• Episode Four of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode will be the last one featuring chapters from Call of the Divines and Solstice! Tune in to hear what the story's creators have to say about these audio adaptations of their runs.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Unova Written Log Commentary Mon Cycle of Hurting - Pokemon White Nuzlocke

Thread Description
Obelisk makes his fourth attempt at an Unova nuzlocke. (Update 13: Please Just Stop)

Obelisk

no sleep only wepears
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric
Pokédex Entry
Eccentric 'locker obsessed with Magikarp.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@QuietGuardian Brooks already hits like two freight trains! Her evolving is just strapping a warhead to the first train.

@Bowser's Family Vacation I had the same thought about the recurring Darumaka!

Let's rock.

Update 6: Can't shock the rock! (VS Elesa)

Ah, good old Nimbasa! Time to explore and find out what the city has to provide for me-

>Plasma Grunts accosting an old man.

Go figure. The old man runs to me begging for help - of course. Anything to cave in a Plasma's face. Two clean OHKOs, and the second guy drags the first one away to the amusement park. And I get a bike out of it, sweet! I've been waiting for this for a while. Immediately added to key items. Next step is to heal and hit the stadiums- nevermind. Bianca swings by and mentions the musical. Maybe I'll have Jane get in on it!

Anyways, healed and hit the stadiums. Got a Sun Stone and got the HM for Strength, as well as a Soothe Bell.

Starting in Small Stadium, where it's Tennis day. And apparently the levels are curved to match my team's exact levels right now - the first lady had a lv. 25 Blitzle and everyone on the team is 24-25 across.

...She was the only one in that stadium, so it's off to the Big Stadium. They've got the true American pastime, baseball. First guy's Pansear was a crit super-effective OHKO, which is super satisfying. The other two were a regular OHKO and a 2HKO.

Oh, hey! Mohs evolved into a Boldore!

I'm not seeing much in either stadium for experience, so I'm gonna hit the musical and everything that it entails for items and stuff. TM49 Echoed Voice was gifted to me out of the blue, too! I head out- oh no. Bianca’s controlling father comes to take her back home and drama breaks out. It’s such a huge relief Elesa comes in and gets involved here, because I doubt the old man would’ve had any reason to step back otherwise. An excellent showcase of actual plot and a Gym leader actually doing something, tbh. Can I just say, though, that the line “I'll teach you a little something about how tough a journey can get.” is quite terrifying, even in a non-nuzlocke context?

Thanks to the powers of time travel (not really), I head back to the stadium for more EXP from a different set of trainers - I need it, as Elesa’s team goes up to lv. 27. Not finding much, I went out east to hit the trainers leading up to the gate on Rt.16 and to get an encounter. The first NPC hit a Take Down that dropped Barrow to just outside the red in one hit. The rest weren’t anywhere as eventful, thankfully. I noticed in the middle of this that holding down the run button makes the bikers travel twice as fast, even if you’re standing still. That’s all of the immediately accessible trainers all done at this point, so I’m going to poke around in the grassy area north of the walkway.

My encounter in the tall grass is a Minccino! I haven't used one of these, but I know they can get Skill Link, so catchin' time. This one was pretty easy to get! His name is Darwin, after Charles Darwin - the father of the theory of evolution. With that, I go clean out the stragglers on the route for some last bit of XP.

I found a Charcoal and the TM for Payback, then noticed a hidden walkway on the other side of the trees - off I go! It's Lostlorn Forest. You can get a Zoroark here under the right circumstances, if I remember right...But alas, I doubt I have the means right now.

(A/N briefly googled it after this and I need one of the shiny Beasts for this)

In that case, my next move here is a regular encounter. I found a Big Mushroom as I started making my way back up - well then. A random Hiker babbles about values of different people and how the lady inside the trailer is really quiet. If only he knew.

My encounter in the Forest was...a dupe. My second attempt got me a Swadloon. Stupid me forgot Swadloon was part Bug and clicked on Ancient Power. Thank God it ate the hit. This lad is named Ostrograd, after Ostrogradsky's Theorem, also known as the divergence theorem.

To sum it up:

"The divergence theorem states that the outward flux of a tensor field through a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence over the region inside the surface. Intuitively, it states that the sum of all sources (with sinks regarded as negative sources) gives the net flux out of a region."

Make sense? No? Yeah ,I don't get it either.. I decided to hit the subway for fun - was given a VS Recorder and then went to Anville Town to bag a bunch of items. A rare candy and...that's it. Why do I keep overestimating?

Anyways, I didn't get the level growth I wanted, but I'm ready for the Gym and Plasma fights. Barrow and Wright are obvious weaknesses in the next Gym, and Jane loses to the Emolga in typing. I'll box them after Plasma.

N catches me at the Park and shoves us both in the Ferris Wheel, where he unceremoniously tells me he's the king of Plasma. Like it wasn't obvious enough. Also, his obsession with math is a bit comical. Oh crap, here we go-

VS Pokemon Trainer N

T1: Cuil v Sandile
Embargo!
Secret Power!

T2:
Assurance!
Secret Power KO!

T3: Wright v Scraggy
Pluck OHKO!

T4: Mohs v Sigilyph
Psybeam!
Smack Down! Sigilyph fell straight down.

T5:
Psybeam crit! (54/75 → 9/75 holy crap)
Smack Down KO! Mohs grew to lv. 26.

T6: Barrow v Darumaka
Water Pulse OHKO!

Defeated N!

Ok. Newfound respect for Eviolite and for Boldore for eating that crit that hard. After that, N approaches and declares that he'll be the champion. Right, you may want to go south and east. First gym's over in Striation.

Detour to the center to heal, stock up and box the three weak to the gym, then fed the rare candy to Brooks to bring her a bit further up to speed. And now we're gonna tackle the gym!

Trainers:
1 - 2x2HKO
2 - OHKO!
3 - 2HKO, OHKO.
4 - 2HKO

That's all of them! And finally an end to the OSHA-violation roller coasters. Elesa time!

VS Gym Leader Elesa

T1: Mohs v Etrollga1
Volt Switch! To Etrollga2
Smack Down! Etrollga2 fell straight down.

T2: Hyper Potion used on Etrollga2
Smack Down critical OHKO!
Mohs grew to lv. 27.

T3: Mohs v Etrollga1
Volt Switch! To Zebstrika. (Mohs 35/81)
Smack Down!

T4: Healed Mohs.
Flame Charge.

T5:
Quick Attack.
Smack Down!

T6:
Volt Switch! To Etrollga1
Smack Down!

T7: Etrollga1 healed.
Smack Down!

T8:
Volt Switch! To Zebstrika
Smack Down KO!
Mohs grew to lv. 28.

T9: Etrollga1 sent out.
Healed Mohs. His HP was a bit low for comfort.
Volt Switch.

T10:
Volt Switch!
Headbutt KO! Static triggered.

Defeated Elesa.

She hands over the Bolt Badge and the machine for Volt Switch, which would be handy if I had an Electric type. Anyways, she tells me to meet her at Route 5. First things first is to reassemble the team of scientists, theories and...and Cuil. Yeah.

That'll be it for now. See you all next time!

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
“I'll teach you a little something about how tough a journey can get.”
That's a canon line!? Yikes!

Skill Link Mincinno is amazing. A glass cannon, and Unova is not a kind region for nuzlocking, as you know, but 5 Tail Slaps in a row fells many a foe. Slap a Scope Lens on that, and you've got a monster. An adorable, fluffy monster. :)

Congratulations on defeating Elesa deathless! Her Emolga are scary. They have dual STAB...

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
Damn, Mohs is beef. 9/75 HP is super stressful, but Mohs had it under control! And dang, the little dude wrecked Elesa too! That’s one helpful pebble you got there.

QuietGuardian

Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym
🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ground
Unfortunately, I don't think Darwin will have Skill Link, since that's only a Hidden Ability for Minccino. Although if he has Technician, he could still be quite useful.

Ha, good point about N having to take on the Striaton Gym. That got a chuckle out of me.

And finally, kudos to Mohs for soloing Elesa! Even those Etrollga couldn't stop him.

Obelisk

no sleep only wepears
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric
Pokédex Entry
@Bowser's Family Vacation Sadly, Darwin is not blessed with Skill Link. Fortunately, he has Technician so he still has good use. I think the real monster here is Mohs, though. He eats attacks for breakfast and deals massive damage in return!

@Spectacles He's going be a monster of a little pebble for a little while :)

@QuietGuardian You were right - Darwin got Technician. Very handy for later on, but for now I don't need him. And yes, Mohs proved himself quite well there. Evolving him might be an issue...

To spoof a trending song on Youtube:
"Cause baby tonight, the Region's out for our blood again (blood again)"

Update 7: Cycle of Hurting
Funny Little Feeling - Rock N Roll Soldiers
Viva La Vida - Coldplay
Hey all, I'm back on the beat and ready to go! Team fully re-assembled, all that stuff. As a quick note, all three of my prior runs failed between this point and the N battle - I don't remember the first one's failing point, but the second one was at Clay after a disastrous loss of life earlier on and the third one was at the Cheren battle prior to the forced double battle with the preschoolers.

And all of them are within minutes of starting this gameplay session. This is going to be rough. I head out to Route 5- crap, Cheren.

VS Rival Cheren
T1: Barrow v Liepard
Fake Out!

T2:
Pursuit!
Fury Cutter!

T3:
Pursuit!
Fury Cutter!

T4:
Healed Barrow.
Pursuit!

T5:
Torment!
Fury Cutter KO!
Barrow grew to lv. 26.

Apparently the stacking effect doesn't fade when using an item? Must only be on a miss or clicking off Fury Cutter.

T6: Brooks v Servine
Leaf Tornado!
Fire Punch OHKO!
Brooks grew to lv. 27.

T7: Jane v Panpour
Scald! Jane was burned!
Giga Drain OHKO!

T8: Wright v Tranquill
AncientPower OHKO!
Wright grew to lv. 26.

Defeated Cheren.

phew. "Why can't I beat you?" Well, because I have Protagonist Powers™ and Plot Armor™™.

Elesa swings by to drag us to the bridge - gee, thanks for checking on my Dewott. He's just come out of the mosh pit and is doing just great. Not like he needs a heal or anything.

We get stopped by Alder, and are told that he's the Champion...I mean, it's not like his flaming red hair is a dead giveaway or anything. Not at all.

(a/n why am i snarking today)

Cheren gets rude and Alder tells him off, putting him in his place - even asking what Cheren wants to do after he achieves his goal...which is actually a very important question to ask when you think about a thing you want to do or get. Then what? If you don't plan past that goal, better plan to fail miserably.

Alder drags us into a double battle with some kindergarteners which goes as well as expected, considering the double Intimidate + Work Up Herdier - *Double Take Down OHKOs Cheren's Liepard and puts Barrow at 19/82 from full HP* ...I had to send Mohs in.

Jeez, talk about a boss in mook clothing. Barrow's been battered to hell and back twice in the span of twenty minutes. I'm gonna need to catch him up first…Anyways, Cheren darts off yelling about strength - God, can't the kid loosen up and see Alder's point? With that annoying scripted sequence aside, I set out to explore the route for stuff. I found a Hyper Potion and a hidden grassy area - let's see what we have here.

My encounter for Route 5 is a male Liepard, who took revenge for the Quick Ball by critting a Pursuit on Barrow. I'm now in a pickle with this battle - another crit will kill Barrow, as will a boosted Pursuit and healing will only buffer me against non-crits. I decided to be risky and toss an Ultra Ball, which did the trick. The Liepard is named Konrad, after Konrad Lorenz. Mr. Lorenz was an Austrian zoologist who is regarded as one of the founders of modern ethology (study of animal behaviors).

After getting Konrad sent off, I get ambushed by a Munna-wielding Backpacker while trying to get an item ball. Fury Cutter spam- Barrow got put to sleep, but woke up and OHKO'd the Munna after it tried to abuse Hypnosis. The item ball turned out to be a Great Ball.

One Hiker battle, a Zinc and a Revive found later, and I'm back down to the lower part of the route to clean out the rest of the trainers. With that all set, plot time. Cheren and Elesa stop me from progressing so we can watch a forced cutscene of the bridge dropping down. Unova really has a thing for these, huh? Cheren runs off again and I’m left to go solo on the bridge.

Several Wings (10) later, I get my encounter for the Driftveil Bridge! A level 24 male Ducklett who doesn’t offer much resistance to capture. I’ve named him Buffon, after Georges-Louis Leclerc, Comte de Buffon who was a contributor to early ornithology (study of birds). He’s off to the box for now, but the placement of a water type next to the Ground gym seems awfully convenient. Anyways, Clay’s ace is level 31, so I’ll need to prepare accordingly. However, he stops us at the end of a second bridge to blame us for losing the Plasma grunts he captured. Uh...Maybe fire your entire PD and get competent officers instead? He tells us to find the Grunts - so much for getting anything done. At least Driftveil and the Cold Storage are filled to the brim with trainer battles that I can abuse for XP - guess I’ll lead with Mohs first since he’ll get to 31 pretty quick. After the obligatory heal, I’m off to the Cold Storage where I beat up a bunch of trainers and found the Heart Scale. My encounter here is...a dupe, surprisingly. I didn’t know Minccino lived here. However, I got another Minccino immediately after, so no encounter for me here. I tracked down an Ether in the process. Yay, consolation prize...As is the Protein I found in the hidden area.

Time to raid the Cold Storage, then! TM55 Scald, Net Ball both found in here, along with a bunch of trainers. I run into a Gurdurr halfway through that’s threatening my entire team point-blank - Jane is at critical HP, I can’t send Wright in against the Rock coverage and it’ll destroy everyone else, even Mohs. I was able to get it asleep, which let me set up Leech Seed on it. Jane was able to take it down safely, but that was harrowing. At least there was an Ice Heal and a Hyper Potion nearby.

With all areas and options exhausted, Cheren chases me down to help me go into the final corridor where the Plasmas are hiding. The battles basically amounted to free EXP for me. Mohs is all set for the gym now (after the first Grunt, to boot!), so I’m going to rotate through the rest of the team members.

As a side note here, I’m going to suspend Jane’s training at lv. 28 and go hunt for a Leaf Stone in Wellspring Cave so I can evolve her for Clay.

With all of the grunts cleared, Clay comes up and takes them all away to jail and gives us authorization to challenge his Gym. Cool. Also cool is the convenient NeverMeltIce in the corner of the container...And wait a second, there’s two Leaf Stones right on Route 6. I can go grab one! ...assuming it’s not railroaded. But first, Charles! He’s a heartbreaker - and good God he’s going wide with us off the bat. I had to switch out my entire group on the first turn because I had three bad matchups. Talk about a brutal match, though, that took everything and a half to keep Mohs alive because all three opponents ganged up on him.

As soon as I got out of that battle, I ran straight for the Center to heal, and wound up blowing 80,000 PokéDollars on items. Might as well, right? I explored the market and got myself an Expert Belt and found a Big Pearl hidden in a corner. I’m going to run up and see if Route 6 is open so I can go for the Leaf Stone. There’s some kind of house on the top of the hill north of the city where everyone inside is a philosopher of some sort, dispensing sage advice to the player character...even though the PC is a soulless husk being used to represent the player themselves.

Route 6 turns out to be wide open! Encounters, trainers and items, oh my! A few trainers here and there, and I just realized I need a Sun Stone, not a Leaf Stone. I’m gonna check after I get through this Ranger-

*Wright dies horribly to an Emolga I didn’t account for.*

...Crap. Thanks for the Cheri Berry but no thanks. It turns out I have a Sun Stone, so I evolved Jane. Time to pull a new teammate and get to grinding. I also just threw away my encounter for the route in the process without realizing it right away. So much for getting a Deerling. At least there’s an Ultra Ball nearby.

That’s my second death in the entire run, and I’m just shy of the halfway point for the first leg. Better progress than what I was doing before, but I’m not happy about losing Wright. I’ve decided to bring Buffon along since I need as many water types at this gym as I can get my hands on. Time to grind. I’ll work my way up Route 6 in the process. Elixir, Hyper Potion and a ton of trainers. Lovely. Leaf Stone on the ground here, too! ...Really. In the middle of a horde of Foongus. And a Cheri Berry from Ranger number idunno out of God knows how many Rangers.

At least grinding is going mostly smoothly-

*Wild Herdier's crit Take Down destroys Buffon in one hit*

Unova, why are you like this? Just when I think I'm doing fine, you destroy two valuable team members in the space of a day! Now I'm rolling 5 deep until I get something good for that 6th slot.

I found a PP Up in the trash. Gee, thanks Unova. Not like you can get any worse.

*Herdier crits Take Down on Cuil. Cuil survives with 6 HP. The Herdier knocks itself out.*

Calm down, Unova!

Everyone is at 31 now except Jane, who just picked up Quiver Dance. I’m going to heal, stock up and let Jane get the rest of her XP from the gym mooks.

I head over to the Gym, where Ghetsis is confronting Clay and pressuring him into letting the Plasma mooks go. I’d throw my team at him to knock him right out, but...Hydreigon. He wins for now. Obligatory Fresh Water GET, and now I’m off. Jane’s leading the way here.

Gym trainers:
1: OHKO x2
2: OHKO x2
3: OHKO
4: OHKO x3
5: OHKO.

Alright. I think my solution for the upcoming fight is pretty straightforward:
  1. Quiver Dance
  2. Sweep
Let’s try it, then.

VS Gym Leader Clay
T1: Krokorok v Jane
Quiver Dance!
Bulldoze!

T2:
Giga Drain OHKO!
Jane grew to lv. 31.

T3: Jane v Excadrill
Rock Slide! (55/86)
Giga Drain crit OHKO!

T4: Jane v Palpitoad
Giga Drain OHKO.

Defeated Clay

Easy battle was easy. Clay gives me the Quake Badge but denies me the Technical Machine until I meet him by Route 6. Eh, sure. On my way down, I get ambushed by Bianca. Let’s rumble.

VS Rival Bianca
T1: Jane v Herdier
Giga Drain OHKO!
Jane grew to lv. 32.

T2: Mohs v Pignite
Arm Thrust! (2 hits) (71/91)
Rock Slide!

T3:
Arm Thrust! (2 hits) (55/91)
Rock Slide KO!

T4: Brooks v Pansage
Fire Punch OHKO!

T5: Barrow v Musharna
Fury Cutter!
Defense Curl!

T6:
Fury Cutter!
Defense Curl!

T7:
Fury Cutter!
Hypnosis!

T8: Woke up Barrow.
Psybeam!

T9:
Fury Cutter KO!
Defeated Bianc
a.

Not bad, TBH. I’m expecting a Cheren battle soon, so I’m gonna heal quickly before going. Bianca gives me the HM for Fly. Nice, but...I just lost two birds, so no thanks. Maybe if I get a Golurk I’ll use it. Turns out the nest is a Galvantula nest, so Clay clears it off. He also gives me TM78 Bulldoze, which is a nice move to have. Anyways, I’ve entered Chargestone Cave. Looking ahead at my encounter table, I can see I have some good options in here, and some duds. Let’s see what I get- ack! Ninjas grab me and rush me up one square and right three squares to see N. He rattles off some weird stuff and carries on, leaving me to explore the cave.

My Chargestone Cave encounter is a female Joltik, lv. 24. I’m naming her Baehr, after Barbara Baehr, a zoologist who studied the Zodariidae family of spiders. Since she was added to the party, I can see her nature - She’s Hasty. I’ve given her the EXP Share for now. Bianca chases me down, dragging Professor Juniper along with her. Juniper casually gives me the Lucky Egg and sends me off. Sure. I found a Paralyz Heal, a Heall Ball and a Revive.

Ran into some Trainers, who were pretty easy to defeat-

*Archen used Acrobatics! Barrow fainted!*

They were the same level. Barrow had 71/96 HP.

That’s...that’ll be it for now. See you all next time.

Last edited:

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Rival battles are known to be difficult, so people tend to prepare for them, but you know what are not known to be difficult? Kindergartners! With a tag team of Intimidate Stoutland, I think they could take over Unova. Time to hand over our Protagonist Hat...

I didn't know Mincinno live in Cold Storage either! :o

I always thought Vanillite was the most common encounter here, but no! The Herdier takeover of Unova is proceeding well.

Yikes. That was a deadly grinding session. It seems like once one death happens in a grinding session, another is sure to follow. When it rains, it pours...

Jane did amazing against Clay, though! I usually use Ducklett/Swanna against Clay myself. It has the perfect typing for the battle, and it even gets Rain Dance. Plus, if it dies, I wasn't attached.

Speaking of deaths... Rest in peace, Barrow. The Archen line, like the Lillipup line, is always out for blood. The fact that you've made it this far means that you've already avenged your three previous runs. The only reason Unova is attacking you so intensely now is that you're past the halfway point. It wants you to give up! Don't give it the satisfaction!

QuietGuardian

🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ground
Ow, those losses suck. Archen and Archeops are terrifically powerful but very frail, so keeping them alive is tricky...and keeping other Pokémon alive against them can be tricky, as well. But with Jane now a Quiver Dance Lilligant and with a Hasty Joltik added to your party, I'd say your odds of bouncing back look pretty good. Don't give up!

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
Dang...this section of the game must have it out for you for some reason! It's so frustrating when you have so many deaths in a row like that (I even think it's even more frustrating than losing several Pokemon in the same battle), but you've got some good replacements, and I think you can finally break the curse this game seems to have for you!

Obelisk

no sleep only wepears
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric
Pokédex Entry
It wants you to give up! Don't give it the satisfaction!
This was incredibly prescient. You'll see why here.

I'd say your odds of bouncing back look pretty good. Don't give up!
I'm not, but it's currently rather tempting.

I think you can finally break the curse this game seems to have for you!
I sure as hell hope so, because it doesn't seem to be the case here!

Update 8: The Cycle Continues

Hey all. Let’s get going so I can keep the body count down and hopefully pull myself out of this precarious situation. As I travel along, Juniper and Bianca chase me down to tell me that Klink are a recent species that emerged a century ago. This kind of thing's cool, but it isn't enough to get my attention fully...I mean, "HEY LOOK NEW POKEMON POOFED INTO EXISTENCE" only goes so far. I would be way more interested if it showed Klink emerging as a mutation of an already existing species and then diverging into its own new form (AKA actual evolution).

I challenge a random hiker who was staring out over the giant chasm in the ground. This guy made me wish I had Barrow still…I head to the bridge and am promptly escorted across by the mall ninjas. Okay. Guys. I know Plasma is down there. Dragging me to where I was going and then stating the obvious like I'm some lost idiot or tourist isn't appreciated in the slightest. At least there was a free Hyper Potion.

Trainer two, a scientist sporting a Klink. Say hi to Brooks.

Got an Iron nearby. Time to go down a floor to see what they hid for me. There’s a pair of guys standing next to each other...Wonder what they got? Oh, they gave me a- two Nuggets?

After a few minutes of backtracking by accident, I find the cave’s doctor and challenge him. It was a swift victory for Brooks and now I have a remote center in case I get into a bad scrap. Found a Timer Ball tucked away in a corner as well as spotting the grunts nearby- er, sorry. Free EXP nearby. First grunt was a swift triple OHKO.

In trying to get back to the doctor, I proceeded to get two encounters on the same tile back to back.

Anyways, second Grunt - swift beatdown. Third Grunt was also a swift beatdown...As were the fourth, fifth, sixth...I lost count. As a side note, Regenerator is such a godsend as I can pull Cuil back for a quick, free heal in between Pokemon while another one deals with the new opponent. And it works in Switch mode, too - so I can pull Cuil back in between turns and heal for free.

I found a Thunderstone. Nice! And more Grunts between me and my next staircase...Wait, there are two staircases. Crap, a choice. My one weakness. I went upstairs - crap, another choice. Left, right or down… And downstairs isn’t much better. I’ll go left.

Go figure, I run into a Scientist. He used a dire hit, but got OHKO’d before he could get a move off. Wait. Left just brings me back to earlier in the cage. Is this the dead end?! As I’m trying to find my way around, an Ace stops me. He’s got a Whimsicott. This is gonna be a pain in the butt- *Cuil crits Take Down and puts Whimsicott in the red* - I guess not. His Tirtouga was even easier. Past him was a dead end with a Magnet. That really wasn’t worth all that anxiety.

I go right- smack into a scripted sequence with N.

“Obelisk, do you have a dream of your own?”
>Yes. I want to own all the Magikarp in the world.

I guess he didn’t like that, because we’re battling now!

VS Plasma King N
T1: Cuil v Boldore
Switched for Jane.
(obelisk was not paying attention here. Most likely a missed attack or Iron Defense.)

T2:
Giga Drain! Sturdy triggered.
Iron Defense.

T3:
Giga Drain KO!
Baehr grew to lv. 29.

T4: Mohs v Joltik
Gastro Acid! Mohs’ Sturdy was suppressed.
Rock Slide OHKO!

T5: Brooks v Ferroseed
Fire Punch OHKO! Brooks was hurt by Iron Barbs.

T6: Klink sent out.
Fire Punch OHKO!

Defeated N.

Well, then. Guess my dream is the more valid one, N. Now, have you beaten the Striation Gym yet? Before he can rage out on me, Bianca and Juniper come rushing to me and confront him, scaring him off. I absolutely love Juniper’s “live and let live” mindset here after N berates her for the Pokedex work she’s doing. And I love how it makes N go nuclear (or at least as nuclear as an E-rated game can go). Welp, there goes N, running off like someone set him on fire.

Juniper and Bianca leave, giving me a chance to check the spot I missed - where I run headlong into yet another Ace trainer. They were swiftly knocked down by Jane. I managed to dodge another one to grab a Hyper Potion and a Rare Candy, then went back and challenged them. 2HKO, OHKO - Oh no. The Ace has a Quiver Dance Lilligant. I wasted a turn to heal Brooks and then she hit herself the next turn, costing me valuable time to take this thing down. It’s now at +2...Make that 3 - Brooks snapped out of confusion and OHKO’d it with Fire Punch. Oh my God, that was stressful.

Found a Brightpowder at the dead-end, then noticed a crystal puzzle. Huh, wonder what’s going on here? Probably a red herring, probably not. Going to ignore it for now and GTFO so I can box this dead Dewott I’ve been lugging around the entire update. Fresh air, finally. Time to go give Barrow his peace and get a replacement. And that’ll be Darwin, as I could use the Technician boost on a bunch of TMs I have now - wow. Darwin’s TM/HM pool here is garbage. Back in the box he goes. I’ve taken out Konrad instead - his utility moves will be really good. Wait a sec, why can Cuil learn Dig?

Skyla is level 35 max,, so I’ve got a ways to go before taking her on. Since I’m not bound by a level rule, I’m tempted to push Baehr up one level so I can have a Galvantua for the gym. As soon as I leave the center, I get caught out by Juniper’s old man. He upgrades my Pokedex to allow me to see forms and to allow me to search for Pokemon faster. Nice. The (obvious) gym leader comes up and asks Juniper about me instead of asking me directly. I’m...right in front of you two. Juniper leaves and Skyla heads off for the Celestial Tower. That is my next step - but first I’ll storm Area 51 the runway to find stuff. TM58 Sky Drop is a good find, but I don’t want to cause a bug since this move does have a glitch attached to it. I also like how the Gym is on the far end of the runway. I honestly thought the building adjacent to the runway entrance was the gym. I got a Sharp Beak from a random NPC. Next step’s to explore and track down Skyla (and harvest that EXP along the way).

Now I’m on Route 7. Let’s see….Trainer road, grassy area, elevated walkway. Which option do I take?

...How about yes? I got a TM57 Charge Beam and now a ton of trainers to tackle.

First guy had a Simisear. So much for getting Baehr moving off the bat. I swapped for Mohs on the first turn and let him deal with the grease monkey. I tried to go for shaking grass, but a Deerling had other plans. Her name is Agnes, after Agnes Arber, a British plant morphologist who studied Monocotyledons - you may know some of them as orchids. Agnes has been sent to the box for now so I can dig around for more EXP.

Second trainer - 2xOHKO

Ok, y’know what? Darumaka and Joltik are both lv. 36 evolutions. I say screw Skyla, we’ll go to 36 across for everyone. Pretty sure this Ultra Ball on the ground is from one of the two kids near the one little grass-less patch here. Yoink - *immediately runs into a wild pokemon*.

Third trainer - Dwebble not so bad. Simisage crit a Seed Bomb, then I crit back with Flare Blitz. The crit chaos left Brooks at 10 HP...from 96, in one turn. 96 > 38 > 10. My heart rate spiked as I saw it happen.

I run into a guy in a house who is offering an Emolga for a Boldore. Eeeeeeegh, no thanks. My little rock friend is gonna stay my little rock friend.

Fourth trainer. Wait, oh no it’s a triple battle all three pokemon are fully evolved and are par with my team- *Mohs OHKOs the more dangerous two with Rock Slide*

I love Mohs even more now. He keeps pulling all of these clutch saves out of nowhere when no one else on the team can handle the threat. I shouldn’t lean on him, though. It’ll bite me in the butt if I do - after all, complacency is the enemy of competence.

Fifth trainer, hopefully less heart-attack inducing. 3HKO.

I started exploring route 7 and got called by Mom to remind me that my team is the reason why I’ve gotten so far.

Honestly, this whole sequence could easily be turned into a very sentimental/emotional moment following that near scare with the triple battle. I don’t quite have the ideas together but I totally would do a couple of one-shots of this run.

Trainer 6 - Convenient Volt Switch is convenient. 2HKO, - rrgh. Simipour’s Scald put Baehr at 11/75 and I have no faith that the speed drop was enough to let him outspeed, so I had Jane deal with it while I healed Baehr. Mohs OHKO’d the last Pokemon. She gave me an Aspear Berry, and I found a PP Up not long after. At least it isn’t a Wepear Berry.

Trainer 7 - 2HKO. The lead Solosis used Future Sight, so I Volt-Switched into Konrad to flinch the incoming Pokemon and nullify the Future Sight attack. However, he’s still under-level so I pulled him back and had Mohs come in to deal with the Axew. This Axew is putting out a lot of damage, rolling a crit that dropped Mohs’ health by half. Healed him and finished the Axew off, earning myself a second Aspear Berry in the process. Cool, let’s go get the rest of the trainers before we go in the Tower. Found a random Max Ether too.

Found the X-Scissor TM too! And a bunch of clowns all raring to fight.

Trainer 8 - etrollga. Sent in the Etrollga expert, Mohs. OHKO. This guy also has a Sigilyph, so I healed quickly - *critical hit psybeam! 96 - 29 HP*... Oh. Sent Konrad in to nullify its Psychic offense. He was also able to outspeed and take down the Sigilyph on his own, despite eating an Air Cutter that did 45 of 80 HP in one go.

Ducked in a house to heal, then went back out to get the rest of the trainers here.

Trainer 9 - crit OHKO, OHKO, crit OHKO. Dang, Baehr.

Trainer 10 - convenient roadblock - oh crap, the boldore is lv. 34 - nah, Jane had him. The real problem is this guy’s Gurdurr. Put him to sleep, one Quiver Dance, then...OHKO!

Now that all of the trainers out here have been accounted for, I’m going to go through the Tower then grind after to guarantee that everyone is ready. I think my plan for this gym is to run with Baehr in front, Mohs in second and Cuil in third with everyone else standing by as a last resort.

Tower time!

*Runs into wild Zebstrika. Wild Zebstrika used Pursuit! Baehr fainted.*

At least the Celestial Tower is nearby.

Tower trainer 1 - 2HKO, 2HKO, 4HKO (Sigilyph with screens)

Hyper Potion found.

My encounter is a Litwick. Her name is Mead, after Margaret Mead, a cultural anthropologist who frequently spoke in public.

(Obelisk needed to take a few minutes to collect his thoughts.)

Alright. I'm not gonna mope around and play half-heartedly. Let's push on, for Baehr. This means Mohs is on point from here on out, so I'm gonna up the PP for Rock Slide for the Gym.

And also...I still gotta clear the tower. Where were we?

Trainer 2 - *Emolga used Shock Wave! Critical Hit! Konrad fainted.* 4HKO, 2HKO

...Seriously? Seriously? ARE YOU F-

Trainer 3 - *Deerling used Take Down! Critical hit! Brooks fainted.* 2HKO, 2HKO.

Okay, you are trying my patience. I am five seconds away from throwing this game cart in freaking bleach. Knock it off with this garbage.

Trainer 4 - OHKO.

I'm done. I'm done for today. I just...Done. Done.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
N's out-of-proportion reaction to Professor Juniper's saint-like patience is hilarious.

I've always thought that the mom calls of gen 5 could be made into something super sweet, but that implies that there is A) a mom and B) a good relationship with that mom. XD

Oh no! I hate being prescient!

QuietGuardian

🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ground
When it rains, it pours, huh? My advice is to do what it seems like you're doing: take breaks when you need to, so that when you return to playing, you'll have a clearer mind. That really did suck, though.

Obelisk

no sleep only wepears
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric
Pokédex Entry
@Bowser's Family Vacation That's the thing, though. They never fully establish that relationship with the mother in the games. :x She's just there as an extra healing location

@QuietGuardian "that sucks" is an understatement.

Adam’s Song - Blink 182
Getting Away With Murder - Papa Roach
Play That Funky Music - Wild Cherry
Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix
All Along The Watchtower - The Jimi Hendrix Exprience
Don’t Stop Believin’ - Journey
Wheel In The Sky - Journey
Carry On My Wayward Son - Kansas
Theme song for Pop Team Epic. I literally have no idea what the name or artist of this is.
Come As You Are - Nirvana
My Generation - Limp Bizkit
Without Me - Halsey
Senorita - Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello
If I Can’t Have You - Shawn Mendes
Red Flag - Billy Talent
A farewell song to MW2 - TryHardNinja
Streamline - Newton
Mr. Blue Sky - Electric Light Orchestra
Never Gonna Shoot Your Stars (Rickroll x Shooting Stars) - Grandayy
Funny Little Feeling - Rock N Roll Soldiers
Hot - Smash Mouth
Monster - Meg and Dia
Look What You Made Me Do (cover) - Our Last Night
Getting Away With… - Papa Roach (Vrenna Walsh version - Gran Turismo 4 OST)
See You Again - Wiz Khalifa ft. Charlie Puth
Goodbye To A World - Porter Robinson
Ghost - Mystery Skulls
Ghosts - MandoPony
Propane Nightmares - Pendulum
Fasten Your Seatbelt - Pendulum ft. The Freestylers
First Person Shooter - Celldweller
The Lucky One - Celldweller
Sad Machine - Porter Robinson
Language - Porter Robinson
Keep Quiet - Simon Patterson ft. Lucy Pullin
Castle Rock - Rayman Legends OST (AKA Black Betty - Ram Jam) *A/N - ended up listening to this on loop for a while. Such an earworm.
Circuit Wanderer - T-Square
United State of Pop 2009 - DJ Earworm
United State of Pop 2008 - DJ Earworm
Be Alright - Dean Lewis
Pompeii - Bastille
Titanium - David Guetta ft. Sia
Counting Stars - OneRepublic
Radioactive - Imagine Dragons
Discord - TheLivingTombstone
Rasputin - Boney M
Sweet Dreams - Eurythmics
Take On Me - a-ha
High Hopes - Panic! At The Disco
Castle On The Hill - Ed Sheeran
Some Nights - Fun
Hey, Soul Sister - Train
Heartbeat Song - Kelly Clarkson
Since U Been Gone - Kelly Clarkson
Girlfriend - Avril Lavinge
I Need A Doctor - Dr. Dre, Eminem, Skylar Grey
Feel Good Inc - Gorillaz
Heathens - twenty one pilots
Payphone - Maroon 5

New day, new resolve. Let’s see if RNG sides with me today. First order of business is to use that PP Up to raise Mohs’ Rock Slide PP. He needs it now, more than ever.

5th trainer - Mohs, this is really no time to be stuck asleep. That Musharna’s building defenses and that Psybeam hurts. 7 hit KO. Never again.

6th trainer - “What pleases sleeping Pokemon is a hot battle!”

3HKO, OHKO.

7th - OHKO, OHKO.
Found a Spell Tag. Nice.

8th - 2HKO

9th (Nurse) - confusion hax was annoying. Mohs spent the entire time hitting itself. When it finally snapped to, it obliterated the Gothita. Jane took care of the Alomomola without any fuss.

With that sorted out, I healed the team and checked their levels to see how much progress I need - not too much left across the board, but I’m at a disadvantage type-wise. Especially as Litwick won’t be ready at level 36. And for once, I’m not confident in Mohs - Skyla’s Swanna is a liability.

Trainer 10 - >tfw Stoutland. How about a Bulldoze or two to slow ya down? This guy has the Elemental Fang moves...And keeps critting them. That was like a 4-5 hit KO. And the Stoutland was looking at an 8 hit KO on Mohs without crits. If Eviloite ain’t broken, I’m not sure what it is.

Found a revive next to this guy. Screw you, game.

Trainer 11 - Swoobat keeps flinching Mohs, dodging his attacks and infatuating him. I’ve sent in Cuil to deal with him. Stop with the freaking Attract spam. God, you’re just as bad as Whitney - *Air Slash crit!* Oh, no you are not doing this. Stall time. I have just enough Hyper Potions to out-stall your Air Slash PP. Thankfully, it didn’t come to that and Cuil was able to take a small gap in the Swoobat’s offense to KO it. The Gothorita was much easier to deal with, and Bulldoze ensured I was ahead of it.

I found the Shadow Claw TM - cool. I should have something that can use this in the box. That was, thankfully, the last of the trainers - wait what you can encounter Pokemon at the top of the tower?

Random alien aside, I talk to Skyla, who’s just sent off an ill pokemon after healing it. She encourages me to ring the bell. Of course, considering the journey’s brutality in between Elesa and now, I feel a need to do that to make up for failing my Pokemon the way I have.

Skyla re-introduces herself and invites me to the Gym. I’m not quite ready yet, so I’m gonna take my time and prep the team right. 36 across, and I need replacements. First thing to do is to get out of this death tower and finish Mohs’ training - he went all the way up to lv. 35 just going through here. I’ve added Darwin and Sofia to the party and after some move shuffling, I’m off to grind. I’ll shop for items later, when I actually have a need for them.

>>Grinding Time<<
Quick Note: Mohs given Stealth Rock for gym and will get Bulldoze back after.

>tfw i realize i missed the shiny stone and need to head back to route 6 to get it.

Darwin evolved into Cinccino.

Sofia evolved into Cofagrigus.

And now that’s a team of lv. 36 mons. Let’s go to the gym- oh God what is this OSHA nightmare. Obligatory Fresh Water, and then off to the Trainers.

Trainer 1 - 2HKO+burn damage, 3HKO
Trainer 2 - 2HKO, crit OHKO
Trainer 3 - 3HKO, (Darwin grew to lv. 37) 2HKO
Trainer 4 - 3HKO
(Put Darwin away and put Mohs on point)
Trainer 5 - OHKO

Not a bad run so far, but now the real problem is ahead of me. Skyla. What I’m doing here is Stealth Rock off the bat, then going for a sweep with Mohs. Let’s do it.

VS Gym Leader Skyla
T1: Mohs v. Swoobat
Heart Stamp! Mohs flinched.

T2:
Heart Stamp!
Stealth Rock! Rocks float around the foe’s Pokemon.

T3:
Amnesia!
Rock Slide OHKO!

T4: Swanna sent out.
Pointed stones dug into Swanna.

I’m now debating whether to have faith in Mohs for pull him back for Darwin...I’m gonna have some trust in Mohs...But I need to scout it out.
Mohs was healed!
BubbleBeam! (105 -> 45)

...No thanks.

T5: Sent in Sofia.
(missed the attack)

T6:
Aqua Ring
Hex

T7:
Air Slash miss!
Ominous Wind KO!
Mohs grew to lv. 37!

T8: Mohs v Unfezant!
Stones dug into Unfezant!
Healed Mohs.
Air Slash!

T9:
Leer!
(aka “oi m8 bugger off”)
Rock Slide KO!
Defeated Skyla.

Nice. Got a little hairy with the Swanna, but that worked out. And since I already cleared out Rt. 7…

Got the Jet Badge and TM62 Acrobatics-
TM62 Acrobatics.
T M 6 2 A C R O B A T I C S

>Team Plasma was headed to Icurrius

Welp. Guess there’s no rest for the stupid.

*Gets accosted by N*

...Or the ignorant, it seems. He asks Mohs about the kind of trainer I am. Mohs has immense trust in me, based on what N says about him. I love you too, little pebble.

N rambles about the Light and Dark Stones (totally not plot pertinent) and pacifism bla bla bla you lost me back in Accumula Town just go already - oh, he left.

Headed straight for Twist Mountain, where Cheren intercepts me to have a battle. Bring it.

VS Rival Cheren
T1 - Unfezant v Sofia
Switched to Mohs.
Taunt!

T2:
Air Slash crit!
Rock Slide!

T3:
Air Slash!
Strength KO!

T4: Mead v. Servine
Leech Seed!
Will-O-Wisp!

T5:
Leaf Blade!
Flame Burst! (Leftovers, leech seed active)

T6:
Leaf Blade!
Hex KO!

T7: Jane v. Simipour
Scald!
Giga Drain OHKO! Damage from Scald? What damage?

T8: Liepard v. Darwin
Fake Out!

T9:
Wake-Up Slap OHKO!

Defeated Cheren.

Nice battle-
*Sudden Alder*

Well. Alder dispenses more wisdom and gives me HM03 Surf. Sweet, maybe someone I have with me can use it.

(a/n: NOPE)

Alder and Cheren both leave, leaving me to go through Twist Mountain.

My Twist Mountain encounter is a...Cubchoo. Her name is Cannon, after Annie Jump Cannon (holy crap what a name) - whose work was the foundation of modern stellar classification. She...accidentally got sent to the dead box. I’ll move her as soon as I get to a PC.

Wait, what is Cheren- oh. Hi Clay. Not mad about your Excadrill getting wiped out are you? Doesn’t seem mad, wishes us well on our trek through the mountain. Found a full heal off the bat! And a revive but whatever. Oh--wow. Winter is a great time for Twist Mountain. I can take a shortcut all the way down! That said, EXP > shortcut so I’m off to annoy the doctor first. OHKO, 4HKO and I now have heals for the entire area- dang it he had a hyper potion. Ok, that was a slog but I’m fine. Healing point acquired. EXP time.

Trainer 1 - annoying Woobat was annoying. OHKO’d by rock slide after Mohs intervening. Oh, a Gurdurr, maybe Mead can- *Rock Slide brings Mead to 9 HP* ...Mohs? I need you again. Their Boldore, on the other hand, was easy.

Trainer 2 - 2HKO, 3HKO, let’s see if Mead can - *Psyshock! 87 -> 14 HP* - ...Mohs? 2HKO.

Trainer 3 - Oh boy. This girl has a Throh. I’m setting Jane up to take it down quickly. And that she did, with a clean 2HKO.

Trainer 4 - 2HKO, easy. Excadrill, not so much.

Found a Stardust! And a trainer.

Trainer 5 - 2HKO

Moon Stone! Like i’ll ever use it…

Trainer 6 - god this boldore wont faint. 2HKO after, then another 2HKO.

Ooh, another stardust. And a Max Potion! And an Ether. And a Nugget! Why are people spilling their items all over crowded tunnels filled with lethally dangerous animals and sentient objects? It baffles me.

Trainer 7 - > EXCADRILL HONE CLAWS SPAM

That guy was guarding a PP Up. No wonder he had an Excadrill...but why didn’t he just grab it for himself?

Trainer 8 - Double OHKO and a 2HKO.

Wait whAT- I never knew the Substitute TM was here! Guess I have it now. This whole update, I’ve been noticing a trend of running into a wild Pokemon within five tiles of finding an item, which would definitely be something brought up in a storylocke as a bad-luck type of thing.

And speaking of bad luck, I stumble across Cheren confronting the Plasma grunts near an exit. Cheren is clearly losing- aw, he won. They teleport through an awfully convenient fade to black, which prompts Cheren to stay behind and think about what he’s done. Bad boy, Cheren.

Whuh- Oh, it’s the old Juniper. Yeah, I know the Dragonspiral tower. He relays some old story loaded with foreshadowing about the tower, then runs off to look at it. At least I’m in safe haven now - and everyone’s level 38! That’s good because the Brycen ace is lv. 39.

Which means I’m gonna take a break here for this update.

See you all in the next update!

You really need to step up, Mead.

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Pokédex Entry
That is quite the motley of songs you have in that playlist! I'm glad to see that Mohs is still kicking all the ass, and even tanking a Bubblebeam from Swanna! May the pebble live long and prosper!

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
Celestial Tower is a beautiful location, but, yeah, there are mean trainers in there.

Congratulations on clearing Skyla!

Cubchoo could be interesting to use. Anything to combat the existential threat that is a dragon type gym leader pre-fairies. *looks up Twist Mountain winter map* Oh, wow! Unova seasons affecting maps! I didn't realize how much Twist Mountain was affected!

Praise the pebble!

Obelisk

no sleep only wepears
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric
Pokédex Entry
@Spectacles I'm honestly surprised that Mohs is still going as strong as he has been! He may be starting to reach his limits, though...

@Bowser's Family Vacation I'm not a fan of Cubchoo or its evolution, tbh. For an offensive Ice type, it's really slow. That 50 speed mix with pure Ice weaknesses is just asking for trouble.
Let's get back on the beat!

Update 10: A Chilling Battle (VS Brycen)

Alright, I'm finally back with more Unova shenanigans. Last I checked, I was getting ready for Brycen. Good thing the team's basically ready to go in - but I gotta decide on who I'm bringing in for the gym.

Oh, and Icirrus City's southern region has been changed by the winter as well. Lots of hills and ice instead of what it usually is. And I managed to find Route 8 while wandering, so I'll skip it for now. I did get a much needed break in the form of TM31 (Brick Break) and a random guy paying extra for ores (that will shake his core). Too bad I can't use Brick Break on my party...

In the process of shopping for items (a mere 30 seconds), it transitioned to Spring outside! That let me run into the Icirrus wetlands and get myself a female, lv. 30 Shelmet. Her name is Wetterhahn, after Karen Wetterhahn, a professor of chemistry that worked on the effects of toxic metal exposure. I got lucky that this one fit in the nickname limit…

As I was exploring the city for resources, I got dragged into the "Pep" Quiz in one of the houses. I got an Antidote out of it, so...not complaining, I guess? I also found the Fan Club, where the lady inside declares that Mohs is super friendly to me! I also got another EXP share from the President. Sweet. Gonna catch up Sofia quickly before the gym run. Mead and Jane are both useless here, so I'm temporarily boxing them for their own safety.

Gym time, so I get the obligatory Fresh Water and then get rolling.

Gym Battles:
Trainer 1 - 2HKO (Sofia got +2 Ominous Wind), Burn damage KO, OHKO
Trainer 2 - 2HKO + Burn KO
Trainer 3 - 2HKO. (Sofia grew to lv. 39 and learned Shadow Ball)
Trainer 4 - 2HKO, 2HKO (endure spam)
Trainer 5 - 2HKO, OHKO. (switched to Mohs)
By now, I'm seeing a trend of constant reliance on Acid Armor to bump up defensive presence which tells me this gym is geared against the physical attackers who are bound to be used to take them down.
Trainer 6 - OHKO, OHKO.

Brycen time!

VS Gym Leader Brycen!
T1: Vanillish v Mohs
Acid Armor!
Rock Slide!

T2:
Mirror Shot! (72/110)
Stealth Rock!

T3:
Mirror Shot! (36/110)
Rock Slide KO!
Mohs grew to lv. 39!

T4: Sofia v Beartic
(Stealth Rock damage!)
Swagger!
Sofia hurt itself.

T5: Full Heal!
Icicle Crash! (64/106, after confuse damage)

T6:
Icicle Crash! (34/106)
Will-O-Wisp!

T7: Hyper Potion!
Brine!

T8:
Swagger!
Sofia hurt itself.

T9: Full Heal!
Brine!

T10:
Brine! (38/106)
Shadow Ball KO!
Sofia grew to lv. 40!

T11: Darwin v. Cryogonal
(Stealth Rock damage!)
Wake-Up Slap KO!

Defeated Brycen!

Nice. Got the Freeze Badge and TM79 (Frost Breath). As I leave the gym, Bianca and Cheren are waiting for me...And Cheren is having an existential crisis. Go figure. We're cut short by Brycen rushing out and hollering about ninjas. To absolutely no one's surprise (seriously, these plotlines are predictable as heck), the Shadow Triad were hiding. They want me to go to Dragonspiral. Okay. Lemme get my teammates first.

I gave Mead the EXP share again - he really is in a bad place compared to the others.

Dragonspiral time. Let's rip up the place, eh? Bianca and the elder Juniper join me. Juniper tells me about the tower being a mythical location where the dragon awaits a hero. I'm gonna run in there and rip through Team Plasma like I'm the Doomguy. The Old Gateau is a nice gift too.

...Something is losing its mind at the top of the ancient, ruined tower. This is extremely OSHA non-compliant. >:( Cheren calls to me to let me know about being able to walk on the columns. Greaaaaat. And the grand adventure of Obelisk stopping Plasma comes to an end with a leg injury. Sure.

My Dragonspiral encounter is- HELL YES. A level 32 Golett! Its name is Ctesibius, after a Greek inventor who described the earliest feedback-controlled mechanism in 270 BC. I'll add him to the party later. Found a Hyper Potion right after, as well. And a Stardust.

I got the Shiny Stone from that jump puzzle. Neat. And suddenly, an army of Grunts. Grunt 1 put up a modest fight, but that Watchog isn't useful at this level. He went down in two hits after some healing and flinch hax. Grunt 2 went down in two hits. Grunt 3...2HKO. Grunt 4, 2HKO and OHKO. Grunt 5- Good God, these guys are endless. 2HKO, OHKO, OHKO. Found a Dragon Fang as well.

Circle puzzle...Let's see. Star Piece, Stardust, revive on the dangerous walkways. And that rampaging thing just yelled "Burn baby burn!". Excuse me? Max Elixir found as I puzzle over that statement. And then I'm surrounded by Plasma Grunts. (P1) 2HKO, OHKO, (P2) OHKO, (P3) OHKO, OHKO, (P4) 2HKO!

Finally. Top floor now, let's see- oh no. Reshiram's awake. That cutscene's sick, though! Shut up, N. Stop blabbing and just get on with it. Shut up shut up shut up- oh, he's gone. "How did this happen?" Well, it's obvious. Paralyzed for plot convenience. Now we have to go on an annoyingly long side quest to get what we're looking for. Hint: BLACK ROCK IN LENORA GYM- they ignored me and teleported me out of the tower. Alder comes out of nowhere to ramble about the legends. Relic Castle, then. First things first...Mead has been boxed. They're falling behind and even a Lampent isn't going to work here. I'm in dire need of something sturdier, so it's time to bring Ctesibius on board and evolve it...And here's my obligatory mention of Golurk being able to learn Fly.

I head over to route 8 to get a catch and clear the trainers for XP. I'm hoping it's enough to push Ctes to lv. 42. The encounter is a Palpitoad. Permabox. I'll at least give it the name of Louis, after Louis Agassiz. He was a noted scientist who unfortunately ruined himself with scientific racism, creationism and resistance Darwin's ideas that manifested in his works.

Anyways, I was getting mobbed by wild Palpitoads, so I had to retreat to get some repels before moving forward with the trainer business.

Poison barb, check. Inconvenient Ranger - OHKO, 2HKO, 3HKO. Found a TM36 (Sludge Bomb) and a Full Heal before challenging the Parasol Lady. OHKO, crit OHKO. Ranger #2 - 2HKO. I got a Pecha and found an Ultra Ball...wait, Moor of Icirrus?!

What is this place? I'm gonna catch a pokemon then explore. Eh...Double dupe. No catch here. Trainer - OHKO, OHKO. Trainer 2 - 2HKO, 3HKO. Trainer 3 - 2HKO, 5HKO. Trainer 4 - 3HKO, OHKO, 3HKO.

Items:
Ultra Ball
Carbos
Max Potion
Sitrus Berry x2
Max Elixir
Max Revive

Back onto route 8 now. I got TM42 (Facade) from a Parasol Lady. Fisherman - OHKO, OHKO. Parasol Lady - OHKO. Got an Icy Rock from the nice lady at the Tubeline Bridge entrance. Found a TM91 while working my way back to the desert, too…As well as a bunch of trainers previously inaccessible due to the winter.

I arrive at the Relic Castle. Cheren stops me. Apparently I beat him to it? Yet, Alder got ahead of me. One of the Sages was waiting for me, so I guess I have a gauntlet of Grunts.

Grunt 1 - 2HKO, OHKO, OHKO.

Max Potion found.

Grunt 2 - crit OHKO, 2HKO.

Grunt 3 - 2HKO.

TM30 found.

Grunt 4 - OHKO.

Revive found.

Grunt 5 - OHKO, OHKO, OHKO.

PP Up found.

Found a Sun Stone after accidentally taking the wrong sandpit. As if that's a sentence that makes sense.

Grunt 6 - aw, man. I was hoping this guy and the lady next to him were a double battle. OHKO, OHKO.

Grunt 7 - see above. "I won't tolerate anyone with different ideas!" >americanpolitics.jpg OHKO, OHKO.

Found Alder and Ghetsis, with Cheren right behind me. Alder drags us to his side. What, are we his bodyguards?! All that Ghetsis says is that I have to resurrect Zekrom to stop the Plasmas from fulfilling their plans. To be fair though, Ghetsis kinda burns the hell out of Alder for being a negligent Champion. God, shut up Ghetsis. He is very clearly a sadist. We teleport back out and get called by Juniper. Nacrene City? The museum, of course.

I get back to Nacrene in a few minutes thanks to Pokemon towns and routes being next to each other in a super compressed overworld. I see everyone clustered around the entrance, so I think I'll stop here before the next scripted sequence. That'll be it for now, see you all next time!

after all of that, i still don't have a flying golurk :(

QuietGuardian

🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ground
Nice, badge 7 obtained with no deaths! You're making progress!

Obelisk

no sleep only wepears
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric
Pokédex Entry
@QuietGuardian Hopes went up and then came crashing down.
In which the cycle begins anew.

Update 11: Even Diamonds Shatter

Allllll right, let's deal with Unova's scripting. Yes, I got caught up in something serious, Cedric! It's called a scripted sequence! At any rate, Lenora gives me the Dark Stone I need to continue. Alder stops her last second to warn me that I'll fight N if he wins against Alder. Duh, that's where the plot is going. So obviously, I say yes. Dark Stone acquired.

And of course, no one knows how to awaken the dragon. So, off to Opelucid City, then. I'll finally have a flying golem by then. Cue long bike trip and the heroic sacrifice of dozens of repels. As I'm about to enter the Tubeline Bridge, Bianca stops me. She says she wants to learn about Pokemon, so she challenges me to a fight.

VS Rival Bianca
T1: Sofia v. Stoutland
Crunch Critical Hit! (34/108)
Will-O-Wisp miss!

T2: Switched to Mohs!
Crunch Critical Hit! (86/116)

T3:
Work Up!
Rock Slide miss?

T4:
Work Up!
Rock Slide!

T5: Switched to Cuil
(missed the move)

T6:
Retaliate!
Cuil died…

T7: Sent out Jane!
Sleep Powder!

T8:
Quiver Dance!

T9:
Giga Drain KO!

T10: Mohs v. Emboar
Assurance!
Stealth Rock!

T11: Max Potion!
Assurance!

T12:
Assurance!
Rock Slide Critical Hit!

T13: Bianca used a Full Restore!
Strength!

T14:
Assurance!
Rock Slide!

T15:
Assurance!
Rock Slide!
Ctesibius grew to lv. 39!

T16: Sofia v Simisage
Max Potion!
(missed what the Simisage used)

T17:
Seed Bomb!
Shadow Ball!

T18: Full Restore!
Shadow Ball OHKO!

T19: Sofia v Musharna
Shadow Ball!
Hypnosis!

T20: Switched to Darwin.
Psybeam!

T21:
Tail Slap KO!

Defeated Bianca.

Well, okay. She gave me a Full Restore (rude) and then ran off after telling me she thought she was bothering me (rude). "All I wanted was to help you relax! (...) You'll totally be fine!" (rude). Finally. Now I gotta go back to Icirrus to replace my resident mindscrew theory.

In that case, Mead is coming back. I'm at a stage of the game where screwing around isn't going to pay off, so I gotta bear with Mead's slow growth curve until they're ready to destroy. Anyways, getting back on the bridge, I get a Flame Charge machine. Nice. Then the Triad grabs me and drags me to Ghetsis, only for him to give me some stupid lecture that's only half-truth at best and reveals his motivation. Idiot.

As soon as I leave the bridge and enter route 9, a baseballer throws TM56 Fling at me. Convenient joke is convenient. I also decide to sweep all of the trainers on the route so I can get XP for everyone. First guy's a Biker, done in with two OHKOs. Then a Roughneck who doesn't put up much of a fight. I found another Roughneck who landed a crit on Mohs that was one point of health away from triggering Sturdy- Jeez. Jane put the Scraggy to sleep and retaliated. Then a Biker I accidentally walked in front of - Darwin wiped out his Pawniard in one shot. Found an HP up and a dead-end in the grass. I'm gonna let the repel wear off and get my catch here. Got a Full Restore too, neat.

My encounter here is a Duosion! Level 36 female, who is resisting my attempts at capture- "Mohs fainted. Use next Pokémon?"

>Mohs fainted.

>M o h s f a i n t e d.

Of all the things to happen, I lost Mohs to Future Sight…? I'm just gonna go five deep for now. The Duosion is Rosalind, after Rosalind Franklin, a molecular biologist.*

(*author's note: I was absolutely gutted when this happened and just mentally shut down in order to keep going. Even now, half a day after that happened, I'm still upset. Mohs was an awesome little pebble.)

Finally, the double battle on the route. OHKO and 2HKO. Whatever. Found a PP Up in the mall after some exploring.

And of course, I forget that there are trainers in the mall. Jane made quick work of them. Got a Thunderstone, too. Quick note to myself: Rotom room is over here in the mall.

I enter Opelucid and get dragged into a debate between Alder and Ghetsis...Whatever, get out of my way. I hate how this is intentionally in between the player and the Center. Anyways, I get to the center and take stock of my path ahead. My team is 40/41 and the ace of the gym is 43. I should be fine to go through and let the gym XP offset the level gap. This is almost a full team effort, though. I'm probably going to need to use Mead And Ctesibius as soon as they evolve (and Ctesibius would be eligible for dodging certain moves thanks to Fly). Let's scout the gym trainers as soon as I clear the last scripted sequence. The sequence basically repeats what we know about the Stones and Unova's history. My opponent is Iris, whose ace is a Haxorus that's packing Dragon Dance. My play on that one is to bait it out by KOing the lead with a Ghost-type and having Jane come in and put it to sleep, then beating it down before it gets going. Hopefully. 75 accuracy is a scary thing in these situations.

Let's see. Obligatory Fresh Water.

Gym:
Trainer 1 - 2HKO
Trainer 2 - crit OHKO
Mead evolved into Lampent.
Trainer 3 - OHKO, OHKO
Trainer 4 - OHKO
Trainer 5 - 4HKO (tail slap). Darwin died due to Rough Skin recoil.

Damn it. I need to get the hell out of this gym and get a new team member up and moving. This gym has a major "you can't leave" issue in its design and I hate it. > you can't use dig here

rrrgh. This is freaking stupid. The only way to progress is to waltz right into suicide.

Trainer 6 - OHKO x3
Trainer 7 - OHKO, 2HKO (most stressful 2hk of my life ever)
Trainer 8 - OHKO x2

Wait, wha- oh my God, finally. They gave me an exit. Time to get out of here and grind. That was way too much stress and effort. Literally had to sleep powder-Quiver Dance to +4 or +5 in every battle.

First things first - Route 10 catch. A Lv. 33 Throh! This oughta be good. His name is Newton, after Isaac Newton. Got a full heal.

Time to grind. Everyone to 43 and then we're going back into the gym. I also cleaned out the trainers on Rt. 10 just for the sake of getting a Dusk Stone. TM05 Roar also acquired.

Mead evolved into Chandelure.

I'll admit, the trainers are a bit of a struggle. Gen 5 power creep is absolutely brutal.

Ctesibius evolved into Golurk. About time.

Mistralton Cave: Boldore dupe, then female Woobat. I tried to Google the name of some female scientists so I could have an appropriate name for the Woobat, but Google has, uh ...questionable taste in results. In that case, her name is Rachel, after Rachel Carson. Her work contributed to the global environmental movement.

I managed to stumble into Guidance Chamber. It's a different named area, so...My encounter is...Another Boldore dupe. And an Axew! Sweet. Since it's a reptile, I can only give it one appropriate name. Irwin, after the legendary wildlife expert Steve Irwin. And...Hello, Cobalion.

VS Cobalion
Go, Ctesibius!
T1:
Iron Head!
Brick Break!

T2:
Retaliate! It had no effect.
Brick Break!

T3:
Helping Hand! It failed.
Brick Break KO!

I've just unlocked Terrakion and Virizion, although I think one of them is in Victory Road. Off to Pinwheel Forest! Hello, Virizion.

VS Virizion
Go, Ctesibius!
T1:
Helping Hand! It failed.
Ctes flew up high!

T2:
Retaliate miss!
Fly OHKO!
see this is why I like Fly on Golurk
Rosalind grew to lv. 39

Back to Route 10 to finish the grind. Incidentally, why are there Herdier all the way up here?

Rosalind evolved into Reuniclus.

Everyone's at 43 now. That was faster than I was expecting. Let's get this beating done, then. Headed back to the Gym - I'm gonna lead with Mead and keep Newton as Plan B, using Circle Throw to screw up Iris' strategy.

VS Gym Leader Iris!
T1: Fraxure v Mead
Shadow Ball OHKO!

T2: Newton v Druddigon
Night Slash critical hit!
Circle Throw! Haxorus was dragged out!

T3:
Dragon Dance!
Circle Throw! Druddigon was dragged out!

T4:
Revenge!
Circle Throw miss…

T5:
Revenge!
Circle Throw miss…

T6: Switched for Mead
Dragon Tail! Rosalind was dragged out!

T7:
Night Slash!
Psychic critical hit! KO!

T8: Sofia v Haxorus

Alright. Here we go.
Assurance! Mummy triggered. (79/117)
Will-O-Wisp miss...

T9:
Dragon Dance!
Will-O-Wisp! Haxorus was burned.

T10:
Assurance! (49/117)
Hex KO!

Defeated Iris!

Received the 8th and final badge, the Legend Badge! I also got TM82 Dragon Tail. As I was leaving, Juniper stopped me. She came by to report on how to awaken Zekrom (results inconclusive), then shows me to Route 10, where the entrance to Victory Road lies. As for her question ...no. I don't regret starting on my journey. She gives me the Master Ball in turn, then wishes me luck and leaves. There's one last thing to do before going through Victory Road, and that's the battle with Cheren.

(oh, and the route gate lady told me about the Tornadus/Thundurus thing triggering on route 7, I'll do that in the next update.)

As I guessed, Cheren stops me at the bridge and comes over to battle me one last time.

VS Rival Cheren
T1: Unfezant v Mead
Taunt!
Mead was unable to use Will-O-Wisp.

T2:
Air Slash! Critical Hit!
Flame Burst!

T3: Switched for Ctesibius.
Detect failed.

T4:
Detect!
Ctesibius flew up high!

T5:
Taunt miss!
Fly!

T6:
Air Slash!
Ctes flinched.

T7:
Detect!
Brick Break failed.

T8:
Air Slash! (65/143)
Brick Break KO!
Mead grew to lv. 44.

T9: Mead v Serperior
Hyper Potion!
Leaf Blade! Flame Body triggered.

T10:
Coil!
Flame Burst!
Leftovers, burn damage.

T11:
Giga Drain!
Flame Burst KO!

T12: Jane v Simipour
Leer!
Giga Drain OHKO!

T13: Newton v Liepard
Taunt!
Brick Break OHKO!

Defeated Cheren.

Cheren, man. He hasn't been easy at all during this entire journey. At least he's humble now instead of the arrogant, rude guy he was at the start. Bianca gives me Max Revives to help me out. They leave me, so I head up to the entrance of the badge check hall. This is where I'm stopping for now.

That'll be it for this update. See you next time.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
OSHA compliance? What's that? If your protagonist actually did get a leg injury, then no more gym battles, I guess? Come on, there's gotta be some sort of contingency plan for that. Like, battling outside? On normal-ass ground? No?

I love the Gollett line! I've never used one, though. .-.

The fact that gen 5 gives us this makes me forgive it for all the heartbreak.
My encounter here is a Duosion! Level 36 female, who is resisting my attempts at capture- "Mohs fainted. Use next Pokémon?"

>Mohs fainted.

>M o h s f a i n t e d.

Happy thoughts, happy thoughts...

>Axew named after Steve Irwin
No, stay safe... T-T

QuietGuardian

🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ground
Agh, that's a rough update. Rest in peace, Mohs, you wonderful rock. (Sad that Cuil and Darwin died, too, but Mohs is the big one.)

But even with all that, you're still going! You have some good Pokémon on your team, you've got all the badges now, and you've made it through the final essential rival battles of the run. Those Ghost and Dark weaknesses are things to watch out for, particularly with the Unova E4 looming on the horizon, but you're not totally screwed; your own Ghost Pokémon (especially Mead, with that wonderful STAB Shadow Ball off of 145 base Special Attack) are strong against ghosts themselves, and Newton (great name) has a substantial advantage over Dark types. Just take things steadily and consult Serebii/Bulbapedia for Trainer rosters when you need to, especially now that you're at Victory Road.

Obelisk

no sleep only wepears
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric
Pokédex Entry
@Bowser's Family Vacation as much as I hate Unova personally, that flying Golurk is always going to be my favorite thing here.

@QuietGuardian I have it in my head that rock mons that shatter or die simply fall into smaller base forms, so I imagine there's a tiny Mohs running around Unova somewhere.

You have some good Pokémon on your team, you've got all the badges now, and you've made it through the final essential rival battles of the run.
...About that. Serebii didn't help much.

Update 12: Disaster At The Top

Hey all! First things first, I gotta deal with the cloud-man legendary, so I fly back to Route 7. There's a massive thunderstorm and an old lady drags me indoors to keep me safe, then gives me soup. So it's Thundurus in this version, huh? As I leave, I get paid a surprise visit by Thundurus. Let's have Mead whup it when I find it in the grass...Two Shadow Balls is all I needed. I enter the Badge check halls.

Something I appreciate about the Badge check is how each official has something epic to say based on the badge being checked.

Now I'm here, at Victory Road. Let's get to work. First things first, an encounter. I've got a Lv. 39 female Meinfoo - nice, but I already have Newton. The Meinfoo's name is going to be Maria, after Maria Goeppert Mayer. Mayer won the Nobel Prize for her discoveries on nuclear shell structures. That aside, time to Repel and reference Serebii for this leg of the journey so I don't have any surprises.

First trainer's got two Lv. 45 team members which doesn't bode well for me. I have lv. 43-44 across…Anyways, Mead OHKOs the Whimsicott and grows to lv. 45, and Ctesibius cleanly 2HKOs the Zebstrika, growing to lv. 44. Zebstrika apparently couldn't do anything to me, seeing that it could only use Agility.

Second trainer - Leading with Stoutland. Say hi to Newton. It did some hefty damage to Newton, but Newton took it down in two hits. He also grew to lv. 44. I had Rosalind sent out to deal with the Scolipede that was sent out. It whiffed Toxic and got OHKO'd. Good progress, at least.

I found a TM12, which is good. I may not have much use for Taunt right now, but we'll see how the E4 looks.

Third trainer - Scrafty lead. Newton wiped it out. Then a Meinfoo which...didn't last very long, as it U-Turned to Conkeldurr. He fell in two hits. Rosalind grew to lv. 44, then OHKO'd the Meinfoo.

Oh hey, I found a field doctor already. Mead wiped out his Gothorita? Man, the spelling baffles me. And I had Sofia deal with his Leavanny so she can catch up. What's funny is the AI tried Entrainment (presumably to nullify Mummy)...after the Leavanny already set off Mummy's effects.

Fifth trainer - Beheeyem lead which Mead was switched into- eeeegh that's a lot of damage :/ Had to send in Jane to try and sleep it, which didn't work. Had to heal Jane because she dropped to 20 HP… The second Sleep Powder connected, thankfully, giving me a chance to crank up on Quiver Dance- nevermind. It woke up the next turn, WTF? Giga Drain did save me enough HP that I was able to wipe it out before it put undue pressure on my team. Newton levelled up from this traumatic experience, too. The Heatmor went down quickly, but the Lilligant very nearly killed Sofia! She was left at 4/117 HP after two rounds…But the Lilligant went down from burn damage anyways. Sofia levelled up.

Sixth trainer - Leading with a Simisage. Hey, uh...The "Worst Pokemon" club is on the other end of the region. And Leer won't work because I have Haze. He went down in three hits. Does...Does this Ace Trainer seriously have all three monkeys this late in the game? Jane grew to lv. 45. All three went down Leering...go figure. Ctesibius grew to Lv. 45. Oh, nice! I got a free Full Restore...off the ground, that is!

Seventh trainer - Klang. That really grinds my gears. Thankfully, Hex did its job...despite the gen 5 Steel resistance to Ghost. Sofia grew to lv. 45. His Darmanitan is super concerning, so I had Ctesibius go out. Thankfully it went down easily. Bulldoze OP. Then a Seismitoad, which Rosalind dealt with in three hits.

Eighth trainer - Leading with a Gigalith. How dare you taunt me like that...Especially critting on EQ and threatening Rosalind's life. However, because Rosalind has prior experience killing the Roggenrola line *cough*mohs*cough*, she took it down. She grew to lv. 45 too. Mead took out the eel, gaining a level in the process.

Oh, look! I found a pathway. Hello, Terrakion.

VS Terrakion! Go, Ctesibius!
T1 -
Sacred Sword fail
Bulldoze! Terrakion's Speed fell.

T2 -
Sacred Sword fail.
Bulldoze KO!

And now I'm here at the League. Quickly healed the team so I can settle down and assess the situation. Let's see what we're dealing with.

So in this Elite Four, we have Ghost, Psychic, Dark and Fighting. For Ghost and Psychic, I have Mead with its massive SpA and Shadow Ball and Ctesibius as a physical option, although I need to tutor them some moves. For Dark, I have Newton. He'll show them the laws of physics. For Fighting, I have Rosalind. She's packing both Psyshock and Psychic so I can try to hit Marshall's team on their lower defenses on both sides. I also have Sofia and Mead with Will-O-Wisp and Ctesibius with Bulldoze to serve as attack and speed control respectively.

So now I'm gonna grind to 53 across (so I can be at 54 for the Hydreigon at the end) and overhaul movesets where I can-

*Ctesibius dies to crit Iron Head from wild Durant*

...Welp. I'm not gonna even waste time protesting that. Ctesibius was only taking about 22% off that move and was just over half health when it crit. Now I don't have a Fly user.

In the meanwhile, I've added Irwin to the party and I'm gonna run down to Route 5 to grind money - you can buy berries off a lady there and sell them to the food maniac inside the truck for a good chunk of change. Oh, and regular grinding.

(a/n obelisk was thinking of BW2 and did not get what he wanted)

(a/n: bankrupted myself by accident by trying to get fire blast. didn't get fire blast, walked away 70000 poke short and with thunder.)

A wild Durant outsped and killed Mead.

I added my Sandile, Ritcher, to the team to replace Mead for the time being, but that absolutely blows. On the flip side, grinding by the route doctor has been netting me a ton of gems I can sell to the Ore Maniac so I at least have that chance of profit and being able to stock my healing items when I'm ready. I'm also leaving Ritcher as a Sandile until he gets Earthquake.

I've got four pokemon at the level I need, so I'm going to try and steer away from Durant for the last two-

> Couldn't get away!
> Durant used Bug Bite!
> A critical hit! It's super effective!
> Jane fainted.

…Crap.

In response to that, I added Louis (Palpitoad) to the party and got back to grinding. Now, I have a full team at lv. 53 across and a ton of gems to sell off! With that aside and a healthy stock of Hyper Potions/Full Heals at the ready, it's time to recap the team before storming the E4.

Louis / Seismitoad / Lv. 53
Bashful / Poison Touch
180 / 111 / 107 / 98 / 92 / 101
Rain Dance / Aqua Ring / Surf / Drain Punch

Rosalind / Reuniclus / lv. 53
Impish / Magic Guard
192 / 100 / 105 / 126 / 106 / 51
Psyshock / Flash Cannon / Shadow Ball / Psychic

Ritcher / Krookodile / Lv. 53
Hardy / Moxie
175 / 150 / 123 / 88 / 88 / 113
Torment / Sandstorm / Crunch / Earthquake

Sofia / Cofagrigus / Lv. 53
Rash / Mummy
142 / 80 / 189 / 144 / 113 / 57
Haze / Hex / Shadow Ball / Will-O-Wisp

Irwin / Haxorus / Lv. 53
Relaxed / Rivalry
159 / 186 / 159 / 82 / 82 / 111
Dragon Dance / Shadow Claw / Brick Break / Dragon Claw

Newton / Throh / Lv. 53
Hasty / Inner Focus
203 / 139 / 116 / 41 / 111 / 78
Strength / Circle Throw / Brick Break / Bulk Up

Cool. So my E4 sequence here is going to be: Grimsley, Marshall, Caitlin, Shauntal...Using only Newton, Rosalind, and Ritcher if everything goes as intended. As for N, I will opt out of using Zekrom and box it in favor of using the team members I already have - Ritcher should be able to clean up the Reshiram nicely. Ghetsis? That's why I have Irwin. Dragon Dance to +3 minimum on the lead, then go for broke and try to stomp out Ghetsis before the Hydreigon can do anything.

Here we go. Entering Grimsley's chamber. Bring it on.

VS Elite Four Grimsley
T1: Newton vs Scrafty
Brick Break!
Sand Attack!

T2:
Brick Break miss!
Brick Break!

T3:
Brick Break miss…
Brick Break!

T4:
Switched for Sofia!
Brick Break fail

T5:
Switched for Newton!
Crunch!

T6:
Brick Break KO!

T7: Liepard sent out!
Fake Out crit!
Inner Focus triggered
Brick Break OHKO!

T8: Bisharp sent out
Aerial Ace - CRAP! (26/203!)
Brick Break OHKO!

T9: Krookodile sent out! Switched to Louis!
Earthquake!
Surf OHKO!

Defeated Grimsley.

I...forgot Bisharp had Aerial Ace. That could've been nasty. Thankfully everyone came out fine, if a little excessively beaten up. Next up, Marshall. Rosalind will lead here.

VS Elite Four Marshall
T1: Rosalind vs Throh
Payback! (150/192)
Psychic! (not quite an OHKO…)

T2: Throh healed.
Shadow Ball!

T3:
Payback! (106/192)
Psychic KO!

T4: Switched for Sofia to counter Mienshao.
Rock Slide!
Shadow Ball! Sp Def dropped.

T5:
Rock Slide!
Sofia flinched.

T6:
Rock Slide crit!
Shadow Ball KO!

T7: Switched to Rosalind for Sawk.
Stone Edge!
Psychic! Sturdy triggered.

T8: double heal

T9:
Stone Edge!
Psychic! Sturdy triggered.

T10:
Stone Miss!
Shadow Ball KO!

T11: Conkeldurr sent out!
Stone Miss!
Psychic OHKO!

Defeated Marshall.

That was a bit tough. Now let's see what our Moxie-sporting friend can do to the remaining two…

VS Elite Four Caitlin
T1: Ritcher vs Reuniclus
Torment!
Focus Blast! - gggh! 25/175

T2: Switched for Sofia to buy time for healing. I need Ritcher out there for moxie.
Energy Ball.

T3:
Shadow Ball!
Psychic!

T4: Double heal

T5: Healed Ritcher
Thunder!

I only just now realized I spelled Richter wrong and that's going to annoy me to no end…

T6:
Shadow Ball!
Psychic! - gggggh! 7/142 and her sp. def is falling.

T7: Switched for Irwin.
Full Restore.
Thunder crit!

T8: Switched for Ritcher!
Psychic fail.

T9:
Crunch! Not quite an OHKO-
Focus Blast! 11/175 ggggh

T10:
Crunch KO! Moxie boost.

T11: Sigilyph sent out.
Healed Ritcher.
Shadow Ball crit! Sp def down.

T12: Switched for Louis!
Ice Beam!

T13: Healed Ritcher.
Psychic!

T14: Healed Louis
Psychic crit! - ugh. 36/180

T15: Sent in Rosalind-
Shadow Ball!

T16:
Shadow Ball! 45/193
Shadow Ball!

T17: Healed Rosalind
Shadow Ball!

T18:
Shadow Ball! (39/193)
Shadow Ball KO!

T19: Ritcher vs Musharna
Sandstorm!
Reflect!

T20:
Torment!
Shadow Ball!

T21:
Earthquake!
Reflect fail

T22:
Crunch KO!
Moxie triggered.

T23: Gothielle sent out.
Crunch!
Shadow Ball!
Sandstorm ended.
Reflect ended.

T24:
Crunch KO!

Defeated Caitlin.

How rude of them to have coverage threatening my entire team! >:( Cost me half of my potions, too...Time for a tactic switch with Shauntal.

VS Elite Four Shauntal
T1: Irwin vs Cofagrigus
Dragon Dance!
Shadow Ball!

T2:
Dragon Dance!
Shadow Ball! Sp Def dropped. 42/159

T3:
Shadow Claw! OH MY GOD NO IT SURVIVED ON ONE HP- Shadow Ball! Irwin fainted…

T4: Ritcher sent out!
Cofagrigus healed.
EQ!

T5:
EQ KO! Moxie triggered. Ritcher grew to Lv. 54.

T6: Jellicent sent out.
Crunch OHKO! Moxie triggered.

T7: Golurk sent out
Crunch OHKO! Moxie triggered.

T8:
Crunch OHKO!

Defeated Shauntal.

>:( Now I need to reorganize my team and be ready for N because...ugh. And here's N, having freshly kicked Alder's butt. Cue dramatic castle summoning. Get out of here, N. I'm coming for you. The Six Sages try to stop me but the Gym Leaders intervene and give me a chance to go.

"There is nothing more beautiful and terrifying than innocence." This is very true. An innocent mind does not understand the full breadth of an issue at hand, and it naively follows the path it deems best without feeling the twigs it snaps on that path.

Looking ahead, Reshiram is specially offensive. Of the surviving Pokemon on my team, Newton has the highest combined HP and Sp Def. However, I'm not sure if he can survive an Extrasensory from the Reshiram. Hyper Beam and Fusion Flare are also frightening moves and nothing on the team resist more than one type. I may try to lead with Louis to Rain Dance so Fusion Flare gets nerfed, but...this is an awful battle. My best shot, without using Zekrom or if Zekrom dies, is Newton surviving a hit and using Circle Throw to force out Reshiram for later - although if Ritcher outspeeds I could potentially EQ or Sandstorm. I've got no choice but to use Zekrom.

Hello, Ghetsis. Goodbye, Ghetsis.

I've entered the throne room to awaken Zekrom and face N. I will not be nicknaming Zekrom due to the nature of the situation I'm in.

VS PLASMA KING N
T1: ZEKROM VS RESHIRAM
Fusion Flare!
DragonBreath!

T2:
Fusion Flare!
Zen Headbutt miss!

T3:
Hyper Beam miss!
Zen Headbutt!

T4:
Healed Zekrom.
Extrasensory!

T5:
Extrasensory crit! (50/175)
Zen Headbutt!
T6: double heal!

T7:
Fusion Flare!
Fusion Bolt!

T8:
Hyper Beam! (47/175)
Fusion Bolt!

T9:
Reshiram must recharge!
Fusion Bolt!

T10: Healed Zekrom.
Hyper Beam!

T11:
Reshiram must recharge!
DragonBreath KO!

T12: Newton vs Vanilluxe!
Hail!
Brick Break!
Ice Body healing.

T13:
Blizzard! (118/203)
Brick Break KO!
Newton grew to lv. 54!

T14: Ritcher v Klingklang
Earthquake OHKO!
Moxie triggered!
Ritcher grew to lv. 55!

T15: Zoroark sent out.
Focus Miss.
Earthquake OHKO!
Moxie triggered!

T16: Carracosta sent out.
Sandstorm!
Waterfall!

T17: Switched for Louis!
Waterfall!

T18:
Drain Punch!
Waterfall!

T19:
Surf crit KO!

T20: Sofia sent out. Archeops sent out.
Crunch! (88/142)
Mummy triggered. Fug.
Shadow Ball!
Sandstorm ended.

T21: Switched to Newton-
Archeops used Acrobatics!
Newton fainted!

T22: Zekrom sent out. Healed Zekrom.
Dragon Claw.

T23:
Stone Edge! (5/175)
Fusion Bolt KO!

Defeated N.

N monologues about what the world is really like. And here comes trouble. Hi, Ghetsis.

VS PLASMA SAGE GHETSIS
T1: Zekrom vs Cofagrigus!
Switched for Ritcher.
Toxic!

T2:
Protect!
Sandstorm!

T3: Full Heal on Ritcher!
Shadow Ball!

T4:
Earthquake OHKO!

T5: Kept Ritcher in on the dreaded Hydreigon. Hoping to outspeed...
Focus Blast!
Ritcher fainted.

T6: Sent out Louis!
Dragon Pulse!
Drain Punch!

T7:
Switched in Sofia!
Dragon pulse!

T8: Healed.
Dragon Pulse!

T9: Switched in Rosalind!
Dragon Pulse!

T10:
Dragon Pulse! (24/193)
Flash Cannon!

T11:
Healed Rosalind!
Fire Blast!

T12:
Dragon Pulse! (24/193)
Flash Cannon!

T13: Ghetsis used the Full Restore…
Healed Rosalind

T14:
Dragon Pulse!
Flash Cannon!

T15:
Dragon Pulse!
Flash Cannon!

T16:
Healed Rosalind. I have three Hyper Potions left.
Surf!

T17:
Dragon Pulse crit!
Rosalind fainted.

T18: Sent out Louis.
Dragon Pulse! (16/180)
Aqua Ring!

T19:
Healed Louis.
Surf!
Aqua Ring recovery.

T20:
Focus Blast! (30/180)
Drain Punch!
Poison Touch triggered.
Aqua Ring recovery.
Poison damage.

T21: Used my last Hyper Potion on Louis.
Focus Blast! Critical Hit! (28/180)

T22: Switched in Sofia! I'm sorry, Sofia...
Surf!
Sofia fainted.
Hydreigon fainted.
Louis grew to lv. 54.

T23: Zekrom sent out. Bouffalant sent out.
Fusion Bolt!
Head Charge!

T24:
Fusion Bolt KO!
Zekrom grew to lv. 51.

T25: Louis v Seismitoad
Drain Punch!
Muddy Water!
Louis fainted.

T26: Zekrom sent out.

I am physically trembling right now. I can't tell if it's anger or if it's fear. Zekrom is absolutely dead if it doesn't crit and flinch. Even then it'll probably die to the Bisharp or Eelektross. Only one thing left to do.
Zen Headbutt!
Seismitoad flinched!

T27:
Zen Headbutt!
Earthquake!
Zekrom fainted.

Obelisk whited out…

At this time, I'd like to remind everyone of Rule 6: Loss = Run out of usable Pokémon in party and box.

I will be rebuilding my team from the remaining mons in my Box and trying again in the next update.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)