• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Seven of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode concludes one reading and premiers another. Also, we brought back several guests for an extra long discussion segment!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
Thread Description
if your gf wants you in her life forever does that means she wants to marry you // updated August 8th

Thirteenth

Number XIV
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 20, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
Pokédex Entry
The reason she guides people all the way down to the mountain's base is that she wants them to hurry up and leave.

“You told me years ago that all you wanted was to keep me. And that’s all I want, too.”

about
Featuring:
  • A bi disaster realizing just how in love he is with his best friend
  • Proposal anxiety
  • Fluff
  • Inner crises over a family that doesn't love you
  • Sonia being Sonia
  • Short updates and no hiatuses because I finished writing this 2.5 months ago
  • My current favorite thing I've ever written
  • Spoilers for Agency because this is an AU sequel (lol) to it, but you don't have to read Agency to follow this. There are callbacks to some things, though, so I'll be including any relevant information along with individual updates.
I based this on a non-Nuzlocke playthrough I did of Sword after I finished my blindlocke. I only used the new Pokemon for this.

I would like to thank/blame @Aurea, @Garish Garchomp, @glancesherlock, and a few other friends not on the forums for inspiring me to write this with their readership and/or their own Galar fics back in November. This might not exist if it weren't for you guys. ❤

table of contents

• Kenneth is Professor Oak's grandson.
  • Thanks to Oak's connections, Kenneth helped Giovanni, Fuji, and Blaine create Mewtwo in Cinnabar.
  • It wasn't a good time for him.
  • Mewtwo chills with him and Naomi now. The two basically adopted them.
  • Naomi is telepathic.
  • Mika is Naomi's Raticate.
  • James is Kenneth's Charizard.

“So, I wanted to ask you something,” Kenneth says, and he can’t figure out why he’s nervous.

It isn’t the way Naomi looks at him, eyebrows raised in curiosity and mouth pursed around half a stick of Pocky. Her attention certainly stirs something in his heart, there’s no denying that; one quiet, but present thought to kiss her and claim the rest of the treat that hangs off her lips. But that’s not why he’s nervous.

“Uh, so.” He fiddles with a loose thread on the couch. He might have to get new cushions for the patio furniture, but how soon he needs to would depend on her answer. ”Gramps… asked me the other day about a research opportunity with a colleague of his.”

She grunts as she finishes chewing. “This better not be another Mewtwo situation.” She glances aside hoping she didn’t summon them, despite the fact that Mewtwo should be off exploring Celadon as per usual. Instead, she draws Mika’s attention, temporarily pulled from whatever game their Pokémon are playing together.

He wonders briefly if they’d have to leave their Pokémon behind, and worries that it would be a deciding factor for her.

Naomi looks so serious and upset, still holding a small grudge over what happened in Cinnabar a few years ago, that it calms him somewhat. But he realizes—accepts why he’s afraid.

She’d stay by his side no matter what, but she might not say yes to this, and the idea that she’d turn him down bothers him more than anything.

She has a job that she likes. A city that she loves. But he can’t not ask her.

He swallows and shakes his head. “No, uh. A professor. In Galar…”

She says nothing, and her thoughts stay behind their wall.

He can’t bring himself to look at her, so he keeps his eyes ahead, where the flame of James’ tail sweeps over the grass. “It’d be for a few months. And I was hoping… I mean, I-I know with work and all that maybe…” He shrugs. “I was hoping you’d want to come with me.”

Pocky sticks rustle. “Why are you asking like you’re asking me out for the first time?”

She raises an eyebrow, and her smile goes from patient and gentle to shit-eating in one slow, enticing second.

“I—” He’s more familiar with these nerves. Despite the length of their relationship, they haven’t fully gone away. “I dunno, I thought leaving the region would be kind of a big deal.”

She shrugs and hums nonchalantly, chewing while she mulls things over. “Work is work. I can figure that out. I’d rather gallivant across a region with you any day.” Her lips turn down just so. “You didn’t know that?”

“I know you’d prefer that,” he says, twining their fingers together. “I just wasn’t sure how feasible it would be…”

She leans against his side, smelling like almond butter and home. “Well. You know I’d move mountains and go through hell and back and all that for you.”

He smiles and kisses the back of her hand. “Me too.”

Last edited:

glancesherlock

Consulting Detective
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Just wants to stay home and solve crimes.
AAAAAAAAHHHHH IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE

This opening is so sweet. Kenneth is just a nervous disaster from the start. I'm so excited to reread this!!

Aurea

🎇Contributor
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Grass, Steel
OTP OTP OTP

It's so good to see Kenneth and Naomi back on the forums proper. 😭 💘 I've really missed Agency, so I'm really excited you decided to post the sequel!

Pocky sticks rustle. “Why are you asking like you’re asking me out for the first time?”

She raises an eyebrow, and her smile goes from patient and gentle to shit-eating in one slow, enticing second.
“I—” He’s more familiar with these nerves. Despite the length of their relationship, they haven’t fully gone away. “I dunno, I thought leaving the region would be kind of a big deal.”
Kenneth you gigantic dork. xD It's very fitting to have one of Naomi's trademark shit-eating grins to kick this off, and the reminder that Kenneth still gets nervous butterflies around her. I love them so much...

Can't wait to reread this wholesome content and experience Galar through your writing. 💙

scrimshanks

Codename: Slif
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 23, 2020
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
Oh jeez this is so cute!! Aaaaa I love these two so much. This is such a great piece of writing, and says so much with so little.

She shrugs and hums nonchalantly, chewing while she mulls things over. “Work is work. I can figure that out. I’d rather gallivant across a region with you any day.” Her lips turn down just so. “You didn’t know that?”
I'm absolutely obsessed with this whole piece, but this bit in particular is just... GOD. I think it speaks so true to both Naomi and Kenneth's relationship AND relationships in general, where what seems like a huge leap to one person can seem like the easiest thing in the world to others. Naomi being so willing to just... go, without any second thoughts, is... *chef's kiss*.

Very much looking forward to more!

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Clever
Pokédex Entry
A regular writer of fanfics and other works, this pokemon loves puns, bugs, and the outdoors.
Oh I am here for this!

Super excited to see where the story progresses from here and waiting to see the inevitable proposal... god I love these characters so much, it's such a treat to see them again

Missy

i left my heart in alola
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Tough
Pokédex Entry
just missy now
*races you to see which of us can get our characters married first*

no but seriously, this looks really sweet! and based on how you described it i'm expecting a chill, lackadaisical romp through galar

also, i'm gonna need kenneth and sonia both, as grandchildren of professors, to reenact that spiderman pointing meme. "other folks, their nan would give them cookies, mine gave me field reports to fill out" "ugh, same, tell me about it"

Thirteenth

Number XIV
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 20, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
Pokédex Entry
The reason she guides people all the way down to the mountain's base is that she wants them to hurry up and leave.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
AAAAAAAAHHHHH IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE

This opening is so sweet. Kenneth is just a nervous disaster from the start. I'm so excited to reread this!!

The best way to (re)introduce him tbh. Thanks again for inspiring me, it means a lot that you're excited to reread ;w;

You have more ammo now and I don't appreciate this

OTP OTP OTP

It's so good to see Kenneth and Naomi back on the forums proper. 😭 💘 I've really missed Agency, so I'm really excited you decided to post the sequel!

Kenneth you gigantic dork. xD It's very fitting to have one of Naomi's trademark shit-eating grins to kick this off, and the reminder that Kenneth still gets nervous butterflies around her. I love them so much...

Can't wait to reread this wholesome content and experience Galar through your writing. 💙
Thank you 😭 You're like the main reason it's up here now so thank yourself too.

He's a fucking dweeb and she doesn't let him forget it and I love that about them...

Oh jeez this is so cute!! Aaaaa I love these two so much. This is such a great piece of writing, and says so much with so little.

I'm absolutely obsessed with this whole piece, but this bit in particular is just... GOD. I think it speaks so true to both Naomi and Kenneth's relationship AND relationships in general, where what seems like a huge leap to one person can seem like the easiest thing in the world to others. Naomi being so willing to just... go, without any second thoughts, is... *chef's kiss*.

Very much looking forward to more!
This whole thing unintentionally turned into an exercise in conciseness, and to know this first bit already says so much about how Naomi and Kenneth are with each other is. just the best.

Thank youuu ;w;

Oh I am here for this!

Super excited to see where the story progresses from here and waiting to see the inevitable proposal... god I love these characters so much, it's such a treat to see them again
:D Yay, I'm glad you are! Thanks for checking this out 💜

*races you to see which of us can get our characters married first*

no but seriously, this looks really sweet! and based on how you described it i'm expecting a chill, lackadaisical romp through galar

also, i'm gonna need kenneth and sonia both, as grandchildren of professors, to reenact that spiderman pointing meme. "other folks, their nan would give them cookies, mine gave me field reports to fill out" "ugh, same, tell me about it"
I was gonna say I already had you beat because I finished writing this a while ago, but then this is just the engagement... Hm, wedding sequel-sequel? 🤔

It's mostly gonna be chill. Mostly. :)

There will absolutely be bonding between the two, their backgrounds are too similar for there not to be.

Today's Agency reminder/spoiler, for just a little bit of context and to break up what would otherwise be a wall of five spoiler boxes: Naomi used to run the Saffron City gym, having taken it over from her older sister Sabrina.

When he meets Sonia, he decides that he needs to plot against his grandfather once and for all.

Per Professor Magnolia, he and Sonia will be collaborating on research, and when Sonia looks like that, he knows his grandfather is sitting at home laughing to himself over a cup of coffee.

The worst part is, Naomi is standing behind him, and he knows she’s doing the exact same thing in spirit.

He shakes Sonia’s hand nervously. Soft skin, sharp nails. He can’t even introduce himself without stammering.

He doesn’t face Naomi, but when she hooks a finger around his, he feels that it’s a gesture of comfort.

Sometimes she’s kind.

“Oh, Gran and I were thinking,” Sonia says, pulling a Poké Ball out of her purse. “Naomi, since you were planning on catching some Pokémon for Kenneth to study, we wanted to give you a starter!” Her smile is bright and sweet and not directed at him, but his heart flutters all the same. “Consider it a welcome gift.”

The Pokémon within is a Sobble, round and blue and not as skittish as most Sobble are, according to what he’s read. He wonders if telepathy is at play, but if so, Naomi doesn’t let him in on it.

The Sobble does lose his composure later, however, when Sonia’s Yamper causes several piles of books to rain down from the second floor. The Sobble scrambles to hide behind Naomi, but he calms when she holds him to her chest.

It would have been a sweet moment if she hadn’t looked at him deviously. “Aw, Kenneth,” she says, and he frowns, daring her to continue. She snickers in the face of his preemptive indignance. “He’s just like you when you saw Sonia.”

She holds his gaze, biting her lips to keep from bursting out laughing.

He’d be lying if he says he isn’t fighting down a smile himself. “I’m buying you a ticket back to Kanto.”

She strokes the fin on her Sobble’s head. “You know what? I think I’m gonna name him Kenji. Maybe call him Kenny to be cute.”

He stares at her.

She dissolves into giggles.
He’s glad the champion dresses ridiculously. A face that good would be dangerous in a half-decent outfit.

It also helps that Leon and Naomi get along right away, quickly getting into an in-depth discussion about battle strategies like the rest of them aren’t even there. Leon occasionally pulls Professor Magnolia in for her opinion on something or other, and Naomi interjects once to ask her about the tea, but beyond that, their dialogue in the kitchenette is all that fills the lab.

Maybe he looks bothered by it, because Sonia approaches him looking annoyed with Leon. “He’s something, isn’t he.”

She’s twirling her hair again. He could probably watch her do that forever.

He realizes a beat too late that he should say something. “Uh. W-what do you mean?”

She sighs. “Battling this, and champion that, it’s all he ever talks about.”

The way she looks toward Leon, the tone she takes—he gets the sense there’s history between them.

She glances at Kenneth, and must realize she’s said enough for him to piece together what they are. She shrugs. “He and I used to be rivals.” It’s a funny way of trying not to say they used to date.

“Oh. You took part in the gym challenge?”

“Yes. But that was a long time ago.”

He knows better than to ask.

I love Kenneth. I really really do, sweet boy.

Oh yeah, I'm pulling an Agency and posting multiple drabbles at once if they're related and/or a little too short on their own.

I'm thinking I'll post every Wednesday and Saturday, unless there's ever a chunkier update. Let me know if that works or if you guys would prefer meatier updates once or twice a week!

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Clever
Pokédex Entry
A regular writer of fanfics and other works, this pokemon loves puns, bugs, and the outdoors.
Oh my god, Naomi is ruthless, like jeez. She has no chill! But good to know that she's a good sport about Kenneth being a total disaster bi

glancesherlock

Consulting Detective
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Just wants to stay home and solve crimes.
The updated sad duel, I'm dead! 🤣

I forgot she all but names the Sobble after him. Girl is savage, and I love her.

He’s glad the champion dresses ridiculously. A face that good would be dangerous in a half-decent outfit.
*stares into the camera and sweats*

Kenneth is such an avatar for all the Galar thirst, bless him.

That update schedule works for me with these bite-sized chapters. They're potato chips, really. You could give me a whole bag, and I'd down them in an afternoon.

Thirteenth

Number XIV
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 20, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
Pokédex Entry
Oh my god, Naomi is ruthless, like jeez. She has no chill! But good to know that she's a good sport about Kenneth being a total disaster bi
If anyone is going to tease him about anything, it's gonna be her. She has zero chill and I love her for it.

The updated sad duel, I'm dead! 🤣

I forgot she all but names the Sobble after him. Girl is savage, and I love her.
*stares into the camera and sweats*

Kenneth is such an avatar for all the Galar thirst, bless him.

That update schedule works for me with these bite-sized chapters. They're potato chips, really. You could give me a whole bag, and I'd down them in an afternoon.
I love her too...... And she and I both Kenneth for just being a thirsty, weak-hearted boy too.

Where's Lav so she and Kenneth can talk about how good Leon looks despite his horrible fashion choices.

And okay! I'll wait and see how other people feel about it before fully deciding, but sticking to it for now.

Quick tiny Agency spoiler/reminder: Naomi has a Ninetales named Emi. She's an attention whore and also my favorite of her team.

Hop reminds him of the girls he used to babysit in Pallet. Bright-eyed, energetic, eager and in over his head, but in an endearing way. He shows up at the lab a few hours after Leon arrives, demanding a letter of endorsement from his older brother.

“For the gym challenge!” he explains when Naomi asks. “Can’t participate without it.” He beams at his brother, and there’s quiet pride in the way Leon looks back at him. “And I’m planning on being the one to defeat Lee.”

“Oh, huh,” Naomi says. “We don’t have a system like that in place in Kanto.”

“Oh, that’s where you’re from!” Hop smiles bashfully. “Ah, sorry, I was wondering but I didn’t want to ask… Um, are you two trainers or…?”

“Technically, we both are,” she answers, glancing at Kenneth and inviting him to chime in. He hasn’t said much since Leon arrived, and for now, he doesn’t intend to change that. Too many strangers and too many pretty faces. “I’m the only one who’s done any gym battles, though.”

That snaps up Hop’s interest. He leans forward in his seat. “How many badges do you have?”

“I got all eight back when I—”

“That’s wicked! Did you battle the champion?”

“Ah, no.” She smiles brightly; the kid’s enthusiasm is infectious. “But I was a gym leader for a while.”

What?

Leon chuckles. It’s a deep, smoky sound, and Kenneth wonders briefly why he and Sonia broke up.

“Can I battle you?” Hop asks.

Naomi would get this look in her eyes when she faced her challengers—excited and confident in a way that few other things affected her. He sees a spark of that now.

If the position of gym leader had come entirely on her own terms, it would have suited her beautifully.

“Well— You’re just starting out, right?” she asks.

Hop’s frown is all the answer she needs.

“When you’ve gotten a little more experience, okay? Besides.” She looks down at Kenji, curled up in her lap with his face pressed into her stomach. He’s either sleeping or hiding, but Kenneth assumes the former; Naomi would’ve called him into his ball if he didn’t want to be around all these people. “I just got this little guy the other day, and I haven’t really gotten the chance to get to know him.”

“Alright. But once I get some training in?”

“Then I’ll have a battle with you.”

Hop pumps his fists. “Yes.”
They spend almost two weeks in Wedgehurst getting familiar with the surrounding routes. Of all the Pokémon they’ve come across and all the Pokémon Naomi has captured, Yamper has become her favorite.

Kenneth assumes it’s because the little guy behaves a lot like Emi, seeking treats and approval and companionship. It’s no surprise he actually gets along with Emi, who pounces around him and encourages him to play. Right now, he’s gotten her to play some game with a ball that looks like a mix of tag and fetch. It’s downright adorable.

But he’s busy typing up notes under a tree, at least until Naomi plops down beside him with a whine. She’s close and warm and he doesn’t think anything of leaning over to kiss her cheek and be closer. “What is it?” he asks.

She pouts at him. “I know I’m not really supposed to keep any of them… But the Yamper’s so cute…”

She’s even cuter when she pouts. “You can keep whoever you want to keep.”

“I know,” she whines. “But I’m already bringing home Kenji, that’s seven Pokémon, plus Mewtwo, I really shouldn’t keep more…”

He rests against her shoulder. “You’ll figure it out.”

She huffs. “We should’ve waited for you to get a Galarian license, you’d probably have better self control about this.”

“You’re the ex-gym leader, we could expedite yours, not mine.”

Ugh, I know… This is too much responsibility.”

“You do love to complain…”

He can hear the smile in her voice when she says, “I’m still really good at it.” She taps the edge of his laptop, but she doesn’t mean for him to get back to work. She leans her head against his. “So once you’re done with this…?”

He nods. He’s gotten just about everything he’s wanted out of the wildlife here, and Sonia should be done looking into the Slumbering Weald soon enough. “Motostoke.”

“Might make it in time for that opening ceremony,” she murmurs. “Think Hop’ll challenge me the second he sees me?”

“He might.”

Her breathing is relaxing. He feels her pulse at the top of his head, where he’s pressed against her neck, and he shuts his eyes. The smell of grass, the birds chirping, Naomi beside him—it feels like being back on the ranch.

Thousands of miles away, it’s easier to miss home. He tells himself that’s what it is, because he doesn’t remember missing Pallet so much so soon when they were travelling across Kanto.

“It’d be fun to battle Leon,” she says. “I mean, it’d be illegal to use my actual team here, but I don’t think he’d care, even if he is champion. He seems like that kind of guy.”

“You’d kick his ass, babe.”

His mind hums with joy and gratitude—her smile. “Thanks.”

Next time, we leave Wedgehurst. 👀

Aurea

🎇Contributor
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Grass, Steel
He doesn’t face Naomi, but when she hooks a finger around his, he feels that it’s a gesture of comfort.

Sometimes she’s kind.
It would have been a sweet moment if she hadn’t looked at him deviously. “Aw, Kenneth,” she says, and he frowns, daring her to continue. She snickers in the face of his preemptive indignance. “He’s just like you when you saw Sonia.”
But only sometimes. xD God I love their dynamic. He knew just by her tone what was coming lmao. (the hooking of fingers was sweet af, though)
She shrugs. “He and I used to be rivals.” It’s a funny way of trying not to say they used to date.
asdfklajs;dlfjkasd DAMN the callout!
Naomi would get this look in her eyes when she faced her challengers—excited and confident in a way that few other things affected her. He sees a spark of that now.

If the position of gym leader had come entirely on her own terms, it would have suited her beautifully.
Oh, ow, my heart... it hurts to know that she was robbed of enjoying her time as a gym leader because it was forced on her. Somehow that makes it worse. She deserved this vacation ;;;;;

Also soft skin, sharp nails absolutely SENT ME. What a lovely way to describe Sonia. I love how you write her.

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Clever
Pokédex Entry
There's so much to love about these updates, but I have to say that my favorite was the interaction between Naomi and Hop near the end of part 4. It's emblematic of a part of your writing that I really admire: you get across so much about these characters in so little space! Seriously, in the space of a few lines of dialogue, we get to see Hop's exuberant confidence, get a peek into Naomi-as-Leader, and even get to learn about Kenneth from his observation! That's three characters you tell us about! I'm just in awe of how you do it, you're such a fantastic writer ^^

And I have got to echo Aurea that the bit about the Gym being forced onto her hurts so, so much... poor Naomi! I agree, she probably would have been great at it if it'd been her choice.

Kenneth assumes it’s because the little guy behaves a lot like Emi, seeking treats and approval and companionship. It’s no surprise he actually gets along with Emi, who pounces around him and encourages him to play. Right now, he’s gotten her to play some game with a ball that looks like a mix of tag and fetch. It’s downright adorable.
Nothing much to say here except that this is adorable and Emi is a bean. Keep up the fantastic work!

Garish Garchomp

Friendly Neighborhood Landshark
Administrator
🌱Featurer
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 12, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
he's ok i guess
Emi is your favorite on the team? No way. I had no idea. Can't imagine why.

Just wanna pick this out as a wonderful, illuminating detail that serves so much purpose for its size. Textbook Thirteenth. 👌

Also, you never cease to amaze me with how goddamn effectively and constantly you can just show off your fluff skills and show off how adorable a couple Naomi and Kenneth are, in all their phases of adorableness and anxiety and Naomi being a shit and everything in between. Except this is vacation so there's no anxiety, nothing bad will happen at all and especially Kenneth will just be happy forever! :)

Thirteenth

Number XIV
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 20, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
Pokédex Entry
But only sometimes. xD God I love their dynamic. He knew just by her tone what was coming lmao. (the hooking of fingers was sweet af, though)

asdfklajs;dlfjkasd DAMN the callout!

Oh, ow, my heart... it hurts to know that she was robbed of enjoying her time as a gym leader because it was forced on her. Somehow that makes it worse. She deserved this vacation ;;;;;

Also soft skin, sharp nails absolutely SENT ME. What a lovely way to describe Sonia. I love how you write her.
oh, here's where I learn that quoting a post doesn't quote quotes within that post?? interesting

Anyway, yes, they are too fun together just because of Naomi, I love them...

"It’s a funny way of trying not to say they used to date." Going off on a tangent here but when I wrote that, and even now reading back on it, it always reminds me of when I made eye contact with my Brit lit professor in college when she was reading a line from a poem, and in that exact moment we both realized the double entendre in the line. Makes me think of all the moments when people inexplicably get something across that they weren't even trying to say. So good job Sonia, you're wearing your feelings about Leon on your sleeve without even realizing it.

Sometimes I like to consider an AU where Naomi actually wants the gym and enjoys her position there, but even in that AU it's always hampered by the fact that it was still initially pushed on her... She's a little too hard-headed to completely enjoy it lol

I'm fond of "soft skin, sharp nails" too ;w; Glad you liked it, and that you like my Sonia! 🧡

There's so much to love about these updates, but I have to say that my favorite was the interaction between Naomi and Hop near the end of part 4. It's emblematic of a part of your writing that I really admire: you get across so much about these characters in so little space! Seriously, in the space of a few lines of dialogue, we get to see Hop's exuberant confidence, get a peek into Naomi-as-Leader, and even get to learn about Kenneth from his observation! That's three characters you tell us about! I'm just in awe of how you do it, you're such a fantastic writer ^^

And I have got to echo Aurea that the bit about the Gym being forced onto her hurts so, so much... poor Naomi! I agree, she probably would have been great at it if it'd been her choice.

Nothing much to say here except that this is adorable and Emi is a bean. Keep up the fantastic work!
Aaa thank you!! ;w; I realized after I finished writing this whole thing that it really was just an exercise in being as concise and efficient with my writing as possible even though I never meant for it to be that. That's part of why it's my current favorite thing I've ever written, because I think I really played to my strengths in this.

I'm excited to get to a future part where we get to see what she was like as a gym leader. It's a fun one, but it hurts me a little bit because it's clear that she would've had a lot of fun with battling if she felt like the position was something she got to choose for herself.

Emi is your favorite on the team? No way. I had no idea. Can't imagine why.

Just wanna pick this out as a wonderful, illuminating detail that serves so much purpose for its size. Textbook Thirteenth. 👌

Also, you never cease to amaze me with how goddamn effectively and constantly you can just show off your fluff skills and show off how adorable a couple Naomi and Kenneth are, in all their phases of adorableness and anxiety and Naomi being a shit and everything in between. Except this is vacation so there's no anxiety, nothing bad will happen at all and especially Kenneth will just be happy forever! :)
I know, I made it kind of difficult to tell which of her Pokemon is my favorite, but I promise it is Emi!!

;;w;; in response to what you quoted... I'm glad it stuck with everyone.

They're wonderful and great and there'll be a little more fluff here too and yes! Everything will just be sweet and lovely and no anxiety or worries or anything like that will follow 😁

Warning, there's a kissing scene here. :3c

Dynamaxing is terrifying.

The biggest Pokémon Kenneth has ever seen is a captured Steelix, trained not to rampage and flatten everything in its path nine meters below. But this? Fuck this.

“It’s not actually that big!” Sonia assures him. Illusions and trickery and intimidation tactics, sure, but that doesn’t change the fact that a Trapinch the size of an office building is right in front of him.

The only response he can make is a panicked, exasperated sound.

Naomi twists the new band around her wrist. Professor Magnolia’s parting gift, with some wishing star that will turn her own Pokémon into titans. “Ground, right?”

He nods, and says, “Yeah,” when he remembers she’s not looking at him but staring wide-eyed at their opponent, as she should be.

“Cool,” she breathes. She picks a Poké Ball but turns to Sonia before chucking it. “You sure you don’t wanna be the one doing this?”

“Nope! I’ve done this plenty of times.”

As level as Sonia sounds, her words aren’t reassuring.

“Alright…” Naomi presses a button on her wristband, and her Poké Ball glows and grows to the size of a basketball. “If we die, though, that’s on you.”

Sonia laughs.

Naomi turns and throws the ball overhead. Kenji appears behind them, monstrously tall, and Kenneth decides that Galar is just a bit much.
They don’t make it through the Wild Area in one day, and neither he nor Naomi is thrilled about it.

“Huh,” Sonia says, tending to a steaming pot of curry. “I must admit, I’m surprised. Though, I suppose Kanto doesn’t have the same sprawling wilderness we have here.”

Unless the Safari Zone counts, no, it doesn’t.

Naomi waves a toy around for Kenji and her Yamper to bat at. She hasn’t named the latter yet. Not until she’s sure she wants to keep him. He bets she will. “It’s more of a… sport here, I guess. With a dedicated season and all. Trainers take on gyms whenever they can in Kanto, even during the school year. So ‘roughing it’ isn’t really a huge thing unless you wanna be intense about it. Takes a lot of time.”

Sonia hums as she starts serving the Pokémon’s portions. “I thought you’d be more used to this, Kenneth. With all the work you’ve done with Professor Oak.”

“It’s just been a long day,” he sighs. He still hasn’t recovered from all the dynamax battles she led them into.

She gives him a cheeky grin, and if it weren’t for the exhaustion, he’d get lost in how pretty she is all over again. “Well you’d best get used to it.”

He frowns beyond their campsite, three pillars of red light in the distance. There may be more behind him. The odds are good that there are more behind him. He’d rather not know. “We’re going straight to Motostoke tomorrow, right?”

She giggles, but it reminds him of Naomi and her devious smiles. “Yes. I think you’ve both had enough dynamax battles for at least a week. They’re a rush, aren’t they?”

They’re something.

Naomi places a hand over his. “They are actually kinda fun. You said the gyms are built on power spots, right?”

At least in a stadium, a moving skyscraper capable of breathing fire or whatever is less intimidating. There are rules there. Some semblance of order. Out in the wild? Not so much.

Still, it doesn’t quite sit well with him when Naomi says, “It might’ve actually been fun to take part.”

“It’s not too late!” Sonia says, handing them their plates. Noodles and rice soaking in spicy curry. Leon had brought it up awkwardly at Professor Magnolia’s lab, but he wasn’t wrong about Sonia being an excellent cook. “All you need is a letter of endorsement before the ceremony starts. I’m sure Leon wouldn’t mind writing one up for you if you catch him in time.”

“Oh. Really?” She pokes at her food pensively. “I could do without the spectacle but… Maybe. I’ll think about it.”
They’re lucky enough to find a decent and relatively cheap hotel despite the opening ceremony. The rooms are small, the facilities are limited, and there isn’t much of a view, but it is close to public transportation, a Pokémon Center, and a few eateries.

Kenneth loves it for the privacy. It isn’t often that Naomi wants to sit in his lap and make out with him.

Every time she does, he wonders what inspired her to initiate—he thinks this time, it may be that they’ve gotten some space from Sonia, though they’ve only been on the road with her for two days. But once she’s in his lap, he doesn’t care to know. Once her hands cup his face and her lips meet his, he doesn’t care to think at all.

Kissing her like this is always slow and gentle, and it always gets a little maddening. Soft sounds, light touches, heat that he feels but she doesn’t. He squeezes her hips and waist, but she does something with his lower lip that makes him shudder, and he decides it would be best to place his hands on her back and leave them there.

He follows mindlessly when she pulls her lips away, and only realizes she meant to end the kiss when she runs her thumb over his chin.

For a second, she says nothing, just brushing her nail over two-day stubble. He breathes.

“You’re scratchy,” she whispers, in a tone meant only to fill the silence.

“I can go shave,” he mumbles, almost desperate, wholly lost in everything she is.

She smiles and wraps her arms around his neck, but she doesn’t move to kiss him. He is well aware of how hard he is, and she must know too. So it’s probably time to stop.

His hands follow the curve of her back, over her shoulders, and down her bare arms. He wants to kiss her hands, but he likes having her arms around his neck more. He kisses her chin instead. “Love you…”

She will never mean it the exact same way he does, and it will always make his heart melt when she whispers back, “I love you too.”

localhoney

~either i'm careless or i wanna get caught~
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 17, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Localhoney, the Sweet Toxin Pokemon. It's said that the sounds it emits can paralyze even a Gigantamax Grimmsnarl.
Having just read Agency and falling in love with Naomi and Kenneth (mostly the former but Kenneth would agree with me on that), this fic is perfect. I do love getting to see these established characters mess about with other in-canon characters, and I hope we get to see lots and lots of Sonia along the way.

On top of loving Agency, there's something heartwarming about these two just *vacationing* instead of cloning Mew or handling newly-discovered telepathic abilities. There's no tension (at least, negative tension) hanging in the air, waiting to ruin the good time. It's just good vibes (bi-bes?) all around.

She will never mean it the exact same way he does, and it will always make his heart melt when she whispers back, “I love you too.”
I love this line so much. Way to melt my heart, Thirteenth.

Last edited:

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Warning, there's a kissing scene here. :3c
flagged for leWD CONTENT???

For reals, though, these chapters were great! It was such fun poking through Kenneth's POV some more, and that last scene was just... <3

I love these two aaaaaaaaaa

Aurea

🎇Contributor
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Grass, Steel
Kenneth decides that Galar is just a bit much.
Kenneth is literally all of us the first time we saw Dynamaxing in the trailer for SWSH. xD I love how nonchalant Sonia is about it.

But once she’s in his lap, he doesn’t care to know. Once her hands cup his face and her lips meet his, he doesn’t care to think at all.
There was a lot I wanted to quote from this scene because I so so love this soft, tender moments between the two of them, but I especially liked this. ;w; They're so sweet together, ugh.

It makes my heart melt too, Kenneth. ;w; Their love is so soft and genuine. I live for these quiet moments of theirs.

Thirteenth

Number XIV
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 20, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
Pokédex Entry
Having just read Agency and falling in love with Naomi and Kenneth (mostly the former but Kenneth would agree with me on that), this fic is perfect. I do love getting to see these established characters mess about with other in-canon characters, and I hope we get to see lots and lots of Sonia along the way.

On top of loving Agency, there's something heartwarming about these two just *vacationing* instead of cloning Mew or handling newly-discovered telepathic abilities. There's no tension (at least, negative tension) hanging in the air, waiting to ruin the good time. It's just good vibes (bi-bes?) all around.

I love this line so much. Way to melt my heart, Thirteenth.
I'm still crying you read all of Agency so quickly and fell in love with my dumb dweebs 😭♥ Kenneth would absolutely agree with you...

I'm glad you're enjoying them just vacationing! It was all I wanted to see so it's what I wrote, and then it turned into a proposal fic hehe. Nothing but good bibes indeed.

I love that line too 😭 The original was actually "...but it will always make his heart melt..." but I changed it because I didn't want to come across like "despite the fact that she doesn't feel the exact same way..." Conjunction choices are important.

flagged for leWD CONTENT???

For reals, though, these chapters were great! It was such fun poking through Kenneth's POV some more, and that last scene was just... <3

I love these two aaaaaaaaaa
:3c

I'm 💕💕💕💕 That's pretty much all I've got, is just hearts, thank you.

Kenneth is literally all of us the first time we saw Dynamaxing in the trailer for SWSH. xD I love how nonchalant Sonia is about it.

There was a lot I wanted to quote from this scene because I so so love this soft, tender moments between the two of them, but I especially liked this. ;w; They're so sweet together, ugh.

It makes my heart melt too, Kenneth. ;w; Their love is so soft and genuine. I live for these quiet moments of theirs.
He is though. We're all probably more like Sonia now, except for whenever the Solrock guy shows up. Then it's just unbridled rage...

They're. soft. 😭 And like I said to localhoney on that last line you quoted, it was originally "but" instead of "and," but I changed it because I didn't want him feeling all fuzzy despite the fact that she doesn't feel exactly the same. It was an important change.

So many spoiler boxes this time...

12 is literally one sentence though lmao. It won't be the only one like that.

In the middle of the opening ceremony, Kenneth realizes there’s only one piece of information worth retaining: Bea, Nessa, and Raihan can tie him up and bend him over a table any day, good gods.

He puts his arm around Naomi as the chairman continues his spiel and whispers into her ear, “So guess which gym leaders I’d let do whatever they want to me.”

She covers her face and giggles quietly, trying not to indulge him. “You’re so embarrassing…”

“Guess!”

She eyes him with a tempting little smirk; more than anyone, he’d let her do whatever she wanted to him. She peers at the gym leaders on the court, glancing up at the screens whenever the Rotom drones feature any of them. “I’m gonna say… Uh, Nessa, right? And… I think her name was Bea? And the one who—he’s still taking selfies. Oh, Raihan. Those three.”

He squeezes her arm. “You know me so well.”
For all its modern-day polish, Motostoke Stadium houses a fair amount of history. Naomi leads him around the lobby looking at photographs of old gym leaders, video clips of iconic battles, trophies and medals belonging to the current gym leader Kabu. They make a full trek around the first floor while other attendees flow out of the stadium, and find themselves back at their exit just as Hop and Leon are leaving.

“Oh,” Naomi says to herself, and Hop waves her over saying something about their battle. She turns to Kenneth with an amused smile and says, “As soon as he saw me, you were right.”

“I should’ve bet on it,” he says, squeezing her hand.

“What would you have bet?”

He shrugs. “A few kisses, a fancy dinner date… Or, actually, you could’ve done some of my work for me.”

She purses her lips. If they were alone, he would kiss her. “Mm, I’ll give you the first two.”

“Damn…”

Leon is the one who thanks them for coming, before Hop can excitedly and officially ask for his battle again. The boy goes on for a bit about how much he’s been looking forward to it, how he’ll show Leon how capable a trainer he is, how Leon and their parents will witness him become the new champion—and Naomi flashes a thought at Kenneth.

It’s a dense thought, sudden and riddled with nerves and old pains, and it takes him a minute to detangle it. It’s Leon and Sabrina, herself and Hop, familial pressures and expectations, and she doesn’t know how to handle this battle if Leon is watching. Does she treat Hop like any other trainer seeking their first badge—and he’s not ready for it, she can feel it—or does she help him save face and a little self-worth?

Leon says they can commandeer the stadium for a quick battle, and on their way to the field, Naomi sneaks a worried glance at Kenneth.

He shrugs apologetically and whispers, “I’m not sure… Depends on how he does?”

She pouts.

At the start, she battles Hop like he’s just another badgeless challenger, giving him openings and dancing around his moves just to see how he responds and adapts, with no offensive strategy on her part.

But she falters when Hop’s Wooloo becomes visibly fatigued and he doesn’t choose to switch out. Even though Kenneth can’t answer, she sends him another thought asking what to do.

She’s so caught up in her concerns that Hop’s Wooloo almost lands a Tackle on Kenji, but she orders a Water Pulse angled toward the ground at the last second. It buys him enough time to get out of the way.

And she calls it.

“What?” Hop shouts. “Oh, rubbish, we can still fight! You haven’t even landed a direct attack!”

She crouches before the Wooloo with an outstretched hand and waits for the okay to scratch his head. “I didn’t need to. Look at how exhausted he is.”

“W-well, I still have another Pokémon!”

She shakes her head. “Kenji’s tired too, and I haven’t really been training any of my other Pokémon for battles.” She looks at him gently and says, “Part of being a good trainer is recognizing when your Pokémon are at their limits.”

Hop looks to his brother and mumbles inaudibly, but Naomi goes up to him and says something that makes him smile.

The way she interacts with the kid warms Kenneth’s heart. One day, when they’re both ready for it, he wants to raise a family with her.
He knows of one dress that Naomi brought with her on this trip. It’s probably his favorite one. This navy thing with gold details and three-quarter sleeves that bares her shoulders and hugs her waist. She wears it with skinny black or gold heels and bright red lipstick, and every time he sees her in it, he wonders how the fuck he got so lucky.

So when she asks if they can have that fancy dinner date, he kicks himself when he answers, “All my dress clothes are wrinkled.”

“So are my dresses,” she says pensively. She inspects the hotel closet. “There’s an iron, but I don’t see a steamer… I guess we could fog up the bathroom and hang our clothes in there.”

“That’s fine.”

She makes a big deal about it. He has to keep his eyes closed when she takes her dress out of the suitcase she pulled from the PC system. He isn’t allowed to hang his clothes in there himself, she has to do it. And when he needs to use the bathroom, he has to swear up and down that he won’t look at her dress.

He doesn’t look. He wants to be surprised.

He’s still fixing his tie later when she steps out of the bathroom and clears her throat—and absolutely floors him.

This isn’t a navy dress. It’s black and lacy and strapless. It cinches in at her waist and flares around her. The skirt is longer in the back than it is in the front, baring her legs, trailing on the floor a bit because she hasn’t put her heels on. Her hair’s pinned back into a simple bun, and the smile she wears as she twirls for him is the brightest thing he’s seen in a while.

“What do you think?”

He thinks he needs to marry her yesterday.

He swallows. “You’re stunning.”

Her smile turns a little shy and so cute, but she tries to hide it by saying, “Oh, you flatterer.” She doesn’t help matters at all when she tiptoes up to him, takes him by his tie, and leans in. But she hesitates. “I’m gonna leave lipstick on your face…”

“I don’t care.”

She lightly presses her lips to his cheek.

His heart thuds. He puts a hand on her waist and shyly asks, “Would it ruin your makeup too much if we just…”

She smiles and kisses him.
He loves her so much.

It's basically this but, you know, not navy. No wonder Kenneth's in love.

The marriage thoughts begin to set in. 👀

Also! Since this is a slightly longer update than usual, next update might be next Saturday instead of Wednesday!

localhoney

~either i'm careless or i wanna get caught~
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 17, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Localhoney, the Sweet Toxin Pokemon. It's said that the sounds it emits can paralyze even a Gigantamax Grimmsnarl.
Bea, Nessa, and Raihan can tie him up and bend him over a table any day, good gods.
mood.
He thinks he needs to marry her yesterday.
mood.

I love the signs of experience of Naomi being a gym leader and recognizing faults in challengers that she doesn't just annihilate Hop like all of us do at the start of the game, but she gives him a shot and calls the match when she feels it's over. I also love Naomi shooting thoughts at Kenneth that he can untangle and figure out, shows a lot of growth from Agency to here which I love.

Garish Garchomp

Friendly Neighborhood Landshark
Administrator
🌱Featurer
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 12, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
he's ok i guess
Chapter 12 is just so eloquent, so full of passion and emotion and says so much, it's truly an epic that I don't know if I can ever match. Just, the sheer majesty of it... I'm envious. (Seriously tho everything is just so cute, I love them so much.)

10 though... like, I know how much Naomi didn't want to be shoehorned into gym leader life, but at the same time I love how she definitely has that kind of energy at times, and how she has those instincts not just as a battler but as a gym leader and someone who's bringing on challengers. Even though she has those internal debates as to how the handle the situation, she ends up doing so perfectly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)