• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Eight of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode bids adieu to another story and welcomes in a new one. Protagonists also star in our discussion segment!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Comic Unova Teen Mon For What It's Worth: A Pokemon Black Nuzlocke

Thread Description
Updates on the 15th!

ratrascal

local idiot
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 28, 2020
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Normal
Pokédex Entry
It's flighty and nervous, but once it starts talking, its difficult to get it to stop.

"The time is right for starting a Pokemon adventure, and Nuvema's local teens are finally ready to head off on their own. Avery, humorous and laid-back, finds herself caring for an Oshawott with a puzzling lack of confidence for a starter Pokemon.

It was supposed to be a simple journey, but no one can rest easy when the controversial figures of Team Plasma start to make waves across the region.

As someone who always preferred just taking it slow and teasing her friends, Avery realizes that she's going to have to step up and defend the things she cares about.

The Unova region will have to face its shortcomings, or risk losing the connection between humans and Pokemon forever."

[CONTENT WARNING]

"For What It's Worth" contains moderate violence, blood/gore, themes of death, & strong language.

[RULES]

Gameplay completed 1/23/20. Comic started 6/15/20.

[START READING BELOW]

Table of Contents
Act 1: The First Step

Hi hi, thanks for clicking on this thread! >:39 This is my first go at creating a nuzlocke comic- I'm excited to share and I hope you enjoy it!
You can expect updates on the 15th of every month, unless there is an announcement stating otherwise!
(I am a full time student, but this comic is my top priority when creating art.)

{7/27/20: Very belatedly bringing this onto the Nuzforums, I hope I'm using the site correctly. Pages 1 and 2 are already available to read! I will update this thread with subsequent pages from now on.)​

Last edited:

oliviamakesanart

yee to the haw
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 19, 2020
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Obsessed with cowboy hats
I love these characters so much. The human kids relationships with each other and their Pokemon are just so pure and I want nothing but happiness for them. The art style is also really pretty, I love the colors, especially on the end of page 2!
I really like how much we're delving into the Pokemon characters These mons already have a lot of personality, and I especially love Patrat girl. Patrat/Watchdog don't get enough love so I'm rooting for her to make it all the way to the Champion! I'll be keeping an eye on this comic, good luck with future pages!

Kadew

*bird sounds*
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Doesn't actually like birds all that much.
First of all: your artstyle is ADORABLE I love these kids and these pokemon, they're so packed with personality and charm. Especially that lil patrat, gosh she's a cutie. She'd better make it all the way to the league and achieve all her little patrat dreams bc her enthusiasm is infectious and I've come down hard with it.

Second of all: I am impressed and terrified by your stylistic decision to make each and every character have not only their own speech balloon style, but also their own unique font. Like, wow. That sounds like a nightmare to keep straight and yet here you are, doing it, all these texts that color how the character speaks in their own unique ways. Are you going to keep this up all the way through the entire story for every single character? Or just significant ones like teammates and rivals and gym leaders and starters... heck even just listing that out sounds like so many that my mind boggles. I wouldn't blame you one bit for dialing it back later if it's too much, but for now I'm scared and intrigued by this path you've chosen. The unique dialogue balloons alone is quite a lot of extra and a nice touch to make sure whose saying what is always straight.

Third of all: I love this comic and and you're excellent and I'm so happy you've shared it on the forums! Best of luck going forward! I cannot wait to see more.

Waweezer

Conqueror of the Cinnabar Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 22, 2020
Pokémon Type
Ground, Ice
Pokédex Entry
This pokemon is known to make weird comics at random, no one really knows why.
wow! what an amazing start to a nuzlocke comic!

sociopathicotter

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2020
Nature
Docile
Pokémon Type
Water
A lot of people have already talked about the art style (which is gorgeous by the way, Orion is so incredibly cute and the speech bubbles for each of the trainers do a fantastic job conveying their unique personalities) but I also wanted to mention the cover. I always love seeing night sky aesthetics, and the extra aurora traces in the background (which kinda look like Reshiram and Zekrom to me, not sure if intentional) only make your cover art prettier!

khorale

Ruler of the Pillow Fort
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 22, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
She enjoys showing off her artwork to others, and constantly discovers new techniques to experiment with
EVERYONE LOOKS SO ADORABLE! I love your art style and all of your character's personalities! Everything is so bright and colorful! That Patrat's such an adorable little baby~

Tailsimp

A Universally Under-Rested University Imp
🎇Contributor
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Tailsimp: The Impish Pokemon. Despite being quiet and reserved, this pokemon is usually very happy to talk and is always excited to help out!
Ahhhh I see you almost every week at Zero's streams: how did I miss that you debuted your run!?

Unsurprisingly your colorful expressive art shines in the comic so well! All of the character designs are unique and engaging to see! Your expressions and poses are always strong, so you really feel the emotion of the characters- so even normal conversations end up packed with energy and are engaging to read!

I also already love this main trio of characters. Their personalities already play off each other in fun ways. Just enough of a difference for their to be some natural conflict, but still friendly enough you can believe this trio is real friends and enjoys sticking together. Then you add their trio of starters and you get even more fun dynamics getting set up for even more shenanigans I cant wait to see.

Your world building also has me 👀 already, and I like the way you used the first rival battle to deliver it along with showing off personalities, and setting up stakes going forward. All in all a very well done use of what's basically just a tutorial in the game! You've managed to already make some of the most mundane section of the games (tutorials/starting route) into a fun and engaging read, so i cant wait to see where it goes from here!

feraligatr

Lizard Breath™
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 31, 2020
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Isn't clever enough to come up with a creative username, so just uses the name of favorite pokemon instead
Ooh I'm already loving this! Everything is so colorful and expressive! I love everyone's relationships with each other and how much personality each pokemon already has!

Riboo

Conqueror of the Cianwood Gym
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 24, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
Electric
GASP YOU'RE HERE!

I'm puttin' this shit right here too >W< Good to see ya on the forums!

Bandkrook

Sinnoh League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 18, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Poison
WOW!! I stopped coming here to the forums due to school and all, and as I comeback, I see your Black Nuzlocke, and I gotta say: what an amazing artstyle. All the characters (especially the Pokemon) have SO MUCH personality. Good job, I'll be keeping an eye on this one!

ratrascal

local idiot
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 28, 2020
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Normal
Pokédex Entry
It's flighty and nervous, but once it starts talking, its difficult to get it to stop.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
oh my gosh!!!
I love these characters so much. The human kids relationships with each other and their Pokemon are just so pure and I want nothing but happiness for them. The art style is also really pretty, I love the colors, especially on the end of page 2!
I really like how much we're delving into the Pokemon characters These mons already have a lot of personality, and I especially love Patrat girl. Patrat/Watchdog don't get enough love so I'm rooting for her to make it all the way to the Champion! I'll be keeping an eye on this comic, good luck with future pages!
thank you!! im so happy you like it, that means a lot to me!! Q__Q im really excited to get into all the pokemon characters!
yeah man, patrat and watchog DON'T get enough love!!! o|-< i hope i can turn a few hearts and minds with this comic. but whether our little patrat specifically makes it all the way, well, i can't say.
First of all: your artstyle is ADORABLE I love these kids and these pokemon, they're so packed with personality and charm. Especially that lil patrat, gosh she's a cutie. She'd better make it all the way to the league and achieve all her little patrat dreams bc her enthusiasm is infectious and I've come down hard with it.

Second of all: I am impressed and terrified by your stylistic decision to make each and every character have not only their own speech balloon style, but also their own unique font. Like, wow. That sounds like a nightmare to keep straight and yet here you are, doing it, all these texts that color how the character speaks in their own unique ways. Are you going to keep this up all the way through the entire story for every single character? Or just significant ones like teammates and rivals and gym leaders and starters... heck even just listing that out sounds like so many that my mind boggles. I wouldn't blame you one bit for dialing it back later if it's too much, but for now I'm scared and intrigued by this path you've chosen. The unique dialogue balloons alone is quite a lot of extra and a nice touch to make sure whose saying what is always straight.

Third of all: I love this comic and and you're excellent and I'm so happy you've shared it on the forums! Best of luck going forward! I cannot wait to see more.
thanks so much!! ;U; and haha, well ill admit the speech bubbles are a stylistic decision that takes a little extra time, i think im way too attached to it. o|-< i have a file dedicated to keeping track of everyone's bubble palette and a masterlist of characters + which font i assigned them. idk i guess i like it because its easy to see whos talking no matter what, even if theyre offscreen, and i have a lot of fun giving characters "voices" thru the font if that makes sense. does that make sense? LMAO
when it comes to, like, crowds, random passerby, or characters speaking in unison, im likely to settle on a "universal" font for that. but besides that, everyone gets their own thing, because i am a crazy person.
im so glad youre enjoying the comic!
wow! what an amazing start to a nuzlocke comic!
THANK YOU!!! <3
A lot of people have already talked about the art style (which is gorgeous by the way, Orion is so incredibly cute and the speech bubbles for each of the trainers do a fantastic job conveying their unique personalities) but I also wanted to mention the cover. I always love seeing night sky aesthetics, and the extra aurora traces in the background (which kinda look like Reshiram and Zekrom to me, not sure if intentional) only make your cover art prettier!
yeah!! they're supposed to kinda resemble reshiram and zekrom so youre right! im happy you caught that. thank you!!
EVERYONE LOOKS SO ADORABLE! I love your art style and all of your character's personalities! Everything is so bright and colorful! That Patrat's such an adorable little baby~
AWWW TYSM!!! im glad you like her! Q__Q
Ahhhh I see you almost every week at Zero's streams: how did I miss that you debuted your run!?

Unsurprisingly your colorful expressive art shines in the comic so well! All of the character designs are unique and engaging to see! Your expressions and poses are always strong, so you really feel the emotion of the characters- so even normal conversations end up packed with energy and are engaging to read!

I also already love this main trio of characters. Their personalities already play off each other in fun ways. Just enough of a difference for their to be some natural conflict, but still friendly enough you can believe this trio is real friends and enjoys sticking together. Then you add their trio of starters and you get even more fun dynamics getting set up for even more shenanigans I cant wait to see.

Your world building also has me 👀 already, and I like the way you used the first rival battle to deliver it along with showing off personalities, and setting up stakes going forward. All in all a very well done use of what's basically just a tutorial in the game! You've managed to already make some of the most mundane section of the games (tutorials/starting route) into a fun and engaging read, so i cant wait to see where it goes from here!
hey there tails!! lol i havent done anything on the forums until now, so makes sense that it went a lil under the radar. its nice to see you here!

thank you so much, thats honestly such a huge relief!! o|-< starting was kinda spooky so im happy weve managed to make it through a bunch of preliminary stuff without it being a slog- that was honestly a huge fear of mine. to hear it was engaging takes a weight off the shoulders!!
Ooh I'm already loving this! Everything is so colorful and expressive! I love everyone's relationships with each other and how much personality each pokemon already has!
thanks a bunch!! >:39 i really appreciate that, its super motivating to hear! ✨ im really happy to have given off good impressions with the characters so far!
GASP YOU'RE HERE!

I'm puttin' this shit right here too >W< Good to see ya on the forums!
AAUGGGHHH I STILL LOVE THIS SO MUCH!!! like every time i look at it again it makes me so happy. Q__Q <3 i love your art and really appreciate the gift!! imma feature this on the thread as soon as im strong enough to brave using the forum tools again BD
WOW!! I stopped coming here to the forums due to school and all, and as I comeback, I see your Black Nuzlocke, and I gotta say: what an amazing artstyle. All the characters (especially the Pokemon) have SO MUCH personality. Good job, I'll be keeping an eye on this one!
hi hi, welcome back to the forums! thanks a bunch, i hope you still enjoy it going forward!! ^__^

i didnt expect all this support but it means a lot to me! 💖💖💖 tysm for the warm welcome onto the forums! i hope everyone is doing well!

Sarbear

phobiaverse overlord
Artist
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 19, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Water, Dark
Pokédex Entry
I'm in WIP hell, but at least it's warm down here.
Your artstyle is super cute!! I love the design quirks you gave to the pokemon, it makes them look so friendly and loveable.
And right off the bat theres genuine friendship between the nuvema gang and i love that for them 🥰
I look forward to future updates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)