• New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Happy new forum! We decided this was a golden opportunity for us to feature a fresh new imported run!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes recieving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our new Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • The second episode of Nuzlocke City Radio is here! Tune in for our discussion on the history and analysis of gijinkas, catch up on the biggest forum news, and we finally settle the score between Team Aqua and Team Magma in The Debatelockers!

Driving Tin Cans

Thread Description
Documenting my competitive Gran Turismo experience.

Obelisk

D O G
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric
Pokédex Entry
Eccentric 'locker obsessed with Magikarp.
Hi all,

If the title isn't super clear, this is just a blog about me dabbling in/committing to competitive racing in Gran Turismo. For those who aren't aware, Gran Turismo is a wildly popular series of racing simulators that started in 1998 and is currently on its seventh entry, Gran Turismo Sport. I've been a passionate fan of the franchise ever since I first got my hands on the first two entries in the early 2000s. Since 2014, just playing the game hasn't been giving me the satisfaction it did before then, so I decided to spice things up and start working on getting myself to a competitive level in the game to have a shot of being an eSports driver of some kind.

If something doesn't make sense to anyone, don't be afraid to ask! I'll explain in the thread.

And that's what this thread is all about! I'm documenting past/current/future events and results, plus discussing a few things with each new event I come across. And the cars. Can't forget the cars. Interestingly enough, GT Sport has an official eSports championship that's produced some pretty wild racing, so I'd like to get in on that soon! That's my goal here - to get up there and race with the best in the world.

Let's start with what's already under my belt:

Global Rally Championship (2016 - hosted by Harsk100 on GTPlanet.net, Gran Turismo 6)
Round 1: 1° Rali de Portugal
Round Position: 24th

Round 2: 1° Rally of United Kingdom
Round Position: 17th

(In the 1st and 2nd rounds, I remember that I was in a 1998 Mini Cooper. I switched to a Suzuki SX4 Pikes Peak.)

Round 3: 1° Giro d'Italia
Round: 7th

(I switched again to a Toyota ST205 Celica WRC car. Why I did this is beyond me)

Round 4: 1° Rali Angolano

(Switched back to the SX4 here. Looking at the thread for this, I recall my team deciding to try and shoot for the top instead of puttering around in different cars.)

Round 5: 1st South African Rally
Round: 5th

Round 6: 1ère Rallye du Senegal

Round 7: 1st Rally America
Round: 2nd

(Round 7 was a one-off with the fastest car in the game in an attempt to break the rally leader's win streak. Oh well.)

Round 8: 1st Canadian Rally
Round: 6th

Round 9: 1° Rali do Brazil
Round: 4th

Round 10: 1° Rallye de Mexico
Round: 18th (a/n: 18th out of 90 entries)

Round 11: 1st Barbados Rally
Round: 3rd

Round 12: 1° Rallye de Argentina
Round: 12th

Round 13: 1st Japan Rally

Round 14: 1st China Rally

Round 15: 1st Rally Australia
Final overall position: 5th

Global Rally Championship (2017 - Hosted by Harsk100 on GTPlanet.net, Gran Turismo 6)
Round 1: 2nd Rali de Portugal

Round 2: 1. Adac Rallye Deutschland
Round: 2nd

Round 3: 1st Greek Rally

Round 4: 2nd Giro D'Italia

Round 5: 1ere Rallye de Monaco

Round 6: 2nd Rally Japan

Round 7: 1ere Rallye de Suisse

Round 8: 1st Swedish Rally
Final Overall: 4th

There was an attempt at the 2018 championship (rebranded as International Rally Championship), but that fizzled out after my one race net a 5th place finish.

International Rally Championship - (2019, hosted by Harsk100 on GTPlanet.net, GT Sport)
I entered this one mid-season because I wanted to get back into the swing of things racing-wise. Long story short, I tried to experiment and join a small community for a different kind of racing niche. That didn't go well. So I'm back on this stuff again! They restructured the regulations so there are only four car categories to choose from - R1 (500+ horsepower, Group B rally cars), and R2 (349 HP max), R3 (249 HP max) and R4 (149 HP max). I elected to enter in an R2 class 2015 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Final Edition.

Round 6: Italian Rally
Round Finish: 12th
Overall: 29th
In-Class Position: 2nd

Round 7: American Rally (Ongoing as of this OP being written and posted, will end 21 July, 2019)
Round: TBD
Overall: TBD
In-Class Position: TBD

So, aside from any responses asking for clarification or explanation on anything, my next post here will have my run for the ongoing round and some discussion on the difficulty I've had with preparing the car/set-up for this.

Last edited:

Vivace

Designated Meganium Defender
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Brave
Pronouns
He/Him (They/Them is fine too)
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Fighting, Rock
Pokédex Entry
The Lad Pokemon, Vivace's main powers are photoshop and chatting shit. Manages the unofficial nuzlocke football team.
I've seen some of your videos on this, and it's always a treat to watch! Good luck, don't spin out :partytime:

Obelisk

D O G
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric
Pokédex Entry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you! As you'll see, no spinning out here. :)

I just completed and submitted the times for Round 7 of the International Rally Championship and updated the OP a bit. A metric I forgot to note when making the OP originally was tracking how I was doing in class compared to my peers. Since I registered in R2, I'm tracking my finish relative to the other R2 drivers. That's what the In-Class Position line is for in the OP.

Anyways, here's the run for Round 7:

There were a couple of mistakes in this run, particularly on the last lap going into Turn 8 (the left hand turn after the small jump about 0:39 in lap 6 / 8:41 in the video). The problem with going wide like that is I add a lot of unnecessary time into the lap that I need to burn off by the end, and it sets me up poorly for the turn immediately after that. Other than that, my laps were mostly consistent after the first two.

This track was pretty tricky to tune for when it comes to the suspension - the surface is uneven and there are a lot of jumps and awkward angles on the corners that made the car's weight transfer awful. To account for the uneven surface, I had to increase the stiffness of compression (the springs resisting being compressed) and soften the rebound (the strength of the spring when returning to normal) to let the car absorb the hits and maintain as much mechanical grip as possible on the dirt. I'm not fully clear on how it works, but it was a recommendation made by a friend who's well-versed on these things.

I don't know where I am on the standings right now, but I will have an idea based on how things pan out. My biggest worry is the guy who won in-class in the previous round - a guy running a Stratos who was a solid second ahead of me in total time. During practice, my fastest lap was a 1:29.9. As I was reviewing the time, I realized I had some room to work with and decided to ask my friend to run an approximate of what the Stratos guy is running. Sure enough, they ran a 1.29.6 after very little time. At this time, I was running very soft compression and rebound, so I think I was losing time due to the car itself not having enough grip to keep up with my inputs.

I'm just thankful I ran the 1:29.5 during the session. I'll update in here once I know or hear anything about my results.

Last edited:

Obelisk

D O G
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric
Pokédex Entry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey everyone - the round has come and gone, and the results are in!

...And I was only driver this round to enter in R2 class, so I guess I win in-class by default. I finished 7th overall, and all of the cars finishing in 1st to 6th and 8th to 16th place are R1 class cars so I guess I did ridiculously well. The next round is on a track I've learned to despise deeply, a short oval with an excessively large chicane right at the end. The game calls it Kyoto - Miyabi and we're supposed to do at least eight laps around it.

The problem here is that tarmac really amplifies the performance difference between R1 and the other classes, since the R1 cars are given racing tires while R2-R4 are given the hardest (and lowest grip) sports tires available...Not to mention a 150 horsepower difference between the fastest R2 builds and the R1 cars. I'm only hoping I beat out at least one R1 car here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)