• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Nuzlocke General Frustrating Things in Nuzlockes

TrueZero2

Ninja! Comic! Best Match!
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
Have you had any moments in Nuzlockes that simply frustrated you?

For me, one such moment was a constant throughout a Sun Nuzlocke. My team was Incineroar, Toucannon, Leafeon, Gyarados and Alolan Golem, with the sixth spot eventually going to a Metang. Then Metang died. I brought my Alolan Persian back into the team for a short time. It died. Kadabra? Died. For the entirety of Ula'ula and most of Poni, I was basically stuck with a 5 man team because the sixth member slot had become a death sentence. I eventually decided to say 'Screw this' and put Solgaleo into the spot, and it survived the run.

Then I lost Leafeon, Gyarados and Golem during the battles against Kahili and Kukui. Arceus-Dammit.

Neotornado

Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
I need to buy a pro account? (He/Him)
Pokémon Type
Electric, Grass
Pokédex Entry
Broke his own romhack with an egg. Still not sure how.
not gonna lie I'll still take moments like that compared to what I call the "revolving door" nuzlocke, where the game seems to target my oldest pokemon rather than the recent ones. This makes it almost impossible to really get attached to anybody on my team to the point where it becomes, well, a revolving door of death.
Also for a singular moment, losing one of my pokemon to the very last opponent in a run to a crit/coverage move/miss in what was otherwise a free matchup. I've had that happen in two seperate runs and it was the worst both times. (which thankfully didn't kill the run in either situation, but one of them was a super rare pokemon and the other was a shiny)

ajpl

Igi
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dark
Pokédex Entry
It stalks prey from the shadows, trotting along behind trainers on their journey.
It's definitely been losing 'mons that I wanted on my main team because I'd never used them before, and having to fall back on 'mons I feel I've had enough of, thanks. No Empoleon/Technician Scizor/Politoed for me.

Something specific to one of my Nuzlocke characters (and wanting to draw art/comics of them) was having the team go from species, looks, and naming schemes that really fit the main character's personality and aesthetic, to ones that do not suit them at all. Brick by brick, my gentle and Nature-themed Rain Team became a tough and ace-trainery Sun Team. :facepalm:

mewstein

Conqueror of the Ecruteak Gym
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Probably due to my unfamiliarity with Gen VII and Alola region in general I often find myself blundering around seemingly endless (but beautifully rendered) routes miles from any Pokemon Centre while my supply of repels, potions and patience gradually dwindles. Also playing in a poorly-lit room often means I only notice those shadows cast by marauding Flying-type Pokemon when it's too late...

ajpl

Igi
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dark
Pokédex Entry
It stalks prey from the shadows, trotting along behind trainers on their journey.
Ha! That reminds me of the trouble I've been having in Whirl Islands and Union Cave (mostly Union Cave). I can make my way through R/S/E caves just fine, but the Johto ones were rough after years of not playing. Union Cave was about a half hour of wasted time before I stopped being stubborn and opened up a map.

mewstein

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
The sheer volume of water in the original Hoenn games is pretty daunting - especially if you’re a completionist who goes after EVERY trainer and EVERY item. I guess dodging the areas of grass in Alola at least cuts out some of the random battles... hey, did that conveniently placed pile of berries move?

Arie Kazami

Your everyday, ordinary guy
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
He/They
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Just an Ordinary Trainer that doing his Nuzlocke
Something that frustrates me to no end is pretty much any mon with Shadow tag,Mean Look, Explosion, and Selfdestruct. Also any mon that carrying counter and mirror coat... (shudders).

Don't ask me why. You probably already know

io_

planning things is easier than writing them xdfbgn
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
preferably they/them please :) please don't be mad at me over it
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This friendly ghost lurks around sites of interest and tries to say hi. They may project a little too much onto their writing.
That's a nice long-standing companion you have there, it'd be a shame if something could (*narrows eyes*) Counter it

lost 2 of my best companions in Insurgence to Destiny Bond and Counter and it stings something fierce

Derogatory Trainer

The hero you don't need but you're getting anyway.
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pokémon Type
???
Pokédex Entry
Wanted to be an Instagram whore but I got lost so now I do Reaction-Lockes.
Losing a Pokemon with Sturdy because Hail was going on at the time.

Generally losing any Pokemon with Sturdy to bullshit because it's one of the most useful abilities in a Nuzlocke.

Reactions: io_

satanicswirlix

Government Assigned Towelie Kinnie
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
dude/weed/lmao
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Cute
Pokédex Entry
This user's interests change more often than her pantalones. It is unlikely that she'll ever finish making a nuzlocke comic, but she can die trying!
Resetting in an Alola game and remembering the two hour tutorial

MouseWithADinosaurTail

A Comedian At Heart
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
She's like a sea urchin. Tough and prickly on the outside, but delicate and easily wounded if hit the wrong way. Please handle gently.
Catching a geodude for the seventeenth billionth time in a nuzlocke. ;;>.<

kittenrobotarmy

HERE COME THE BUFFS
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Always has a cat on her lap and a run that she should be working on. Loves Fire Emblem and Persona.
Trying to figure out which game that you're not tired of playing and realizing you're tired of playing all of them so you just torture yourself even more

R4v3rghost

Kinda Ghostish
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Fighting
Pokédex Entry
An EDM fanboy with an obsession for redheads. Spends all his money on MtG.
Trying to figure out which game that you're not tired of playing and realizing you're tired of playing all of them so you just torture yourself even more
This one is way too real.

Also, trying to remember what moves a Pokemon can get in a randomized run when you've seen it before.

Obelisk

no sleep only wepears
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric
Pokédex Entry
Eccentric 'locker obsessed with Magikarp.
When the game seems to just be straight-up out for blood and constantly rolls massive crits against your team members. God, it makes running certain games difficult for me because I'm convinced those game carts are sentient and hate me.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
Wela Volcano Park was a PAIN in my (abandoned) attempt at wonderlocking Pokemon Moon. The Salandit all know Dragon Rage, and Fletchling knows Flail, which killed my Houndour (most embarrassing death ever up until the point where my Lucario was taken out by a flippin' BONSLY).

Wela Volcano Park was the first time in that run where I actually turned on the Exp. Share.

Reactions: io_

pkmnMasterWheeler

Conqueror of the Mahogany Gym
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Cute
Gotta say, the most annoying thing that has ever happened to me in a Nuzlocke has got to be my Aegislash one shotting itself from full health in confusion in the Elite Four. I didn't even know confusion could do that much damage before that point V:

mewstein

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Defeating a Celebi after an extremely tense battle in a Randomised Emerald ROM which cost the lives of two of my team - all for an absolutely pathetic amount of experience points (base exp yield is 64 for that thing?! Sheesh).

Draknir

Fear the Deer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Dark, Dragon
Just started a randomized Ultra Moon run with the rule I ignore the forced encounter on Route 1. That encounter? A Mold Breaker Axew. While I started with a Salamence, it would've been nice to have. My actual encounter?

Sentret.

Of course.

TerryTheTeryx

Gen Z Degenerate
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Flying, Steel
Pokédex Entry
A bizarre Pokémon who dislikes many social activities. She appears to have a penchant for peanut butter and foreign languages.
When the game gifts you with fragile pokemon that you know aren't going to last, but you get so attached to them that they leave you honestly devastated when they do die.

Paine

The doctorate is in pain.
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 20, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
He/him; they/them; she/her
Pokémon Type
Psychic, ???
Pokédex Entry
It never quite knows what it's doing. Yet, somehow, things still get done.
W2 really seemed to be out for every Pokémon I was /excited/ to use in my run xD
Axew? Died to an Unfezant early in training
Litwick with a helpful nature /and probably 31 SpA?/ Dead in Big Stadium.
Golbat? Didn’t even make it out of Reversal Mountain <<

Thank /god/ Zweilous held out to the end at least xD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)