• Ash has been all over the news lately and this site is no exception! Check out Ashes to Ashes, the latest featured run!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes recieving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our new Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • Happy tapaversary, Guest! It's been about a year since the Tapatalk Takeover; if you'd like to make a donation to us to celebrate the fact that we tapped out of that site, please click here.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about the new Critique Level Tags!
  • The second episode of Nuzlocke City Radio is here! Tune in for our discussion on the history and analysis of gijinkas, catch up on the biggest forum news, and we finally settle the score between Team Aqua and Team Magma in The Debatelockers!

Fun  Friendship Café ★★★★

Thread Description
4...20 or something

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker and Nuzlocke Completionist
🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Good luck @Trollkitten that is so awesome you are enjoying the lorelocke rules. Indeed an early pied piper makes an interesting choice, and taking Brock with a Beedrill is dangerous yet doable. I have faith in you! What starter did you choose btw and what rule did you get?

Sorry to hear @Lumaeus hopefully you'll get other chances later on?

We have elections here, AGAIN, so silly as the last one was 5 months ago and sadly I doubt we'll get a change of goverment... but hi at least I get a day off.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Also a major Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
What starter did you choose btw and what rule did you get?
I chose Squirtle, and I got "The Minogame" as my lore rule. His randomized age was 8,684, which means that he can't use any physical moves (or Bite) until he becomes Blastoise, but at least he still gets STAB.

mewstein

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Great stuff @Trollkitten - keep us posted on your adventures! Hopefully grinding on a cartridge won't be too tedious - no wonder you ended up with a 8,684 year old starter!

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Also a major Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
Hopefully grinding on a cartridge won't be too tedious - no wonder you ended up with a 8,684 year old starter!
I spent more time than I'd like to admit grinding Weedle into Beedrill before the first gym. Hopefully I can nab that sweet, sweet nectar.

Lumaeus

Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Brave
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Cute
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon is trying its best to fight the good fight.
@RubyClaw Honestly, as an American it doesn't make any sense to me how you can have an election without a two year lead-up. Where's the multibilion dollar campaign season, the scandals, the thoughts and prayers? It's just remarkable that you manage to get a dysfunctional government so quickly. Our dysfunction takes time. But seriously, as of writing this, your election is too close to call, but I wish you all the best. It's a rough time.

No fear for me, I get a shot next year, and I'll be very ready then. I've lost a fellowship that was forcing me to sprint through the doctoral marathon, so now I have time to do it right. It's really a good thing.

@Trollkitten I'm avoiding reading through the rules since it's so very very cool, so I don't have context for what you're talking about with the randomized age. And that makes it even more exciting. Keep the half-spoilers coming ;)

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker and Nuzlocke Completionist
🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
@Lumaeus but then what will happen to all the good honest people that work in the profitable capitalist campaign-season industry? Think about all the jobs that will be lost if you cut it short to our duration :P. But seriously. sadly even though the American system does seem rather crazy, it's not that much better here in terms of scandals, prayers and other silly useless activities. The first results just arrived, and things are better than I expected, but it is still too early to know what government will be created from this mess (I'm overall a supporter of the Parliamentary Democracy system, but coalition building time is never its finest hour).

Well stay positive and I'm sure things will turn out for the best next time!

Ha, I'm enjoying watching this half-spoilery debate about the lorelocke way more than I should be. Who wouldn't want a 8000~ years old Minogame? Also @Trollkitten it sounds totally worth it for that sweet-sweet honey :goodnezz:

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Made it up to Cerulean City in my FireRed lorelocke. Without going into spoilers, I am now convinced that the Rattata of this world are out to kill me. (Stupid crit Hyper Fang.)

I got Oni Blood for my Route 4 Spearow catch, which is a pretty complex rule:

Oni Blood
Must have at least 1 Dark type move if possible. Must have at least 1 Fighting type move if possible. Must use at least one damaging move before it can be switched out of battle. If it is hit by a Fairy move it must switch out as soon as possible.

The first part will be easy, since Spearow learns Pursuit at level 19, but I've also obtained the Thief TM in Mt. Moon, which means I can make this little guy a bandit bird. The second part is sadly impossible without hacking in Gen 3, but the third part is doable and will actually help motivate me to use Thief and obtain the goods while grinding. Obviously the last part doesn't apply in a Gen 3 game.

I also now have a Zubat with Burned By The Light, which in FireRed means she can only be out three consecutive turns in the open air without dying. Considering I'm doing a lot of switch grinding, this might not be AS bad as it sounds, since most of the plot-important battles (including all of the gym leaders) are behind closed doors. Still, I already have multiple Poison-types and Flying-types, so I might not actually use her once I get more catches and can have more team variety.

Squiggy Azalea

a goode boy
🎇Contributor
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 20, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Electric, Grass
Pokédex Entry
pizza pasta mamma mia
hey so for some reason the 1 billion lions vs every pokemon debate has resurfaced on the internet (particularly twitter) and so as a fellow pokemon fan i must ask you guys this question....

who will win: 1 billion lions or one of every pokemon?

Rubombee

the ace that stays up the sleeve
Artist
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Water, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Doesn't even eat baguette, are you sure she's French
every Pokémon as in, legendaries as well?

Why is this a question?

TrueZero2

Ninja! Comic! Best Match!
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
Well Borderlands 3 has kicked me in the gut... twice. Not going to say specifics, but it involves characters that are playable in the other games.

That being said, I have just beaten the Penn and Teller (Sorry, Pain and Terror) boss. Good lord the larger bosses are becoming Bullet Sponges.

Cleffachi

Training to be Cute
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 15, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pronouns
She/Her/They/Them
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is a shark! It tends to dislike cynicism and being mean.
PLEASE WATCH PROMARE

Lumaeus

Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Brave
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Cute
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon is trying its best to fight the good fight.
I'd love to say the Pokemon would win, but you gotta remember that with PP so limited, even if all of them somehow had 200 moves, they'd only be able to attack <200,000 times. So there's no way they could--

Wait. Perish Song affects ALL targets. Soundproof exempts you. So if a Pokemon gets off a Perish Song, we just need Voltorb, Electrode, Mime Jr., Mr. Mime, Whismur, Loudred, or Exploud to survive the remaining turns.

Turn 1: Greninja (base speed 122, so it'll go before lions, I think) uses Mat Block, protecting all Pokemon. Something else, like idk Celebi, uses Perish Song. Perish Count set to 3.
Turn 2: Voltorb, Electrode, Mime Jr., Mr. Mime, Whismur, Loudred, Exploud use Protect. All other Pokemon do their best. Anyone not protected faints. Perish Count set to 2.
Turn 3: Protect again. At 50% success, we'll have three or four of the Soundproofs left. Perish Count set to 1.
Turn 4: Protect again. It only has a 1/8th chance of success, but we get a few shots. If we survive, lions faint.

All this assumes the lions attacks aren't all normal-type. If they are, we skill swap Soundproof onto a Ghost for guaranteed success.

Squiggy Azalea

a goode boy
🎇Contributor
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 20, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Electric, Grass
Pokédex Entry
pizza pasta mamma mia
I'd love to say the Pokemon would win, but you gotta remember that with PP so limited, even if all of them somehow had 200 moves, they'd only be able to attack <200,000 times. So there's no way they could--

Wait. Perish Song affects ALL targets. Soundproof exempts you. So if a Pokemon gets off a Perish Song, we just need Voltorb, Electrode, Mime Jr., Mr. Mime, Whismur, Loudred, or Exploud to survive the remaining turns.

Turn 1: Greninja (base speed 122, so it'll go before lions, I think) uses Mat Block, protecting all Pokemon. Something else, like idk Celebi, uses Perish Song. Perish Count set to 3.
Turn 2: Voltorb, Electrode, Mime Jr., Mr. Mime, Whismur, Loudred, Exploud use Protect. All other Pokemon do their best. Anyone not protected faints. Perish Count set to 2.
Turn 3: Protect again. At 50% success, we'll have three or four of the Soundproofs left. Perish Count set to 1.
Turn 4: Protect again. It only has a 1/8th chance of success, but we get a few shots. If we survive, lions faint.

All this assumes the lions attacks aren't all normal-type. If they are, we skill swap Soundproof onto a Ghost for guaranteed success.
yea but the lions can cover eachothers' ears

lion headphones

mewstein

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Wait, Pokémon moves only cause fainting - when was the last time you saw a lion cause a gazelle to faint?

Rubombee

the ace that stays up the sleeve
Artist
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Water, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Doesn't even eat baguette, are you sure she's French
It depends whether you follow the game mechanics, or what the pokédex says (like slugma being hotter than the sun or something), or darker-toned nuzlockes' worldbuilding.

Last edited:

Cleffachi

Training to be Cute
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 15, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pronouns
She/Her/They/Them
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is a shark! It tends to dislike cynicism and being mean.
ok but like...the lions lose to rock and/or steel types like regirock and aggron and registeel and steelix
like they just break their teeth and claws on solid rock/metal and then starve

mewstein

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
@Rubombee Point taken - especially given the (human) body count in a certain Nuzlocke comic that shall remain nameless.

Also given Japan’s recent performance in rugby, my money’s on the Pokémon...

mewstein

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
So does Kyogre somehow melt the icecaps first? There’s only a finite amount of water on the planet so unless he somehow pulls an extra terrestrial body of water into the mix there’s still gonna be a bit of dry land somewhere for the fastest swimming lions to get to. And if we’re really going to town on this scenario, the corpses of the millions of lions and Pokémon killed would provide a floating raft of biomass for the survivors to take refuge on.

Geez I can’t believe you guys are making me think of such things on a gloriously sunny Saturday morning...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)