• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Eight of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode bids adieu to another story and welcomes in a new one. Protagonists also star in our discussion segment!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Serious Coronavirus Public Discussion

Sirwallaby

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Our landlord and her kid might be coming back to the house very soon, and they've been like, going on boats with friends and all that going cross country and not taking this seriously. They're definitely not going to quarantine and they probably will keep going out places like the mall when they get back no matter what we say even though I'm fairly high risk and could potentially end up in the hospital or worse if I get sick. I don't think it's fair that they should be allowed to risk my life and I don't get any say in it at all. Gotta hope I'm lucky or they take a detour somewhere else instead or something...

JavierE64

Masks are so 2016!!! But don´t forget to wear one
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Water
Pokédex Entry
The Master of both Light and Darkness; who loves the Violent and Dramatic, and the Fun and Adorable.
Due to father's day, and restaurants slowly reopening, there were massive lines in front of all the businesses near my house.

The quarantine is not even over, and the place was almost as crowded as a market. It's insane.

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
Things are going downhill here-the past week has seen the highest amount of cases since the whole mess started, and now reopening's being paused and rolled back in some areas.
My worry is the panic buying restarts again and we end up back where we were 2-3 months ago, or worse...

JavierE64

Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Water
Pokédex Entry
The Master of both Light and Darkness; who loves the Violent and Dramatic, and the Fun and Adorable.
Starting in July 1st, the mandatory isolation in my hometown will be less strict, even when things don´t seem to get better.
I ... don´t know what to say.

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
The past week or so has seen an explosion in cases not just in my state, but in most of the country. At least the governor finally issued a mask mandate, but I don't know if it's going to help...

Not trying to get political, but...it's kind of embarrassing seeing other well-off countries have things largely under control while the situation is spiraling here in the States. I really wish our "leaders" would get their heads out of their asses, stop arguing, and get shit done to get things under control.

InfiniteRiver

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Water, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Is most often observed trying her hardest. Whether it really is has never been verified in the wild.
^^ Feeling the exact same sentiment, this is embarrassing on a national level.

Also I was supposed to go to college this fall, and made the choice to stay home for the first semester. My rural area's been doing a lot better than the county said college is in, though most of my friends are still planning on scattering to the winds come August, so...
At least I know I'll be doing all my classes online, as opposed to the poor souls who move into dorms for in-person classes and then also do remote for fifteen weeks.

Not to mention the abysmal plan for public schools lmao. Glad I graduated just in time.

DuchessTaco

Certified Ophthalmic Assistant
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 24, 2020
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her/They/Them
Pokémon Type
Grass, Ghost
Y'all, I'm hitting critical "oh, crap". I just had my second test (yesterday) in two weeks because I started having some of the COVID symptoms. We had an exposure incident on 6/22 at work, so I don't think it's from that, but I had several patients who just plain refused to wear their masks correctly with me before I got symptoms. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those people ended up being pre-symptomatic, so now I wait until I get my dang results back. Hopefully they come back sooner rather than later. I want to get back to taking care of people, but only when it's safe.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
I feel so bad... At an eye appointment, I had to take off my mask to get a drink of water... The technician said she'd rather have that than me passing out, but... Man, people like me must make healthcare workers' jobs so much harder during these times...

(Clarification: The technician gave me the water and told me to drink it, but I feel like I should have been good enough not to need that step.)

Sakurah

Drawing up a Storm!
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 19, 2020
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Yes.
Pokémon Type
Electric
Pokédex Entry
Always busy, she occupies her time with either work, sleep or entertainment. Overactive imagination and starts new things but rarely finishes them.
The amount of willful ignorance here in my homestate is unreal. The state governor recently tested positive for COVID, but he's still unwilling to issue a mask mandate for the state. In response, few cities (including OKC and Tulsa) issued mandates for wearing a mask out in public on their own. Also no word of shutting down again.

Naturally, the majority of the idiots are all 'bUt MuH fReEdOmS!!1!' and throwing the biggest tantrums that I except out of toddlers, not full-grown adults. I've always known that people tend to be rather self-centered and arrogant, but since COVID happen, it's on a whole new level. I wouldn't be surprised if we go into lockdown again because the majority of these people are rather selfish and narrow-minded.

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
4.5 million.
That's how many cases we've had here in the States. I see that compared to other countries and I'm like "what the fuck is wrong with people? Why have things gotten so bad here?"
I just...really want to go find a bunker and hide in it until it's over, but part of me is starting to think it might never be over...which the logical part of me knows is really stupid considering that every other pandemic eventually ended, but reading about them and living in one are two completely different things.

Although on a lighter note, I have heard that good progress is being made on a vaccine. I doubt it'll be until sometime next year at the earliest, but it's something.

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
A Pokémon shrouded in hearsay and urban legend, spoken of only in whispered tales and hushed gossip.
I'll be a bit blunt here: try to keep some perspective. 4.5 million sounds like a big, scary, terrifying number. But you know how much of the U.S. population that actually is? About 1.5%. Give or take since I rounded the U.S. pop up to 330 million for simplicity sake. Alternatively, you could put all those infected people in New York City alone and about half of that city would still be uninfected. Or also alternatively, if, say, the UK had 4.5 million infected, that'd be about 7% of their population. Keep in mind, the U.S. has the third highest population in the world and said population is also heavily urbanized. The closest country with similarish demographics is Brazil, who has 2.7 millionish cases and about a 1.2% infection rate, so actually kinda similar!

I've not looked it up, but I'm willing to bet the heaviest hit states are the ones with some of the biggest cities in the country. And I bet a a good proportion of the cases will be concentrated around those cities.

Also consider how countries may or may not be reporting. The U.S. is, or at least was a few months back when I last checked, was erring on the side of caution and reporting anything probable as confirmed cases. And if someone had corona when they died? Corona-related death regardless of actual cause. That definitely inflated the U.S. numbers. (And there's probably political reasons too, but I don't wanna poke that with even a 500 mile long stick.) Meanwhile, there are a lot of countries, such as China and India (who really ought to be higher), I'm not sure I'd 100% trust the numbers they are publishing. And there's also a lot of countries that may have inadequate testing measures as well so can't get accurate numbers to begin with.

4.5 million is quite a few people, but just keep in mind that it's a tiny proportion of the population so far, and a lot of the U.S. population is crowded into big cities (something like around 85-90%!) If we had less then something like... just about anyone in Europe, then either we'd be doing something very right or they would be doing something horribly, horribly wrong.

Meanwhile, I live in one of the states with the highest rates of reported infections. But, where I live, you wouldn't really know it since my county is barely touched by the virus itself and the city I live in has been barely poked at. Which is a bit surprising to me since we're not a small city. Oh, we're definitely feeling the economic and legal impacts and all that still (though we at least have some toilet paper on the shelves again!), but the virus itself has all but passed over us so far and, hopefully, it'll stay that way. There's a theory floating around that Corona does not like humid environments and doesn't spread nearly so easily in such locales. Which, if that is the case, it'd explain a looooot about why my city is mostly untouched.

As for the vaccine, I definitely hope they get it out sooner rather than later if at all possible. This stuff needs to get under control. Granted, I'll likely pass up on it, at least initially, unless there's a legal or occupational requirement for it. I'm in a low risk demographic living in a low risk area. There's other people who'll need it a heck a lot more then I do.

Slow

the echoing screaming reverb of a song
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 18, 2020
Pronouns
he/him/his

This is terrifying. We're about to have a genocide of our nation's most vulnerable and least privileged.

novadex

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Pokémon Type
Water
While I agree that keeping things in perspective is helpful @Rumors, I still think it's worthy of our concern. Although we are nowhere near the worst case scenario, we've been making some pretty bad mistakes. We closed down when the spread first started like we should've, but we reopened too much too soon and let cases spike back up. We've also seen governors be reluctant to roll back their reopening plans, which will allow cases to keep climbing if they keep being stubborn. People are still being weird about wearing masks. Middle-to-lower-class taxpayers and small businesses are bearing more of the economic brunt of the pandemic than they should have to, as opposed to placing the burden on the large businesses and upper-class citizens who are more capable of taking the hit.

The part that's especially worrying to me is that we've been seeing hospitals get filled up or close too it in certain areas. If the caseload keeps climbing and we start to see hospitals get really overloaded, the death rate is going to spike as people are unable to get proper treatment. Also, as Slow just pointed out, a lot of people are facing potential eviction if they don't get adequate financial aid. Anyone rendered homeless if the moratorium on evictions expires will be left without access to adequate sanitation, increasing their chances of getting sick and dying. Furthermore, if someone catches a severe case and survives, they probably won't be able to just go back to life as usual. If they were on a ventilator for an extended period of time, they may need physical therapy just to be able to speak again, and there's anecdotal evidence indicating that infection may cause lasting damage to the heart.

It isn't like this virus is going to spell the end of the US, but it's still something to be worried about and we definitely could have done a better job of containing it.

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
A Pokémon shrouded in hearsay and urban legend, spoken of only in whispered tales and hushed gossip.
To be a bit blunt again, we can spend all day sitting around doing "what if we did this" or "we could have done better" and so on. It doesn't help anyone. We can sit around and worry and stress and panic over all the bad things going on and it doesn't help anyone. A lotta people aren't in good spots right now, and that sucks, but sitting around freaking out about it doesn't help. Heck, it just makes things worse because people seeing someone else stressing/panicking are more likely to do it too. And if that manages to get a big enough ripple... well... you saw the panic buying.

I'm not saying don't be concerned or don't care or whatever. But keep focus and perspective. If cases are spiking across the country, I'm not going to let that stress me. I'll make the necessary preparations as things develop (I think I'm pretty well prepared right now if the virus suddenly exploded in my city tomorrow and/or I got sick myself), but I'm not going to focus on the craziness. Instead, I feel it's way more beneficial to everyone if you just focus on what you can reasonably do. For most of us, that's taking the necessary precautions to ensure you do not get sick. If you don't get sick, then you can't get other people sick, and you help keep the ripples and spikes down. And as far as evictions, keep doing your best to keep yourself as financially stable as possible so you don't join that crowd and make the burden of helping those already struggling that much harder.

Also, a quick Google search on the eviction thing shows that there are actions at state, city, and, surprising to me, corporate level to help those people out. Also, also, there's a nasty other side of the eviction coin: if landlords aren't making enough money off their land to afford that land, then if they're forced to dump it then the tenants might get evicted anyway. Really, that's a nasty situation that's going to need more than an eviction moratorium to solve and I am neither qualified nor researched enough to begin to ponder a proper solution, even from my arm chair.

But really, all we can do is keep calm, don't stress out, and do the best we can on the stuff we can reasonably affect or control. That's all anyone can do and no amount of hindsight, panic, or finger pointing will change that.

Other bit though, locking down versus opening up is a no-win situation. You lock down, the economy suffers, more places go out of business, people get evicted because they can't work, and people suffer and die. Or you open up and more people will be careless, get sick, cram hospitals, and people suffer and die. What's the best option here? My answer to that is I'm friggin' glad I'm not a politician right now, because there is no choice here that doesn't negatively impact a ton of people and they're going to get blamed and told they're wrong no matter what they decide. I know that, if I was in charge right now, the calls I'd be making would be keeping me up at night.

(Okay, I have actual opinions on opening versus lockdown, but I'm worried that sharing them might spark some political debate or something. I can share so long as nobody wants to make a big, nasty debate out of it.)

Either way, all I can do is have some faith those in charge are trying their best. And, if they're not, then I can either write them angry letters or, when the time comes, vote against them.

csidvuL

Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
or your government could just pass their stimulus bill and quit vacillating lol, sad but it has the ring of an unfortunate truth that that option isn’t up for consideration in the post above’s either/or scenario

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
or your government could just pass their stimulus bill and quit vacillating lol, sad but it has the ring of an unfortunate truth that that option isn’t up for consideration in the post above’s either/or scenario
We had a stimulus already. $1200 doesn't solve everything and another $1200 won't magically fix everything else.

novadex

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Pokémon Type
Water
On the topic of not getting too worked up, I think I basically agree with you @Rumors . I may think the calls that have been made with regards to handling COVID have been pretty bad, but ultimately those were not and will not be my calls to make. I find it frustrating to no end that the best I can realistically do to improve this situation is vote, encourage others to do the same, and maybe spread what information I can find when the topic comes up, but that's just kinda where we're at. There are other things I may not necessarily agree with you about, but I'm gonna respect your decision to leave this conversation where it is. The more we go back and forth about this, the less likely it is that this thread stays civil.

Stay safe, and have a nice day!

JavierE64

Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Water
Pokédex Entry
After a couple of months without cuarantine, Perú is back to self isolation on Sundays.
That should tell you everything about how things are doing there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)