• Ash has been all over the news lately and this site is no exception! Check out Ashes to Ashes, the latest featured run!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes recieving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our new Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • Happy tapaversary, Guest! It's been about a year since the Tapatalk Takeover; if you'd like to make a donation to us to celebrate the fact that we tapped out of that site, please click here.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about the new Critique Level Tags!
  • The second episode of Nuzlocke City Radio is here! Tune in for our discussion on the history and analysis of gijinkas, catch up on the biggest forum news, and we finally settle the score between Team Aqua and Team Magma in The Debatelockers!

Feature a Fan Run

Bug

My mind is racing but my feet just move too slow
🌱Featurer
🎇Contributor
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
oh fuck oh shit my dots...............................................................................................................................
Howdy! And welcome to Feature a Fan Run!

If you've been around for awhile, you probably already know about this thread. But for all of you who aren't yet in the know, let me explain: Feature a Fan Run is a thread where you are free to promo someone else's run! Be that a full blown article or a small blurb just telling us a cool run exists, please share it with us! From time to time the feature team will collect a few of these to put in our Reader Spotlights.

So, come one come all, and show your favorite runs a little love. :3c

Rhema

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
She tries her best, but doesn't succeed. She gets what she wants but not what she needs.
Hi everyone, Rhema here! I have a few runs that I follow on here that I have quite a lot of good things to say about. I usually try to shout them out on Discord but I saw this thread and noticed that no one has posted in it yet, so.......I figured I could be the first! I am a written story writer/reader, so all of these fics are written stories. WIthout further ado (and in no particular order), let's get into it!

1.) Electric Sheep by @Minty Electronica

"But it wouldn’t be the same. That was the problem. It would never be the same because everywhere one went in Unova, there were barriers, artificial forests, fake pokémon. All of it was just pretend—one giant theme park for the self-proclaimed eco-friendly hipsters and rich kids to indulge in. And maybe Door was a little self-righteous about that; even she admitted that she might be. But the idea of giving in and going on a journey through an amusement park? To her, it wouldn’t be a journey."

As Minty puts it, Electric Sheep is about a girl and her robots. Follow Door Hornbeam as she begrudgingly sets out on a journey through a futuristic Unova in which actual Pokemon are sparse and robotic ones are the new norm. Door is a down-to-earth MC that you can really relate to, and the cast of supporting characters in this fic are rich in personality and amusing to read about. Minty has quite a unique take on Unova that I think everyone should check out!

2.) Eight & Sand by @Frostmourne

"She had only her nightgown and a sense of direction.

That was all she needed. Had to be all she needed. Sadie couldn’t afford to think, for even a moment, that anything else was necessary to her survival. Even if the ground was hot on her feet. Even if the sun baked her body until her lips cracked and her throat screamed.

It was all she needed."

Frost/Rev really does something special here within this BlazeBlack Gijinkalocke. 8&S is a Western that is both extremely well written but also just plain jaw-dropping at times. The clever and poignant dialogue is really what steals the show in this fic; everyone has a unique point of view and vocalizes it in a way that only their character could. Rev is an seasoned writer that has a great grasp on this funky Western world and everyone who lives in it.

3.) Agency by @Thirteenth

"Something catches in your throat, but it disappears just as suddenly. Your rest your head against Naomi’s neck. It’s darker there, with your face pressed against her skin. You could sleep easily. “Will do,” you hear her say, and you’re moving. Naomi hugs you as she walks, and you don’t pay attention to much after that. You don’t catch any of the words she shares with the man at the desk. You just let your eyes close and hope you can dream."

I am not normally one to enjoy stories with Pokemon as narrators, but Thirteenth's fic is the exception. This is a dreamy Kanto fic mainly from the perspective of a Trainer's Pokemon. This perspective is extremely emotionally evocative purely because of how primal it is. These Pokemon don't think like humans, they think like Pokemon, which I imagine is particularly difficult to depict since, ya know.....Thirteenth is in fact a human. Major props to them for the way they tap into the minds of our furry little friends.

4.) Trainer Watching by @Flopdisc

"High on Mahalo Trail, feet on the cracked lip of a swaying plank bridge but daring to inch no further, Lillie Frost put her trust in a stranger.

It felt easier than breathing."

Trainer Watching is one of those fics that you might write off as just another light-hearted Alola story (especially given its adorable banner), but Flop really manages to subvert expectations here and creates some breathtaking moments with her prose. I will always direct people wanting to write romance to Flop, just because of how damn good she is at it. It isn't cheesy, or eyeroll-inducing, or in your face. It's clever and blush-worthy and is the cherry on top of a super fun, well-written fic.

5.) Pompeii by @OLIVINE ARC

"She looked to the left and saw the way the rain would bear down with unrelenting force against her skin, her mind, stinging and harsh because she could think too much and with too much clarity. The lightning that struck hot white and the clouds the color of charcoal, the storm strong enough to wash the scent of salt away from the sea, the freezing numb of the arm that even crept into her shoulder by the end of it all.

She turned to the right and saw the way the sun near blinded her and left her to shrivel up on the spot like a weed, her mind clouded and smothered under a blanket of heat to the point where she could barely manage a thought. The brown of the grass and the smoke that traveled thickly into the air, the smell of burning and the scorch of pain in the hand that clutched the red orb, invisible third degree burns."

This is a one-shot, but it packs just as much of a punch as a full-fledged fic. Olivine does a flawless job here, to be honest. Every sentence is poetic and striking and really feels like it means something. I can't help but admire all that's gone into making this fic as beautifully written and impactful as it is. I can tell you I'll be re-reading it for years to come.

That's all from me this evening! I plan on coming back and doing a round two for other fics that I love but didn't include for now. I suppose this is obvious, but I strongly suggest checking out one (ideally all) of these fics if they strike your fancy!

Rhema

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
She tries her best, but doesn't succeed. She gets what she wants but not what she needs.
Hi everybody, I'm back again with another round of features! These are the rest of my favorite fics that I didn't get a chance to write about the other day. If you're looking for a good written fic to start reading (especially now that comment corner is underway!), this list and the one above it are my best recommendations!

1.) Impulse by @Aurea

"They are everywhere.

Spread across the counter, stacked on the kitchen table, overflowing in the mailbox. They are slowly swallowing our little house, drowning us like rapid flood waters.

I want to burn the damn things.

But that would be rather stupid. That won't change the fact that they are overdue, after all. It won't change the fact that we're facing foreclosure. So a bonfire of unpaid bills is out of the question.

Instead of bank statements, I stand here and watch my mother go up in smoke."

Impulse is the first storylocke I ever read, and these opening sentences are what gripped me from the start. Aurea's writing is incredibly effortless, making Impulse an easy (in the best possible way) read that will make you laugh, cry, and just about everything in between. It's an oldie but goodie and y'all probably have heard of it by now, but I still wanted to include it because it remains my all-time favorite fic.

2.) The Scientist by @cyndakip

"Everyone at the Celadon City Science Lab is pretty careless, if you ask me.

You'd think that one of the world's largest research facilities could afford proper security in every area. I should advise them that protecting the top-secret departments and leaving some of the regular experiments unattended is a bad idea, but that would ruin all my opportunities. I've picked a quiet part of the building, but I still make sure to peek around corners and tread carefully. Overconfidence will just get me caught."

This is a classic, fairly straight-forward Kanto fic with the premise of a scientist's daughter getting thrown into the world of training in order to right the wrongs done to her and take down the evil team that plagues the region. Like Impulse, it's a delightfully effortless read that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

3.) C'est la Guerre by @original nickname

"You ever wake up with a screaming headache? I certainly have had that experience before, but usually attributed to having one too many pints the night previous. The throbbing pain in the side of my head was unbearable. How do Psyducks live like this constantly? Maybe I was dead, I mean, falling out of an exploding aircraft would do the trick. I decided to test this theory by opening my eyes. When I did, I wish I hadn't."

As original nickname puts it, "The world of pokemon wasn't as peaceful as we know it today. Decades ago, rising political tensions caused a war that enveloped the globe. This story focuses on the turning point of that war. It's not the beginning of the end, but the end of the beginning. " C'est la Guerre is a WW2-esque espionage thriller that puts a unique spin on the Kalos Pokemon journey. Action-packed and full of suspense, anyone who enjoys a thrilling read will enjoy this fic.

4.) Gracidea by @glancesherlock

"Petals whisper warnings through the wind, kicking pollen around that falls to the ground, wasted. Their efforts fall deaf on my ears as I foolishly peek over their yellow heads. The scent of sea salt and pinap mixes in the air with the nectar. And the sound of stems breaking. There’s a trail of trampled friends leading to a pair of a giant’s feet. A beaded triangle sways on her pack. It is another warning. Humans branded with them only venture out here for one thing. Her eyes fix themselves on me. They’re dark and excited and dangerous. The moment her large finger points in my direction I know it is my time."

Quite possibly the dreamiest fic I've ever read, Gracidea is beautifully written and narrated, by a sweet little Flabebe no less. Glance really captures the Pokemon's spirit through narration spectacularly here, making for an engaging and breathtaking fic that will make you feel all the damn feels.

5.) Carousel by @Garish Garchomp

"When the voice clears its throat, it freezes him in his tracks and ices over his mind. The sky erupts, waves of orchid melding with turquoise before the stars. The horizon expands before him, greedily swallowing the trees and spitting out a sea instead. The wind takes a left-turn, blowing straight in his face now. It's strong enough to wake him from his trance."

Speaking of dreamy fics, Gar really outdoes them-self with this short, enchanting Johto fic that captures the wonder and emotion that surges through Eusine as he experiences the legendary Pokemon, Suicune. I always come back to Carousel for an evocative, enjoyable read that manages to tug at my heartstrings every single time.

Zephyr_Iphis

cryptid
Artist
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 18, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
she/they
Pokémon Type
Flying, Steel
Pokédex Entry
It protects itself from the cold by wrapping up in blackets. It loves food and cooks constantly.
I was writing a comment for one of my new favorite runs that got out of hand, so I decided to turn it into a feature!

Solstice by @MouseWithADinosaurTail
Five years ago, the sun went out. Since then, pokemon have lived in despair, simply waiting for the world to flicker out and finally end. Only the Church of the Sun sees hope for the future. They have prophesized that when the night has stretched on for five years, a savior from another world will descend from the sky with a tail that glows of light, and with the help of a pokemon guide, they will bring forth the new sun.
Solstice is a storylocke of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity. There aren't many dugeonlockes on the forums, let alone written ones, so it's certainly an interesting departure from all the usual fair. But more than gameplay it's based on, what sets it apart is how fun and funny it is while still tugging on your heartstrings.

Despite the very dark setting and some heavy themes, Solstice is often very funny and lighthearted. But nor does it pull its punches or turn the characters into a joke. Instead, it swings easily and naturally between different moods and emotions, with not one sour note to be found. And at least for me that daring pays off in spades by making certain moments more effective for the contrast and never succumbing to any kind of emotional fatigue. It knows when to linger and when to fire back and forth like a tennis match. It’s a really difficult thing to do, but uniquely engaging when pulled off as well as it is here.

Another great strength of this story is all the little details. The way they bring the characters to life, ground the fantastic in something tangible, and frame the action playing out before us. There’s Elaine’s delightfully human perspective on the world and her carefully chosen comparisons and asides that tend to reveal more about who she is and what she’s been through than whatever she’s aiming to tell us in the moment. There’s the way Catrin’s raging and outsized anger is shown as coming from very real and deeply personal hurt and frustration, but how it’s also ultimately futile,self-destructive, and somewhat childish. I’ve seen a lot of stories fail at portraying characters and their emotions in a way that feels true are realistic while still respecting them.
It may be that sensitivity that allows for the careful balance in tone.

Last but not least, I really want to focus on the characters for a moment because they’re the beating heart of this story and they’re awesome. Even all the bit side characters like Mightyena and Quagsire have a lot of flavor to them and feel like fully realized personalities with their own histories and motivations that we just don’t know that much about. And of course both main characters are that much more fun and engaging from the development lavished on them. Their internal struggles feel at least as important as the towering external forces they are pitted against. These two types of conflict also bounce off each other to raise the stakes of both.

The very fist section is such a great set up for Catrin as a character is phenomenal.
If any pokemon ever tried to tell Catrin that the world in its current state was somehow salvageable, somehow well-intentioned, somehow not a complete affront to the gods above, he would sneer at them. No drunken fool could convince Catrin that this world was anything more than a cesspool, a still-watered pond choked with algae and garbage at the end of a muddy stream. It was a world that desperately needed hope, salvation, a sun to light the bleak, murky sky slowly suffocating it from above. But it hardly deserved even the smallest kindness. The world deserved to rot.
And really, that was all Catrin expected from that night. He expected the bandits would run off with his things, split the prize in Ragged Mountain up ahead, and go their separate ways all the richer. He expected a night of more pain, more suffering, more wishing for a dawn that wasn't coming and the cold, still death of this endless night. He expected to lose.
He’s bitter, angry, spiteful, pessimistic, and completely drained of hope, but will keep fighting anyway because he doesn’t know any other way. He can’t let go of his sense of injustice no matter how lawless and chaotic his world has become, or how much disdain he has for it. And that’s just our first impression of him. Right after Elaine appears, we get to see a whole other side of him that’s just as interesting, uncomfortable, and full of pathos despite it. Move over brooding antiheroes with a secret heart of gold. Give me my selfish, wrathful asshole who’s going to save a world he doesn’t think deserves it just to get back the life he feels was stolen from him.

He’s such a great character to pair with Elaine who’s selfless, brave, kind, patient, and forcefully optimistic even when part of her knows how bad things are. It makes for an often tense and engrossing dynamic. With Catrin to lead and protect her, Elaine has even more challenges to overcome than she would without him, albeit somewhat different ones. But she’s the kind of protagonist you can’t help but love and root for, sweet and fun and oh so determined to live up to all expectations.
Catrin slipped his head through the hood. His ears popped out of the slits like two digletts, and his eyes closed as he nestled himself into the hood. Without another word, he padded on.
"Is that like your blanket?" Elaine asked as she padded after him. When he didn't respond, she continued, "I used to have a blanket when I was little! Like a security blanket. It was pink and it had these brown polkadots. But um, I gave it to my little sister when she was born. I didn't want her to be scared of the dark!"
I hope you can make do."
"I'll be alright. I can be tough!" Elaine grinned wide, and Catrin gave a small smile in return, looking comforted.
I know amnesia is a PMD staple and people have done a lot of cool stuff with that, but I really enjoy the many glimpses into Elaine’s past and how it informs who she is now. And it’s really fun to have a human perspective on this alien world. Her narration is bursting with personality and no offhand detail feels wasted. Every little joke, memory and observation tells something about her and how she views the world. I love her to bits.

Whether you’re a fan of PMD, like pokemon-centric stories, or just want to read a really excellent and different nuzlocke, I beg you to give Solstice a read. It’s only just getting started and there’s already so much to dig into. Now’s the perfect time to pick it up!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)