• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Seven of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode concludes one reading and premiers another. Also, we brought back several guests for an extra long discussion segment!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

[COMPLETE]Mon Art Online: Let's Play Digimon World 2003[COMPLETE]

Master Bryss

zd zd
Hacker
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Poison, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Their body is made of an intricate and interconnected weave of their own puns.
Good morning, internet, I'm Master Bryss. Since I'm done recording-wise with the Hack-A-Thon. I'm due another OA.

A long one.

Digimon World 3, or 2003, is the third entry in the Digimon World series. We denizens of the PAL region know it as 2003 because we never actually got Digimon World 2 and presumably nobody wanted to draw attention to that. Like all the other entries in the series, it has its own gameplay mechanics, universe, story and all that gubbins. Most of the Digimon that appear in this game come from the first three seasons of the anime (i.e. up to Tamers), as well as few originalmons that only appear in this game and some 'sneak-peek' Season 4 Digimon.

There are actually a few differences between 3 and 2003, most notably that 2003 has an actual postgame and that a certain item isn't totally broken, a bridge we shall cross when we come to it.

This also happens to be my eight-year-old self's favourite game ever, and still a fond favourite despite some... issues, hence why anyone who's followed me might have heard me reference it somewhere or other. When I fight a boss with the sound off, this game's boss theme is what I hear. It's just that embedded in my brain.

The format of this one will be as standard LP as you can possibly get. So basic, it hurts. Expect griping. Especially about that one mechanic.

And now that we've established all that, let's set off!
Before we go any further, I highly recommend watching the highly badass intro movie. It has absolutely nothing to do with the plot of this game aside from the fact that all of these Digimon appear in it in some capacity.

Done that? Right, let's shift the action to...

Oh, that's not very exciting. All the locations in this game have these intro thingies. Loading and such.

Meet Junior, our incredibly impatient hero with a heart of gold. He and his pink hair will serve as this game's protagonist.

He has friendship issues, just like every other Digimon protagonist.

*news alert*

International Police, S.A.P. have located the European HQ of the crime group A.o.A. Together with the army, they raided their headquarters at midnight last night... And have arrested the leaders of the A.o.A. inside the compound. Officials believe these arrests will connect recent international terrorism to the A.o.A.

Do we get that these people are this game's villainous team yet? Also, in all my years of having this game, I have never actually figured out what either of those acronyms actually stand for (it's never explained), or why there is a lower case O in the latter one. For the purposes of this playthrough, we will assume they stand for Sugar Addicted Policefolk and Aardvarks of Anarchy.

Junior is clearly not a an expert on most incarnations of this franchise, is he? Oh, and it's never quite established if the animes are a thing here or anything.

At this point, we are interrupted by the secondary characters.

Junior: And why is Ivy here in the first place? You always say that Digimon is for kids!

Ivy: Hey, I'm interested in Digimon Online, OK? ...And I never said that I hated Digimon!

Junior: "Go on then, square go!"

Ivy: "Ye startin', mate? Ye startin?"

Actual age of these characters: No clue. I'd like to say no older than 12.

No, have a fistfight! It can be the tutorial or something!

Unfortunately for my inner pugilist, Junior and Ivy set aside their differences to cross a street.

I did say EVERY place had these. In future, I think I'll superimpose them into the first screens of new locations.

By this point you should have a good indication of this game's graphical style. It's all fancy-schmancy-looking backgrounds with sprite characters.

Oh, and there are emoticons, of course.

Teddy: It digitises our ideas and thoughts and sends them to the net. I wonder how it works? I want to see what makes it tick.

Junior: Hey, what are you two doing there? Come on, let's set up an account and login to the Digital World!

Being as this is the Digimon universe, groundbreaking technology such as this is the exclusively patented domain of the manufacturers of children's video games. Meh, at least forcing you to come to this building to play the game gets you out of the house. Also, Digital World? Did said manufacturers section off a portion of the actual Digital World for this game?

...This is the first time I'm actually thinking about this, and my knowledge tells me the answer to that question is going to get reeeeally cloudy once certain plot elements come into play.

I don't know what MAGAMI stands for either. It might just be a shouted company name.

Account Clerk: This service is for those travelling into the Digital World. Is this your first time playing Digimon Online? Before we set up your account...

This is plural, by the way. We get three of the blighters.

Why are you so shocked by the idea that, in order to enter a Digimon game, one must have partner Digimon?

I've omitted her telling you what's in each pack, I'll explain it later.

What is that emote? Tangled fishing line?

"Yeah, it's not hard, Junior. You don't need to poll the internet or anything."

Spoilers, Ivy!

...Bad ones?

"I even like the one that's literally just a yellow turd with teeth! I'm just that unchoosy!"

I refer you to the yellow turd. Wouldn't surprise me if Baro had a hand.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty set on polling the internet now.

Weird how the impatient one is the one who's taking so long now.

"No! Musn't... let... childhood rival... play cool thing first."

Oh come on! Even I'm frustrated now!

And with that...

The future has no screens!

We shall begin with the simple stuff. Amazingly, this online game doesn't have ordinary names like Steve taken yet. That, or it actually lets multiple people have the same name. Either way, we're now a vague approximation of me.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, brings us to the big issue at hand. Starter choice.

There are three 'packs' to choose from, the Balanced Pack, Powerful Pack and Maniac Pack. Each has a different set of three Digimon. We later get the opportunity to recruit the partners we don't pick up here, so there's no losing out in the long run. What I'll do is I'll explain what it is that each Digimon is set up to do when you first get it and if you follow its standard evolution tree. This game's training mechanics work in such a way that you can get any Digimon to do any role, really, but their starting stats and initial digivolutions indicate a certain style.

Balanced Pack. Ignore the bit about team work, battles are one-on-one. This pack contains:

Kotemon: A cool guy with a sword. He's a physical attacker with access to some elemental attacks early on, namely fire and ice, who can also learn a fair few supporting techniques. He vaguely corresponds to a Mystic Knight, with a bit of Paladin thrown in for good measure.

Renamon: The furry goddess herself, Renamon is a magical attacker, mostly with thunder and ice elements, the former of which makes it really easy to grind her once you get the fishing rod. She also gets a supporter-type evolution fairly early. She vaguely corresponds to Wizard, but she's not as squishy as Patamon is.

Patamon: A squishy squishy, but lookit him, he so cute. Unfortunately, the Angemon line isn't nearly as broken here as in the anime. But he is the quickest to learn a healing technique. Most of his early digivolutions won't have much oomph in combat, though. He is pretty much Cleric through and through. Also, it's a pain in the arse to recruit him if you don't pick him due to the haxy nature of the required boss battle.

Powerful Pack, the only pack without a Cleric. This pack contains:

Monmon: A monkey with a catapult. His attacks are ranged, but still work off of Strength, so it's more an aesthetic deal. Despite this, he still vaguely corresponds to Ranger, as he learns attacks that are good against certain species (like birds or fish) kinda like the preferred enemy thing some of them get. Also, none of his evolutions look anything like each other. They just get bigger guns. He is my favourite partner Digimon for this reason.

Agumon: THE Digimon, partner of the original main main protagonist. Likes to burn things, but as he vaguely corresponds to Fighter, his magic isn't the best. He is also the easiest and quickest partner to recruit if you don't pick him now. Unique in that his Blast Digivolutions (basically a form of Limit Break that forcibly digivolves you) turn him into the dark counterparts of his next evolution instead of his actual next evolution.

Renamon: Wizard. See above.

Maniac Pack. There is no obedience mechanic, so I have no idea what the game is talking about here. This pack contains:

Kumamon: A bear who punches things. Unique in that he is the only partner to start out WITHOUT sufficient MP to actually use his signature move. He vaguely corresponds to Monk in that you're pretty much relying on your basic melee attack with him, since MP is sparse.

Guilmon: Please don't ask me how a 'mon created by a small child's drawing managed to replicate, but he did. 'Odd' in this case means 'stat up moves, a steal attack and a counter stance.' The second one, and his higher Agility, should give away that he vaguely corresponds to Rogue. He is the second-easiest partner to obtain later if you don't pick him.

Patamon: Cleric. See above above.

Them's the options. If there's any you'd like me to go for, go ahead. To access the postgame, I need to train at least five Digimon to a high level anyway. See you next time with the results!

E

EscapeToTheSea

I VOTE PATAMON~

I've never actually played any of the Digimon games, so this will be very fun to watch. :3

Mattman324

Blame this on the misfortunes of your birth.
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
YUUSHA
Pokémon Type
Electric, Steel
Pokédex Entry
KITA KITA KITA
Never, ever try to compare one Digimon universe to another. They're all really different and even when vague ties bind them that makes it murkier (see also: World 1 as compared to World 2 or DS, all of which are SUPPOSEDLY in the same universe but differences between all three make it inconsolable)

Similarly, know that the animes do not play off the lore - Guilmon existed long before Takato drew him, and more importantly his main two Ultimate/Megas did as well (Megidramon and Duke/Gallantmon)

That said, bears. Maybe you can max his Bluff and make everyone think he's a person.
Also, Sukamon is mainly noted for turning into Etamon, who's fucking awesome, and has a friend in Damemon who is a fucking ninja (mind, Xros Wars had ninja Etamon). Don't diss the poop.
EDIT: Also, bad as load times/screens that pop up when you go to a new area may be, they aren't as bad as World 4. Take pride that you aren't playing THAT.

Jimcloud

Administrator
Administrator
🌱Featurer
🎇Contributor
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Pronouns
they/he/she
Patamon is in two of them, Escape! That said, I'll vote for the Balanced Pack.

I am like 90% sure I have played this game before, but I never got all that far in it. I had some trouble figuring out what to do. I was young, what can I say?

D

Deneb

Welp, time to use my limited knowledge of Digimon to watch this!

My vote goes to the Powerful Pack. There are reasons behind this:

Agumon's literally the Pikachu of Digimon, except a yellow dinosaur.
Monmon sounds hilarious. That is all.
Renamon. Really doesn't need explaining. *shudder*

Master Bryss

zd zd
Hacker
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Poison, Steel
Pokédex Entry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
OK, that's one vote for Balanced, one for Powerful, one implied for Maniac (or Kumamon at any rate) and one for Patamon. Since two packs have Patamon, I flipped a coin.
EscapeToTheSea: I certainly hope it will be more fun to play than some recent endeavours!

Mattman324: Aah, fair enough. I'm not especially familiar with the franchise outside of the anime, and even then my knowledge stops at Tamers (but resumes at Savers/Data Squad since I watched that and thought it wasn't too bad). Funnily enough, Sukamon was my favourite character to play as in Battle Spirit because he evolved into Etemon, who's pretty much made of awesome. I just don't care for gonk design as much.

Jimcloud: It does do that sometimes. The first time I played it I actually had trouble getting my partner Digimon! Then again, I was eight.

-Pixel-: Don't worry, I'll explain it in roughly the same fashion I did Dark Violet, except with more knowing.

OK, so like I said, I flipped a coin, and ended up with the Maniac Pack. OK, I didn't actually flip a coin. Truth is, I nearly always end up using the Balanced Pack when I play this and wanted to shake it up. Also, the Maniac Pack is the first Pack I picked when I first played. I lost a lot because I was an idiot, and blamed this on Kumamon. Hopefully thing time he'll have more luck.

Let's go adventure!

Good ol' childhood impatience.

Yeah, I know I said I was going to superimpose those. Truth is, it looked a bit naff, so I didn't.

"I'm sure happy I don't have to deal with real-world problems like waiting in line for a capsule or anything!"

For the record, it's NOT pronounced like Bryce. It's pronounced like Briss.

"I am shocked to find that you have actually paid to do this!"

"In the event of fire, you will be well done."

Wait, ALL the capsules say 3 on them? How impractical is... wait, yeah, this is DMW3, of course they all say 3.

In this game, angry jumping is accomplished by flicking your legs forward as you jump. For the record, this looks incredibly stupid and anyone who tries to make me do it when I revive Bryssquest will be shot.

Pahaha, like he can actually hear them. I'm sure those capsules have a capacity of one anyway. Considering how many players there are, that's a lot of space MAGAMI needs to actually make this a game accessible to everyone. And how exactly do they make their money back?

Anyway, we are then fired into the Digital World via awesome cutscene I can't seem to find a standalone video link for. Suffice to say it involves a strangely large amount of divergent routes and trying to go places you're not supposed to go for some reason.

Anyway, we're now in the Matrix.

You can tell we're in the Matrix because there's a... wait, you can't see it very well here. I'll wait.

A simple task that flummoxed me as a child.

Theeere we go. You can tell we're in the Matrix because we now have a funny-looking satellite thing over our heads. For the sake of this LP, we shall assume that this floaty thing represents me making Junior actually competent. Or not, as the case may be.

Case in point: Junior somehow forgetting for a moment what a Digimon is.

"What's an airport, anyway?"

At this point we start to be able to control ourselves. We're going to skip most NPC dialogue as it's not very important.

This is the lady we want to talk to. However, this is the end of her dialogue string. To receive your partner Digimon, you have to talk to her a second time.

Considering we can't leave this lobby until we do, I'd better say Yes here.

It's never established if these are in-game NPCs or digitised human staff. I assume the latter.

These are actual Digimon, by the way, not game pieces.

Ah, here come the secondaries again.

"I am shocked that I have been shocked at enough unshocking things to constitute a running gag by now!"

You can tell he's fast because while in-game, Junior never actually walks except in scripted movement. Otherwise, he always runs.

Oh, and Ivy changed her name like we did for arbitrary reasons.

Kail (n): A kind of headless cabbage, alt spelling of kale.

So Bear and Cabbage, then. Got it.

At this point we are interrupted by the arrival of our partners via teleportation.

These, by the way, are the sole lines of dialogue your partners will ever get.

Hope you're happy.

Yeah, woohoo, team spirit, etc!

An excellent idea. This way, you can show up when the plot dictates that it is convenient.

And with that, we exit into...

Beginnerland!

Aww naw, our eyes met! Now we have to battle. Most Tamers in this game are actually optional, mind.

"Excellent. I prey on the weak."

You mean rrrrrrrurrrrus?

And now, battle.

Against, funnily enough, the first ever enemy Digimon faced in Adventure, Kuwagamon.

This is a straight-up one-on-one turn-based hyphen-prone type scenario. The health of our active partner is on the right, who also gets a mugshot to show off them pretty good models. We have six options in battle:

Fight: Use a basic attack.
Tech: Use a technique from your list of known techs. All techs cost MP.

However, as I mentioned earlier, Kumamon isn't greatly endowed in this area. Literally every Digimon except him can finish this fight in one blow with their technique.

DV: Digivolve, which I'm sure they had the room to put there, into one of your three digivolve slots or back to your Rookie form if you're really weird.

Tag: Switch to any of your partners in any of their digivolved forms. This surprising freedom of switch kinda makes the DV option a bit underused.
Item: Use an item, hurr durr.
Run: Run away. This is generally harder than in Pokemon, unless you're really fast.

For now, we literally just punch things.

This of course comes with an attack animation. Most of them involve going up to the enemy and socking them one, but bigger Digimon might just use shock waves instead.

This inflicts damage and changes the square status thingy to 'taking damage.' It goes red if you enter red life, and brown if you get a status condition.

We are then attacked for much less damage. Weird difference between NTSC and PAL: in NTSC both health bars move the same way, as opposed to both towards the centre. I have no idea why this is.

One more attack finishes it for us and triggers the victory/enter battle animation.

For our efforts, we gain a ludicrously low amount of experience and some BIT, the currency of this game. As a general rule of thumb, enemies give out roughly a 1:2 ratio of experience to BIT.

That and his Kuwagamon is much weaker than the wild ones, something that can really sucker a first-time player.

Of bloody course it is.

Thankfully, this is not a forced tutorial.

But it does help.

As does this.

Have I mentioned that no classic PS1 RPG save Final Fantasy 7 is complete without a card game?

We are then warped to the Digimon Lab, which is to the right of the Main Lobby. Here we can learn not an awful lot.

For example, behold these hints:

These only give you a fraction of what you need to unlock every evolution for everyone.

Generally each Digimon has a minimum of six stats that need to get to a certain figure to be able to unlock all evolutions. Each evolution is available to all the partners, they all have different ways to get them, though.

I'll explain stats next time, though.

This man, and Pixiemon in later cities, serve as your PC, letting you switch partners out, change active digivolutions (a term I will alternate with evolutions because I can and because the latter takes less time to type) and load techniques. I'll explain that last term when we get to it.

This is the Inn. All Inns are run by Gatomon (hint: not the robot), and charge you per partner. Asuka's Inn charges a mere 8 BIT per partner. Guardromon (hint: not the cat) is the save point of this game. He saves your game by holding a ball of light above his head and talking in all caps.

This is the Shop for this town. Most towns have a Wizardmon (the one with the hat), who sells items, and a Gargomon (the green-headed one), who sells equippable weapons and armour. About half of all towns have a Gomamon (the one that's left), who sells equippable accessories.

Of course, before I buy anything, I'm probably going to want to get some more money. Which means going out to train. Next time, we go to the Yellow Cruiser and then go beat up some tapirs. I'm serious about that last one.

A

Appleture Science

Hey, I stopped being a lazy derp for once! It's a miracle!

>looks at Junior
>reads his name as Juniper and thinks he's a girl for a split-second
AARDVARKS OF ANARCHY IS THE BEST NAME.
Hmm, the style reminds me of MMBN a little. Not that I've played it, I just read LPs. Quite a bit back. So I might be misremembering...yup, still reminding me of Mega Man. (this is a good thing!)

BAARRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOO /obligatory
Darnit, I missed the poll. Ah well, you got the cute ones anyway. From what I saw.
>putting the Fighter and the Black Mage in the same pack
>stabbing ensues

Wait, Guilmon looks like a Chocobo with shades.
well, it's not like I don't get shot anyway I'm JOKING I'M JOKING I WON'T MAKE YOU DO THAT
That floaty thing looks like something from EarthBound. But I don't remember what.
I...may have read that as Beer and Cabbage. How do I read things so badly?

Yes, I think they would have had room.
Odd. But do they move the same way as Pokemon's HP bars or the opposite way?
...Navi? Like the ones in Mega Man? (or like TLoZ? They can't be THAT annoying...)
And Gatomon reminds me of Kyubey. Huh.

but are they as cute as us ^-^
Shh, Bigtapir. they're not

Mattman324

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
YUUSHA
Pokémon Type
Electric, Steel
Pokédex Entry
KITA KITA KITA
Hey Bryss, if it's ok with you I'm going to be keeping tabs on all the Digimon you get, and basic history of them and such.
KUMAMON: Is a Child (Rookie in English dubs) known by Bearmon in literally every other continuity, because Kumamon is the Human Spirit of Ice. As with every Digimon from before the Xros Wars era, he has a wide range of evos, most commonly into Grysmon/Grizzlymon. Data type.

He's made two appearances in the animes. One was in a Frontier movie that was about Beast types fighting Human types (a distinction important to Frontier's mythology). He was friends with the Human type Kotemon, and when Kotemon bit it near the end he accidentally woke up AncientGreymon and AncientGarurumon who basically bitchslapped both armies and the mon manipulating them. The other time was in Xros Wars (fuck everything related to its dub) where Bagra was oppressing them (read: enslaving them in mines inside a fucking active volcano) in the Volcano Zone and one snuck out and helped convince Dorulumon to actually join Xros Heart.

GUILMON: Same level. He's well known for the Growlmon line, but other lines of course exist for him (he's Tyrannomon's Child about half the time now). Virus type.

He was Takato (main protag's) partner in Tamers, and was fucking awesome - through this he cameos I nearly Xros Wars. Speaking of Xros Wars, he's one of the Digimemories in that.

PATAMON: also same level. His main line is with Angemon, but he's also one of 6 Digimon with the ability to use the 10 Armors (all but Destiny). Surprisingly, he's a Data type.

Patamon's been around the block a lot. He was Takeru/TK's partner in Adventure and Adventure 02, a degenerated demigod in Frontier (that fucking belt!), a Digimemory and a Digimon Of The Week in Xros Wars (the latter in TYHLTT, which was shit), and the starter in World 2 if you were on the Data team (his first evo was Ninja/Igamon, to keep him Data).

V

Vince

"I was too lazy, so I'm still Teddy!"

I know that feeling, Teddy. :V

P

pluslefan

Digimon huh? This looks interesting and I know a fair bit of digimon from Dawk and Dusk for the DS. I'll pretty much just compare them to myself and maybe say something if it's interesting enough.

Good luck and have fuuun~!

S

Spook's Law

I think I remember having one of these games... You had to pick a pack of three digimon, but the graphics weren't as good. It might have been a different game in the series. I could never get past the starting battle though. I was young. In any case, good luck.

E

EscapeToTheSea

Deeeeeeeeeeerp, I didn't realize you got all 3 in the pack. I thought you had to pick one from one pack.

Huh. Those models are really nice. Wow.

B

Backstroke of the West

Hey, could you do that angry jump in the next Bryss*shot*

Master Bryss

zd zd
Hacker
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Poison, Steel
Pokédex Entry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Time to explain more things.
-Pixel-: It is a truth universally acknowledged that every single part of the headcanon has its origins in my childhood whether I realise it or not.

Perfect Apple: Not really. One's a benevolent innkeeper who turns into an angel woman, the other's a spoilers.

Mattman324: No problem here. Patamon being Data is odd considering what he turns into.

Vince: You can't even be bothered being anything but plain ol' Vince now.

pluslefan: I will. Mostly. Thankfully I have very little to gripe about in this first section.

Alack: World 2 had packs of 3 too as I recall. World 1 was more of a pet-raising game.

quiggles: I don't remember there being a Digimon named that...

EscapeToTheSea: Well, a 'pack' would imply more than just one Digimon. Why would there be repeats if that was the case? Derpalicious.

Ganon's Error: *shoots you again just to make sure*

Going down the ladder in the Inn and taking the south exit gets us into an underground path. If I go right here, I'll get into the sewers and find a treasure chest with some money in it. However, I forgot to get this. Next time.

Also, here's the Asuka City music.

The other way leads to a different area of the city which contains two important things. One is El Dorado, which we can't get into until we have fancier equipment. The other is this place, the Yellow Cruiser. It shares music with some other areas. The thing with the scuba tank is Divermon, who appear in every city and let you buy individual cards for the card battle game or open boosters. Yes, your character is physically incapable of opening a pack of cards without help. Weep.

As Genji said, Divermon will give us free stuff.

Oh, and Junior's still an idiot. A Folder Bag contains three Folders. A Folder is a set of 40 cards, thus enabling you to have three 40-card decks at a time. You can have a maximum of four of any card in the Folder.

"I am legitimately shocked at your total idiocy!"

You're telling me, this is why I'm the satellite.

"I am shocked that perspective has switched over to us to demonstrate the card battle mechanics!"

They then proceed to talk about all the different things you do in Card Battle. I'll cover this when we actually play a card game ourselves.

In the meantime, Card Folders has been added to our Pause menu. Our options are as follows:

Items: View your inventory and use HP-restoring items.
Sort: Change the order of your party.
Map: View a map.
Techniques: Use an out-of-battle technique. This will pretty much be healing moves.
Status: View your Digimon's stats, change their equipment and set Battle Digivolve, which is the form you start any battle as. The game's not so cruel as to force you to waste a turn digivolving.
Card Folders: View your card collection and edit your decks.

Lookit all them stats. The ones on the left are Strength, Defence, Spirit, Wisdom, Speed and Charisma. The first five work pretty much exactly like you'd think, with Strength and Defence being used for physical stuff and Spirit and Wisdom for non-physical techniques. However, Speed is also a factor in this game's evasion mechanic as well as determining order of battle. If you are significantly faster than your opponent, you can attack twice before they get to strike, too.

Charisma is increased slightly by level but mostly by putting on equipment. It is the stat that determines if Tamers want to battle you or not. If you don't have enough Charisma to be worth their time, they just won't battle you.

Here's Guilmon's spread. He's faster than Kumamon but more defensively frail. The stats on the right are your elemental Tolerances. There are seven elements in this game: Fire, Water, Ice, Wind, Thunder, Machine and Dark. The more Tolerance you have, the less damage you'll take from that element.

Finally, here's Patamon. He's much weaker physically than the other two but has pretty good Defences (with low HP) and Spirit, so attacking with his Boom Bubble technique produces decent results.

These are our card folders. At the beginning of the game, all three of your decks are the same (you can use the same card in multiple Folders). Most of these are Rookie cards, with a few Champions and one fairly weak Ultimate, as well as eight Program Cards, which are used to influence the battlefield, draw cards and do the usual stuff non-creature cards do. I'm not going to go into much more detail about the game mechanics here though. We have other things to be doing.

Tamers are this game's Trainers. We met one earlier, remember? Most of them will Card Battle you first, then Digimon Battle you a bit later when you have more Charisma, then Card Battle you again with a better deck once you have a little more. The ones in the card shop will only ever Card Battle you, though.

As a side note, the Divermon at this shop at first sells powerful Mega cards for ludicrous prices you can't afford without godlike levels of patience, then switches to more mediocre cards later. Should you manage to get enough money for one of these cards, the Tamers here will immediately switch to using their second, more powerful, deck. The dev team thinks of everything.

Asuka Bridge. A fairly standard transition section for now.

Central Park. I've seen some walkthroughs state that you shouldn't leave this area until you are at least level 5. This is total garbage, it's feasible at lower levels if you rely on your technique.

Leomon runs the Gym here, which lets you spend TP gained from level-ups (at a rate of 5 TP per level) to do the training. Training here consists of watching your Digimon doing a thing, with success determined by chance. This of course means I will be save stating to make sure I get the most out of my TP. As we progress through the game, more and better training courses will be unlocked.

Here, we see Junior's heart being broken. Again, this is due to our paltry 3 Charisma.

Here's Kunemon, a Rookie-level insect Digimon and one of the two things we can fight here. Here's the battle theme, by the way. S'nice.

It attacks by rolling at us, but we've evaded, which means we take no damage at all.

Of course, the enemy can do this to use as well. Some of the later attacking animations can get fairly long, and it's really annoying to spend 30 seconds showing off our badass flame-summoning sword beam power only to hear the distinctive sound that was the bane of my childhood.

The faster you are, the more chance you have to evade. Of course, since the mechanic was shrouded in mystery, the internet is full of those 'press such-and-such-a-button at the right time to increase your chances' urban legends, to the extent that nearly every single button on the PS1 controller (and probably a few that aren't even on it) has been mentioned as the button to press to increase evasion chances.

Right, let's do a technique.

This is Shell Beach, south of Central Park. The enemies here are for the most part significantly stronger than the ones in Central Park.

This Betamon... not so much. It's another Rookie-level.

Using a signature move (normally known as a finisher here) triggers a more complex than usual animation for an attack that deals a fair bit of damage.

Like so.

Just like in Pokemon, different partners have different growth rates. Guilmon is the quickest leveller we have. I can't remember if Patamon is slow or not. Regardless of how easy the level is, you still get 5 TP and a stat boost. You'll note that we didn't gain much Tolerance at all. We will mostly be relying on training for that. There are also Chips that are dropped by some enemies that provide minor stat boosts, but they're pretty hard to come by.

Obligatory 'tapirstapirstapirs' comment. Tapirmon gives 5 experience and 20 BIT, as opposed to Kunemon's 6 experience and 10 BIT. However, Tapirmon sometimes attempts to flee.

Also, there are an awful lot of random Cactuar-shaped background objects in this game. I'm not sure why given that it's a Bandai game. Maybe the people in charge of making the backgrounds just reeeeeally liked Cactuars.

To finish off this part, let's go to Plug Cape and kick off a side quest.

"I am shocked at the level of abuse trees have to put up with in this game!"

I dunno, given that Gabumon isn't a partner in this game...

OK, this is actually probably genuine astonishment, so I'll let it slide.

Basically, he tells us that Cardmon, a Digimon made exclusively for this game who has a 100% chance of dropping a booster pack when defeated, has a chance of being in trees shaped like that one. However, given that there's a metal tube around the base for... some reason, we require Tree Boots in order to kick them. He offers to tell us how to get Tree Boots, on one condition.

...Find a really common trading card that he dropped somewhere. Eh, I'm not going to complain. Next time, we'll complete the quest, try and play a card game and also start a second sidequest that also has something to do with Cardmon. See ya!

A

Appleture Science

A spoilers, you say? Well, all I know of the whole thing is what my sister's repeated and got stuck in my head, so.
I have better things planned than an angry jump...maybe. /shot

Wait, seriously? The character is that...what?
Darnit, Junior!
...ooh, you need a highish stat just to be battled? That's interesting...
Oh Junior. You're sort of doomed.

Oh yes, the press-a-button things? I've heard that they do actually work, but only if you have incredibly precise timing. And such it's only feasible when speedrunning.
we're still cuter tapirs
...I read Plug Cape as Plug-Oink...

Aaand trading cards. Does the card game do anything useful or is it just a card game?

Mattman324

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
YUUSHA
Pokémon Type
Electric, Steel
Pokédex Entry
KITA KITA KITA
World 2 gave you one starter. Vaccine people got Agumon, Data get Patamon, Virus gets Pico/Demidevimon. You then pretty much walk into the next area and snag two of the wilds (also type dependent) to fill your team, though I suppose you don't HAVE to do that.

All this card stuff reminds me of Digital Card Battle, which I will one day start playing again (probably with mention of the Japan only prequel that had a FUCKING HITLER AGUMON I SHIT YOU NOT.)

B

Backstroke of the West

I'm wondering if you could technically get an Imperialdramon in this game.

H

hobohunter

How did I not realize you were playing this Bryss? Oh you know what? You did mention grinding against Tapirmon on skype. Well whatever the case I love this game. Good luck to ya!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)