• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Eight of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode bids adieu to another story and welcomes in a new one. Protagonists also star in our discussion segment!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Serious Coronavirus Public Discussion

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
Our governor is looking at trying to start reopening the state in the next couple of weeks, but I think it's too early. We don't have as many cases as a lot of other states (~20,000 in a 29 million population, but I don't know if that's because there hasn't been a lot of testing or if it's really that low an infection rate), but-as much as I'd like things to start getting back toward normal-I feel like it's a little too early...

novadex

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Pokémon Type
Water
Quarantine in my state just got officially extended until May 15th in my state, but then again we're in the top ten in the US for most confirmed cases so maybe it's more severe here than where you live. My parents have been following the news on all this more closely than I have and their estimation isn't the most optimistic. They're both pretty worried about a potential second outbreak later in the year, and I can't say I don't understand where they're coming from. I'm just hoping I don't have to start my next semester of college online, because remote learning has been hell so far.

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
A Pokémon shrouded in hearsay and urban legend, spoken of only in whispered tales and hushed gossip.
There's rumblings about a potential meat shortage hitting the U.S, and potentially the rest of the world, due to a lot of plants closing down due to the pandemic. There's no guarantee it'll happen for sure (I highly suspect companies, or maybe the government even, might take some action to prevent it), but might be worth keeping in mind.

Just, whatever you do, please do not read this and go panic buy a bunch of meat. If people start doing that then there absolutely will be a shortage. Maybe stock a little more than you might normally pick up if you really need to, but don't go nuts.

Last edited:

starmouse

All in service of some implacable "just cause".
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Water, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon is said to be scared of its own shadow. It can often be found sitting in the rain.
I'm starting to feel a little almost optimistic? Definitely better than I have been. The Cree communities around James Bay (which is where my mom works 1/4 the time) seem to have succeeded at tracking & keeping out infections and there hasn't been any community transmission there, only a couple of imported cases. As a result, a lot of pressure is off for her. Canada seems to be doing well as a whole, despite some recent awful events. It looks like it's just going to be a slow, sad waiting game until we get more research on whether herd immunity is plausible for this virus & whether a vaccine can be made.

Dschubba

Has forgotten she's a diurnal creature.
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 13, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Female
Pokémon Type
Bug, Normal
Where I live, we've been lucky enough to have a comparatively stable situation, but you can really tell people are just antsy to the extreme. Every time something opens up again, say fast food chains or home improvement stores? Everyone swarms, things get messy and the big question of "was this too soon?" gets brought up again. Much as I feel cautiously optimistic about this whole mess, these frenzied herd reactions really are something else...

Riboo

Conqueror of the Olivine Gym
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 24, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
Electric
Same @Dschubba, things in my area are relatively better compared to the rest of the states, our government decided to take more safety precautions in advanced where some places dragged their feet, so we've a lower number of cases, but its still a very heavy concern among everyone here. Wearing masks outside in public has been mandatory for a while and every time there's a news story about a shortage or a possible treatment? There's been a rush on the stores. Also people broke stay at home orders during Easter weekend considering the somewhat recent spike we got not 5 days after.

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
A Pokémon shrouded in hearsay and urban legend, spoken of only in whispered tales and hushed gossip.
I'm hoping this was a case of isolated stupidity and not something going around. But, a customer of mine came to the conclusion that, since Lysol and bleach apparently kill the virus, then they are good for you in small dosages. He was telling me that it would be a good idea to spray a lot of Lysol on the ceiling, stand under it, and inhale. Or, if you don't have that, then pour some bleach into some water and dunk your head in it.

Guys, if you hear this sort of "advice", PLEASE DO NOT DO IT!!!!! Both of those chemicals are pretty toxic and, if you don't have any immediate side-effects, it will wreck you pretty badly over time. Just because you can inhale trace fumes while cleaning with it does not make it safe to inhale even slightly concentrated dosages.

I wanted to say something to this guy. But, considering he was also talking about how hospitals shouldn't be entitled to masks or cleaning supplies right now, among other things, I get the feeling there would have been no reasoning with him. >.>

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
Our governor is looking at trying to start reopening the state in the next couple of weeks, but I think it's too early. We don't have as many cases as a lot of other states (~20,000 in a 29 million population, but I don't know if that's because there hasn't been a lot of testing or if it's really that low an infection rate), but-as much as I'd like things to start getting back toward normal-I feel like it's a little too early...
Starting Friday, most restaurants/movie theaters/malls can reopen at 25% occupancy capacity. So it's a step back toward normal, but I still think it might be too soon...

TerryTheTeryx

Gen Z Degenerate
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Flying, Steel
Pokédex Entry
A bizarre Pokémon who dislikes many social activities. She appears to have a penchant for peanut butter and foreign languages.
I still think it might be too soon...
Same. Apparently California is wanting to reopen schools in July? Things could be better by then, but I would not take those chances.

Fool

I'm Eltaba now.
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
Call me whatever you want.
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Rock
Pokédex Entry
Frequently criticizes inane video game plots, especially those involving spiky haired boys and cats.
Maryland is supposedly opening up today. I think this is a huge mistake, and I'm not going to go back to work until I am 100% certain of my own safety. Large groups of people are getting sick just protesting, so I don't exactly think that we're in the clear here, and personally I think this action is just going to make things worse than they already are.

In essence, I am afraid. I genuinely hope that this all goes well and everything can just resume back to normalcy, but I do not see that happening right now.

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
Our lockdown ended a couple of weeks ago. Well, one side of town did. Across the stateline, it ends... tomorrow? Either way, it didn't change all that much since most places are still acting in lockdown mode and some are still just staying closed outright. You can dine-in in a few restaurants and stuff, but I've heard they have super limited seating. Not been myself. Either way, I've not noticed much difference between lockdown and post lockdown. No idea if it's the same for other areas though.

oliviamakesanart

yee to the haw
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 19, 2020
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Obsessed with cowboy hats
My province recently just allowed "family bubbles" where two immediate family households can visit, but it has to be exclusively with each other (i.e. if you have two sets of grandparents living in their own homes, you can only visit one of them). There's been some back and forth on whether this is good or bad, but I think if everyone stays safe and maintains social distancing/takes precautions, it's a nice chance for kids who maybe don't have happy/stable households to get a break from that, and for people to get to see family.

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
So far the gradual reopening here is going okay, and thankfully the panic buying has settled down. I guess people have finally gotten past the hysteria point.
I'm just ready for it to all be over and things to go back to normal-or as close as possible since I know it won't be completely the same...

Fool

I'm Eltaba now.
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
Call me whatever you want.
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Rock
Pokédex Entry
Frequently criticizes inane video game plots, especially those involving spiky haired boys and cats.
I’d like to talk about the quarantine in the sense of its effect on one of my close friends. I will not be naming them, but I honestly need to get this off my chest. This situation has more or less driven my friend into a pretty deep depression. This is due to their major (Film) being unavailable during this crisis, and they feel like they won’t be able to move forward with their life. They feel like they’ve lost all of their opportunities, and that they’re going to fail. I try telling them that more opportunities will come, that you just need to have patience, but to be blunt my words fall on deaf ears. I understand their pain, but I realized that I do not have the skills to help them relieve it. The moral of this post is two things. One, if you are going through a rough patch in your life because of this situation, please consider reaching out to a therapist. I also understand that not everyone is in a good financial situation at the moment, so if you can’t do that, it’s completely understandable and you should not push yourself to have to go to therapy. Secondly, don’t give up on your futures. Just because this outbreak is happening right now, does not mean it won’t end in the future. You will have new opportunities to achieve your dreams, don’t give up on your life, you have plenty of time.

Thanks for your time.

Clockenstein

invisible hero
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 12, 2019
~/forums/nuzf/users/c/clockenstein/data/public/
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Fatal kernel error: 'DEX_BASIC' not found.
Getting real tired of the fam turning on the telly every other day and bemoaning how my home country (the Philippines) can't get its shit together. Had a relative there who got a serious case of COVID that went undiagnosed because of hospital capacity issues (I'm told he was struggling to hell to breathe for a while, but thankfully he's okay now, last I heard)-- to say nothing of how expensive test kits are, so the official count for third-world countries like those is grossly undercounted.

Well, none of that comes as a surprise to me. But it's just, well, annoying that my dad's like "aren't you glad you don't live there anymore?" and "it's a MESS" every half hour he puts on the news. Just because Canada's got its shit together doesn't mean you should go around mocking America and the Philippines (and even Quebec! who's not doing so great compared to the other provinces) for being in a right spot. These are people we're talking about, doing their damn best in hard circumstances and people dying all around them anyway. It's just not right. Just turn off the damn TV and quit with the negativity if you just do it to feel superior.

SnakeWrangler

Sorceress's Knight
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 15, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Water, Poison
Everything is reopening here and people going out without a care in the world while the state is one of the leaders for daily reported cases. The virus didn't go away, y'all, the half-assed lockdown did...

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
I'm in the same boat as you, Snake. It's so frustrating to watch. I know that quarantine is draining, but with all the nationalist bullshit on full throttle DESPITE the police brutality at this time of year, does no one actually remember why "The Greatest Generation" is considered so great—even the ones who did not participate in WWII? It was the self-sacrifice: from the people working in the factories to those operating under supply rations. (I will note that I am talking about the American Exceptionalism narrative, not necessarily what actually happened.)

Tookie

The Immoral Bard
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Poison, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
This user does not exist. All impressions to the contrary are propaganda pieces and not to be trusted.
see, when people were talking about "ThE bLiTz SpIrIt!" in relation to the potential difficulty of brexit before the leave vote happened, i wondered how that would hold up

really not a fan of the way i've been proven pretty right to be suspicious

at least the beer gardens have the option of opening up again soon if only my options weren't really sketchy locals or the goddamn spoons up the road from me

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
I find myself both impressed with and jealous of New Zealand-they've essentially eliminated corona from the country. Would be nice if we could do the same here...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)