• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Eight of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode bids adieu to another story and welcomes in a new one. Protagonists also star in our discussion segment!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Comic Kanto Teen Mon [COMPLETED] Shiro's Trial: a Nuzlocke Adventure in Kanto

Thread Description
final update - July 19, 2020

ShiroInu

Unreliable Artist
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
she/her, they/them
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic

Welcome to the first in what will hopefully be a long series of nuzlockes through each region, featuring my main character Shiro. Updates are infrequent (damn ADHD), but the quality is always top notch.

THE RULES:
1.: If a Pokemon faints, they are considered dead. Release them.
2.: Only the first encounter in each area can be caught. Run out of Pokeballs/accidentally run/it flees, tough luck. ALSO: Dupes clause is for losers.
- 2.a.: Gift Pokemon do not count as encounters and therefore can be accepted freely.
- 2.b.: Shinies are fair game.
- 2.c.: In-game trades are permitted provided that I catch the requested pokemon as a first encounter.

If you've got questions for Shiro and the team, she has an Ask blog on Tumblr! Click here to ask!

THE COMIC
Prologue: A Dream of Things to Come
Part 1a|1b: Beginnings
Part 2: Go Fetch
Part 3: Hidden Beauty
Part 4: Candle in the Wind
Part 5: Rock n' Roll
Part 6: Weirdos
Part 7a|7b: The Merchant
Part 8: Rocket Rage
Part 9: Cheese Please
Part 10: Nugget Bridge
Part 11: Pokemaniac Bill
Part 12a|12b: Swimming, Swimming
Part 13: Stolen Family
Part 14: The Return
Part 15: I'm on a Boat
Part 16: Grounded
Part 17: Downtime
Part 18: Don't Blink
Part 19a|19b: Voices
Part 20a|20b: Grassmaster
Part 21a|21b: Brains Over Brawn
Part 22: Carry On Wayward Son
Part 23a|23b: The Scientist
Part 24a|24b: Boss Rocket
Part 25: Kung-fu Fighting
Part 26: All Downhill from Here
Part 27: Future Sight
Part 28: Team Meeting
Part 29a|29b: Heart and Soul
Part 30a|30b|30c: Psychological Warfare
Part 31: Sympathy for the Devil
Part 32: High Tide
Part 33a|33b: Nothing But the Truth
Part 34a|34b|34c: Homecoming
Part 35: Don't fear the Reaper
Part 36a|36b: Inner Beauty
Part 37a|b|c: The Edge of Glory
Part 38: Calling in a Favor
Part 39: Rock and Rolled
Part 40: A Little Help
Part 41: Tainted Love
Part 42: Insurrection
Part 43: Bittersweet Symphony

THE ART
Shiro Character Sheet [2012]
Mega Pamela
What If, part 1
Pamela Reference
Neptune Reference
Kate Reference
Pebble Reference
Lucky Reference
ZYNX Reference
[Original post made December 19, 2010]​

Last edited:

Kadew

*bird sounds*
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Doesn't actually like birds all that much.
Oh dang, a totally new comic to read, I'm gonna get on that right away! Keeping track of my thoughts as I read, for your enjoyment:

Kanto run with bulbasaur, the most correct starter to choose! I like how you've held back from crapping all over Professor Oak, and also kept Blue from being a complete jerkwad. These are narrative decisions I approve of wholeheartedly. Also your art is cute, even in the very beginning it is clean and clear and bright and expressive. The design of your protagonist in particular I'm fond of, the glasses and braid are really cute and cozy.

Oof, carrying bulbasaur on the back has got to be heavy. Shiro will get buff real fast hiking around with this weight!

Powerful Pidgey for that first rival battle, nearly taking out that charmander though, that emphasis on the dwindling tail flame... hopefully this doesn't drive too deep a wedge. This pidgey though, she's quite vicious. So many missed out captures on this poor team.

You got the magikarp! And that's quite the luck, getting a streak of all female pokemon so far. And hmmm, the magikarp merchant appears to have been posessed? His eyes were purple until he blinked away and became confused, and then those purple thought bubble dialogs below... I wonder if mewtwo is pulling strings in this narrative. That's my bet, for now.

Oh good, the cerulean rival battle smoothed out the hard feelings instead of making them worse.

Double weedle! Oh shoot she just punched the crap outta Bill. Whoops. Guess he's just a gijinka now.

And there's the first death. Impressive you got that far without losing anyone, but diglett are fragile and raticate are jerks. Interesting that Alice came back after all that hostility, maybe she grew a bit attached despite herself. Cute anklet she's got.

Ss anne! I like the take you took on it, a boring conference for researchers these kids got into without realizing it wasn't a fun cruise. Poor kadabra, surrendering with a flag on a spoon is a funny touch. And wooooow Neptune is BIG, even by gyarados standards!

Poor sandshrew, did great but can't handle it. Interesting that your trainer can understand pokemon and this is a rare ability in this world, but it hasn't really come up beyond a couple of jabs from Blue. I wonder if this unique ability of hers will come into play more significantly later. At least sandshrew leaving the team gives us a view of all the boxed mons, it's always nice to see them exist in some degree more than a file in a computer that no one remembers to open.

Crobat! I love crobat, it's nice to see it even if technically the game won't let you have one for the main story. Your design is fun, giving Kate a proper torso and legs with hip-wings instead of just being an orb.

So that's how you get into the rocket hideout, instead of just gambling and finding a poster, a call there from a distressed abra. Here's hoping the abra makes it, they are rather fragile, but very awesome if they don't bite it.

Hmmmm, that mysterious pink child dragging Shiro through the festival, and then disappearing just in time for another mysterious pink stranger to give her a winning lottery... that's gotta be mew. I wonder what they're trying to lead Shiro into by giving her the eevee. Are they involved in whatever mewtwo is involved with in those shady foreshadowings? Was it mew and mewtwo talking in that one back and forth ages ago? Mysteries on mysteries.

Blue shows up again! I like your explanation of where his raticate goes between the events of the ss anne and lavender town. It really fits in with the more casual light tone of your story to have it just be traded away rather than brutally executed by a friend. And good explanation of how he got an exeggcute in a part of the game where you don't have access to those yet! Also I like him coming around to trying to nickname his pokemon, and how he played a role in lavender tower's ghost thing in general rather than just ollying out. It might be my own bias, but I'm a big fan of rival characters being more than just rude obstacles that show up and harass and leave. I like teamfriendliness!

Purple eyes mcmystery is back! And is being very rude! At least Lucky lived up to his name, poor Alice. :( And I was right, mew and mewtwo, messing with our poor protagonist! They seem to be working to some greater end together, but it's not exactly the gentle path. What could this greater threat be, and why drag Shiro into it?

Oh dang, a Giovanni that isn't evil, just a legitimate businessman! That's new and unexpected. Just a guy who likes to talk to his cat. So I'm guessing executive Proton is behind all the bad news? And I see those ties between Shiro and Hoenn, I'm sure those will come into play should this ambitious multi-region plan make it there. Also cool use of the fighting dojo as an extension of Team Rocket's activities, makes them almost relevant.

Oh no! Pursuit is so awful in nuzlockes, I'm very surpised that your kadabra survived! I'm really glad I did my run in gen 1 red version, none of that pursuit trickery to deal with. Shiro's poor team is really looking roughed up around now.

Oh shoot oh no, Alphonse is gonnna get exploded on by Koga's weezing, I just know it. I don't want this.
Phew. Good fake out. You really did have me scared, there.

I like your Sabrina quite a lot. She's competent but not unapproachable, and is taking the initiative with regards to this mewtwo possession business instead of letting fate play out while she just watches it spoiled. I like it a lot, and I like her talking to Giovanni, the bossman hanging out in her city. It feels really natural for them to be talking about this significant plot point, and ties things together well. I do so love it when narratives come together.

This has got to be the most civil Giovanni confrontation I've seen. Good on Shiro for talking it out, and talking it out working!

Oh gosh, Blue and Shiro are going through victory road together, my heart. I love them being good friends, growing together, him learning and taking more care with his pokemon. Bless.

Alphonse :'(

Oh dang, I'm out of next pages! This was really good, a pleasure to read through. And you're so close to the end! I'm looking forward to seeing the league and the thrilling conclusion of this mysterious purple eyed plot!

ShiroInu

Unreliable Artist
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
she/her, they/them
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
To celebrate the opening of the new forums, it's update time!

It's been a while since my last update, but since I just reposted this thread in the new forums, it looks like it has only been a few days!:v:

I was going to rush through the Elite 4 and just get to the Champion battle, but I decided to give Pebble some character development. She has been in the background most of the story, but hopefully you've picked up on the hints that Pebble was very attached to Alphonse. His death hit her really hard.

Up next will be the Elite 4 and Champion battle (probably spread out over 2-3 parts), but first I want to do character sheets for everyone so you can see their movesets. Look forward to it! And don't forget, if you have any burning questions, Shiro has an Ask Blog.

Ardomew

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Normal, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
The Violet Wizard. Passionate about art, food, and games.
It is so good to see this run again! I should really give it a second read soon.
This was a good page to build up the tension before the League. I understand Pebble's grief for Alphonse and her reaction to Shiro's reply, but now's not the time to question what could have been. It's time to move forward, and carve out our future!

I am very much looking forward to the League battles! Best of luck to you, Shiro!

Elfin Song

Conqueror of the Olivine Gym
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
she/her or he/him
I'm gonna go out of order on my comment spree because oh my god this is back. Because, like, this is one of the first runs I've ever read all the way through, and I'm so glad to see it continue, especially since we're so close to the Elite Four. :') :') :') And I could go on about how much I love this run, but I miiiiiight have done that all over your Tapa thread. The point is, rereading this run was a blast, and I'm so looking forward to that final showdown with Mewtwo, among other things. (I didn't forget the Sevii Islands sidequest, for example. 8) 8) 8) But mostly, I just kinda want to see good-ish guy!Giovanni and Shiro work together to face off against Mewtwo. I just hope that Giovanni isn't lying about wanting to put things right, you know?)

But! That's a couple updates ago. With this one, all I can say is ... poor Zynx. It's clear she's dealing with a lot of self-confidence issues, and being surrounded by an entire team that's still mourning the loss of someone whose shoes she technically has to fill can't be easy. Never mind the fact that she's not much of a battler to begin with. I'm just hoping she survives Bruno. Shiro's strategy might be heading in the right direction, but Zynx is still an ice-type and therefore still hella vulnerable to things like the Rock Tombs Bruno's so fond of. And I don't think Zynx is gonna get the same send-off Alphonse got (although to be honest, I kinda hope that if she does, at least Pebble gets over herself long enough to, you know, be decent about it).

And of course, there's also Shiro, still reeling with Alphonse's death and the implications it has towards her skill. On the other hand, it's difficult to blame her completely because Alphonse's death was inevitable—or at least from his standpoint. (And maybe it was, really, given the fact that no one could've seen that geodude.) Still, the fact that her team has her back—Pamela especially—is just ... hella sweet.

All in all, still lookin' forward to the future! Shiro's so close to the Elite Four aaaaaaaa

Kadew

*bird sounds*
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Doesn't actually like birds all that much.
Well there's no need for that, Pebble. Throwing rocks at poor Zynx. I think this is the first time I've been sympathetic for a jynx, rather than just apathetic, so good job there! She's in a tough situation, being the replacement (not replacement) for a beloved friend and teammate. Hopefully she can find a place there.

sky_

life is a trip alright
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
this ghost tries to be cool and kinda angsty, but ends up keysmashing about cute things anyway. they may project a bit too much onto their writing.
Yessssssss this is back! Omg omg I love

Back in my lurker/early teenage days I loved this run and now I finally know that Zynx is safe! Bless her, she's trying so hard - and the determination in her face with that Ice Punch was so nice to see. Pebble is behaving honestly in a very realistic way - to see her good friend replaced so soon like that would obviously take a toll on her. I hope poor Shiro finds some peace soon.

ShiroInu

Unreliable Artist
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
she/her, they/them
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Like I said I would, here are the reference sheets for the team going into the Elite 4.

Pamela's personality was based on my dachshund Coco, who unfortunately had to be put down January 3rd. She will live on in the spirit of an overweight Venusaur. Her build is inspired by bulldogs, and she is easily bribed by offering lemons as a reward.

Neptune has delusions of being the incarnation of a god. She argues a lot with Pamela, but the two are actually good friends. I realize her moveset is terrible, but this is 3rd gen and I didn't really understand physical/special stats back then.

Kate was named after Kate Kane, aka Batwoman, since I played this run in the middle of my Batman phase. She hasn't gotten a lot of focus in the story, but it's hard to give everyone time to shine when you have so many characters.

Pebble was very attached to Alphonse, and since his death she has turned her bitterness towards ZYNX. She also blames Shiro for Alphonse's death.

Lucky has mostly recovered from taking a self-destruct to the face in the rocket Game Corner, but he's still a little unhinged from it - think of Nuka from Lion King 2: Simba's Pride. He's very dog-like, and will follow Shiro around.

ZYNX was raised by her former trainer Donte to compete in Beauty contests. After he retired, he used her as a household helper, although she always wanted to do something more. So, Donte put up an add, looking to trade for another pokemon who could help him around the house. Shiro brought over Simon the Poliwhirl, and the rest is history. ZYNX is actually older than she looks, but she won't say how old she really is.

The next couple pages will be the Elite 4 and Champion battle, but while I'm working on that, I've got a little bit of a contest.

CONTEST!!
I'd like you guys to design Shiro's Sevii Islands outfit. My last design contest was a great success (Sawblader came up with Shiro's outfit with the leather jacket and cargo shorts). Designs don't have to be too fancy, but it should be something comfortable to wear around the islands. If you're not an artist, no worries - you can submit a description of the outfit, just try to be detailed. The contest will be open until I finish the Champion update, so you've got a while to do it. Good luck!!

PurpleEyedGuma

21st Century Schizoid Mon
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 9, 2019
Pronouns
They / Them
Sorry about your dachsund. About the contest: might I suggest Shiro wear a Hawaiian shirt for the islands?

Ardomew

Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Normal, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
You've built a very nice team for the final battles! Best of luck to you with the future updates!

ShiroInu

Unreliable Artist
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
she/her, they/them
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
If I had been able to stick with my intention of doing 1 page a week, I would have finished this comic in less than 2 years. BUT, since I can't force myself to focus on things (and life gets in the way sometimes), I'm now on my 10th year of working on this comic. We are in the home stretch now, only about 10 more pages to go - and I'm going to guarantee that it will be finished before the 10 year anniversary.

To help that along, have another update.
The Elite 4 was super easy. Lorelei, Bruno and Agatha were all one-hit KOs due to type advantage. Lance gave me a little trouble - his Aerodactyl knocked Neptune down to 11 hp before her second Surf hit. That was a close one.
Blue is the main feature - we'll get to him next time.

Also I'd like to remind everyone that I'm holding a contest! I'd like some help designing Shiro's outfit for the Sevii Islands (yes, I will be covering the postgame). Something outdoorsy but cool, good for island travel. The winner will get a cameo in the comic. Entries can be in the form of a drawing or a description, just remember to be as detailed as you can. The contest will be open until I post part 37 c (which should be before the end of February).

sky_

life is a trip alright
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
this ghost tries to be cool and kinda angsty, but ends up keysmashing about cute things anyway. they may project a bit too much onto their writing.
aaaaa it's E4 time get hyped

it's nice to see that Blue and Shiro are so friendly with each-other, and Blue blushing was legit adorable xD there are some really nice touches that I like here, such as the really cool Lapras drawing with the white outlines and the fact that Blue got this really nice mantle to wear. I'm also very pleased to see that Zynx has been so helpful and not died (yet...) as her line can be pretty fragile. Hopefully the Champion battle will go well too xD

Elfin Song

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
she/her or he/him
Goddddd, I still love your Blue. He's so sweet and friendly, even when he knows he's the only thing standing between Shiro and championhood. (That whole "just keeping it warm for you" bit? Excellent.) I know I've said this before, but I will never get tired of how refreshing it is to read a run where everyone is just. Super chill. It really makes the whole of pokémon training feel like the fun sport it really should be.

That said aaaaaaaaaaaaah, our girl is almost champion. I admit I didn't expect the E4 challenge to go so quickly, but on the other hand, that makes sense because of course the climactic battle between the champion and the protag should take center stage. Super hype for the next part!

Also, aaaaaaaaah, Zynx is an excellent girl. Here's hoping Pebble and Zynx can sort of chill at some point (re, Pebble's profile) because if Zynx has proven herself by doing anything, it was by carrying the team through the gauntlet.

As for the contest, ooh. Haven't got a design in mind yet, but maybe I'll edit this comment before the next page is out! Good luck to everyone else~

ShiroInu

Unreliable Artist
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
she/her, they/them
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
@io_ Thanks! When I started the comic, a lot of other writers were going for the "jerk rival" approach with Blue/Gary, so I decided mine would be friendlier, and eventually that evolved into him being Shiro's slow-burn love interest :P

@Minty Electronica The Elite 4 battle in my notes was mostly "X OHKO with [overpowered move]" so I didn't feel the need to dwell on it. You're right - the battle with Blue is the main feature.

While I'm working on the next update, how about a Q&A? I haven't done one in a while. I'll post it after the Champion battle is over. You can ask questions of me, Shiro, Blue, or any of Shiro's pokemon living or dead (you can even ask Mewtwo questions if you want, but no guarantee you'll get a clear answer out of him).

Velink

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 27, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Q&A? sure thing!
I have got a few
- Shiro : soon to be champion, what was your greatest sub-trial?
-Zynx : Do you miss the contests?
What did you look like in your peak beauty?
-Blue, Champion, how many battle have you done as a champion before facing Shiro? are they hard?

Ardomew

Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Normal, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
This champion fight is gonna be sick!

@Shiro's team: What has been your favourite moments of this adventure?

Riboo

Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 24, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
Electric
Alright just binged this comic :V And I gotta say

It's really interesting how you handled Team Rocket so far, how Giovanni is more of a down to earth guy that, through his own volition (at least as we're led to believe by his word atm) he's removed himself from Team Rocket in order to try to right his wrongs, going through the trouble of developing the Master Ball in order to capture Mewtwo. Thoooough he could still be pulling a fast one, and that's just another thing that's interesting about this version of him, how he's charismatic enough that you could see him in the role of Team Rocket's leader, how instead of just overtaking Silph by force, that he did it by (supposedly) legit means, which makes his station as a GYM leader a bit more easy to believe, something which always struck me as odd in the OG games how someone could be a gang leader yet still hold that title without SOMEONE knowing what's up, especially after his rather public take over in Saffron.

Also like how throughout the run you see the Pokemon through their challenges retaining the marks of their previous battles from the burns to the scars, then the fact that when one of them unfortunately parishes that Shiro holds onto pieces of them in order to hold onto their memories and remind her of the losses she's had through her journey.

Also like that Green, though not hugely present in the comic, did take what Shiro had to say about how he should treat his team to heart when he could have just as easily remained bitter and angry toward her, so its def a refreshing depiction of him, especially so that you didn't just go down the Raticate was killed avenue and simply poised it as a trade that happened.

And now that we're at the Champion battle I cannot WAIT to see the conclusion with Mewtwo and just what the heck their deal is in this run! I hope you're able to keep motivation, as I saw in chat that you were having a difficult time with it, so I really hope that you can find it in you to finish this run! You're so close!

ShiroInu

Unreliable Artist
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
she/her, they/them
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Update time!
Sorry for the delay, but you know, there's a pandemic on.

57 levels.
Neptune was with me for 57 levels.
That's more than any pokemon in any nuzlocke I've ever done.

Her death was partially due to the fact that I forgot about Gyarados' abysmal sp.atk stat, and partially because I ran out of potions.

So now we've got a sudden appearance from Mewtwo . . . things seem to be heading towards a confrontation . . . stay tuned to see the dramatic resolution!

Thanks for the comments! I'm going to put the Q&A on hold until the end of the comic - I will be covering the postgame Sevii Islands story, so look forwards to that.

Last edited:

Picket Furret

Antisocial Lurker
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Normal
Oof, lost your Gyarados in the championship? that sucks

Riboo

Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 24, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
Electric
Aw snap, that's gotta be one of the roughest deaths, especially at this point in the game :l

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)