• Episode Four of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode will be the last one featuring chapters from Call of the Divines and Solstice! Tune in to hear what the story's creators have to say about these audio adaptations of their runs.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Comic Johto Teen Bright Souls

Thread Description
A bored 20-something goes on a Pokemon adventure and gets in over her head.

SnackyTheSylph

He's a jolly fellow
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ground
Pokédex Entry
I SWALLOW SLUDGE TO TRANSFORM MYSELF
If you’ve read my other runs, you may have noticed my occasional references to “that one Crystal run from a few years ago that I may or may not ever end up posting”. Well, wait no longer; this is that run. I’ve been drawing Pokemon comics since I was a kid, but this is the first time I’ve ever made them for anyone besides myself or my friends. So, I’m still learning. If you want to know what to eventually expect from this run, then you can imagine based on the various other kinds of media that have influenced me. All I’ll say is that it will start out as a normal run of Crystal.

I’m just going to get a few mechanical things squared away below, and then we can get right into it.

This run will not be super heavy. But if you’re sensitive or otherwise averse to certain things, then it’s good to be informed. Here’s the things I think you may want to know before you read:

• It will contain the standard macabre imagery that you should expect from a Nuzlocke, where appropriate. This will include dead or dying Pokemon, and the topic of death will of course feature in this run. However, it will not be very gory, I promise.
  • It’s a Pokemon game. There will be fantasy violence.
  • At least one character will lose at least one limb, non-violently.
  • The protagonist will bleed from the hand twice before this run concludes.
  • Occasional strong language.
  • Occasional mild sexual references.
  • Low resolution on account of being drawn in MS paint.
1. Pokemon that fainted in battle were considered dead. A dead Pokemon is removed from the party indefinitely, via boxing in-game.

2. Only the first encounter in a given area was eligible to be caught.
2a) One exception: The Bug-catching contest and the National park were each afforded their own catch despite being the same location, because the encounter tables are completely different.
2b) Duplicate captures were discounted from the above rule.

3. The entire game was played in set mode.

Read on ComicFury (recommended) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Read on DeviantArt
If you want to read here on the forums, just scroll down!

Feel free to read wherever you have a presence. I will be monitoring all three sites. ComicFury is technically the best, since it has a convenient layout for bingeing and features alt text on each page. But whatever you prefer for reading is fine.

I have a pretty good idea of what direction I want to take this run, and the gameplay is long finished. But I would love to see some speculation/guesswork where appropriate, and I’m open to critique.

The run was played on the 3DS virtual console edition of Pokemon Crystal, which means that no cheats, hacks, or otherwise potentially unsavory actions were taken. The goal of the run was to reach the top of Mt. Silver and defeat Red. The gameplay for the run began on the date of the virtual console edition’s release (which was apparently January 26, 2018), and was finished some time in the spring of 2018. This comic has been evolving ever since then, and has now reached the form you see below.

This run is drawn freehanded, with a mouse, in MS paint. Additional physical sketches/drawings have been added to some of the pages as well.

I will be posting new pages on deviantArt and Comicfury concurrently, and updating this thread with links whenever I do that.

I will also be including author comments below each new page, or in the description box on DA/CF. These will do various things depending on the page, usually either clarifying gameplay events, explaining references, or just giving general commentary on things in the run.

As for the update schedule...well, I’m in college. So once it’s in the swing of things, it will update sporadically based on my mood and/or available time. However, I have a few pages ready already, so for the first couple weeks there’ll be steady updates.

Last edited:

SnackyTheSylph

He's a jolly fellow
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ground
Pokédex Entry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And here's the pages if you want to read them here.

It's time to start the run! We begin with this guy! What's his name? Who knows? Probably Gold. That's what that guy's name usually is.

Anyway, yeah. We're not gonna waste much time on this intro stuff. There'll be time to waste later!

Our hapless hero managed to be completely oblivious to the Silver Situation all the way until he actually witnessed the robbery take place. At least he managed to get Pete a few levels first, judging by the fact that he knows Razor Leaf.

I’ll leave it to the imagination what happened to Gold that kept him from exiting the lab until the thief had made it all the way out of town, despite the fact that he was standing right in front of the door.

In the corner there is a doodle! These are little hand-drawings I'll do to fill in empty space if it appears. They'll mostly just be gags. This doodle shows us something, though. That bag contains the "Silver" costume that this new girl was ostensibly wearing up until a couple minutes ago. It's what she's holding behind her back in the panels proper, though we can't see it from this angle.

SnackyTheSylph

He's a jolly fellow
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ground
Pokédex Entry
New page!

Cyndaquil and Totodile do have similar silhouettes, so I can see how she didn't realize until now even though Poke Ball tops are semi-transparent in this reality. Also, she was too busy committing a crime to actually confirm which ball she didn’t drop.

HEADCANON TIME: Pokemon centers have a little hotel area on the top floor. These rooms are free for Pokemon trainers to stay the night, so they don’t have to rough it in the wild or bum stays off of strangers in new towns. I refuse to try to address how Pokemon centers fund all this stuff, though.

SnackyTheSylph

He's a jolly fellow
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ground
Pokédex Entry
New page!

Here’s the REAL starter, Bowser. I’ve played the Johto games so many times that the starter choice was pretty difficult. But, at the time, I was really into Bowser’s Inside Story (because it’s a good game), so I picked Totodile because I love Bowser in that game. Don’t worry, though, this one won’t just be a carbon copy of that one.

By “Common Region” Bowser means “the regions that were based on Japan, which in this world comprise Poke-Japan”. They’re geographically near each other and the dominant language in each is Fantasy Japanese. Which means that technically all this dialogue is spoken as Japanese in-story, but presented to you in English. Don’t think about it too hard, though, since there’s wordplay and stuff. Also I can’t come up with a name for Fantasy Japanese that doesn’t sound stupid, so I’m leaving it as that for now. Kalosians speak Fantasy French, Galarians and Unovans speak Galarish (and probably Fantasy Spanish, but there’s not a Spain or Mexico region yet so shhh), and Alolans speak Galarish and Alolan. This will be on the test.

It was really hard to find an image of (Mario) Bowser’s logo that was clean enough to recolor and use. Most of them were jpeg’d to hell.

Alan900900900

Lurker extraordinaire
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is a master of having too many projects at the same time. Also, Pikablu.
Aw, this artstyle is super charming, I'm loving it already. And what a twist, by the way! "Silver" is our actual protagonist this time, and I'm assuming Gold will be pulling rival duty? I'll be following along with this in the future!

SnackyTheSylph

He's a jolly fellow
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ground
Pokédex Entry
Aw, this artstyle is super charming, I'm loving it already. And what a twist, by the way! "Silver" is our actual protagonist this time, and I'm assuming Gold will be pulling rival duty? I'll be following along with this in the future!
Thanks a bunch! I hope you enjoy it. We'll see what Gold does later, so look forward to that.

New page!

And there’s the first catch, Birdon the Pidgey. Pretty predictable, all things considered. It’s extremely difficult to not get a Pidgey in Johto. I would’ve liked to try out Sentret, but whatever. RNG giveth and RNG taketh away...

A couple notes about his design. I actually dislike the Hair Tuft of Uniqueness as a character design trope, but it’s present on his namesake (an enemy from Kirby), so yeah. The aviator helmet also comes from Kirby's Birdon as well; as much as we all love Lulu, it’s completely unrelated to her.

Picket Furret

Antisocial Lurker
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Normal
Man, there's just something about MSPaint Comic Doodles that just never gets old for me, I love it.

SnackyTheSylph

He's a jolly fellow
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ground
Pokédex Entry
Man, there's just something about MSPaint Comic Doodles that just never gets old for me, I love it.
I'm glad you enjoy!

New page! There's also going to be a bonus update later today, so keep an eye out for that.

Bowser is also not very perceptive, considering he never made the connection between “human who has my Poke Ball” and “Trainer” until just now. Also, Amelia finally tells us her name! Took her long enough.

DISCLAIMER: The final panel’s joke is a reference to Homestuck; the character whose screenname initials are AG is known as the Thief of Light. But fear not; since I drew that panel, I have resolved to be less aggressively homestuck (you can tell this is true because I didn’t make this page 8). I almost removed that line entirely. However, I left it in for two reasons. The primary reason is to establish this world’s relation to our media. I always find it kind of silly when Pokemon comics just handwave things as “oh, regular earth media exists, but as Pokemon instead”. You know, like The Slowking’s Speech or the Pyroar King, etc. So, screw that. Earth media exists in this reality pretty much exactly as it does in ours, with minor differences by virtue of Pokemon existing. Like, to use Homestuck as an example for hopefully the last time in this comic, Becquerel was probably an Arcanine or something instead of a (non-)regular dog, and Jaspers was a Skitty I guess.

SnackyTheSylph

He's a jolly fellow
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ground
Pokédex Entry
Here's the first bonus update! These are sort of side stories. They just address things that don't quite fit into the main narrative but I still want to address.

This is my solution to the fact that Amelia's outfit does not include a backpack. It's also an extension of the PC storage system from the first 3 generations.

If you don't know, Hammerspace is the term for the pocket dimension from which cartoon characters can pull ridiculously large hammers and other items that seem like they shouldn't exist. Portals to it can typically be found just off-screen.

As a bonus to the bonuses, they'll be hand-drawn with pencil (but not usually colored). This was my original MO for comic-making, before I decided to go digital for this one. It's honestly kind of surprising to me how well my style transfers between "left-handed on paper with a pencil" and "right-handed on MSPaint with a mouse".

SnackyTheSylph

He's a jolly fellow
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ground
Pokédex Entry
Birdon knows stuff about stuff. I guess that’s why he was standing on that sign directing people. Makes you wonder why no one ever caught him before now.

Ronnie here is named after the MLB player Ryan Howard. Back when he played for the Philadelphia Phillies, my dad thought his name was Ronnie instead of Ryan. So he would cheer for/yell at Ronnie Howard. And I can vaguely imagine someone throwing a Geodude like a baseball. So yeah.

I've always thought that Geodude's GSC sprite looks like he's telling some kids to get off of his lawn. I even named a Golem that I finished a Silver nuzlocke with "MY LAWN".

Picket Furret

Antisocial Lurker
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Normal
Better be ready for some grinding, because he won't learn Rock Throw until lvl 11

SnackyTheSylph

He's a jolly fellow
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ground
Pokédex Entry
@Picket Furret: Well, that's true. At least he resists Normal and Flying, though. Plus Birdon probably wouldn't know that.

New page!

This scene takes place on Route 31. My encounter for Route 31 was a Bellsprout, I think. But I didn’t bother trying to use it because Leaf Stones are hard to find in Gen 2, which is why it isn’t noted. As a general rule, I caught something on pretty much every route, but I’ll really only make note of something in-story when it joins the team. So yeah.

Also, String Shot seems extremely useful when your world isn’t a video game made by Game Freak.

Last edited:

Picket Furret

Antisocial Lurker
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Normal
Good idea Flutter, Crobats are amazing to have on a team!

SnackyTheSylph

He's a jolly fellow
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ground
Pokédex Entry
Good idea Flutter, Crobats are amazing to have on a team!
Hahaha. Hahahahahahahahaha. No offense to you or Crobat, but just. Ha.

New page!

For the record, this was almost a true first encounter. The first encounter was a Geodude, which I could ignore via the dupes clause on account of having Ronnie. Asmodeus here was the second encounter.

SnackyTheSylph

He's a jolly fellow
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ground
Pokédex Entry
New page!

The first panel there uses the color palette of gen 2’s menu sprites. Relatedly, most of the Pokemon are colored using colors lifted directly from their gen 2 sprites. And by most of them I mean all of them up to this point, except for Totodile and Chikorita, because their sprite colors were too dark for my liking. I do the backgrounds this way too. The appearance of this comic is tied back to the way the real games look, which I guess counts as an intentional design decision.

Speaking of game things, levels. They won’t be a big thing in the comic, but I do like using game elements to describe battles (i like showing a mostly-empty hp bar a lot more than having a floating panel of a character panting and clutching their arm dramatically while covered in dirt scrapes). So stuff like that just helps to make their presence make more sense. And really, in a world where Pokemon can be stored in computers as data, why wouldn’t they quantify stuff like this?

SnackyTheSylph

He's a jolly fellow
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ground
Pokédex Entry
New page!

This page marks the end of my backlog of pre-prepared pages. This means that updates will be a lot slower from now on. But I'm also going on winter break, so they won't be that slow (hopefully) until the next semester starts.

If you pay close attention to Gold's current team, it may start to look familiar. Hmm...I wonder what that could mean?

Bug

👉😎👉
Tech Team
🌱Featurer
🎇Contributor
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
oh fuck oh shit my dots...............................................................................................................................
I'm so sorry. First page, first thing I thought I saw was a troll, deadass. As for the comic, I appreciate the character and interactions so far between everyone. Just a lot of little things that really add up.

SnackyTheSylph

He's a jolly fellow
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ground
Pokédex Entry
I'm so sorry. First page, first thing I thought I saw was a troll, deadass. As for the comic, I appreciate the character and interactions so far between everyone. Just a lot of little things that really add up.
NO TROLLS! I PROMISE! I guess the gray would be a trigger, though. Speaking of trolls, Asmodeus's design predates me discovering them and any resemblance to the horns of any other fictional character is completely coincidental. also thanks for the kind words.

Oh gosh. Oh geez.

It's been a lot longer than I intended for updating this.

So here's the situation. I don't have very much free time during this school semester. Like, at all. So this comic sort of fell through the cracks a little bit. I'm not really satisfied with that, so I'm going to try to get back to producing content more regularly. I don't want to make any promises I can't keep, but I do want to provide content to y'all more regularly.
So here's what I'm going to say:

This comic will update Saturdays. Not every Saturday, mind; but if I manage to finish a page, I'll post it on a Saturday. I'll also try to keep a minimum rate of one page per month; ideally more, but other life stuff can get in the way.

Anyway, without further ado, let's get this page out there.
DeviantArt link | Comic Fury link

edit: fixed a couple of art errors
This page is a good opportunity for me to talk about consistency. My art can be sort of inconsistent at times, which is just a fact of life. But that inconsistency can muddle the details a little bit in some places, so I have 2 things to address briefly.
1) Asmodeus is canonically freaking tiny for a Dunsparce. Its canon length is 4'11''; head to tip, Asmodeus is barely as long as Amelia's torso.
2) The fluctuation in Asmodeus's horns is completely intentional. Some details look slightly different from panel to panel due to the way I draw, such as Bowser's crest or Birdon's floof. That's incidental. But the ways that Asmodeus's horns vary are actually happening, it's on purpose, and it means something. So. Yeah.

Last edited:

SnackyTheSylph

He's a jolly fellow
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ground
Pokédex Entry

edit: fixed a couple of art errors
It's finally about to be gym battle time! I say finally as if 15 isn't a relatively low page number to start your first gym battle on...but, hey, Johto is short like that.
50 internet points to anyone who can spot the oddity with the team bars in the last panel and figure out why it's there before I explain it.

Last edited:

SnackyTheSylph

He's a jolly fellow
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ground
Pokédex Entry

One update in and I've already broken my proposed update schedule. Fantastic. But whatever, I'm just trying to get into the groove of the gym fight. Speaking of which, pages might start getting longer since I'll generally only be updating weekly.

Falkner's levels are low, but Mud-Slap's accuracy drop can make the fight real annoying. Never gave Asmodeus any trouble, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)