• Episode Four of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode will be the last one featuring chapters from Call of the Divines and Solstice! Tune in to hear what the story's creators have to say about these audio adaptations of their runs.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Unova Written Log Commentary Mon Cycle of Hurting - Pokemon White Nuzlocke

Thread Description
Obelisk makes his fourth attempt at an Unova nuzlocke. (Update 13: Please Just Stop)

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Unova's Victory Road is rough. That being said, at least gen 5 was the generation that normalize field doctors/nurses. Congratulations on making it through with no deaths.

So now I'm gonna grind to 53 across (so I can be at 54 for the Hydreigon at the end) and overhaul movesets where I can-

*Ctesibius dies to crit Iron Head from wild Durant*
Will that Winnie the Pooh and Tigger GIF ever not be relevant? It sucks losing a Pokemon so close to the end. If you want to have a corpse use Fly, though, I don't blame you...

A wild Durant outsped and killed Mead.

I've got four pokemon at the level I need, so I'm going to try and steer away from Durant for the last two-

> Couldn't get away!
> Durant used Bug Bite!
> A critical hit! It's super effective!
> Jane fainted.

…Crap.
What is up with these Durant!?

Yeah, scuttle away, you killer! At least there are no Durant in Unova's final battles...

tfw when everything went so wrong so quickly

QuietGuardian

Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym
🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ground
Yikes. Unova really does hate you. Well, here's hoping you can find some way to come back from this.

Obelisk

no sleep only wepears
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric
Pokédex Entry
Eccentric 'locker obsessed with Magikarp.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Unova's Victory Road is rough. That being said, at least gen 5 was the generation that normalize field doctors/nurses. Congratulations on making it through with no deaths.

Will that Winnie the Pooh and Tigger GIF ever not be relevant? It sucks losing a Pokemon so close to the end. If you want to have a corpse use Fly, though, I don't blame you...

What is up with these Durant!?

Yeah, scuttle away, you killer! At least there are no Durant in Unova's final battles...

tfw when everything went so wrong so quickly
It's all uphill from here.
Yikes. Unova really does hate you. Well, here's hoping you can find some way to come back from this.
Unova does not understand the concept of mercy.

Unova giveth and Unova taketh. Mostly taketh. It's honestly killing my motivation to keep going. Smaller update this time to get my feet back in the water.

Update 13: Please Just Stop

Fight Like Hell (Remastered) - JT Music
Sunlight - Modestep
Make It Bun Dem - Skrillex
Stickybug (cover) - Kyo (MioDaVinci)
Entangled - JT Music, ft. Andrea Storm Kaden

Hey, so I spent a very extended period of time getting things set up to EV train Maria, since I need her for the Haxdreigon.

And I decided to just go for 255/255 speed/attack instead of 252/252/4 with the last 4 in HP, for the sake of convenience.

It's been a long time and I've just had a very late - *barely catches shiny sparkling animation through half-lidded eyes (not making this up, i was falling asleep)* - …???

It was a shiny Basculin.

Shiny Clause invoked.

I named this magnificent sky-blue striped fella Alchemy, after the field of alchemy. Like finding shinies in nuzlockes, the odds of anything valuable or useful happening in alchemy are astronomically small. I'll see what he has for nature and Ability later, but he's level 5. And for those wondering, he’s a shiny Blue-Striped form.

(A/N - Serious Nature, ability is Reckless. Hm…)

Maria's EV training is done, so I took the team to Cold Storage to do some switch grinding.

(A/N I freaking lost three hours of data for whatever reason. I don’t know if I forgot to save or if there was an issue saving but I lost three hours. I think I lost some of my speed EVs, but I think I have enough investment that it’s a negligible loss. Lllllllet’s hope this doesn’t come back to bite me in the butt. Cue obsessive saving habits.)

Lucky Egg is a godsend for getting Pokemon up to speed-

*Vanillite eats Bug Bite STAB*

*Wild lv. 20 Vanillite used Avalanche*

*Lv. 29 Ostrograd died*

>:(

I pulled Alchemy from the box and gave him the EXP share.

See, this death is a weird one. I’m at a stage where the total number of surviving Pokemon I have is a mere 10 (now 9) so I can’t afford any errors like this, but Ostrograd was also not in a position where his value to the team was of a significant weight since I also have a Deerling. As for pulling Alchemy, I needed to cover a hole in my team’s typing and match-ups since I lack anything that directly counters Fire types - and Alder has a scary one down the line.
Thankfully, Basculin is somewhat speedy, has a strong physical STAB to counter Volcarona, and Aqua Jet to smack off the last bit of HP. But this all assumes I make it through Ghetsis.

*Rachel tanks Bide with 1 HP*

*Ob casually pretends it didn’t happen and detours to Pokemon Center. Note to self - Pay attention to Timburr.*

(a/n after the fact: I should have heeded this warning from the game.)

Curie also got Hyper Fang during the grinding process - it’s excellent physical STAB, but that 90 accuracy could come back to bite me in a critical moment. While I was grinding out Pokemon, I realized I was missing a reliable STAB move for Alchemy, so I looked into it - turns out, I can get my hands on Waterfall and grab two encounters off of Route 1, on 17 and 18 - although it’s a choice between a natural wild Pokemon or the Larvesta on 18. I’ll probably grab the Larvesta. During grinding, Agnes evolved into Sawsbuck.

Baaaaack to grinding-

*Vanillite tanks STAB Fly from full with 2 HP left*
*Vanillite used Avalanche! Critical hit!*
*Rachel OHK’d*

Oh my freaking God, Unova. Can you knock it off?!

Well, at this point, I might as well just freakin’ move on to Route 17 and get a replacement. Except now, I don’t have a Fly user. Rrgh.

I found a Max Ether in the first island between 1 and 17, as well as an NPC - maybe some more practical battle experience here ought to help me speed up grinding.

NPC - 2HKO (oh god a Swoobat oh god-), crit OHKO

Got a Persim Berry from the NPC.

NPC 2 - 2HKO, OHKO

NPC 3 - OHKO, 2HKO (oh god why does Maria have to evolve so late I need her to evolve before her poor stats kill her)

Got a Persim Berry.

Found a Pearl.

My (accidental) Route 17 encounter is a level 7 Frillish who I snagged in a single Net Ball. His name is Langbien, after Walter Basil Langbein, a hydrologist known for his contributions to hydrology (study of water/water science) and geomorphology. That Frillish is off to a box for now as I really need to keep Alchemy on hand.

Found TM06 Toxic in one of the islands on Route 17. I'm gonna have to detour back to Rt. 1 and get some Repels so I can clear Route 18 for the Larvesta and grab the Waterfall HM (necessary for Alchemy).

NPC 1 - 2HKO, 2HKO.

Backtracked and got Super Repels, so I'm good to go for the rest of the trip. I also have a ton of Hyper Potions and random Berries so I should be able to cover any statuses or damage until I can get back safely.

Back on 17.

NPC 2 - 3HKO + Leech Seed

Found a Deep Sea Tooth.

NPC 3 - OHKOx3, 2HKO

NPC 4 - 2HKO, 2HKO

Ah, I found a healing stop! And the Larvesta egg is in here, at the top of Rt. 18. Awesome. I'll need to backtrack, again, because the Frillish snuck into the last slot of my party.

Got the Larvesta egg.

Rt. 18 NPC 1 - Etrollga OHKO'd

Max Elixir found.

NPC 2 - 2HKO

Found a Dragon Scale.

HM05 Waterfall found. Gave it to Alchemy.

NPC 3 (Veteran) - Basculin 2HKO-
*Basculin Aqua Tail drops Maria to red.*
*Basculin crit Aqua Tail drops Agnes to red.*
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-
-2HKO-
*Darmanitan Thrash drops Alchemy to red*
AAAAAAAAAAAAA-
-OHKO (after taking two uncomfortable hits)

Hooooooooooly crap, that was cutting it close.

RT 17 NPC - 2HKO, 2HKO

NPC 2 - 2HKO, OHKO

Heart Scale found

Cannon evolved into Beartic.

TM19 Telekinesis found.

NPC - 2HKO, -

*Alchemy dies to a same-level Gurdurr*

...I worked so hard for you. If you had just rolled a higher damage on that last Waterfall, you would still be here.

The NPC did not last five seconds after that.

Found a Dubious Disc.

NPC - 2HKO

TM24 Thunderbolt found.

...I'm done with these routes. And this update.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
...You better be worth it, Larvesta egg. D:<

Obelisk

no sleep only wepears
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric
Pokédex Entry
Eccentric 'locker obsessed with Magikarp.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
...You better be worth it, Larvesta egg. D:<
Considering the things I've gone through, he's a welcome addition.

And we're back - with what is possibly one of the most worrying moments of this Nuzlocke.

Update 14: On The Brink - VS Ghetsis, try 2

Time to get back to the grind…Dark grass on Route 1 should be high enough level to be fruitful, but low enough to not pose a threat (lv. 33 max). I’m pulling the stops here - everyone is going to 54. I have some concerns about Cannon’s offensive *and* defensive presence as she’s a slow Ice Type and her attacking stats don’t seem all that good right now. We’ll see, but she might be a risk.

Starting to worry about some of these wilds, I’ve had to be careful with-

*Wild Scraggy used High Jump Kick, dealing over 75% damage*

*Cannon dies*

Wh- I- but-...

Unova, STOP. Just stop.

After some cautious grinding, Langbein evolved into Jellicent.

Maria evolved into Mienshao.

Ah, since I don’t have a level rule for my team, I think I’ll go for 57 across. I kinda need to, so I can survive Ghetsis and make it to the second stage of the game.

Took a detour to teach Curie some better moves and to get rid of Cut. Back to grinding.

*Agnes misses Jump Kick, loses 50%*
Agnes, NO-
*Scraggy used Brick Break!*
AAAAAAAAA-
*Agnes survives with 11/129 HP*
Don't scare me like that!

Oh? The Egg hatched into Larvesta! He's been given the EXP Share. He is named Abbot, after John Abbot, a notable entomologist from the late 1700s to early 1800s who contributed thousands of drawings and illustrations of insect life cycles. He is Mild and very finicky.

Graduated to Victory Road, where I specifically dodge all of the Durant this time around. My Larvesta is at lv 34 already.

*Agnes whiffs Jump Kick, drops to 25%*
Oh no, please don't-
*wild Boldore used Rock Slide*
*A critical hit*
*Agnes fainted.*

Motherfffffff….

This might be the end-game for me. I have no choice but to go absolutely overkill with grinding and go to lv. 60. Abbot is going back in the box. I only have three viable Pokemon, and-
>Larvesta evolves at 59
>Larvesta evolves at 59.

...I’ll pull Abbot back in soon.

[An ungodly amount of high-stress grinding later…The order of Pokemon arriving at Lv. 60 is: Langbein, Curie, Marie then Abbot]

Abbot got to lv. 57 when I finished Marie, so I have to carefully grind him. Hilariously enough, he’s actually able to take a hit from a Durant and kill it in one shot, so I could do that. He’s also quick enough that I can skirt around Boldore (for obvious reasons).

Abbot evolved into Volcarona.

I took some time to quickly revise his moveset since it’s, uh….lacking, but now the team’s as ready as I can make it.

Ghetsis Try 2 - Team Recap
Curie (Watchog) @ Expert Belt, Lv. 60
Return
Crunch
Detect
Low Kick

Langbein (Jellicent) @ Water Gem, Lv. 60
Sludge Bomb
Recover
Surf
Shadow Ball

Abbot (Volcarona) @ Bug Gem, lv. 60
Silver Wind
Quiver Dance
Heat Wave
Solar Beam

Maria (Mienshao) @ Fighting Gem, Lv. 60
Poison Jab
Rock Slide
Brick Break
Drain Punch.

Let's do this.

VS GHETSIS - TRY 2
Go, Curie!
Cofagrigus sent out!

T1:
Protect!
Crunch fail.

T2:
Crunch!
Mummy triggered.
Toxic!

T3:
Protect!
Crunch fail.
Toxic triggered.

T4:
Protect fail.
Crunch KO!
Toxic triggered.

Ghetsis is about to send in Hydreigon. Switch Pokemon?

>yes

T5: Go, Maria!
Hydreigon sent out!

This is what I EV trained you for, Maria. I'm counting on you.
Drain Punch! The Fighting Gem boosted Drain Punch's power!

Drain Punch OHKO! Hydreigon fainted!

T6: Bouffalant sent out!
Drain Punch OHKO!

T7: Eelektross sent out!
Drain Punch!
...It didn't kill…
Acrobatics!

A critical hit.
Maria fainted.

T8: Go, Abbot!
Heat Wave KO!

T9: Bisharp sent out!
Heat Wave OHKO!

T10: Seismitoad sent out!
Go, Langbein!
Earthquake!
Shadow Ball!

T11:
Rain Dance!
Shadow Ball!

T12: Seismitoad received a Full Restore.
Shadow Ball!

T13:
Earthquake!
Shadow Ball!

T14: Langbein received a Hyper Potion.
Earthquake!

T15:
Earthquake!
Shadow Ball KO!

Defeated Team Plasma Ghetsis.

...Finally. Finally. Freak out all you want, Ghetsis. He shows his true colors here, in the throes of defeat.

And N is starting to understand the concept of agreeing to disagree in the dialogue after that…

Ghetsis gets taken away, and then we're given a now-iconic scene where N has a heart to heart with us about his feelings on the journey that led us both here and what he witnessed on his way up here in pursuit of his dreams.

He leaves us with inspiring words - and the music completely goes out as we're greeted with a closer look of his face.

"Well, then...Farewell!"

Cue the credits rolling - and thus concludes the first half of this Unova journey. Next stop - East Unova, then Cynthia, then Alder. And then that'll be it.

See you all in the next update.

Last edited:

Frankied00dle

Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Can’t believe I’m only joining this journey at this point, but It’s been such a ride catching up. Gen 5 were the last games with x2 criticals, and it feels like Unova wanted to make the most of it. Can’t wait to see how the run unfolds, I’ve never actually Nuzlocked to Alder... good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)