• Ash has been all over the news lately and this site is no exception! Check out Ashes to Ashes, the latest featured run!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes recieving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our new Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • Happy tapaversary, Guest! It's been about a year since the Tapatalk Takeover; if you'd like to make a donation to us to celebrate the fact that we tapped out of that site, please click here.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about the new Critique Level Tags!
  • The second episode of Nuzlocke City Radio is here! Tune in for our discussion on the history and analysis of gijinkas, catch up on the biggest forum news, and we finally settle the score between Team Aqua and Team Magma in The Debatelockers!

Screenshot Kanto General Commentary Dust in the Wind 2: The Mothening - A Solo Dustox run of Pokemon FireRed

Thread Description
Praise the Moth, greatest of all beings!

Erberor

The Feelstabber
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Psychic, Rock
Pokédex Entry
Exercise extreme caution: May stab in the feels and twist the knife
The epic journey of moth supremacy continues with...

DUST IN THE WIND 2: THE MOTHENING

This time, it's off to Kanto!

If you missed the first chapter of this saga, you can go read my journey through Emerald here. It's not at all necessary, there's not exactly going to be much of an ongoing plot, but still, there it is.

Regardless, if you're new, welcome to Dust in the Wind! My humble attempt to demonstrate to the world the grandeur of Dustox, the one Pokemon that is categorically superior to all others. That's all there is to say about it, really. Let's get on with it!

- Only Dustox (and its pre-evolutions) may be used in combat.
- No additional wurmples past the first may be caught.
- If Dustox falls in battle, the run is over.
- Only one healing item may be used per battle.
- HM pokemon may be caught and used in the field, but cannot be used in battle for any purpose.
- If an HM pokemon ends up in battle due to a double battle, it must use non-damaging moves until it faints or the battle is over. I cannot intentionally use this to my advantage, and will avoid double battles wherever possible.
- If a shiny shows up, I'm catching it on principle, but I still can't use it.

Get hype everybody, it's go time!

Wow, it has been years since I last touched FireRed. Or Kanto at all, for that matter. Probably... 4 years now since I last played.

It does my heart good to see Oak again, that's some big nostalgia right there.

Am Erb

Now, my rival's name... I spent quite some time thinking about what to name him. Eventually, I settled on a name that invokes the creatures that so often steal the spotlight from the humble moth...

Butterflies.

Oak!

You hear that? This is going to be a legend!

WOOOOOOO!

As before, I used the Universal Pokemon Randomizer to replace the grass starter with Wurmple. Why the grass starter? Because s u f f e r i n g. That way my rival will have Charmander and have type advantage! Hurray!

Aside from that, the ROM is completely unchanged.

I'm straight up naming this one Morgan after the Fire Emblem Awakening character because I've been playing a lot of Fire Emblem lately and I can't get my mind off it.

Alright, first battle! Let's go!

This is where it all begins!

The stories of our exploits will ring out across the land!

THE BARDS WILL SING OF OUR DEEDS! LONG WILL THE LEGENDS OF OUR-

Oh dear.

I see.

I guess Charmander does have a bit of an advantage here.

Well, people don't usually count the nuzlocke as having started until you get Pokeballs, so I guess we can just... carry on.

Yep. Let's get grinding.

Alright, that's it. I'm not going to accept this. I'm going to restart. I'm going to restart until we win that battle!

THIS TIME I'M GOING TO-

Alright, next time-

I just-

Will you please-

Alright. I can see I'm going to need to get lucky here. I'll need a good enough defense IV to take 4 instead of 5 damage from scratch, and enough attack to actually take Charmander down, and even then, I'll probably need a crit.

Well... How long can it take to get a lucky crit?

He crit me that time...

OH MY GOD I GOT A CRIT

WHY

Alright, so maybe I'll need 2 crits. How long can that take?

I mean, it's only a 1/256 chance...

And besides, look at how many crits Butter keeps getting! Pretty much every time he survives with green HP, he got a crit.

One Crit...

Nope.

Another crit for him...

Another crit for him...

And... another... crit...

OH COME ON HE'S GOT ONE HP LEFT WHY

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

This... this is what true suffering feels like...

I'll just... be over here crying...

So... close...

He... He got the double crit.

Of course.

Those last two screenshots may look the same, but I assure you, they were separate attempts.

This... this is just awful. I mean, there's got to be a better way...

Some way to even the odds here, I mean, I'm just hammering away at a brick wall, no items or-

I'm an idiot.

I am such an idiot.

I forgot the starting potion. I forgot the starting potion.

I FORGOT THE STARTING POTION.

...Right.

Now all we have to do is use this in the battle and-

Moth dammit.

Alright, this time...

...Finally...

And all it took was 45 failed attempts before realizing how stupid I was being.

Alright, let's just...

Yep.

Let's not forget this...

You know... I really shouldn't have expected anything else.

THERE WE GO

RIGHTIO THEN

THANK YOU!

Now that I've finally got the actual moth I'm going to be playing the game with, Let's look at his stats.

Solid all around. I lucked out again with a neutral nature, but at this point... I'd be happy with anything.

I snagged the parcel after grinding to level 7.

Sweet, free stuff!

That's nice. Why should I care?

A real shame. Maybe you should hire an assistant or something.

Or you could conscript the local 10 year olds, that works too.

Good, because I have no intention of helping.

I know it's going to be a while before I need any HMs, but I caught a Rattata anyway.

And I named it RATTYLAD, which is a reference to a minor character in a book very few of you have likely read. I'll give you a hint: The book involves a really big tree.

And then I grinded to level 10 before venturing into the woods.

There we go...

Behold, perfection.

And the attacking move we'll be relying on for some time!

Now, I was feeling confident, so I went ahead and took on the completely optional rival battle.

Probably a stupid decision.

You know... Sand attack from that Pidgey is going to be really annoying in future battles.

That's... A lot of damage. This might not go as planned.

OR MAYBE IT'LL ALL GO JUST RIGHT!

Absolutely no problem.

What'd I tell ya? I'm invincible!

Well, I still have that accuracy debuff from earlier but still!

Nothing to it!

In fairness, that confusion was pretty clutch.

SHADDUP, BUTTER, YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO, YOU'RE JUST A DAIRY PRODUCT!

After that battle, I went into the forest and started clearing out all the inferior bug trainers.

I managed to snag a couple levels in the process.

And then I went straight into the gym to take on the trainer

Which went quite smoothly and got me another level.

Now, for our calculations. Geodude is a non-issue, and will allow Morgan to set up max defense with Harden easily.

And, on to Onix. To be honest... I think I could probably pull through, but I don't want to risk taking a crit and being forced to restart again.

And this is the numbers for level 18, which is pretty nice, and definitely more than I need, looking back on it, but that's what I decided to grind to last week when I actually started the gameplay, so...

I'm really glad that I'll eventually have access to the VS seeker for any grinding I might have to do down the line.

Ah, protect. I think this time around, I might opt to bring another attacking move into battle rather than protect. Protect was useful in Emerald, especially with Norman's Slaking and arguably in the Flannery fight, but I think I might need a little extra coverage this time around. Granted, there are... Actually no dark types in Kanto, and almost no steel types, so Psychic moves can probably carry me through anyway. I'll put some more thought into it before coming to a decision.

And here we stand for Brock!

Ah, Brock, you bring back so many memories... I grew up on Pokemon. The original TV series was such a huge thing for me growing up, and the first video game that I actually owned was Pokemon Yellow. I mean, I there was NES and a computer in the house (The NES was once my Dad's}, so I also grew up on Mario 3 and Starcraft, but Pokemon was a lot more important to me. I have so many memories of that first time playing through Yellow, back before I understood team composition and, you know, training any Pokemon that wasn't Pikachu. Even though I had both kinds of Nidoran in my party, I only got past Brock when I took Pikachu to level 20 and powered through his Onix with Slam.

Yeah, I was an ignorant little kid. But I loved it.

See, in my head, I would associate willpower with special defense. Which your Pokemon do not have.

You're going to fight back knowing that you'll be crushed by the unstoppable moth?

This should be pretty simple... I'm pretty overleveled, if I'm honest. But I'm taking no chances.

Let's get this party started!

4 damage on tackle after only one harden.

I think it goes without saying that Geodude posed no threat whatsoever.

Which of course takes us to Onix...

...To be perfectly honest, Onix is weak. It is really weak.

As in, it has the same base attack stat as a Wurmple.

There was no other way that could have gone.

To be honest, I wish I hadn't grinded so much... Though an errant crit might have still really screwed things up even at level 18...

So long, Brock, have fun with the Pokemon breeding or cooking or whatever.

And with that, the new journey begins. Thank you for coming, and be sure to keep an eye out for our moth overlords!

Lumaeus

Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Brave
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Cute
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon is trying its best to fight the good fight.
It's super exciting to have the sequel run so swiftly! The Moth is so good to us all. Good luck on this! Not that you need luck with Moth.

my rival will have Charmander and have type advantage!
Double advantage when it's fully evolved.

ALL HAIL THE MOTH.

Even though I had both kinds of Nidoran in my party, I only got past Brock when I took Pikachu to level 20 and powered through his Onix with Slam.
Absolutely relatable. I never played yellow until I was maybe 20, but I did a sololocke with Pikachu and it was a headache before both Brock and the eighth gym leader (no spoilers ;) )

Pokemon breeding or cooking
Do not cook the Pokemon! Do NOT cook the Pokemon!

mizar

young, dumb, and full of you know ;)
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
Dragon
ok ok ok the beginning of your run is one of the funniest things I've ever seen on these forums, I DIED when you finally succeeded and it evolved into silcoon ajkdhfakjsdf bless your patience

Bluebirdi3

on the run from the Petilil mafia
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 15, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
she/her/they/them
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Poison
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon has developed an immunity to several diseases and nitrous oxide because of its' close proximity to them. radiates extreme chaotic energy
what an early-game moth slaughter, jesus

is that ri-oh my god it is

Bowser's Family Vacation

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Let's hope Morgan is as powerful a unit as his namesake!

Shut up, Ephraim! You know why people talk!

Ah, of course! Behind every frontline unit is a healer!

...Don't let us down, Morgan Number... 50?

With the lack of dark and steel types in Kanto, this should be an easier run! Key word: should. *looks at final rival battle, with an Alakazam* At least Brock was easy!

SnackyTheSylph

Member of G.R.O.S.S. (ironically)
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ground
Pokédex Entry
Has a lot of projects, but staunchly refuses to share any of them publicly.
Hail the moth!

I must confess, I have conspired with the enemy...I did a Beautifly solo run in Emerald a while ago (it was horrible, by the way). But I am still rooting for the Moth, as a fellow Wurmplebro. .

Killjoy

bottom text
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them (preferable)
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
the joy killer, most passive-aggressive creacher, unable to type properly but seems to not care enough
Yes, I love all my 100 Wurmples equally. [softly restarts when they die at rival's Charmander OR evolve into Silcoon]
I had a feeling you forgot the Starter Potion, but hey, nobody perfect. Especially when you deal with Wurngmple.

Alan900900900

Lurker extraordinaire
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is a master of having too many projects at the same time.
Hey hey, lurker from the first run here to comment for the first time!
Don't worry too much about forgetting the beginning potion, happens often enough from my experience.
Good job on Brock! Also, god Onix is pathetic.

cyndakip

stuck in reverse
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
they/she
Pokémon Type
Fire, Water
Pokédex Entry
Part Cyndaquil, part Mudkip, entirely ridiculous. Icon by https://rileykitty.tumblr.com!
Erb you absolute madman I can't believe you redid the rival battle that many times. And then ended up with a silcoon. What a start. But after overcoming such adversity, the rest of the game should be comparably easy! Nothing can stop the almighty moth!

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 11, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them/their
Pokémon Type
Water, Ghost
Wow, this is a heck of a victory lap! I'm glad to get on the ground floor of this one. I happily await your conquest of Kanto!

Now, my rival's name... I spent quite some time thinking about what to name him. Eventually, I settled on a name that invokes the creatures that so often steal the spotlight from the humble moth...

Butterflies.
I like the way you think.

Oh dear.

I see.

I guess Charmander does have a bit of an advantage here.
Ah, well - not the most auspicious start, but it can be overcome!

Alright. I can see I'm going to need to get lucky here. I'll need a good enough defense IV to take 4 instead of 5 damage from scratch, and enough attack to actually take Charmander down, and even then, I'll probably need a crit.
Strategy talk, cool. This is clearly a frustrating early obstacle, but I'm sure you can manage it--

OH MY GOD I GOT A CRIT

WHY
Ouch.

OH COME ON HE'S GOT ONE HP LEFT WHY

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Ouch. Tragically, Wurmple hasn't yet unlocked the full moth power yet, and thus is fallible.

I forgot the starting potion. I forgot the starting potion.

I FORGOT THE STARTING POTION.
...that's a really easy mistake to make, but I doubt that's of much comfort considering how many times you redid that starting battle...

...Finally...
A victory very hard-earned! Congrats.

Alright, let's just...

Oh. Maybe Morgan would've won faster if he was destined to evolve into a Dustox.

The single letter of utter exhausted despair.

RIGHTIO THEN

THANK YOU!
Thank goodness Morgan got it right this time.

There we go...

Behold, perfection.
Ah, yes... balance has been restored.

Probably a stupid decision.
Nah, you have this.

Nothing to it!
See? (I bet that seeing that Charmander faint is such a relief...)

After that battle, I went into the forest and started clearing out all the inferior bug trainers.
Not one of them have Dustox! Or even Wurmple that will evolve into Dustox! Shameful.

And this is the numbers for level 18, which is pretty nice, and definitely more than I need, looking back on it, but that's what I decided to grind to last week when I actually started the gameplay, so...
After that rough start, I can't blame you at all for being a little over-cautious.

Ah, protect. I think this time around, I might opt to bring another attacking move into battle rather than protect. Protect was useful in Emerald, especially with Norman's Slaking and arguably in the Flannery fight, but I think I might need a little extra coverage this time around. Granted, there are... Actually no dark types in Kanto, and almost no steel types, so Psychic moves can probably carry me through anyway. I'll put some more thought into it before coming to a decision.
Ooh, strategy talk! *chinhands*

(Also, technically I think you can encounter one dark-type species in the wild, in the post-game. But it's rare and only found in one specific place and pretty easy to avoid.)

...To be perfectly honest, Onix is weak. It is really weak.

Ouch. That's a fact more devastating than Morgan's Confusion.

sunrii

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ground
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is gentle-natured and foul-mouthed. Also, it smells faintly of peaches.
BEHOLD, THE MOTH RETURNETH
(i'm super excited for this omg)

QuietGuardian

🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ground
I was a silent follower of the previous run, and I'm here for this one, too! That beginning cracked me up.

Ah, I also have memories of starting my games with Yellow and overleveling the hell out of Pikachu.

cross_off

you chase the dragon but it follows you home
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he - him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
it was banished for its violence. it silently gazes upon the old world from the distortion world
the MOTH has returned to reign supreme over yet another region. eager to see the chaos this foreign insect will wreak.

man wurmple rly doesn't have it easy in these opening fights. stat differences matter, espec this early...oh wait you forgot the potion LOL RIP. anyways glad that MOTH rose above in the end and is on the road to another ring. slinging confusion at shit is really strong at this point of the game tbh, hoping its enough to carry you through. gl!

Erberor

The Feelstabber
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Psychic, Rock
Pokédex Entry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow, uh, this is a lot of comments. Thank you!

@Lumaeus Does flying advantage even count when the strongest flying move he'll ever get is wing attack? Scratch that, Aerial Ace. He gets Aerial Ace.

@Nimbostratus Morgan fainted indeed... Moth bless his persistent soul and mine

@mizar You should have seen my face when that Silcoon appeared. Heck, I wish I had seen my face when that happened.

@Rocco2000 I'll take your luck and run off with it! Thanks for dropping by.

@Bluebirdi3 That little fact about Onix is one of my favorite things to throw around, and I was so happy to see it be so applicable here. Yeah, it really is that low.

@Bowser's Family Vacation Thank you so much for these Fire Emblemy memes, they have brought joy to my soul.

@SnackyTheSylph Running with just Beautifly would be a real challenge. Dustox has the bulk to stay in it a lot better, whereas with Beautifly you'd just have to be relying on its mediocre attacking stats. Oof. Hell yeah Wurplebros though!

@Killjoy So much soft resetting. SO MANY DEAD. Yeah, I felt like a real fool forgetting the potion, but it all works out because my foolishness makes for great jokes.

@Alan900900900 Hey, glad to see you here! Hope you enjoy this one too. Onix is... yeah. Not the best Pokemon.

@cyndakip I am a committed little bugger and nobody will ever say otherwise. All hail the mighty Moth!

@songwithnosoul big long comments like these always make my day, thank you!

@sunrii I'm excited too! I promise I'll start posting more often to support that claim!

@QuietGuardian Glad to hear I wasn't the only one who powered through everything with the power of pika. The really crazy thing that happened with me is that I kept using Pikachu as my rock type counter because Slam worked so well against Brock, right? I distinctly remember sending out my Pikachu against Giovanni feeling so clever because I had my "strong against rock types" move!

@cross_off The moth returns, as was fortold! Thanks for dropping by, I really appreciate it.
Bet you thought I was dead or something! Well, you're wrong, my soul has just been completely consumed by the release of Iceborne, the Monster Hunter World expansion. Send help I can't stop hunting these heckin' monsters.

In all seriousness, thank you all for this profoundly warm welcome for the new run. I never would have expected this kind of response, and I feel really bad that my own response to you has been to drop off the map for almost 3 weeks! So I'm promising a minimum of one update a week from now on, even if it does mean I have to cut back a little on the Monster Hunter time!

Good day, citizen!

Excellent. Now shoo.

You couldn't have given these to me a little sooner, Mom? Like, you know, when I left home?

The key to the run! You may have noticed the healing item limit in the rules. This is how I plan to overcome it.

Now, I want you to look REAL close here. There's a tiny patch of darker pixels indicating that there is a berry... buried here. I am so sorry

No I'm not

Maybe this will be useful someday.

And then BAM, we're in a cave.

Darn it all to heck! You dastard!

I'm pretty sure Magnemite is the only steel type Kanto will throw at me. Good.

I found a trainer with an Onix, but without the benefit of knowing rock tomb, it was even less of a threat than Brock's.

Do you have a permit to be digging here? Who owns this land? Do they know you're excavating potentially valuable fossils?

Tell you what, if you let me have a fossil, I won't tell the authorities.

Hehehe... The fool didn't even know that Kanto has no authorities!

Unfortunately, Dustox can learn neither Mega Punch nor Mega Kick.

Woooooooooow a Razz berry wooooooooooooow

Now, rather than being sensible, I elected to walk right into the gym immediately after healing at the center.

Hit level 24 on the trainers

Which is good, because Psybeam is an important upgrade.

My policy is moth

I have a moth

MOOOOOOOOOOOOTH

PREPARED TO BE MOTH'D

Hell yeah! Nearly a one-shot! I think it was a crit though.

Good, burned a potion on the weaker mon.

And that'll do it!

And it is at about this moment that I realize that my strongest move is not very effective!

Alright, we'll just have to power through it with gust!

I SEE

This could be rough

Quite rough.

I missed screencapping a turn there, by the way, used Moonlight to heal up.

And again...

This bodes poorly.

CRITS WHY

DON'T YOU DARE CRIT

AAAAAAAAAAAA

Just... got... to... hold... on...

This is not good...

Getting there!

Just a little more!

HEY YOU REMEMBER HOW LAST TIME I FORGOT GYM LEADERS USE TWO POTIONS

WOULDN'T IT BE FUNNY IF I DID THAT AGAIN?

I think that's my last moonlight.

Thus I use my only heal to heal my heals

If it can't see him it can't hit him!

Hang in there Morgan!

And then, rather suddenly, I had an epiphany. Why don't I use protect to stall out Water Pulse's PP?

I really should have had that idea sooner.

I am a disgrace to Morgan's tactician lineage.

HELL YEAH CRIT

KEEP STALLING!

This time, we're actually nearly there!

Keep stalling because there's no such thing as playing it too safe!

STALLING IS A VALID TACTIC

That might just be the last one!

So, fun fact about Protect and similar moves that might save your pokemon's life someday. You know how protect is very likely to fail if used twice in a row? Well, if you use protect, then use a potion or other item, then try to protect again, the protect will almost certainly fail- using an item will not "refresh" the move like using another move would. I figured this out in a nasty battle in Drayano's hack of Alpha Sapphire, in which he made one of the horde trainer battles a fight with 5 Vaporeons. All of them spammed Surf. All of them had Water Absorb. They also liked using Rain dance. Can you see where this is going? Suffice it to say that after losing my Kangaskhan, I sent out my Aegislash to stall them out with a combination of King's Shield and heals.

It did not end well.

I did eventually win though. I was one salty boy after that one. In fact, I'm still salty about it, and find every excuse to complain about it, as I am currently doing. Did I mention that every single round took a minute and a half to go through because it had to display the water absorb popup 20 times? That battle took more than 40 minutes.

Anyway, back to business.

Swift is much less threatening.

And rapid spin is even less threatening!

YES

AHAHAHAHA!!!!

VICTORY IS MINE!

Now. While I was writing this, I watched a video, one of the many Pokemon challenge runs that have overtaken YouTube of late. It was a run of LeafGreen. The guy pointed out that he had a lot of trouble beating Misty with his Shuckle on account of Starmie using Recover.

I sat there thinking "what? Recover? I don't remember her using recover in my Dustox run!"

So I checked Bulbapedia just to be sure.

Yeah.

In my fight, Starmie never used Recover. Never. I almost certainly would have lost if it had started using it. This is something I should have checked before going into the fight, and I'm a fool for not doing so. I just risked the whole run by not doing my research!

Well... A miracle just happened.

A MOTH MIRACLE

OUR CAUSE IS JUST! THE GODS WILL IT! DEUS VULT!

DEUS VULT!

DEUS VULT!

And then I trespassed on some old fart's property and stole his yard candy.

Well, this battle should go a little smoother. Maybe.

flashes back to literally 3 minutes ago

You can't prove anything!

I have one!

And he is the very greatest!

PREPARE FOR MOTH

YOU BUTTER BE READY FOR THIS

The rival fights in Kanto are much more threatening than they were in Hoenn. Probably doesn't help that a huge portion of his team ends up have SE moves against Morgan.

Case in point.

A real shame that the pidgey line doesn't learn wing attack until, like, level 30 or something. Let me check that.

Level 27. It takes until level 27 for Pidgeotto to learn a 60 BP move in gen 3, and it doesn't get anything stronger.

No wonder Fearow is so much stronger. It gets drill peck.

So long, bird!

The other big threat, which is mysteriously unevolved...

Oh nooooooo

A critical hiiiiiiiit!

RIP the salamander.

Heal up for safety's sake before cleaning up...

And then the rat.

Not exactly impressing anyone, this wee rat.

He was not ready.

In truth, no one can be. You think everything's going great, and then the moth shows up, and suddenly it all falls apart.

Now, I need to tell you a little story. This line immediately prompted the response "I don't care". That got me thinking about a delightful little meme I could drop in here, if only I could find it. So I went searching. And searching. It was only ever circulated in a couple discord channels, and only by one guy, so I trawled through every post with a file attached the guy had posted since the dawn of those channels, and somehow, SOMEHOW, after an hour and a half of searching, I could not find it.

And you know what?

Most people wouldn't even understand the damn thing. It was a 4 second or so clip of a Rathalos, one of the most iconic Monster Hunter monsters (it's a red wyvern), saying, with some rather nice and out of character animation, "You know what? I just realized I don't care". So really, it would mostly only be of any inherent interest to the subsection of you all who play Monster Hunter.

Truly I have not wasted so much time in a long while.

On the other hand, I did manage to amass a rather nice catalog of other memes I had failed to save earlier, one of which I will shortly present to you instead of the unfunny one I failed to find.

And with that, I'm going to leave you hanging.

Squiggy Azalea

a goode boy
🎇Contributor
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 20, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Electric, Grass
Pokédex Entry
pizza pasta mamma mia
a dustox solo, hmm? good luck: you will need tons of it!

i think the best way to improve your dustox's bulk imo is to EV train it in HP, that way your bulk is improved on both attacking sides!

though you have reached the point where you won't be able to return to the HP ev training spots like viridian forest and route 3... hopefully you'll still be able to EV train by the time you reach vermilion!

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 11, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them/their
Pokémon Type
Water, Ghost
Good day, citizen!
I really want to adopt this as a greeting now. It's great.

The key to the run! You may have noticed the healing item limit in the rules. This is how I plan to overcome it.
Yes, the Moonlight strat! It helped carry you all the way to the top last time; glad to see it returning.

I'm pretty sure Magnemite is the only steel type Kanto will throw at me. Good.
Kanto is very obliging with its lack of dark- and steel-types, given the moveset available to Dustox.

Hehehe... The fool didn't even know that Kanto has no authorities!
Haha. Harsh, but true.

My policy is moth
What more do you need, really.

PREPARED TO BE MOTH'D
Soon, all of Kanto will know what it is to be moth'd!

Good, burned a potion on the weaker mon.
Yup, yup, good start...

And it is at about this moment that I realize that my strongest move is not very effective!
Oh. Yeah, I was wondering what you were planning to do about that. Well, I guess now I know.

Alright, we'll just have to power through it with gust!

I SEE
Ouch.

Just a little more!

Ouch. But hey, this is fine! You've got this! It's just another war of attrition, like with Wallace's Milotic and others! No big deal.

Thus I use my only heal to heal my heals
Haha. Excellent phrasing. And you've clearly still got your priorities in order, earlier misstep notwithstanding.

And then, rather suddenly, I had an epiphany. Why don't I use protect to stall out Water Pulse's PP?
Yes! Good! The strategy is really coming together!

I really should have had that idea sooner.

I am a disgrace to Morgan's tactician lineage.
Hey now. Don't be so hard on yourself. You're just getting back into the swing of things.

Keep stalling because there's no such thing as playing it too safe!
Not when you only have one Pokémon, that's for sure.

I did eventually win though. I was one salty boy after that one. In fact, I'm still salty about it, and find every excuse to complain about it, as I am currently doing. Did I mention that every single round took a minute and a half to go through because it had to display the water absorb popup 20 times? That battle took more than 40 minutes.
Ow. Even considering the patience you've shown with your stalling tactics, that is excruciatingly long. That's rough, dude.

VICTORY IS MINE!
I can only imagine how immensely glad you were that it was over, after all that. Congrats!

In my fight, Starmie never used Recover. Never. I almost certainly would have lost if it had started using it. This is something I should have checked before going into the fight, and I'm a fool for not doing so. I just risked the whole run by not doing my research!

Well... A miracle just happened.
In that case, let's give thanks for the AI's mercy, so that this run may live and grow into its full and glorious potential!

yard candy
Hah.

flashes back to literally 3 minutes ago

You can't prove anything!
Hahaha.

Heal up for safety's sake before cleaning up...
That poor Abra. He just exists as a pit stop between Pokémon that can actually fight. But hey, if your rival's willing to give you a free turn like that, why not take it, right?

*nods* Ah yes, a quality meme. Very good.

Erberor

The Feelstabber
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Psychic, Rock
Pokédex Entry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Squiggy Azalea Oh, you're right about the HP training... I did that in Hoenn, but I had the benefits of early access to the Macho Brace and the Whismur cave. Still, I should go and do that next time I pick up the gameplay. Thanks for the suggestion, and for reading!

@songwithnosoul Thanks for the comment, I really appreciate you stopping by!
Now, when I said "a minimum of one update a week" I definitely meant "one update per calendar week", which means this still works, because I posted the last one on Sunday the 22nd, and this one late on Saturday the 5th, so it still works!

Although I'm pretty sure that breaks down for most time zones!

Anyway, let's get on with it.

Okay

Well that was easy.

Sigh...

Look, you're doing this all wrong. You can't just walk up to someone and ask if they want to get into organized crime! You have to condition them... Find someone who's desperate for money, and offer him a simple job, maybe just unloading a shipment or something, and pay him REALLY well. Then you give him progressively larger deals, eventually getting him entangled with you. Ideally, he'll only figure out who you are when you've already got several means of blackmailing him. If it works really well, he'll just transition into a life of crime and thuggery without a word, too timid or stupid to leave. Then you've got a recruit.

No.

Quite sure. Theft is baaaaaad

Don't make yourself look desperate... nobody is going to join you because you begged.

Nah

Well, let's get this over with.

That is not a high bar.

"Please join our brutal criminal empire, we have great career prospects!"

Really not getting anything too useful in the berry department. Then again, the only berries I really care about are Sitrus, Lum, and Leppa

I did, however, find this.

Ah, FireRed, the game that established that TMs work by smacking a CD onto a mon's face.

You, know, there are a lot of jokes that could be made here.

A lot of them have been made.

And I just don't have anything to add to that.

So I'm just going to skip ahead.

Well, it was forward thinking of him to see the need for this. Sure hope it works as intended, lest we end up with some twisted Clefairy abomination

Yeehah, pardner.

Why does everyone keep thinking I care about all this Pokedex business?

I am here to CONQUER.

A cruise ship? Now? I don't have time to take a vacation, I have like, 6 or 7 regions left to crush beneath by the might of the MOTH!

Well, I suppose I could always just ransack the boat.

Wait a minute, I thought there weren't any authorities in Kanto?

You don't say

You say "POLICE FORCE" in all caps like that means something.

There is exactly one of you. I just checked online, there are no mentions of any police officers anywhere in Kanto but right here. I mean, sure, there are gate guards that use the same sprites, but come on, those are just security guards.

You are one guy. You are not a "POLICE FORCE"

One police officer, and he's incompetent.

Fortunately there is an inexhaustible supply of protagonists available to fight crime.

Unfortunately, there's not really any way for me to imprison you, and I can't just let you go...

How well can you swim?

Won't be seeing him again soon.

Aw yeah ground candy

I know... It's tragic, isn't it?

Why haven't new games just brought back the VS Seeker? Why does Gamefreak keep taking away the ability to rematch trainers? I mean... really, why? We're already perfectly capable of grinding to the point where challenge fades into oblivion on wilds, why not just let us train on trainers? Is it an economy thing, where they don't want people getting too much cash? Come on. Really? I can't remember the last time I actually ran out of money past the second gym or so. And if it's that much of an issue, just make rematches give no money, or reduced money, or something, just let me grind, dammit!

Anyone else remember that wonderful grind to fight Red? Wasn't that fun?

Alright, that's quite enough whining. I found some magnets east of Vermilion, and they definitely put up a fight. Nothing Morgan couldn't handle, though.

Touch the rock of escape for good luck...

And let's raid a ship!

Ah, how many dreams have been dashed across these waters?
How many have heard, wondered and been compelled to seek the greatest prize of all?
We all hear the stories. We all wondered.
And all of us searched for the distant beginning of it all.

But our dreams were nothing but, only gossamer threads of hope cast out into these very waters.
There was nothing for us to find but truth.
Truth that burned us with our own hope,
For truth is relentless and uncaring. It showed all of what was really there.

And it was just a heckin' truck.

Come on, come on, come on, come on

DANGIT

Don't mind me

Just digging through the trash for berries.

Dum de dum

What? Are you kidding me? You can't just stick a triangle on the front of something and call it hydrodynamic! You've got to ease into the sides of the hull, or else you're going to get a huge amount of drag from the eddies forming at the junction! I don't actually know what I'm talking about, and I'm just trying to apply what little I know about fluid dynamics, and while I'm pretty sure I'm correct, I don't know for sure and am thus throwing this in as a disclaimer!

Come on, who designed this crap?

Silver Wind is the only bug move Dustox can learn in Gen 3, and at 60 BP and 5 PP, it is not at all worth it!

여보! Butter!

Today I learned you can copy Korean text right into a post.

Were you?

Of course you weren't.

Oh snap this is fourth rival battle in three chapters

And he still thinks he can win!

literally has a flashback to the 40-some dead wurmples from the start of the run as this is being written

Alright, well... Fine.

I'm really scared that someday, this bird is going to successfully cripple Morgan's accuracy, and kill the run. I hate accuracy debuffs.

But not today!

BONK

And so we come back to this, like a moth to the flame...

I am not sorry.

YOU FOOL

And then I missed...

There it is.

The ever infamous Raticate. You are not long for this team, my friend... Butter's going to replace you.

That... Morgan's really starting to hit hard.

BAM

I have to congratulate you, Butter.

You did alright. FOR A DAIRY PRODUCT

So, let me tell you a story about moths and smells.

So in my main run, I was writing a bit where scent comes up, specifically for tracking something, and I found myself with an interesting situation. How good is a moth's sense of smell? Do they even have a sense of smell? This was of some importance in my head because the other character in the scene, an Arbok gijinka, was explaining how she hunts by smell, and I wanted to know if Valna, the most excellent and flawless Dustox gijinka, would be able to keep up in terms of smelling. I already knew that most snakes have a really good sense of smell that they use to hunt, so I went looking for info about moth sniffers.

And... Well... It turns out that moths have an alarmingly keen sense of smell. A lot of what I read said that they could detect the pheromones of potential mates from miles away. Scents practically define a moth's perceptions. Dangers, nesting grounds, food, it's all smells to them (though many species of moths do not posses mouths in adulthood, and basically exist simply to find a mate and die, and... Oh. Oh my. I have another story. I'll... I'll get to that later).

Except, of course, for the overriding visual sensation that is LÄMP

And you know what? I really should have researched this earlier. Because I should have given my main character incredible smelling powers, and now I weep for this missed opportunity.

Now, let's get back to business.

Alright, I know just the trick!

WHACK

Alright, so I might have gotten thrown off the ship for accidentally knocking out the captain, but I did manage to nab the cut HM before they got me.

Good thing there's only one police officer in the country, or else I'd have been charged with assault!

Alright, I wasn't sure where to put this story, but I have to tell it. I can't wait any longer.

Back in high school, I was in the marching band. In my freshman year, we had this one instructor who... Well he was a little odd, but nothing that really stood out. Not until... Not until...

Not until the "Mate and DIe" speech.

He pulled the whole band aside one day, and began talking to use about butterflies. You see, for reasons I won't explain, our school had a strong association with a certain butterfly, so I guess this instructor decided to use this as the basis of his grand speech. He talked about how butterflies will migrate thousands of miles, flying every day for months, and when they reach their destination... They mate and die. And he kept going on about this. It was supposed to be an analogy about the band, because we all work hard for months and months, all to perform for a few minutes at each of the competitions, and then it's over. But... He just kept dragging it on, mate and die, mate and die, he kept saying it, and every time he did it got weirder. I remember just standing there all confused as he rambled on about how we needed to give it our all, but the message was lost on all of us. Mate and die. That's all we left with. Mate and die.

That instructor wasn't there the next year. I never saw him after finals of that first year. And yet, everyone who was present for that speech remembers him. He was the mate and die guy. Thus he would forever be known.

Anyway, after finally making it through 13 some digletts I couldn't run away from, I emerged from the tunnel and realized I forgot to bring my tree cutting rodent.

For the next run I bought some repels.

Nope!

Oh

Um...

I have four?

Now, what I should have done at this point was to go into viridian forest and beat up 200 or so Caterpie to max out my HP EVs, like Squiggy Azalea suggested. However, I did not think to do so at the time I was playing, which means I'm going to have to come back later.

Does... does he just... chew through the tree?

Come on...

I hate this gym puzzle.

Probably because it's not actually a puzzle, it's just a game of chance.

Hey, second try! Good!

So, here are my stats going into this.

I don't know that any of this is all that meaningful, but I'm showing you anyway.

I ran some calculations on Surge's team just to be sure, but in all honesty, nothing on his team really threatens Morgan. His hardest hitting move is going to be sonicboom... There is, however, the possibility of getting stunlocked by paralysis, or Raichu getting evadehax going, but those are really the only scenarios where this could go wrong.

Yes, well if the game is to be believed, I'm ten. Of course I'm weak. I'm a child.

Only that doesn't matter when I'm packing THE ALL-MIGHTY MOTH!

Ah, yes the ever ominous war. As far as I know, you are the only person to mention it in this entire game. Who was it with? Who won? Why in the nine hecks did Gamefreak decide to make you canonically American?

Also, according to the Fame Checker, you were a pilot? So I guess you dangled your Raichu out the window and thunderboltedd the other fighters?

Or were you flying a bomber? In that case it's a much simpler matter of dropping Voltorbs from the heavens.

Let's do this!

No self destruct to worry about, so this should be smooth sailing.

Wow... A whole 16 damage. On a crit.

Yes, yes, waste your potions on the sphere!

WHAT'S THAT ABOUT PARALYSIS IN THE WAR?

WHAT NOW, SURGE?

Boom.

Nothing to it.

See, this is where things might get complicated.

This could get ugly

Alright, don't heal, don't heal...

Well, not taking a lot of damage, but I'm still nervous.

Here we go! OH BOY! EVASION!

Yes!

WOW ELECTRICITY PUNS OH WOW

And there we have it! Until next time (which will, in fact, be within 7 days of the release of this post)

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 11, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them/their
Pokémon Type
Water, Ghost

Quite sure. Theft is baaaaaad
Ha. I enjoy your heavy sarcasm/condescension in talking to this guy.

That is not a high bar.
I mean, you already have a better idea of how to run a criminal empire than Giovanni does. And you're about to beat his butt with a moth three times. So this guy does have a point, he just doesn't think much of your sense of self-worth.

"Please join our brutal criminal empire, we have great career prospects!"
Like I said, I'm really enjoying your snarking.

Ah, FireRed, the game that established that TMs work by smacking a CD onto a mon's face.
Heh.

Why does everyone keep thinking I care about all this Pokedex business?
It's like they haven't even read the thread title!

Unfortunately, there's not really any way for me to imprison you, and I can't just let you go...

How well can you swim?
I think perhaps that recruiter guy wasn't entirely wrong about you...

Aw yeah ground candy
First yard candy, now ground candy! Maybe the stuff really does grow on trees in Kanto.

And it was just a heckin' truck.
Hahaha. I like how all the buildup just ends in that. Just as abrupt and surprising as having your dreams of a Mew dashed after all that work.

And he still thinks he can win!

literally has a flashback to the 40-some dead wurmples from the start of the run as this is being written

Alright, well... Fine.
Ah, see, but they weren't Dustox yet. Most of them weren't even destined to evolve into one! Totally not the same!

Ha. Great sound effect.

Except, of course, for the overriding visual sensation that is LÄMP
LÄMP is great. Almost as great as a Dustox, for the name alone.

Alright, I know just the trick!

WHACK

Alright, so I might have gotten thrown off the ship for accidentally knocking out the captain, but I did manage to nab the cut HM before they got me.
Hahaha.

That instructor wasn't there the next year. I never saw him after finals of that first year. And yet, everyone who was present for that speech remembers him. He was the mate and die guy. Thus he would forever be known.
Yeah, that's not the sort of thing you forget. I had this theory in high school that all music teachers were some variety of weird, that it was just in the nature of people who take the job, but even by that standard this would stand out.

I have four?
Oh, yeah, this item gating... the bane of many a Nuzlocker, especially ones with a ruleset like yours. It looks like LÄMP will be out of work unless you can get six more registered... on the plus side, it's not like you're gonna need an Exp. Share anyway!

Also, according to the Fame Checker, you were a pilot? So I guess you dangled your Raichu out the window and thunderboltedd the other fighters?
I sure hope he did, because that's a fantastic image.

Here we go! OH BOY! EVASION!

Yes!
After the frustration of the last few updates, I'm glad that luck swung your way this time and this gym was relatively quick!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)