• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Eight of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode bids adieu to another story and welcomes in a new one. Protagonists also star in our discussion segment!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
Thread Description
if your gf wants you in her life forever does that means she wants to marry you // updated August 8th

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Clever
Pokédex Entry
A regular writer of fanfics and other works, this pokemon loves puns, bugs, and the outdoors.
Oh my god, these chapters, I just can't--Naomi handling Hop and teaching him a lesson, Kenneth thirsting over the Gym Leaders and Naomi playfully noticing, that whole scene with the dress, and this????

The way she interacts with the kid warms Kenneth’s heart. One day, when they’re both ready for it, he wants to raise a family with her.
you can't just drop this on me my heart isn't READY

Thirteenth

Number XIV
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 20, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
Pokédex Entry
The reason she guides people all the way down to the mountain's base is that she wants them to hurry up and leave.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
mood.

mood.

I love the signs of experience of Naomi being a gym leader and recognizing faults in challengers that she doesn't just annihilate Hop like all of us do at the start of the game, but she gives him a shot and calls the match when she feels it's over. I also love Naomi shooting thoughts at Kenneth that he can untangle and figure out, shows a lot of growth from Agency to here which I love.
😭 Thank you for appreciating her and her growth. She felt different when I wrote her for this versus Agency, but in a way where she just felt like more Naomi? I have to imagine that that's just how it feels to write a character who's grown a lot.

Chapter 12 is just so eloquent, so full of passion and emotion and says so much, it's truly an epic that I don't know if I can ever match. Just, the sheer majesty of it... I'm envious. (Seriously tho everything is just so cute, I love them so much.)

10 though... like, I know how much Naomi didn't want to be shoehorned into gym leader life, but at the same time I love how she definitely has that kind of energy at times, and how she has those instincts not just as a battler but as a gym leader and someone who's bringing on challengers. Even though she has those internal debates as to how the handle the situation, she ends up doing so perfectly.
Thank you, I worked really hard on 12. 😭

I'm excited for a few future updates where her past as a gym leader really shines, especially one in particular. It makes me kinda sad though, I wish she wasn't so stubborn that she didn't keep the gym...

Oh my god, these chapters, I just can't--Naomi handling Hop and teaching him a lesson, Kenneth thirsting over the Gym Leaders and Naomi playfully noticing, that whole scene with the dress, and this????

you can't just drop this on me my heart isn't READY
They're just great ;w; 😍

I will drop all the sweet things on everything 🥰

One Agency spoiler/reminder for this one: Kyou (Naomi's starter, a Blastoise) never evolved with/because of Naomi but with/because of her sister Sabrina -- who she calls Bree, btw, idr if I mentioned that already.

Kenji’s evolution is bittersweet.

Naomi is excited—Sonia, even more so—but he can see the regret in her eyes. She doesn’t have to send him a thought about Kyou for him to know.

When they stop for lunch on Route 3, Naomi encourages Kenji and Kyou to play together, tossing branches and rocks for them to shoot down together with water. She laughs and praises them and showers them with affection.

It helps her.

When they lie down in their tent that night, just outside the mine, she curls up against his chest and quietly asks, “Is it weird that it still bothers me? Years later?”

He tucks a loose strand of hair behind her ear. “It’s not.”

She sighs.

The trees rustle. There’s a squeak every now and then in the distance, the uncommon Noibat or Hoothoot making itself known. He wishes the roof of their tent were clear so they could see the sky, even if it isn’t as starry as Pallet.

“I haven’t talked to Bree since we left Kanto…”

He runs his fingers up and down her arm. “Wanna talk to her tomorrow?”

“I guess I should… Should maybe actually call my parents too… You talked to Oak the other day, right?”

“Yeah.”

She tilts her head up, and her voice takes on some levity. “You really think he’s crushing on Magnolia?”

“Yes, and I’m gonna tease the hell out of him for it.”

She chuckles. “Okay, but I bet he’s not as much of a disaster as you.”

“Hey, I have to get it from somewhere. And if you’d heard the way he was talking about her…”

She buries her face in his neck and hums, and it tickles in the sweetest way. “Takes one to know one?”

His decision not to kiss her head is a very deliberate one. He can’t encourage her. So he wraps an arm around her and caresses the back of her neck instead. “I guess…”
It’s raining when they reach the end of the mine.

They decide to wait out the storm and set up camp in the cave. Most of their Pokémon stay within the mine, including all of Kenneth’s. But Naomi’s Chewtle, Kenji, Kyou, and her newly caught Rolycoly run around outside. She’s especially vigilant of the latter, keeping a careful eye on just how much steam rises from his body with each drop of rain. She tries not to hover.

“It’s perfectly natural,” Sonia tuts, twirling her hair with one hand and typing on her tablet with the other. It’s mesmerizing. “I wonder how she’ll fret when it evolves.”

He finds her “fretting” endearing.

He and Sonia spend a few hours getting work done, poring over Professor Magnolia’s research and their own observations from their time in the Wild Area and even Motostoke Stadium. They try to draw connections between dynamaxing and wishing stars and the “Darkest Day” of legend that Sonia has told him about, but they find themselves grasping at straws.

It’s intriguing, though. A puzzle with some missing pieces. But once they have the rest of it, they can fill in the blanks. He could spend days pondering over what fits where.

But Sonia slumps back against James, curled around them like a warm, scaly backrest, and calls it a day. “Honestly, this gets exhausting…”

He scrolls through all the notes he’s put together, searching for key information they might have missed. There are plenty of things they haven’t annotated. “I think we can figure it out.”

“Well, maybe you can.”

She sounds bitter.

He looks at her carefully, and at a loss. He wasn’t trying to sound dismissive. He doesn’t think he sounded dismissive. And they’ve gotten along well—up until now, perhaps.

But she notices him watching, and she winces. “Gran’s convinced you’ll make much more progress with this than I will. And,” she sighs, “I suppose I can’t blame her, you’re brilliant.”

He freezes, unsure of what to do with a compliment like that from someone like her.

She taps her nails against her tablet. “You’ve studied these things, correct? Ecology, biology, evolution, genetics…”

“Uh. Y-yeah, but it’s… It’s not like I have a doctorate like you do…”

She smiles wanly and says, more to herself than to him, “What’s a doctorate worth when you haven’t accomplished much.”

She reminds him of Naomi.

She takes a deep breath. “Sorry! Gran has just… She gets pushy sometimes. Though I would love to hear more about some of your projects, from you. I suspect Gran exaggerates a touch as some form of encouragement.”

“A-ah. Sorry…”

“Oh. No, sorry, I—” She laughs nervously.

Somehow, he hadn’t considered that Sonia, for all her intelligence and beauty and casual confidence, could feel nervous about anything.

“I’m not trying to blame you.” She clears her throat, sets her tablet aside, and turns toward him.

The space they have feels smaller. James surrounds them, his tail a small source of warmth among all their books and papers. It’s cluttered and tight and she sits so casually it makes him nervous, like she thinks they’re better friends than they are.

He’s never been a good conversationalist.

“Okay. How about…” she continues. ”Do you have any legends back in Kanto like the ones we have about our hero?”

He holds onto his tablet, anxious to sink back into his work instead, whether she joins him or not. “Doomsday ones? It depends on what part of Kanto you’re in…”

“Are there any specific to where you grew up?”

“Uh, well…”

He tells her. And he’s surprised by how easy she is to talk to. When he finds himself at the end of his words, she prompts him with questions, observations, and comparisons. She fills in when he has little else to say, but she doesn’t take over the conversation and leave him listening.

It’s the most he’s ever enjoyed talking to a relative stranger.
Professor Magnolia calls Sonia shortly after the rain stops. She runs ahead on Route 4 to answer, and Naomi sidles up to him with a mischievous smile.

He squints at her.

She says nothing.

“What?” he sighs.

“So did you enjoy your date?”

His ears burn, just a little.

She laughs as he walks away.

Last edited:

localhoney

~either i'm careless or i wanna get caught~
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 17, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Localhoney, the Sweet Toxin Pokemon. It's said that the sounds it emits can paralyze even a Gigantamax Grimmsnarl.
When they stop for lunch on Route 3, Naomi encourages Kenji and Kyou to play together, tossing branches and rocks for them to shoot down together with water. She laughs and praises them and showers them with affection.
Kyou and Emi playing with falling leaves was one of my favorite things to read in Agency, so I was crying at this little paragraph.
Sonia is pretty fine.

Loved these three installments and I loved Kenneth's date, I can't wait to see more of Sonia and him cracking the Darkest Day legend and all that or however their relative strangership develops.

Aurea

🎇Contributor
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Grass, Steel
When they lie down in their tent that night, just outside the mine, she curls up against his chest and quietly asks, “Is it weird that it still bothers me? Years later?”

He tucks a loose strand of hair behind her ear. “It’s not.”
;;;;;;;;;;; I love that you made this connecting between the two. It absolutely makes sense that it still eats at her, and I love how steady and constant Kenneth is in reassuring her.

He tells her. And he’s surprised by how easy she is to talk to. When he finds himself at the end of his words, she prompts him with questions, observations, and comparisons. She fills in when he has little else to say, but she doesn’t take over the conversation and leave him listening.

It’s the most he’s ever enjoyed talking to a relative stranger.
Okay but seriously, I really really loved Kenneth and Sonia talking -- him learning that she has insecurities too, and both of them being able to open up a bit more. I love the idea of them being friends, they've got so much in common ;w;

Naomi is still a shit and I love her beyond words for it.

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Clever
Pokédex Entry
A regular writer of fanfics and other works, this pokemon loves puns, bugs, and the outdoors.
It’s raining when they reach the end of the mine.

They decide to wait out the storm and set up camp in the cave. Most of their Pokémon stay within the mine, including all of Kenneth’s. But Naomi’s Chewtle, Kenji, Kyou, and her newly caught Rolycoly run around outside. She’s especially vigilant of the latter, keeping a careful eye on just how much steam rises from his body with each drop of rain. She tries not to hover.
This is both an incredibly cute scene and really fitting for Naomi. Given her experiences in Agency, I can totally see her as a fretter... it's got to be really, really rough on her, but she'll pull through. Imagining all those pokemon playing in the rain is really cute as well, and the Rolycoly is an interesting touch! Normally we'd expect Fire-types to stay away from the water, but this little one is just diving on in... what a pure little bean. Such personality!

That entire conversation with Sonia was perfection, you completely nailed the sense of doubt that's so essential for the character, I feel for this poor girl, floundering in her grandma's shadow... I really do 😭

And then there's this

“What?” he sighs.

She laughs as he walks away.
Naomi is so mean sometimes, I love her xD

Thirteenth

Number XIV
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 20, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
Pokédex Entry
The reason she guides people all the way down to the mountain's base is that she wants them to hurry up and leave.
Kyou and Emi playing with falling leaves was one of my favorite things to read in Agency, so I was crying at this little paragraph.

Sonia is pretty fine.

Loved these three installments and I loved Kenneth's date, I can't wait to see more of Sonia and him cracking the Darkest Day legend and all that or however their relative strangership develops.
😭 Her Pokemon are sweet...

She is! She absolutely is. And if you wanted to see more of her (and Kenneth) then this update is for you~ Making more awkward connections.
;;;;;;;;;;; I love that you made this connecting between the two. It absolutely makes sense that it still eats at her, and I love how steady and constant Kenneth is in reassuring her.

Okay but seriously, I really really loved Kenneth and Sonia talking -- him learning that she has insecurities too, and both of them being able to open up a bit more. I love the idea of them being friends, they've got so much in common ;w;

Naomi is still a shit and I love her beyond words for it.
;;;; I feel like she'll never not feel bad about it... Good thing Kenneth will always be there for her.

They do have a lot in common! I don't think I expected them to/realized they would when I started writing this, but they fell together so well. If there's one thing I appreciate about past me writing this, it's how gradually but naturally their friendship develops and how it really starts with them having similar insecurities.

She is. :D
This is both an incredibly cute scene and really fitting for Naomi. Given her experiences in Agency, I can totally see her as a fretter... it's got to be really, really rough on her, but she'll pull through. Imagining all those pokemon playing in the rain is really cute as well, and the Rolycoly is an interesting touch! Normally we'd expect Fire-types to stay away from the water, but this little one is just diving on in... what a pure little bean. Such personality!

That entire conversation with Sonia was perfection, you completely nailed the sense of doubt that's so essential for the character, I feel for this poor girl, floundering in her grandma's shadow... I really do 😭

And then there's this

Naomi is so mean sometimes, I love her xD
"I can totally see her as a fretter" Right?? She'll do just fine, though. She's definitely in a much better place now than she was in Agency, though clearly that's all stuck with her.

Idr if I had to run around to find a Rolycoly with Steam Engine or not, but I absolutely would have if I only found Heatproof ones at first.

On the conversation with Sonia, thank you!! Like I said to Aurea, Sonia and Kenneth ended up with similar insecurities, and it made it easier for me to have them connect, especially when I'm jumping around with all these snippets and drabbles. It was a fun way to not only to start developing their friendship but also to develop Sonia a bit.

Naomi is a precious bean, I don't know what you're talking about. 😇
I almost forgot it was update day lol

Naomi loves tea, btw. That's not actually important but I thought I should say that.

“Kenneth, what the fuck is that?”

“That’s, uh… That’s a Meowth.”

“No! No, that is not a Meowth!”

It is, unfortunately. He’s seen enough pictures to confirm what that is, though not enough to prepare him for seeing it in person.

Its beard is… a lot flabbier than he expected it to be.

“Oh, right,” Sonia says. “Meowth look different in Kanto, don’t they.”

Naomi turns a horrified face to her. “Yeah, they look normal!”

She catches it with immense reluctance. She returns to him, Poké Ball in hand, with a near-comical frown. “You know,” she starts, and finishes her sentence mentally. If she didn’t have her telepathy under control, this alleged Meowth definitely wouldn’t feel welcome.

He chucks her under her chin, tempted to lift her face and kiss her frown away. “So, I’m guessing you’re not bringing this one back to Kanto.”

“Hell no!”

He laughs.
“So there’s another Pokémon I need you to catch.”

She pouts. Honest to gods pouts, and his heart melts a little.

“I think you’ll like this one,” he whispers and kisses her.

“Why…?”

“Well, it’s a fairy type. It’s called Milcery. Looks like coffee cream.”

“Oh, that’s why you want it.”

His smile widens. “No, actually. Other way around. It evolves into a Pokémon called Alcremie. Also a fairy type. Looks kinda like whipped cream, I guess.”

She furrows her brow, not seeing where the other way around comes into play. “Okay…”

“Alcremie has several different forms depending on when and how it evolves.”

She nods. “Okay, I know you’re building up to some point, but—”

He covers her mouth and resists the urge to recoil when she licks his fingers. He still makes a face. She just keeps frowning. “Let me finish,” he says.

Her frown deepens. She sticks the Meowth’s Poké Ball in his other hand.

“So, the main forms,” he continues, wiping his hand on the sleeve of her jacket, “are named after different flavors, for the most part. The ruby and rainbow forms, maybe not so much. But there’s vanilla, mint, lemon, salted, caramel, and…”

He waits.

She raises an eyebrow. “And? You’re making me want ice cream.”

He grins. “What’s your favorite ice cream flavor? Favorite flavor in general.”

Realization flashes across her face, but she’s slow to voice it. “Are… Is there a… matcha Alcremie?”

He nods.

She catches one in what must be record time, and she names her Rina.
Kenneth and Sonia don’t know what to make of the 3,000-year-old geoglyph at Turffield. It’s related to dynamaxing and the Darkest Day, that much seems clear. But it offers them no new information.

The two of them spend a few hours wandering Turffield in search of clues, inspecting stone monuments and studying informational plaques strewn across the town. They wind up at the geoglyph again with nothing to show for it.

Sonia huffs as she drops onto a bench. “Gran expects too much of me, honestly,” she sighs.

“You’re more than capable of putting this together,” he says quietly, afraid he might be overstepping and feeling nervous about giving her even the mildest compliment.

She doesn’t immediately respond.

He stares intently at the geoglyph, worried that he’s irritated her.

She shifts and says, “Well, thank you.”

She adds nothing else, and he doesn’t know what else to say. He sits with her silently and awkwardly, wishing he weren’t so socially inept—wishing Naomi had stayed with them instead of grabbing a last-minute ticket to watch Hop’s gym battle. She’d come up with something to say.

He almost flinches when Sonia says, “I was wondering… If you don’t mind me asking.” She keeps her eyes on the geoglyph, but he has a feeling her question is unrelated. “Did your grandfather ever… encourage your research a little too much?”

Or better put, did his grandfather ever push it onto him? He wishes he could say yes, to give her the connection she seeks, but he takes too long trying to figure out how to explain it.

She laughs, “I guess not.”

“I— No, but… Um.” He scratches his nose. It’s a nervous habit he doesn’t catch, one that’s more effective when he’s not wearing contacts and he can nudge his glasses up instead. “I always pushed myself a little too hard.” But that makes him sound like just the kind of overachiever Professor Magnolia seems to want Sonia to be. “For— I mean—” He sighs. He doesn’t want to get into parental issues, and doesn’t plan to. “I was always trying to… live up to ridiculous expectations. Not from Gramps, though.”

“I see.”

Her tone says he doesn’t have to continue if he doesn’t want to. He’s thankful. “I’m sorry if that’s what she’s doing…”

She shrugs and twirls her hair. “I’m used to it.”

“Doesn’t mean it’s a good thing…”

She doesn’t say anything, and she keeps her eyes on the hills.

“F-for what it’s worth,” he says, looking away from her because there’s no chance he could say this otherwise, “you’re an incredibly intelligent woman. I can tell that just from talking to you and from reading some of your papers. All the work you’ve done until now counts as-as multiple accomplishments. So…”

It feels like a long, embarrassing time before she says anything, and even then, it’s only a low, “Thank you…”

Garish Garchomp

Friendly Neighborhood Landshark
Administrator
🌱Featurer
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 12, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
he's ok i guess
Naomi loves tea, btw. That's not actually important but I thought I should say that.
Excuse you, but this is one of the most important things, and I think Naomi would agree with me. She is an anxiety child, a little shit, and a tea lover, not necessarily in that order, and through that, all things are possible. 🍵🍵🍵

Love the Meowth shade lmao. Captures the visceral reaction of so many so well.
If she didn’t have her telepathy under control, this alleged Meowth definitely wouldn’t feel welcome.
Fuck it. You have psychic powers, use them.

The turnaround from that to the Alcremie too lmao, perfect.

“You’re more than capable of putting this together,” he says quietly, afraid he might be overstepping and feeling nervous about giving her even the mildest compliment.

She doesn’t immediately respond.

He stares intently at the geoglyph, worried that he’s irritated her.

She shifts and says, “Well, thank you.”
This part kills me, it's just so good. Idk, it characterizes them both so precisely in such seemingly small ways, it's honestly just the kind of thing you're super good at and these moments never fail to get me.

God but the rest of the chapter... I just love my blushy awkward son so much pls don't make him sad ever again 😭😭😭😭😭

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Okay, I wanna talk about the last chapter and how great that moment between Kenneth and Sonia is (the two of them complement each other super well!) but instead I'm gonna call you out on using the prior chapters to promote Galar pokemon you like and dislike. Alcremie is fine, but I won't stand anti-Viking Mewoth slander in this house >:(

Thirteenth

Number XIV
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 20, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
Pokédex Entry
Excuse you, but this is one of the most important things, and I think Naomi would agree with me. She is an anxiety child, a little shit, and a tea lover, not necessarily in that order, and through that, all things are possible. 🍵🍵🍵

Love the Meowth shade lmao. Captures the visceral reaction of so many so well.

Fuck it. You have psychic powers, use them.

The turnaround from that to the Alcremie too lmao, perfect.

This part kills me, it's just so good. Idk, it characterizes them both so precisely in such seemingly small ways, it's honestly just the kind of thing you're super good at and these moments never fail to get me.

God but the rest of the chapter... I just love my blushy awkward son so much pls don't make him sad ever again 😭😭😭😭😭
Okay yes, she would absolutely agree with you that that's one of the most important things, so I'll give you that.

Listen I'm still upset about Galarian Meowth. It's been over half a year. It does allow for a fun shift in tone when she learns about Alcremie though, so I guess it was good for something.

Kenneth and Sonia are so good!! I'm really glad the small things get across the major and important things about them as individuals.

no promises about not making him sad

Okay, I wanna talk about the last chapter and how great that moment between Kenneth and Sonia is (the two of them complement each other super well!) but instead I'm gonna call you out on using the prior chapters to promote Galar pokemon you like and dislike. Alcremie is fine, but I won't stand anti-Viking Mewoth slander in this house >:(
excuse Galarian Meowth is a blight on this world, its beard is flesh

Small reminder from Agency: Kenneth is friends with Bill from Cerulean Cape. The PC system Bill. That Bill. Bill is also a gift.

Kenneth decides he doesn’t like Chairman Rose.

For one, he’s too talkative. All he’s done is go on and on about his exploits—or, better put, the exploits of all the companies he owns.

Second, he’s pushy. Sonia wanted to treat Kenneth and Naomi to the best seafood in Hulbury for lunch, but the moment Rose spotted her, he insisted they sit with him to eat. Oleana, the woman who hovered beside him during the opening ceremony, fixed them with an eerie stare until they agreed to join him.

Third, his incognito outfit is absolutely horrendous.

And fourth, something about him just feels off. It reminds him of Giovanni.

“Oh, but—forgive me, I never asked!” Rose says as their expedited meals arrive. “What brings you two to Galar, and how do you know Sonia?”

Rose didn’t even ask for more than their names when they sat at his table.

“We’re just helping her with some research,” Naomi answers, brightly and simply. She must not like him either.

“Oh? Fellow dynamax researchers? I’d love to hear about any discoveries you make.”

She hesitates as she reaches for her tea. “Oh. Um—”

“They’re not quite dynamax researchers,” Sonia interrupts. “Kenneth is more interested in ecology and evolution.”

“I see,” Rose says. He folds his hands under his chin and fixes Naomi with a look that Kenneth doesn’t like. “And what is your area of expertise, Naomi?”

She blinks at him. “I’m just here to catch Pokémon.”

Rose sits back victoriously, looking smug despite the sunglasses on his face. “Ah, a trainer, then! I had a feeling, you have that look to you. I was a fairly decent trainer back in my day. One more win and I would’ve become champion. Though I’m sure Leon would’ve handed my arse to me,” he laughs. “I trust there’s a League where you’re from? Let me guess, Kanto or Johto? How far did you make it?”

“Eight badges. You know, I’m glad to know the League here is headed by someone who knows how to battle,” she says, turning the conversation back to him. “You didn’t make it that far again?”

“Ah, no, never tried again. I realized my energy would be better spent elsewhere,” he says, and starts on another ramble about his many companies.

The only time he says anything worth paying attention to is after Oleana reminds him of a meeting, the only words she speaks all lunch.

“You should visit the vault in Hammerlocke!” he says as he pays for the meal. He doesn’t even accept the check from the waitress. He simply gives her his card. “There should be some historical objects there that will be helpful.”

He takes his leave as soon as the waitress returns with his card and receipt.

And Kenneth, Naomi, and Sonia bask in the sweet silence that is the lack of his voice.

Sonia is the first to break it, huffing and slumping in her chair. “I am so sorry about that…”

“It’s not your fault,” he says.

Naomi fiddles with the end of her napkin. “He really loves the sound of his own voice, huh.”

Sonia twirls her hair and sighs, “Well, you know those corporate types. Swear they’re doing everyone a favor. As if I wasn’t already planning on going to the vault…” She pulls her phone out. “But I’ll make it up to you.”

She doesn’t let them know how until they’ve left the restaurant. Her phone rings, and she looks up from it with a wide smile. “How would you two like to meet the greatest gym leader in all of Galar?”
Nessa is so, so much prettier in person, and the only reason Kenneth doesn’t immediately make a fool of himself is because he keeps his mouth shut.

She leads them through a market by the water and tells them about Hulbury, but he’s so entranced by her that he only hears every other word she says. Her hair is tied up casually, the dress she wears is simple, but everything about her—from the way she walks to the lilt of her voice to her friendly glances—is mesmerizing.

It’s a mistake to accept her offer of a few drinks, but he does it anyway. The four of them wind up at a picnic table with a little too much alcohol in them. And it’s nice.

She laughs sweetly when he tells her how beautiful she is. He could look at her forever.

“Oh, don’t mind him,” Naomi says, pushing his cheek and turning him away from Nessa. “He gets flirty when he’s drunk.”

“I’m not drunk,” he says, nuzzling her cheek to prove his point. “Just… tipsy.”

“Very tipsy?”

”M’yeah.”

“Well he’s a sweet very-tipsy,” Nessa says, and his heart flutters. “Raihan— Well, Raihan would just agree with you.”

“Raihan?” he asks.

“My boyfriend. Hammerlocke’s gym leader.”

He centers his glass between them very seriously. “I hope he treats you well.”

She laughs, sweet as his drink. “He does, thank you.”

“We’ll be seeing him soon,” Sonia says, twirling her hair as enticingly as Nessa looks. “I think we’re headed there next.”

“Oh, can we go back to Motostoke first?” Naomi asks, almost pouting, and he nuzzles her cheek again to wipe that look away. He likes it better when she smiles, as cute and kissable as she is with her lips puffed out like that. She only acknowledges him by putting an arm around his waist, but that’s nice too. “I was hoping to catch Hop’s gym battle. He’s kinda grown on me…”

“Leon’s kid?” Nessa asks. “He’s not too bad. Better than most challengers, but, admittedly, I’m not sure he’s at his brother’s level…”

Sonia spins her glass. “Well, I’m not on any timetable. We can head back if you like.” She grins—at him. Wide. Devious. Attractive. “Then maybe cut through the Wild Area to Hammerlocke and hit up a few more dens?”

He scowls. “You’re evil…”

She laughs.

Naomi bops the side of his head and laughs too. They all have such nice laughs. “That’s what you’re supposed to be helping her with! Oh! Nessa!”

“Yes, miss?” she says playfully, before tossing back what’s left of her drink.

“So, I’m not taking part in the challenge ‘cause like, I don’t wanna be champion. But! I would love to actually battle in one of these stadiums? So I was wondering—”

Nessa slams her hand on the table. “Done!”

Naomi smiles so widely he can’t help but kiss her cheek.

“A battle with a former gym leader?” Nessa scoffs. “It would be an honor to have you on my pitch, Naomi.”
There isn’t a winner.

Nessa allows Naomi to use Ren and Shirou, since anyone might think her Butterfree and Lapras are native to Galar. It’s a two-on-two battle, and it comes down to Shirou and Nessa’s Toxapex before they have to call it for the next official challenger.

From beside Naomi, within a stadium, and with well-trained Pokémon, Kenneth has to admit that dynamax battles aren’t so terrifying after all.

Naomi meets Nessa at the center of the field looking more excited than he’s seen her in a long time. He feels proud of her, for too many reasons to pinpoint.

“I would’ve loved to have you as a proper challenger,” Nessa says, handing over a holographic card. “In place of a badge.”

Naomi beams. “Thank you. I’m sorry, I wish I had something to give you too, you would’ve earned my badge with a battle like that.”

Nessa purses her lips in thought. “Do you have an Instagram?”

“Uh, just an aesthetic one.” Pictures of tea and her Pokémon. It’s very much her. “I’m not super active… Why?”

“You could follow me and Raihan? He’d never forgive me if I didn’t ask you to follow us,” she adds, almost looking annoyed.

“Oh,” Naomi laughs. She hands over her phone. “Sure.”

Nessa looks at him, seeming bashful, and he almost agrees before she asks whatever she’s going to ask. “If you have one too, I’d appreciate it as well.”

He can’t tell how deliberate her word choice is, but she said she would appreciate it. Not Raihan.

“Uh— Yeah,” he says, fishing his phone out of his pocket.

For the rest of the day, he spends any free moment he can get, away from Naomi’s teasing eyes, scrolling through pictures of two of the most beautiful gym leaders he’s ever seen.

He likes Galar.
“I like Nessa.”

Naomi says the words softly, nudging away the quiet and coaxing him out of sleep. He opens an eye—the one that isn’t buried in his pillow—and finds her looking up at the ceiling, glowing with moonlight.

His head feels a little fuzzy. “I like her too,” he mutters.

She tilts her head toward him and says lightly, “You like her for different reasons.”

“No, I like her for additional reasons.” He grins. Squints. He thinks of finding her hand under the blankets, urging her to curl over him in the hopes that she’ll kiss him. “I like you for additional reasons, too.”

“Oh I know you do.”

Her tone shifts. She’s not upset—or at least, she isn’t mad or annoyed or upset in that sense. But her mood dips, and he feels guilty. “Sorry. Sorry, I— I’m tired…”

“No, you’re fine.” She blindly strokes his cheek with her thumb. It’s comforting. But he knows something isn’t right. “I… I’ve been thinking, lately… About trying.”

“Trying?” He has his guess.

She shrugs, the barest motion against the mattress and her pillow. He hears it more than he feels or sees it. “Sex…”

“Oh.” As expected. “I mean, you know I don’t really care…”

“No, I know. It’s just…”

He shifts, facing her properly on his side instead of lying on his stomach. She meets his eyes briefly, and casts her gaze back down. “Is this about Nessa, and Raihan?” he asks. “Was I— I mean, I can unfollow them and—”

“No,” she chuckles. “No, you can slobber after whoever you want, I don’t care about that.”

“I don’t slobber…”

Her grin catches the moonlight. “Okay, fine, you… You can stare longingly after whoever you want and then stammer like a fool if they acknowledge your presence. That doesn’t bother me.”

He ducks his head. “Well now you’re just hitting a little too close…”

“Weak-hearted,” she teases, her voice barely above a whisper. She caresses his cheek again. “I just… find myself wanting to want that. You know? And, I mean, the idea of it doesn’t bother me as much as it used to, but…”

He takes her hand. She doesn’t squeeze until he does. “I find myself wanting to not want it… So hopefully we don’t both get our wish, otherwise we’re back where we started.”

She smiles.

He kisses her fingers. “You know I don’t need that from you. And I don’t want it if you don’t.”

“I know.”

“Good. ‘Cause that’d make me a pretty awful boyfriend if you didn’t know.”

“Well, you’re a pretty amazing boyfriend.”

“And you’re a pretty amazing girlfriend.” He scoots closer and kisses her nose. “As long as you’re happy.”

She wraps her arms around him and tucks her face into his neck. She’s soft and warm, and he wants nothing more than to make her feel at peace. “You make me really happy,” she whispers. “Do I make you happy?”

He squeezes her. “So happy. Ecstatic. Euphoric, even.”

She giggles. “Me too.”

He caresses the back of her head, tugging lightly on her ponytail just to feel her hair glide through his fingers. “I just need you in my life, Naomi. Just like this. That’s all.”

“Well, you have me…” She lifts her head back onto her pillow and holds his neck, fingers brushing over his skin. “I told you back then all I wanted was to keep you.”

A few years ago, on One Island. A beach and a sunset and his heart in his throat, because he never dared to hope they could have anything approaching what he wanted with her. He presses his forehead to hers. “And you’ll have me for as long as you want.”

“Then, can I have you forever?” she whispers.

His heart swells. He kisses her and promises, “Forever.”
Me

Bill

So

If your girlfriend says she wants you in her life forever

Do you think that means she wants to marry you…?

Don't make fun of me

Fucker 🤓

Kenny, I love you but you're really fucking dumb sometimes

Me

I said don't make fun of me…

Fucker 🤓

she's your best friend and apparently she just told you she wants to be with you forever, why would she not want to marry you

Me

Idk…

Fucker 🤓

exactly

this is just your fear of rejection talking

now grow some balls, buy a ring, and ask her to marry you

Me

Fucker 🤓

Me

But I'm scared…

Fucker 🤓

so help me gods, if you don't ask her, I'll do it for you and you don't want that

Me

What if I do want that

Fucker 🤓

KENNETH.

Me

Okay, okay 😫 but I'm scared…

Fucker 🤓

you'll be fine

worst that happens is she teases you for wanting to marry her and then says yes

but you'll probably both cry like babies and then you'll have a fiance

fiancee

Me

Okay…

Do I have to ask her now? Idek how I wanna propose…

Fucker 🤓

no, take your time with that

just don't not ask her because you're scared, you know?

Me

Right… okay

Thanks

Fucker 🤓

np

Me

Stop

Fucker 🤓

Me

OKAY, stop

Fucker 🤓

ilu

Me

Shut up

Ilu2

I fucking love Bill. This will not be the last we see of him.

22 and 23 are without a doubt two of my favorite drabbles from this whole thing. 22 is also one that I posted on, I believe, asexuality day during Pride this year, so if you haven't guessed, yes, Naomi is asexual. She's also probably somewhere on the aromantic spectrum but that's a whole thing she'd rather not stress herself out about anymore lol.

I'm thinking I'll only be doing weekly updates on Saturdays from here on out? Let me know if that works for you guys or if there's something else you'd prefer. The whole thing is fully written and edited (though I find myself tweaking a few words or sentences as I go), so it doesn't make much difference to me. I just don't want to overwhelm you guys with too many updates too frequently. ^^'

localhoney

~either i'm careless or i wanna get caught~
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 17, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Localhoney, the Sweet Toxin Pokemon. It's said that the sounds it emits can paralyze even a Gigantamax Grimmsnarl.
wow imagine being drunk with three hot girls what a life kenneth leads

also big 👀 at nessa asking for his instagram, maybe kenneth was rounding out the Picnic Table of Attractive People after all.
She wraps her arms around him and tucks her face into his neck. She’s soft and warm, and he wants nothing more than to make her feel at peace. “You make me really happy,” she whispers. “Do I make you happy?”

this was so damn sweet it made my teeth rot thirteenth

awwwwwwwww

the Bill-Kenneth text thread was also very sweet I love their friendship and now I'm ridiculously excited that we've officially reached "Kenneth wants to propose" borders

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Kenneth decides he doesn’t like Chairman Rose.
YOU AND EVERYONE KENNETH

“I see,” Rose says. He folds his hands under his chin and fixes Naomi with a look that Kenneth doesn’t like. “And what is your area of expertise, Naomi?”

She blinks at him. “I’m just here to catch Pokémon.”

Rose sits back victoriously, looking smug despite the sunglasses on his face. “Ah, a trainer, then! I had a feeling, you have that look to you.
God, fuck off

You know, I’m glad to know the League here is headed by someone who knows how to battle,” she says, turning the conversation back to him. “You didn’t make it that far again?”
hehe, zing

It’s a mistake to accept her offer of a few drinks, but he does it anyway. The four of them wind up at a picnic table with a little too much alcohol in them. And it’s nice.
localhoney is right, kenneth has got to be the luckiest sod ever

She grins—at him. Wide. Devious. Attractive. “Then maybe cut through the Wild Area to Hammerlocke and hit up a few more dens?”

He scowls. “You’re evil…”

She laughs.
I love these interactions you write, they're so fun!

“Uh, just an aesthetic one.” Pictures of tea and her Pokémon. It’s very much her.
This is so ABSURDLY on brand for Naomi

“I… I’ve been thinking, lately… About trying.”

“Trying?” He has his guess.
This stuff just feels so real... Kenneth and Naomi feel like a real couple, I love it

She giggles. “Me too.”
My heart 😍

Also that entire Bill/Kenneth thing was great

Aurea

🎇Contributor
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Grass, Steel
She leads them through a market by the water and tells them about Hulbury, but he’s so entranced by her that he only hears every other word she says. Her hair is tied up casually, the dress she wears is simple, but everything about her—from the way she walks to the lilt of her voice to her friendly glances—is mesmerizing.

She laughs sweetly when he tells her how beautiful she is. He could look at her forever.

“Oh, don’t mind him,” Naomi says, pushing his cheek and turning him away from Nessa. “He gets flirty when he’s drunk.”
I don't think Kenneth could've dreamed up a better scenario if he tried. xD Also, tipsy Kenneth is my favorite, he's so sweet and cuuuuuuuute. ;w; And you gotta love Naomi teasing him about it.

“Oh, can we go back to Motostoke first?” Naomi asks, almost pouting, and he nuzzles her cheek again to wipe that look away. He likes it better when she smiles, as cute and kissable as she is with her lips puffed out like that. She only acknowledges him by putting an arm around his waist, but that’s nice too. “I was hoping to catch Hop’s gym battle. He’s kinda grown on me…”
CUUUUUUUUTE. And I love that Naomi has a soft spot for Hop, hehe. Me too girl, me too.

“Weak-hearted,” she teases, her voice barely above a whisper. She caresses his cheek again. “I just… find myself wanting to want that. You know? And, I mean, the idea of it doesn’t bother me as much as it used to, but…”

He takes her hand. She doesn’t squeeze until he does. “I find myself wanting to not want it… So hopefully we don’t both get our wish, otherwise we’re back where we started.”

She smiles.

He kisses her fingers. “You know I don’t need that from you. And I don’t want it if you don’t.”

“I know.”

“Good. ‘Cause that’d make me a pretty awful boyfriend if you didn’t know.”

“Well, you’re a pretty amazing boyfriend.”

“And you’re a pretty amazing girlfriend.” He scoots closer and kisses her nose. “As long as you’re happy.”
This is probably one of my favorites of any of your drabbles, too. ;; It was so soft and sweet and real, you're too good at writing tender moments, I had to stop myself short of just quoting the whole damn drabble. ;w;

A few years ago, on One Island. A beach and a sunset and his heart in his throat, because he never dared to hope they could have anything approaching what he wanted with her. He presses his forehead to hers. “And you’ll have me for as long as you want.”

MY HEART IS SWELLING TOO, KENNETH. 😭 This is the most wholesome content.

not Bill sending a Stanley Hudson meme in response sldkjf;aksdjfa I love him

Thirteenth

Number XIV
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 20, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
Pokédex Entry
wow imagine being drunk with three hot girls what a life kenneth leads

also big 👀 at nessa asking for his instagram, maybe kenneth was rounding out the Picnic Table of Attractive People after all.

this was so damn sweet it made my teeth rot thirteenth

awwwwwwwww

the Bill-Kenneth text thread was also very sweet I love their friendship and now I'm ridiculously excited that we've officially reached "Kenneth wants to propose" borders
Kenneth has it so good sometimes but he's too much of a mess to act on it. He's a cutie too though so like, he prob was rounding out that table.

Absolutely zero apologies for the tooth rotting. 🥰 Now get ready for a million parts of "fuck I really want to propose but not now but aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"

YOU AND EVERYONE KENNETH

God, fuck off

hehe, zing

localhoney is right, kenneth has got to be the luckiest sod ever

I love these interactions you write, they're so fun!

This is so ABSURDLY on brand for Naomi

This stuff just feels so real... Kenneth and Naomi feel like a real couple, I love it

My heart 😍

Also that entire Bill/Kenneth thing was great
Rose is icky and even though he barely does anything, he still felt pretty icky to write.

Kenneth is a sweet lucky boy okay! I love him...

And I love him and Naomi. I think so much about them and their interactions and how they would talk/work out personal things and I just 🥰🥰🥰 Super glad they feel real.

And as for Bill, thank you, it won't be the last time we see texts from him.

I don't think Kenneth could've dreamed up a better scenario if he tried. xD Also, tipsy Kenneth is my favorite, he's so sweet and cuuuuuuuute. ;w; And you gotta love Naomi teasing him about it.

CUUUUUUUUTE. And I love that Naomi has a soft spot for Hop, hehe. Me too girl, me too.

This is probably one of my favorites of any of your drabbles, too. ;; It was so soft and sweet and real, you're too good at writing tender moments, I had to stop myself short of just quoting the whole damn drabble. ;w;

MY HEART IS SWELLING TOO, KENNETH. 😭 This is the most wholesome content.

not Bill sending a Stanley Hudson meme in response sldkjf;aksdjfa I love him
If he dreamed up anything better, he'd wake up immediately, too good to be true.

There's just a lot of cuteness and tenderness here and I'm glad you enjoyed and appreciated all of it ;w; Would not have minded if you quoted basically the entirety of one of my favorite drabbles from this piece hehe

Bill is good, I can't wait for the next set of texts from him, even if they were a nightmare to move from Gdocs and format.

Agency reminders: Naomi has a shiny, aggressive Dugtrio named Aya who loves to fight anything that moves. She wears goggles because the sun is too bright, and while that's not necessary to know, I think it's a funny detail.

He feels like he’s fallen in love with her all over again.

He clings to her in the morning, keeping her in bed with cuddles she can’t resist. He peppers her cheek with so many kisses he loses count before breakfast.

She notices. She wraps herself in his arms and asks if he’s being extra affectionate because of what they talked about.

He kisses her cheek and squeezes her tight and tells her, “Not really,” because she means something different.

It’s strange to have to go back to keeping his feelings a secret from her. But he’s excited this time.
He decides the berry sweet for Rina may as well be a substitute for an engagement ring.

The sweet is about as difficult to track down (he imagines), but more importantly, he presents it to her like it’s an expression of all his hopes for them.

Her smile when Rina evolves that night is magical, and he’s glad he resists the impulse to propose to her then and there.

He wants to do something special. He just needs to figure out what.
They leave Motostoke the morning after Hop’s victory over Kabu. They decide to cut through the Wild Area after all—mostly so Naomi can evolve her Yamask in the dusty bowl, partly so Sonia can laugh at how nervous wild dynamax Pokémon make him.

He’s in the middle of assuring her he’ll be fine when Naomi’s Boltund stops in his tracks, eyes pointed south.

Naomi scratches him behind his ears. “What’s up?”

It takes a second for them to hear it. Pokémon attacks, commands—a battle with two boys at the helm, and one of them is Hop.

Kenneth only follows because Naomi does.

The kid Hop is battling doesn’t look familiar, but the way he holds himself tells Kenneth everything he needs to know about him. Smug face, arrogant posture, even the way he gives orders to his Pokémon— Kenneth knows the brat in the oversized pink parka is a bully before he even knows his name.

Hop’s Dubwool collapses on the dirt, but Hop urges him, painfully desperate, to stand.

The kid stuffs his hands in his pockets and scoffs. “How’d you even get three badges? Just ‘cause you’re the bloody champion’s kid?”

Hop doesn’t say anything.

“That it, then? This was more boring than I expected it to be.”

Kenneth knows he should do something. But he doesn’t know what, and Naomi acts faster than he does. She asks him and Sonia to wait where they are, at the crest of a hill and out of the boys’ view, before Boltund takes off like a shot, firing a Thunderbolt over their makeshift battlefield. Naomi chases after him and shouts, “Sorry, sorry!”

Sonia tilts her head. “Telepathy?”

“Yeah,” he says.

She hums and twirls her hair. “I might have to ask her how that works one of these days…”

Boltund stops right in front of the kid, barking happily and wagging his tail, all for the kid’s displeasure.

It buys Hop a chance to recall his Dubwool and wipe his face.

The kid sneers at Naomi and steps back. “Maybe keep your mutt on a leash.”

“Mutt?” She scratches Boltund behind his ears and coos, “No, he’s just a happy boy, aren’t you? I hope I wasn’t interrupting you.”

Her voice is sharp.

Hop leaves, head down and quick-footed. As far as Kenneth can tell, Hop doesn’t see him or Sonia on his way back north.

“Not anything important, no,” the kid answers. “Now could you get out of my face?”

“Actually, I caught the tail end of that battle. It’s what got this little guy excited,” Naomi lies, patting Boltund’s head. “I’m no gym challenger—obviously—but I’d love to take you on. Bet I could give you a run for your money.”

Kenneth can hear the friendly threat in her voice.

It’s attractive.

“Sure,” the kids scoffs.

“I’ve got some extra potions so your Pokémon can start fresh, too. Oh!” She holds out her hand. “My name’s Naomi. Yours?”

He stares at her carefully before taking her hand. “Bede.”

She toys with him like a cat.

Rina isn’t exactly speedy, but neither is Bede’s Solosis. She spins and dances around him, dodging every attack, firing Dazzling Gleams to stun rather than damage, and deliberately missing Energy Balls to force Solosis to move where she wants it.

Bede gets annoyed and switches into a Galarian Ponyta that catches Naomi off guard. But she sends Boltund in and repeats the process, playing for a few minutes instead of fighting.

Bede tries to act cool, but his commands grow sharp and irritated.

Boltund dodges a Psybeam and blasts through a second one with Thunderbolt before Naomi decides she’s had her fill. She stretches her arms overhead and sighs, “Alright, I’m bored.”

“Well maybe if you’d attack instead of treating this like a bloody game, this wouldn’t be such a waste of our time.”

She pulls out her phone and waves him off. “Please, I was giving you a chance. I can see why you’ve gotten three badges, but with how cocky you’ve been, I expected you to be better.” She shrugs and tosses a Poké Ball.

Kenneth almost gives himself away by laughing.

Naomi sends out Aya.

“Have fun!” she says as she scrolls through her phone. “Oh, but don’t draw blood! She does that… But you gym challengers sign waivers, right?”

Aya demolishes him without a single command.

It isn’t a fair fight in the slightest, but it’s still satisfying to watch Aya cut down all four of his Pokémon with one or two swipes of her claws. Even Aya looks bored, turning all three heads to Naomi at one point like she can’t believe she’s been sent out to battle this fool.

Bede seethes as he recalls his last Pokémon, finally losing his smug demeanor. “What the bloody fuck was that,” he hisses.

“What?” Naomi shrugs. “I wouldn’t have sent her out if you hadn’t bored me. I expected better. But thanks anyway!”

He stomps past her toward Motostoke, but not without loudly and clearly spitting, “Bitch.”

She waves happily as he leaves. “Good luck on your next gym battle!”
“You know you just curbstomped a high schooler, right?” he asks, tenderly brushing her hair out of her face.

“So? He was being a cunt, he’s old enough to get his ass kicked for that.”

He can’t wait to marry her.

It took me forfuckingever to get a berry sweet from a cafe to evolve Rina, my god. Iirc I finally got one after like a week, right before leaving for Hammerlocke. Just had to complain about that here because rereading this reminded me of my rage.

She is, of course, a matcha Alcremie, with blueberries. I wanted the clover sweet but lmfao.

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Don't mind me, I'm just here to see Local Douchebag™ get dunked on

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)