• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Written Story Johto General Mon Della Cuora: a HeartGold Nuzlocke

MarkedInStone

Kanto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2019
Over Mt. Silver and down in the Valley Windworks
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This POKéMON is struggling to figure out what interesting stuff he can put into his Pokédex entry.
Hello! So, this isn't my first posted challenge- I had a one-parter of Blue that I couldn't really continue due to being busy and the like, but I really enjoyed the idea of writing a Nuzlocke run. This is going to be a loose adaptation of a HeartGold Nuzlocke I've posted about before. Enjoy!

“You do know that the Gym Challenge is no cakewalk, right? Trainers sometimes fail before they get one badge-”

“Yeah, Dr. Oak, but I did my research. Those trainers all started near Blackthorn. I just rented an apartment in New Bark, and the Goldenrod Institute’s study specifically cited that Trainers that start there have the highest possibility of success.”

“I must admit, Markus, it’s admirable that you’ve put in this effort, but even that success rate comes with a caveat. Those trainers all started with a Starter Pokemon, and I don’t see you have the best relationship with Elm, and he’s the only one around here who can get you a Starter. If you were over in Pallet, I could give you one, but I just got word from Chairman Lance that travel to Kanto by way of New Bark has been restricted.”

“I’ll find a way. Elm’s intern Lyra’s a good friend of mine. She’ll put in a good word for me.”

“I’ll take your word for it. If you do get yourself one, I’ll be in Johto for a lecture soon- if you can drop by Violet University, I’ll register you officially with the League.”

“Okay, Dr. Oak. See you then.”

“Best of luck, Markus.”

-click-

Markus closed his laptop and swiveled his chair towards his apartment window and looked out over New Bark. It was almost sunset in the small Johtonese town, and all he could see was basking in the golden-hued tones of early evening. Elm Research was the tallest building in the town, stretching above the windmills that lined the countryside.

“Sigh… How do I get Lyra to give me a meeting with Elm? Think, think, Markus. Think.”

Markus picked up his PokeGear and dialed the first number that came to mind.

“Hello, this is Lyra, I can’t come to the pho-”

“Dammit.”

He called again.

“Hello? Lyra here. Who’s this?"

“It’s Markus.”

“Oh, fantastic! I was just about to call. You see, I’ve been studying the effect that keeping a Pokemon outside of its Poké Ball has on its relationship with its trainer, and I don’t know if Marill is the best test subject. We’d need a new trainer, and I told Elm that you might be interested, and he seemed receptive.”

“I’m surprised Elm is okay with this.”

“It took a little convincing, haha! I know you two split up a few months ago, but we’re all adults now. We can do business without letting our personal lives get involved in it.”

“So which Pokémon is he offering?”

“Well, that’s where it gets interesting. He got me three.”

“Wait, three? All for me?”

“No, silly. Pick one.”

“So we meet at your place tomorrow for the Pokémon?”

“Sure. Just help me with this one errand, and it’ll be yours.”

“Thanks, Lyra.”

“No prob.”

-click-

MarkedInStone

Kanto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This POKéMON is struggling to figure out what interesting stuff he can put into his Pokédex entry.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Whoops! Time really flew, eh? Sorry it took so long, here's the first real part!

The next morning, Markus leaped out of bed. Today was finally the day that he’d get himself a Pokémon. Just had to choose which. The Grass-type never was his specialty, but a Fire- or Water-type? He could imagine himself with those two. Which is why it didn’t surprise him when Lyra gave him another call.

“Markus. Big problem. Come over to Elm Research.”

“Uh-huh. Okay. On my way.”

Markus sped across town, heart beating with each step. As he reached Elm Research, he saw a crowd of police cars surrounding the tall building, their sirens blaring, and Lyra talking to one of the officers.

Lyra ran over to him, sweat rolling down her worried face. Her Marill, wearing the same look, was standing behind her.

“Markus, a robbery happened here last night. A lot of research, alongside several Poke Balls, are gone. Worst of all, the Cyndaquil we had set out for you was stolen. The Totodile’s gone missing, too.”

“Who did it? Do we know?”

"We're getting reports of a red-haired boy with a Cyndaquil as far away as Cherrygrove. We still haven't seen the Totodile's Poke Ball anywhere."

"So the Chikorita's still there, right? I'll see if I can find the thief on my way to Cherrygrove."

"God, you've got such a one-track mind, Markus. Elm's got it inside." She sighed, as she walked back into the lab, her Marill following fast behind her.

Indeed, Elm was waiting inside, nervously cleaning up the glass shards of a broken window, a Poké Ball sitting on the table beside him.

"Ah. Markus. Bit of a bad time right now, but I guess Lyra gave you the okay. Here it is. That there's the only Pokémon we've got left here." He gestured to the Poké Ball beside him as Markus looked around the room.

"They really did a number here, eh?"

"The Pokémon being stolen wasn't even the worst thing- they erased our Pokédex data!"

Markus stared at him in shock. "That data took us years to collect!"

"Lyra's heading out soon to begin the process, but we need someone to track down the thief. That's where you come in, Markus. Lyra and I will keep you updated on where the thief is, so just make sure you don't lose sight of what's important here. So, on a different note, that there's a Chikorita. We'd prefer you keep it outside of its ball, but do what you think is best for its safety. It is very young, after all."

Markus grasped the Poké Ball in front of him, and gently pushed the button. A Chikorita around one and a half feet tall- a runt for its species- leapt out the ball. It stared into Markus' deep brown eyes and grinned. He smiled back as he picked up the small Pokémon from the ground.

"Let's see… should I name this one?"

"I'd say so, Markus. He doesn't have one yet, and having a nickname's been proven to help the bond between Trainer and Pokémon."

Markus looked down at the Chikorita, who had begun to get impatient in his arms and thus was fidgeting around. It struggled to break free of Markus' arms and jumped down to the floor.

"A feisty one, eh, Simon? I think I'll call him Harper. Just seems to fit the guy."

Elm nodded. "Seems so."

"It's almost like the old days, huh?"

☆Pokémon Obtained!☆

Harper the Chikorita, Lv. 5, male

Rash nature, somewhat vain.

So now we have our starter! I always loved the Meganium line, and I feel they get a really bad rep compared to the other two Johto starters... but enough of me rambling, haha!

csidvuL

Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
👀

The relationship between Markus and Elm is intriguing! As well as Oak’s knowledge of it, and the role that Lyra has as a mediator. I get the impression that Markus doesn’t go in so much for stopping and thinking, haha, so I really like the spot that you left the first chapter on!

Paine

The doctorate is in pain.
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 20, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
He/him; they/them; she/her
Pokémon Type
Psychic, ???
Pokédex Entry
It never quite knows what it's doing. Yet, somehow, things still get done.
Solid start! The erasure of Pokedex data is a pretty neat touch- kind of makes sense why he'd wind up with one and have to go traveling, league challenge or not, I imagine xD

Noo Markus grass is good and Chikorita is the cutest... Curious what kind of setup you've got going here! The Cyndaquil being gone is to be expected, and it'll be interesting seeing your take on Silver here. Especially since I'm getting the vibe that Markus is an older protag? But that Totodile being just... gone, that feels like a nice juicy thread you've left hanging for us xD

Good luck as you continue! :D (And welcome to the writechat!)

Wwarborday

Gradually Becoming Productive
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 28, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
He/him/his
Pokémon Type
Ground, Ice
Pokédex Entry
I'm Doing My Best
Wow, I really like this set-up! I'm very interested to see this ~history~ Markus has with Elm, and I really like what you did where the Pokedex data has been erased, thus providing an actual reason for Trainers to receive a Pokedex. Because, c'mon.....don't tell me you need this ten year old to catch Pokemon, Oak. I'm sure you've done this before.

MarkedInStone

Kanto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Steel
Pokédex Entry
So... that took a while.

But hey, better late than never!
I have a lot more written now than I did last time. So maybe I'll be a little more regular in posting than twice in five months!
👀

The relationship between Markus and Elm is intriguing! As well as Oak’s knowledge of it, and the role that Lyra has as a mediator. I get the impression that Markus doesn’t go in so much for stopping and thinking, haha, so I really like the spot that you left the first chapter on!
Thanks so much! Let's just say there's a lot more to this story, and I can't wait to get it written down and posted!

Solid start! The erasure of Pokedex data is a pretty neat touch- kind of makes sense why he'd wind up with one and have to go traveling, league challenge or not, I imagine xD

Noo Markus grass is good and Chikorita is the cutest... Curious what kind of setup you've got going here! The Cyndaquil being gone is to be expected, and it'll be interesting seeing your take on Silver here. Especially since I'm getting the vibe that Markus is an older protag? But that Totodile being just... gone, that feels like a nice juicy thread you've left hanging for us xD

Good luck as you continue! :D (And welcome to the writechat!)
I'm with ya there- Chikorita's one of my favorite starter lines. And yeah, Markus is around... mid-20s, I'd think. And we'll definitely get back to that Totodile eventually ;)

Wow, I really like this set-up! I'm very interested to see this ~history~ Markus has with Elm, and I really like what you did where the Pokedex data has been erased, thus providing an actual reason for Trainers to receive a Pokedex. Because, c'mon.....don't tell me you need this ten year old to catch Pokemon, Oak. I'm sure you've done this before.
I'd expect so much more from someone called Professor! In-game, though, I don't think I'm anywhere near completing the Pokedex, obviously, it being a Nuzlocke and all.

Thanks so much! Here's Chapter 2.

Markus was up late the next morning, feeling rested and lucky that Harper hadn't woken him up at all through the night. The Chikorita was sound asleep next to him, cuddled up with one of his pillows. Markus almost felt sad recalling him into his Poké Ball.

"Okay… everything's ready,” he said, packing up supplies for the long road ahead. The streets of New Bark were wide and walkable- Markus would more often see a Pokémon in the road than a car, and today was no different. The mountain air was fresh and clear, and it wasn’t long until the paved road turned to gravel and his hometown was behind him.

Stepping out onto Route 29, Markus was astounded by the variety of Pokémon that he saw. Harper stared out into the open air, awestruck by the nature surrounding him.

“Hey, little guy. First time out in the wild, eh? It’s not a bad place to be, I gotta say.” The Chikorita nodded, leaping out of his arms and into the long grass at Markus’ feet, before dashing off.

Above the pair, there was a flock of Hoppip floating through the sky, their leaves spinning in the wind. He wandered off the path for a moment to refill his canteen in a nearby creek, and almost tripped over a Poliwag sitting by a creek blowing bubbles. His well-worn shoes sank gently into the muddied ground as he bent over and placed the canteen under the flowing water. As he stood up, he walked back towards the path, and before he knew it, the Poliwag had dashed between his feet and Markus toppled over, falling face-first into the soil. Harper ran over and nuzzled up to him.

“Harp, what’re you doing?”

The Chikorita took a step back and laughed. Markus stood up, dusting himself off as he returned to the trail, this time a bit more carefully. There was a Sentret dashing between grass patch to grass patch, which Harper took to chasing around. Its small, chartreuse figure was faster than it looked, but the Sentret was faster. Markus wondered if he could catch it- it would make a great first addition to his team, he thought. He dropped his bag in front of him and unzipped the largest pocket, prodding around for the still-unfamiliar metallic feel of Poké Balls.

“No, wait, it’s not there… maybe in this one here…? Wait, I swear I packed those…”

“Of course the only things I forget are Poké Balls,” Markus said, slinging his bag back on his shoulder and letting out a sigh.

Harper had cornered the wild Sentret and had begun to brawl with it. He leapt at the small brown Pokémon and slammed into it with a Tackle attack- but the Sentret struck back with a powerful Scratch, scurrying up to Harper and swiping at him with its small claws. The Chikorita recoiled, hurt- but it was not long before Harper jumped back to its feet. Its leaf began to twirl, summoning leaves from nearby trees as a Razor Leaf attack began to charge.

The wild Sentret was knocked out before it could even counter. Harper ran around it, then turned to Markus and flashed a confident smile before running off again to fight with a Pidgey.

The PokéGear rang right as Harper was about to leap onto the small bird Pokémon, and he quickly turned around and ran back to Markus, who had answered.

"Hey, Lyra. Any sign of the thief?"

"Not yet. You?"

"Still no. I think he's over in Cherrygrove by now."

"Well, I'll try and catch him. I took the shuttle over to Violet this morning and I've talked to the local authorities about it. Marill and I are gonna head over to Dark Cave and hunt down a Dunsparce. It's almost like I'm ten years old again, all this rushing around and catching."

The two chuckled as the sun rose higher in the sky. There was still a long way to go for the both of them.

Xita

Moo
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Water, Dark
Neat start here. I wonder what made Markus pick up Pokemon training again and what kind of history him and Elm had (the “split” Lyra mentioned is interesting 👀). Harper’s so aggressive lol, that poor Sentret was just minding its own business!

MarkedInStone

Kanto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Hey! Only been a month this time.

Neat start here. I wonder what made Markus pick up Pokemon training again and what kind of history him and Elm had (the “split” Lyra mentioned is interesting 👀). Harper’s so aggressive lol, that poor Sentret was just minding its own business!
Thanks! I imagine Harper's really just got a lot of energy to blow off, haha!

Here's Part 3.

It was perhaps an hour before the small town of Cherrygrove appeared beyond the trees, and the sun was high in the sky. The streets were lined with the vivid, blooming trees that gave the town its name, and Markus let their aroma waft around him. Strolling down the central street, he couldn’t help but notice the stone-paved streets all seemed to lead to the Pokémon Center in the middle of town. But the roads weren’t the only thing that Markus couldn’t ignore. From time to time, he caught a shadowy glimpse of something- human or Pokémon, he couldn’t tell. In one moment it was there, and the next? Nothing. But his aching soles soon overwhelmed his curiosity and he walked back to the Pokémon Center.

He had never had much of a reason to come to Cherrygrove. It was beautiful, yes, but beyond that, there was nothing much to do there, so he didn’t really know the city all too well. Nonetheless, all of the newness of the town faded away once he walked through the sliding doors to the Pokémon Center. It was almost magical, the atmosphere. The walls were a soft beige, with oft-used leather couches and ornately-carved coffee tables full of Trainers and their Pokémon. The wafting aroma of burning incense drifted throughout the foyer. Photos of past Cherrygrove Gym Leaders lined the walls- he recognized a few from watching them battle as a kid- in fact, his childhood idol, William Mascarado and his powerful Xatu, stood in front of him. He stood and stared for a few minutes at the wall before wandering towards the counter. Behind it was a young woman in pale pink scrubs, her pale blonde hair tied up in a bun.

“G’morning! How can I help ya today?”, she chirped, smiling.

“Thanks. Just need a quick heal, that’s it,” Markus replied, gesturing towards his shoulder, where Harper was perched.

“Is that a Chikorita? Gosh, I’ve never seen one myself!”

“Yep. Just got him yesterday. Got scratched up in a little fight on my way into town.”

“You know, that isn’t the first rare Pokémon I’ve seen today.”

“Oh, neat- wait a second, was it by any chance a Cyndaquil?” Markus suddenly remembered why he’d come to Cherrygrove.

“Yeah! How’d you-”

“Okay. Who- er, what did its trainer look like?”

“It was a kid, maybe fifteen-ish? I passed them on the street on my way here. Hair was redder than a charging Scizor! What, they your brother or something?

“Nope. Which way did they go?”

“Over to Route 30, but they seemed to be in a bit of a hurry. I’d say a kid and a Cyndaquil, they couldn’t get much further than Apricorn Meadow by the time the sun sets.”

“Right. I guess I owe you a bit of an explanation, then. They stole that Cyndaquil from Elm Research and I’m trying to track them down.”

“I don’t mean to be rude, but shouldn’t ya leave that to the police?”

Markus had to think for a second. “I mean, the thief might be a kid, maybe he could be innocent, but it’s Simon- er, Dr. Elm’s Pokémon. I think I just have to.”

“Well, I don’t know about that, but okay! Your Chikorita’s about healed, too. If you’re going out on the road, I’d recommend taking some Potions or Poké Balls. You can buy those at our in-center Mart.” She pointed to a blue sign with a Poké Ball on it.

“Thanks so much for the help!” Markus nodded, walking off.

The Poke Mart was small- towns like this didn’t get much imported from Pokemon League Headquarters. A few brands of Potion lined the wall, but the only Poke Balls available were the standard red-and-white. He bought up a few from the vendor and set out again.

He had almost left Cherrygrove before he spotted the shadowy figure again. Now, his mother had always told him never to go into the back alleys. He thought most people knew this. But Harper apparently didn’t- he leapt out of Markus’ arms and scurried towards the alleyway, where the shadowy figure seemed to be.

“Harper! Come back here!” Markus shouted, fruitlessly. After a few seconds, he ran after the Chikorita. The alleyway was covered in a dark hue, but he could make out Harper and one other figure. Harper ran towards him and then turned back towards the shadow.

“What are you doing, Harper? You could’ve gotten hur…” Markus’ eyes gaped as the shadow leapt up in his direction- yet in an instant, the Chikorita had slammed it with a Tackle. Markus stood there for a second, dazed, before taking a closer look at the shadow- it seemed to be a Spinarak, from the look of it. Its lime-green body almost glowed in the shade the alleyway provided- at least, before Harper had given it a second Tackle, sending it flying towards the brick wall. Markus quickly grabbed a Poke Ball from his backpack and flung it straight at the bug Pokemon. As it began to collide, the ball opened, sending rays of light shooting in every direction before closing in on the Spinarak and dropping to the ground. It was only after the Poke Ball clicked then that Markus heard a tremulous and muffled voice coming from behind.

There was someone tied in Spinarak thread behind him. Markus approached them- still unable to make out the face or even if they were young or old, just that they were tied up in a dark alleyway and that didn’t seem okay. He tore through the thread, ripping off each pale strand until he saw who was now sitting in front of him.

The young man took a second to brush off the remaining web from his pitch-black hoodie. His face was covered in the alley’s shade, and judging on the way he carried himself, he wanted it that way.

“What do you want from me, prick?” he snapped, his arm outstretched and trembling. A Poke Ball was at his side.

“I don’t want to hurt you, kid. Harper, get back.”

“A Chikorita?” The young man swore under his breath, before reaching for his belt and in an instant, flinging the Poke Ball straight at Markus. Around three feet from his face, the ball burst, releasing a small teal Pokemon with fire erupting from its back. It took Markus a second before he realized.

“So you’re the one who stole that Cyndaquil from Elm Research.”

“So what? It’s more powerful than that Chikorita you have there.” Harper growled at him, readying a Tackle attack.

“Who are you, even? Why’d you do it?”

“Why would I tell you? You’re not one of the good guys.” The young man steadied himself and stepped back. “Cyndaquil! Let’s get out of here!”

The Pokemon dimmed its flames, sending a whirlwind of smoke in Markus and Harper’s direction. The Chikorita began to dash forward, leaping towards the spot where the Cyndaquil had been- but the two were gone. All that was left was a single card left behind on the ground and rising fumes above. Markus took a pensive step towards the card on the ground, waiting for the man to return and attack him. The card lay facedown, its back adorned with a Poke Ball symbol. It was made of a sturdy plastic- it was obviously expensively made. But the name on the front sent shivers down Markus’ spine. He knew that name, and so did everyone in Kanto or Johto ever since the Rocket incident struck three years ago.

“Antonio… Della Cuora.”

“Crap.”

☆Pokémon Obtained!☆
Spinner the Spinarak, Lv. 4, male
Rash nature, somewhat vain.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)