• New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Happy new forum! We decided this was a golden opportunity for us to feature a fresh new imported run!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes recieving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our new Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • The second episode of Nuzlocke City Radio is here! Tune in for our discussion on the history and analysis of gijinkas, catch up on the biggest forum news, and we finally settle the score between Team Aqua and Team Magma in The Debatelockers!

Nuzlocke General Frustrating Things in Nuzlockes

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 1, 2019
Since I play with rules that forbid using potions in battle, there’s almost nothing worse than having your Pokémon survive a hit, but knowing that there is no way to save them: they’re outsped, nothing else can eat a hit, enemy has pursuit, you name it. When you can’t just drop a full restore, every Crit, flinch and missed turn can spell death

Reactions: io_

Killjoy

cotton eyed joe always win
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them (preferable)
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
the joy killer, most passive-aggressive creacher, unable to type properly but seems to not care enough
I have no idea where to put it. In the "funny things that happened", or "frustrating things that happened", or maybe "embarrassing things that happened"? Well, I guess "almost losing a Pokemon to Colress at PWT" counts as all three, but don't take my word on that :thonk:

The worst thing? I think Drayano didn't changed the PWT teams at all, so it was pretty much vanilla. So keeping in mind that I was post-Clay (around level.. 46 I guess, since his ace was 42.), it is truly embarrassing hbgbgfg
But for real tho. My Houndoom was outspeeded by his god-damned Magneton and paralyzed by Thunder Wave, then confused by Supersonic. And you know how you can use the items in PWT? Yeah. Then he used Thunder Shock, which.. did somewhat big damage, yes, oh lord. I'm pretty sure the struggle of a battle was way longer than I have it in my notes, but ok.
At the end I did beat him, but fuck this. We all know how painful;y hard Colress is in the BB2VW2 but holy fuck, this is ridiculous.

Dumboldore

A mysterious creature not listed in the Pokédex.
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 3, 2019
Speaking of DPPt, the dude with the Goldeen with Horn Drill on Route 214, and it's bullshit.
Fuck THAT.

I once lost my Prinplup in the Seven Stars Restaurant because PI Kendrick liked throwing out a level 31 Rhyhorn (which was massively overleveled I should mention, by far the highest leveled mon in the restaurant), and I didn't have any Water- or Grass-type mons out so I thought "yeah why not switch in Prinplup, Rhyhorn can't do much to it anyway".

HORN DRILL.

And that's the story of how my starter was the first one to fall in that nuzlocke.

OHKO moves need to go.

Azelf

BANJO GANG RISE UP
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Psychic, ???
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is too lazy too make any creative shit, and would sitting down like a sack of potatoes and play video games.
Wobbuffet.

ffffffffFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK WOBBUFFET.

I swear to God, if you encounter one of these hellspawns in your run, 90% of the time, one of your Pokemon is gonna die. Not only does this fucking thing trap you with Shadow Tag, not only does it eat up damage like a sponge, but chances are it can use Counter or Mirror Coat, which does double the damage you did to it. So if you attack it and it counterattacks, you can kiss your Pokemon goodbye.

Never in my life do I hate a Pokemon in a Nuzlocke as much as fucking Wobbuffet.

Rhema

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
She tries her best, but doesn't succeed. She gets what she wants but not what she needs.
When you accidentally trigger the rival battle before you’re ready....

Also, practically shitting yourself when you’re facing off against a Pokémon that knows Self Destruct.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Also a major Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
This happened to me in Let's Go Eevee on Route 22 early on in the game. All I wanted was the encounter, I hadn't planned on actually triggering the rival battle.

Thankfully it was just a low-level early-game challenge and nothing terrible happened.

Alan900900900

Lurker extraordinaire
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is a master of having too many projects at the same time.
This happened to me way too many times on my UCL playthrough of Pokemon Gold. Miraculously, I somehow only ever lost one Pokemon to Silver in one of these unexpected encounters. Curse my unfamiliarity with that game.
Also, practically shitting yourself when you’re facing off against a Pokémon that knows Self Destruct.
I still hate you, Rocket Admin Petrel.

Roseguardin

Not a Tyrell Knight
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 4, 2019
Nature
Naughty
Pokémon Type
Steel
Pokédex Entry
A stubborn spirit lets it succeed against the odds, but makes it a true challenge to train
It's so irritating that you can't use the Vs. Seeker in caves. You can never rematch the Iron Island trainers if you want to grind (which is a shame because they're brilliant grinding options for Pokemon in their early 40s) nor can you rematch the Victory Road trainers, which sucks fucking dick considering a lot of them have Pokemon with insane EXP yields (like the one Ace Trainer with the Blissey).

This is also more Pokemon specific but I wish they did more with Iron Island than they did. The Steel leader trains here, Riley trains here, so many people train here, it's a former iron mining quarry but your only Steel-type is Steelix (not bad admittedly)? You couldn't even drop a Bronzor or Magneton in?

PageEmperor

The supposed emperor of pages
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
Just a guy with way to many ongoing Nuzlockes.
The most frustrating thing in my Diamond randomiser is ironically the fact it does not want me to have a frustrating time. I got 2 Arceus as first encounters (The first one died to a crit near the end of route 202, the second one I decided to skip because dupes clause), I got a Slaking that didn't have Truant (He unfortunately died to a Tangrowth with Explosion, but I would have boxed him if that didn't happen), I have also been getting ridiculously strong guys whom I have been deliberately boxing in favour of weaker stuff. In fact, I'm actually trying to do badly here.

dinner

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 4, 2019
Yellow. I was on the home stretch, not a single death yet, almost finalized my fully evolved team's movesets, just leveling up a little bit for Giovanni's gym and the rival battle with the speed button because I'm like 10 levels under what's coming and don't particulary fancy getting Fissured. Storm outside, barely paying attention to it, it got quieter after a while. Power goes out for a blink of an eye, then comes back, a particularly loud Thunder cracks (after a longer absence) as PC reboots, I'm like "oh crap", also because I probably hadn't saved in a while... buuut the save is gone entirely. Must have been karma for boxing my Pikachu...

Last edited:
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 1, 2019
So, it turns out that Ninetales can't learn TM 53, the TM for Energy Ball in gen IV... but it can learn Energy Ball

...through breeding

WHAT

I thought they fixed that issue with Golduck IN Gen IV where it couldn't learn Psychic thru TM, why did they add another one?

And I spent ages grinding the Battle Factory, too... oh well. I can't really run sunnybeam either, since I have a Feraligatr, but at least She still has a nice sweep/annoyer split set going. My other mons SHOULD be able to handle misty anyway

Sterling-Starlight

Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2019
Nature
Docile
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Addicted to carbonated beverages and chocolate. Can, and will, talk forever about her interests if she finds someone who will listen
Not exactly something to do with the games. But if you write your logs online -like I do- sometimes whatever site you’re using will just reset and POOF! All those notes gone. It’s especially bad if it’s a boss battle that you have to go through a cutscene for.

io_

typically has writer's block
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/she please :)
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This friendly ghost lurks around old haunts and sites of interest, and likes to say hi. (Profile pic came from https://picrew.me/image_maker/114808)
My Starter has an Attack IV of 1 and can't hit things to save his life

At Level 9 he couldn't OHKO a Level 5 Panpour with STAB SE Leafage

it's almost like i'm nuzlocking a really hard fangame and might need a Starter who can kill something quick

the rowlet line *can* use special attacking moves it just takes forever for them to learn any

i love my little orb birb but jesus christ

PageEmperor

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
I know this is the most cliche whine ever but... sleep and confusion.

And grinding. Just looking at my underleveled squad in my Diamond randomiser makes me less and less interested to play it, and making me consider doing another run to do in the meantime. Hence, the reason why I have so many ongoing runs and still choose to start new runs despite of that. I feel I have to do too much grinding, I lose interest, and I start a new run and hopefully I will eventually gain interest to return to that run.

And if external threats count, I am too obsessed with and addicted to pokemon masters. I recall having spent 8-9 hours on it, when instead I should be updating my documented runs or getting over my in-game runs.

sunburstblue

blue stars burn brighter
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Water
Pokédex Entry
Well, her Pokédex No. is #274, which is Nuzleaf. Could anything be more hilariously fitting for this forum?
Whenever a Pokemon dies right after you start training it and/or it dies right after your finishing training it 20+ levels to catch up to the rest of your team.

Yuriakashu

Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/ They
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
It consumes graphite and word processors. If it is standing still, something is wrong.
When you've not played a certain run in a while, pick it up, and someone instantly dies because you need to warm back up or whatever.
Thoroughly underestimating just how cautious you have to be when nuzlocking after being out of it for so long.

Also, when you go into the Bug Catching contest with less Pokemon than when you entered. (RIP Butterfree, fuckin' Pinsir)
YES to both of these. I won't dive too much into details because it involves a death later on in my SoulSilver giftlocke, but uh. I was level-grinding in Dark Cave near Blackthrone City, and ...

Never in my life do I hate a Pokemon in a Nuzlocke as much as fucking Wobbuffet.
Yeah. Yeah, let's leave it at that. Fuck Wobbuffet.

PageEmperor

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
My Black randomiser team is 90% incompetent. I have only 2 decent team members, although one of them includes a legendary who has defenses up the wazoo. As for everyone else,

- skmeone who hits on the lower attacking stat.

- someone who should not evolve until 40 because if so then he will evolve into something with lower stats because I randomised evos.

- someone who one of his types cannot hit physically at all and so he has extra weaknesses for nothing.

And I also have as many dead mons as mons in my current team. And I still question myself why I start new runs despite having ongoing runs, but the answers because of runs like this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)