• Episode Four of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode will be the last one featuring chapters from Call of the Divines and Solstice! Tune in to hear what the story's creators have to say about these audio adaptations of their runs.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Unova Written Log Commentary Mon Cycle of Hurting - Pokemon White Nuzlocke

Thread Description
Obelisk makes his fourth attempt at an Unova nuzlocke. (Update 13: Please Just Stop)

Obelisk

no sleep only wepears
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric
Pokédex Entry
Eccentric 'locker obsessed with Magikarp.
Hey everyone, Obelisk here!

I decided I wanted to try my hand at a written log to take some pressure off of going through all of the writing for Devoured and having something where I can be direct with the readers about what happened where and why.

As for the name of the run - I’m going to be Nuzlocking Pokemon White. For some reason, this particular copy of White seems to be out for my blood! I’ve already wiped in all three prior attempts I’ve made at this game. To add a little extra into this written log, I’ll be putting up a playlist of what I listened to during each session/update.

So, yeah. This will be fun! /s

Before I forget, QuietGuardian's recent Unova storylocke, The Black Hole of Grief and Silliness, inspired me to try my hand at Unova once more.

The Rules:
  1. You can only catch the first encounter in any area.
    1. Pinwheel Clause: Pinwheel Exterior and Pinwheel Interior are separate encounters. Any other areas will be noted as well.
    2. Shiny Clause: All Shinies are to be captured. No exceptions.
    3. Gift Pokemon/Eggs: Gift Pokemon are fine, and count as encounters for their areas (i.e. the Elemental Monkey from the Dreamyard. Eggs are not allowed.
    4. Dupe Clause: You may make one more attempt at an encounter if you skip a duplicate Pokemon.
    5. Mandatory Mandate: Static encounters that you are forced to catch (i.e. Zekrom) are usable.
  2. Fainting means death.
  3. All Legendaries are unusable unless otherwise noted above in 1e. Knock out all legendaries.
  4. Naming Theme: Scientists/Mathematicians and Theories
  5. Win: Defeat Alder
  6. Lose: Run out of usable Pokemon in box and party.

Cycle Begins Anew: Update 0

Boo Night Fever Alternate Mix - SilvaGunner
Circus of the Dead - TryHardNinja
Till It’s Over - Tristiam
Close To Me - Sabrepulse
Propane Nightmares - Pendulum
Goodbye To A World - Porter Robinson
Language - Porter Robinson
Dreamer - Axwell ^ Ingrosso

So let’s get started with running this game on this ruleset. I’m going to be taking my time with this one since I really don’t want to get my butt kicked a fourth time by this region. To that end, I’ll lay some stuff out as I go along regarding how I will be getting through all of this.

The first thing is the starter! I tend to leave the starter on my team through the entire run, even if it doesn’t benefit me in any way. That means I need to make a choice based on what I can expect to deal with throughout the run - the Gym Leaders and E4 in particular are the ones I want to be mindful of, since we already all know what Ghetsis is like. It’d be more practical for me to eliminate as many variables as I can on the way to Ghetsis.

So looking at the types, I’m looking at:
  1. SE on starter
  2. Normal
  3. Bug
  4. Electric
  5. Ground
  6. Flying
  7. Ice
  8. Dragon

E4: Dark, Fighting, Psychic, Ghost

Snivy stays pure Grass throughout its entire evolutionary line, which means it has weaknesses to Bug, Flying, Fire (Chili) and Ice. Oshawott stays pure Water through its line, so it only has Grass (Cilan) and Electric. Tepig gains Fighting Type as it evolves, so it will have a weakness to Water (Cress), Flying, Ground and Psychic.

I’m going to go with Oshawott, since it has the fewest obvious weaknesses and can learn some very handy coverage moves later on that’ll hit a few gyms hard.

Right - time for the run. I will admit that I needed to Google how to erase a save on this cart...This is my fourth Nuzlocke attempt, why do I not remember this?!

Something that I really appreciate is just how much effort went into the sprite work on this generation of game - both in the trainer sprites and in the battle sprites. Everything feels lively and spontaneous, character proportions feel right in the overworld sprites and it feels much more sensible to me than the super-chibi in the previous games. Also, the battle sprites actually change speeds when low on HP or afflicted with paralysis/sleep. I’m not sure if it does anywhere but I guess I’ll find out in this run!

I gave myself the Trainer name of Obelisk...self-explanatory.

I also like how Juniper has to introduce you to your best friends...Wouldn’t dialogue hints have worked better here? She also notes that the journey begins when the player chooses the starter, which I don’t think any other region’s Professor actually does.

[Skipping all the boring dialogue (tl;dr Cheren is rude to Bianca lemme beat him up a bit) give me the starter already.]

Did you know you can pause the game and access the options before you even interact with the starter box? It’s odd that they’d do that here.

TL; DR: - OKAY I WAS ABOUT TO TLDR THAT I BLEW THROUGH THE FIGHTS BUT THEN THE TEPIG ROLLED A CRIT THAT OBLITERATED MY OSHAWOTT. Thankfully, the run doesn’t officially start until the Pokeballs are obtained. I really wasn’t kidding when I said this game was out to gut me - the Tepig crit on Turn 1 of the first battle. Cheren, on the other hand, got Oshawott to 6 HP but died to a crit Tackle that did over 80% HP to the Snivy.

With that embarrassment of a first battle aside, I go through the obligatory sequence to get to Professor Juniper. BTW, I seriously want to punch Bianca’s dad. God, they really know how to make hate sinks in this franchise (Bianca’s dad, Ghetsis, Faba, Lusamine*, etc.).

*please don’t hurt me lusamine fans

Quick note: The cutscene when you step out of your house for the first time, at night, shows Woobat. Isn’t it Pidove during the day? If so, that’s a really cool touch but...screw the game logic here because Woobat are only found in caves:

My Oshawott is Hasty, which...Not the greatest nature, but the speed boost could be helpful as hell later on and it isn’t hurting my offensive presence.

I’m naming him Barrow, after Isaac Barrow - Newton’s old teacher. He was also the Lucasian Professor of Mathematics before Newton took over and a noted brawler who was credited for driving off pirates with his swordsmanship during his travels in the Middle East.

And now I have the Pokedex and town map. I really like the little scene of the player and friends crossing into Route 1 together, but it feels a little...I don’t know? You’re introduced to these people you don’t know and then you’re made to watch the PC show their connection to these two within the first ten minutes - even though this isn’t shown much in any other part of the game. Also would have been amusing if all three sprites were in sync - Bianca is the opposite of Cheren and PC. Anyways, obligatory catching tutorial aside and done, I have my pokeballs now. It’s time to make my first catch!

On Route 1, I get a female Lv. 3 Patrat. Not gonna lie, I was hoping for a Lillipup. A catch is a catch, so - The Patrat just crit on my Oshawott first turn and I went from 21 HP to 9. Jeez. Chill, game.

Anyways, the Patrat is named Curie, after Marie Curie - Marie pioneered research on radioactive material and won two Nobel Peace prizes. Her work on radioactivity eventually did her in, tragically...Hopefully the Patrat isn’t cut down early.

I’m gonna end this update with grinding. Hoping to hit lv. 11 on both team members soon.

See you all in the next update!

Last edited:

io_

planning things is easier than writing them xdfbgn
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
preferably they/them please :) please don't be mad at me over it
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This friendly ghost lurks around sites of interest and tries to say hi. They may project a little too much onto their writing.
A Patrat called Curie? seems to be tempting fate xD let's see if she can live until she evolves!

this run isn't being gentle now is it... oh well, you may as well see how things go from here. Sometimes with nuzlockes that are out to get you, you grind to beat the Trainers but then the Pokemon die in grinding accidents so there's no easy way to win. Hopefully the rest of the run will be nicer? And yesssss please humiliate that rude Cheren kid

QuietGuardian

Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym
🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ground
Wow, Unova hasn't been kind to you. But I'm sure you can get through; if I can do it without healing in battle, then you certainly can without having to deal with that restriction!

Nice naming scheme; science and math are good things.

Obelisk

no sleep only wepears
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric
Pokédex Entry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Iola - That sums up how I wiped in one of my prior Unova attempts - grinding accidents wiped four of my team members and I was forced to take on Clay with a Dwebble and Liepard.

That went about as well as you'd expect it to.

@QuietGuardian I can certainly hope to get through this one. We'll see!
Lowkey some of the theory and scientist names are really amusing, but I love the subjects of science and math. Did you know that the number pi has all of your information in it somewhere? Everything about you, me and everyone in the world exists inside π.
Time for more Unova shenanigans.

Update 1: To the Striation Trio!
Shelter - Porter Robinson
They Need A Monster - MandoPony
Turning Over A New Leaf - MandoPony (I highly recommend this one for Animal Crossing fans)
Internet Friends - Knife Party (kinda NSFW)
From the Dark - TryHardNinja & Kraedt ft. Lollita
Sad Machine - Porter Robinson
Ghost - Mystery Skulls
Everything Changes - TryHardNinja
Ghost of a Girl - Bonecage
Nightmare By Design - TryHardNinja
This Far - MandoPony
Duolingo - CG5
Hey, everyone! Forgot to note something in the last post - Curie is Hardy nature. Anyways, I’m done with grinding now - surprisingly uneventful and nary a crit to be seen - so it’s time to advance the plot. Can I just say, though, that the Unova EXP system is absolute garbage? It screws with the tempo of the game and turns grinding from a necessary affair to borderline torture. I’ve already spent five or more hours into this cart just trying to bring Curie and Barrow up to speed. Also got the free Potion from the random NPC on route 1. And at the end of route 1, I’m forced to compare the number of Pokemon I have with Bianca and Cheren. Unsurprisingly, it’s a three-way tie.

And with them aside, it’s time to go through the obligatory Pokemon Center tutorial (where I bought 11 potions and 1 Poke Ball) and “l i s t e n i n g” to Ghetsis’ speech about Pokemon liberation. Cheren, who dragged me to the speech, and I are accosted by N.

Oh boy, here we go.
VS Pokemon Trainer N -
T1: Barrow v Purrloin
Water Gun! (~70% damage)
Scratch!

T2 -
Water Gun KO

I, uh, apparently didn’t need to do a turn-by-turn for this one but N is still a significant recurring character so he gets the battle notes treatment. aNyways, he runs off after that. So logically, my next step is to...run back to the Center and buy two more potions with the spoils of war prize winnings. Off to Route 2, then!

Right as I was going to dive into the grass for an encounter, I get quite rudely interrupted by the Xtransceiver - it’s PC’s mother, swinging by to give me the Running Shoes. Thank God. As I was reading through the instruction dialogue, I noticed that there’s a Strength rock on the south end of the route. I’ll have to come back before reaching Alder, I guess.

Oh, and my route 2 encounter is a...Duplicate. I get one more try at a new encounter - if I miss it, I don’t get anything for this route. My second attempt is a third Patrat. So much for getting an encounter here. I found a Potion in the grass as I was searching for the catch, so I guess it wasn’t a complete loss here.

And now it’s time for the Trainers on the route!
Youngster Jimmy - 2HKO!
Lass Mali - Crit OHKO! (dang, Barrow!)

I took a slight detour before getting the third guy because I noticed a hidden staircase to the right of the grass. I found a Potion and a Poke Ball.

Youngster Roland - Bite flinch hax. I love Bite flinch hax. 2HKO.

I head up to get to Striation - Wait, why do I hear boss music? Oh no, I see Bianca coming.

VS Pokemon Trainer Bianca
T1: Curie v Lillipup
Bite!
Odor Sleuth!

T2:
Bite KO!

T3: Sent in Barrow to fight the Tepig.
Water Gun OHKO!

Not too bad, honestly, but then again...Early game Unova tends to be on the easy side. And then it sucker punches you with Lenora’s difficulty spike. I am not looking forward to that one…

Anyways, Bianca runs off to parts unknown and I head into Striation. I went to the gym to try and scout the trainer levels, only for Clyde the guide to tell me to go pound sand. Then told me to go to the Trainer’s School. Of course, Cheren is in there and wants to fight me…

VS Pokemon Trainer Cheren
T1: Curie v Snivy
Bite!
(blind Obelisk missed what the Snivy used but the damage was negligent)

T2:
Bite! This triggered the Snivy’s Oran berry.
Leer.

T3:
Bite! The Snivy survived with 1 HP.
The Snivy flinched.

T4:
Bite KO!

T5: Switched in Barrow to fight the Purrloin.
Water Gun!
Growl!

T6:
Water Gun KO!

Snivy’s pretty bulky this early, isn’t it? That might not go over well when I have to face him later on - depends on whether my pansear makes it to the next fight or not. Cheren gives me a few Oran Berries before heading off - handy. I’m gonna shoot for that achievement on here, the one where you beat the first Gym with only your starter. I’ll need these berries for that. As a side note. Cilan’s Ace is lv. 14, so I’ll bring my team up to that level with some grinding once I get the monkey. Straight to the Dreamyard, where I...get ambushed by a trainer. God, I thought this was the NPC that gave away the monkeys. 2HKO, 2HKO and moving on oh come on, a second guy? Triple 2HKO and done. Can I finally get to the monkey? Yes, yes I can. Since I’m accepting the Pansear as a Gift pokemon, that means it’s my encounter for the Dreamyard. I also found an X Defend right before I talked to the NPC in question.

Anyways, the Pansear is now named Fahrenheit, after physicist Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit, who laid out a temperature scale that would form the basis of the current Fahrenheit used in the United States and a handful of other areas, including the African nation of Liberia. I got really, really lucky - Fahrenheit is Modest, which will come in handy with most of its Fire type movepool. I’m going to train him and the other two team members to lv. 14, then I’ll go for the gym. My plan here is to have Barrow try and take both of Cilan’s Pokemon and keep Fahrenheit as my primary back-up in case Barrow starts to get really threatened by the Pansage. Aside from this, I have nothing else I need to do prior to the battle - I have more than enough Potions for this stage of the game, so it’s just getting everyone to 14 then going in.

(During grinding, Obelisk backtracked to explore and gather what he could - he ended up getting a PokeBall, an X Speed, a Great Ball, and a Full Heal. He also bought seven Heal Balls during a quick visit to the center to heal.)

Alright, grinding finally done. Now that the team is ready for the gym, here is how I’m going to be handling the whole thing from start to end: Use Curie to clear out the gym trainers so my main fighters are free and full health, then have Barrow lead against Cilan. Barrow’s gonna have an Oran berry so he can survive an extra hit if need be. I’ll have Fahrenheit as back-up. Once the Pansage comes out, I’ll be trying to knock it down with Barrow’s Focus Energy before it can do enough damage - but Fahrenheit will step in if Barrow can’t hold up in battle. Let’s get to it, then!

Got a Fresh Water from Clyde.
Gym Trainer 1 - 3HKO
Gym Trainer 2 - 2HKO, GAH! The Purrloin Assisted into a critical Bite that left Curie at 3 HP from nearly full health! Thank God it was already critical HP that turn, otherwise I would have had to pop a Potion there. Jesus. 2HKO at any rate…

VS Gym Leader Cilan
T1: Barrow v Lillipup
Focus Energy!
Bite!

T2:
Water Gun!
Work Up!

T3:
Water Gun!
Bite! (Oran Berry triggered)

T4:
Water Gun!
Bite!

T5: Cilan healed the Lillipup.
Water Gun!

T6:
Water Gun KO!

T7: Kept Barrow in against Pansage.

At this point, I realized I’d be extremely defensive here because the Pansage will do 30-36 HP per hit, not counting a crit. Barrow’s at 14 HP. It’s a situation that Barrow wouldn’t win under any circumstances, so I did the next sensible thing…
Switched to Fahrenheit.
Work Up!

T8:
Incinerate!
Work Up!

T9:
Incinerate!
Vine Whip! (Despite a +2 STAB, this only did 6 points of damage)

T10:
Incinerate KO!

Defeated Striation Gym!

I received the Trio Badge and TM83 Work Up from Cilan. Nice. Now I just need to deal with all seven remaining gyms to get to the end. First things first, the C-Gear from Fennel. I wish this wasn’t mandatory, but considering the plot point it leads to, I can’t really argue against the way this was introduced. And you get HM01 out of it as well, so...

Anyways, that’ll be it for this update. See you all next time!

io_

Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This friendly ghost lurks around sites of interest and tries to say hi. They may project a little too much onto their writing.
good idea to switch when you did, otherwise you'd be down a starter... and nice work against cilan! and yes, unova's grinding is hell in the first game, idk who even thought this was a good idea esp when cilan's at level 14

if it were me i'd start bringing in answers to the snivy quickly. i speak from experience when i say that that pansear could likely die before it evolves, mine died to the wild throhs in BW. A pidove, woobat, anything has better durability than the monkeys that can barely fight their way out of a paper bag...

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
You read The Black Hole of Grief and Silliness and still want to nuzlocke until Alder? That takes guts.
Gen 5 is my favorite from a visuals standpoint. I prefer sprites over models, and I agree that the sprites look the liveliest here!

What are you talking about? Pokemon professors are always professors of children's friendships, too! How would we know who our friends/neighbors were if the professor never introduced us!?

It is Pidove during the day! I never knew that it was different at night! :0

That's one of my favorite things about B/W runs: seeing how people capitalize on the "best friends" angle that the game kind of abandons. :x
Yay, MandoPony! ^^

The Striaton Trio are really hard to fight with just your starter. I'm glad that Farenheit was trained up to take over if the need arose because it did!

Obelisk

no sleep only wepears
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric
Pokédex Entry
@Iola Yeah, I'm not sure what I was thinking with leaving Barrow in. At least it turned out well.
Yeah! WTF is the level curve in this leg of the game?
As for the answers to Snivy...You'll see in this update.

@Bowser's Family Vacation MandoPony is awesome!
Huh. So I was right about the day/night difference there.
Fahrenheit knew the heat was coming and took it for Barrow.

In which Plasma antics continue and Unova gets mad with me again.

Update 2: Shocking Swerve - aka Goddamn Critical Hits
Most of this was done while at the office, so no playlist for this update :(

Picking up right where I left off, I have to go to the Dreamyard to help Fennel with something. Fortunately, I know what to do. Unfortunately, I have to give someone Cut. Curie got the move, since it’s got the same power as Tackle and gets STAB. I also spread Work Up among the Pokemon to have some level of boosting should I need it. Thank God I picked Unova to run. Infinite use TMs are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I don’t like how Bianca pushes me aside and goes first into the new area of the Dreamyard - she’s just as bad as Cheren dragging me around. We hear the cries of the wild Munna, then come across the (blatantly hypocritical) Plasma grunts trying to commit animal abuse on the poor thing.

Suffice it to say, they did not last long. First guy was wiped out in one shot, second guy took two hits. And to add trauma to injury, they witness a nasty hallucination involving Ghetsis and flee in terror. I’d say that’s laser guided karma. I find it interesting that Ghetsis has two different uniforms here during the Dream Mist mishap, probably a bit of foreshadowing as to what’s going on behind the scenes. Anyways, Fennel comes by, grabs the Dream Mist and runs off. I’m going to look around the Dreamyard first before I go grab the C-Gear.

I found a PokeBall, a Repel and a Potion. You'd think people would stop leaving all these valuable items on stone walkways of questionable integrity.

The garden west of Striation had a whole bunch of goodies, too! A Great Ball and...that's it. I go straight to Fennel and the C-Gear. I honestly missed this little bit of tech - I used to spend a lot of time after high school just battling my friends. Even if...I lost. A lot. It was always fun with those guys. Anyways, I get the C-Gear and Pal Pad, not that I'll use them in a Nuzlocke. And off to the next leg of the journey - Route 3.

Off the bat, the double battle with the preschoolers. An OHKO and a 2HKO. The rest of the trainers were pushovers, so free XP all around. I do have to admit that Iola was right. My Pansear isn't holding well, so I need to find a reasonable replacement. I might abuse the Repel trick to get myself a Drilbur - those are always good.

Oh, might as well try the Repel trick. Drilbur spawn in clouds of dust, so all I need to do is stall for a dust cloud. Anyways, I've cleared all the trainers in the pre-school and I'm heading down to the next scripted sequence-

Oh, here's Cheren, rudely ordering me to fight him to see who's stronger. Let's have a go at it!

VS Rival Cheren
T1: Fahrenheit v Snivy

Okay, this was entirely unintentional. I didn't even expect Cheren to battle me here, so leading with Fahrenheit was fortuitous. Anyways, shall we?
Incinerate! (Snivy's Oran Berry burnt up)
Vine Whip!

T2:
Incinerate!
Growth!

T3:
Incinerate KO!

T4: Curie v Purrloin
Assist → Leer!
Cut!

T5:
Assist → Growth!
Cut! Crit KO!

Honestly, now the type matchups are starting to fall in place and the Snivy isn't as threatening as before. I may keep Fahrenheit on for a little while longer so I have that coverage until I find something better to deal with Snivy...And while I was rambling to myself, two Plasma grunts tear by, knocking me off kilter. Bianca and a young girl come running not far behind - apparently those grunts stole the girl's Pokemon?! Cheren takes off running, probably to be rude to the Grunts.

I saw a Pokeball in the grass and went for it, but a Pidove ambushed me before that. Guess I have my Route 3 encounter! This Pidove is a lv. 8 male, who I'm naming Tesla after Nikola Tesla. Tesla was well known for a lot of things, including his affection for pigeons. Tesla turns out to be a Mild-mannered bird, which is an interesting nature for that name. That random ambush aside, the item turned out to be a Super Potion. Next step, ignore the mandatory game story and grind Tesla.

...Welp. It begins. I was beating up an Audino with Tesla at 18/28 HP, and as it was using Pound my first reaction was "You better not crit."

It was a crit. Tesla's the first fatality of God knows how many…I dropped him in the box and moved on to other things. Got a pair of Grunts to pummel, y'know? Found a Repel in the midst of walking to the cave the Grunts cornered themselves in and battled a Breeder in the grass (2HKO, 2HKO, 3HKO). The Breeder gave me a free Oran Berry, nice.

Fresh off the heels of that breeder’s tragic loss, I go ahead and trigger the next sequence, which is going after the grunts and turning them into Ash. No. Not that ash. The...The volcano stuff. Not the trainer. I, uh…

Anyways, I approach Cheren and he rudely drags me inside the cave which - unsurprisingly - causes a brawl to erupt between us and the Grunts. Long story short, my opponent’s Patrat elected to do nothing but protect itself and Leer at Fahrenheit for the three turns it was on the field. Just as we’re about to return the stolen Pokemon, a second set of grunts jump us and trigger a double battle. TIL that Incinerate hits both targets in a double battle - predictably, I did the most damage in the battle. Honestly, the way these guys act, them calling PC and Cheren “children” is hilarious. They’re even more childish than freaking teenagers.

Cheren calls them out on their logic, too, which is...Nicest thing the rude guy could do here, I guess! I would’ve liked to see him kick one of the Grunts in the behind, though. Now that I’m in Wellspring Cave by myself, time to abuse Repels and get my Drilbur - oh wait, what’s this?

I found TM46 Thief. Nice! I’ll give it to someone later if I need to fill a gap in a movepool. I’m just gonna stand here and wait until a dust cloud comes up, then run for it and hope for a Drilbur - nope. Repel wore off and I ran into a Roggenrola before I could exit the cave. Dang it. Roggenrola is still good, at least! This rocky guy is named Mohs, after Friedrich Mohs. Friedrich was a geologist and mineralogist who developed what we now know as the Mohs scale of hardness. Wait, what- Mohs was holding an Everstone! And is Timid. Greeeeat. At least he’ll have bulk aplenty to deal with Lenora.

Heading back to Route 3, I run into Bianca and the little girl catching up with the formerly-stolen Pokemon. The girl gave me a bunch of Heal Balls. I’ll take it! These are handy to have. They leave shortly after, leaving me by myself at the entrance to Route 3's second half.

And that’s it for now! See you all in the next update.

QuietGuardian

🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ground
Hey, you made it through grinding hell! Now you can finally start beating up Audino! ...That is, when they're not killing your Pokémon. That was rough.

Roggenrola's a solid catch, especially with Lenora coming up. And Timid may suck for its line, but at least Unova is very liberal with Attack EVs.

io_

Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Audinos can be surprisingly difficult to deal with in BW, this is a shame :( poor Pidove... Meanwhile, these 2 rivals are like sentient roadblocks that drag you from place to place and railroad you all the time. Unova's linear enough already, Game Freak, you don't have to drag us to the plot yard rubbish tip Dreamyard, just pop a roadblock on the next route like usual xD

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Praise infinite TMs! If Game Freak ever tries to take infinite TMs away... Oh, you think the National Dex controversy is bad...

Ghetsis has two different uniforms!? *re-watches scene* Clever, Black/White, clever! You're really good at the small details.

Oof. Dying to an Audino is the worst. RIP, Tesla. The name was so cute, too!

Roggenrola is one of the better counters to Lenora. As good as Drilbur is, it wouldn't be good against her.

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
Ahhh I love this naming theme!! Also, ignoring the main story to grind gives such a guilty feeling, but certainly essential for survival. Poor Tesla though. Audino is great for easy experience, but in the early game it can be pretty tough to beat.

Obelisk

no sleep only wepears
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric
Pokédex Entry
@QuietGuardian You weren't kidding about the attack EVs...

@Iola Unova is so linear that it's a railroad.

@Bowser's Family Vacation You'd be surprised at how many little details Unova has. It honestly has one of the most grounded worlds of any of the games, even if there was some artistic license geography-wise and research-wise.

@Spectacles Yeah, Audino can be bad in the early game, but Throh and Sawk are far, far nastier...

TO LENORA!

Update 3: Lenora and the Mind-screw Audino
All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix
Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix
Don’t Stop Believin’ - Journey
Wheel In The Sky - Journey
Carry On Wayward Son - Kansas
Panama - Van Halen
Getting Away With… - Papa Roach (Vrenna Walsh Version; Gran Turismo 4)
Play That Funky Music - Wild Cherry
Like a Prayer - Madonna
Anyway You Want It - Journey
Come As You Are - Nirvana
Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
We Will Rock You - Queen
Take on Me - a-ha
Red Flag - Billy Talent
Top of The World - All American Rejects
Last Stand - Adelita’s Way
Adam’s Song - Blink 182

Hey, welcome back!

So after a quick spot of healing, I decided to catch Mohs up using the trainers on the lower part of Route 3 - he’s close enough in levels that it could work. First trainer - Oh, uh...I didn’t account for Mohs’ Special Defense, and he ate 50% off a Blitzle’s Shock Wave. I called Curie in to knock down the Blitzle. Color me surprised that Patrat learns Crunch at level 16. Honestly, that’s one of the best Physical Dark moves to have before Gym 2.

As I was getting my team healed up, I remembered that Unova was the first game to allow you to use multiple potions in one go. That’s a lot less annoying than having to use potions one at a time from the bag! I found an Antidote in the grass behind the Trainer. Convenient! That said, I see Cheren just barely on-screen in the next patch of grass, which has me concerned. Guess I’ll die grind Mohs. Now that Mohs is lv. 15, after a mere 20 mins, I can go ahead and get going.

Of course, approaching Cheren stops me dead in my tracks and makes me listen to him holler about the tall grass. I mean, it’s not a bad way to introduce the dark grass mechanic, but...Railroading. By the way, did this ever carry over to gen 6 or 7? I liked the dark grass thing.

Ran into another trainer, let’s see what- she has a Woobat. Mohs crit on it and sent it away no problem. I think this little guy is going places…

Found a Great Ball on a small detour, then challenged the third trainer on this leg of the route. Nothing noteworthy outside of predicting what it called for Assist. I got an Awakening shortly after and had to stop myself from falling asleep IRL a second ago. Awfully ironic timing, that.

Last trainer! Double 2HKO, nothing special. I walk through the route gateway and oh no it’s Nacrene City. Well, uh. Grinding time! Lv. 20 across, then to the gym. ...And some exploring to get resources beforehand. That is, if Cheren wasn’t waiting for me to show me around and giving me Chesto Berries. Nice of him to do that. I’m gonna explore here and then go to Pinwheel to get my first catch there + proper grind.

[Obelisk found a Miracle Seed (user error due to button mashing), TM94 Rock Smash and an Ether. Great Ball found later on.]

So, I just remembered something - lemme explain while I battle this Nurse. I can repel-abuse my way into a fighting type in Pinwheel Exterior because of the super-extended area to the south of the main path to a place called the Challenge Rock. For some reason, fighting types are concentrated around that rock. Although, looking at the encounter table, there’s no change there...It’s worth a shot at least!

Anyways, field nurse unlocked. Let’s go get some repels and try this.

Of course, I have to go through an army of trainers to get there. Not all that surprising.
None of them were worth mentioning here.

Found an Antidote between Trainer #2 and Trainer #3.

With the last trainer in the rock area, Barrow evolved into Dewott.

And my encounter is an Audino. Go freaking figure. I'm naming this Audino Cuil, after the infamous internet theory, Cuil Theory. This is something you need to see for yourself because words fail me.

Also because I lost all progress back to when I ran into Cheren in Nacrene (I bumped the DSi and accidentally unseated the cart) and somehow replicated the exact same scenario I was trying to avoid. Back to grinding!

Although, I admit that Cuil was a little stroke of luck because he has Regenerator.

Curie evolved into Watchog, which is really gonna help me with the gym fight, although I'm planning on basically spamming Fury Cutter throughout the battle for massive damage buildup.

Grinding's done now and the team is at 20 across. It's time to go through the Gym trainers so I can have some change for Potions and test some things on those Pokémon.

--I spoke too soon. Why is N here? Hey, what are you talking about? Being inside a Pokemon's ball???? Hey, no wait, what are you-

(a/n i button mashed through this dialogue because i don't much care for this particular fight and wanted it to be over with)

VS PKMN Trainer N
T1: Fahrenheit v Pidove
Quick Attack!
Bite!

T2:
Quick Attack!
Bite KO!

T3: Curie v Tympole
Crunch OHKO!

T4: Barrow v Timburr

I'm really tempted to screw around and use Fury Cutter to see how it'd pan out, but now is not the time.
Razor Shell OHKO!

Defeated N

I am starting to notice that Fahrenheit is falling behind a bit in terms of damage, but to be fair Mohs isn't faring well either. I'm going to box Fahrenheit for now for his safety, since he's not taking hits as well as he should be..

Also, N talking about finding power is painfully obvious BBEG foreshadowing if you're even a little savvy about how Pokemon villains go. And then mentioning the Legendary just cements that bit of info - go figure, am I right?

Anyways, I'm not sure how to best approach Lenora, since the combination of Intimidate Herdier and that Retaliate/Hypnosis wielding Watchog is a serious threat. The first and obvious thing is to give my team members the appropriate Berry to deal with Hypnosis. The key here is ensuring I'm not compromised in my battle pace while trying to keep the Watchog at bay.

The highest speed for Lenora's Watchog with an unboosted 31IV in speed is 42, and the lowest (0IV) is 35. Curie has 39 speed, so this might be cutting it really close in terms of who wins the possible speed draw. Curie's also carrying Detect to try and bait the boosted Retaliate or waste a Hypnosis PP.

Mohs is an absolute physical tank that can eat Retaliate and Crunch while firing back with Rock Smash. Problem is, Mohs is a slow rock. Hypnosis is gonna fuck me up bad here. Barrow has the attack to really hurt the Watchog but not the defense to eat a hit (a mere 26 compared to Mohs' 43, Cuil's 39 and Curie's 36). On the other hand, Cuil has the physical bulk *and* the HP to eat Retaliate as well as packing a 70 BP physical STAB of his own. I think I'm gonna save Cuil for the Watchog and have the other three dispatch the Herdier and act as back-up. Cuil's got solid attack for this stage of the game, too.

Gym time, for real...if I could stop running into scripted sequences that would be great. I get dragged around the museum by Lenora's husband (I think? Hawes is his name) before he lets me in the gym out back. Also, lowkey didn't realize he implied that the Dragonite fossil died due to a flight accident - "This Pokemon had an accident while flying around the world and became a Fossil." That's kinda...surprising in its own right.

Hawes pointing out the stone makes it kind of obvious that it'll be relevant later. This bit of info would be a hell of a lot punchier if it was in the middle of the crisis at the story's climax instead of being (semi-blatantly) foreshadowed this early.

Hawes also outright states he's married to Lenora. ...Couldn't the dialogue here have been more subtle?

Gym time now. Finally.

tl;dr:
Free Fresh Water from guide man
Gym Trainer 1 - 2HKO.
Gym Trainer 2 - that poor dog. 3HKO (thanks a lot X-defend. Bless Crunch's defense drop effect here)
Gym Trainer 3 - 2HKO, 3HKO (Fury Cutter build-up), OHKO!

Note: I really love how they actually bothered to include a guide rail for the moving bookcase as well as the books shifting when it stops.

Now that I have access to Lenora, time to distribute those berries and figure out a battle plan. Cuil, Curie and Barrow all get Chesto berries for Watchog, and Mohs has an Oran Berry in case he eats a bad hit and needs a quick boost - that'll buy me enough time to heal him back to max HP.

I'm going to have Curie deal with the Herdier first since she's the strongest physical attacker on the team.

Well, off I go.

VS Gym Leader Lenora
T1: Curie v Herdier
Crunch!
Take Down!

T2:
Crunch!
Take Down! (miss)

T3:
Crunch KO!
(Curie levelled up from that)

T4: Cuil v Watchog

I'm a little terrified here, not gonna lie. This thing is going to either go off with 140+ BP Retaliate or Hypnosis, and neither is good. I have both accounted for with my items and choice of Pokemon, but…Man, I wish this wasn't such a sucker-punch boss this early. Here goes nothing.
Leer!
Secret Power!

...wut?

T5:
Retaliate! (74/74 to 47/74, -1 Def. Not bad, Cuil.)
Secret Power! (Just outside red HP)

T6:
(Calling it now, either gonna go for Leer or Retaliate. Probably gonna crit on Retaliate.)
Watchog was healed (Super Potion!)
Secret Power! Watchog was paralyzed.

T7: Sent in Mohs.
Hypnosis.

I need to stop trying to predict the AI here. I was predicting a Retaliate here.

T8: Sent in Cuil. (Regenerator brought HP back to 71/74)
Crunch!

T9:
Secret Power!
Retaliate! (37/74)

T10:
Secret Power KO!

Defeated Lenora.

Oh. I, uh...I'll take that! That went better than I was expecting. Gonna just...borrow this Chesto from Cuil to wake Mohs back up before moving forward. Basic Badge and TM67 Retaliate received from Lenora too. Heaven forbid I have to use that effect…

Hawes comes rushing in and drags Lenora off for something urgent. Of course, I get rudely dragged along to this as well.

Anyways, that'll be it for now! See you all next time.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
Dark grass is exclusive to gen 5, unfortunately. I enjoyed it, too. Do you try for having an increased chance to roll for the encounter you want, knowing that if a double battle triggers, the risk to the Pokemon you already have has increased as well?

...Words fail me, too. Stay in the PC forever, Cuil Theory. I don't want to think about you.

Can we get an F in the comments for the Dragonite? and lenoras ai

QuietGuardian

🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ground
>stop running into scripted sequences
>Unova
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Nice work with Lenora. Sometimes her AI derps like that. And you're right; Audino is pretty good for this stage of the game.

Obelisk

no sleep only wepears
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric
Pokédex Entry
@QuietGuardian kill me now
I think Lenora was drunk on the day I battled her.

@Bowser's Family Vacation Unfortunately, the resident mindscrew is staying on the team until I find a suitable replacement.

Update #4: Stop Bugging Me (vs. Burgh)

Picking up where I left off, Hawes and Lenora ran off to go deal with something. I'm gonna quickly make sure the team is full health before whatever happens here. The Gym Guide has some serious attention issues - he starts worrying about the Gym, gets distracted by my new badge, then starts worrying about the gym again in the span of two sentences…

I step out - Plasma. They steal the Dragonite's skull right before our eyes (technically), then vanish. There's a rush to go outside and a strange guy with a scarf approaches us. I'm introduced to Burgh in the middle of the skull crisis. Really… Bianca and Cheren show up and are ordered to guard the museum. She manages to slip me the Dowsing Machine seconds before I am quite rudely dragged to Pinwheel. Thanks to game logic, I'm forced to go the long way through all the Trainers and Pokémon.

First set of trainers is a double battle. The double Sewaddle here killed a Liepard I was really attached to last time I attempted this, so I'm a bit on edge. Then again, I have a Roggenrola - well, OK. These things are sporting Razor Leaf. Even if their SpA is crap, that is not something Mohs can handle. Curie stepped in for him while Cuil cleaned up. As I'm recovering from the battle, I spot a conspicuously placed Plasma grunt and immediately get into a scuffle with him. The Intimidate off his Sandile cut Cuil's attack enough to prevent an OHKO, but that didn't matter. Cuil went to 3 cuils in this fight. Plasma guy runs off after witnessing a 3 cuil experience... Now I gotta chase him.

I see another Grunt up the road, but a ton of grass around so encounter time! Unfortunately, it's a duplicate Pidove. I get to invoke Dupes clause and make another attempt at an encounter. The second try was much better! I came across a lv. 16 Petilil who comes equipped with Powder moves. Oh boy. I've named this Petilil Jane, after Jane Colden. Colden is considered the first female American botanist and was highly respected among her peers during the 18th century.

Jane has some pretty solid stats and a decent movepool, so I'm putting her in the front to soak up XP. Knowing that her line isn't a level-up evolution, I need to triple check her learnset as I want her to have Quiver Dance. That's at Lv. 28, so I might have some good moves to capitalize on it before then. Anyways, second Grunt. Just wanna quickly note that Gen 5 was the first game to correctly depict Pokemon as asleep when affected by Sleep moves. As in, their sprites show their eyes closed. Jane abused Sleep to set up Leech Seed and steal HP back from the Purrloin. Found a Super Potion and a Big Root in between this battle and the next one.

I face off against a Pokemon Ranger to help Jane along - oh, jeez. I pull her back and send out Mohs to deal with the Herdier. She gives me a Chesto berry after I defeat her. Nice little gift, oughta come in handy later - rrgh. A wild Pidove crit an Air Cutter on Jane after I tried to run and failed. She's barely alive right now, Jesus.

Fourth trainer, a Youngster. The Venipede was swiftly knocked down, so Jane is on to deal with the Timburr. It crits a Low Kick, then Jane crits a Mega Drain that undoes all of the damage the Low Kick dealt. It rolls a second crit in a row that I heal off with Synthesis. Leech Seed downs the Timburr for good.

Found an Antidote, then got ambushed by a Ranger while looking for items near a fallen log. Cuil whipped this one easily and gained a level in doing so. The Ranger shared a Chesto with me. Nice.

why are there so many rangers hiding under grass piles god stop- This one has a Panpour. Jane destroyed it. I got a Pecha. Found a TinyMushroom right after, then found another Grunt to pummel. I got lucky here, because I predicted his Bide and was able to play around it with Leech Seed.

Found a Paralyz Heal. Now, if I'm any good at recognizing patterns, I'm about to get ambushed by a Ranger with a Pansear. Yep, called it. Sent in Barrow to clean this one up and got a Pecha for my troubles. I took a brief detour and found TM86 in the grass. I've never actually bothered with this move. Is it any good? Anyways, moving on. The grass in this area is hellbent on slowing me down - five encounters in less than a minute of walking, and the last one poisoned Mohs. :/

I step through a log and trigger a scripted sequence - yep, found our thief. Jane wiped out his first Patrat, Barrow got the second one. I had a gut feeling this guy had a Sandile, so that's why I pulled Jane back for the second Patrat. Predictably, the Sandile was OHKO'd. Got the Dragon Skull back - oh, God a priest is coming. Gorm??? So the Skull was worthless to them. Gorm is about to do whatever it is that priests do to suppress me when Burgh and Lenora storm in and scare them off. Big words are thrown at us by the (clearly terrified) Sage before he runs off. Gave Lenora the Skull. Got the Moon Stone.

Found a Miracle Seed and gave it to Jane. Now that the shortcut is open, I'm heading back and sweeping up the trainers I missed. Now that the bridge is all sorted out, we're off to the coolest set piece of the game - the Marvelous Bridge. I get a Quick Claw here and them go on the longest walk of my life. And now I'm in Castelia. I'm gonna explore and battle before I go trigger anything, just to make sure I've exhausted all resources in the city.

[Got a Fire Stone for Fahrenheit and cleared out the Battle Company. Quick/Timer Balls obtained, revive found. Scope Lens obtained, Hyper Potion found. Got the EXP Share. This will be very helpful. Got TM44 Rest.

Got abruptly flashed by dumpster shades guy and then given trash in the form of a TM. Did the dance team side quest.]

All set with all of that, I head down to the Gym and- oh hi Cheren. He's off in a hurry after getting his badge. Burgh is in an even bigger hurry! -Oh, oh no. Plasma. Plasma took Bianca's Pokemon. Bianca is left in the protection of a random girl (Iris, and the game isn't subtle about her importance).

As they discuss the theft, a Grunt (conveniently) shows up and compromises his operation. Then lies about Plasma presence, despite there being two other grunts next to him with suspiciously specific denials. The Grunt went down with two OHKs in two turns. A mass retreat into the building followed by a mass entry. And here we see Ghetsis...Bronius' idea to camp out across a gym, huh? Ghetsis spools off the legend then gives us the stolen Munna, followed by a second retreat. I got a Smoke Ball and a Yache Berry from the whole thing, so...off to the Gym!

Burgh is level 23 max and my entire team is 22 across, so off I go. My best bet is gonna be having Roggenrola deal with everything except Leavanny. I'll figure that one out as I go. Obligatory Fresh Water. Here we go!

GymTrainer (GT) #1: Two turns, two KOs. Noting here that Sewaddle is kind of a threat…
GT #2: Had to switch to shield Mohs. 2HKO, 2TK. Mohs got Smack Down as a result of this battle, which will help.
GT #3: Smack Down proved its worth here. Still having issues eating Razor Leafs from the Sewaddle. 2HKO.
GT #4: Barrow cleaned house.

That's it for the Trainers. Time for Burgh.

VS Gym Leader Burgh!
T1: Mohs vs Whirlipede
Pursuit!
Smack Down!

T2:
Struggle Bug!
Smack Down!

T3: Burgh healed the Whirlipede!
Iron Defense!

T4:
Screech!
Smack Down!

T5:
Struggle Bug!
Smack Down KO!

T6: Cuil v. Leavanny
Protect!
Work Up!

T7:
Razor Leaf! (58/80)
Work Up!

T8:
Razor Leaf! (36/80)
Secret Power!

T9: Curie sent out for Cuil.
Razor Leaf!

T10:
Detect!
Razor Leaf

T11:
Razor Leaf!
Crunch! (defense drop triggered)

T12: Healed Curie.
Razor Leaf miss!

T13:
Protect!
Detect!
awkward…

T14:
Razor Leaf!
Crunch KO!
(Cuil grew to lv. 23.)

T15: Mohs v. Dwebble
Smack Down!
Smack Down! (Mohs)

T16: Healed Mohs
Smack Down!

T17:
Smack Down!
Smack Down KO! (Mohs' attack)
(Mohs grew to lv. 24!)

Defeated Burgh.

Burgh gives me the Insect Badge and TM76 Struggle Bug. That was a fairly solid battle all around, although Cuil's offensive power leaves something to be desired. I don't remember what happens next, so I'm healing the whole team before exiting the gym.

That'll be it for this update. See you all next time!

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
Nobody: force the kids to take the dangerous path.
Burgh: "Hey, kid, I'll take the easy way! You take the dangerous path!"

Ah, I love that Pokemon close their eyes when sleeping. The alternative was quite frightening.

The funny thing about Iris is that the game makes her seem important, even if you're playing Black version, which confused me a lot as a kid.

Rhema

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
She tries her best, but doesn't succeed. She gets what she wants but not what she needs.
This is such an interesting format. I dig the kind of witty, ad-lib narration and I'm finding it very engaging to read! It's almost as if I'm reading your diary or secret journal haha. Black is one of my favorite games so always glad to see any sort of fic about it!

Obelisk

no sleep only wepears
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric
Pokédex Entry
@Bowser's Family Vacation It does that in Black version too? :o That's interesting...

@Rhema Thank you! Hope you enjoy the rest :]
On with the show!

Update 5: Just Deserts

Hey, time for more Unova.

I step outside the gym, drenched in the honey Burgh uses as his improvised walls in the gym - that's gotta be an OSHA violation. As soon as I'm out the door, I get called. Bianca wants to fight me on the way to route 4. Sure. Gotta heal the team first. I also grabbed a bunch of potions.

Got an Amulet Coin from the dancers, who I had forgotten about...I watched them do their routine. Impressive stuff for overworld sprites. I also managed to sneak into a party in one of the offices - got a TM45 Attract from a girl. Not sure what she was trying to say with that, but ok. I'm never using this one anyways...I met a Pikachu named Gesundheit. Someone has allergies.

I unlocked the Relocator somehow by fumbling through the menu prompts...I also met a gentleman by the name of Mr. Lock. Hello, Nuzlocke wannabe. Got the Eviolite. Gave it to Mohs. Gonna need that while he's a Boldore. Also gave Barrow the Amulet Coin. Note: Time apparently freezes when using an elevator.

Walked into the gate then got challenged by Bianca as expected. Funny thing is she stopped the battle to ask permission from the gate attendant before things actually got underway.

VS PKMN Trainer Bianca!
T1: Barrow V Herdier
Razor Shell!
Odor Sleuth

T2:
Razor Shell crit KO!
(Barrow grew to lv. 23!)

T3: Curie V Pansage
Crunch!
Vine Whip!

T4: Bianca used the Super Potion!
Crunch! Def. drop triggered

T5:
Crunch KO!
(Curie grew to lv. 23!)

T6: Jane V Munna
Leech Seed!
Psybeam!

T7:
Sleep Powder!

T8:
Magical Leaf!

T9: Bianca used the Super Potion!
Magical Leaf!

T10:
Magical Leaf KO!

T11: Mohs V Pignite
Arm Thrust! (47/65)
Smack Down!

T12: Switched for Barrow.
(I missed what Pignite used)

T13:
Razor Shell KO!

Defeated Bianca.

She was pretty tough but not difficult. I love that she's slowly developing and coming out of her shell here. I hope to see her again and witness more development. But for now, we've got another issue. Cheren is right on the other side of the gate. Healed quickly. Here we go.

VS PKMN Trainer Cheren
T1: Jane V Pidove
Switched for Mohs.
Air Cutter! (miss)

T2:
Air Cutter!
Smack Down OHKO!

T3: Cuil V Servine
Leech Seed
Work Up

T4:
Leaf Tornado! (accuracy down)
Secret Power! (accuracy down)
Servine ate its Citrus Berry

T5:
Growth!
Secret Power!

God, this thing just won't die.

T6: Used a Super Potion.
Leaf Tornado!

T7:
Switched to Jane.
Leaf Tornado! (acc down)

T8:
Leaf Tornado!
Sleep Powder!

T9:
Switched to Cuil.

T10:
Servine woke up! Leech Seed.
Secret Power KO!

T11: Jane v. Panpour.
Healed Jane.
Bite!

T12:
Bite!
Magical Leaf OHKO!

T13: Mohs v. Liepard (Mohs is at 62/65)
Pursuit!
Rock Smash!

T14:
Pursuit!
Rock Smash! (Defense drop)

T15:
Pursuit crit! (30/65)
Rock Smash KO!

Defeated Cheren.

Okay jeez. Cheren needs to chill. That was hard. Right as we're about to resolve matters, Juniper calls us. She wants us to meet her at the gate to Nimbasa. Straight shot down route 4, which is easy enough. That said, lots of encounters to be had here.

Another quick heal, then I'm off to nab my Route 4 encounter and my Desert Resort encounter. I find a rest house as I re-enter route 4, so now I have that in case an emergency comes up. Found an X Accuracy too. Time to nab my encounter for Route 4.

That encounter would be a female Darumaka, level 18. Her name is Brooks, after Harriet Brooks. Harriet worked with Ms. Curie on nuclear research and was Canada's first nuclear scientist.

(A/N: Holy crap,, I almost failed this one. Brooks was in the red and kept taking sandstorm damage while refusing to go into the ball. She was down to 1 HP when I made the ball stick.)

Brooks is Naughty and has Hustle. Ok. That's workable, I guess. Gave her the EXP Share. Went further into the sand and wiped out the two Fishermen at the waterfront. Their Basculin were pretty tough, though. Jane solo'd the second guy all on her own.

Found a Great Ball, and ran into a super persistent Darumaka that rolled a crit and did 60% of Barrow's health. No thank you, Unova. Now that I'm at the second walkway, I'm heading up to find out what's here. Ran into a trainer - all she had was Tympole. I had Jane at the front of the party.

Tried to take a step out and- oh no, the persistent Darumaka is back. Managed to get away from it this time. Found a Hyper Potion too. Next trainer - Double Roggenrola + Timburr. Double 2HKO and some Fury Cutter antics. This guy was spouting dynamics nonsense. Dude, the only thing dynamic about you is your ability to lose...And crit. His Timburr crit a Low Kick that put Barrow in a perilous situation. Next guy just has a solo Timburr. Do the math.

I found TM41 Torment at the end of this trail...and a dead end. Are you kidding me, GameFreak?! Backtracked and found a Burn Heal after running into the super-persistent Darumaka yet again. I'm not making this up, I keep running into a lv. 15 male Darumaka.

Next trainer is a clean OHKO. Found an Ether. Ran into another trainer - this Cottonee was Fury Cutter'd. That was an easy 2HKO. Got a Super Potion and pestered the third Backpacker on the route. Even more Fury Cutter spam. 2HKO. Fourth Backpacker - OHKO. Fifth Backpacker - OHKO. Alright, managed to get to the end of the route. Gonna look around for the Desert Resort.

Ran into an Engineer who was so focused on building his Dispenser that he didn't notice me casually wrecking his team. Saw a second one a second later grumbling about the first one hogging all the metal. Did I walk into a game of TF2 or something? His Timburr went down too.

Found some construction workers in a building and one of them gave me the Dig TM - perfect! Found the desert resort and was immediately accosted by a Darumaka. Since this is a dupe, I can safely ignore it and try one more time. After going through the gate, my first order of business was to get the area doctor unlocked. Thankfully it was a quick 2HKO. I went ahead and mopped up the rest of the trainers in the Desert Resort for the XP, then went for my encounter proper - which was a Sandile. I named him Ritcher, after Charles Ritcher. If he sounds familiar, it’s because he created the Ritcher scale that we use for earthquakes.

During all of this I found: Blackglasses, Soft Sand, Super Potion, Fresh Water, Fire Stone, Stardust.

Entered the Relic Castle, where I was immediately jumped by a female Yamask. I named her Sofia after Sofia Kovalevskaya, who was behind the Cauchy–Kowalevski theorem that’s used in analysis. I’ve got more trainers and items to dig up here, so…

I just realized that I overestimated by a wide margin (there were only two trainers). Anyways, I picked up the Plume Fossil so I could get my hands on an Archen and have an answer for that blasted Servine Cheren has. I also cleared out all of the trainers I had access to, so it’s time to go back and get the fossil revived (which means retiring Curie) and get to Nimbasa. Found a Revive.

So I got the Archen revived and named it Wright, after the Wright brothers. While they aren’t necessarily scientists, they definitely provided a huge innovation when they made fixed-wing flight possible with their first airplane.

With that aside and Curie safely retired, I head straight back to Nimbasa. I forgot about Juniper, so I got stuck listening to her prattle about Electric types. At least I got some free Ultra Balls. And now I’m in Nimbasa. I have to look around and get more XP before I go after Elesa and her twin Etrollgas.

That'll be it, see you all next time!

QuietGuardian

🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ground
that's gotta be an OSHA violation
Basically BW Gyms in a nutshell.

I got a little worried when Servine used Growth; good to see you pulled through nevertheless. Just be wary of its boosting moves in the future, especially when it gets Coil as a Serperior.

Whoa, a Darumaka with an Attack-boosting nature? She's gonna hit like two freight trains when she evolves!

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry

Bianca is the only polite Pokemon Trainer to the service sector. Or maybe she's still traumatized by the player's mother, after she had to clean the wrecked bedroom.

Gotta love when Pokemon in the desert route take damage from the sandstorm. :facepalm:

If this were a storylocke, that level 15 male Darumaka would totally be involved with Plasma...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)