Driving Tin Cans

Thread Description
Documenting my competitive Gran Turismo experience.

Obelisk

D O G
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric
Pokédex Entry
Eccentric 'locker obsessed with Magikarp.
Hi all,

If the title isn't super clear, this is just a blog about me dabbling in/committing to competitive racing in Gran Turismo. For those who aren't aware, Gran Turismo is a wildly popular series of racing simulators that started in 1998 and is currently on its seventh entry, Gran Turismo Sport. I've been a passionate fan of the franchise ever since I first got my hands on the first two entries in the early 2000s. Since 2014, just playing the game hasn't been giving me the satisfaction it did before then, so I decided to spice things up and start working on getting myself to a competitive level in the game to have a shot of being an eSports driver of some kind.

If something doesn't make sense to anyone, don't be afraid to ask! I'll explain in the thread.

And that's what this thread is all about! I'm documenting past/current/future events and results, plus discussing a few things with each new event I come across. And the cars. Can't forget the cars. Interestingly enough, GT Sport has an official eSports championship that's produced some pretty wild racing, so I'd like to get in on that soon! That's my goal here - to get up there and race with the best in the world.

Let's start with what's already under my belt:

Global Rally Championship (2016 - hosted by Harsk100 on GTPlanet.net, Gran Turismo 6)
Round 1: 1° Rali de Portugal
Round Position: 24th

Round 2: 1° Rally of United Kingdom
Round Position: 17th

(In the 1st and 2nd rounds, I remember that I was in a 1998 Mini Cooper. I switched to a Suzuki SX4 Pikes Peak.)

Round 3: 1° Giro d'Italia
Round: 7th

(I switched again to a Toyota ST205 Celica WRC car. Why I did this is beyond me)

Round 4: 1° Rali Angolano

(Switched back to the SX4 here. Looking at the thread for this, I recall my team deciding to try and shoot for the top instead of puttering around in different cars.)

Round 5: 1st South African Rally
Round: 5th

Round 6: 1ère Rallye du Senegal

Round 7: 1st Rally America
Round: 2nd

(Round 7 was a one-off with the fastest car in the game in an attempt to break the rally leader's win streak. Oh well.)

Round 8: 1st Canadian Rally
Round: 6th

Round 9: 1° Rali do Brazil
Round: 4th

Round 10: 1° Rallye de Mexico
Round: 18th (a/n: 18th out of 90 entries)

Round 11: 1st Barbados Rally
Round: 3rd

Round 12: 1° Rallye de Argentina
Round: 12th

Round 13: 1st Japan Rally

Round 14: 1st China Rally

Round 15: 1st Rally Australia
Final overall position: 5th

Global Rally Championship (2017 - Hosted by Harsk100 on GTPlanet.net, Gran Turismo 6)
Round 1: 2nd Rali de Portugal

Round 2: 1. Adac Rallye Deutschland
Round: 2nd

Round 3: 1st Greek Rally

Round 4: 2nd Giro D'Italia

Round 5: 1ere Rallye de Monaco

Round 6: 2nd Rally Japan

Round 7: 1ere Rallye de Suisse

Round 8: 1st Swedish Rally
Final Overall: 4th

There was an attempt at the 2018 championship (rebranded as International Rally Championship), but that fizzled out after my one race net a 5th place finish.

International Rally Championship - (2019, hosted by Harsk100 on GTPlanet.net, GT Sport)
I entered this one mid-season because I wanted to get back into the swing of things racing-wise. Long story short, I tried to experiment and join a small community for a different kind of racing niche. That didn't go well. So I'm back on this stuff again! They restructured the regulations so there are only four car categories to choose from - R1 (500+ horsepower, Group B rally cars), and R2 (349 HP max), R3 (249 HP max) and R4 (149 HP max). I elected to enter in an R2 class 2015 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Final Edition.

Round 6: Italian Rally
Round Finish: 12th
Overall: 29th
In-Class Position: 2nd

Round 7: American Rally (Ongoing as of this OP being written and posted, will end 21 July, 2019)
Round: TBD
Overall: TBD
In-Class Position: TBD

So, aside from any responses asking for clarification or explanation on anything, my next post here will have my run for the ongoing round and some discussion on the difficulty I've had with preparing the car/set-up for this.

Last edited:

Vivace

Designated Meganium Defender
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Brave
Pronouns
He/Him (They/Them is fine too)
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Fighting, Rock
Pokédex Entry
The Lad Pokemon, Vivace's main powers are photoshop and chatting shit. Manages the unofficial nuzlocke football team.
I've seen some of your videos on this, and it's always a treat to watch! Good luck, don't spin out :partytime:

Obelisk

D O G
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric
Pokédex Entry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you! As you'll see, no spinning out here. :)

I just completed and submitted the times for Round 7 of the International Rally Championship and updated the OP a bit. A metric I forgot to note when making the OP originally was tracking how I was doing in class compared to my peers. Since I registered in R2, I'm tracking my finish relative to the other R2 drivers. That's what the In-Class Position line is for in the OP.

Anyways, here's the run for Round 7:

There were a couple of mistakes in this run, particularly on the last lap going into Turn 8 (the left hand turn after the small jump about 0:39 in lap 6 / 8:41 in the video). The problem with going wide like that is I add a lot of unnecessary time into the lap that I need to burn off by the end, and it sets me up poorly for the turn immediately after that. Other than that, my laps were mostly consistent after the first two.

This track was pretty tricky to tune for when it comes to the suspension - the surface is uneven and there are a lot of jumps and awkward angles on the corners that made the car's weight transfer awful. To account for the uneven surface, I had to increase the stiffness of compression (the springs resisting being compressed) and soften the rebound (the strength of the spring when returning to normal) to let the car absorb the hits and maintain as much mechanical grip as possible on the dirt. I'm not fully clear on how it works, but it was a recommendation made by a friend who's well-versed on these things.

I don't know where I am on the standings right now, but I will have an idea based on how things pan out. My biggest worry is the guy who won in-class in the previous round - a guy running a Stratos who was a solid second ahead of me in total time. During practice, my fastest lap was a 1:29.9. As I was reviewing the time, I realized I had some room to work with and decided to ask my friend to run an approximate of what the Stratos guy is running. Sure enough, they ran a 1.29.6 after very little time. At this time, I was running very soft compression and rebound, so I think I was losing time due to the car itself not having enough grip to keep up with my inputs.

I'm just thankful I ran the 1:29.5 during the session. I'll update in here once I know or hear anything about my results.

Last edited:

Obelisk

D O G
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric
Pokédex Entry
Hey everyone - the round has come and gone, and the results are in!

...And I was only driver this round to enter in R2 class, so I guess I win in-class by default. I finished 7th overall, and all of the cars finishing in 1st to 6th and 8th to 16th place are R1 class cars so I guess I did ridiculously well. The next round is on a track I've learned to despise deeply, a short oval with an excessively large chicane right at the end. The game calls it Kyoto - Miyabi and we're supposed to do at least eight laps around it.

The problem here is that tarmac really amplifies the performance difference between R1 and the other classes, since the R1 cars are given racing tires while R2-R4 are given the hardest (and lowest grip) sports tires available...Not to mention a 150 horsepower difference between the fastest R2 builds and the R1 cars. I'm only hoping I beat out at least one R1 car here.

Obelisk

D O G
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric
Pokédex Entry
Man, I'm really late on updating this thread, huh?

Anyways, round 8 has come and gone and my theory in the last post:
The problem here is that tarmac really amplifies the performance difference between R1 and the other classes, since the R1 cars are given racing tires while R2-R4 are given the hardest (and lowest grip) sports tires available...Not to mention a 150 horsepower difference between the fastest R2 builds and the R1 cars.
This was very much dead-on. I wasn't able to get the replay recorded for this, unfortunately, but I do have the results right here.

So I ended up finishing in 12th overall, despite the extreme effort I went to to offset the performance gap between my dinky little Lancer and the rally cars. I went as far as to set the car's AYC (Active Yaw Control - a type of torque vectoring unique to Mitsubishi) to its highest, most aggressive setting! For reference, the game defaults the AYC setting to about 30, the lowest setting in the game. My Lancer's AYC was pushed all the way to 130 just so I could squeeze a few tenths of a second out of the corners. Funnily enough, that decision paid off in spades - my fastest times were about a half second to a full second faster on the track. Speaking of the track, check this link out for a map and some info/videos on the layout we took on.

That said, the next round starts next Monday, and the group is going back to the dirt - on the longest dirt track in the game, complete with massive elevation changes and complex corners (including a couple of hairpins so sharp they'd make a needle blush). And it's all tied together by some very high-speed sections in between. This ought to be an interesting experience, and I'm hoping I can embarrass some more R1 cars in the next round.

Speaking of the Evo, I got to use it in one of the online Sport Mode races in what I consider to be a very impressive chase around the track. It's a simple race in concept - everyone brings their 2015 Lancer Evo and we all race one lap. Sounds easy enough, right? The track is 12.92 miles long and features 87 corners. Not to mention that you're between 60-120 MPH (about 100-200 KMH) for most of it! Check it out:

If you guys have any questions about anything in the thread, feel free to ask!

Obelisk

D O G
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric
Pokédex Entry
So, I finally did it. I finally entered an eSports event like I wanted to.

I entered Round 1 of the first stage of the FIA Gran Turismo Championships on Wednesday, which was a 15 lap event on Nurburgring GP with a 10 minute qualifier. In my group of 19, I qualified 13th and finished 8th pretty cleanly.

Video here:

So a couple of things I want to break down here:
Issues during the event
Aside from the obvious crash during the qualifier, I had some minor issues that kept me back from doing better. The biggest one was my unwillingness to pit during the qualifier - you're supposed to swap out the tires about every 3 laps or so you can hit your fastest times more than once. I didn't do that in this quali (mainly bc i didn't know) so it bit me in the butt when it came down to the position I qualified for.

The bump pass at 17:50
This one I really don't know how to explain. It was entirely unintentional and I was trying to get by him on the inside as he was going wide and slow at that turn. I'm surprised the game didn't hit me with an SR (sportsmanship rating) penalty.

Anyways, round 2 is tomorrow night! It's going to be the Group 2 cars (read: brutally fast) on a very short and fast track, so I need to practice tonight and all day tomorrow so I can do well. It's a 27 lap race, and my car of choice can run 21 laps on a single tank so I'm thinking my strategy here would be to run the faster tires and only refuel once I get critically low.

Obelisk

D O G
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric
Pokédex Entry
Round 2 came and went and I refuse to share the video footage for the time being. You'll know why in a sec.

So round 2 was the Super GTs (marked as Gr. 2 in-game) at Blue Moon Bay - Infield A. These are very fast cars on a very fast track, so I had to dump three days of practice into it. And it took me up until 15 minutes prior to the race itself to get consistent enough to put up a fight.

Qualifier comes and goes without a problem. I qualified 4th of 20 drivers with a solid 1:02.7 laptime (fastest driver in-lobby was 1:02.2) and felt pretty confident going into the race. I had come up with a strategy for tires and gas: stick with Medium tires and refill on the first stop only.

Why? Well, the medium tires are a second faster per lap than the hard tires and you only lose one lap per set of tires in exchange (9 laps per set vs 10) so I was able to run a two-pit strategy for the race. 27 laps, you'd figure it'd work out.

Things went wrong. The race started off excellently, with a long chase around the first five laps as the pack spread out. Over lap 6, minor errors in my racing line and tire wear gave the driver behind me ample opportunity to catch up by the start of lap 7. He was riding on my bumper and pressuring the hell out of me - and I cracked. I hesitated when trying to enter turn 4 and went wide, then stepped on the gas a bit too much and completely lost the back of the car and skidded across the track into the wall. Broke my front aero and right tire, but I l backed up and got back into the race in 10th place.

I spent the next few laps wrestling with two slower drivers in attempt after attempt to get past them, which resulted in an accidental minor collision when I was forced to try and squeeze in between them. Then, the very next corner, one of them divebombed me and knocked me off the line to get ahead, and then a third bout of contact on the very next corner when I managed to get a good line on him. There was also at some point someone coming across my front but that I don't remember the specifics of. Anyways, I managed to get clear of them and went right back to my plan. By the end of the race, I had managed to get back up to 7th and salvage some of the losses in the race.

The game gave me a 20 second penalty at the finish line, and never said why. I finished 11th because of it. Three other drivers got it, too!

I'm just embarrassed that I made such an amateur mistake and cost myself the race in the first place, but at the same time, the game screwed me with the mystery penalty. I just don't feel okay with sharing my failure outside of this text post.

Next week is a doozy, though. I've got three races - Round 9 of the rally and Rounds 3/4 of the FIA events.

Round 9 of the rally is at Fisherman's Ranch, which is a whopper of a dirt track with several jumps, more than a few trick corners and a high speed section that's got only one good line through it which is best described as "top speed inches from death".

Round 3 of the FIA event (Wednesday) is N300 cars (road cars with 249-349 HP) at Autodrome Lago Maggiore - East. This track's kinda fun and the N300 cars shouldn't be a messy ride like the Gr. 2 cars.

Round 4 of the FIA event (Saturday) is Gr. 1 cars at Dragon Trail - Seaside. This...might be problematic. Y'see, there's a chicane on the south end of the track that can only fit one car at a time. You can't go two-wide in there at all. One error and you're flying into a barrier at 130+ MPH! As for the cars? Group 1 cars are the Le Mans prototype cars from the last 30 years of the race (oldest model is 1988!) and they're...fast.

That'll be it for now. As usual, feel free to ask questions!

Obelisk

D O G
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric
Pokédex Entry
Hey, I'm back with a midweek update!

The rally round is still ongoing, but I posted my times under the watchful eye of the event organizer (which was a lot of undue pressure I didn't need). I'm currently sitting in 3rd place in the unofficial standings, ahead of a pack of Group B cars!

As for round 3 of the official FIA races, I won!

Now, I'll admit I was being a bit aggressive for the first five laps or so - I was trying to find an opening to get past the KTM. I guess I must have pressured him too much and he cracked coming out of turn 4 in like lap 4 or 5. The rest of the race was about building and maintaining a comfortable lead on the pack so I could deal with the tire wear without pressure. The KTM managed to fight back up to second and must've shredded his tires trying to keep pace since he got stuck at a 4 second gap.

I'm proud of that effort, considering that the F50 has pretty bad understeer...And that I managed the whole thing without running empty on gas.

So next round is tomorrow night, and it is far more nerve-wracking than I accounted for. Those Gr. 1 cars are *brutal* and the chicane of death is going to be a hazard at the speeds that are expected of the Gr.1s. For some idea of what I have to deal with, here (Chicane of death 0:58):

The lines are about the same as what I've gotten in testing, as a side note.

As usual, feel free to ask questions!

Obelisk

D O G
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric
Pokédex Entry
As of this moment, I have elected to leave the FIA tournament. No further comments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)