• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Eight of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode bids adieu to another story and welcomes in a new one. Protagonists also star in our discussion segment!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Serious Coronavirus Public Discussion

Bug

👉😎👉
Administrator
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
oh fuck oh shit my dots...............................................................................................................................
Hey and howdy, y’all! The topic is as it says on the label, but before we turn you loose there are a couple of discussion specific rules to abide by:
  • Please make sure before posting information that you are fact checking your info with credible sources.
  • Do not give medical advice, or diagnose others. We are not qualified, as a whole, to do this.
  • Please avoid excessive political discussion or political rhetoric in relation to the coronavirus. It is unavoidable 100%, but this is a call to stay on topic.
  • Lastly, a word of caution. While the coronavirus is a new and unknown threat to all of us, please keep in mind the human element. Excessive pessimism or dismissal of discussion (ie. memeing around) topics should be avoided. If you are in a geographical area where the coronavirus is present, be prepared, but do not panic.
And of course follow all forum rules, and contain extended and commentary discussion to this thread as much as possible as a courtesy.

PurpleEyedGuma

21st Century Schizoid Mon
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 9, 2019
Pronouns
They / Them
Having to do online schooling really blows (as does missing most public events), but it's necessary. I've been told, though, the virus gets weaker as it spreads more. Is that true?

Garnet

Hater of the Monty Hall Problem
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
They/He
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A strange Pokémon that claims to be both an artist and writer, yet almost never has any work to show for either.
Oh god, my work has been flooded this past week. We sold out of hand sanitizer, alcohol, and disinfectant wipes a week ago, got more on our truck yesterday, and sold out of them within two hours. Today we ran out of toilet paper and are close to running out of napkins. I had to make a sign to put up in the door because the place was packed (I had 261 customers myself, and that was with another cashier on most of the time) and almost every person who came by was looking for one of those things. After we ran out of toilet paper, one dude bought like six good sized packages of napkins and around seventy dollars of canned food - And keep in mind, I work at a Dollar Tree, so that's a Whole Goddamn Lot Of Food. Our state only had its first confirmed case today, but you'd think it was already the damn apocalypse with the way people are wiping places out. Someone call Neil Gaiman and summon Terry Pratchett's ghost from the grave, looks like they gotta rewrite Good Omens, lmao.

On a more serious note, someone who works at one of the nearby clinics was talking about how they haven't been able to get any of the masks they use for work because of all the panic, and I've seen a lot of posts online expressing similar issues with medical gloves and stuff from others in the healthcare industry, as well as from people with chronic illnesses and suppressed immune systems - Because of all the healthy/able people freaking out about this, they're having trouble getting the supplies they need on a constant basis. Nobody wants to get sick, but when the people who are A) caring for those who are sick, or B) are most vulnerable to the disease's severe symptoms, can't get what they need to do their jobs or survive, that's... not great. I don't know about anywhere else, but I'm really hoping corporate will put a limit on how many people can buy of these things just so those who need it most have some hope of getting to it before a single healthy, able-bodied dude buys three cases of it. Some of the dozens of people who bought up all of our toilet paper were talking about reselling it, and I want to think it's a joke, but I've been hearing for a week or so now that people were scalping hand sanitizer so hard on Amazon the company had to actually step in and stop it. Like, I get we all need money, but don't... don't be that guy. C'mon, man.

Clockenstein

invisible hero
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 12, 2019
~/forums/nuzf/users/c/clockenstein/data/public/
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Fatal kernel error: 'DEX_BASIC' not found.
I've been told, though, the virus gets weaker as it spreads more. Is that true?
I'm not sure why that would be the case, but what was the reasoning / explanation you were given w.r.t. that claim? It sounds like sort of a relief, but I don't think it's particularly likely from what I understand.

I've been out of university this semester, which is hopefully a good look for my avoidance chances because I've been shut in like a mole for the last three months. Has led to my dad getting on my case about how my sedentary lifestyle will make my immune system weaker, but I'm more concerned for him because even though he touts an active lifestyle as a mitigating factor if he does catch it, he's getting on in years and I know he has some blood pressure issues. You know what they say about putting the speck in your brother's eye before the plank in your own? Yeah...

PurpleEyedGuma

21st Century Schizoid Mon
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 9, 2019
Pronouns
They / Them
I'm not sure why that would be the case, but what was the reasoning / explanation you were given w.r.t. that claim? It sounds like sort of a relief, but I don't think it's particularly likely from what I understand.
My parents just told it to me. I now realize it most likely isn't true.

khorale

Ruler of the Pillow Fort
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 22, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
She enjoys showing off her artwork to others, and constantly discovers new techniques to experiment with
My university is still open despite the increase of risks... Doesn't help that it's of top of a mall, one of the main stops for a lot of bus and the skytrain, has 4 separate campus locations in cities and most definitely have a lot of different people come and go from all over the nearby districts.

starmouse

All in service of some implacable "just cause".
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Water, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon is said to be scared of its own shadow. It can often be found sitting in the rain.
My concern is for older folks and those with pre-existing conditions like diabetes. With the death rate as high as it is for the elderly, it would be a very unfortunate situation if this were to become endemic or even seasonal. We all have people in our lives whom we care for who are at higher risk. Sometimes that person is ourselves, sometimes it's a parent or grandparent or friend. This is a good time to be conscientious of hand-washing and to keep tabs on advice provided by your country's health organization.

Another issue is ventilator access & burden on hospitals. Many folks need to be hospitalized even if they don't ultimately die. There are only so many ventilation machines to go around.

My mother is a family doctor and notes that (in our area) we already just get by with the supply that we have.

pinkshellos

Black Lives Matter !!
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 23, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Bug, Flying
Pokédex Entry
A timid Pokémon typically found in groups. The only thing that motivates her more than companionship is food.
Oh, man. Cases only just got confirmed in my general area but my school’s been so proactive about it that I’m already out for a week and then some. Some of my teachers are trying to do classes and assignments online, some aren’t.

My biggest concern — other than people with preexisting conditions — is misinformation and public hysteria. My friend gave me the whole “buy toilet paper and beans, sell your stocks” spiel and my normally rational dad came up with a alarmingly detailed conspiracy theory. This isn’t the apocalypse at all and I hope the general public™️ will calm down a little. We can take general safety precautions without society collapsing. It'll be a strain on public hospitals, the economy of most countries, school systems, etc. but most likely it will pass and things will be ok - everything will be easier if people stay calm.
(Feel free to call me out on any potentially incorrect claims.)

Don't believe everything you're told. Ask people for their sources. Do research yourself. Stay educated and most importantly stay safe.

Edit: Also, my heart goes out to at risk areas and their families who can't take time off work or stop going to school. Particularly homeless kids in New York City who rely on their school for meals, laundry, etc. It shouldn't be that way.

Fool

I'm Eltaba now.
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
Call me whatever you want.
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Rock
Pokédex Entry
Frequently criticizes inane video game plots, especially those involving spiky haired boys and cats.
Please be safe everybody. Remember to stay indoors and wear the necessary protections when outdoors. I wish everybody the best.

Tookie

The Immoral Bard
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Poison, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
This user does not exist. All impressions to the contrary are propaganda pieces and not to be trusted.
Haha they tell us to avoid large gatherings of people but I work in one of the last places that would be able to get away with saying Pool's Closed and my area already has known cases. The Toilet Paper War has us packed to the gills and while the overtime is helpful for my bank balance I don't think the general exhaustion is good for the immune system.

I'd like to fuck it off but unfortunately living alone means man's got bills to pay and sick leave only stretches so far, and I'm gonna need to scrounge all the overtime I can get before sods law and my luck get me the thing.

original nickname

What's your poison?
Artist
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 4, 2019
Pokémon Type
Ice, Cool
I am not worries about the virus.

What worries me is the effect on business. The industry I work in is currently in the midst of a downturn as a result. People I know in the restaurant industry have reported wave upon wave of cancelled bookings. Footfall at my own pub is down by a measurable amount. Heck it's Friday night and we should be packed, instead it's at half capacity and I have enough time to sit down and have a beer while I write this on shift.

We haven't even been hit with stricter social distancing measures; this is just people staying home. If something happens similar to what is happening to Italy (total lockdown) or to a lesser extent Czech Rep., Poland or Norway (all bars ordered to close). It'll get very bad indeed, people will hose their jobs. Businesses will go bust.

We hopefully will stay afloat. I just hope the owner gets back from Singapore since I am running things while he is away. I am good at my job and running a pub, running a pub in a pandemic, not so much.

Rhema

Conqueror of the Azalea Gym
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
She tries her best, but doesn't succeed. She gets what she wants but not what she needs.
@original nickname I, too, am more worried about the implications of the virus than actually catching it. Like, I'm 23 and my husband is 27- we'd likely be totally fine if either of us caught it, and we don't live near grandparents or elderly folks we'd see on a regular basis so I wouldn't be worried about passing it to anyone.

No, what worries me is the effect on businesses, the economy, healthcare, etc.... Just in my own personal life, I've seen this come into play already. We lost $9,000 in our mutual fund because of the effect the virus has had on the stock market, making us have to borrow some money for our downpayment. Speaking of our house, we are needing to contact our lender to make sure interest rates aren't changing and that we can still actually receive our home loan (I've seen multiple people on Reddit claim their lenders have postponed or declined lending to them, screwing them out of being able to buy a house atm.

In terms of jobs, I'm sure we're all seeing workplaces require or strongly suggest working from home. What about people who can't because of the nature of their job? Will they be forced to stay home? Will they get paid? Will they get fired? It's all stressful to think about, even if it doesn't directly impact you. I'm optimistic everything will turn out okay, but am unsure of the extent to which this virus will hurt the US (and other countries obviously, I just live in the US so it's more in the front of my mind)

• Cry
Reactions: Bug

Fool

I'm Eltaba now.
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
Call me whatever you want.
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Rock
Pokédex Entry
Frequently criticizes inane video game plots, especially those involving spiky haired boys and cats.
I checked out a lady who bought 500 bucks worth of stuff today. Situations stressful, but it’s good to see people making the proper preparations.

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
A Pokémon shrouded in hearsay and urban legend, spoken of only in whispered tales and hushed gossip.
The panic just reached my town yesterday, but no confirmed cases that I'm aware of in my city yet. Wednesday, while it was a bit busier than normal, had everything seeming pretty sane and the only thing you could tell about a virus running around were one of those "Coronavirus pre-cautions" posters on the buses I take to/from work and on our paper towel dispenser at work.

Next day? Madness. Like... I work a grocery store and the crowds we're having are outdoing any holiday I've ever worked. It's a bit of wake-up call to walk in, see the registers packed at 9 A.M, and almost every buggy having at least one pack of toiler paper or bottled water, usually both and more. Everyone's doing their grocery shopping while they're at it so, even though I'm somewhat resistant to the insanity by working in the meat market, we're still getting cleaned out. I'm willing to bet that we're completely out of fresh chicken and ground beef at this point, for example. Probably out of all our fresh sale items too.

Also, something just feels off when there's hundreds of people around panic shopping up supplies while a customer you're talking to is more concerned about having absolutely perfectly cut beef fillets.

The real thing that makes me feel uneasy are some of the people I ride the bus with. There was one lady going on and on about how the only cures to the virus are God and Purel hand sanitizer and the FDA is trying to shut all that down so they can release a vaccine to kill everyone. There's also a lot of heavily religious people on the buses and a lot of them were talking about how they didn't need to worry or take any pre-cautions because "God won't let them get sick". Like, I'm not going to knock people's beliefs, but it's making me worry that, if the virus gets here, the churches are going to end up being huge infection vectors.

Good news at least, my employer instituted a program where anyone who gets the virus, or is exposed, is eligible for up to two weeks 65% of their usual pay while they're quarantined at home. Granted, you have to burn your PTO at 100% pay first if you have any, but still is reassuring since, considering I'm reliant on public transit right now, I'm at elevated levels of risk of exposure.

SaintsGarden

Rune Collector
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 29, 2020
Nature
Serious
Pronouns
No Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Ground, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Is actually named Eden, which is what this one likes making player character names vaguely thematically related to, hence 'Saint' and 'Garden'
Despite the content of this post, I do actually have an overall optimistic opinion on what people can do for each other and the future WRT eliminating the virus. A lot of takes from the past week on twitter have just made me feel... frustrated.

It's frustrating to feel like many people's response to the virus itself is simple apathy or competitive doomsday prep panic buying – western individualism never ceases to surprise me in new and worse ways. I genuinely have no sympathy for people more concerned about finding ways to continue to make a profit on their property ownership, business ownership, et cetera instead of being concerned over not putting the lives of other human beings at risk. And if it sounds like I'm condemning everyone who actually needs to work to survive, especially when your employment is at stake if you don't, I'm not. In times of crisis with such a lack of a social safety net (in the US especially), it's inevitable that we all take some form of risk whether to finances or to health. The most we can do about it when we have to do the latter is to be careful and considerate as to not bring the virus to ourselves or others.

But with that said, I do not know how to explain to societal leeches that limiting the ability of a virus to take the lives of more at-risk people than it already has is more important than profitability.

0 Anonymous

Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Pokémon Type
???
It's so wild to see everyone go into a panic over the last week. A friend had her college send home everyone for a month, then mine did the same, and both of ours send an email yesterday saying the entire semester's been canned in favor of online. One of my professors had to cancel a trip and speech because new Uni health guidelines prohibited all travel and speeches to crowds > 100. Another in a public accounting firm had every meeting go digital, all travel canned, and witnessed the tragic demise of Thirsty Thursdays.

The drop in investments doesn't matter, really. The only time an unrealized gain or loss matters is when you actually go and cash out your stocks, bonds, etc.

MouseWithADinosaurTail

A Comedian At Heart
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
She's like a sea urchin. Tough and prickly on the outside, but delicate and easily wounded if hit the wrong way. Please handle gently.
While aware that the coronavirus outbreak is pretty bad and scary, my emotions about it were at least stable until I made the mistake of deciding to scroll through tumblr last night. For all the talk people our age make about boomers overreacting to the outbreak, there sure is a lot of outright panic, misinformation, and despair circulating that site. I was already in a really bad, shaky mood from my friend getting triggered by that horrible cartoon, so seeing all the panic and misery on display was NOT good for me. I ended up installing a site blocker on chrome to keep myself away from those spaces cause god, who really thinks it's a good idea to mass-reblog fearmongering and "we're gonna die" posts. Come the fuck on.

Sorry for the really negative post. >m<

Kadew

*bird sounds*
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Doesn't actually like birds all that much.
The only good tumblr post regarding all this is that one of Italians singing together from their rooftops and balconies while on self isolation. That one is nice. I do so love seeing the goodness and solidarity and human spirit that endures despite terrible circumstances.

Last edited:

Bug

👉😎👉
Administrator
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
oh fuck oh shit my dots...............................................................................................................................
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The only good tumblr post regarding all this is that one of the Italians singing together from their rooftops and balconies while on self isolation. That one is nice. I do love seeing the goodness and solidarity and human spirit that endures despite terrible circumstances.
Omg do you have the post?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)