that even the worst of depression has its boundaries, and at some point, the only way you can go is up to warmer places.

Last edited:

MouseWithADinosaurTail

A Comedian At Heart
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
Another really solid chapter! The entire exchange between Josey and Kyurem was incredible. Youve outdone yourself, Whoza

Magicforbeginners

Generally Incompetent
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 17, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Draws, writes, lives. Poorly, but always improving.
Damn, now I'm feeling feelings and I don't know how to react other than to say that this is some good shit.
As for Seth, I feel like he's fine because he isn't "fully" trans (if that makes sense). Suha isn't trans, she just has some really weird ideas about power and I can't see her character going in any other direction. Fantastic IMO, I liked Shakti comparing Suha/Seth as she kills him. Perfect wrap up to the character.
And Josey. I love Josey and I want her to be happy, damnit! Really excited to see where this goes next.

Missy

i left my heart in alola
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Tough
Pokédex Entry
just missy now
You better be glad that i like you so much otherwise we'd be trading blows, locked in combat, im gonna kick your ass. This chapter is so spicy it hurts my delicate little tummy. Every time i learn a new thing about josey my power grows and my power will be used to wrench her from your evil grubby hands.

The whole bit with seth/sutha was so much, it was so much but it was so engaging and raw and beautiful and it just oozes with effort and care but

But

But

But it holds no candle to the josey/kyurem/daddy sequence which tore my heart out because god she misses her dad so much, she hurts so much and was lonely and sad and cold for so long and she's still hurting but soon? Soon she can get better? Now that the emptiness is confronted?? Pls save the darling josey she deserves so much
Just, the final culmination of the theme of the run, it got me. I felt that. It's just hard sometimes. It's cold and empty and sometimes youre full of nothing but it gets better. People will help you. Shit will get better

Let josey sleep

Whozawhatcha

i have too many projects
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 12, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pokémon Type
Fire, Flying
@MouseWithADinosaurTail thank you very much!

@Magicforbeginners i'm really glad everything with seth and shakti worked and came about full circle! If there's one thing for certain, it's that the royal family is hellishly dysfunctional.

@Missy joke's on you, I'm gonna yet her through a wormhole before you can snatch her. But yes, I am glad this has annihilated you in all of the best ways. It's been a long time coming. I can't say where Josey will end up, but here's the next bitty chapter anyways, hopefully it'll be nicer than last chapter was.

“Every time I try to leave
Something keeps pulling me back, me back
Telling me I need you in my life”

Pulling Me Back __ Chingy

Getting Kyurem to agree to get inside that last Ultra ball I have is a bitch.

Healing them with the potions I’ve bought is easier than I imagined. It has to be agonizing for the medicine to spray on them, but they’re intimately familiar with hurting. They lay there and take it, and I hope it eases some of the pain. I hope they know I’m going to make things right.

They’ve survived worse wounds, so they’ll survive this. It’s coaxing them into a portable ball that has them scared. It’s something foreign and new. They’re afraid to leave the Chasm again, and no amount of reassurances will help.

Lumiere is fading fast. The ghost has slumped over my shoulders, and they still feel hot to me, but I see their flickering candles. They’re burning themselves dead for me.

Finally, I say, “If you don’t get in the ball, you’re going to have to walk all the way to the Elite Four instead of taking a nap.”

Ah. I should have known to bait them with things I would want. Kyurem allows me to catch them, and I wish someone could shove me in a tiny capsule and carry me around while I take a nap.

Then, I hike out of the Chasm, my father’s pokemon draped around my neck like a feather boa.

My feet are numb. I’m tired. But this is the final stretch, isn’t it? I find Hugh and Zekrom, somehow hope Hugh has the wheel this time, and persuade him to help me confront Iris and Reshiram. I just have to get all the dragons in the same place.

As I walk from the Chasm, the pokemon living there stare at me. They bow out of my path, watching and reverent. I think they can sense the change already.

I’m stumbling up the hill to the Chasm exit when Lumiere’s candles go out in smoke. They’re lukewarm at best. My fingers and toes are BURNING as heat wakes my nerves back up. I shift Lumiere around until I’m holding them like a baby. I put my hand on their center, where their last flame is going out.

“Thank you,” I murmur to them. “Papa would be proud of you.”

The tired, broken chandelure croons a haunting noise. Their flame snuffs. The misty remnants of the ghost blows away in the wind until all that’s left is the wrought iron chandelier.

Some people hang the chandelier in their house to honor a well-lived chandelure. I find that particularly unsettling, using their body as a decoration. I stuff the body in my backpack even though they stick out. I’ll see about burying them next to Seraph.

I get a little bit lost in the forest since it’s the dead of night, but I can orient myself towards Lacunosa Town because of the sea crashing to the east. That, and I find the train tracks leading towards the town. Fuck, I’m gonna have to buy a train ticket up to the Elite Four! God damn it, I wish I was familiar with the place so I could just have Quasar Teleport me there.

I grouse about this in the night, steadfastly focusing on the annoyances in life instead of the things that hurt—that I should really unpack—but I never said I had good coping habits. I’ve got a fucking feral ice dragon in my back pocket, it’s fine.

It takes my sleep-deprived brain way too long to realize that I’ve been to Opelucid City. I can cut my travel time down to almost nothing. It’s only a day trip up to the Elite Four from Opelucid. I’m reaching for Quasar’s ball when I hear the train.

The beam cuts into the night brighter than any lighthouse I know. I step away from the tracks, squinting as it comes. I wonder when the next train leaves for—

The train slams on its brakes.

My head whips as it whizzes by, struggling to pull to a stop. I frown. It clicks that this must be one of the Vanderbilts. Probably Ingo. I mean, he usually runs a tight schedule, so maybe I’m flattering myself, but . . . I mean, who else would stop for me? Besides, I’m fine with seeing him again right about now. I owe him a good punch in the teeth.

I jog alongside the train as its brakes squeal and shriek and spit sparks into the night. Most of the lights are off, but I see several flick on as people wonder why they’re stopping. Eventually, it pulls to a halt. My lungs pinch as I run to the front of the train—Mama did not raise a track star. My basketball days are behind me. If an animal were chasing a group of people, I would be the first to die.

The headlight is ridiculously bright in the night, and steam from the train swathes the area. I can see a figure running my way, coat flapping. He shouts, “Josey!” Ingo comes into sight, pale in the light as he says, “What are you doing out here—?”

I cock my wrist back, and last second shock flares in his eyes. My fist connects with a satisfying crack on his mouth.

Ingo stumbles back and hits the ground in a sprawl. I stomp forward and grab him by his coat lapels.

“Josey—wait!”

He’s shorter and frailer than me. It’s easy to haul him up and slam him into the side of the train. He grabs at my wrists, trying to fight me off, but I heft his feet clear off the ground and pin him there.

“And what the fuck was THAT for?” I snarl at him.

Ingo, bless his soul, looks the picture of innocence. “W-What? What are you talking about Josey? What the hell was THAT for?”

I slam him against the train again, and his breath hitches out of him. “I know you told Iris where we were headed! Do you have any idea what you’ve done?”

“I didn’t tell Iris anything!” His fingers are so tight on my wrists I could drop him, but I hold fast, using my weight to pin him. His breaths are fast and sharp. His hat is forgotten in the dirt, and in the light of the train, I can see the blush of a blue bruise rising on his chin. I split his bottom lip, and it’s trickling red blood. “What are you talking about, Josey? What happened?”

I falter in my anger before I grab it again. “Opelucid!” I snap at him, nose inches away from his. “She came for us! You were the only one I told, so you had to tell her where we were going! Didn’t you?”

He gapes for one shocked moment, and then, recognition flickers over his face. “Emmett,” he rasps. I can smell coffee on his breath we’re so close. “I told—It was Emmett’s train you took. I had to make room with him. I told him not to say anything, but . . .”

My breath is ragged as I listen to him. I think of his flighty brother, having far more party than he has sense, and I know he’s made of glass. One look from Iris and he’d break.

“Josey?” His grip slacks on my wrists. “What’s going on? You’re freezing.” His body is pressed against the full length of mine, and he’s burning up.

Slowly, I set Ingo on his feet. He stares at me, flat out gobsmacked, a flush on his cheeks. His eyes dart away, and he conspicuously loosens his tie. Something catches up in my brain about how Ingo stopped his precious train schedule because he saw me. He’s worried about me.

I don’t realize I’m still holding onto him until he shrugs out of his coat. I step away so we’re not touching anymore, but he closes the distance to wrap that tacky coat around me.

“Shit.” I tug on my dreads. “Sorry.” I decked this man. I straight up mollywhopped him and he ain’t never done nothing but good for me.

He rubs at the trickle of blood on his lip and smears it. “Josey, what—Arceus, you’re bleeding!” I look down, and, huh, there’s blood from the blimp crash. My ice has thawed. Beating Ingo up has broken the cuts open again. “Come here,” he says to me, and I follow dumbly.

He leads me into the head of the locomotive. The engines are still hot and running, spitting steam. He sets me in the conductor’s seat and grabs a medical kit from somewhere. The plastic snaps open, he grabs medical wrap and kneels between my spread legs. For one wild moment, I’m ridiculously immature about it while Ingo takes my arm. He’s starting to bandage me up when I crack out, “I can do it myself—”

“Well I’m doing it,” Ingo says just as stubbornly back. He refuses to let my hand escape his. “What the hell happened?”

I tug away from him. “I punched you in the goddamn face! You don’t need to—”

“I’m well aware, Josey! I meant—why are you so cold?”

I surrender my arm to his ministrations. My throat works, because I can’t understand what the fuck this man does to me. It’s not just stupid infatuation though it’s clear I’m dizzy as hell about him. Every time I meet him, I settle. I feel safer. I feel better, and I can’t explain why.

A tickle brushes up in my brain. It feels strange to feel Kyurem rumbling with distrust yet pacified, supplying the answer, Half-breed.

I stare at Ingo’s jawline as he wraps up my bleeding forearm. Refreshing as rain. Warm like fire. Kyurem hated him because he’s descended of both dragons, but that’s exactly it, isn’t it? I’m drowning in the cold, and he’s supplying balance for me that I can’t achieve on my own.

He looks up when I fail to answer. His gray eyes fixate on mine. “Josey?”

I drag in a breath. “It’s too long of a story to tell,” I finally say. “I have to go.”

“Long enough a story to tell on a date?”

He ties off the knot for the first arm and reaches for the second. “Shitty topic for a date.”

“I’ll take that as a yes. Better topic when there’s good food and alcohol involved?”

“Everything is better with good food and alcohol.”

Ingo muses under his breath, and I can’t believe how deep the man’s voice is. He’s practically a twink. He can’t purr like that right god damn now while he’s on his knees in front of me. Heat flushes into my body as I stare at tousled hair and long lashes.

“What about my place?” he says. “I cook a mean chicken marsala. We’ll open up the Chardonnay for dinner, and when we finish that, I’ll let you pick the whiskey.”

He looks up expectantly at me, and my throat’s so dry I could use a drink right NOW. I would be an idiot to turn a pip like this down. “So you decide to ask me out after I punch you in the face?”

Ingo laughs softly, and my heart yearns to see his dimples, but they don’t wink out this time. “You’ve made a strong impression on me.” His tongue pokes the inside of his cheek that’s starting to swell. “Besides,” and he flushes, looking away, “it doesn’t hurt that you’re built like a brick house and ridiculously strong to boot. Mad crazy about that.”

O-Oh. I blink owlishly at him. His words sink into my brain. I pinned him against a—

“Oh god.”

He pulls at his tie again.

“You’re a fucking idiot.”

“I’ll accept that,” he says.

This is fine. I’m into that, he’s into that, we’ve got a date with some fancy wine and probably even fancier whiskey, and hey. That much alcohol at his place has a 50/50 chance to either end with me in tears and him with whiskey dick, or, we will have a fabulous time. It’s like a carrot to run after: I make it away from Iris and legendary dragons alive, and I will finally get laid again. It’s very good motivation, I’m not gonna lie.

He finishes with my second arm. There’s a low throb under the wraps, but I notice they hurt less. Ingo puts the medical kit away, but he doesn’t move from his spot. He looks up at me and—

Okay, wow, he is DEFINITELY doing this on purpose. Only way it’d be better is if my fist print wasn’t swelling up half of his face. “So what do you say?” He cocks his head and smiles. “Is it a date?”

I swallow. His cheek is really swelling up. He needs some ice. “You didn’t even give me a date and time.”

“I figured you’d have to give that to me. Busy lady fraternizing with the dragons of Truth and Ideals.”

I flex my popsicle fingers and find my courage. I reach out and put my hand on his cheek, and he sucks in a sharp breath when he feels how cold my skin is. My heart has skipped away without me. He feels like he’s burning up, but I know it’s just me finally thawing.

“Yeah,” I say, and my voice cracks. “Sounds like a date.” My body sways forward and back. I know I need to leave, but I’m fixed on the set of his lips. “I um . . . I really want to kiss you, I think.”

The man’s a killer because his eyes immediately fall to my mouth, and I perish. His throat works, and he finds the coyest of smiles. “So why aren’t you?” Gray eyes flick up to me. Fuck, he’s not the only idiot here, is he?

“I don’t know,” I say, and I lean forward and I kiss him.

His jaw is sharp and smooth under my palm as I pull him into me, and he willingly comes. I’m hungry for this; I feel like I’ve been waiting on it for goddamn ever, but I still have the decency to slant the kiss gently because I’ve already abused his mouth.

Ingo plants his hands on my thighs and leans up into me. My breath hitches and drops. It’s a great deal of curving toward each other and lingering. Every time I part from him, he kisses me again, like he’s making up for lost time. I knot my free hand around his tie and hold him close.

We kiss until Ingo pulls away with a huff and sinks back to his knees. I’m hot and ravenous now, but I bite my lip, trying to control it. I keep my hand on his cheek as he rasps, “Sorry. It’s stinging.”

“Sorry,” I repeat, because that’s my fault. We stare at each other for a long moment. I’ve got Ingo’s undivided attention sunk into me. God he’s got pretty eyes. My jaw finally unlocks.

“I’m in your seat, conductor.”

He jumps. “Shit!” Clarity smashes into him and gets him moving. He jolts upright, leaning across me to grab a speaker and give an announcement about getting back on the road with only a short delay. He checks his watch, and he has the delay down to the exact minute. Scary accurate.

I stand up and shrug his coat off. I hand it back, and Ingo grabs my hand. “Hey,” he says, and there’s a shadow over his eyes. “Do you need help? I can help. My pokemon are strong.”

“I know,” I murmur. He’s right, but my pokemon have tanked through several lethal things now. I’d rather not put him at risk. You know? If I have something nice waiting for me after all of this, then by god he’s going to keep his ass far away from Iris’s rage. “I think it’s something I need to do myself.” I release Quasar, and Ingo stares with awe at us. I grab Quasar’s hand, and I squeeze Ingo’s hand. “Besides,” I say, letting go of him, “you have a train to run.”

“Right,” he says, but there’s resistance, like he doesn’t completely believe me. He’s a smart man, but I don’t give him time to confront me or draw out goodbyes. I close my eyes and think of the Lacunosa hospital first, since I need Hugh before going to confront Iris.

“Quasar, use Teleport.”

We land at the hospital in the night. Visiting hours are over, but the receptionist lets me know that Hugh Matisse isn’t here anymore. Grimsley attacked him; they heard the Champion sent him to kill Hugh, but Zekrom arrived. They flew east, towards Opelucid, but the lady informs me Opelucid has been a war zone, and to keep far away.

My hands sweat. I leave the hospital, head throbbing and breath thin. I wasted too much time. Please, please god if Iris ever gets her hands on Hugh—I release Quasar, and I think of the Opelucid gym.

“Teleport.”

Hugh's part got a bit long so it gets its own chapter. Also, Josey? Deal with her trauma? Acknowledge it happened? God no, why do that when you can bury it by snogging a very hot man.

Aurea

🎇Contributor
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Grass, Steel
Good lord this story is a ride and a half.

Full disclosure, I've been reading this for a while. It feels like every chapter is jam-packed with plot, foreshadowing, character development, action, drama -- you name it. It made it really hard to put down whenever I'd sit down to read, but that also meant I couldn't just casually read it. I had to like, block out time and allow myself to get fully immersed because I do NOT like being interrupted in the middle of a long, good ass chapter. Not to mention how quickly you pump out quality content? I felt like I could never quite catch up, though that's hardly an excuse. xD Regardless, I'm here now, and so so excited to officially be caught up to everyone else. Right in time for Big Things that are happening, huh?

For a story you mentioned not wanting to think about/edit too much, it's clear a lot of meticulous thought and plotting went into it. The worldbuilding is fucking insane. The characters, and the way they all intertwine together and the world around them, is even crazier. This story does not let up, not for a second -- and sometimes I felt like I couldn't catch my breath, which I think fed into that sense of urgency with everything surrounding what's going on in Josey's life.

The Pokemon in your world don't speak, but boy oh boy they aren't lacking in personality in the slightest. I love them all. I've been demolished by their deaths, which, btw? I really appreciate the way Josey grieves them. It's nonlinear and in character, and it's not always immediate because there are usually more pressing threats to the lives of her and her Pokemon. My heart hurts for her. But damn if it doesn't feel raw and real as hell.

As much as Josey's grown on me over time (my fave kind of protag tbh), Hugh is just. He shines. The chapter between him and Josey, with the dragons... I had chills the whole time. It was epic, it was emotional, it was executed so well. It left me reeling with feels. Then again, that's pretty much par for the course with GitM, I've discovered.

I know I'm late to the party, but I'm very glad to be along for the ride now. I can't wait to see where this is headed!

Whozawhatcha

i have too many projects
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 12, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pokémon Type
Fire, Flying
@Aurea you literally commented just in time for the next chapter, hahaha. And it's a Hugh centric one, so we'll get to see the boy!! But no, seriously, a "ride and a half" I feel like severely underestimates the sheer fuckery of this story. Like, I cannot begin to pitch this to someone it's so fucking out there. You are RIGHT in time for the climax of the run, which is the best point to be caught up at. (To be fair, I pumped this out at a fast as fuck clip.) And you're right that things never seem to settle. Josey get brief breathers before she tackles the next burning trash pile in her life. And I'm glad you like the pokemon! They've been a joy to write, one and all, and they were a join to use in-game too.
Also I'm so pleased you love best boy Hugh? He is so darling and lovely and I wish I could have incorporated him even more. (You know you love a character when you've written a 100k+ AU for them, ahaha.) I'm very glad you're along for the final bit of this crazy as fuck ride!

“There's blood on the crown
Go and take it”

Rise __ The Glitch Mob

The stab wound bleeds a whole lot, but it’s shallow. They glue and stitch me up and tell me two weeks recovery. I got a cracked rib where Josey whaled on me, but it’ll heal in a few weeks too.

The lightning strike is different. I feel like I’ve taken the hotsquat, because every time I move my arm, it hurts. The biggest issue is my heart. It ain’t beating right. They call it “heart arrhythmias” and it’s something new in the medical field. They say there’s electricity making a person’s heart beat. They say a bolt like I took probably knocked my heart clear off its rhythm, and ain’t nothing in life ever knocked me outta rhythm.

I ask them what can be done, but really, there’s no cure yet. They say some fellow in Galar’s been researching it. They say they brought a little baby back from the dead with his machine and made her heart beat when it was treated. It’s an awful long way to go when I can feel my heart palpitating and skipping beats like a skipping phonograph.

So that’s it? My heart’s all broken and I don’t have a way of fixing it? I lay in the hospital, sleeping in half hour fits of terror. I’m afraid if I sleep, I won’t wake back up. I’m afraid my heart’s gonna give out on me, and there ain’t nothing I can do about it. My chest seizes in pain, and in the back of my mind, I feel Zekrom’s terror feeding into mine.

They can’t reach me. They can’t get away from how they’ve been trapped, fused with another creature. A dragon of ice. I hear Josey screaming for it—Kyurem. It feels familiar to me, yet so far.

I’m gonna be released soon since there ain’t much else the hospital can do for me. I’m considering how to best help my dumb, violent, scared dragon when I get a visitor that makes all the fear, relief, and needs bubble up and pour from me in tears.

“Colress.” I reach out for him.

He doesn’t come to me.

“Colress?”

My tired arms sink. I’m sitting on the bed, staring at him, and he’s cold. He’s as cold as the dragon. He’s colder than my Josey. There’s a shadow over his eyes, and he’s got his hands laced behind his back. He wrinkles his nose to shift his glasses up.

“I thought you would be different.”

My throat dries up. He’s staring at me like he ain’t never seen me before. His mouth is hard, and his eyes cutting. I feel like I’ve been held up to some sort of judgment. My heart stutters again, and I rub at my chest.

“Colress, what—I don’t understand, what—”

“You were supposed to be different!” he snaps. He shoves his hands in his pockets, a nervous tic, and pulls them out again. “You were a good person! You were a good man with a good heart, and I thought—Gods,” and he laughs here, something incredulous and broken that I’m not familiar with. “I was stupid enough to think you were strong enough to be different.”

“What have I done?” I know I’ve done a lot of things. But I don’t know what Colress is held up on. “Colress, talk to me, baby, I—”

“Don’t call me that!” I’m stricken into silence. I stare at him, and something sick starts to knot in my stomach. “You were the Chosen one!” he snaps at me, and his blue eyes have never been so cold and cruel. “I know the dragon was a lot, but you were controlling it! You had it under control! I saw you control it right there on the beach! Where did that Hugh go? Where did this kingdom’s champion go?”

“Colress, I—I didn’t—”

“You weren’t supposed to end up like N!” I jolt back like he’s struck me. Colress’s hands gesture about as emphasis. “Crazy! Bloodthirsty! Killing people! You were supposed to be different!”

The Plasma blimp glazes in my mind. The Shadow’s life had been so, so easy to snuff.

“I’m not!” I cry. “Colress, please, I’m still me, I ain’t a killer!”

“That’s not what I’ve seen,” he spits. My heart skips again. “You didn’t so much as blink when you torched him! And before—I know what happened in Humilau City! You nearly razed it to the ground! Whatever this thing is doing to you, you’re not strong enough to resist it. Gods, I was such a fool for believing differently!”

“I am! I swear I am, Colress, I ain’t a killer, I promise!” Tears are pouring down my cheeks, but they don’t touch Colress’s ice cold hatred. “I can do it! I promise I can, I ain’t changing! I’m still me!”

“You aren’t yourself!” he shouts at me. He jabs his finger towards the Chasm. “You let that THING get to you! That monster’s twisted you up until I can’t even recognize you! You had the biggest heart of anyone I knew, and now you’re letting it overtake you!”

“I’m not! I’m fighting it, Colress! I won’t let it control me!”

“Well you certainly aren’t controlling IT!” He paces, hands fiddling with pent up energy. He throws his arm north again. “If you were the hero I thought you were, you could have full control of Zekrom right now, but instead you let that bitch steal both the dragons right from under your nose!”

Zekrom is howling in pain in my head. I clutch at the throb of blood, and I hunch over my heart when it stops. Starts. It feels like Colress is mashing it himself, trying to make it give out. “I’m sorry, Colress,” and I’m babbling now, but he’s not hearing me. “I done everything you asked, I’m trying to make it right, Josey—She’s my best friend, Colress, she ain’t—”

“She’s ruined everything!” He whirls, his lab coat flaring around him. He jabs his finger at me. “I was trying to fix that thing, and you let her take control! Everything I’ve worked for is useless if I don’t have an ally controlling that dragon! You’re weak, and you’re cruel! I thought you could resist whatever it is the dragons do, but even you can be corrupted!”

“I’m not!” I cry to him. I feel like I can’t breathe. I feel like I’m having a heart attack. “Please, Colress, please, I can fix this! I ain’t changed, I’m still—”

“You have blood on your hands, Hugh!” I flinch and stare helplessly at him. Tears drip down my face, and I don’t see a shade of the man I knew and loved. I hear Josey, possessed by the full force of her dragon, mocking me that Colress was using me. “There isn’t any going back on that! Once you cross that line, that’s it! You’re a murderer! And gods,” Colress laughs again, hysterical. “It was easy for you too, wasn’t it? You didn’t hesitate, didn’t blink, and now—” He shakes his head. He draws in a deep breath and fixes a cool stare on me.

“I don’t know what I ever saw in you,” he says, and whatever I thought about that lightning bolt hurting ain’t nothing compared to how Colress knifes me now. “Stupid, flighty, and weak! I should have known.”

“C-Colress.” My breath is thin and wheezing. My heart feels like it’s collapsing. “Colress, please. Please, I love you, baby, I—”

“Oh would you SHUT UP.” A whimper falls from me. Colress straightens his lab coat. “I don’t have time for this. If I can’t fix the beast, then I’ll just have to kill all the parts.” He glares at me over the bridge of his nose. “It’s a pity, Hugh. If you weren’t just like your father, you might have made something of yourself.”

He leaves in a flounce, and he doesn’t look back. I hunch over my broken heart, and I sob until I can’t breathe.

***​

I feel the moment Zekrom is free of Kyurem.

The difference is like tuning the radio station. At first, it was hazy, full of static and I couldn’t quite hear them. Then, the reception clears and they’re bellowing in my head,

We’ll kill him for this! Death is too kind a mercy for scum like him!

Zekrom roars in my head, full of anger like lightning and thunder. I’m curled up on my side in the hospital bed, broken heart struggling to keep me alive, eyes rimmed red, and drained of energy.

Ain’t you tired yet, Zekrom? Ain’t you tired of it all?

Tired is for the weak, they hiss at me. I can sense them coming for me. Tired gets you killed! This is war! Get up and fight!

I’m tired of fighting. I’m tired of being hurt, and I’m tired of hurting others. The war ended a long time ago. The only ones waging it now is Zekrom and Reshiram, and for what? What are we fighting for now?

Zekrom pulls back and forth. They grumble at me, a series of disjointed thoughts that are somewhere between Truth and Ideals, Cain and Abel, and distant, cruel fathers.

Ain’t you tired? Kyurem is tired. Josey is tired. Don’t we all want peace?

And Zekrom finds their anger again, snarling, With that wretch Reshiram burning this country to the ground, there can never be peace!

Their rage floods my veins. I convulse in the bed, fighting it with bared teeth.

No! I’m through with your anger twisting me up! I lost Colress because of you! I almost killed my Josey because of you! You’re twisted, and mad, and hurt, but you can’t keep lashing out at everything around you!

I am the rightful ruler of this land! I can do as I please, and you will bow to me!

I won’t! I yank upright in the bed. My heart’s skipping like a smooth rock over a lake, and sweat’s pouring from my brow as I fight Zekrom back again. You want me to be weak, but I ain’t! You want me to murder, but I won’t! All your ideals stand for are violence and bloodshed, but the ideal world I want is one of mercy and kindness!

Zekrom howls, their unstoppable force meeting my immovable object.

I hunch over, crying through my teeth again. I don’t WANT this world to be cruel! I don’t want this world to be full of death! Why can’t we be kinder? Why can’t we be merciful? Why can’t we fucking love one another?

Zekrom rages. Reshiram hates them. Kyurem hates them. Why should they show love to anyone?

They don’t want to read any responsibility for themselves. That they’ve been consumed with rage, drowning the ones they used to love with fury and refusing to show any love. Things won’t change unless we’re the first to BE that change.

Sheets of rain are pouring outside. It rattles against the window of the hospital, a visceral reminder of the power in my blood and of Zekrom’s presence.

Zekrom rumbles in my head. I know my Josey. Josey will help us. Maybe, if we worked together instead of against each other, we could reach Reshiram. And for the first time, I feel bitter hesitation from Zekrom, something twisted up with anger and hurt and pity.

Reshiram is too far gone. They’re controlled by the Champion. Can you reach her?

The door to my room opens. I look up, and there’s—

I blink. “Grimsley?” He’s a colleague of Alder’s. I sit up on the bed and swing my legs over.

The man’s white as sheet rock. He’s soaking wet from the rain. He pulls out a pokeball, and adrenaline douses into my veins. In the distance, Zekrom roars.

“S-sorry about this,” he whispers. “It’s nothing personal.”

He releases a bisharp, and I dart for my pokeballs.

I scream when the bisharp leaps over the bed, razor arms slashing down at me. We collapse in a heap against the table, and it topples over. Sharp metal hands break through the wood, inches from my face. My bag falls to the floor, and my pokeballs roll. I lunge and grab the closest.

“Posey!” My samurott lands between us. “Sacred Sword!”

“Night Slash!”

Push him to the window!

Posey goes toe to toe with the serrated knight, and I scramble to my feet. Zekrom is close. My lips flatten and my eyes harden seeing Grimsley shut the door behind him. He looks terrified, and I think, I will, but you will not kill him. He’s a pawn, nothing more. Zekrom growls in annoyance, but doesn’t argue.

When I shift, Posey shifts. His harpoon combats the bisharp in a deadly sword fight as I strafe around the room. Grimsley picks up another pokeball. “Just finish him! Stone Edge! Night Slash!”

A heavy tyranitar fills the room. Its spines rake the ceiling. I plant myself in the corner. “Posey, Surf!”

A great swathe of water blasts the room. The bisharp goes tumbling head over heels, giving us some space, but the tyranitar is so heavy it stays planted, howling in pain. The bed is overturned. The chairs and table are pushed to the opposite end. Grimsley grunts and goes sliding with the furniture.

He’s surprised and scared with wild eyes. He expected me to be weaker because I only have six badges, but he’s wrong. I feel strength returning to me, and electricity sizzles in the room.

The tyranitar follows through on the attack. The Stone Edge is vicious in close quarters, and Posey screams when sharp stones tear into him and make him bleed. He hits the wall and struggles to his feet, seething with bared teeth.

“Revenge!”

Posey bounds forward. He impales his trident in to the hilt and the tyranitar shrieks in pain. Blood splatters over his face, and I’ve never seen Posey so vicious before. The tyranitar fights him, and Posey’s claws are tearing up plaster as he wrenches down. Poseidon hunches his back; he heaves; his harpoon shreds through the tyranitar’s side with a crack of rock and fine spray of blood. The tyranitar collapses, wheezing in pain.

I’m panting between my teeth. Grimsley’s faltered in his attack, and I release Wiggles. My eelektross hovers ominously as my opponent fumbles for his pokeballs. He returns his hurt tyranitar. “X-Scissor!”

I return Posey. My fingers buzz with power, and I say, “Discharge.”

Electricity is so easy and so powerful. Wiggles releases a tremendous surge of power that cracks thunder and deafens us. The electricity in the building swells, and the light bulbs shatter. I hear Grimsley scream, and in the dark of the storm, all I see is Wiggles glowing.

The bisharp collapses, twitching. Grimsley returns it, and his hands are shaking so badly he can’t get his next pokeball out.

A heavy landing rattles the building. A threatening growl rumbles in the air. Grimsley washes as white as the dead.

Zekrom’s huge claws tear into the building through the window, and they grab Grimsley. Grimsley shrieks in terror when he’s dragged outside.

I walk to the window with Wiggles, dragging hard breaths through my clenched jaws. The sheets of rain hits me when I stand in the annihilated windowsill. Zekrom has Grimsley pinned to the ground, and the great dragon bellows in barely restrained rage at the dark sky. The storm answers with a deadly thunderclap.

I don’t say anything, but Zekrom lifts their tail to the second story window so I can step down. They bring me to the ground, and I come to their side to look at the way Grimsley is quaking. He stares at me, and I feel sick for having his life in my hands.

My heart hurts, but so close to Zekrom’s dominant electrical charge, it steadies. My steady heartbeat mollifies my terror. I lay a hand on Zekrom’s arm in thanks, and they rumble, turning their head away. A part of me is vindicated they’re guilty about it. Another part of me is just grateful they can help fix it.

The pouring rain feels like a balm. I take a deep breath. “Who sent you, Grimsley?” I ask him. I’ve never met the man before, only seen him televised. I already know who sent him, but I want to hear it from his mouth.

His mouth trembles. He falters several times before rasping loud enough for me to hear, “Iris Asiriu.”

“She wants Zekrom?”

“Yes.”

Zekrom’s voice rattles the night. Their claws tighten and scrape through concrete. I exert my power over them, and they unwillingly relax.

“Where is she?”

“Opelucid,” he says. His eyes flick wildly between me and Zekrom, like he can’t tell who he’s more afraid of. “She—I’m sure she’s dealt with Marshal and Drayden by now. The city is burning. You can’t go. She’ll take Zekrom.”

I drag a deep breath in. My side aches from the scuffle, and I want to lay back down, but I won’t. I can’t rest when I have the power to stop her. “She can’t. She doesn’t have the blood for it.”

“Then keep Josephine Ebele away from her,” he gasps. “She’ll easily overpower her and take the Wish Maker. If she uses that last wish on—on Zekrom . . .” He looks up in terror at my dragon.

Your friend went for the cold one. She’ll be dead if she doesn’t escape it.

I ignore Zekrom’s snide comment. “Let him up.” Zekrom growls, but does so. Grimsley staggers to his feet, staring up through the rain at Zekrom. “Look at me.” His gaze jumps down. I keep my voice low and level. “You’ve fallen on the wrong side of history. I’m fed up, pally. My loved ones keep getting hurt, and threatened by that bitch in charge because she’s high on power. And I am mad enough to spit nails. Understand?” He nods jerkily. “Now. You had better take your ass to the nearest jail and confess what you’ve done. Because I’ll be damned if today ain’t Iris Asiriu’s LAST day terrorizing this country!”

Grimsley bolts like the devil’s on his heels. Faces watch us from the hospital windows, full of fearful reverence and awe. I take a brief moment to heal Posey of his damage, and then, I reach up for Zekrom. They lower their head so I can mount astride their shoulders. My chest and side hurt, but I ignore it. Damn the pain. And damn Iris Asiriu. What if she’d sent Grimsley to Josey first? Tried to kill her for Quasar?

No. I’ve had enough. I mad enough not just to spit nails, I’m mad enough to chew them. Zekrom bellows, and I know I’ve got the edge over Reshiram. Zekrom brings the rain. Posey is strong, and he’s a water type. I’ll need them to hold that edge over Iris. The others will have to take her dragons.

I hunker down on Zekrom’s back when we fly toward Opelucid City. My body remembers this posture, how to hold on with my knees and the way my ears pop from the force of their wing beats. That’s Abel’s muscle memory invading mine. I quantify these things carefully on the ride there, steadfastly keeping myself viscerally separated from Abel.

I see the smoke rising from Opelucid City before I see the buildings. Zekrom’s tail alights, and lightning chases us across the sky. They bellow a war cry for Reshiram to hear, and there’s a splintering roar that meets us. We close on Opelucid, and we crash.

Zekrom slams into an invisible shield, and I cry out in pain, yanked—I grab the spine on Zekrom’s neck, narrowly managing to keep my seat. We skid down, Zekrom’s claws dragging on the screen. Light Screen? Reflect? No, it has to be something else, something to imprison us—

We land outside of the city, and there’s a crowd of people. I stare in horror, because they’re pressed against the barrier, trying to flee the city that’s literally burning to the ground. Whatever ice Team Plasma left behind, it’s gone, melted beneath the ruling force of Reshiram. The rain pours on the barrier, unable to put out the city.

I throw a pokeball. “Romulus! Brick Break!”

He leaps high and beautiful, and then, he’s yanked like a worm on a string. Romulus hits the dirt with a yip and reels around. Zekrom whips behind us and a deep, threatening rumble swells in my ears.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you.”

Shauntal stands in the torrential rain, flanked by a cofagrigus that’s Mean Look glows in its eyes. On the other side is a banette. My eyes flick over the pokemon. Whatever is keeping the people in the city isn’t these two. She has another pokemon hidden.

“Let the people go!” I shout at her. “They ain’t got nothing to do with this!”

“That’s what she thought you’d say!” Shauntal shouts back. My jaw clacks tight. “The Champion needs a little more time to prepare for her final confrontation with you, Hugh Matisse, but I don’t think you’ll be a challenge for me.”

Zekrom’s growl rises in pitch. Their shoulders hunch under me, and I put a hand on their neck, stilling them. “Oh I’ll break through you to get to that bitch,” I snarl at her. “The violence has to stop here! You can’t keep innocent people herded like cattle, like bait because she’s afraid to face me now! Let them go, and face me squarely!”

“I’m not an idiot!” she snaps. Her banette begins to flank around. I let it, and Romulus tracks its movement. “I have you right where I want you. Iris will have to wait.”

“Where’s Caitlin?” I snap, thinking of the last Elite Four member I haven’t seen. “Is she caging the people in? Cowards, one an all, using humans as shields? You listen to me, Shauntal! This charade stops here! The corruption ends now! And Iris Asiriu’s reign will end today!” There’s a crowd of voices behind me, but I can barely hear their words. They feel like cotton through the blood rushing in my ears, and even though I’m lightheaded, I know they’re with me.

I am their Hero of Ideals. My heart lies with the people.

“It’s time for the violence to stop! I ain’t gonna let Iris continue with the killing! She’s unhinged!” I throw an arm behind me to Opelucid. “She’s burning this city as we speak! You really ain’t got no sympathy in you, do you? No empathy for your fellow man? You’ll let her slaughter as many as she likes all in the name of despotic power?”

“You’re a fool for opposing her!” Shauntal snaps. “Soon she’ll have your dragon too, and then nothing will stop her from freeing this country!”

“She’ll drag us all to hell!” Gods, she’s just as mad, isn’t she? She’s thrown her lot where she will. I can’t change that, and I don’t have the time to argue her. The best I can do is try not to kill her pokemon. I grab Buzzkill’s pokeball. “Last chance, Shauntal! Get out of the way, and we won’t have to hurt you!”

She laughs like I’ve told her the funniest joke. “Recklessly cocky for a trainer who only has six badges,” she says. I clench my jaw. Her humor disappears. “Shadow Ball! Will O Wisp!”

“Brick Break! Thunderbolt!”

Zekrom launches into the sky to avoid the Will O Wisp. Lightning flashes down and rips into the cofagrigus. Romulus pivots on his heel and leaps for the barrier.

The Brick Break shatters the ward like glass. The tide of citizens surge forward, and Shauntal’s face shifts when she realizes she gravely miscalculated.

And then Grimsley deserts crown and country and goes into hiding in Alola.

localhoney

~either i'm careless or i wanna get caught~
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 17, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Localhoney, the Sweet Toxin Pokemon. It's said that the sounds it emits can paralyze even a Gigantamax Grimmsnarl.
Wow, this story is absolutely incredible. I started reading it a couple of days ago and I've been scarfing it down in an attempt to catch up to the present. Overall, I am blown away by the world-building you put into place even from the start, and especially with the history/mythology that really rears its head in the most recent chapters. Once you named the two brothers Cain and Abel, I had a feeling I knew where you were going with Seth but the way it culminated was still incredible to see. I am so god damn impressed that it's hard to be specific about what I've fallen in love with, especially since I've been reading it through so the chapters blend together (in a good way!), but I'm gonna try to give a definitive list of the things that really hooked me.

1. The basic premise of Josey being an undertaker was already so god damn out of left field that I had to at least give the few chapters a chance, but Josey herself was what kept me here. I mean, just being a blue-collar (maybe black collar with all the ash) worker with a ridiculous amount of terrible shit going on in her life, but still being snarky and keeping her wits about it was awesome. Her love for Pokemon, particularly her own, is also great which is why it's that much more painful when one dies or when Kyurem's thoughts would take over and she became ruthless and unyielding.

2. Speaking of, the way you fused the dragons into their Chosens is fucking delicious. Like, once Josey starts to battle Kyurem in her head, you can see how Zekrom and Reshiram have infused themselves and taken over N and Amittai and it's just so cool. Especially when Zekrom takes Hugh and there's way more conflict there than we saw with N since N had already assumed Zekrom into his being for years. Even cooler was when Zekrom and Kyurem were fused and Josey was hearing the thoughts of Hugh, Zekrom, and Kyurem all at the same time, all vying for control.

3. HUGH! I love Hugh. Everything about Hugh is perfect and I am sick and tired of you hurting my boy. He's truly the perfect Hero of Ideals because he doesn't want a world like Zekrom where everybody bows down to his ideals, he wants a world that is ideal and I just thought that was beautiful. Also, fuck Colress for breaking his heart and treating him like shit just for his little science project. I can't wait to see what role he's going to play in the next couple of chapters.

4. The cast of the supporting characters is so STACKED. You do such a good job at making the world feel like, well, a world. People worry when they haven't heard from somebody, the world is falling apart and they're in it but they don't know what's going on so it's nice to see the other side of the coin of the people that aren't having Darkrai nightmares about their genealogical history.

All this to say, this might be my favorite storylocke on the forums at the moment and I absolutely need you to finish it out so I can see Iris get the shit she deserves and for Josey to finally have some god damn PEACE (and some Ingo Vanderbilt alone time).

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
A Pokémon shrouded in hearsay and urban legend, spoken of only in whispered tales and hushed gossip.
I've been following this run for a little while now. Picked it up a few months ago when I was just browsing random runs to see if any caught my eye and... well... this one definitely did. For a "just wing it" story, this one is turning out really flippin' good. Like, seriously... you gotta be lying to us and at least proofreading this thing before you post it! But also seriously, it's tempted me to give that same sort of thing a try myself, though I've not gotten any farther then considering the possibility.

But like, yeah, I'll admit, on a few slow, closing shifts at work, I was slipping to the backroom to work on reading a chapter between moments of actually needing to do my job. Not often that a story hooks me that hard. (Granted, not often I have such a story accessible on a cellphone. Books are harder to carry around.) Just never got around to commenting because... yeah, the internal critic kept wanting to say things and I didn't want to let it say things where it shouldn't. But, whatever, he's currently chloroformed, so no worries there.

But, seriously, for something that's just been an exercise in writing YOLO, it's clear that there has been a lot of thought and care put into the story and world itself. I mean, more seriously because I keep using that word, there are people who try as hard as they can and can't even touch the level of detail, the characters, or the consistency here. It's just, well, good!

I'm gonna say though, you better not kill Iris off. She doesn't deserve that. Instead, she deserves to be tied to a pole somewhere public and it should be every Unova citizen's right to be able to walk up to her and punch her square in the nose whenever they feel the want or need to. Heck, maybe use that last wish to make her immortal so she can be a historical landmark and generation after generation can follow the traditions passed down by their ancestors and punch her in the face.

Magicforbeginners

Generally Incompetent
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 17, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Draws, writes, lives. Poorly, but always improving.
I've been reading Ghost since around chapter 3 (back when I was still a lurker) and I can't say anything about the main story that Rumors didn't. If this is you winging a story, I fear for your full power. And yes, I am in full support of Punching Pole Iris. Josey can set her up in her living room for whenever she needs to blow off some steam. Pop Colress up there too for using Hugh, what a dick.

Loved that Hugh POV from the latest chapter. He's a smart guy and tough as nails, and it really comes through here. Getting back up and toppling a tyrant right after learning his boyfriend's been using him (after a good cry, of course)? He's been the perfect foil for Josey throughout, but he's just as strong a character as she is-he'd work just fine as the main character, and I haven't read much where I can say that about a supporting character. They're normally left behind for the main, but Hugh and Josey make each other stronger as characters. So when Hugh's got the spotlight, he's just as compelling. Best boy right here. You'd better give him a proper boyfriend once he's done being all heroic! He deserves much better than Colress.

Basically all great writing in here, I've heavily enjoyed it (and ended up reading Applin because this was so good I figured Applin would be a fun ride).

Whozawhatcha

i have too many projects
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 12, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pokémon Type
Fire, Flying
@localhoney AHHHHH THIS COMMENT ;-; gosh this is such a good and uplifting comment, it's really wonderful to read it and hear how much you've enjoyed this. Honestly, I set out without the plan of big things happening, or even the worldbuilding, but it all just sort of ran away with me and started taking over the story. I ended up putting a lot of effort into trying to keep the history straight, even if I kept to my rule of really never editing anything but typos. This has definitely been a passion project and this little resurgence of interest here at the end is really carrying me to the ending at a shockingly fast clip. Thanks so much for the wonderful comment, and I hope this climax chapter and the subsequent falling action still keeps you hooked!

@Rumors AGGHHH ANOTHER WONDERFUL COMMENT! I will say, I think some people are better at writing smashing first drafts than they are at editing (that's me) and then other people are much better at editing, and that's where they really shine. (See someone like Obelisk, who has helped me on a future project and REALLY cut out bad things I never realized I was doing. He's really helping me polish.) That, and GitM being unpolished I think is part of its charm. Also, YESSSS, I'm always tickled pink when I get people so hooked that they sneak read at work!

@Magicforbeginners AND A THIRD SMASHING COMMENT. I have been crushed this time around y'all, gosh. Hah, and Iris will receive her dues, no worries. And I dearly fucking LOVE my Hugh to death y'all, I'm so glad I've endeared people to him so thoroughly, because y'all SHOULD love him to death, haha. He's so fucking lovable. He is my golden boy.

“Won’t wave my white flag, no
I won’t go down slow
I’d rather die
Than give up the fight”

White Flag __ Bishop Briggs

I know I’ve made a mistake because it’s too hot. Quasar and I land outside of the Opelucid Gym, and it feels like it’s hell. This isn’t just a blazing summer. This is a manufactured heat by Reshiram. It boils the air, and I suck in a gasp when it burns my flesh.

“There you are.”

I turn, and there’s Iris Asiriu. She stands in the dark hours of the morning flanked by White Truth and black hydra in a burning city. Pitch smoke chokes out the sky. Gossamer flames illuminate the darkness. Her tiara gleams in the flickering light.

My teeth grind, and Kyurem reels in fear, but I control them. They’re safe in the ball for now. I have to face her. I’m through letting her push me around. You know? Sometimes you’ve just had fucking enough, even if that means you’re square across from the most powerful woman in the country and you’re nothing but some nobody undertaker.

She arrests my attention, because Reshiram has both Drayden and Uncle Marshal under their claws.

She smiles at me, something at the razor’s edge of delighted mania. “I thought I would have to hold the city hostage longer to get you to come. Yet, here you are, and you’ve brought me my Wish Maker.”

I feel fucking exposed as hell with just Quasar, and I almost reach to Magnets—trusty Magnets, strong, reliable—but she’s got hostages Magnets can’t help. I toss bred and trained Titan on the field. Iris looks wildly amused that I’ve sent out a pokemon weak to both Reshiram and her Hydreigon. She’s breathing hard, like she can’t catch her breath.

“All I want is the Wish Maker,” she says, and she extends her trembling hand for it. “If you hand it over, I’ll let you live. Them too,” and she flicks a manicured finger to Marshal and Drayden.

“Josey, get out of here!” Uncle Marshal shouts at me from under the paw of the dragon. “Teleport!”

Quasar whimpers in my arms. I don’t teleport.

“What are you even trying to prove?” I ask her.

The smile flickers off her face. Iris draws herself up, and I see it now, the smoke that curls from her ears and mouth when she speaks. She’s burning alive. She snarls, “Oh I have nothing to prove. I’m merely receiving my dues. I am the rightful heir to this kingdom, and I’ll take my crown by force if I have to.” She bares her teeth. “And once I finally have this miserable country under my thumb, I’ll smoke Ghetsis out and let him see the product of his own making. And then,” and she draws in a deep, savoring breath while tucking a stray curl back into place. “Then I’ll kill him. I’ve promised to feed his heart to Dragotha.”

She reaches up to her dark dragon and pets one of its three heads. She’s—She’s literally so sure of herself. She wants to kill Ghetsis. She wants—

I can’t help it. At the end of all things, I’m crying laughing at Iris Asiriu.

“What’s so funny?” she snaps.

God, I must be losing my mind. This has to be what a mental break is, because I’m not even filled with the fear of being in mortal peril. Nothing matters anymore. Because for once, I have something over this bitch. I’ve taken something from her that she can’t ever claim for herself, and it feels good as fuck.

“Ghetsis?” I gasp. “Oh you’re such a stupid bitch.” Iris jolts, like she’s never been insulted in her life. “You’re a HALF BREED!” I throw my hands out to her. “What the fuck did you think would happen? Descendant of Reshiram and KYUREM.” She flinches again, like I’ve struck her by simply saying the name of the forsaken one. “You thought you could contain the flames of Truth when they already rejected you? You’re ice cold, Iris, and the flames are burning you alive.”

Reshiram keens in pained, outraged servitude. Their head thrashes, and the iron shackles around their neck glow with the power of the Wish enslaving them.

“I know your type,” I seethe at her. “You hunger, don’t you? You keep grasping at anything to fill you up and you can’t. Not money, not clothing, not the most powerful pokemon or even the whole fucking country. It don’t mean shit to you.” I smile at her with ravenous teeth. The more I stand here with Kyurem, the more I feel their cold fighting the heat. “You think getting revenge on daddy dearest is going to fill you up, and it’s not. You’re blood of Kyurem, and you’ll never escape that!”

“I don’t need to!” she screams. She jabs a finger up at Reshiram. “I OWN this dragon now! And with one more wish I’ll own Zekrom too! I’ll kill Ghetsis, and I’ll kill that icy shell of a dragon, and then it won’t matter! Nothing will but the power I earned for myself!”

I laugh until a hysterical giggle bubbles out of my throat. “Oh it’s too late for that,” I tell her. I sit smugly on my heels. “Ghetsis? He’s already dead.” Iris draws of color. Her hands shake.

“No. You’re lying!”

“I killed him,” I say, and there’s something wrong about me feeling so proud of it, but I don’t care. The stunned outrage on Iris’s face is too delicious to pass up. “I had Kyurem kill him. It was easy. He didn’t even see it coming.” I grin. “So I’m going to do it to you too.”

Iris starts to shake. Color floods into her cheeks, but it’s red with the heat of anger. “You’re not capable,” she says, but there’s a shake in her voice. She knows it’s true. She just doesn’t want to believe it. “You’re weak! You spent this entire time burying your head in your ass! You can’t kill anyone! You don’t have what it takes!”

I roll Magnets’s ball in my hand. I cozy up to Kyurem’s strength, and steam rises from me in the wake of Reshiram’s heat. I give her a thin smile.

“Care to test that theory?”

Iris is stricken for a brief moment. Then, she gathers all that cold fury inside of her, and she hunches against the heat that’s burning her from the inside out. She growls, “I won’t even have to kill you using Reshiram. My team is more than a match for one lousy undertaker,” and she chooses to burn on a pyre of her own making.

“Fire Blast!”

I jolt, so full of steel types that can’t weather the heat. I shout, “Protect! Psychic, on the claws!”

Quasar darts forward to Titan, spreads his little arms, and a dome of shimmering light spreads over them. Dragotha shoots a blast of fire so hot that it yanks a gritted scream from between my teeth.

Titan’s Psychic grabs Reshiram’s claws, the the dragon bellows when it teeters up and is forced to release Drayden and Uncle Marshal. The men scramble, and Iris’s eyes flick to them before flying back to me. She’s decided they mean nothing, like she decides of everyone she meets. She thinks I’m nothing too, but I’m about to make her realize she didn’t step on a piece of shit; she stepped on a snake. She’s going to feel what kind of a bite I really have!

“Teleport!” I protect Quasar first. “Meteor Mash!”

“Focus Blast!”

Quasar blinks to my arms. I’m lucky. Her attack goes hurtling past Titan because Titan’s been raised for fighting like this. He crouches under it and leaps, landing with an earth-shattering rattle in front of Dragotha. The heads all rear back with hisses, and Titan lifts one starry arm and plows the dragon into the dirt.

Iris stares, impervious to how her dragon roars in pain. She says, “Fire Blast,” with all the calmness of a woman who’s slaughtered many teams before.

From under Titan, an onslaught of fire explodes like a bomb. Titan keens in pain, but I don’t relent. I snap, “Hammer Arm! Crush it!”

The thing about young pokemon battling is that the battles are usually over quickly. They don’t have the stamina for long battles. In the mid-tiers, pokemon have grown. They have stamina, strength, but not the sheer power to make it quick. Battles are longer.

When you have extremely powerful pokemon? That shit can be over in seconds, and it’s over that fast here.

I watch Titan whale on the dragon pinned beneath it. Iris doesn’t help Dragotha at first—she’s convinced she can hit us with one more Fire Blast and kill us. But she can’t. Dragotha has three heads; Titan has four legs. Titan slams one clawed foot on a squirming neck and pins it there. A Fire Blast flies wide, and the second head is pinned. Iris jolts, realizing Dragotha can’t squirm out from under my heavy metagross.

“Surf!” she cries. She hopes the surging water will push us off and give her room to flee. Titan hunkers down and takes it, claws clinging to the concrete. He doesn’t budge, and Iris screams when he pins the main head. The final Hammer Arm falls like a tree. Ribs crack, and the dragon’s chest cavity pulps under the force of it.

Iris screams like a banshee. A grin splits my features. Take that, you fucking bitch. How does it feel to know you underestimated me?

Titan hurls the corpse out of the way. Iris is shaking, and the angrier she gets, the more smoke pours out of her. Her gasps are ragged, and I watch her, tickled pink to know she hurts. She’s cracking under the weight of it all. I’m standing opposite of her with Reshiram roaring to the sky for blood. Its heat sears from here; I hope she cooks alive from her boiling blood.

“Labrys!” I jolt when her haxorus hits the field. Reshiram leaps with spread wings. “Earthquake!”

“Magnet Rise!”

They’re too fast. The earth jerks from beneath my feet, and the concrete cracks apart like thunder. Earth juts up and impales into Titan. I watch the hardy pokemon shatter, broken concrete pushed through his center.

Shit! I didn’t expect her haxorus so soon! I grab another apricorn. “Lazarus!” Iris scowls in annoyance. She remembers him. I hope she remembers him like the biggest pain in her ass. The pokemon she tried to kill when he was born. The pokemon she knows kicked Reshiram’s ass.

“Power Split!”

“Dragon Dance.”

She acts like she doesn’t mind it, but I know better. This is going to help even the playing field, so that fucking dragon can’t wreck through us. Labrys growls when her strength is sapped, but she gains it back when she launches into a ferocious dance.

“Will O Wisp!”

“Dragon Dance.”

Lazarus lifts smoky hands and flings blue bulbs of fire their way. Labrys deftly dodges as the frantic dance gains speed and sharpens her dulled tusks.

I swallow, suddenly realizing Lazarus is outclassed. “Will O Wisp!” Even with the Power Split, I fear for how hard she’s going to hit us now that she’s taken her time to set up. If we can’t land this, we’re screwed.

We don’t land it. Her haxorus is too fast and dodges beneath it. “Outrage.” The spines, claws, and scythe-like tusks all gleam and sharpen to razor edges. Labrys bum rushes Lazarus in a furious onslaught of reckless attacking that begins to shred my ghost. Lazarus keens and smokes like Golem, and my heart squashes.

“Dark Pulse!”

Somewhere in the center of the slaughter, Lazarus unleashes a messy Dark Pulse that hits the dragon, but Labrys isn’t deterred from her single-minded barbarism. Red claws rip through the pulse. Her head swings, and it cleaves through Lazarus. He doesn’t make a peep when his child-sized coffin hits the ground in two pieces.

I’m sweating. Kyurem is snarling in my head, frothing at the bits for action, but I can’t put them out there. I know they could kill her dragons, but she knows it too. Reshiram lurks like a dog on a chain, flames licking between their teeth as they snap at the air. The second Kyurem hits the field, it’s all over. Reshiram will kill them. Where the fuck is Hugh?

Reshiram’s neck snaps upward. They roar a noise that damn near shatters my eardrums. A roar answers them back. I look, and I see the dark of the rain beyond a shimmering dome around the city. Lightning whips across the sky and briefly illuminates the dragon in question.

Please god, get the fuck over here, Hugh.

We’re so close. I grab Prick’s ball and release my murderous driedel. Iris looks away from Zekrom and back to me. She cocks her head and says, “We’ll have to make this quick. I have a date with destiny. X-Scissor!”

“Iron Defense!”

I protect her first. My ferrothorn hunkers down and takes the brunt of her blow, but it’s not an X-Scissor. Labrys still sees red with her Outrage and thrashes in close, and Prick survives. “Iron Head!” She plants her barbed vines in the wrecked earth, reels her body back, and plows her spiny body into Labrys. The dragon keens in pain, and I see the scuffs in her scales and the blood running in rivulets down her chest. The haxorus has lost steam, and I’m going to finally kill the fucking thing!

“X-Scissor!” Iris leads with a deadly charge.

“Iron Defense!” The noise when those ax-like tusks hit Prick is like an exploding boiler. I wince, but against all odds, Prick is too stubborn to die. I yell, “Power Whip! Kill it!” and Iris shouts something I don’t hear. The blood in my ears pounds.

Prick reels up with glowing green vines, and she slams down into the haxorus with all her might. Labrys hits the dirt, three bloody gashes gouged deep through her scales. Her raw flesh gleams in the fire light.

Reshiram is still howling with aggression, desperate to kill us, but Iris is cocky. She’s still convinced she can take us with just her dragons and doesn’t use them. I snap, “Power Whip!” and Iris cries out. I hear it in her voice—

Fear. Labrys zips into her pokeball and the ball chimes with life support. Prick’s vines tear into concrete. I’m terrified, but I lick my lips, tasting the idea of making the champion fear something in her life. It feels good. I’m glad that here, at the end of things, I can take things away from her, make her feel the fear I’ve been living with my whole life, and realize she’s not fucking invincible. I’m not the only one here who can bleed.

Iris’s lips purse and she shakes in rage. Smoke is pouring from her in swathes now, and she shrieks and clutches her head. “I’m in charge!” she screams to a voice I can’t hear. “You answer to me! I am the queen you’ve searched for! Don’t you DARE disrespect me!”

Kyurem rumbles in my head, pleased. My mouth is twitching between fear and a grin. Sucks to suck, Iris.

“Grímhilde!”

The smile flickers off my face when a heavy bastion of an aggron takes the field. Iris’s eyes are edged with unhinged mania. “Earthquake!”

“Power Whip!”

Prick is hurt, but she’s still a little faster than the weight of an aggron. She lurches toward them, and the aggron lifts a fat leg and stomps. Prick’s limbs grow shocking green and slam down on the steel type, and they crash together with a horrendous screech, like old breaks. The ruined land buckles and clips her. Fucking shit—I know she’s dead, and I falter. I have to keep the heat on her, but all I have is Kyurem, all I have is Magnets, all I have is Quasar. That Earthquake will ruin Magnets. It’s a rock and steel type. It’ll kill Kyurem if Reshiram doesn’t kill them first. Quasar is a baby.

My knuckles tighten around Magnets, and for one horrible moment, I realize we’re screwed. We can’t beat her. She’s too powerful for us, and why wouldn’t she be? I saw the news when she slaughtered her way through the Elite Four. I remember when Uncle Marshal came home, licked by her power, grieving his medicham and toxicroak. What made me think I could do different?

Iris reads my hesitation with a horrible smile that looks more like she’s baring her teeth. “Head Smash,” she snarls, and I realize, she has no qualms about killing me. I don’t want to do it, but I do.

“Magnets!” He appears in a flash of light, and he squeals like a cheese grater rubbing on a chalk board. The Head Smash hurts him, but he warbles and sparks with anger.

“Thunderbolt!”

There’s a charge in the air. Magnets unleashes a Thunderbolt like I’ve never seen, and it tattoos on my eyelids. The aggron bellows in agony.

Quasar flits from my hands. “Wait! Quasar!” He rises up, humming and tail ribbons glowing.

“Earthquake!” Iris shrieks, and I have no way to stop it.

A silent scream sticks in my throat when Magnets cracks like glass. My little electricity sucker clangs to the ground, lifeless. His ball cracks in my hand.

Iris is smoking like she’s about to combust. She’s ragged at the end of things, and she says to me, “What was that about you killing ME?” She grins. “Head Smash!”

The aggron charges. I grab Kyurem’s ball. Quasar’s humming reaches an unbearable pitch—not high, like I would have expected, but terribly low, like an ominous, otherworldly bass. He sings like a distant star at a frequency that vibrates my eardrums until they pop.

I look up. His tails and arms and legs spread. He looks just like a golden star. There’s a white light on his stomach. His Third Eye opens.

A beam of shocking silver light tears into the aggron. The monster howls in the center of the blast, and I gape at Quasar. What the fuck. He is BABY. A little MURDER baby!

The aggron falls in a smoking heap. It’s armor has been flayed back. It keens on the ground, trembling. Iris looks like she’s swallowed something sour. She returns her beast and scowls.

“Reshiram, grab that Jirachi.”

I jolt. “Quasar!” I hold my hands out to him. “Teleport!”

He looks staggered in the wake of such a powerful attack. He lists downward to me, and Reshiram’s screech rattles the sky. The great dragon lurches forward. At my ankles, I feel an inky cold, and the weight of my Darkrai leaves me.

There’s a blur of black. A blob of darkness shoots out and splats in Reshiram’s face. A dark bubble encases the dragon, and they collapse in a heap in the middle of the ruined street, dead asleep. I gape as Mr. Sandman plants himself between me and Iris. Quasar floats down to me, whimpering and rubbing his belly. I grab him and pull him close.

Iris shrieks with the biggest tantrum I’ve seen yet, complete with a stamp of her foot. “Would you just roll over and DIE already!” She releases an archeops. “Acrobatics!”

I don’t know what the fuck is happening here, but—”Dark Pulse!”

Mr. Sandman blasts the thing, and I watch as Reshiram quakes in its sleep. The nightmares. I hope it bloody hurts. The archeops crashes into Mr. Sandman, and another ball pops.

I look, and for some reason, it doesn’t compute for me that there’s a druddigon in front of me. Iris snaps, “Outrage!” and the dragon goes hurtling for me. I shriek, running several steps backwards when Mr. Sandman is there again. A Dark Void smacks the druddigon and it tumbles to the ground, asleep. The noise Iris makes could have woke the dead, but not the pokemon in front of her.

Dark Voids pelt the archeops’s way, but it’s too fast for Mr. Sandman. It dances around him with an acrobatics. The full body of Reshiram twitches. My head yanks back, and I see one of those expensive potions, the ones that heal status, in Iris’s hand. The dragon leaps up with a bellow.

“Blue Flare!”

Reshiram’s tail churns. Disgusting heat swathes the area until I can’t breathe. I yell, “Protect!” and Quasar extends his hands.

I hunch over him. Even through the Protect, I can still feel the way the earth rumbles under our feet, and the light blazes through my closed eyes. It’s so hot I want to fucking vomit.

When it’s over, I look up. Beyond Quasar’s Protect, I see Mr. Sandman. He’s standing in the middle of a blackened street, electric blue eyes glowing, behind his own Protect. Iris’s teeth click audibly in the abrupt silence.

The wind comes from behind me, and with it, it carries the stench of ozone. The light of morning is muffled by dark clouds. A heavy sheet of rain pours into the city. I look, and in the black, I see the amorphous shape of the Pitch Black dragon land. It lifts its head to the sky with a bellow, and electricity is charging in its tail.

Astride its neck is Hugh, soaked to the bone and jaw hard, looking every bit like a Hero of Ideals.

He tosses out a pokeball, and it’s Posey. And gods, the Samurott looks vicious with his trident and claws and armor and teeth; he looks nothing like the little oshawott that was once in my apartment. Hugh dismounts from Zekrom, and he shouts, “That’s enough, Iris! It’s over! The tides have turned!”

“This war is over when I SAY it’s over!” she screams, and I can’t tell if it’s her, Amittai, or Cain that’s driving her. “Dragon Pulse! Dragon Claw!”

“Fusion Bolt! Swords Dance!”

I point at the archeops. “Dark Void!”

Iris has shifted her undivided attention to Hugh, so neither she nor the archeops sees Mr. Sandman coming. The Dark Void engulfs the archeops mid-stride, and the raptor hits the dirt. We mitigate one attack from Zekrom. The Fusion Bolt hits Reshiram dead on, and it’s like a transformer has blown the crack of thunder is so loud and the lightning so bright. It’s like an explosion. The archeops? Cooked. Reshiram?

They tear through it, open their mouth, and pummel Zekrom with a Dragon Pulse that tears into their flesh. Zekrom roars in pain.

Shit, shit—! Kyurem! Quasar! I remember my plan at the last second, and I fumble for Kyurem’s ball. I need—shit, fuck, I need something to cut myself with—

Hugh stands akimbo and digs in his heels. He snaps, “Razor Shell!” and Posey races forward and begins laying into Reshiram with all his might. Blood and scales rip from the dragon. Zekrom lunges forward with a—“Crunch!” and latches onto Reshiram’s neck. I gape before realizing in terror that Hugh might be here to kill, not to—

My eyes latch to the nearest shop. The windows are busted from the Earthquakes. I run over, and in my haste, I don’t think about cutting nicely, or shallow. I slam my fist into the glass, and the broken edges puncture in deep.

Mr. Sandman lingers near me. Reshiram howls. Zekrom has Reshiram by the throat, and they sling the white dragon into the dirt. Posey lingers close with bloodied Razor Shells, and Hugh is bellowing, “Yield, Iris! I don’t want to kill them!”

And Iris is in a mad fucking rage, screaming, “I won’t be defeated by the likes of YOU!” She sends out her lapras, howling, “Blizzard!”

Zekrom roars. I don’t hear or see where Hugh is in the whiteout. I release Kyurem, and they land in an icy rage on the sidelines. They bring with them a gust of cold that soothes my burning skin. The warm summer rain cools to an icy deluge in Kyurem’s presence.

Kyurem releases a caterwaul, and both dragons whip their heads to us. I forcibly restrain Kyurem when I feel the cold building to kill the Tao Twins. I smear the blood on Quasar’s remaining tag, and his Third Eye opens.

Iris’s eyes widen in terror. “NO—!” But she can’t stop me. I have everyone right where I want them.

I hold Quasar close. I state it as clearly as I can. I say, “I wish Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem were whole again.”

Iris’s shouts of defiance are drowned out by the dragons roaring. I see them fight it, so consumed with their hatred of one another and twisted by rage. They dig their claws into the concrete and scrabble at the ground when they’re pulled to one another like a magneton’s three magnemite. But Quasar glows. The alien writing on his tags sparkle and vanish. The dragons blaze white like it’s evolution, and they coalesce in the middle of the street.

Briefly, I’m put in mind of Magnets, and my heart hurts.

The dragon that remains is magnificent. They lift their head and bellow to the sky, throat shaking at the force of it. The sound is triumphant. The sound is joyous. They’re some sort of color between black and white and icy blue, like a gleaming silver. I’ve never seen such a beautiful creature in my life.

Everyone is shocked to silence seeing the Original One in the middle of Opelucid Street. Even Iris. The great dragon turns to me, and I tremble under their gaze. It’s strange, to both sense them, all three parts and no longer divided, and yet have no control over them anymore. They’re free. They come to me, and they lean their neck down and nudge my front. Unbelieving, my hands touch their cheeks. Hot breath huffs through their nose. I hear a voice in my head, and they sound like something divine.

Thank you, Josephine Ebele.

My mouth works silently. The Original One stands tall in the street, and they open their wings. I stare into transparent webbing, and the Original One leaps with another roar, and we watch them disappear into the sky and to the morning horizon.

The silence afterward is deafening. The only sound is Iris’s stuttering, like she still can’t believe what she saw. My knees feel like jello. A hiccup sounds above me, and Quasar drifts down. He blinks drowsily, and I reach up and pull him down to me, shaking.

“Hey sweetie. Hey, you did good.”

He coos, and he nuzzles close. His long, golden coattails wrap up around him, and he swaddles himself. Quasar’s eyes are so heavy he can’t keep them shut anymore. He drifts—upward.

“Wait—Wait, Quasar!” He lifts up like he’s pulled by a magnet. I heave down on him, trying to stop him, but he rises until my feet lift off the ground. Until my slick, bloody, weak hands can’t hold onto him anymore, and I fall. “Quasar wait!” But that’s it, isn’t it? I watch Quasar, back in his slumber, rise up to the stars, and hot tears streak down my cheeks. My hobbled knees hit the ground. “Quasar,” I blubber, but he just keeps rising higher and higher, far away from me, and I know I’m never going to have him back. Just like I’ll never have Prick, I’ll never have Titan, I’ll never have Lazarus, and I’ll never have my Magnets. “Don’t go, Quasar. Please.”

Why does everyone I love leave me?

Quasar the Jirachi: died vs a darmanitan in Victory Road

ELITE FOUR TEAM:
Lazarus the Cofagrigus: died vs Marshal's conkeldurr
Salt Bitch the Jellicent: died vs Marshal's conkeldurr
Titan the Metagross: died vs Grimsley's krookodile
Prick the Ferrothorn: died vs Iris's haxorus
Magnets the Magnezone: died vs Iris's haxorus
Mr. Sandman the Darkrai

Current team: Mr. Sandman, the Darkrai

So. Things are basically uneventful? Until a Darmanitan in Victory Road ruined Jirachi.

RIP QUASAR.

Mr. Sandman the Darkrai joined the party.

Then, the Elite Four slaughters us. I go to Marshal first since he’s super effective against all my steel types. Think I’ll be able to stonewall him with my ghosts, and I do. Until that fucking Conkeldurr. I burn him, but he gets a crit hit Stone Edge on Lazarus and kills him. A stone edge also kills poor Salt Bitch. Even WITH the fucking burn on him.
RIP LAZARUS.
RIP SALT BITCH.

Then I sweep the psychic bitch with Mr. Sandman.

I head to Grimsley. I do fine until his Krookodile. Using Titan, and I get hit with an Earthquake before my Magnet Rise gets off. I go for a Zen Headbutt, he outspeeds me with Foul Play and Titan bites it.
RIP TITAN.

I sweep the ghost girl fine.

Then Iris. Iris slaughtered the rest of my team. Magnets and Prick finally go down after they’ve been with me so long. Magnets in particular fucked me up. The Haxorus took down both of them. Crit hit Earthquake got Magnets, which I really should have expected earthquake. And Dragon Danced X-Scissor took down even Prick. Finished it off with Mr. Sandman and basically 1v3’ed the rest of her team.
RIP MAGNETS.
RIP PRICK.

Other notes:
That brings the death count for GitM to a total of 11.

Candy the cottonee. (vs burgh)
Golem the golett. (vs elesa)
Crag the gigalith. (vs shadow triad member)
Seraph the sigilyph. (vs ghetsis)
Lumiere the lampent. (grinding)
Quasar.
Salt Bitch.
Lazarus.
Titan.
Prick.
Magnets.

Mr. Sandman literally saved us from Iris. I remember him being fast enough to out speed her pokemon, so I literally Dark Void haxed my way to the win. It really crushed me that Marshal wrecked us so bad? He was the first one I fought, so I ended up fighting through the rest of the Elite Four with a gimped team. And I knew despite the fact that Marshal hurt us so bad, that I couldn't have it happen in story, so naturally Lazarus died to Iris (and I got rid of Salt Bitch early against Ghetsis because she had no pokeball, which made her VERY hard to tote around in story.)

So uh......yeah. We didn't quite wipe. All hail Mr. Sandman.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)