• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Nuzlocke General Frustrating Things in Nuzlockes

Riboo

Conqueror of the Azalea Gym
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 24, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
Electric
Most frustrating thing is capturing a Pokemon that you KNOW you can't use on your team because they have an evolution based on an item you get in late game or post game. I mean YES, you can, but they're simply not going to be as viable as a Pokemon that can fully evolve.

That and your first encounter being a gender locked evolution, such as running into a male Combee or a Salandit.

SimplyUnknown

Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A silent watcher who speaks only when something needs to be said. Offers free hugs to those who need them.
Most frustrating thing is capturing a Pokemon that you KNOW you can't use on your team because they have an evolution based on an item you get in late game or post game. I mean YES, you can, but they're simply not going to be as viable as a Pokemon that can fully evolve.

That and your first encounter being a gender locked evolution, such as running into a male Combee or a Salandit.
I think that this was worse before Gen V. The Eviolite really made other Pokemon more viable if you weren't able to get their evolutions until really late game. It's still annoying, but doubling Defense and Special Defense is definitely something.

Gender locked evolutions are the worst though. Male Combee really needs something in the future because right now, it's basically a load on your team or permanent box filler.

Dschubba

Has forgotten she's a diurnal creature.
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 13, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Female
Pokémon Type
Bug, Normal
The eviolite is a nice bandaid when it comes to trade evos being ever annoying and evo stones being scarce, for sure. ...Well and some mons are outright better with the Eviolite, so I can't argue with that.

But yeah, male Salandit and Combee are almost cursed enough to warrant a clause of sorts.

Riboo

Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 24, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
Electric
That moment where you forget that Eviolite is a thing XD

TerryTheTeryx

Gen Z Degenerate
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Flying, Steel
Pokédex Entry
A bizarre Pokémon who dislikes many social activities. She appears to have a penchant for peanut butter and foreign languages.
The whole thing about gender-specific evolutions makes me wonder why the male/female versions couldn't just have their own evolution. I mean, it makes sense why male bees can't turn into the queen bee, but we have stuff like Beedrill so

And then we have whatever the heck Salazzle has goin' on, but male Salandit could've been some kind of like,,, Grovyle/Tyranitar thing. I don't know.

In conclusion, gender evos suck.

pinkshellos

Black Lives Matter !!
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 23, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Bug, Flying
Pokédex Entry
A timid Pokémon typically found in groups. The only thing that motivates her more than companionship is food.
Wanting to start a new nuzlocke of about three different games but not having the time and needing to dedicate the little time I have to working on my current run.

khorale

Ruler of the Pillow Fort
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 22, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
She enjoys showing off her artwork to others, and constantly discovers new techniques to experiment with
HMs when you don't have anyone on the team who can use it, or they have good enough moves and you don't want to replace it.

Riboo

Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 24, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
Electric
HMs when you don't have anyone on the team who can use it, or they have good enough moves and you don't want to replace it.
Ooooo yeah, that, or when you do and you really don't want to replace one of their moves with a useless one, like flash.

I'd rather bump around in dark caves over teaching my 'mon that >:V

io_

planning things is easier than writing them xdfbgn
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
preferably they/them please :) please don't be mad at me over it
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This friendly ghost lurks around sites of interest and tries to say hi. They may project a little too much onto their writing.
A Pokemon fangame throwing cheap battles in my face has made me reach for the BS Clause for the first time ever as a nuzlocker. Not content with throwing OP legendaries in my face in the early game, which is scary af on a blind nuzlocke, they sic this on me when I tried to explore an optional area

This Kingdra is far too highly levelled, but that alone is not why I want to call BS Clause - it's b/c this Kingdra is using Thunder, but it cannot even learn Thunder legally. It also had Rain Dance, Surf and Icy Wind. This battle also offers no prize money, and just lets me access an area where I get an Itemfinder. I swear this game is just trying to punish me for exploring D:

Last edited:

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
What game is it?

Reactions: io_

MarkedInStone

Kanto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2019
Over Mt. Silver and down in the Valley Windworks
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This POKéMON is struggling to figure out what interesting stuff he can put into his Pokédex entry.
It's Pokemon Rejuvenation. (Also, it's not *completely* useless beyond that Itemfinder, but to keep spoiler-free, I'm not gonna tell you what the game gives you)

But seriously, I hate when the game throws you BS-level fights. Rejuvenation and Reborn (another, similar, game) toss so many at you it's not even funny.

Reactions: io_

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
I've heard about those two games. While the expanded terrain system of Reborn intrigues me, the sheer difficulty level and the... less than palatable... origins of its story beats have put it on my "not touching" list.

JavierE64

Masks are so 2016!!
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Water
Pokédex Entry
The Master of both Light and Darkness; who loves the Violent and Dramatic, and the Fun and Adorable.
Guys, I love PMD Red Rescue Team, It´s a game that´ll always have a place in my heart; But for the love of Arceus and Lord Helix, this game tries it´s very best to discourage you to Nuzlocke it: Most of the recruitable Pokémon start off very weak, Grinding is a complete chore, and there´s a Huge chance your catch won´t even make it out of their own dungeon.
Unless you use an Escape Orb or something.

Also: The Magnemite and Absol you get in the story are amazing, so what´s the point of even getting new recruits in the first place.

PageEmperor

Currently busy grinding in my nuzruns and studying
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
Just a guy with way to many ongoing Nuzlockes.
Constantly forgetting my Linoone has pickup, and by constantly, I mean all the damn time.

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
I start a Blue nuzlocke, and decided part of this was an excuse to use Kabutops. I've had runs like this before. My mono-Fighting run in Sword was a thinly veiled excuse to use Kommo-o, since it is almost impossible to get otherwise.

I went out of my way to beat Koga early, which was near suicidal until his Weezing blew up against my untrained Gastly, and I'd already lost my Dugtrio to the asshole Hypno in said gym. But you need to get Surf to reach Cinnabar Island, so there you go. Then I get to the Power Plant not too long later obtaining my Kabuto and giving it a couple of levels, and end up losing it not very far after getting it to a crit Self-Destruct from a Voltorb, after using Harden several times of course and still having most of my health.

My external reaction was blank, my internal reaction was "cuuuuuunnnt". Good thing I've got a Starmie ready to go. I'm probably going to use Articuno just to save on grinding later, because gen 1 grinding on Virtual Console is ass. So is the gen 1 Power Plant. I fucking hate it. Most of the reason to do this run was to use Kabutops, but now I can't. I can at least take advantage of gen 1 Starmie instead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)