• Ash has been all over the news lately and this site is no exception! Check out Ashes to Ashes, the latest featured run!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes recieving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our new Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • Happy tapaversary, Guest! It's been about a year since the Tapatalk Takeover; if you'd like to make a donation to us to celebrate the fact that we tapped out of that site, please click here.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about the new Critique Level Tags!
  • The second episode of Nuzlocke City Radio is here! Tune in for our discussion on the history and analysis of gijinkas, catch up on the biggest forum news, and we finally settle the score between Team Aqua and Team Magma in The Debatelockers!

Screenshot Unova Commentary Fun with Water: a White Hoenn Randomizer

Thread Description
A girl, and a whole lot of blue. Last update: 10/16/19

lincanon

Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 11, 2019
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
she/her, they/them
Pokémon Type
Water, Ghost
Hi! I'm lincanon. I've been lurking the forums for years under different names. Now that the new forums are live, I figured it's time to stop lurking and start posting!

There's the game I'm playing! There's randomized Gen 3 Pokemon in it instead of the normal ones. Exciting.

I'd love to make something higher effort than this sometime in the future, but I'm gonna keep it simple for now. Updates will come when I feel like it. I'll try to do at least one a week, but no promises.

1. Basic Nuzlocke stuff. Catch the first encounter only, faint=death, etc.
2. Dupes clause. If I run into something in the same family as something I have owned or currently own, I must skip it until I find something new.
3. If I wipe, the run is over. I don't want to have to grind up a new team.
4. If I screwed up my randomizer settings and a non-Hoenn Pokemon comes up, I can't use it.
5. I can break rules if I need to use an HM to progress, and I do not own a Pokemon that can learn the move.

You don't have to look at these. Basically, I just replaced each wild species with one from Gen 3 that has similar strength. I did the same thing to trainers. I forgot to randomize static Pokemon (gifts, etc). Whoops. I also randomized trainer class names just for fun. Besides those, most things like items, TMs, learnsets, etc are vanilla.

I would have changed some settings now, but I'm stuck with these ones.

Update One (You are here!)

Okay, let's start the actual run.

Intro stuff. I'm gonna breeze through most of the start, because it's really boring.

I decided to let the RNG decide here. 1 is Treecko, 2 is Torchic, 3 is Mudkip.

Mudkip it is. I'm not thrilled to have a water starter in this water-infested generation, but I can't be mad about it - I'm a fan of all three starters.

I beat Cheren and Bianca without much trouble and steal their pocket change. These battles give a lot more EXP than in the vanilla game for some reason, not sure why, No complaints though.

More intro stuff. I name my Mudkip Cam for no particular reason, it's just the name that came to mind. Expect more of that.

This scene is so cute. I live for this sort of cheesy stuff.

Don't know where Juniper found that Patrat. None of those in Gen 3.

Finally, real gameplay. Let's see what our first catch will be!

Ooh, interesting. Azumarill has always been one of my favorite Pokemon, and even though it overlaps with Cam pretty heavily, it could be cool on the unlikely chance it actually has Huge Power.

Whenever there's anything like Marill where the species has one great ability and one less great ability, I always expect to get the worse one. I've gotten Togepi in Platinum and HeartGold many, many times, and I've gotten Serene Grace maybe twice. Bracing myself...

Wait, she actually has Huge Power! This never happens! I should go buy lottery tickets. I don't even care about the Modest nature and the type overlap, this is awesome.

I forgot to check Cam's nature so I did that too. Can't complain about a neutral nature.

More intro stuff. I ignore Ghetsis' pep rally to grind Natasha up to level 7.

...Or not. Honestly, even though this was an unlucky crit I was being really careless about Natasha's HP. There's no reason this should have happened. Goodbye, my Huge Power Marill. I'll probably never see one of you in a run again. Maybe I'll skip those lottery tickets.

Didn't think I would need this so soon. Sorry, Natasha. Hopefully no one else will be joining you down there. :(

Team Plasma is by far my favorite "evil team". Their values are actually pretty interesting to think about, even if Ghetsis is a bit of a phony.

Get 'em, Cheren.

This was scary until I remembered that I learned Mud-Slap at Level 6. Fun fact- since Torchic doesn't learn a non-Normal attacking move until Ember until Level 10, if the RNG had picked it and I still caught Natasha the run would almost certainly be over here. Maybe Mudkip isn't so bad.

Not too bad in the end. It used Screech on Cam two or three times, but thankfully since I was spamming Mud-Slap it missed all of the Knock Offs it went for. I think I would have been fine, but it could have gone badly.

Off to Route 2! I need to drown my grief by capturing more local wildlife and using them to beat up little kids' pets.

Let's see what the randomizer has in store for me.

This was the other thing I could have had on Route 1. Not bad at all. Patches up Cam's Grass weakness, and I do like this line a lot.

Finally. If I ran out of balls I don't think I could bear to go on.

I named him Spencer, forgot to screenshot it. Never complain about neutral natures. He's already level 7, too, so I don't even have to grind. Lucky me.

Restocking after Spencer burned through my supply of balls.

There's the other Pokemon on this route besides Taillow and Marill. As much as I like the look of Masquerain, I'd much rather have Spencer than yet another Water type. More of that on the way, I'm sure.

This person had a Surskit. No trouble.

Spencer is missing one Peck PP from eating that kid's pet bug. I guess I should stick to the path from here on out. Just in case, right?

Oh.

Well, I guess I'll have to fight another trainer after all. Male swimmer, huh? Never judge a book by its cover.

Cute it may be, but that Trapinch was brutal. 60 BP Bite off 100 base Attack hurts. I'm glad to have learned Water Gun somewhere around here, otherwise that battle would have been a lot tougher.

Nice Lillipup. The color scheme's not so far off, really. For a route with absolutely no water, there sure are a lot of swimmers here.

It's Bianca again!

Easy. If there's one good thing about losing my first catch, it's that I ended up just a bit overleveled for this part.

Bianca accepts her defeat with just a bit too much grace. Seriously, to stay this chipper after such a brutal beating is pretty admirable, at least to me.

New city! And when there's a new city, there's new city things to do. Like healing, and shopping!

And beating up some more Swimmers!

Next time: Action! Crime! More action! You won't want to miss the next exciting episode!

Last edited:

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Rock
Pokédex Entry
Oh, so when Onix eats rocks and soil, it's fine, but when I do it, it's suddenly "an affront to nature" and "destroying Mrs. Crenshaw's zen garden"?
Hitting a Ghost early game like that is weird, since non-normal moves can be hard to come by. Forcing it to struggle would have been tedious. Good luck finding good Hoenn 'mons

lincanon

Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 11, 2019
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
she/her, they/them
Pokémon Type
Water, Ghost
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have more screenshots from my first play session so here's another update.

Hitting a Ghost early game like that is weird, since non-normal moves can be hard to come by. Forcing it to struggle would have been tedious. Good luck finding good Hoenn 'mons
Yeah, it could have been really bad. I don't think I would have even gotten to Struggle, it had Screech + Knock Off. Only reason I escaped damageless was Mud-Slap lowering its accuracy. Thanks!

The first Dreamyard trainer had this. My entire team is weak to Electric. D:

Thankfully, it seems like the only Electric move she has is Thunder Wave.

Not so bad.

The next Pokemon was a lot worse, though. This Snorunt spammed Double Team, which along with being paralyzed made this a huge pain. I have nothing to heal the paralysis, and I can't switch to Spencer or he'll eat a STAB SE Powder Snow.

A crit works in my favor this time. Praise the lord.

The other trainer was, thankfully, a lot easier. That's a Peck from Spencer on the Nincada - it killed in one hit.

Yes. Please give me my "Pansear." Can't wait for this, my team's feeling really short on numbers.

Oh it's actually a Pansear.

At this point I realized that I had forgotten to randomize static Pokemon, including gifts. In the spirit of the randomizer, I decided on the spot not to use it. Seems like I'll be rolling with a team of two for the first gym.

Let's go fight Cheren!

Before that, though, I randomly talked to this guy and he gave me a quiz. I've never bothered with this before.

It wasn't very hard. I think this was made so a kid with no knowledge could figure it out just based on common sense.

No, I came looking for you, silly.

That's more like it.

Cheren's lead was a Gulpin that spammed Yawn. I switched around for a bit hoping it would stop, but no dice.

Eventually I just let Cam eat the sleep, then switch in Spencer. The AI wouldn't use Yawn on a sleeping Pokemon, so I'm guaranteed a free hit with Spencer.

I don't even remember what happened here. I think the Gulpin managed to live two attacks due to its berry, and was able to get a Yawn off on Spencer.

I brought Cam back in and just let the Gulpin pound him until he woke up.

Eventually it worked.

With Spencer's relatively low defenses, I was scared and decided to heal right away. I don't think a crit would kill, but after Natasha, I was paranoid.

Finally.

As penance for this incredibly annoying and surprisingly tough battle, Cheren gives us a grand prize of three Oran Berries. It's something. Hopefully I remember to actually use these this time.

Gym time.

Wow, that's powerful. A strong Baltoy for a Strong Man.

Cam is stronger, though.

Man? Seriously? What the hell kind of trainer class is that? I've never even seen this in my life. I couldn't even find it on Bulbapedia.

Oh god. I hope this thing doesn't have Counter or Mirror Coat yet.

Thankfully all it did was Splash and Encore. This randomizer loves giving me scary-looking things that aren't actually a threat.

Trapinches aren't so scary anymore, either.

Before fighting the Gym I leveled up Spencer. I was going to grind up to 14, to match the leader's ace, but after how slow just going half a level up was I decided to not do that.

Here's the team. What they lack in numbers they make up for by being pretty good. Despite being a level under what I wanted, I feel pretty prepared for this gym. Can't help but feel like I'm forgetting something, though...

There we go.

Cilan's laid-back battle pose totally doesn't match his wimpy dialogue. It's a really odd choice.

Anyways, his first Pokemon is another Trapinch. I switch in my dedicated Trapinch destroyer.

That Oran Berry came in handy. Cam beating Trapinches is almost starting to get old.

Cilan's taken a page out of N's book and uses a Shuppet as his ace, but thankfully I have a better answer than Mud-Slapping it to death this time. Spencer will be immune to any Ghost type shenanigans it might have, and can hit it hard with his new Wing Attack.

...which is exactly what happened. All it did was Curse and make the job quicker for me.

Not hard at all. This battle is a lot tougher in vanilla. Also, a surprise? Rude.

Right after we leave, Fennel drags us into her bedroom. Take me to dinner first, geez, Or at least to the Pokemon Center, my team is a little bit beaten.

Plot happens. Before going back to the Dreamyard, I take a somewhat-needed heal. Spencer will probably have to learn Cut here, which sucks, but it is what it is. I'll just teach it to him really quick...

...Oh. That's a problem. I don't have anything in the box. Natasha's dead body can't learn Cut. I don't even think anything I could have possibly caught up to this point can learn it.

I'm left with only one option.

Having a Gen 5 Pokemon feels very dirty. I name him Machete, because the only thing I'll use him for is to chop through this bush. Illegal Pokemon don't get real names.

I wonder if I would have been softlocked if the Pansear had randomized into something that doesn't learn Cut. None of the things I could have caught before can learn it, I don't think. Maybe forgetting to randomize gifts was a blessing in disguise.

Next time: Justice for Team Plasma. Justice for illegal Pokemon. Justice for little children. And I actually catch things! You can't miss it.

L'Belle

:)
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 13, 2019
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Cool
Pokédex Entry
Enjoys reading and is generally friendly, but can be a little lazy when it comes down to it.
I really enjoy the idea of this run. Setting it to all Gen 3 Pokémon really does make it feel like you're playing a hoenn game or something haha. I really like your commentary as well. I must admit I laughed harder than I should have when that maid showed up as "Man". I've never heard of that trainer class, but i've also never heard of strong man, so eh. I'll be keeping my eye on this one!

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Rock
Pokédex Entry
Oh, so when Onix eats rocks and soil, it's fine, but when I do it, it's suddenly "an affront to nature" and "destroying Mrs. Crenshaw's zen garden"?

lincanon

Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 11, 2019
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
she/her, they/them
Pokémon Type
Water, Ghost
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I really enjoy the idea of this run. Setting it to all Gen 3 Pokémon really does make it feel like you're playing a hoenn game or something haha. I really like your commentary as well. I must admit I laughed harder than I should have when that maid showed up as "Man". I've never heard of that trainer class, but i've also never heard of strong man, so eh. I'll be keeping my eye on this one!
Yeah, that trainer class really baffled me when I saw it. Not a lot of traditional gender role conformity in this run, it seems. "Man" is just a ridiculous name for a class no matter what way you look at it. Thank you for the kind words!

I have no idea who this is but I guarantee no elemental monkey in history has ever been that cool.

No. I play with sound off.

Blah blah not a Gen 3 Pokemon. I've said this, like, twice already and I'm barely past the first gym.

Suddenly Team Plasma shows up and starts yelling at the Munna. It doesn't seem to mind too much.

When words fail, they turn to violence.

And when violence fails, they turn to more violence.

Seems like all the grunts are Artists now. When they aren't attempting to steal Pokemon from children, they enjoy painting and playing the violin. Everyone needs a hobby, I guess.

Easy. They might be artists, but they aren't too proficient in the art of battling.

Of course, they don't care that we beat them and just keep on as they were. You don't need Pokemon when you can just punch the Munna.

Then Ghetsis shows up and gives them a stern talking to.

Oh. Two Ghetsises. They continue scolding the grunts, eventually merging into one super-Ghetsis. The image is too horrifying for these fragile grunts, and they run for their lives.

But it was just a dream the whole time. Thank god, if I had to deal with a crazy super-Ghetsis in the endgame instead of the normal one I might be in trouble.

And then Fennel shows up. In the end, we really didn't accomplish anything here. I didn't remember this encounter being so lame.

But whatever, it's fine. I can actually catch something now! As much as I love Spencer and Cam, I've been itching for a third team member. The dynamic duo have some holes that need patching.

Or I could run into yet another Water-type. At least this one's not blue.

Sigh...

Also, get it? Michelle? Mi-shell? Hehehehe this was actually completely unintentional and I only realized it just after hitting OK.

I also take the time to pick up some more loot here. I sort of like this area, the ruined building look is kind of cool. I wish we could spend more time here.

For all the nothing we did to get that Dream Mist, Fennel gives us something entirely useless. Fitting I guess. At least it fills the bottom screen. I might turn it on in the future, I actually think it's pretty. Amanita gave us a Pal Pad too, also entirely useless.

Machete is an illegal catch so I put him where he belongs. Feels good to be back to pure Gen 3.

Here's Michelle's stats. That SpDef looks scarily low.

I like this area a lot, too. Nothing happens here, it's sort of a shame. Maybe there's an item to get if I talk to an NPC here or something but I didn't bother.

I have one Oran Berry left so I just give it to Michelle. Spencer still has his from the Gym battle, he didn't need it for that Shuppet.

Here's the first trainer. Aww, a young couple. It's really cute if you ignore the fact that they're supposed to be Twins in vanilla.

Their Carvanha gets close to killing Michelle, but not too much of a problem. That Oran Berry actually came in handy.

Further down the route, we run into Cheren again. There are so many rival battles in this game, it's almost exhausting. I like the feeling that we're three friends progressing alongside each other and comparing our progress, but it's just a bit much for me.

I led with Cam because I didn't think Cheren would lead Treecko, yikes. Thankfully, I've done this dance before.

Much better. That was a crit Wing Attack.

Spencer could have taken his Nincada, too, but I elect to let Cam get the EXP, since he's a bit behind. I probably could have even sent in Michelle, but better safe than sorry.

Much better than last time. Cheren could take a lesson from Bianca in graceful defeat.

Our post-battle talk is interrupted by Bianca and a little girl playing tag with some Plasma grunts. I feel Bianca's pain of being too slow to tag anyone.

Come on, she was comforting the kid. I love Cheren, but he's a bit of a dick here. Besides, not the point right now. We need to focus on getting this girl's Pokemon back!

Just kidding. Let's get another catch.

Not a Water type! I'm so happy. I love this line too, Whismur is cool and Exploud is awesome.

A bit feisty, but we got her. Even though it's just another early-game Normal type, I'm really happy with this.

That nature is a bit rough for future special coverage, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

Was there something else I had to do? Eh, I'm sure it's nothing. If you don't remember it, then it wasn't very important, that's my philosophy.

The day-care worker tries in vain to stop me from ruining these children's days. Her team is awesome, though, I'd love to have either of those. Not sorry, Michelle.

Oh, it's the Champion. A young prodigy, to be sure.

But I prevail in the end. Does beating the Champion mean the run is over? I wish it were that easy, but we have to beat Ghetsis for that.

All the kids are Champions, it's pretty wholesome. Go get 'em, champ.

Now that I'm done with the kids outside, I turn my attention inwards. These kids choose to hit me with some philosophy instead of battles. Damn, that's some deep stuff for someone who's maybe five years old at most.

Pfft. I'm starting to like these kids. Maybe I'll be nicer to them from now on.

Okay, I've put it off long enough. Let's go get this girl's Pokemon.

Cheren's not wrong. Their philosophies might be the most reasonable out of any team, but the grunts don't do a great job of representing that.

Actually, this isn't entirely unreasonable. The girl's barely out of being a toddler, she's probably not as effective of a trainer as she could be. Still, though, does every Pokemon want to be stronger? Or is her Pokemon happy just being with her? We can argue either way, but we could only get a real answer from the Pokemon itself, so-

Wow, okay. Never mind, screw these guys.

I miss Natasha. :(

Honestly, not wrong. I beat those grunts in the Dreamyard handily and they just kept on beating that Munna. Even if we knock out their team, why would they have to return the stolen Pokemon? It's not like they have honor, they beat up innocent Pokemon and stole from a kid.

Cheren is, as always, a savage to Plasma.

Yeah! Power of friendship! This is super cute and cheesy so of course I love this scene.

Friendship prevails over evil once again.

'

Ouch. Go off, Cheren.

At least these guys apparently operate on enough of an honor code to return the Pokemon after getting the smackdown.

I pop my one Repel here, just to guarantee I don't get an encounter on my way out. I have plans of catching the Drilbur replacement.

Aww. We actually did something this time, and so we're rewarded somewhat adequately. I'll take these over a C-Gear any day, at least.

I do a quick shopping trip here, just in case I somehow get any status effects and I need to cure them in a pinch. I also want enough Repels to get a dust cloud encounter.

We've got a not-Drilbur to catch.

Next time: The exciting conclusion! What will we find in the cloud of dust? Tune in next time to find out! Some other stuff will probably also happen. I don't know, I haven't played very far past here.

L'Belle

:)
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 13, 2019
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Cool
Pokédex Entry
Enjoys reading and is generally friendly, but can be a little lazy when it comes down to it.
Team Plasma: Stealing Paint and Brushes at the speed of light!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)