• New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Happy new forum! We decided this was a golden opportunity for us to feature a fresh new imported run!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes recieving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our new Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • The second episode of Nuzlocke City Radio is here! Tune in for our discussion on the history and analysis of gijinkas, catch up on the biggest forum news, and we finally settle the score between Team Aqua and Team Magma in The Debatelockers!

Roleplay Mature [FINISHED] PMD: Heirs of Fate (Chapter 1.5- Rest and Relaxation)

Thread Description
A side story roleplay involving Team Borealis! RP is closed.

MouseWithADinosaurTail

The Lost Prince of Lightbeacon
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
Though she often appears sweet and polite, the smell of wrong opinions may cause this pokemon to latch bite.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
After the bustle of having been shepherded into Orion's room, Calamus wasn't prepared for when Orion dove back under the covers of their bed and spoke up. "Did I do something wrong?"

"H-h-huh?" It took Calamus by surprise. "N-no! Why would you think that? I..." It then occurred to him that he'd been simmering with jealousy just a moment ago, in front of Orion who was clearly upset. Calamus knew he didn't like it when he wanted comfort but his handmaidens were too concerned with their own problems. It made him feel unimportant, or like he'd... done something wrong. He felt hot all of a sudden. "I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to.. I was just, it wasn't anything you did, I was just thinking about stuff, um..." Orion said nothing, and he broke into a sweat. "I'm sorry, I.. don't know how to talk to people, I-I....."

He trailed off, suddenly wanting to smack himself. Shoot, what was he doing?! He was floundering! He was embarrassing himself! He glanced for a long moment at Sapphire, suddenly feeling a bit feverish and incredibly ashamed. Of all the pokemon intheir makeshift group, she was the one who'd be judging him. He could stick his nose in the air and firmly tell Orion that all he'd done wrong is dare to question Calamus. He could do something impressive. Something that wouldn't make him an embarrassment to his lineage.

Or was it a miscalculation to think of your abilities so highly?

He was quiet for an extended moment. And then he shuffled closer to Orion's bed and sat down, wincing just a bit at the pull on his stitches. "... How come you're worried about your mom?"

Zero

Jet's Black Nuzlocke
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
she/her/it
Pokémon Type
Fire, Bug
Pokédex Entry
It is born asleep, and it dies asleep. All its movements are apparently no more than the results of it tossing and turning in its dreams.
Luella was delighted that the children were, as far as she could tell, getting along swimmingly. With a new spring in her step she waddled down the hall to the lobby to see if any caregivers were available to talk.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
There seemed to be a war going on inside Calamus' head. Orion tucked the blankets closer to themself, preparing for the attack.

"...How come you're worried about your mom?"

That... was not what they were expecting. Out of the corner of their eye, they spot Sapphire entering the room. They allow the blankets on top of their head to fall away, not wanting to get attacked on two fronts. They had to be calm. Calm and assertive. That was what their mom told them worked best with her students.

Still... They look between the two. They are not a professor. They are not their students. They do not have inherent status over them. They must tread carefully. Truth will be my guide.

And the truth is... "I do not know. I want her here, but she is not, and that is good because then she is not hurt, but..." They're not making any sense, are they? Their broken brain is going to ruin everything! They look to the Mareep in desperation. "Do you understand?"

MouseWithADinosaurTail

Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
Though she often appears sweet and polite, the smell of wrong opinions may cause this pokemon to latch bite.
An... emotion, stirred in Calamus when Orion met his eyes with that desperate look. Whoa. Calamus suddenly felt like he was experiencing something he'd never experienced before. To say he was a difficult child was putting it lightly. A day didn't go by in Lightbeacon without him needing some sort of comfort. Either his studies were too difficult or his lightning was out of control or his dad was too busy to see him or his hot chocolate was lukewarm instead of piping hot, or he had a knot in his wool or he'd lost his favorite yo-yo or one of the guards had given him a funny look and scared him. Whether it be Dad or Mom or any of his handmaidens, people back home had always been comforting Calamus.

But, he'd come to realize over the years that he'd never gotten the opportunity to reciprocate that kindness.

He was left out of things. His family didn't share the bad news with him. And maybe, he'd never earned a right to hear the bad news in the first place. But no matter the cause, he'd never been in a position where it was his turn to offer comfort to someone desperate. He felt shy for a moment; he was going to muck it up somehow, for sure. He'd miscalculate. But...

Calamus scootched closer to Orion. He wasn't sure what to say, but he didn't make an effort to put on a front, for now. "I think I do." He gave Orion a sympathetic look and said, "You miss your mom, don't you? I.. wish my mom was here, too... She makes me feel better when I'm scared..." He was talking about himself now. Was he supposed to talk about himself when trying to comfort someone else? Shoot! He was messing up! "U-um! But, um, I think, uh, you'll be okay! When you're better, you can go see her! She's probably worried about you!" His tail flickered gently when an idea suddenly struck him. "Hey, maybe you could write her a letter? Tell her you're okay? I could help! I-if you want."

Bowser's Family Vacation

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
The Mareep comes in closer to them. The Elgyem feels their body tense involuntarily, but they force that feeling away. It could be misinterpreted.

But... somehow... Calamus did not misinterpret them. The words he says puts the amorphous infinity of emotion into a shape: measurable, controllable. They are amazed.

At Calamus' offer to write a letter, they nod. They reach into their pack and pull out their notebook. The first part is a transcription of the passage about Legendary Pokemon that prompted their search for truth with their annotations. The second is far less organized: scattered notes about their battle techniques. They feel like they are almost at the point where they can channel their psychic energy into a Psybeam...

Well, they were. With the damage that has been done... They shake their head vigorously, ignoring the pain that action creates. There is no way their mom would make that judgement over a letter. They flip to the back of the book and rip out a page. Their mom would call it sacrilege to damage a book like that, especially since she bought it for their use on this journey, but it's just their notes. It isn't a real book. As they reach in their bag for a writing implement, though, they don't feel one.

It must have slipped out when I fell. Their broken brain betrays them again. They would have noticed it if it were working!

But now that they are back in civilization... presumbly... there are surely more writing implements about! "I appear to have misplaced my ink and quill," the Elgyem admits. "When Mrs. Lu returns, I will ask her about borrowing one -or perhaps buying one. Thank you for the idea."

An awkward silence fills the air. No, that can't be how they end it! Lu just left; they need to talk more! They review Calamus' words. He mentioned his mom. Perfect! Orion knows that they can talk about their mom forever, so Calamus must be the same way! Talking about moms will keep the conversation safe and from getting too heated. "What is your mom like? How does she help you when you are scared?"

MouseWithADinosaurTail

Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
Aw, dang! Orion didn't have a quill and ink. Calamus glanced around the room, hoping to maybe spot some somewhere. The Lightbeacon castle had writing utensils close at hand! Not that Calamus was fond of using them to write. But he did like to draw pictures with the ink! Little faces, boats and houses, things that made his handmaidens laugh. Quiet settled upon the room, and then, Orion, spoke again.

"What is your mom like? How does she help you when you are scared?"

It was like a flower had wilted inside him. In the past few weeks, he had come to learn how quickly a mood could change. Before that night, when he was happy, it wasn't so easy to get sad. It took a lot of frustration, or a long time of wallowing in unhappy thoughts before he could truly call himself sad. Now, he found, his mood could shift in an instant. It was like a shadow had fallen over his heart. He was so different now. Everything had changed. Everything was so...

Or was it a miscalculation to think of your abilities so highly?

Calamus wrapped his tail tightly around himself, and dropped his gaze to meet no one's eye. "She, um..." He tried to say it. But, the words caught in his throat like a fish hook. And that's when he realized. He hadn't said it. It had been three weeks since that horrible night. So much had happened since then, and for the first time in his life, he'd been alone. But not even to himself, on those cold dark nights, had he said it aloud. The reality of what had happened. The reality of who he now was. His heart shattered. Calamus started to shake, and sparks zapped through his wool. With every shaky breath, he kept trying to say it, but he couldn't, he couldn't, he couldn't, he couldn't!

A sob escaped his lips. His eyes overflowed with tears. And he trembled.

Tailsimp

🎇Contributor
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Tailsimp: The Impish Pokemon. Despite being quiet and reserved, this pokemon is usually very happy to talk and is always excited to help out!
They really were... Children.

Sapphire listens to the pair, laying near the end of the cot as comfortably as she could. They were both in worse shape, either emotionally or physically, so it made sense to let them have room on the bed. She watched Orion closely to gauge their injuries; luckily they seemed mostly alright. Most likely still working through a concussion, but it wasnt anything more treatment couldn't solve.

But it was clear the pair were suffering from more than just their physical ailments. She had realised in the cave that Calams was young, if not in body then in mind; but she was only now that Orion was as well. Even if they were smarter in the academic regard, they seemed much lees versed in the ways of the world.

Sapphire was content to just listen. She wasnt asked to join, and she didn't want to speak of important things until Mrs. Lu was back.

"What is your mom like? How does she help you when you are scared?"

The pain in Calamus was palpable. She watched the way their face scrunched and wilted as their body followed suit; but it wasn't until they started sparking that Sapphire stood and walked over. She temembered vividly what happened the last time they got worked up and began to spark.

"Calamus, stop. You need to calm down."

She didnt like having to baby him, but what else could she do with a baby?

"Take a few deep breaths; in your nose and out your mouth if you can."

Last edited:

Bowser's Family Vacation

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
As Calamus' wool begins to spark, Orion gathers their blankets around themself, preparing to flee from an attack. As their head pounds with the palpitations of their heart, however, they notice something: Calamus' eyes.

They aren't full of anger. They're full of... pain.

Pain is something Orion has unfortunately become quite familiar with over the past... day? Really? Is that all?

The Elgyem marvels at how time can be at once a flash and a tunnel.

They work through the puzzle in their head. Why would Calamus be in such pain at the mention of his mom? Orion's first thought is that his mom hurts him, somehow. But no, Calamus spoke highly of his mother. So that can't be it.

It hits them like the ground from hundreds of feet up. She's dead.

The Elgyem is immediately sickened. How could they have done this!?

That is when Sapphire appears, coaching the Mareep through breathing exercises. Orion's first thought is that they should leave.

Their mom's own coaching echoes in their mind: Your first thought leads to better ones.

They should stay. No, they need to stay. Calamus helped them, and so they will help him back. Even if that means they should leave.

MouseWithADinosaurTail

Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
Calamus heard Sapphire speak up for the first time, to him.

"Calamus, stop. You need to calm down."

He knew. He knew. He was always doing this, always freaking out, he couldn't control himself at all anymore!

"Take a few deep breaths; in your nose and out your mouth if you can."

Or was it a
miscalculation to think of your abilities so highly?

He tried to follow Sapphire's words, but right away he knew it was a hopeless effort. His breaths came out shaky and short, close to hyperventilating. But then, through his tear-filled eyes, he looked up and saw Orion. The psychic-type was looking at them with an indecipherable expression. And suddenly, Calamus realized what he was doing. He was crying. Sapphire was trying to coax him down from it. Everyone here was going to have to comfort him. Just like home. But Orion had needed help, too. Orion had been crying, too. He wasn't the only one here who was in pain.

His sparking dimmed down. A faint light still pulsed from his tail, but the cracking in his wool had died down. "I'm sorry... I shouldn't be...." his voice trailed off. He was still on the verge of tears. Though he felt desperate to give an explanation to the other two kids, some kind of reason as to why he'd randomly burst into tears, he found his throat wouldn't let by even one word about his mother. He felt wilted. Embarrassed. He wiped the snot from his nose with his hoof. "I-I can go find you a quill, Orion... if you want..." Surely the psychic-type wouldn't want him here now, bringing the mood down even further than it had fallen.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"I-I can go find you a quill, Orion... if you want..."

Well, you being alone right now sounds like the
worst possible idea! That is what Orion thinks.

What Orion says, however, is, "That will not be necessary. You said you would help me compose the missive, yes?" They hope the expression on their face is somewhat reassuring. "I must admit that words are not coming to me as... readily as they should." And that's enough on that subject because the last thing they need is them spiraling into a panic again!

The Elgyem looks at Sapphire. They feel bad for the Alolan Vulpix being thrust into emotional turmoil. They would be avoiding such things entirely, were they not individuals they had shared spilled blood over! "Would you like to join us? We are going to write a letter to my mom."

Tailsimp

🎇Contributor
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Tailsimp: The Impish Pokemon. Despite being quiet and reserved, this pokemon is usually very happy to talk and is always excited to help out!
She glanced at Orion as though they were crazy at first. Had the forgotten what Calamus was capable of? What happened the last time they had lost control of their emotions!? Certainly allowing Calamus to go off alone to find some quill was an asinine idea, but ignoring their state-

But then she realized that distraction wasn't a half bad idea. Not a fantastic one, but not a bad one. And really, who was she to act like she knew anything about the matter of Southerland comfort when it was apparently so different from her homeland?

Her homeland....

Her childhood...

Her mind wandered to the few times when she was still small and had to be comforted. It had been so long... but maybe...

"That sounds delightful Orion. I'd be happy to join." It was the sweetest Sapphire had sounded thus far, and she did her best to channel Mrs. Lu in everything but accent. Was it perfect? No. Was it at least good? Also no. But she hoped the tone would do at least something to keep the child from exploding with electricity like they had in the cave. "It's best to get an idea on what you'll say before we bother with the quill. Less wasted ink that way."

She hesitated for a second before pulling herself up on the cot next to Calamus. Then, trying her best to recall how her mother did it, gently pushed her exceptionally soft tails against Calamus's cheek, wiping off tears as she went.

"So Calamus, how shall we begin this letter?"

Maybe appeasing their dormant ego would bring their mind out of whatever horrid place it had tumbled into.

Last edited:

MouseWithADinosaurTail

Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
She was babying him.

If Sapphire's attempts to act motherly were at all well-intentioned, then Calamus supposed he appreciated the effort. But that was the thing. They didn't feel well-intentioned at all. While his family had always been very logical, Calamus preferred to trust his gut. His brain was a constant rattling mess when tried, so he found it better to trust the part of himself that couldn't hear his intrusive thoughts. And his gut told him that this was not genuine. The words were there, the gestures were there, and even the touch of her soft tail felt comfortingly cool on his cheek. But it was one step short of feeling really, truly genuine. There was an ulterior motive. What did Sapphire want to gain from comforting him? What did she care if he was upset??? He didn't understand, and it was enraging. He felt patronized. He was being patronized. Poor little baby Calamus, can't even comfort another pokemon without breaking down and needing to be cared for.

"Oh, I am sorry for my miscalculation dear leader, but I was a touch afraid my approaching you to ask you a question might cause you to overreact."

Or was it a
miscalculation to think of your abilities so highly?

Calamus decided at that moment that he did not like Sapphire.

But he knew how to deal with pokemon he didn't like. Dad had taught him. "It matters not what you think deep down, but what you seek to gain. Oftentimes, Calamus, achieving the greater good will rely on your ability to force a smile and shake hands with those you despise. We cannot choose who we may need to work with in this world, and drama between two pokemon is not worth drama between kingdoms. So practice your smile." Calamus hadn't expected to need to deal with such a situation until he was a flaaffy at least, but he could do it. He'd been trained to from hatching. Training his eyes away from Sapphire to make sure he didn't glare daggers at her, he looked at Orion. Orion still needed to be comforted. Orion was the important one here! Even despite his anger at the ice-type, he couldn't help but feel a wash of gratitude that the psychic had offered to let him stay, let him help! More than anything, he didn't want to be alone right now. And, to his surprise, he genuinely wanted Orion to feel better. Not for his own sake, not for Luella's, but for Orion's.

He wiped away the last of his tears and tried a little smile. "I think you should start by telling her how much you love her!"

Zero

Jet's Black Nuzlocke
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
she/her/it
Pokémon Type
Fire, Bug
Pokédex Entry
It is born asleep, and it dies asleep. All its movements are apparently no more than the results of it tossing and turning in its dreams.
~"Hello?"

The Audino looked up wearily from her desk before choosing to ignore the fat Chikorita fidgeting in front of her. Luella's cheeks scrunched up indignantly.

~"Excuse me!"

With a sigh the Audino put down her quill and folded her hands in front of her, looking up with a forced smile.

"Yes yes, ma'am, we haven't forgotten about you. Rest assured supper will be delivered to your room during the evening routine. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm sure you can see I'm rather busy right now."

Luella blinked. Now was that any way to speak to a patient! The Audino had already returned to her papers, willfully ignoring a rather peeved Luella hovering over her.

~"Well! I just thought you'd like to know that one of your patients had suffered a rather sever knock on the head and may need to be treated for a grade two concussion."

Without looking up the Audino shifted a piece of paper to review the information on the page under it.

"Hm, we treated the Mareep for his head injury, I would hardly consider that a moderate concussion, barely even a minor one. Not every headache is a cause for alarm, darling."

~"What? Calamus? No no, I was talking about Orion. The uh… Elgyem."

The Audino rolled her eyes up skeptically at Luella as if peering over the tops of imaginary eyeglasses.

"The Elgyem…hm? Now let me see here, they certainly didnt mention anything of the sort when we questioned them, nor did they show any signs of brain trauma when we tested for it: no aversion to light, no blurred vision, nausea or vomiting…"

As the doctor droned out a list of symptoms, Luella searched the ceiling for some measure of patience before cutting her off in exasperation.

~"He wouldn't have shown any symptoms because I had to perform field cure on him!"

She regretted those words as soon as they left her mouth. She'd forgotten who she was talking to, it was certainly not her intention to out herself as a healer to the medical staff.

Her face turned red as the doctor looked up at her slowly. Any ire she had felt as a patient disappeared, and she now stood before the doctor as a fellow healer, albeit one of a much lower caliber. Of all the natural born healers in the world, the Audino were among the most respected. In fact, it was supposedly Audino that developed the panacea technique known today as Heal Pulse, and Audino have often been the most proficient at using it out in the field. No doubt this doctor would have done a much better job had she been there instead of Luella, and yet she had the nerve to be snappy about it. She, a Chikorita, with no predisposition to true heal magic, no innate understanding of psychic powers, and no natural stores of fairy energy to draw from, had been snappy with her superior.

There was a momentary pause. The doctor did not seem pleased at all with this new information as she started shifting more papers around.

"Hmph, I see. Well, that does explain a lot actually…"

Luella said nothing. She wanted to crawl into a hole. The judgement was palpable, the subtext clear. These kids came in a mess, haphazardly pieced together, exhausted and weak, and it's all due to your incompetence as a healer.

The tired doctor let out a long sigh, she couldnt help but be a little frustrated at the shoddy job Luella had done on the children, which in some instances made their job sorting through the aftermath more complicated; yet she also couldnt deny that the mareep certainly would not have survived had they not received the make shift treatment they did get. Still, it had been a very long day, most of it spent treating their little band, and she was not being paid for counseling. Still, it wasn't like she meant to make the old Chikorita feel bad. She gave Luella a quick look over.

"At least you look much better than you did this morning, ma'am. Two more days of bed rest and you should be free to go. Could be even sooner, up to you really."

Luella thought for a moment.

~"What about the children?"

"Eh. Can't really say for sure at this point, ma'am. About a week at the very least."

~"I'd like to stay until they're discharged, if that's alright."

"Suit yourself."

As Luella walked down the hall back to Orion's room, she rocked her head from side to side, smacking herself gently in the face with her leaf. She was not about to burden these children with her own insecurities, and indeed hadn't she retired from the medical field in hopes of leaving such baggage behind? She put on a smile, the very act of which made her feel better already. With a deep breath she knocked on the door and let herself in.

Last edited:

Bowser's Family Vacation

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
Orion, oblivious to the tension brewing between the Mareep and the Alolan Vulpix, absorbed in thoughts about their mom, waves off Calamus' suggestion initially. "But... She already knows that I love her." They flip back through their notebook. Their head is hurting, so it is difficult for them to read it, but they know how it is organized. "Perhaps she would like an update on my research." They narrow their eyes. The words on the page are still... elusive. And that implies that anything of note has been found. There is already a copious amount of literature on the evolution of elemental attacks, how they begin basic but then call upon more mastery of the element. Nothing that their mom does not already know. They know she would humor them, but they don't want to humor her. They want to impress her! They want to prove that they can be co-workers, that they are a scholar of their own right. Maybe then... The rumors will start to lessen. That would be a great boon to their mom. If they had discovered anything about Legendary Pokemon, that would be a different story, but...

But how do they explain that to this group? If it were up to them... But it's not. It's their mom's secret too, and she's not here to defend herself. "On second thought, yes, that is a good place to start."

The Elgyem's eyes drift. As they will them back into submission, they realize that Lu has entered. "Do you have a quill and some ink? We are writing a letter to my mom. You are welcome to join us."

MouseWithADinosaurTail

Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
Calamus's ears pricked when Orion mentioned their research. Was this pokemon a scientist? But Orion seemed about his age! A teenager, like him. As Orion flipped through their notebook, it seemed that they changed their mind about it, but Calamus was too curious to let it go.

"What research? Are you a scientist? We had scientists back home too, they studied the weather! They could tell when it was gonna rain!"

Tailsimp

🎇Contributor
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
It had worked well enough, it seemed.

Sapphire felt relief wash over her as Calamus calmed down, shifting their attention from whatever had made them cry back to Orion. Good. Now she just hoped she could keep them together and focused on Orion's needs long enough for Lu to get back.

Somewhere, in the back of her mind, Sapphire noted that there was clearly something going on with Calamus and their family. This haughty child with no place in the outside world was wandering alone, and the mention of their mother had them tearing up in an instant. She could probably piece together the tragedy, if it was necessary or to her interest; but Calamus's past was neither of those things, so she let the questions slide out of her mind. Only a note of 'be wary of the topic of family' remained.

The two children started talking about how to start the letter, and Sapphire briefly let her mind wander from the inane talk to wonder how the final member of their group, Cassie, was doing. They seemed to need the least amount of treatment in the group; a miracle when one considers the Rhydon fell on them. She briefly wondered if Lu had checked on the bird-

"Perhaps she would like an update on my research."

... Research?

What sort of research...?

'What research? Are you a scientist? We had scientists back home too, they studied the weather! They could tell when it was gonna rain!'

Sapphire found her focus narrowed in again. It had completely slipped her mind but... What was a memeber of the prestigious Capital's Academy doing as far out as Orion was? The area they had been in before the collapse was nothing special after all. The only thing of note nearby far as Sapphire knew was....

The ruins she was heading towards.

"I'm quite curious as well." Sapphire offered, backing Calamus's question. "What were you researching so far out from the Capital Academy?"

Last edited:

Bowser's Family Vacation

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"What research? Are you a scientist? We had scientists back home too, they studied the weather! They could tell when it was gonna rain!"

Orion hopes that they will never be forced to study something as base as rain. They hope that sentiment does not appear on their face.

"What were you researching so far out from the Capital Academy?"

Orion senses that perhaps the others are not as interested in communicating with their mom as they should be. The Elgyem supposes that the best thing to do would be to satiate their curiosity, so they can return to the task at hand. "I am researching Legendary Pokemon. I found a tome that left me with questions. I am currently on a leave of absence, so I may investigate my line of questioning further." There. That should be enough. Back to the work to be done! "How formal should the tone of this letter be?"

Zero

Jet's Black Nuzlocke
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
she/her/it
Pokémon Type
Fire, Bug
Pokédex Entry
Entering the room Luella was delighted to find the children all engaged in conversation, huddled together like friends around Orion’s notebook. They’re getting along so well! she thought to herself.

~”A letter to your mom! What a lovely idea Orion!”

When was the last time she had gotten a letter from her second eldest. Their family was rather large, as most homesteads tend to be, and her other two children had left home but settled on other parts of the hill, so that it was easy to find time to visit. Not Beatrice, who had been struck with wonderlust and ran off to sea. Every now and then a letter would arrive letting them know she was alive and doing well, but they were few and far between with no discernible pattern to their arrival. Every one was a surprise and a treasure.

Upon being asked for a writing quill, Luella suddenly felt flustered. She hated to be asked for things she couldnt provide. She instinctively looked down to where her bad usually was, lost and gone, she’s have to do a bit of shopping when she gets a chance, but her money was also in that bag...
She looked around the room helplessly as if what she needed would magically appear.

In her hesitation the conversation had continued, so she padded over to lay on the ground near the bed, leaning on the pile of cushions cascading off the edge.

~”The doctors will be coming around with supper soon, we can ask them for ink when they show. Oh how I do love receiving letters. You know there’s nothing a mother appreciates more than knowing their children had been thinking about them, even if they don’t show it.”

She thought of her father as she said this, bless his heart. She had even given him a written note the day she bid him and her husband goodbye, so maybe he’ll have realized she’s left by now, or at least by the time she sends him her first letter once she finds a new town to settle in.

She was brought back from her thoughts by talk of legendaries. She knew very little of such things, so she settled in to listen. She said nothing at Orion’s question about tone, waiting to give the other two a chance to answer first.

Tailsimp

🎇Contributor
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
"I am researching Legendary Pokemon. I found a tome that left me with questions. I am currently on a leave of absence, so I may investigate my line of questioning further."

Legendaries.

It had been Sapphire's first instinct, of course, that the ruins she had found were connected to the legendaries. But she hadn't yet found ways to research the connections. Were the ruins old places of worship? Maybe places where legendaries rested? Maybe it was connected to them in a way Sapphire couldnt even imagine yet! She felt the burn in her gut return. A million questions about Orion's research, especially the tome, can spilling from her mind.

"How formal should the tone of this letter be?"

Ah...

Of course.

They weren't talking about that now. They were talking about their mom. And sending a letter to their mom. Of all the exciting and interesting and amazing things they could be doing or discussing...

Sapphire shoved the questions at the tip of her tounge back down her throat. Pushing too hard right now, with Orion in the physical and emotional state they were in, would do more harm than good.

Still....

"To be honest, I haven't written back home yet, so I can't say for sure, but I think somewhere in the middle would be nice. So you can talk about personal things and your research, if you would like."

MouseWithADinosaurTail

Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
Calamus stared at Sapphire for a moment. She'd beaten him to answering Orion's question on tone, and sadly to say, she had a good answer. Nothing was worse than the worst people making good points. Not that Sapphire was the worst person, persay, just...

Calamus spoke up, his tail bouncing back and forth. All this excitement about research and letters and Luella's return and his newfound distaste for Sapphire had brightened his mood some! That surprised him. Usually nowadays, the dark moods that pounced on him quickly would persist for hours. "I think you should write her some jokes! Everyone loves jokes! Do you know the one about the tourists and the ampharos?" He could barely hold down his giggles just thinking about it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)