dnd dnd dnd dnd

Thread Description
matte rants about how much he loves his players and campaigns for like, way too long

Mattelonian

Aarakocra Illusion Wizard Extraordinaire
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 17, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Flying
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon appreciates all hugs, internet or otherwise.
hi my name's matte, i type like shit but i dm like good i hope maybe
i run 3 campaigns with... 13 people between them
all dnd 5e
it's not 4/4/5 like a reasonable person
it's 7/5/7

i use super heavy homebrew but that's not relevant if you're not playing, just don't get weird if some people have strange abilities (like erwin having a way bigger spell pool)

these campaigns are:
Tomb of Annihilation (heavily homebrewed postgame, we haven't hit it yet but foreshadowing shows it), featuring:
Kazuki, as Sebastion the warforged gunslinger fighter who uses strength and a shotgun
Malovich, as Erwin the warforged shadow monk
Adam, as Laius the halfling life cleric of lathander
Mike, as Henrietta the human celestial warlock of the chain of a greater unicorn
Mop, as Trugagh the loxodon wild sorcerer
Blue, as Flynn the human necromancy wizard (not inherently evil in my campaigns, necromancy animates corpses without touching the soul... for the most part)
EDIT: Revenant/Frostmourne (the admin), as Tolthrien the half-elf hunter revised ranger

also:
Squire, as Toby the grung rogue/ranger/monk and as Lotus, the tortle abjuration wizard, who left

Dungeon of the Mad Mage (i just use the book) featuring:
Kazuki, as Smite the celestial warlock of tymora and cleric of lathander
NO LONGER Malovich, as Marser the long death monk COZ HE DIED (and the player decided to leave this campaign)
Mop, as Chuckzikkiushki the lizardfolk paladin of lathander
Mr Hobo (yes, the nuzforums one) as Rada the tortle eldritch knight fighter
Menonono, as Syllyn the high elf divination wizard

Planeswalker campaign with no name yet (fully homebrew) featuring (stating only plane of origin):
Kazuki, as Someone in Every Campiagn
but actually as Jorona, the Fioran high elf transmutation wizard, who transmutes stuff better
Adam, as Irroc, the Tarkiran human storm giant soul sorcerer, who gets extra gust/gust of wind versatility
Squire, as Salazar the Ixalan...ian? (half) orc arcane trickster rogue (who casts with Cha)
Derwydd, as Sophia, the Therosian nyxborn human (aasimar) knowledge cleric of Kruphix who gets a single portent die
Air, as Nervlim the Zerzalian (homebrew plane) shadar-kai elf gloom stalker ranger and circle of twilight druid
Mr DM, as Darin the Ravnican vampire whispers bard (who casts with Int)
JML, as John the Innistradian human order cleric of... order, mtg doesn't really do patrons for clerics and paladins

i will likely reposti my reddit posts where i get way too excited about my campaigns here and then write them here from now on because GOD i fucking love my players

Last edited:

Mattelonian

Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 17, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Flying
Pokédex Entry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
post made on r/ToA so it assumes familiarity with that campaign, i would genuinely adore any and all questions about it tbh and would love to write up an explanation of each of my campaign's settings but not right now bc it's late
maybe tomorrow!

i was tempted to use proper capitalisation but i can't be bothered so it'll be sporadic
i think it's pretty universally agreed that standard orolunga is dull as shit. just do stuff wrong until you get it right and if you have eku she can just tell you the solution
i already had eku collect a parrot feather and the orange flowers though
so i decided to revise it in a pretty abstract fashion the ol' tried and true "show 'em a deep fear" trick and make 'em roll a wis save against madness based on how they reacted. the top of the ziggurat was accesible, and placing the feathers and flower on top of a dias carved with feathers and the flower caused a staircase in the dark to be opened up. they tried to use rope to connect them but the rope severed as they wandered into their fears.
i'll give you a tl;dr of each character as we go along because i genuinely still just want to rant about how it went because AAAA i'm so pumped still
nb: eku left just before reaching orolunga because she wanted to go do something else and told them how to enter, this is because god she's fucking broken and also she can't do the trial with them since... celestial
yes i have 7 players it's a nightmare i love
Laius, the halfling flaming fist cleric of lathander who joined the party after the rest of his squad died to a Z-rex trying to make it to camp vengeance, hence developed a fear of large creatures (I can't wait for Tinder). His player wasn't here, but the rundown I gave him was that Laius was being chased in a large space with little cover by a black dragon, and when he finally stood up to fight it, it vanished and a door appeared leading to the way out. He won the charm of dragon slaying.
Erwin, warforged shadow monk whose relevant backstory is that warforged in my setting have their matrices built around a 'shadowshard' aka a remnant of shar's magic following the spellplague. most warforged have one about the size of an sd card, it cannot be split into multiples, if cut the larger piece retains magic properties. Erwin has one the size of a fist in his head). So Erwin's greatest fear is the darkness inside his own head, which clearly means when he goes down the staircase he ends up walking an infinite darkness he can feel watching him the whole time for a bit. Ironically he fails his saving throw despite being a monk and ends up with temporary amnesia. (i gave them long term amnesia for 1d6 hours). He won a legendary scaling magic weapon (long other story).
Lotus, tortle abjuration wizard, is very much a Dr Alphys type and is extremely nervous, and as such her fear was being unable to help her friends. Her player was absent but they got briefed like Laius' player did. Lotus was in a combat encounter where her magic didn't work and she ended up being unable to save her friends until she wacked 'em with her staff, causing the door to appear and winning her a charm of heroism.
Trugagh is a neutral evil conman who i'd describe as "neutral pathetic" in that he just doesn't care about the consequences of his actions (like moist von lipwig if you know him). He has some major father issues, so his fear was his cop father clapping on his cop brother receiving a medal, and upon him trying to escape, being thrown in a cell for being a thief for a couple hours, whereupon he failed his saving throw and ended up shaking and with a nervous tic. He won a charm of animal summoning because god he needs friends. As an aside, hopefully this makes him a bit less of an asshole to the friends he's got (in game. his player's lovely)
Flynn... oof. Flynn's a human necromancy wizard pretending to be evocation. Not because necromancy is evil but because it's got a bad rep. In my worlds, corpse reanimation doesn't have to touch the soul unless the caster really wants it to. Flynn's in his late 20s, and he got married at 18 in a pre-arranged marriage in which both sides learnt to legitimately love each other. At which point, she dies in an experiment both because she walks in at the wrong time and flynn fucked up a little bit but between you and me it wasn't really anybody's fault. The fallout was she died and was unresurrectable due to her soul being kept in a weird limbo state due to the nature of the experiment.
However, orolunga drew his wife's soul from this limbo to talk to him. Which... wasn't the best idea if it wanted to spook him at all because his wife's a lovely person. An illusion might have guilted him but his actual wife just spent the time comforting him, catching up on life and generally talking. Eventually he moves past her, at her request, to move on through the door. He earnt a charm of vitality because he needs hp, he's a non-abjuration wizard.
Henrietta's a human celestial warlock of the chain, with her lizard slink (or onoel, if we're speaking celestial). She made her pact because she was a zhentarim spy in her youth and betrayed them, so her pact shields her from being found. She found in her stone room a study with an elven man who weirdly deeply unsettled her who said pretty much just "Found you". For some reason, she can't remember him. Between you and me I actually have no idea what I'm going to do with that but i have thoughts. She failed her save and became antipathetic( (is that a word?) towards the man so she's going to be having some nightmares. She got a charm of restoration because she's a designated healer.
Sebastian, designation BASTION-01, is a warforged gunslinger who was created to test the first firearms in the world. He's pretty much a baby warforged, so still very much lawful neutral law enforcing robot type. He really likes rules so he got to spend what was for him a week or so falling in a totally lawless void thinking upon his experiences and thoughts on morality. I actually just left this player monologuing to himself as I dealt with the others and he did it really interestingly! He made his saving throw and came to the eventual conclusion that morality is likely a better system of judgement than the laws of the area as laws can change but morality is more applicable universally, so he's going to try it out. He was ironically going to get the charm of feather falling but he sassed Saja N'baza too much and got kicked out before he received it.
So once they all get out of their own respective hells Saja did her typical discussion. Seb got angry (an emotion! from a baby warforged! character development!) that erwin didn't remember any of them and was actually being a bit of a prick (erwin learnt to not be a prick post-amnesia cut off point). He disrespected her and got kicked out with a geas to stop the curse for good measure. The others got their own respective charms and discussed a few questions with her, mainly where the source of the curse was (omu) and what else relevant (ras nsi is also there that traitorous shit go take him out). Most of them left content but she requested Erwin stay a little longer, and she cast greater restoration to restore his memory.
Erwin got to learn about the history of Ras Nsi and Mezro, and of the barae, who each have a weapon attributed to them that they left behind as their city vanished (i like magic weapons ok) and that finding at least some of the magic weapons will proooobably help fight ras nsi. Not since they're required but since they're just strong weapons. As such, he got gifted (since he's actually normally the responsible group adult) Mainu's weapon, the Runespear, a yklwa that stores magic inside of itself to be later released (so, darkness based spells). It also has the side effect of allowing him to come and go to Saja as he pleases since normally people get to visit once. She tells him that she's going to be trying to scry for the other weapons. One is in the hands of an older party member played by lotus' player who ran off after shit got a bit too real in terms of rp for the player and he prefered to swap to another only for the older party member to return at some point. The older party member, a grung rogue with a blowgun, was their first introduction to the weapons since the blowgun is actually a bow and the weapons change form to suit the wielder from a subset of weapons (the bow, for example, starts as a longbow but can be a shortbow, blowgun or light crossbow). Erwin tells her he knows this grung already and she thinks that'll make things easier. The other one she is aware of is currently in the hands of a golden grung bathing in a pool full of glowing fungi (so it's a dagger currently in the possession of Groak). Erwin then left and that's where we ended.
I'm so pumped that the whole fear thing actually worked out! Because my notes going into that was 3 words per character on general ideas lmao but they each made it work really well! Even though they don't know it i had a leitmotif of a small stone room as the default with it either having a door leading out for new locations (laius, lotus, trugagh), actually just being self-contained (flynn, henrietta) or getting darker and transforming into the trial (erwin, sebastian). Each interaction was separate from the other players but i think i managed it simultaneously pretty well (it's text based)! I'm also so hyped since i changed up the ToA story a big bit to make it last to level 20 (for example, the whole introduction and redo of the barae going to be a thing once ras nsi is killed, who is also now far stronger and likely going to be the replacement boss fight instead of acererak at the end of the tomb, since acererak is now cr 30).
I probably rambled way too much and nobody's going to read this but GOD i'm so HYPED to play some DND now and show people my cool shit! ahh!

Mattelonian

Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 17, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Flying
Pokédex Entry
Sebastian, Flynn, Henrietta, Trugagh, Toby, Laius or Erwin, stop reading.
Skip to the end bit if you don't want me gushing on my players and what's happened, the relevant bit regarding expanding Toa expansion will be prefaced with a bold statement, so skip to that if you just want to help the overall plot changes.
okay so as you can tell from above, i'm running 7 players. I'm also a first time dm, but i've been playing for a year and due to a love of character creation i know 5e's rules inside and out. The party dynamic is amazing because 6/7 of the players are incredibly experienced and are killing it and the new guy is giving it his all. They consist of:
  • Sebastian, the strength based juggernaut warforged soldier (shot)gunslinger (lawful neutral, uses erwin as a moral guide, testbot for guns in this world)
  • Erwin, the shadow monk scout warforged (haunted one, was a solider, left following his platoons death, weird shadow shit started happening to him, joined a monastery to control it, learnt how to deal with it and then syndra picked him up. ties into how warforged work in my world with a shard of shadowstone blah blah blah remnants of shar's magic blah blah give warforged sentience blah blah he has a lump 100x the size of a normal one in his head)
  • Flynn, the human noble necromancy wizard (party currently thinks he's evocation, his entire family does necromancy, they're not evil and necromancy isn't inherently evil in my world [undead aren't bound spirits unless they're chosen to be by the caster], there're just stereotypes and they'd rather avoid a scandal than just say the truth)
  • Henrietta, the human celestial warlock of the chain (lizard familiar, unicorn patron), ex-smuggler for the zhentarim YEARS ago (betrayed them and was chased for years, part of the unicorn pact is she cannot be scried on [scrying ON her fails, she's whitespace in other scries. planned to be an interesting dynamic with the coven who scry on the players]. She's now an old woman.)
  • Trugagh, the loxodon (they're a standard race in my setting) charlatan wild sorcerer (scam artist, syndra knew this and picked him FOR it but it does mean he doesn't scam the party [with the exception of toby but it's funny then bc toby cares little for money]
  • Toby, the grung anthropologist thief rogue (got kicked out years ago by groak because toby was raised to be indigo but loved playing with random toys so much he became a weird blue-indigo hybrid. escaped and lived in the sewers of nyanzaru for years, knows everything about human culture from waste, takes most of it seriously, is adorable)
  • Laius, halfling soldier life cleric of lathander (works for the flaming fist, had most of his squadron killed by the z-rex which the party saved him from by hiding, currently planning on helping the party get through vengeance without a charter but after orolunga plans to go grab a charter)
So far, we've had 4 sessions, and it's gone like this:
  1. Arrive, syndra sends them on their way, take salida as a guide (oof) grab 2 months of supplies, only have hired salida for a day, drop her because she's a bit rude about other guides, hire eku instead (thank fuck), meet toby after he tries to steal a thing, a trinket toby found tells him to join the party so he does, head out
  2. Decimate a buffed tiger encounter with ease (players started at level 3) before having a decent struggle with a giant snapping tortoise they fought because trugagh rolled a 3 for stealth and fell on his ass.
  3. Can't exactly remember what happened next but i think it was the z-rex encounter. basically the party hears screaming and stomping getting closer, and a halfling sprints past them at full pelt yelling "RUUUUUN" with a z-rex in close pursuit. Erwin cast pass without trace and after a few rounds they all managed to outwit the zombos and escape.
  4. See in the distance and scout out a skeleton filled camp righteous. I've now got the hang of balancing around 7 players, and as such there's 2 skeleton minotaurs and 14 skeletons. the players get a surprise round but at one point seb took a crit from a minotaur and fell, with the skeletons about to wack him for all his saves. Laius was nearby but not visible in general with a soon initiative count, but eku went right after and decided now was an emergency before revealing her couatl form, having an axe slide harmlessly off her snakelike scales, healing him up with cure wounds and spending the rest of the fight sanctuary casting seb and flynn. The players LOVED this. To prevent eku from becoming too strong though, i decided she's spent so long as a human guide that returning to her true form actually drains her, and she can only do it once per week for a length of combat. She can still cast her spells in human form, but regains them a day after a reversion from couatl.
and so, we're at where we are. The players are planning on heading into the Man and Crocodile puzzle next session and i plan on having the yellyark batiri kidnap somebody who doesn't go in, giving them reason to head to yellyark. The current plan is to head to mbala to help eku's mission (i gave nanny pu'pu the clan spellcasting except caps at level 6 spells to help combat the large number of players), head onto orolunga and from there... i dunno, the current idea is to grab a charter back up at fort beluarian (because they need to restock, it's currently taken 2/3 of a month but they basically doubled their eating bodies count so their 2 months of rations is actually only ~20 days left for the new bigger party (eku's create food and water is nerfed so she can only provide for herself, because much like goodberry, i think the survival spells can ruin a playstyle, see Zee Bashew's video on it).
Here's the big stuff I've done (properly capitalised too!):
  1. The campaign is planned to go up to level 20. Stuff progresses as normal until 11-12 when the tomb is completed, there is no final fight with Acererak. He's been made re-aware of this plane though, and he's coming back pissed and CR 30 (hard encounter for 7 level 20 pcs).
  2. I created 9 vestiges of the divergence (levelling magic items) a la critical role as sacred weapons given by Ubtao to his Barae. Each player roughly correlates to one of them, 2 players correlate roughly to 2 (Toby with a blowgun and a dagger to satisfy close and far combat, Laius with a spellcasting focus jewel and a paladin mace). They were wielded by the Barae before being left in Chult for worthy followers to attune to in a time of need for Chult, with a couple exceptions. You can find those here. Some of what's on the doc will be restated here if you can't be fucked to read it all. It also features some changed "gifts" for the Barae. Yes their naming and general thematics is based on the hearthstone weapons, I adapted them from the hs oneshot I initially made them for.
  3. Zelkoré was a Bara assassin rogue (ties into poisons and the weapon) with the gift of glamour (letting her make people fall in love with her), and has had her story changed. Instead of making a deal with an Erinyes for eternal youth, her immense, dangerous vanity was frowned upon by Ubtao who reversed her gift into a curse of medusadom and banished her. She is the only Barae who was actively banished as one, as Ubtao then left before Ras Nsi could be stripped of HIS gift of resurrection. She killed her love Thiru-taya with her sacred weapon thinking he was part of the ones who betrayed her, granting it the title of Kingsbane, before throwing it into a river upon her learning the truth of his faithfulness.
  4. There was another ex-Bara called Siliarc who was an aarakocra ancestral barbarian. His gift was that of Aid, allowing him constant telepathy with designated allies (he had to act as a go between if other people wanted to use him as a link) and gave him the ability to teleport to allies on the same plane. He asked Ubtao to retire and raise a family after years of service, and Ubtao obliged, stripping him of his power and immortality but leaving him his sacred weapon. He is the direct ancestor of Asharra.
  5. Ras Nsi is and was a warlock. Before, he was a celestial chain warlock of Ubtao. His weapon WAS his familiar. When he was banished, his familiar was killed as well (willingly so, the celestial familiar despised the genocide and begged Ras Nsi against it, but was powerless to stop him). Following his banishment and turn to Dendar, you'd think he'd be fiend pact but actually he's his own patron and is now Undying.
  6. I'm using most of the revised Ras Nsi since I like it a lot and it fits pretty well with my concept for him except his statblock is changed to have him as a warlock instead. Fun fact: CR 21 is actually fine according to XP for 7 level 11-13 PCs, and he ambushes the players for the Black Opal Crown, effectively acting as a replacement Acererak.
  7. The death ticking is slowed down for most NPCs, but the PCs don't know there IS a super tight timer to begin with so... not a huge change. This is mainly because I want more exploration pre-tomb.
  8. The tomb is, and I know this is cheap, slightly less save or die. People say "don't play ToA if you don't want to die at least once" and... I love how ToA is set out but want to run it more like a standard, story driven, rp driven campaign. So, there's less chance of a PC dying! But still a very large one. Tomb of the Nine Gods is still pretty hard.
  9. I stole the idea of teleportation circles in major magical areas that can be memorised by our wizard, thus removing needless backtracking, from this subreddit.
How the story is planned to go:
  • Explore most of Chult per normal, picking up as many magic items as they can (Currently seems like my players will skip Wyrmheart mine, this is relevant later)
  • Do the tomb per normal.
  • Acererak boss fight is not at the end, Ras Nsi ambush is after the tomb (and thus after a short or long rest most likely). The hags and the Atropal are harder and more interesting as a substitute. Artus Cimber may appear here, I don't want to introduce him too early as the party is already huge.
  • Mezro, upon Ras Nsi's defeat, reappears. Connections are made between the cities and it. The Barae reward the players for their service, but are receiving portents of Acereraks return. They set the players out to retrieve any items they missed from chult.
  • If they missed wyrmheart mines, this is the main challenge. Tinder is now an adult, probably buffed up too. She guards one of the weapons. She may allow them to take the Dragon Soul if they take out a tucker's kobolds + difficulty boosted mine, since she wants to move in there.
  • Upon doing trials etc to buff up their weapons to their true potential. Go on 1-3 arcs between levels 13-15 (post chult clean up) to level 20 to collect more powerful magic artifacts and allies.
  • Acererak shows up in Chult cruising for a bruising, sees Mezro's return and decides to raze them with an undead army and honestly probably a giant flying fortress a la tomb of horrors since he loves playing with his food. Players show up on the scene to fight him, go through the dungeon and defeat Acererak. Or not! I don't actually know. Regardless, even if a TPK occurs, we'll get to this point and call the game there if they TPK in the fortress.
  • Epilogue.
So, any suggestions for arcs I could do to pad levels 12-20? Any story nitpicks with the stuff I've told you so far? Any suggestions for ideas? Anything else you want to know about my campaign?

Mattelonian

Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 17, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Flying
Pokédex Entry
aight i'm gonna go over the full history of MY chult (shares similarities to canon) in a really haphazard way, so strap in

REV STOP READING THIS IS ACTUALLY THE LARGEST POSSIBLE SPOILERS

so this big god called ubtao, god of dinosaurs (they're in chult like animals) and mazes and puzzles, led people on a pilgrimage to chult
he chose 8 of his followers to be "barae" (single bara) who're effectively super-paladins. Each bara gets
1) a special ability tailored to them
2) a magical item/weapon that complements their abilities
3) a fuckton of other benefits such as elongated life and mild regeneration
the original 8 barae give names to some tribes that'll come up later (specifically the Aldani and the Eschowe)

chultans fill chult and build several major cities, and form into city-centered kingdoms with territories. these are (and also relevant to later):
Orolunga (centered on a temple to a guardian naga oracle)
Mezro (capital of chult, home of the barae, ubtao walked here)
Mbala (centered on a mountain city so defensible. the Aldani settle in here.)
Omu (super relevant to later)
Shilku (pretty irrelevant, they die to a volcano at some point)
Hisari (where most of the yuan-ti settle, a race of snek-people)
Eschowe (remember those folks?)

chult's pretty isolated so no outside contact yet

one of the kings during this golden age is called Ch'gakare and becomes a hero. only relevant bc a magic item related to him turns up in the tomb, he won't be in this post again

somewhat relevant is at some point a bara who is also the reigning queen of chult (called Zalkore) breaks a world speed record of pissing off ubtao by being a vain ho and being transformed into a medusa (a reversal of her gift of glamorous beauty). also wont come up again but she's still alive in chult

ubtao decides he's done enough and fucks off, leaving stuff to his barae to deal with

shilku dies to a volcano (rip)

mbala sorta devolves in importance until it's just a small set of villages under the capital (mezro)

so ubtao's fucked off and other people are picking up gods, the Eschowe in particular get a thing for Shar (goddess of darkness, standard faerun goddess, google her)

a bara called Ras Nsi decides hmm yes these people are evil and does a big ol' geniocide so the Eschowe are fucking dead now

ras nsi's a yuan-ti celestial warlock of ubtao, chain pact, whose "weapon" is his familiar (who's like cr 2 and buff) and whose power lets him reanimate a fuckton of undead
his familiar's like hmm fuck that and dies instead of helping murder people

sadly ubtao can't revoke his barae powers since he's fucked off so Mezro decides to banish him
he's planning a raid on mezro when everyone's fav Faerun event happens, the spellplague!

aight so in the beginning the big daddy god made twin goddesses, shar and selune (shar being like, the dark and selune being the moon so like... good vs evil darkness)
the two make a third goddess, chauntea, goddess of the earth
chauntea makes life and shar's like hmm no fuck that
selune and shar fight over life existing and their essence fuses to make Mystryl, goddess of magic, who then sets up a thing called "the weave" which is what all magic is drawn from
shar fucking hates mystryl

fast forward to way later, surprise surprise life's still around and there's basically no restrictions on magic. everyone can do it and everyone can do it really powerfully. one dumb bitch called Karsus works with Shar to create a spell called "Karsus' avatar" that lets you kill and replace a god (it's a 12th level spell.)
he chooses mystryl like a dummy and has no idea how to support the weave
he dies and the weave collapses
in a super magical world, this fucks EVERYTHING up, creating "the spellplague"
eventually another goddess of magic called MystrA shows up and fixes shit but places a limiter on magic, hence it capping at 9th level now.

so the spellplague's fucking stuff up so the barae are like "hahaha fuck this" and stick the entirety of mezro in a time lock, taking a lot of the good yuan-ti with them
sadly orolunga could NOT do this and got their place basically erased

this has the side effect of causing ras nsi's raid prep (summoning a fuckton of undead) to backfire when ras nsi's undead powers greatly decline (since mezro, source of power, has vanished) and he loses control of a shitton of undead who then fill the jungles of chult to this day

Omu fills the capital power vacuum and starts worshipping these 9 trickster spirits who showed up and pretended to be gods. the spirits are kiiinda fucked up and mess everything up
queen napaka (granddaughter of zalkore) takes over and tries to turn people back to ubtao but unfortunately all this tomfuckery attracts the attention of a certain lich

there's this big ol' lich boi called Acererak. he kinda travels the planes doing whatever he likes since nobody can stop him. he's from pre-spellplague, and basically has cheat codes on being a level 30 wizard (but's still limited to level 9 spells, he can just do multiple of them). he likes making dungeons partly bc the souls feed his phylactery but also because he's a fuckboy.

acererak kills and enslaves all of omu and forces them to build a tomb (the "Tomb of Annihilation" from the module, but it's actually called the Tomb of the Nine Gods because acererak loves thematics)
he then puts a big ol' antipathy spell on hisari, forcing all of the yuan-ti to leave (again, he's just a douche)
he then fucks off again to go do something else idk what liches do

ras nsi makes a deal with acererak to guard the tomb entrance (what a snake)
you see the joke is he's a yuan-ti

queen nepaka gets a special place in the tomb bc she sacrificed herself to offer time for her family to escape and acererak respected that. this also let her bloodline escape (they're still around, just not in power as a monarchy)

kingdom check, what happened
Orolunga - fucked by spellplague
Mezro - in a time lock in a demiplane
Mbala - still around but now irrelevant
Omu - enslaved and forced to build a tomb
Shilku - got volcano'd
Hisari - abandoned bc no snek people can visit there
Eschowe - geniocided

man, being a kingdom in chult sucks

especially since you know mbala? yeah, shit was small but still
a hag snuck in and ate everyone
RIP

man, being a kingdom in chult REALLY sucks

so basically now most of chult is completely fucked and full of undead and ruins (so perfect for dnd)

well great, where are all dem people at then
well they've created a port super far north called Port Nyanzaru and it's the only safe place left in chult
they have a system of 7 merchant princes (gender neutral term here) who have monopolies over certain areas and is kinda shitty since they refuse to deal with the undead problem
well hey, now their only place is a port, time to reveal ourselves to the rest of the world huh

nyanzaru gets super interwoven over like, 100 years, and becomes a thriving place of trade

...except sadly all the good yuan-ti have fucked off, so we only have ras nsi and the shitheads of the race to become a myth and live near omu doing sacrifices n weird shit to the new hip and cool yuan-ti god, dendar the night serpent, named such bc he wants to fucking eat the sun. ras nsi worships him but is actually still pining over ubtao, still thinking the geniocide over religion was the right thing (it wasn't)

also since the merchant princes wont do shit (actually one really wants to but that's for later) 2 factions come from overseas to rid chult of undead: the flaming fist and the emerald enclave

the emerald enclave are a pretty loose bunch, a mix of soldiers and nature hippies who just wanna do the right thing

the flaming fist is basically the american army
they tax people who go thru the jungle without a "permit" they made up and are generally a pain in the ass, but they manage to set up several camps and a big ol' fort up north called Fort Beluarian

the adventure begins now when acererak returns briefly to install a thing called the "soulmonger", a thing sucking out souls before they reach the afterlife, and feeding them to a weird dead god fetus thing so that it can grow into a full dark evil god thing

this causes a "death curse" where rezzed people are slowly dying and dead people can't be rezzed, causing one such sufferer (a post-adventurer wizard elf lady called Syndra Silvane) to hire a bunch of fuckers to deal with it
they fail
another group
they fail
and her third and final group are the adventuring party (at the start)

and that's a complete timeline of chult

there's a whole lot more to get into such as:
  1. artus cimber, lover of one of the barae who left and wielder of the ring of winter, a powerful magical artifact he has to stop frost giants from getting
  2. the legendary weapons left behind by the barae who're alive, including ras nsi
  3. the new face of chult, a bunch of encounters based on stuff
  4. The full story of Zalkoré (should have accent) and other stories i compressed for time
  5. Full explanations of the merchant princes and the barae (ie who they are and what they do)
  6. A whole lot more
but that's all for now, more later

EDIT: oh yeah, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if you read this feel FREE to ask questions i fucking adore them

DOUBLE EDIT: oh yeah, mezro’s time lock stuck them in a demiplane, they left ruins to confuse people abt them dying in the spellplague, ras nsi is only half buying it. Theyre set to return when Ras Nsi is killed, hence them leaving behind their weapons to help people do that

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)