• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Nuzlocke General Frustrating Things in Nuzlockes

LuluRina

Eevee Lover
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 26, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Water, Normal
Yea, when I first started out doing randomized nuzlockes, a freaken Jirachi would always appear on a trainer before I had any types to deal with it, and while I had types that were neutral against it, it would ALWAYS heal, and ALWAYS tank, and ALWAYS LOSE ME THE LOCKE!

...and thats the story of how Jirachi became my least favourite Pokemon

NekoSuave

TFW you lose someone you love to a crit.
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ice
When you're so close to the Pokémon League, only for someone to show up and wipe your entire team. For example...

"Hey, I'm nearly at the end of Victory Road! ...Oh hi, Wally. Wanna fight?"

Long story short, his Gardevoir used Double Team twice, and I couldn't hit him or stop him from massacring my team. Because OF COURSE he has Calm Mind as well, like Psychic on a Pokémon with base 125 Special Attack wasn't bad enough. This happened about a half hour ago, and I'm still upset.

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
Running dupesless Alpha Sapphire and getting three Wurmple in a row. Then losing your Beautifly and sacrificing one of the other Wurmple to a Rollout Marill because my trainer ID forced me to pick Torchic which has shit matchups until it evolves. BAH.

I still have a third Wurmple, Torchic, Wingull, and Whismur plus a Zig Cut slave. I might be able to win, but only by evolving Torchic which is kind of cheap.

PageEmperor

Currently busy grinding in my nuzruns and studying
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
Just a guy with way to many ongoing Nuzlockes.
I really really need to update my run as well as post another, but there has just been too much going on in real life that I just can’t.

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
I feel like I'm not making any progress in my wonderlocke because this is the run where I get a whole bunch of stuff I want to use, so I have to keep stopping to grind...

Also, I have an idea for a new run I really want to do, but I'm not entirely sure how to make it work...plus I have to get back to my main run, and how am I going to keep up with both...

PageEmperor

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
Just... why can’t the Sobble line learn Waterfall? Or at least why can’t the line up to the middle form? That is just.. ugh. If it turns out it still can’t learn it when it’s fully evolved I will lose my bits. Also, it would be appreciated if more mons could learn my TMs. I don’t expect everyone to be like Mew in this but come on, PLEASE just learn something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Foxtrot

Derp
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 17, 2019
All these are frustrating but here is an even more frustration. Doing a Randomized Nuzlocke of Pokemon Blue and first Pokemon in Viridian Forest is a Level 5 Magikarp. Of course since it wasn't encountered before you have to catch it.

Then the game decides to rub salt in the wound by sending out a couple Squirtle and a few Abra after this with no more Magikarp.

SimplyUnknown

Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A silent watcher who speaks only when something needs to be said. Offers free hugs to those who need them.
All these are frustrating but here is an even more frustration. Doing a Randomized Nuzlocke of Pokemon Blue and first Pokemon in Viridian Forest is a Level 5 Magikarp. Of course since it wasn't encountered before you have to catch it.

Then the game decides to rub salt in the wound by sending out a couple Squirtle and a few Abra after this with no more Magikarp.
I think you got the 5% Pikachu encounter. So...is that good luck?

PurpleEyedGuma

21st Century Schizoid Mon
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 9, 2019
Pronouns
They / Them
Fuck the Wild Area. Fuck it. After catching a Bounsweet when I already had Grookey, my first encounter in West Lake Axewell was a Lv. 11 Krabby higher leveled than my team. It started off by killing my Rookidee with a crit Metal Claw, then killed my Grookey after escaping from at least 8 Poke Balls (even when IN THE RED). I gave up on it and caught yet another Grass-type in East Lake. (EDIT: It was an Oddish and I caught it in the green.)

This also happened with a Lv. 13 Electrike in my first attempt, which actually ended the entire run. Could someone please explain why some Pokemon are caught easily and others just won't stay in? It saddens and pisses me off.

Last edited:

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
The Wild Area is why, when and if I nuzlocke the game (I gave up on trying to nuzlocke it blind after my copy of Shield got delayed in the mail), I will have a BS clause that applies to the ridiculousness that is the Wild Area.

SnackyTheSylph

He's a jolly fellow
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ground
Pokédex Entry
I SWALLOW SLUDGE TO TRANSFORM MYSELF
I probably would've done something like that if I didn't catch a Nickit with Run Away. Poke Dolls do eventually become available to mitigate this, but not until after the second gym. You kind of have to just roll the dice on hopefully catching a high-leveled Pokemon before it kills something so that you can use it to catch other stuff.

EDIT: OH, I also forgot the most frustrating thing I've ever seen in an official game: I went to a Battle Cafe shortly after reaching Hammerlocke, and the guy inside did a DOUBLE BATTLE with LEVEL 37 Alcremie and Slurpuff! For reference, that's 6-10 levels above what my team was, and reportedly a level above the next gym leader, who's in the next town over!

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
I had an Adamant Tyrunt in X, until a Belly Drummed Hariyama in Korrina's Gym dragged it out. Someone was going to die, but I would have hoped he'd make the KO... sadly not. For some reason I can't keep the t-rex alive.

MordBreygon

Conqueror of the Pewter Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 24, 2019
I've done two Nuzlockes before, and both of them had a death yeah that's cool but it's those ones that come right after. In theory you should be more on guard but lol nope my platinum lock had 12 deaths, all in batches of 3 (also that's when i learned about the bide hitting ghost part) the last location of deaths was victory road which was annoying because i lost a rhyperior, and hippowdon and replaced them with a gyrados.
Finding these again makes me want to do another run, if i can find a game that's not in an important place

Draknir

Fear the Deer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Dark, Dragon
Nothing like losing 4 Pokemon to a single opponent just before the end of the game only to realize that one of your best replacement options is the same species as that opponent.

EDIT: Aaaand it died in its first real battle. This Shield Nuzlocke has certainly taken a turn for the bloody as of late.

Last edited:

PageEmperor

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
My Let’s go Eevee nuzrun in the Ground gym. Had my Wigglytuff against a Nidoking, used Dig because I thought it would destroy it as our other attacks could already badly damage the Nidorinos from earlier in the gym. Said Nidoking packed Earthquake, it could outspeed, and Wigglytuff was already injured and never stood a chance.

I then summoned my Rapidash because I though Drill run would OHKO as long as it hit. It hit, but it didn’t kill. Rapidash dies to Earthquake. Why didn’t I just summon Eevee at first and just get it over with using the Psychic exclusive move?

Well, at least that massacre made it easier to decide who’s coming to the league because previously I had been running a rotation team of 8...

PageEmperor

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
Yip dee fucking doo. So curiosity got the better of me and I looked it up, turns out the fucking Impidimp line are male exclusive and in my nuzrun, I blindly assumed it to be female without looking at it’s gender. Meh, doesn’t matter, gender ratios in recent gens have been all sorts of ridiculous so I’m just gonna ignore this.

PageEmperor

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
My Shield nuzrun as a whole is a whine. Moreso as soon as my bike could surf. First of I lost 3 team members to a Grapploct, because I had NO DAMN CLUE it had Limber as an ability, NO IDEA that it learnt a trapping move, and it critted 3 or 4 times in one battle. And then later in the game I lose my most defensive teammate to Sheer cold. Yippee. Actually, this game seems to not want me to keep a defensive mon alive.

That, and I have almost run out of EXP candies so if somebody dies between here and the champion I will have to just bring 5 members and a sacking fodder to face against him.

Candle the Cat

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 11, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pokémon Type
Fire, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This pokemon constantly bursts with energy, but be careful or it may burn out...
Honestly, Shield's EXP share makes it very hard to train up new team members without the entire team getting OP, just a minor gripe.

PageEmperor

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
You can’t use Choice scarf while dynamxing. There goes half of my strategy.

Arie Kazami

Your everyday, ordinary guy
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
He/They
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Just an Ordinary Trainer that doing his Nuzlocke
I really didn't like SOS Battle in the wild whenever during Nuzlocke, especially Salandits...

Either get Dragon rage'd during earlier game...or during in that cave area of Lush jungle where it has Toxic+Venoshock combos that could easily maim your mons that isn't Poison or Steel-type

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)