• Ash has been all over the news lately and this site is no exception! Check out Ashes to Ashes, the latest featured run!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes recieving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our new Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • Happy tapaversary, Guest! It's been about a year since the Tapatalk Takeover; if you'd like to make a donation to us to celebrate the fact that we tapped out of that site, please click here.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about the new Critique Level Tags!
  • The second episode of Nuzlocke City Radio is here! Tune in for our discussion on the history and analysis of gijinkas, catch up on the biggest forum news, and we finally settle the score between Team Aqua and Team Magma in The Debatelockers!

Nuzlocke General Frustrating Things in Nuzlockes

Arbitrary

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
Getting something really rare and losing it anyway. I always try to get interesting mons to the top so when they die it sucks.

Also getting a rare encounter on a route that's a mon that's really common elsewhere. Like in Soul Silver recently, I got Pidgey on Route 35. 5% encounter Pidgey when I could have got almost anything else. Not that it mattered, I had pretty good luck with encounters during the rest of the run and barely had any deaths anyway.

TrueZero2

Ninja! Comic! Best Match!
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's a nice long-standing companion you have there, it'd be a shame if something could (*narrows eyes*) Counter it

lost 2 of my best companions in Insurgence to Destiny Bond and Counter and it stings something fierce
Something similar happened to me. My Snorlax in an old Fire Red run. It could tank Self Destructs with no trouble. Then came a Machop that was 3 levels lower than it. I use Body Slam, barely miss out on an OHKO and paralyse it. It throws out Revenge. Guts, Super Effective, STAB, Critical Hit, and it had taken damage that turn. My Snorlax was reduced to a smear on the floor.

Force Gaia

Eternally creating behind the scenes
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ground
Pokédex Entry
Prefers dark places, will dig deep underground if unable to find any above ground.
Something similar happened to me. My Snorlax in an old Fire Red run. It could tank Self Destructs with no trouble. Then came a Machop that was 3 levels lower than it. I use Body Slam, barely miss out on an OHKO and paralyse it. It throws out Revenge. Guts, Super Effective, STAB, Critical Hit, and it had taken damage that turn. My Snorlax was reduced to a smear on the floor.
I think i remember you telling me about this one.

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
A Pokémon shrouded in hearsay and urban legend, spoken of only in whispered tales and hushed gossip.
When you've not played a certain run in a while, pick it up, and someone instantly dies because you need to warm back up or whatever.

Little Winky

Master Procrastinator
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
She keeps telling herself that one day she'll document one of her 10,000 runs. Maybe once she finishes half of them, she'll actually do that.
Having the opportunity to put a rare pokemon on your team when a spot opens up... only to find out it doesn't get the STAB you need for type coverage until waaaaaay too late. (Looking at you, X/Y Mawile.)

Also similar: catching a rare mon only to find it has the worst nature/ability possible.

Minty Electronica

heeeeeeeyyyyyy, adora~ <3
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Water, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It's an azumarill. You caught an azumarril.
Confusion. Both the infliction and the effects.

Oh, did you want to confuse that enemy with Confuse Ray? Well, fuck you. It snaps out of it after one turn. Oh, is your opponent trying to confuse you with Supersonic, a move with a 55% chance to hit you in the first place? Double fuck you. Not only do you get confused, but your pokémon are confused for the maximum number of turns it takes for confusion to wear off, and they hit themselves in every single turn. Oh, do you think that Water Pulse, a move with only a 20% chance to confuse an opponent, will never confuse your pokémon? Hope you brought persim berries, because HERE COMES CONFUSION TOWN.

Nothing sucks more than having a pokémon die to confusion. Not because it's preventable and easy to cure. Only because it shouldn't happen in the first place, but the AI is a cheating pile of refuse.

ashdrawsarts

Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
They/them
Pokémon Type
Ghost, ???
Losing a pokemon that was pretty high leveled and having to replace them with a boxed pokemon about a dozen levels lower so that there isn't a vacancy

And because having big level gaps on my teams really bothers me I have to go and grind that new mon to be on par with the other team mates immediately or I'll just worry about it endlessly. Then after spending all that time to do so they get the chance to shine in like, 3 battles, before getting crit ko'd and starting the process all over again

TrueZero2

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
I think i remember you telling me about this one.
Yep. I did. Also happened the day after I lost my Fearow, so I had to raise two replacements. It did warm me up to Rhydon though.

fractale

Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Electric, Flying
Pokédex Entry
this master of winged beasts knows almost everything about flying type pokemons that is known by the man. His rage is dangerous to others around him
you know what is annoying? trying to beat falkner with just a totodile because you are trying to do a monolocke run. oh; did i mention all of the LV 3 bellsporuts who winewhips my poor totodile? that was a pure nightmare😖😖😖

Neotornado

Hacker
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
Just regular nouns, not a fan of premums.
Pokémon Type
Electric, Grass
Pokédex Entry
Broke his own romhack with an egg. Still not sure how.
"Oh hey I have a good Gourgeist and ran into a shiny Foongus that I'll train in defense, lysandre's mega Gyarados won't know what hit it!"
mega gyarados: "oh that's cute." *crit 2HKO's them both*
Crits normally aren't that threatning post-gen V but when the game spams them...

Huntress Wizard

zigzagoon is S-tier and you can't change my mind
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Water, Dark
Pokédex Entry
randomizers are the only way this pokemon can feel alive again
this is very general, but i always seem to catch a lot of pokemon of types i already have coverage for, and not a lot of pokemon of types that i desperately need, especially in the early game. really puts a damper on my mood running into a third pure electric-type when i already have a Jolteon and a Luxio and could've used a Drifloon (or even a Magnemite) >.>

A-K-TheLittleFairy

Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Tired or inspired. Loves Cappuccino.
Confusion. Both the infliction and the effects.

Oh, did you want to confuse that enemy with Confuse Ray? Well, fuck you. It snaps out of it after one turn. Oh, is your opponent trying to confuse you with Supersonic, a move with a 55% chance to hit you in the first place? Double fuck you. Not only do you get confused, but your pokémon are confused for the maximum number of turns it takes for confusion to wear off, and they hit themselves in every single turn. Oh, do you think that Water Pulse, a move with only a 20% chance to confuse an opponent, will never confuse your pokémon? Hope you brought persim berries, because HERE COMES CONFUSION TOWN.

Nothing sucks more than having a pokémon die to confusion. Not because it's preventable and easy to cure. Only because it shouldn't happen in the first place, but the AI is a cheating pile of refuse.
Even when not playing with Nuzlocke rules, getting spammed by Zubat and their 55% supersonic and always getting confused plus every turn hitting themselves in confusion is extremely annoying when trying to grind!

TrueZero2

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
Having the opportunity to put a rare pokemon on your team when a spot opens up... only to find out it doesn't get the STAB you need for type coverage until waaaaaay too late. (Looking at you, X/Y Mawile.)

Also similar: catching a rare mon only to find it has the worst nature/ability possible.
I've got a similar one to that from a prior run of X. I caught a Pancham relatively early on. I wasn't able to catch a dark type until after finishing the Team Flare plot. By that point I'd retired Pancham from active battling, but I did bring him back just to get him evolved, and that Dark Type, Drapion, was one of my League Team.

Force Gaia

Eternally creating behind the scenes
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ground
Pokédex Entry
Prefers dark places, will dig deep underground if unable to find any above ground.
Here's one I'm surprised nobody has mentioned.
Early in any game when most wild mons have growl/harden/defence curl or other way of mitagating your damage. You're chipping away what must be 1hp a hit.
Then one of the following happens:

Your team member gets a crit, thus ignoring the damage mitigation, and kills the wild mon.
Or
Your team member is running out of PP, so you swap to a different mon, whose only attack kills the wild mon through weakness or the damage mitigation not working any more.

Both happened in a Heartgold run to me, on a geodude and mareep before falkner. And 3/6 of my remaining party have a flying weakness. I really could have used those two.

Alan900900900

Lurker extraordinaire
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is a master of having too many projects at the same time.
Pokemon with Selfdestruct or Explosion, especially when you have no type that resists them. Especially when a trainer sends out 5 of those in a row. Yes I'm talking to you Rocket Executive Petrel, you suck.

JavierE64

There´s even something under the mask?
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Water
Pokémon with Pursuit, and even more when you´re trying to train your weaker members.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Also a major Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
Oh yes. Pursuit. I was fortunate enough to get a Nincada in my X playthrough (which was abandoned for various reasons), and I figured that I'd safeguard myself from wild Wobbuffet in Reflection Cave by putting Shedinja in front. No Shadow Tag, no Counter, no Mirror Coat, no problem.

Some random trainer halfway through had Doduo. With Pursuit. Which Wonder Guard doesn't protect against.

I panicked, threw on a Repel, then hoofed it back to Geosenge Town to buy a bunch of Repels to get through that cave with minimum casualties.

RIP Shedinja.

Neotornado

Hacker
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
Just regular nouns, not a fan of premums.
Pokémon Type
Electric, Grass
Pokédex Entry
Broke his own romhack with an egg. Still not sure how.
anything that blocks switching is the worst, be it soft-trapping (pursuit, spikes/stealth rock) or hard trapping (mean look, wrap clones even outside of gen I)
I've had way too many casualties happen because I wanted to swap out of something but couldn't because my pokemon was trapped. I play without using healing items in-battle so in those cases the mon's already dead even before you hit the attack button, barring moves missing or amie kicking in (which wouldn't help against the wrap clones unless they wore off that turn.)

Ganon the Returning King

Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 15, 2019
Thoroughly underestimating just how cautious you have to be when nuzlocking after being out of it for so long.

Also, when you go into the Bug Catching contest with less Pokemon than when you entered. (RIP Butterfree, fuckin' Pinsir)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)