• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Nuzlocke General Frustrating Things in Nuzlockes

Draknir

Fear the Deer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Dark, Dragon
Honestly, Shield's EXP share makes it very hard to train up new team members without the entire team getting OP, just a minor gripe.
If you're having that problem, might I suggest you swap your main team out for your reserves while grinding new team members? I do that and I don't have to worry about my main team being overlevelled (especially because I play with level limits, which makes the game SO much more challenging IMO) and as a plus I have less grinding later.

So, I'm doing a Sword Wedlocke. My initial pairs?

Grookey-Rookidee
Blipbug-Budew
Vanillite-Snover

Notice the glaring weakness this team has?

I noticed after beating Nessa that Vanillite and Snover were falling behind because, at the time, I had Twackey, Corvisquire, Dottler, and Roserade that were all more useful. So I decided to use those two for a while.

First trainer battle after making that decision? A fucking Carkol.

RIP Vanillite and Snover. To their credit, they did take down most of its HP but I was still just like "Really? What are the chances?"

Candle the Cat

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 11, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pokémon Type
Fire, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This pokemon constantly bursts with energy, but be careful or it may burn out...
If you're having that problem, might I suggest you swap your main team out for your reserves while grinding new team members? I do that and I don't have to worry about my main team being overlevelled (especially because I play with level limits, which makes the game SO much more challenging IMO) and as a plus I have less grinding later.
I would do that but one of my rules is that a certain pokemon must be on the team at all times so that specific one will get way ahead of the party if I do that so rip me.

PageEmperor

Currently busy grinding in my nuzruns and studying
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
Just a guy with way to many ongoing Nuzlockes.
My previous Black 2 randomiser was... urgh. Only 1 teammate with a usable moveset, all my TMs were special attacks and Safeguard while my ENTIRE team were physical attackers. I also then lost my Lumineon to a moveset confused Armaldo and while grinding that died to a wild Gliscor. I also did catch a wild Gliscor though (it was a diffrent one from the one that killed my fossil) but of course the fact that it can't cater to all my Special TMs didn't help.

Thankfully, my save file somehow was accidentally deleted and the current Black 2 randomiser is heaps better.

pinkshellos

Black Lives Matter !!
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 23, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Bug, Flying
Pokédex Entry
A timid Pokémon typically found in groups. The only thing that motivates her more than companionship is food.
While fighting the Firered E4 and champion, during all four battles, only three moves crit against me.
The first was an ice punch from Lorelei's Jynx that barely did anything.
The others were hyper beams from Lance’s Dragonite that killed two of my most reliable team members.

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
I just lost half of my team including my starter, to Hop in the semi-finals. Plus my Adamant Sirfetch'd to a crit. All 3 deaths were to his Inteleon. As if I didn't hate this thing before.

mewstein

Conqueror of the Ecruteak Gym
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Raid battle NPCs who haven’t mastered the concept of Pokemon Abilities can be frustrating.

Yes yes I agree, your Magikarp is a very clever and very skilled Magikarp to know Hydro Pump but against a dynamaxed Quagsire it’s like trying to put out a blaze using GASOLINE....’

Arie Kazami

Your everyday, ordinary guy
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
He/They
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Just an Ordinary Trainer that doing his Nuzlocke
Anytime you trying to fled from any faster wild Pokemon, especially if that was a dupe(if you enabling dupe clause). moreso if they're carrying freaking PURSUIT. Switched out, death is followed soon

fractale

The Fan Favorute
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Electric, Flying
Pokédex Entry
this master of winged beasts knows almost everything about flying type pokemons that is known by the man. His rage is dangerous to others around him
you know what annoys me? the games holding the players hand. ok, showing a direction is good. a gym leader/ rival saying that particular route going to a certain city which can be my next objective. BUTT; you cant do a full free roam in newer games before finishing the game. and even before that, the game literally shows you the direction you were supposed to go. till GEN4, it isnt that noticable but in GEN 5, you cant visit half of the game till end of the Pokemon leuge. in GEN6, the game directs you to "checkpoints" which you need to pass them in order. and Alola of GEN 7 literally has Checkpoint Pointer under the name of Rotom-dex. its funny, but i want to do MY thing, not yours. maybe i wanted to catch that certain pokemon, but i cant because its behind a checkpoint barrier. just like i wanted to visit Tapu Bulu's shrine in Ultra sun, but i didnt visit it before ULTRA NECROZMA, because it was behind a checkpoint barrier, and the po town checkpoint were more important than my interest over a desert.

NekoSuave

TFW you lose someone you love to a crit.
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ice
Those moments where you realize you're utterly screwed because of your encounters.

In my LeafGreen Nuzlocke, I got a Charmander for my starter. I know for a fact that Charmander with Metal Claw cannot beat Brock. If it was a Charmeleon, it would squeak by, but I'm working with a level limit, so I'm not gonna be able to evolve it before the gym fight. If I got a Mankey or maybe a Caterpie/Metapod (4x weakness notwithstanding), I'd probably be fine! But instead, I got Rattata, Spearow, Pidgey, and Weedle for my encounters. There is no way I'm escaping Brock's gym unscathed. In fact, I'm getting the feeling that I'll flat-out wipe to him.

MarkedInStone

Kanto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2019
Over Mt. Silver and down in the Valley Windworks
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This POKéMON is struggling to figure out what interesting stuff he can put into his Pokédex entry.
So... my first encounter on Route 35 in Crystal? Yanma. 1% Yanma. Guess what got instantly critted by Cleffa's Dizzy Punch? Also Yanma. I mean it's useless in Gen II but there's a kind of novelty to it.

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
I'm slowly running out of areas to make catches and I still don't feel like I have any good options against the complete and utter bullshit that is Totem Mimikyu. I have about 5 more catches between now and then, but...well, as much as I love Dragons, they won't be any use against it, so of course I keep getting them.
I still haven't lost anyone, but I have a bad feeling that hellspawn is gonna rip some serious holes in my team if I don't get lucky soon :ohdear:

Arondon

Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 15, 2020
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
All but most to least prevalent types:Male,Gender-neutral,Female
Pokémon Type
Fighting, Psychic
Forgetting movesets and losing a Pokemon. Example-I forgot Fairy Wind existed and thus a Flabebe killed ProJared the Combee with a crit Fairy Wind.

Cloverhandreader

New Nuzlocker
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Steel
When you're playing through Let's Go and keep running into Gamers who are 5 levels higher than my starter, they keep using OHKO moves and the third gamer's Rhyhorn hit a Horn Drill on my Eevee, still not over it

Dschubba

Has forgotten she's a diurnal creature.
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 13, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Female
Pokémon Type
Bug, Normal
Sometimes, it can get annoying how difficulty curves in Gen7 aren't as much a curve as an inconsistent difficulty ping-pong. On the ond hand, most random trainers and even not so random trainers besides a few notable exceptions are too easy. And then...then there's the hot bullshit that are the USUM totems. I am not exegerating when I say I had to rock myself back to sanity after Totem Marowak's and Salazzle's Wild Ride.

I may have jinxed myself by whining about wanting a challenge, granted.

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
Nothing like starting a nuzlocke in a post gen 5 game and encountering a fucking Caterpie... give me a break.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
And that is why multi-run dupes clause is a thing for some people.

Sirwallaby

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
I walked into Chuck in soul silver with an adequately leveled team some levels higher than him, of feraligatr/Dragonair/shiny Pidgeotto/butterfree/quagsire/weepingbell (I also had a dunsparce and tauros on my team I had placed in the box) and walked out with every single pokemon dead.

He got
1 flinch
3 paralysis
1 paralysis making my pokemon unable to move (that I recorded. May have been more.)
2 hypnosis
1 crit

It's connected to two other runs, both of which I failed the initial runs and had to redo, like I will with this one (as I did not get as far as I needed to in it. After that point if I fail again that's it. No redoes.)

My first try at gold died to Whitney, and I lost the save for crystal.
It was a trio that was destined to never succeed. I can only hope the redoes aren't cursed as well.

Draknir

Fear the Deer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Dark, Dragon
Dear Shield,

An Ultra Ball realistically should not fail anywhere close to what's happening while catching a Pokemon with a catch rate of 190. Two separate ones and I've gone through close to 30 Ultra Balls at least.

PurpleEyedGuma

21st Century Schizoid Mon
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 9, 2019
Pronouns
They / Them
Dear Shield,

An Ultra Ball realistically should not fail anywhere close to what's happening while catching a Pokemon with a catch rate of 190. Two separate ones and I've gone through close to 30 Ultra Balls at least.
Sword & Shield make it harder to catch Pokemon if they're higher leveled than your current Pokemon. It's the worst.

Draknir

Fear the Deer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Dark, Dragon
Sword & Shield make it harder to catch Pokemon if they're higher leveled than your current Pokemon. It's the worst.
See, I'd heard that but I chalked it up to rumor. Plus by the time I went around catching everything for the Dex, I was higher leveled. I'll definitely need to remember that in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)