• Episode Four of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode will be the last one featuring chapters from Call of the Divines and Solstice! Tune in to hear what the story's creators have to say about these audio adaptations of their runs.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Sinnoh Written Log Commentary Continental Conquest - A (Hardcore) Platinum Wedlocke Log

Thread Description
A (Hardcore) Wedlocke of Pokemon Platinum, logged with no story, just the inane ramblings and inevitable demise of me, your host, Frankied00dle

Frankied00dle

Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Good Morning Gamers one and all!

It's a crazy world at the moment, and to find relief for myself and hopefully you all, with this run I will begin screaming into the void (you guys) about the trials and tribulations of my...

O========================================O
Pokemon Platinum (Hardcore) Wedlocke!

To give you an idea of what you're about to see;

[Insert Picture of a car crash here]
[No really I wanted to but couldn't figure out how please help]

Or, more specifically, I will be documenting my run here, (with no fancy story elements I leave that to the immensely talented writers here)
but instead an account of a rule-set that tested me to my absolute limit in my recent Emerald Wedlocke.

Standard Wedlocke rules:
1) Fainted Pokemon = Dead Pokemon
2) Can only catch first Pokemon on each route
-a) Gender Clause - Only catch appropriate partners (more on this later, not much more I promise)
-b) Dupes Clause
-c) Gift Clause - Gift Pokemon are allowed IF the first encounter (Not including starter, because I definitely didn't forget)
-d) Once a Pokemon is added to the party, it can not be removed until death does it part
3) Nickname All (Theme - Countries, On hindsight this may have been a tactless choice, but I intend to be offensive in no way)
4) Pokemon are partnered and can only fight together
-a) Party configuration = (Male + Female)/(Male +Male)/(Female/Female)
-b) If one dies, replace appropriately from the box, whichever gender a Pokemon prefers in the first place, they will forever)
Things get more tough:
5) No items in battle (Held items and Pokeballs are okay)
6) Level Limits!

Gym #1: 14
#2: Level 22
#3: Level 26
#4: Level 32
#5: Level 37
#6: Level 41
#7: Level 44
#8: Level 50
Pokémon League
Elite Four: Level 57
Champion: Level 62

Ooooh boy that's a lot of rules!
If you read it all, I'm sorry, but hopefully it gives an idea of the challenge I'm going for in this run.
Without further ado, I can begin my first update proper...
My protagonist is Earth, and this globetrotter is a complete glutton for punishment. After clearing the Hoenn league, he's here to flounder his way through Sinnoh, accompanied by none other

Than the profound...
The proud...
The... penguin? (I ran out of P words, alright?)

Piplup!
Nicknamed Norway
After, well you know, the country...
(GET it? EARTH? Hello void?)​

I'll get in to details momentarily, because soon after he's acquired, and I'm dragged kicking and screaming through the catch tutorial, I try something...
A Little Risky... (there is no risk involved)
Usually I would try and dupe out Starly and Bidoof before venturing to route 202, but this time... I thought maybe...

Introducing Pair One!

Norway
(Piplup ♂)--------------------------Kenya (Shinx ♀)
Starter----------------------------------------------Route 202
Timid
(Workable)-----------------------------Brave (Hell Yes)
Torrent -------------------------------Intimidate (See Above)​

Shinx is really what I was going for, and was very lucky to find this little lady, who will be paired with my starter.
(These two Pokemon will now only be able to pair with the opposite gender)
While both eventually terrified of Ground Types, these two synergise well together, in my opinion.
I train up, clear the trainers on route 202, fast forward through Looker to get to my next pair...

Introducing Pair Two!

Russia (Starly ♀)---------------------------England (Budew ♀)
Route 201---------------------------------------------Route 204
Timid
(:psyduck:)---------------------------------------Naive (Sweet)
Keen Eye--------------------------- Natural Cure (Sweet above)​

Both pretty much guaranteed staples of the Sinnoh region, these two make up for their recursive nature in gen 4 Nuzlockes with their reliability, provided I can keep them alive until their full potential...
(These two Pokemon must now forever be paired with a female Pokemon)
So I'll try and make little commentaries about natures and such - with rules as strict as mine, such factors will be important, I should imagine.
This is not to say for a second that I will rule out any Pokemon! (Especially my Initial Six, which cannot be changed before death, heaven forbid)

I train the two new comers to an appropriate level, pick up the quick claw from the easternmost apartment building, and begin to take on the trainers of route 204, whom I must admit gave me little trouble with Russia and England handling everything. With things feeling stable...

I feel that's a good place to end it this time! On a high, no deaths, just starting out.

This is my first documented run. I've spent countless hours enthralled by all of your stories, inspired to play along and finally to present you with my humble ramblings.
While not the first Nuzlocke I've completed with the 'Hardcore' rule-set (please stop saying hardcore...) I've lost many more, so feel free to expect that at every time here.
Any feedback, about the run or the way I'm documenting it, would be greatly appreciated. Logs will be longer than this, but as it's my first time I figured I'd keep it short.
Next time - my Rival! who will receive a proper introduction, and loads more action I promise.
Thank you so much!

O== Norway =&= Kenya ==O
(Piplup & Shinx)

O==Russia =&= England ==O
(Starly & Budew)

These will be more detailed in future, I'm going to go over movesets and natures in more detail before the Big Fight

Last edited:

Frankied00dle

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

So, last time we left off, the team had a little training to do (horrifying flashbacks of training newly caught Budew and Timid Starly...)
Thankfully, this was much easier, and prior to our Rival battle I’m proud to formally present you to The Team!

Pair One:
Norway
(Piplup)----------Kenya (Shinx)
Lv.9. --------------------------------Lv.9.
Pound-----------------------------Tackle
Growl--------------------------------Leer
Bubble---------------------------Charge

Pair Two
Russia
(Starly)-----------------England (Budew)
Lv.9.-----------------------------------------Lv.9.
Tackle------------------------------------Absorb
Growl-------------------------------Water Sport
Wing Attack-----------------------------Growth​

Rival Battle Plan: smack everything up with Wing Attack

Rival Team: Starly/Turtwig
(I’d like to point out here that I’m not looking up any trainer Pokemon during this run. I took my level limits from this very handy page, if I can’t remember what a rival/gym leader has, I’ll take a guess. I have played this game before, including a failed nuzlocke at the 7th gym, but not for some time)

O==================O
LET’S GO
Rival Fight 2 - Earth vs. Sol
O==================O

Is it a Starly Stand-off? Or have I had too much to drink?

Turn 1:
  • Russia out speeds and... well to tell you the truth I’ve been dubious about Russia, with her minus attack nature, but that health bar just vanished, a crit? Okay, sorry Ms. Russia, carry on...
Turn 2:
  • Sol sends out Turtwig, and just like Napoleon, thinks it’s a good idea to attack Russia in the winter. It’s isn’t. No prizes for guessing what attack I used, doing roughly 80% health. Turtwig uses Withdraw. That shall not save you, child.
Turn 3:
  • Russia sees off Turtwig with no issues, growing to level 10 in the progress!

So the rival battle was no issue, due mostly to that lucky crit. I actually took no damage, so could not be happier with the result.
Moving forward, I fear I may have trained my Pokemon a little too much in accordance to my level limit rule (lv.14 currently), and would like to fill out the last pair of my team.
Despite having two Pokemon with a clear advantage over the first gym, both of their respective partners struggle with Roark’s rock types. I would love this final pair to be able to handle Roark with no issue. Whatever two male Pokemon I get here, they are locked into my team, so let’s hope they can handle it!
I’m going all Metal Gear on the trainers between Jubilife city and Oreburgh, they’re thankfully all easy to dodge. What I got fantastically lucky on through Route 3 was not running into any Pokemon! This means my plan has worked, and so I can finally introduce you all to...

Pair 3:
Indonesia (Zubat, male)-----Ukraine (Machop, male)
Oreburgh Gate----------------------------------R. 207
Sassy (I’ll live)------------------------------------Hardy
Inner Focus---------------Guts (could come in handy)
Lv.5.------------------------------------------------Lv.7.​

No Nuzlcke would be complete without either of these Pokemon, both very reliable in due time. It doesn’t, however, give me a clear cut answer to Roark (I really wanted Psyduck...). Guts does give me an insanely high attack stat, but more on that later.

With a full team of three very in love pairs, I’m ready to tackle all the trainers I missed. Indonesia and Ukraine aren’t ready to fight yet, so I leave them in the back.
(One multi-route butt-whooping later...)
To be truthful, none of the trainers give me much trouble. The first trainer of Route 203. has a Kircketot with Bide that gives Kenya the Shinx a scare, but a couple of Leers stalls out any real danger.

So at this point, I realise I have a few catches to catch up on, for one of which I pick up the Old Rod west of Jubilife.

Here’s what we caught:

• Lake Verity: Canada/Bidoof (male, lv. 4)
  • Twinleaf Town: Japan/Magikarp (male, lv. 7)
  • Oreburgh Mine: Peru/Geodude (male, lv.6)

There are no surprises here, but I’m happy to have solid back-ups in my PC. In the event any Pokemon is brought onto the team (hopefully no time soon, but who am I kidding?) I will show them off in more detail.

After catching Peru in the mines, I clear the trainers out efficiently with England’s grass and Russia’s flying coverage. After giving Roark a swift kick up the backside, I follow him to his place of work and proceed to humiliate the children he employs with Norway’s bubble.

So I can think of nothing to do before fighting Roark (trust me, I TRIED), but dear viewers, I shall leave it there for this second update!
Between now and next time I’ll train my Pokemon up to level 14, in accordance with my level limit. (I plan on training Norway & England in the mines and the rest on route 207 for the few attack ev’s)

Hopefully I covered a little more ground this update. I’m trying to juggle not overloading you with trivial information and getting enough action in, but to tell you the truth it’s been plain sailing until this point (PLEASE game don’t punish me for saying this, I pray to lord Cynthia)

I’m going to leave you all with the dilemma I now face, you’re welcome. WHICH PAIR DO I USE?! None of my pairs share an advantage over the gym, no matter which pair I choose, one Pokemon will surely fall if the other does. So here’s my thoughts...

Norway & Kenya (Piplup and Shinx)
Norway makes an obvious choice, given his type. But STAB isn’t enough when your move has 20 BP
Shinx has intimidate which could prove invaluable. However, he will not evolve, and can barely damage the first two Pokemon.
Honestly, I’m also most reluctant to lose these two (I am DETRMINED to get an Epoeon, please oh Pokemon lord).

Russia & England (Starly/Staravia and Budew)
England again has an obvious type advantage. I’ve seen some of you dedicated folks run for hours without a soothe bell or a bike to make happiness evolutions happen early, but I’m afraid I just don’t have the patience, and as a Budew I’m not sure about here damage output...
Russia again has intimidate, but suffers a more obvious weakness and can do even less damage than Kenya.

Indonesia & Ukraine (Zubat and Machop)
Indonesia is genuinely useless here, besides a possible last ditch supersonic
I think Ukraine could be my answer here. Guts. Fighting STAB. my overriding concern for Machop is Cranidos, who will our speed and likely make me flinch with head butted, bringing my already reduced health thanks to poison even lower.

I don’t think there is an easy answer, more, damage control over which pair... face this very uphill battle.

Wish me luck guys! See you at level 14!

Any feedback would be hugely appreciated, still finding my feet with formatting my updates, and am genuinely clueless as to how to use loads of the useful tools on here :psyduck: Thanks so much for reading!

Perpetually Underleveled

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 6, 2020
This is cool, and the ruleset definitely looks hard! I love your name theme!

For the gym, I would recommend Ukraine, his Low Kick will dispatch of Onix and, most importantly, he resists Pursuit, so if you get Screeched or Leered and it's going badly you can safely switch. Cranidos doesn't have rock STAB anyway. While Norway and England would struggle to do good enough damage to Cranidos, Ukraine is a clean 2HKO on a a high crit chance move in Karate Chop. Not sure if self poisoning is worth it, though, it will give you an OHKO on the Cranidos, but without Guts you should still do enoough damage to Cranidos to force it into Potion, which won't even heal fully - personally, I was able to sweep this gym pretty easily with non-Guts Machop without using healing items.

Tailsimp

A Universally Under-Rested University Imp
🎇Contributor
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Tailsimp: The Impish Pokemon. Despite being quiet and reserved, this pokemon is usually very happy to talk and is always excited to help out!
That ruleset looks tough, but I'm rooting for you! And I'm a fan of your formatting so far, though I will be honest in that I don't ever really read turn-for-turn style battle summaries. I usually just read a recap for that unless it's super important to the battle.

I'm seconding the idea to use Ukraine. Seems like your best bet all around. And as Perpetually Underleveled noted (which I didn't even think about) you'll even resist pursuit if you need to switch. All-in-all, I think it's your best bet!

🤞 Good luck!!!

Frankied00dle

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
@Perpetually Underleveled : Thank you so much! It's definitely a punishing ruleset, but so much fun. I really appreciate the advice, I won't spoil if I followed it or how it went just yet, but the feedback is so appreciated!

@Tailsimp : Thanks so much for the feedback! Especially about the formatting, I think I'll break it down by Pokemon from now on, maybe with a tldr at the bottom for longer fights. Thanks for the reply and for the good luck, I'll need it!

Sorry for the slow update! I have... no excuse. So without further ado, welcome back to...

Part 3
So last time we left off, I was trying to figure out how best to beat the first gym, and thanks to some wonderful replies I feel ready! I won't do a full team shot, instead just the pair to face the gauntlet:

Ukraine (Machop, Lv.14)
Low Kick/Karate Chop/ Focus Energy/Leer

&
Indonesia (Zubat, Lv. 12)
Astonish/Leech Life/Supersonic​

So basically I went with the advice I was given, ultimately I wanted to protect my starter and I felt Ukraine could handle it. Zubat is under-leveled because training was agony and if he switches in it's probably over for the pair anyway...

Less thinking like that!

O====================O
LET’S GO
Gym Fight 1 - Earth vs. Roark
O====================O​
Ukraine up front, lets kick some butt.
  • Geodude: Fell to two Karate Chops, set up Stealth Rock
  • Cranidos: Suprised me by coming out second, got a Leer off before Karate Chop crit! OHKO
  • Onix: Rock Throw for very little damage, OHKO with Low Kick!
I'm sorry to have kept you waiting for what was ultimately a very simple battle, but that crit definitely saved the pair. I wouldn't have liked to see how much Headbutt did at -1 defence...

So with Gym 1 out of the way, my immediate aim is to evolve my team members. Russia evolves first into Staravia, Intimidate being very handy. Speaking of, next up is Kenya, who beats up the Galactic Grunts and evolves into Luxio (34 attack babey, much better). Finally is my precious starter Norway who finally evolves into Prinplup!

. . .

And learns Rock Smash... I know, this sucks, but I honestly don't think I'll be that bothered by anything on his moveset before the move-deleter.
Rock Tomb goes to Ukraine, Pluck to Indonesia (Finally! Usable STAB!...)

Much like before, clearing the Grunts out of the meadow/Windworks is no problem, but before Mars I decide to do a little training. Last to reach lv. 16 (except England...) is Indonesia, and at 15 I encounter a Pachisrisu....

I'm gonna level with you here, readers. I was re-watching Avatar: The Last Airbender while training and... was not paying full attention. You see, the game tried to warn me but I forgot Bide had priority... The Pachi was confused, Zubat had a 50/50 chance of living...

But unfortunately, he didn't. Ukraine comes in to deal with the Pachi as savagely as possible.

+++++++++++
R.I.P.
Indonesia
Lv.5 - Lv.15

+++++++++++
And the Pluck TM
My first death of the run and it weighs heavily, Golbat would have guaranteed me the second Gym badge...
My box has three eligible Male Pokemon; the next level limit is 22, so I figure it's a good time to break out...

Japan (Magikarp, Male)
Lv.7
Mild​

I know, one death in and I'm pulling out Gyarados... Sorry readers but I feel with what I've got in the box, he's the best match for Ukraine. I should have got my encounters before fighting Mars, but I didn't. Speaking of Mars, I'm not going to train Japan at all yet, instead taking her on with Norway and Kenya.

O===========O
LET'S GO
Galactic: Mars 1
O===========O

Purugly is a killer, I'm nervous for this fight:
  • Zubat: Missed a Toxic, taken out by Norway with no issues
  • Purugly: Not having lost much health, Norway stays in to get off two Rock Smashes (-2 def!) Switch to Kenya who Intimidates and finishes the Fat Cat off​
Success! Embarrassing that these difficult fights have been handled with relative ease, but I lost a mon to Pachirisu...

No time to dwell! I need to recruit more Pokemon to the Allied Nations of Agonised Lovers...

(I don't think that acronym is going to work)

Here's a summary of my catches:
  • Windworks: Greece (Buizel, Male) Lv.11 / Hasty
  • Meadow: Brazil (Aimpom, Male) Lv.11 / Rash
  • R. 205: Madagascar (Shellos, Female) Lv.11 / Adamant
Very happy with Aipom from the honey tree, It will evolve to have technician, too! And for once I find myself being drawn to Buizel over Shellos.

So you may have noticed that England the Budew was not mentioned in the evolution-extravaganza that occurred. She's still level 15; I do not want to miss out on Leech Seed, but her happiness is still SO low.
When I'm working around a level limit, I like to avoid as many trainers as possible before fighting the Gym Trainers allowing me to control how many levels I gain. There are a couple of required fights in Eterna Forest but I handle them easily enough, and sprint towards the exit. Cheryl Runs up after me, panting and out of breath, doubled over. I snatch the Soothe Bell from her hands and don't stop running.

And running...

And... You get the idea. Lots of running, so much in fact, I'm gonna end the update here. If I haven't gone crazy from happiness grinding, I'll see you soon for the next update, ft. a bird eating some grass types (hopefully) and a stinky stinky boy (help).

And thus endeth Part the Third. I feel galvanised to continue this run, despite a friendship evolution and much grinding to come. The replies were a big part of that, so thanks again guys, and see you soon! (Probably tomorrow! Maybe Sooner! Probably who knows!)

Norway & Kenya >===< Russia & England >===< Ukraine & Japan
(Prinplup/Luxio) >==< (Staravia/Budew) >==< (Machop/Magikarp)
(Lv. 17/17) >===< (Lv. 18/15) >===< (Lv. 17/7)​

Tailsimp

🎇Contributor
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Tailsimp: The Impish Pokemon. Despite being quiet and reserved, this pokemon is usually very happy to talk and is always excited to help out!
Ohhh man that clutch critical hit in the gym is a lifesaver. Glad to hear it went off without a hitch! Even more impressed to hear that mars went off so well! Honestly this ruleset is harsh but you're managing really well so far! And I know happiness grinding can be a lot, but hey, find a safe place to run and you can watch ATLA with no fear while u do it!

I'm sad to see Indonesia go, but honestly its super relateable that you haven't lost a mon to any of the big battles, but you did lose one to grinding. The big battles always have our 100% full attention, but grinding always feels safe, so we let our guard down. RIP our funky little bat friend.

(Also, you're right, that acronym probably won't work LMAO)

Season

Formally known as White Chaos.
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2020
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him/his
Pokémon Type
Grass, Poison
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon is the Unovan regional form of the Pokémon White Chaos, shrugging the Dark/Psychic typing in favor of a Grass/Poison persona.
Big fan of Wedlockes, Platinum, and the naming theme! Keep it up! :]

localhoney

-free as all the pretty horses in our dreams-
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 17, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Localhoney, the Sweet Toxin Pokemon. It's said that the sounds it emits can paralyze even a Gigantamax Grimmsnarl.
Really digging the naming theme! While not wanting to see any deaths on the squad, I would love to see an Ambipom at some point during the run. Good luck!

Frankied00dle

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
@Tailsimp : The words of encouragement mean a lot, especially in regard to me being an idiot haha but you're absolutely right, my brain is so switched on in battles, it doesn't take much for it to switch off... Hopefully we can get a Gyarados, then I wont need to pay attention! Thanks again for the reply

@Season : I'm 3/3! But really thanks for the reply, feedback means a lot, and I especially love the limitations of both a wedlocke and Platinum!

@localhoney : Thanks so much! That's the killer with Wedlockes, your boxes tend to become full of stuff you wouldn't mind using because you can't replace your team at will. I'm certain this run will provide enough deaths for him to come out haha

Thanks again for the replies guys! Onto the next chapter of...

O=====================================O
O=====================================O
Part 4

So last time we left off, I had a lot of happiness grinding and regular grinding to do. I am pleased to tell you that it is finally done. I swear I will never grind happiness without a bike again. Here's the results of the grind:
  • England: Evolved into Roselia! Learned Leech Seed and Magical Leaf. This took 24000+ steps, AtLA can only do so much...
  • Japan: Evolved into Gyarados! This one I feel a little guilty for... And then that goes away and I've got a 60+ attack Pokemon.
Finally, in time for the second gym, I grind the whole team to 22; with Galactic immediately afterwards, I want everyone at a good level. The two to take on Gerdenia, however, are as follows:

Russia (Staravia Lv.22)
Wing Attack / Quick Attack / Double Team / Endeavor
&
England (Roselia lv.22)
Magical Leaf / Leech Seed / Stun Spore / Cut

So the plan here is to hopefully get Flying-Type-Nasty on this gym, but Russia's minus attack nature (Timid) is making me nervous. I have little choice but to push through.

O========================O
LET’S GO
Gym Fight 2 - Earth vs. Gardenia

O========================O
  • Turtwig: Fell to 4 Wing Attacks, after being healed, setting up Reflect (yikes) and the sun.
  • Cherrim: Managed to get off two Magical Leaves and a Safeguard, leaving Russia at about 60% (Reflect ends!)​
  • Roserade: Lived first WA, used Stun Spore. I get fully paralysed and knocked down to >30% meaning I can't stay in... Switch to England and I've never been so glad I taught it cut. I paralyse and beat it down slowly, with it barely damaging England.​
Success! Not the prettiest battle at the end there, but I'm very proud of England, managing to pull through against her evolved form! The -attack nature did indeed come to bite me, missing out on the 2HKO on both Turtwig and Cherrim. A win is a win though, I'm glad we made it unscathed.

Despite the fact I know there's a tough battle coming up, I want to push ahead. The game opens up a lot in the near future with the bike and the vs. seeker, and I want those quality of life items.
In order to get a bit of training in, I dismantle the minimum-wage Galactic Goons with Japan, who at level 23 learns Dragon Rage...
Yes I know, it's cheap, and you probably know what's coming up. Please don't judge me. Not one grunt gives me any trouble, even the Kadabra, and suddenly I'm stood before Jupiter.She's the embodiment of evil; taken a Pokemon hostage, who knows what she'll do. Not to mention the high crit chance 70 BP STAB she has on her Skunk. How could I ever possibly hope to defeat such malavel-

*Japan uses Dragon Rage 4 times*

Oh. Right. Yeah okay I guess that will work. Sorry, Jupiter, but in this instance, you're not even worth your own banner.

So I may have trivialised one of the most difficult battles of Platinum's early game, but you guys forgive me, right? I promise this game will ruin my day further down the line, I won't mindlessly click Dragon Rage through another important battle...

Feeling confident after my win against Jupiter, I retrieve my bike and head south on Cyling Road. I remember Electric types being here, so I lead with my Grass type England, and smack head-first into a Staravia...
It’s one level lower than my Pokemon, but I know I can’t take a wing attack, so I switch into Staravia for the intimi-

“Critical Hit!”

Russia’s health drops below half. I can take a non crit, so I get an attack off for about 2/3 of its health as it sets up a double team.
I’m going to let you guys know now, Russia doesn’t pull another attack off. They all miss, after one Double Team. Three attacks.
I could have switched to England sooner for the assured Magical Leaf, but to try and not lose an entire pair I watched Russia’s health drop to zero, helpless to do anything about it.

England comes back in, taking a Quick Attack (???) before finishing of this cruel mirror image of her partner.

+++++++++++
R.I.P.
Russia
Lv.2 - Lv.22

+++++++++++

I won’t lie to you guys, this one hit me hard. Not only have two of the original six fallen, Russia pulled me through the second Gym and countless other battles.
I have an idea what I’ll replace her with, but I don’t wish to dwell on that now. Instead, I’ll be ending the update here! Sorry to end on a bit of a sad note, guys. I’m going to train up my new team member, and I’ll catch you all next time!​

Hopefully we’ll defeat Fantina next episode, but I’ve learned in the game of Nuzlocke there are no assurances.

Your feedback has meant so much so far, so thanks all again!​

Last edited:

Tailsimp

🎇Contributor
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Even if it wasn't pretty, a gym badge is a gym badge! Congrats on getting through that with a -Attack nature! Also, as someone who just had to deal with the terror of Jupiter, reduced to PP stalling out the Skunk I think you using Dragon Rage to wipe it out is freaking hillarious lmao. Its what she deserves.

Russia noooooo! God it always hurts to lose an OG, but this especially hurts because 1 double team causing 3 missed attacks seems so unfair!!! Imma mis this funky little bird. Wish you luck choosing a new mom for the team.

localhoney

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 17, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Localhoney, the Sweet Toxin Pokemon. It's said that the sounds it emits can paralyze even a Gigantamax Grimmsnarl.
I just started up a new Pearl 'locke and I am already dreading Jupiter's Skunk. 4 Dragon Rages to the face is really what it deserves.

Mother Russia cannot die she is only napping. In all seriousness though, so tough to lose such a classic Sinnoh 'mon early on. Hopefully her replacement is just as cool.

Frankied00dle

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
@Tailsimp : Thanks so much! I finally managed to catch up with some of your run and DIED when you walked straight past Jupiter to get the item because I had the exact same reaction like “excuse me just grabbing an item bye” haha. Seeing you fight the skunk made me feel very fortunate, it’s what she deserved. I really appreciate the kind words, hopefully I can keep it at 2 deaths...

@localhoney : Would definitely recommend, although it’s no secret Gyrados is a monster as of gen 4. I can only hope so, even with a minus attack nature, I’m certain she’d have torn up this run. Plenty more staples to be found in early-game Sinnoh though... Thanks again for the reply! Fingers crossed you approve...

Hello one and all! Last time we left off, I limped through Gym 2, went all Lucifer on Jupiter, and ended the update on a low when we lost Russia, our precious Staravia. The Nuzlocke world keeps turning, though, so let’s get on with...

O=======================================O
O=======================================O
Part 5

So we’ve got a lovely lady joining us from the PC. England needs a partner; the choice was Geodude, Shellos or Hoothoot. The latter seemed to fit the role Russia left best, with identical typing. However, in Wedlockes I tend to find myself replacing Pokemon with something similar. While a flying type would be helpful, I decide to go with...

Peru (Graveler, female)
Lv.26
Magnitude / Rock Blast / Defence Curl / Rollout
Jolly
&
England (Roeslia, female)
Lv.26
Giga Drain / Leech Seed / Stun Spore / Cut

Yes, I replaced a Sinnoh staple with a a series staple. Graveler is reliable and covers England’s weaknesses wonderfully. I admit, not the most exciting Pokemon, I’m sure she will prove her worth in yet another run on these forums.

I really need to make sure I’m getting my catches as soon as possible. My choices were limited yet again, and right after I get a bunch more catches... Speaking of:
  • Old Chateau——: Romania (Ghastly, female)
  • Route 211———: Sri Lanka (Bronzor, -)
  • Eterna City:——-: Turkey (Togepi, female) (was initially very sad this didn’t hatch in time, but it has hustle and a bad nature)
  • Mining Museum-: Estonia (Shieldon, male) (First fossil I found underground, took only 5 mins!)
  • Route 206———: Australia (Gligar, female)
  • Route 208———: Mozambique (Ralts, female)
  • Hearthome City-:Austria (Eevee, male)
Whew boy, thank goodness my box is feeling more full. I also have an even spread of genders, which is helpful for team building. Speaking of, you may have noticed Bronzor is among my caught Pokemon...

“But Frankied00dle” I hear you cry, “Bronzor doesn’t have a gender!”
You are absolutely correct beautiful reader, instead of denying myself the few non-gendered Pokemon, I figured I’d celebrate them instead, by letting them pair with any Pokemon.
This may be considered slightly overpowered in a Wedlocke, but love is love damn it! All of my Pokemon want in on Bronzor’s action, what can I say?

Enough rule-stuff. As part of training Peru, I dismantle the hopes and dreams of every trainer leading up to Hearthome. Notable victims include some small children and a hungry, hungry hiker. Any remaining experience came from said Hiker with the Vs. Seeker, me asserting dominance by eating a sandwich during every battle. Gyarados stays at level 24 in order to eat the trainers in the Ghost gym, getting everyone up to lv.26.

A stroll through Amity Square and a quick pop to the Cathedral later (what? I need all the help I can get), I’ve officially run out of things to do before fighting Fantina.
None of my Pokemon have an outright advantage against Ghost Pokemon, so three guesses as to which pair I’m going to use...

Japan (Gyarados)
Lv.26
Bite / Dragon Rage / Leer / Tackle
@Rawst Berry
&
Ukraine (Machop)
Lv.26
Revenge / Low Kick / Seismic Toss / Rock Tomb
@Dread Plate
So once again we have a Gym where one of my pair will pretty much immediately perish upon switching in. No pressure, Japan!

O==========================O
LET’S GO!
Gym Fight 3 - Earth vs. Fantina

• Duskull: Equipped the Rawst Berry over the Dread Plate for this thing... died in one Bite... hope that doesn’t come back to bite me!​
  • Haunter: See above​
  • Mismagius: Confuses me... this could be really bad... thankfully Japan pulls through on the first bite and snaps out for the second!​
It’s a win! Another fight claimed by Japan. I promise to feature my other members more, I have no interest in a Gyrados solo-run, and it wouldn’t be possible.

I can feel Norway’s pokeball shake with excitement as I leave Hearthome, and in classic Platinum Gauntlet style I’m faced with the second major battle this update. There’s only one team for the job!

Norway (Prinplup)
Lv.26
BubbleBeam / Metal Claw / Rock Smash / Peck
&
Kenya (Luxio)
Lv.26
Spark / Bite / Charge / Leer

LET’S GO!
Rival Fight 3 - Earth vs. Sol

• Staravia: Lead with Norway to avoid Intimidate, switched to Kenya as it starts setting up Double Team (Oh No). I miss, he gets another...(OhNo)... I Hit! Bye bye birdie (praise Arceus)​
  • Buizel: Growl / Spark KO!​
  • Grotle: Send out Norway initially to reset stats and get off intimidate. I switch Kenya in to a Critical Razor Leaf! Leaving me at 40%. Kenya is not down yet though, and comes through with a Crit Flinch of her own! It does less than I’d have hoped, leaving me needing three more bites... I don’t get any hax this time, and am knocked to the point where one more Razor Leaf will finish me... I can’t switch, and need a miracle...​
Kenya lands a SECOND critical hit! Without it, she would have surely perished. With it, after Bubble-Beaming Ponyta, Norway and Kenya pull out the win!

We truly see the value of Shift Mode in this Rival battle. In an ordinary Nuzlocke, I would always play Set, but I find Wedlockes challenging enough without. Intimidate coming in clutch once more. The type variety the rival comes with is proving more and more challenging to my limited teams of two.

I’m leaving this update with one last encounter, actually the only eligible Pokemon I can catch thanks to Dupes Clause...
  • Route 209: Mali (Chansey, female)
I wanted to get this out of the way because between now and the next update....

..... I’m going to try and steal a Lucky Egg from a Chancey.

Someone please save me

With a level limit in place, I see nothing overpowered about going for it. If I get no luck before finishing The Legend of Korra, I guess we will go without. Wish me luck!

Phew that was quite the update! Thanks all for sticking with me and for the condolences, I’ve never had so much fun doing a Nuzlocke before, and feel galvanised to keep updating thanks to you! Until next time...

Badges: 3

Deaths: 2

Team:
(Norway & Kenya) (England & Peru) (Japan & Ukraine)
(Prinplup/Luxio)—(Roselia/Graveler)—(Gyarados/Machop)

Last edited:

localhoney

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 17, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Fantina is dangerous, good to see you come out without a scratch. Also, you just reminded me to go Underground, see if I can't get a few Heart Scales and hopefully a Cranidos.

Ah, another pokemon I'd love to see to the box (Gligar) but I love all the staples too (the potential Roserade/Graveler combo is going to be awesome later on).

Tailsimp

🎇Contributor
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Hey, a series staple is a series staple for a reason! What some would call a boring choice I call a smart one, because a geodude/roselia combo covers weakness amazingly! I am 100% onboard with this choice! Similarly, considering Fantina is known to be dangerous as heck, I approve of Japan just annihilating her right away.

Also TY FOR COMING IN CLUTCH KENYA!!! Losing a member of the shinx line always cuts me deep, so I'm so glad Kenya managed to crit hit and survive! Living to tell the tale another day! And keep u company on the most likely long search for a Lucky Egg. Best of luck!!! :fingerscrossed:

Frankied00dle

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy

@localhoney : I must admit I was hoping for Cranidos, but I’ve never actually used a Sheildon! Gligar would be an unbelievable teammate for one of my Pokemon but I don’t want to Jynx it by saying who... hope your run is going well, and thanks!

@Tailsimp : Yeah I just could not resist the type coverage, it’s a dream! Kenya is putting in work and I’m so excited for her to evolve! Thanks again for the reply and the luck, I think it worked!

So guys I’m afraid I don’t have a regular update for you today, instead I could do with asking your guys’ opinion on something.

I have two trade evolutions (hopefully) coming up, what level should I aim for? I’m tempted to go for it as soon as possible but don’t want to miss out on getting to know each stage indivdually. Do you guys have a level you usually evolve Graveler for example? I was thinking about lv.34.

I hope I’m allowed to ask this without a real update, hopefully me finding the Lucky Egg after about two hours is enough! (I got very lucky)

Until next time, thanks again for the feedback.

Tailsimp

🎇Contributor
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Hmmm thats a toughie. I dont have a standard level for evolving trade evolutions because their movesets change between generations. My advice would be to really think about what you want their final moveset to be, and evolving based on that. Honestly the sooner you can start reaping the benefits of Stage 3 Stats, the safer your mon will be, but you want to be sure they can still hit hard later on!

Also congrats on the lucky egg!!! Glad you could get it so early on since those can be the biggest pain to find. I hope that luck stays with you through the rest of the run!

localhoney

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 17, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
Pokédex Entry
EGG. I tried thieving 2 Chanseys and immediately gave up.

For the trade evos, it depends on what moveset you want. For instance, I didn't evolve my Gloom in X/Y until it learned Giga Drain (not a trade evo but you get the idea). You risk them being a little weaker for a little longer, but a lot of times the moveset boost is worthwhile.

Frankied00dle

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
@Tailsimp : Thank you for the advice, in retrospect I probably should have evolved right away but I figured around 6-8 levels should be enough bonding time... hindsight is 20/20 right? I shall say no more. Thanks for the congrats, I honestly couldn't believe my luck! I think it's thanks to all the well wishes I'm receiving here. It's great seeing you and your run featuring in the newsletter by the way, congrats!

@localhoney : EGG. Platinum actually provides good grinding with the vs. seeker but eh, I still wanted the convenience if I could manage it. Trade evos apparently have the same learnset in this gen! eg. Graveler and Golem learn Earthquake on the same level, who knew?! Sure wish I'd have looked it up sooner... thanks for the reply!

Last time, I was very fortunate to find a Lucky Egg after narrowly beating Sol. This time, who knows what might happen. Heartbreak? Probably. Incompetence? Most definitely. Anything is possible in....

Part 6

Here we are again, ready to take on Platinum by force. My Pokemon are in love, I'm scared, let's do this.

The routes in Platinum begin to feel more like gauntlets from this point in the run. Maybe I'm being dramatic, but I can't help but think of the Heracross and Drifblim that are coming up somewhere on these routes. I'm still not looking up what trainer Pokemon use, so I'm still being surprised by a game I've played (and failed) many Nuzlockes of.

During said gauntlet, though, we are truly blessed:

*Ukraine Evolved into Machoke!*

Finally! 28 seems so late for Machop to evolve, but he made it! He and Japan are looking mighty strong, with a massive combined Attack stat. Now I've just got to brawl my way through the rest of the game.

The final double battle of rainy Route 215 is notorious, I believe, for being a killer battle. One habit I picked up from my previous undocumented Emerald Wedlocke was to double battle as often as possible, as it fits the theme of Wedlockes nicely. This makes fights like this more dangerous, but is worth it to see the pair fight side-by-side. Kenya and Norway competently dismantle the Ace Trainers, even managing to avoid Aftermath on Drifblim (NEVER again).

We arrive in Veilstone and I'm torn for choice as to what to do. I love how the game opens up here, and so I figure it's time to catch up on some catches!
  • Route 210: Scotland (Ponyta, Female)​
  • Route 215: Croatia (Scyther, Female) (Timid, unfortunately...)​
  • Route 214: Ecuador (Ryhorn, Male)​
  • Valor Lakefront: Somalia (Girafarig, Male)​
I know better than to rule Pokemon out due to their natures, but I must admit I'm not too excited by most of these encounters... moving on!

===================

Fighting Type Gym; It's time to fight brawn with brawn. So after having received some very helpful advice regarding my trade evolutions, I choose to ignore it because I'm an idiot. I have no direct counter to Maylene's Gym, so can you guess what my plan is? I know, I know, another series of battles made redundant with Japan the Gyara-

*Gym trainer uses a single Croagunk*
Ukraine (only a Machoke, because I'm an idiot) can barely hurt it*
It keeps using Swagger*
Switching to avoid confusion, poisoned on both Pokemon*
"
Hang on a second both of my strongest pair are poisoned, low on health, and consistently do +30% to themselves in confusion, which they do every time..."
"
...And I can't heal them..."

+++++++++++
R.I.P.
Ukraine
Lv.7 - Lv.28
+++++++++++
"...Nothing I can do to save them..."
&

+++++++++++
R.I.P
Japan
Lv.7 - Lv.29
+++++++++++

I'm in utter disbelief. I genuinely hold my DS Lite in disgust, my eyes transfixed on the screen as it prompts me to send out a new Pokemon, two of them bathed in red. It's the first loss of an entire pair this run, one of the Original Six, carried me through two major battles and countless others...

ALL TO A F****** CROAGUNK

Whew, I'm okay, I'll be alright. I send in Norway who dispatches the wretch with ease BECAUSE ITS A CROAGUNK GO-

Okay. That was the last gym trainer. I need to think, clear my head. The last thing I expected was to lose my Pokemon here, but once again it came at a time when my guard is down. I need to build it back up with a new all-boy team, who incidentally will be my plan for the gym. Introducing...

Austria (Flareon, Male)
Lv.32
Fire Blast / Bite / Dig / Quick Attack
Lonely Nature

&

Somalia (Girafarig, Male)
Lv.32
Psybeam / Stomp / Agility / Baton Pass
Mild Nature​

An... unconventional pair, to say the least. Flareon gets a lot of hate, but I couldn't resist that +Attack nature, and the idea of passing him an agility really gave me a kick. Somalia was to add more reliable Super Effective coverage. This isn't the pair I thought I would be using, but I feel good about choosing arguable outliers. Without further ado...

LET’S GO!
Gym Fight 4 - Earth vs. Maylene

• Meditite: Faked me out, whatever, I think. I do over half with Austria's Bite, don't get the flinch. Meditite uses Rock Tomb. Low base power. I figure I'll live.
*It's a Critical Hit*

Okay so that wasn't in the plan, I'm sorry Austria, for your short-lived stint on my team. Looks like it's up to Somalia, who finishes off the Meditite with Psybeam​
  • Lucario: Here's here ace. It Drain Punches me and doesn't do half, I use Psybeam, do over half and confuse it! It smacks itself in the head (it feels SO GOOD to be on the other side of that) and I finish it off with another Psybeam
  • Machoke: Psybeam OHKO
A victory... but at what cost?

+++++++++++
R.I.P

Austria
Lv.20 - Lv.32
+++++++++++

More grinding, it turns out, is the cost. Flareon falls in a manner probably similar to many Flareon... without having done much. But I was sure of Austria's potential, and still am.

It means once more this update that I must add a new member to the team. My male Pokemon are becoming rather limited. I'm going to keep you in suspense as to whom I chose for now, as the pair are on the back burner with the exp.share as I clear all the trainers headed to Pastoria.
Summing it all up in once sentence like that makes it sound very simple, but I'm not exaggerating when I say that literally every single trainer on Route 215 inflicted me with some kind of status, most often CONFUSION, most often resulting in me HITTING MYSELF.

...Can you guys tell that, much like my Pokemon, I am losing my mind? I always crtiticised the mechanic of Pokemon physically harming themselves in confusion, but I can tell you that after that hell-hole of a route, I was right there with them. Never have I related to my team in such a visceral way.

So getting to Pastoria was a slog. I'd hesitantly prepared myself for a Rival Battle heading into the swampy city, but it never came, so I gratefully took refuge in the Pokemon Center. Somalia and his new partner will be taking on the Gym Leader once more here, but while still under-leveled I decide that Kenya would confidently be able to clear the trainers in the gym with Norway as back up...

Can you see the flaw in my logic here, dear readers?

LET’S GO!
(accidental)
Rival Fight 4 - Earth vs. Sol

Ooh boy. This was a mistake. My current Level Limit is 37. Norway & Kenya are both Lv.33. I'm not certain Sol will be at Wake's level, but this doesn't feel good. You guys know them, but I'll reintroduce my original pair again:

Norway (Prinplup)
Lv.33
Bubblebeam / Rock Smash / Metal Claw / Peck

Kenya (Luxray)
Lv.33
Spark / Bite / Charge / Leer
  • Staravia: Lucky lead, uses Endeavor on Kenya who gets a paralysis from Spark. KO'd with roughly 80% health left​
  • Ponyta: Thanks to Switch Mode, Norway comes in and Bubblebeams, failing to KO​
*Sol Switches Ponyta for Grotle*​
  • Grotle: Oh no. It took nothing from Bubblebeam. I need to take a turn switching to Kenya, and suddenly I'm plagued with visions of our last Rival Battle, how close Kenya came to falling to this mean green Turtle. She's a Luxray now, she can handle it easier this time, right?
*Ciritical Hit Razor Leaf*
  • Oh No. Kenya is left at about 35% health. Next turn, I Bite, it flinches! Not so lucky next time, and it takes me down to about 5%... I can't kill it from here, I need a flinch or a bite. I genuinely can't believe I'm repeating that EXACT sentence from the last fight. PLEASE Kenya, you were my first encounter, the pair to my Starter, I've lost too much today...

+++++++++++
R.I.P
Kenya
Lv.4 - Lv.33
+++++++++++

Grotle is left on low health, so Norway comes in and finishes off Sol's team, having no trouble with Buizel.

I don't really have any victory fanfare in me. The fight was a win, but it's an indescribable loss to the run. Accidentally fighting Sol was entirely my mistake, which weighs heavily on me, but the hugely mounting Death Box feels like it's spiraling out of my control. I naively consider myself to be good at Nuzlockes, having completed multiple with similarly difficult rules, but once more Platinum forces me to reconsider all of that.

Kenya, my friend. You were fiercely loyal and intimidating to the end. I'm sorry.

As per my rules, I must replace her immediately, which always feels crude and awkward. The decision though, unlike the events that preceded it, admittedly comes easily...

So I know I'm already keeping you in suspense about one new teammate, but I'm afraid you're going to have to wait a bit longer for this one too. I know I'm cruel, but I've faced four devastating losses during this update... Even typing that out pained me. The new additions aren't quite up to scratch yet, so I'm going to do some backtracking.
Wayward Cave lies unexplored, along with Lost Tower and my Ravaged Path catch. This feels like the perfect time to take my foot off the pedal a little, and reset. I'll summarise my findings... Next Time! Crasher Wake! New Teammates! Plot and Side Quests and more!

I'm sorry this update was overflowing with tragedy. I feel like I've limped my way to the end here, and only hope you guys aren't disappointed. Sharing my run has really driven me thus far and that won't change going forward.

Wow. This... sure was an update. I'm actually ahead in gameplay once again after a rather lazy weekend, so expect the next update soon i think we need it. Once more I'm going to say how appreciated the feedback is. Let's just say I may have given the run another attempt were it not for me being so attached to this one, so thank you for that. Until next time!

Badges: 4

Deaths: 5

Team: Next Time!

Last edited:

Tailsimp

🎇Contributor
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Ouuuuuuuuuch. Man when it rains it pours in Nuzlockes. I cant blame you for having no victory fanfare in you by the end; this was such a brutal stretch of gameplay. You lost some of the OG mom, and some incredibly powerful ones too. My heart is especially breaking for Kenya. 😭 An OG and a strong contender to have made it to the end. (Shout out to Flareon who ill mourn if only cause Eevee and its evolutions are my favs ;;u;; )

Try not to beat yourself up though! I know its hard not to, but hindsight really is 20/20. I can't blame you for wanting to really bond with a Pokemon stage and not evolve right away; and honestly I never remember rival placements unless its in my favorite, most played game. Mistakes like these are hard, but they happen! All we can do is our best to pick up the pieces and do better going forward! I'm personally really excited to see our new teammates! Ive really liked a lot of your pairings so far (your logic behind girafarig/Flareon combo was cool, even if it didn't work out) so I'm looking forward to see the matches you come up with next time!

(On a sidenote ...boy oh boy do I wish I had known that double battle was a known killer before we streamed yesterday..... .__. )

localhoney

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 17, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Wow, I thought the loss of 2 of the OG Six would be the end. Then Austria and then my favorite member of the squad. An unfortunate time to lose Kenya w Wake looming on the horizon. Definitely take some time to regroup and I hope to see some new dope members making their way into the run and my heart. I'm really hoping for Gligar or Aipom but idk how good of a pairing they'd make for Norway.

Good luck!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)