• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
Thread Description
"According to Hop, I am Princess Peach." (Chapter 17 - 6/29)

glancesherlock

Consulting Detective
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Just wants to stay home and solve crimes.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Thirteenth - I still can't believe how well the effing stars aligned for this thing. :3

@Magicforbeginners - Lord, they're both so hopeless, they definitely need Raihan around.

@pinkshellos - Yeah she did!

@Rhema - Yeah, I really like exploring the buildup, start, and the details of a relationship, so here we are! Don't worry, this fic's gonna keep chuggin'.

@Dee - Yes!! Getting them together at roughly the halfway point in the fic. I've got all manner of fun in store for the second half. (Jabber is the best!)

@Whozawhatcha - Yeah they're fucking dumb as rocks, the both of them. It really took Raihan and the goddamn metaphor to get them together. I think you've got two weeks worth of updates, including this one, and then you get to suffer with everyone else. 😈

This one's just pure fluff, guys.

Leon sends me up a back way to avoid the spectators. (Two stairways in one flat. Ridiculous.) He said to meet him on the third floor, second room to the right.​

...It’s the loo, so the next one it is.​

It’s a small spare bedroom with a decent-sized bed, nightstand, and a two-drawer chest. The three dusty tubs stacked in the corner tell me it doesn’t get much use.​

I turn on the lamp and settle myself on the bed, hugging my knees. For once, it’s not to cry. My cheeks hurt from smiling. I just can’t believe it.​

That just happened. It’s still happening. Things don’t seem real. This house, this night, even myself—none of it. Reality distorted itself in one swift motion, and I think I prefer it this way.​

I try to stay in the moment and push away everything else. Things keep threatening my mood just at the edge of my thoughts: Kai’s snickering, every mistake I made this summer, the fact that Leon’s taking a while and might have second thoughts. I shake it all off like a wet Boltund.​

Please, brain, let me be happy in peace.​

Leon squeezes through the ajar door, and for the first time I don't feel nervous about what to say.​

"Hey." So much emotion pushed out in one word.​

He smiles. "Evening."​

I want to kiss him again.​

I take a large gulp of the vodka lemonade he hands me, cause I'm thirsty as hell. He sets his glasses aside and lies next to me, head propped on his hand. I take the other one. Calloused and warm.​

"How're you feeling?" he asks. God, his eyes. I had to catch glimpses of them before, but now I get to just look in awe.​

I blush. "Amazing."​

"Yeah, me too." He gives me a sideways smile I could ride to the moon. "I never thought… I mean, ever—"​

"Yeah."​

Our eyes are locked. They're saying more complete sentences than we're able.​

I'm holding my breath. Him too.​

He breaks first.​

"Ah, fuck." He rises to meet me, and my back's against the wall as he plants his lips. My hand finds his hair. His finds my waist. I feel a tug at my sweater, and it sets off an alarm.​

"W-wait, Leon."​

He stops (dammit, but also hnnnng, not yet). "What?" When I don't respond he shifts away. "Oh. Have you…"​

"With a girl, yes." I scrunch my face with embarrassment that I killed the moment. "Guy, no."​

"Okay." He's watching me, waiting. "We don't have to."​

I suck. "Is it fine if we just… be here? Talk?" This is already a lot.​

His expression softens. "Yeah. C'mere."​

We lie close, faces inches apart. He smells nice. His thumb rubs my hand. I don’t feel like me anymore. I'm like… a better me on an unfamiliar plane of existence. I came up for air for the first time, and I’m breathing the way I was meant to.​

“So…” There are so many questions, but I’m still only brave enough to ask a few. “All summer, what have you been… thinking? I guess.”​

He mulls it over. “Well, when I was planning on coming home, you were on my mind a lot more than I expected. I-I knew you and Hop were looking to take the challenge, and I hadn’t exactly decided on endorsements yet, but I thought you could use… something.”​

My heart sinks. “That Scorbunny.”​

“Thought for sure it’d give away the game, but y’know, at least I also had something for Hop.”​

“But then I didn’t—oh shit, I’m sorry.”​

He places a hand on my cheek, and I melt. “I told you, it’s fine. Dunno what I was thinking. Clearly, it should’ve been a Clefable since you favor her so much.”​

I smile and kiss his hand. “You need to meet Gretta properly soon. She’s basically my bodyguard, so you’ll have to ask for her blessing.”​

“Oh, I see.”​

“M-hm.”​

“Not Zephyr?”​

“Zephyr already likes you.”​

“Ah.” His fingers brush against the back of my neck. “You know, that night in the hotel room, I almost said something.”​

My chest lifts. “Really?”​

“Yeah, but…” He shakes his head. “Considering everything, I didn’t want this to be that night, you know? But bloody hell if I almost didn't break.” He chuckles through it. “Dragons go rawr.”​

“Oh god, no.” I roll away. Of all the things for him to take away...​

“What? It was cute.” He pulls me against his chest. “You’re cute.”​

The rest of the world doesn’t exist anymore, right? It’s just us? Cool. Just checking.​

“Not to mention, uh…”​

I know. “Hop was there.”​

“Yeah…”​

My arm wraps around his. “I’ve been nervous about saying something, but I think… biggest thing holding me back was Hop. I didn’t want to come between you two.”​

“Hah! Sorry.” He gives me a squeeze. “I didn’t want to come between you two.”​

“You’re kidding.”​

“No.”​

Son of a bitch.​

“Well,” I say. “At least we’ve been on the same page.” Still are, except we’ve turned it. New chapter. A touch of guilt seeps in me, happy as I am. We can’t just undo this, and Hop needs to know. “What do you think he’ll say?”​

“Not sure,” he admits. “‘Specially with him in this mood.”​

We go quiet, and not in the best way. I try to focus on anything but Hop’s reaction: the window, the bed, the party music below, but I can just hear him. “My brother’s got everything, even my best mate.” End me.​

The pounding beat of the song suddenly gives way to soft piano riffs, and a roar of upset groans erupts from the ground floor.​

It takes me out of my sad musings. “What on earth was that?”​

“Disappointing drop.” Leon chuckles. “Rai must be in full form down there.”​

“Bloody dork.” As the music kicks back in, I snuggle into Leon’s chest. I can feel his breathing, his heartbeat. I just want to enjoy this. “Hey, can we worry about Hop in the morning?”​

“Yeah, Lav. We’ll tell him together if you like.”​

“Maybe.”​

We talk about other things: our teams, each other, silly stories… each other. He fetches more drinks. We grow drunk and start admitting things. Embarrassing things.​

“Okay,” I sigh on my turn, face already growing red. “I once spied on you while you were working out.”​

His smirk is insufferably devilish. “Nice.”​

“Shut up!” I ball my fists in my sleeves and hide my face. “Hop and I were playing video games, and both your doors were open. It was not my fault!”​

“What was I doing?” Cheeky git.​

“I don’t remember—bicep curls.”​

“Nice!”​

Hop won many rounds of Mario Kart that day.​

I smack said bicep—crikey, that’s solid. “Your turn, dummy.”​

He exaggerates his thinking face. “Oh. Yeah. I was a complete wreck when we danced at the Rose Ball.”​

“Um, bollocks!” My memory begs to fucking differ. “You were smooth as silk.”​

“Why, thank you.”​

“You kissed my hand!”

“Lav, it is literally my job to look cool while dying inside.”​

Such a statement resonates with me so much, and to hear him say it—I let myself fall on my face with laughter. I roll on my back so I’m staring straight up at him.​

Three vodka lemonades has it been? Four? Fuck.​

“What, you don’t like being champion?”​

“It’s fun. Fine, even.” He settles in so we’re shoulder to shoulder. He stares at the ceiling. I stare at him. “Love the sport, love the people. I just can’t ever… turn it off, y’know? Even around people I’m close to. With Hop, I’m his older brother, I need to keep it together around him. And even Raihan. He’s my best mate, but he’s fast after my title. Then Rose has me everywhere all at once, and I rarely have a day to veg. It’s just been ten years of that. I don’t feel like I know anything else.”​

There it is again. That same tired look I saw at the Rose Ball.​

“I’m sorry.”​

“Not your fault, Lav.”​

I lace my fingers with his. Four cups of liquid courage let me ask, “What about me?”​

He smiles and nuzzles his head against mine. “With you I can just breathe.”​

Hold me down, I’m about to float away.​

I return the nuzzles and speak into his shoulder. “Hey. So, I have an idea.” A drunk idea. “I caught a Ponyta a few days ago. His name is Cookie. When he evolves, I’ll come pick you up, and we’ll just ride off into the Wild Area and live there forever so you can rest.”​

He laughs, and I think he mouths, “What the fuck?”​

“Yes. I’ll take you up on that.”​

“It’s nice out there,” I continue, eyes drooping. Alcohol’s hitting hard. “Just gotta watch out for dogs.” The world goes dark. “They don’t like me…”​

An arm wraps around me. “I can handle the dogs if you handle the directions.”​

“Sounds good…”​

My mind’s still not asleep, but my body is. My breathing steadies.​

His lips rest on my forehead. “Night, Lav.”​

Door's open wide, but my storm's quiet.​

Leon’s still there in the morning, along with a bloody headache.​

Too much vodka.​

He’s holding me, so I don’t move. Warm, soft. Safe. This is fine forever.​

We kissed last night, how the hell did this happen?​

The bed creaks as he shifts. His embrace tightens as he lets out a groggy, “Morning.”​

“Good morning.”​

It’s morning, and things are still okay.​

“Hmm…” Leon rests his head against me. “Back to sleep.”​

It gets a little giggle from me.​

Not ten seconds go by before he springs out of bed.​

“Shit! What time is it? Oh, fuck…” He puts a hand to his temple. Headrush. Probably hungover like me. Rubbing the sleep from his eyes, he checks his phone. “Goddammit, I have to be downtown in two hours.”​

I sit up. Slowly. “That’s still some time.”​

He motions to his whole self. “Yeah, but I gotta get this presentable.” His hair’s a bird’s nest. ...It’s still hot. “My cape and jersey are back at the hotel. I’m supposed to give a speech. And we still need to talk with Hop. Bloody hell.”​

I’ve been a part of this for five minutes, and I’m already stressed for him. “Don’t worry about Hop, I’ll talk to him.”​

“You sure?” He’s hesitant, but I can tell he’s hungry to let someone take on some weight off him.​

“It might be better coming from me, anyway.”​

Either he nods, or his neck’s too tired to hold his head. “Yeah, alright. Tell me how it goes.”​

“Of course.”​

He excuses himself to make a call, and I send a quick text to Hop.​

Hey, something came up. Everything’s fine, but we really need to talk. Are you in Hammerlocke?

I hate that it’s cryptic. They’re the worst texts. But he’s got to hear it in person.​

I make my way downstairs.​

It’s a sty. Cups, paper plates, and empty cans and bottles everywhere. I spot at least three fresh stains in the carpet.​

Something smells good from the kitchen, so I head in there. Raihan’s already dressed and energetically flipping hashbrowns in a skillet. It appears the hangover gods have spared him.​

“Mornin’, sis!” He beams. “Just makin’ a lil’ breaky.”​

What a goof. “I see that.”​

“Coffee’s on. Cream’s in the fridge, just help yourself.”​

My head’s pounding. I take him up on it.​

As I stir in my sugar, I glance at the pantry. The last time Raihan and I were in this room together, I bolted from him.​

“Raihan, um…”​

He looks up from the pancake batter. “Ye?”​

My eyes follow the cream swirling in my coffee. “I’m sorry—I mean… Thanks for what you did last night.”​

He reaches over the island to ruffle my hair. “Think naught of it, my good lady! Guy was a right git, innit? Had to be dealt with.”​

“Still, thanks.”​

The coffee’s refreshing as fuck. Nectar-of-the-gods quality. Begone, headache.​

I survey the place again. “Do you need help cleaning up?”​

“Nah, hired a service. Should be here in an hour.”​

Of course he did. Gym leaders and their six-figure salaries.​

Leon lumbers in and plants a kiss on my cheek like it’s the most natural thing.​

Raihan motions to his own face. “One here too, luv.”​

He licks it instead, and Raihan shoves him.​

“Cheeky git.” He wastes no time getting his revenge. “So, you two have a champion time last night?”​

I nearly spit my coffee, and Leon just turns from him, eyes upward.​

How the fuck do I even???​

“No, Rai,” Leon says through gritted teeth. “Not that it’s any of your bloody business.”​

My phone suddenly becomes the most interesting thing in the world. I check my texts three times. As I go for a fourth to avoid looking up, I get a buzz.​

Yeah. My train rolls in around 3. Meet at the east Center?

Finally.​

Raihan proudly sets a plate of pancakes on the counter. He gives us a shit-eating grin, fang flashing. “Soup’s on!”​

Next week marks the end of Arc II and the halfway point of this run!

pinkshellos

Black Lives Matter !!
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 23, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Bug, Flying
Pokédex Entry
A timid Pokémon typically found in groups. The only thing that motivates her more than companionship is food.
God, they’re so sweet. I am so excited for the rest of this run.

Tookie

The Immoral Bard
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Poison, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
This user does not exist. All impressions to the contrary are propaganda pieces and not to be trusted.
this was??? such a delightful binge and they're so cute together and i would die for raihan aaaaaa i love this so much

Thirteenth

Number XIV
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 20, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
Pokédex Entry
The reason she guides people all the way down to the mountain's base is that she wants them to hurry up and leave.

babies....

And Raihan continues to be incredible, I love him so much.

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Clever
Pokédex Entry
A regular writer of fanfics and other works, this pokemon loves puns, bugs, and the outdoors.
This was adorable--and Raihan remains this run's MVP, I stan this dragon king

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
Oh god so much to catch up on help

Omg Hopppppp I can’t. THIS is the way I want his story and character explored; can we please inject this story into the actual game?? God that bit with him having Wilma off the team is so sad.

And poor Lav can’t catch a break either, she’s either so intimidated by the gym leaders she pukes or she’s riddled with guilt for kicking their ass lol. EFF Allister is such a bean here, what a gentle blessed soul. And oh god Lav please don’t feel guilty about kicking that tool out of the league- it’s what he deserves!

Okay FRICK your Opal is incredible too! Can you please just rewrite all of SwSh so I can play this game instead? With dating sim mechanics between the player character and Leon? Please create this and take my money?

Okay and now Bede gets actual character development besides a sentence on his trading card what is this sorcery.

Okay so I didn’t think anything could be better than Lav and Leon finally working shit out but WINGMAN YOSHI RAIHAN is somehow my favorite part of that whole episode

Whozawhatcha

i have too many projects
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 12, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pokémon Type
Fire, Flying
AHHHHH my only complaint is there was NOT enough kissing, came here to get my fluff and kiss craving handled and by golly if I got stupid fluff!! Sheesh. Proud of her for sticking to her guns of not being ready yet, but also seeeeriously glance?? Anyways, charming of leon not to rush into it thought he kinda wanted to. Always nice to get that feeling of a guy who doesnt mind waiting.

Gosh this was cute though. I've been a never ending well soaking up cute shit lately, hahah. We are fast approaching shit I havent read so color me excited!

Rhema

Conqueror of the Azalea Gym
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
She tries her best, but doesn't succeed. She gets what she wants but not what she needs.
“Lav, it is literally my job to look cool while dying inside.”​
How I feel when I have to socialize

“Cheeky git.” He wastes no time getting his revenge. “So, you two have a champion time last night?”​

I nearly spit my coffee, and Leon just turns from him, eyes upward.​
Holy shit I'm dyinggggg at this. That really is a hilarious catchphrase for all occasions

I loved this chapter! Fluffy AF, as promised. Super interested in how Hop's going to react to all of this, though. Not very well, I'm guessing. But who knows, maybe he'll surprise me?

glancesherlock

Consulting Detective
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
@pinkshellos - Thank you! I love my hopeless idiots.

@Tookie - Awww, thank you for binging it!

@Thirteenth - Raihan is GOAT, I can't believe he just happened.

@Dee - Thanks! Raihan took on a life of his own, he's def a highlight.

@Spectacles - Omg ;;;;; Time to ask Dayno how to hack. I really love the SWSH cast, but yeah the story is kinda meh. Honestly, I think it would've been fine if the script just had a couple more drafts and if they refined Darkest Day. But I'm so glad you like my interpretation of these characters!

@Whozawhatcha - Fluff for daaaaayyyys. There's more kissing in the future, scout's honor. Ye Leon is 100% gold of heart, dumb of ass.
seeeeriously glance??
Okay L O O K. That's it, that's my rebuttable.

@Rhema - Thank you, the catchphrase is so stupid in-game, I'm glad I could spin it into a joke. And don't worry, you won't have to wait long to see Hop's reaction. :)

It’s one o’clock. Still a couple hours to kill before Hop arrives in town.

I hunker down in the Center lobby with a sandwich. Cookie, Honey, and Zephyr keep me company, because Centers are cool with small ‘mon roaming free. Not Ingrid, though. I’m worried she’ll wander off looking for honeycombs. Cookie’s head rests on one leg, and Honey’s on the other. I take turns petting both. Zephyr paces back and forth on the couch back, observing people.

The urge to text Leon is strong, but I know he’s busy.

The world feels different, not so combative.

Should I tell Sonia?

Feels weird if I do, but weird if I don’t.

Because… yeah.

Fuck it. I text her.

She calls and nearly renders me deaf with her squealing.

Marnie’s reaction is more subdued.

Didn’t want to get your hopes up, but I had a feeling, based on what you told me about him. Congrats!

We talk a while about this and that. How she beat Opal yesterday, how her new Morgrem’s doing. She asks about Zephyr and Cookie. We make plans to reconvene in Circhester.

Hangover and the forthcoming conversation aside, it’s a good day.

Hop walks through the door at a quarter after time. I spring off the couch and envelope the lad as tight as I can.

“Blimey, Lav, I’m not back from the war or nothing.”

“It feels like it, though.”

Lord, has it really been since Stow-on-Side?

I let him go, and we sit… and don’t speak.

He eyes me warily. “You said something came up?”

Nope. Not ready for that.

“W-well, hold on. You first, I think.” I sit up straighter. “You bugger off in a slump, don’t call, don’t answer my texts or Leon’s. We’ve been worried.”

He winces. “I’m sorry.”

Nothing else, just sorry.

I’m so used to him taking the wheel.

“Please talk to me, Hop.” I try to take the edge out of my voice. “Just… What have you been up to? Let’s start there.”

He takes a deep breath. “Quite a bit, actually. A lot of training, a lot of thinking. So much thinking.” The cushion creaks as he sits cross-legged. “Funny thing, I sorta got lost in helping Sonia with some stuff.”

Okay, whoa. Left field. “Like what?”

That opens a can. He launches into a full narrative about how he and Sonia looked into more history about the Darkest Day, the hero (or “heroes,” as it’s apparently up for debate) that bested it, its connection to dynamax, something about a sword and shield not being what they seem, and all the mystery surrounding the business.

I just listen and smile because it’s nice to see him so animated again.

“It’s actually really interesting, Lav!” His face is so bright. “There’s been so much lost about the Darkest Day, and every bit of evidence and depiction we have conflicts with each other, so it’s like… Who’s right, who’s wrong? You gotta pick what sources to trust. It’s a bit of an addicting mystery.”

God, he’s almost back. “I didn’t know you were interested in stuff like that.”

“Neither did I!” He shrugs. “Been a bloody fun thing to get into, though. Sonia jokes, she calls me her assistant now.”

Assistant Hop. Adorable.

“I’m happy for you, mate.”

He smiles bashfully. “Yeah, so… I’m still figuring things out, but I feel… at least better.”

“I’ll take it.” I pat his hand. “I missed you.”

“Same here, Lav,” he says. “Now your turn, what’s up?”

Oh fuck, oh shit. He just started feeling better.

“Um…” I swallow. “Well, you see…”

Is it too late to bolt out of here?

No, he’s got a right to know. I’ll start small.

“Okay.” I situate myself so I’m directly facing him. Lord, I feel like a parent about to break the news of a divorce, except in reverse. Don’t worry, your brother and I still love you very much.

“Here’s the thing,” I start, voice cracking. “I… Iiiiieeeeee shit. Okay. For a while now… I’ve sorta… had a crush on Leon.”

My face scrunches in anticipation. I wait for him to get flustered, confused, anxious, upset—literally anything but his bloody response.

He just blinks. “Yeah, I know.”

“...Pardon?”

“I’ve known. For a while now.”

My face grows hot. “But w-wha—how?!”

“I’m not an idiot, Lav.” He chuckles. “Plus I have eyes.”

I’m… what??? There are no words; I just sit and babble confused noises.

“Oh, Sonia knows too,” he adds. “I didn’t tell her, she just figured. We riff on it sometimes, sorry. But hey! Good news.” He leans in like he’s about to tell me an exciting secret. “The way he talks about you, no doubt he likes you back.”

I don’t know whether to hug him or strangle him.

“Hop.” I put my hands on the side of my face in disbelief. “We have been holding off telling each other because of you.” Among other things.

That catches him off guard. He looks damn near humbled. “Really?”

“Yes!” Good lord. “We didn’t want to hurt your feelings.”

“Aww.” He’s genuinely touched, and I want to smack his dumb face. “Wait. So… Did something happen then?”

I go into it. The whole thing, beginning with Leon’s homecoming, barring almost having sex with him last night. Plus a few choice details about his quarter-life crisis and half of my breakdowns. Some things are just best left private.

“But yeah, we kissed.” I conclude. “We’re er… I think we’re a thing now.”

Hop nods slowly, soaking up the news.

“Is it weird?” I venture.

“I mean, my brother and my best mate? Yeah, needs some getting used to.” He clears his throat. “But you’ve kept yourself apart on my behalf already, I’d feel like a right git standing in your way. I want you to be happy, Lav.” His shoulders bounce in a quirky shrug. “Lee too, I guess.”

I could cry. Actually, I’m already tearing up. I wrap my arms around him and nearly choke him in a hug.

He parts us and shoots to his feet.

“Alright, since we’re being mushy, I gotta… C’mon, I gotta rectify something.”

We wander off to a vacant side street. Hop doesn’t say what for, but it becomes clear when Wilma appears from her ball and graces us with her heavenly presence. She lets out a happy bleat and rolls to Hop’s side. He rubs her ears.

“Hey, girl. Sorry.” He kneels to her level. “Been a while, I know.”

She can’t understand him, but it’s what she deserves.

"I'm sorry I booted you off. Wasn't right." They touch foreheads. "Did some real soul searching, and you know what? You're still my best girl."

I nearly scream when she starts glowing. Grandad used to tell me the 'mon you care about the most will evolve right when you need them. Gretta did that for me. Guess it's Wilma's turn.

She's about as tall as us now. Bigger. Fluffier. Majestic. I catch Hop shed a tear as he nuzzles her big face. I leap forward and bury myself in her fluff.

There's so much fluff.

When we cease our blubbering, I demand a picture. Maybe Raihan rubbed off on me.

I let out Zephyr, and after getting him to hold still on my shoulder, I snap a good selfie with Wilma as the centerpiece.

There we are: the OG crew from Postwick. Just a little different.

I send it to Leon and not five minutes pass before: WILMA!! AHHHHHH!!!!! Another quickly follows: New phone background tbh. My two favorite people. <3

What a dork. I love him.

I send: btw Hop knew we liked each other this whole time.

Ten minutes later: I'm going to fucking kill him.

Two days pass before we’re in Circhester. The stars align enough for the five of us—me, Hop, Leon, Sonia, and Marnie—to meet up for lunch. Sonia picks a local diner called Bob’s Your Uncle, insisting it’s the best food in town.

We squeeze in a booth. Leon’s on my left, Marnie’s on my right, and Hop and Sonia sit opposite. I’ve never felt so comfortable in the middle of a bunch of people.

It’s fun introducing Marnie to the rest. She blends in well and gives Sonia a run for her money in snappy, wise comebacks. Leon lets it drop that her brother is the dark-type gym leader, so I demand she tells me everything about that.

Her head tilts when I ask why she never brought it up. “Piers is sort of a black sheep in the League. Doesn’t approve of dynamax, you see. His personal life is… something. Hard to tell who thinks nicely of him and who doesn’t. Guess I’m in the habit of keeping it hush.”

Leon shrugs. “We’re acquainted. Unorthodox, but he seems alright.”

Marnie smirks. “That’s kinder than he’s used to, so thanks.”

“Oh, speaking of brothers.” Sonia’s eye twinkles. “I’ve stolen yours. He’s mine now.”

“Excuse me.” Leon feigns offense. “You can’t split up the Mario Bros.”

While they go at it, I move to lean against Leon’s chest. Then I catch Hop raising a warning eyebrow at me. I try to ask with my expression if it’s alright. He grins and waves me off. Trolling me like that. Stinker.

“Oh, right.” Marnie taps me. “I guess if I’m in this, that makes me Daisy, yeah?”

“Hm?” I ask. “Why her?”

“She’s cute, for starters.” She flips her hair to be cheeky. “And she and Peach are good friends.”

Hate to say it, but Bede hit something on the head.

I have my friends, a guy who cares about me, and my Pokemon.

...It’s really nice.

Transitioning between champions is a thorn in his side.

Paperwork. New contracts. A bloody ceremony that costs a fortune. Kid must be trained up. Old merchandise is tossed in the bin to make room for the new. Promotional materials need to be overhauled. Company goes in the red for a quarter or two. It’s a proper mess.

So when a kid struts on the pitch at thirteen, youngest he’s seen, and snags the title with a gigantamax Charizard, he wonders.

And formulates.

Boy’s too young to suspect. Parents are too hard up to argue. They sign.

The narrative writes itself: poor kid from a poor town claws himself out of the woodwork and climbs to the top with an unstoppable beast. Handsome devil too. Within weeks, he’s the darling of the region.

Next season rolls around, and he defends the title. The populous eats it up.

The year after, things are different.

Challenger’s too good. Needs to be slipped a few coin to throw the match. Even more for his silence.

It’s worth every penny.

Over the years, more are dealt with in a similar fashion. The longer the streak, the more popular the boy is. League participation shoots to an all-time high. Everyone wants their chance to take a shot at the kid.

An unbeatable champion by design: the dream come true. At least Leon has the talent, charisma, and—most importantly—the naivety to pull it off. And when he’s lost, confused, burned out—a guiding hand here, a wise word there. Patches things right up.

As the boy grows and reaches adulthood, it’s time to test how much he can handle.

More endorsement deals, more public events, more time on the road. More revenue to fund Macro Cosmos’ passion project. More money under the table to keep mouths quiet.

It’s a bloody machine, and he keeps it oiled.

Ten years of this, ten years of perfect business, and then Leon walks into his office with a dagger of a message.

“I’ve decided to endorse my brother and his friend this year.” He’s giddy. Proud, even. It’s his first endorsement.

Well, the first one Rose is certain he can’t talk him out of.

He raises his arms in glad tidings. “Oh, wonderful! Talented, are they?”

“Honestly, better than me my first season.”

Rose listens. He hears stories of Hop’s determination, of Lavender’s resourcefulness. As the body smiles and nods, the mind swirls and turns.

They won’t be bought. Not like the others. If they make it far enough...

No risks. This needs to be dealt with.

The girl is a mystery. He observes her at the ball. The way she glances at Leon, she clearly fancies him. He takes note. She’s meek, quiet. Could be no trouble. He has Oleana pull up records anyway.

Two certificates in difficult types, training a Noibat from birth, performed well in local tournaments. Not a bad track record. More information is needed. He makes arrangements for Hulbury.

The girl is quite typically emotional. A weak constitution. She loves her team. Don't they all?

She's scheduled a match with Kabu. Rose trusts Oleana with a task: a little extra strength energy powder to lace the PokeBalls. It'll send the old Hoennese master's team into just enough of a frenzy to look natural. Everyone will blame it on Kabu’s age.

The brother is a clown, but he has spirit. That must be broken at once.

Living a life in your godlike brother's shadow? Certainly, there's a mine to tap into.

Bede. Bede is the pickaxe.

The boy is faltering, but the girl is still going strong. He makes another arrangement to waylay her.

Can't hide a look of disdain, apparently. That necklace will probably see the bin by midday.

She certainly can't be bought.

"Here are the reports from the Hammerlocke facility, sir."

"Is it operational yet?"

"They just need a little more time."

"Hey." Leon enters without knocking. He's stern. "What's with this interest in Lavender?"

"Beg your pardon, my boy?" Rose raises his head from a sponsorship contract. It's already on the third draft.

The boy leans his palms against the desk. "She said you keep pulling her aside for chats. What gives?"

He pretends to think. "Oh! Right, right, right. Well, I've just been concerned about her, you see. It's your first year giving an endorsement. I just wanted to keep tabs, make sure things are going smoothly for her."

"I don't see you giving Hop special treatment."

He chuckles, stands. Hand on the shoulder—the old standby. "I have no doubt Hop will perform admirably. Miss Lavender, however… Well, she had a rough start, what with the Turffield incident, and then that ghastly business with Kabu."

Not to mention Leon blew off a commitment like a gallant fool to comfort her.

Leon ponders. "I think she'll be fine without your help. Or your gifts.” Ah, so they’ve spoken recently. “She's stronger than she lets on."

There's a crook in his smile. Rose raises an eyebrow.

"Fancy her, do you?"

It puts springs in his trainers as he jumps away. "What! No! I…"

Rose chuckles heartily. "There's no use keeping secrets from me. I know you, Leon. I regard you as one of my own." He settles himself on the desk, legs crossed. "So, tell me all about her."

It’s almost disappointing to toss Bede aside. At least his chore is done.

One less thing to worry about.

"How's our slumbering friend?"

"Stable. Shouldn't be long, sir."

"Excellent. Just need to get the golden boy on board."

The exhibition starts in ten minutes, and Leon shows up hungover without a speech.

There's a daft grin on his face.

"My boy," Rose hisses in his ear. "Where on earth have you been?"

"Honestly, sir." The lad's full of beans. "Having one of the best nights of my life. Lavender and I?" He smiles like a dolt, messily hooking the cape to his collar. "It happened. I went for it."

Bloody hell.

"Well, congratulations are in order then!" Hands together. Eyes sparkling. The works.

"Thanks! I just. I feel better than I have in ages."

"That's wonderful." He goes to fix that damn collar. "But do you think it's wise at this time?"

The boy's dizzy with infatuation. "Whaddya mean?"

"Well." He takes a breath, feigning reluctance. "You're our Unbeatable Champion, her endorser. There's a dynamic there." He offers a warning gaze. "People may talk."

Leon frowns. "What, you think they'll assume I gave her my support because of this?"

"I can't control what stories the press will weave." He absolutely can. "But I do worry about that constitution of hers. How she'll handle all the scrutiny. If I recall, Miss Sonia nearly cracked from it, and she was made of very strong material." Strong and meddlesome material that had to be wrenched from the cogs.

A moment of hesitation renders Leon silent. There it is: doubt. Sewn like a seed.

"We'll try to keep it quiet," he decides. "Lowkey. At least until the season's over."

Rose pats his arm. "I hope that you can." Here it is: an opportunity. The girl is useful now. "In the meantime, should anything unscrupulous arise in the papers, I could, perhaps, pull a string or two to keep the lense off of Miss Lavender."

"Wait, really?"

"It'd be a few hurdles, but Leon, after all our years together it's the least I can do for you."

He's touched. Even goes in for the hug.

Ten years of trust, from boyhood to manhood, and it's still there. Locked tight.

"I'd really appreciate that, sir. Oh, I'd er, better get out there."

Rose motions to the stage. "Yes, go on. Put on your show." He folds his hands behind his back and smiles. "And when we're done here, I have a special little side project I'd like to discuss with you."

That concludes Arc II! No break in the update schedule, there will still be a chapter next week. But focus is definitely going to shift a little. :3

pinkshellos

Black Lives Matter !!
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 23, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Bug, Flying
Pokédex Entry
A timid Pokémon typically found in groups. The only thing that motivates her more than companionship is food.
I did not expect to start reading Rose's perspective at the end. Holy cow, how sinister. The rest of the chapter went surprisingly well though! One word: Wilmaaaaaaaa 😭

Last edited:

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Clever
Pokédex Entry
A regular writer of fanfics and other works, this pokemon loves puns, bugs, and the outdoors.
Okay this was a fantastic chapter, very fluffy and lighthearted, super fun to see the whole gang working together, and glad that Marnie and Lav became such good friends so quickly! The Hop redemption arc was also stellar :3

So I mentioned this before, but thanks for making a character who is probably the franchise's weakest villain and making him super hateable. Like holy shit. He's behind Sonia's sputtering challenge, Bede picking on Hop, even the big event with Kabu??? And it's all super in-character for a corrupt exec looking for profit lines? God he's just so manipulative towards Leon and the crew I could puke. I hate him!!!!!

Way to go you monster, you took the least compelling pokemon antagonist and made a character I can't wait to see get brought down! You and your writing skills...

Tookie

The Immoral Bard
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Poison, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
This user does not exist. All impressions to the contrary are propaganda pieces and not to be trusted.
holy shit that rose pov was fantastic, amazing what comes under the umbrella of Just Good Business

localhoney

-free as all the pretty horses in our dreams-
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 17, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Localhoney, the Sweet Toxin Pokemon. It's said that the sounds it emits can paralyze even a Gigantamax Grimmsnarl.
“Blimey, Lav, I’m not back from the war or nothing.”
This made me snort.

Also, you really did get a ridiculous amount of mileage out of this Mario Bros metaphor and I think it's a really cool way to thread the plot together with the (mostly) lighthearted scenes we get with Princess Peach and the Mario Bros. Definitely didn't expect for Rose to get introduced that way (or at all, really) but now I am very upset that poor Lav had to suffer those losses so that Rose could keep his machine running smoothly. Can't wait to see what Arc 3 brings for the plot development, and more importantly, the Lav and Leon development.

Magicforbeginners

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 17, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Draws, writes, lives. Not well, but decently.
Hop is so great. As an older brother myself, I always love some brother representation in my fics. Sonia and Marnie too! Sonia's so happy at Lav and Leon getting together, it's cute. And I need more Marnie in my life.

The thing I hated most about sw/sh was how bad the main plot was. Rose has no motivation, and the whole Eternatus thing is just dumb (not to mention it comes out of nowhere). Turning Rose from "good hearted kind of stupid business guy" into flat-out Lord Business is perfect and works so much better. His motivation being greed works, and turning up the psychopath to 11 fits so well with his character. And the idea that Leon's not actually unbeatable, Rose was just throwing all his matches?! Very exciting.I can't wait for Lav to ferret that bit of info out. So much better than what the games had.

Whozawhatcha

i have too many projects
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 12, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pokémon Type
Fire, Flying
Ugh the fluff is cute, but you maniac. That rose POV is sinister and stellar. Well done with taking the weakest fucking pokemon villain and making something out of him. Man is a skeev.

Thirteenth

Number XIV
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 20, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
Pokédex Entry
The reason she guides people all the way down to the mountain's base is that she wants them to hurry up and leave.
He launches into a full narrative about how he and Sonia looked into more history about the Darkest Day, the hero (or “heroes,” as it’s apparently up for debate) that bested it, its connection to dynamax, something about a sword and shield not being what they seem, and all the mystery surrounding the business.
One word: youths.

Still reeling about the whole Bowser thing, I have to say once again that I'm not over how fucking perfectly the metaphor works a;lskdjf

Rhema

Conqueror of the Azalea Gym
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
She tries her best, but doesn't succeed. She gets what she wants but not what she needs.
Aw! Hop's reaction was so good; I was worried he was going to be really upset or even worse, admit a crush on Lav and really have the knife twisted, but he was surprisingly chill about everything! Just goes to show how strong their friendship is.

Also.....that last little bit with Rose thoroughly creeped me out omg. I think it was an effective juxtaposition; the rest of the chapter is like "everything's great!" and the extra is like "narrator: 'everything was not great'". Looking forward to evil shenanigans!

glancesherlock

Consulting Detective
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
@pinkshellos - Wilma, indeed!! Hehe, I loved sneaking in that lil' extra at the end.

@Dee - Rose disappoints me in that I think he has the best setup of any Pokemon antagonist to be a great villain, but the payoff was shite. But god, he's so close? Just alter a few bits of dialogue, and he coulda been the best villain in the franchise. Part of me likes to think there was a draft of the story where he went all-out Big Bad, but I guess a multi-billionaire nearly destroying the world for the sake of his energy company was too "real." I could see the higher-ups telling the writers reel him in. That's only a theory, though. Luckily, we have fanfiction to let him loose.

@Tookie - Thank you. Rose is a fun bastard to write.

@localhoney - Idk how this metaphor fit as well as it did, but I figure let's just ride it out and jump on every opportunity to use it, haha. I liked teasing Rose's scummy nature here and there in his earlier appearances, but yeah it was really fun to write a whole thing where we get to step behind the curtain.

@Magicforbeginners - Like I told Dee, I think Rose and the Darkest Day could work if there was just some nudging here and there. I don't think it's beyond saving. The pieces are there; they just weren't put together the right way. That isn't to say I didn't struggle with certain aspects of it, haha.

@Whozawhatcha - Rose is such a scum-fuck, and I love writing for his evil ass so much.

@Thirteenth - T W O B E W I L D E R E D Y O U T H S

@Rhema - I literally can't even imagine Hop crushing on Lav, honestly. xD I'd chalk his reaction up to uncomfortable but not against the whole thing. Plus yeah, he cares about Lav and wants her to be happy. Which is gonna be hard with Rose on the loose heheheheh.

@Wwarborday - Thanks, buddy. Hate you too. 💜

First chapter of Arc III: Fences

I like the cold more than Zephyr does. He huddles on my back, ears buried in my hair. The snowflakes irritate him. He squeaks complaints at me until I let him hide away in my coat. He's been restless. It's too cold at night around here for his evening flights.

"I know, baby boy, just need to get used to it," I soothe. "We're in Circhester for a couple days more, at least."

I swear, he gives me the stink eye.

Cookie walks behind me. His hooves make a satisfying clip-clop on the stone path. He's evolved into a glorious Rapidash, and I'd like to live out a childish fantasy.

Riding a unicorn through the snow? Hi, yes. I am six.

I find a proper spot.

"Alright, beautiful," I whisper to him, petting his muzzle. "This might be weird, but humor me, yeah?"

He's silent. Probably has no idea what I'm about to do.

"Hold still for me, please." I place my hands on his back and wait. Seems okay. Put a little pressure on. Still okay.

Alright then.

I go for it, jumping and pushing as hard as I can, but oh shit, fuck, upper body strength is shit, I'm falling.

My back's on the snowy ground. There’s nothing but sky. Zephyr squirms in my coat, upset from the tumble.

Cookie investigates. I feel his warm breath on my forehead. He shakes his head when I blow in his face.

Nothing's brought me down for the last few days. I just lie there and laugh.

"How'd it go?" Leon's voice doesn't sound nearly as nice over the phone, but I'll take it.

"Hmm, went all to pot." I rub my sleeve against my nose to warm it. "Cookie's tall. I'm too short to get on his back."

"So what you're saying is you need me to hoist you up?"

"No," I retort coyly, pacing the floor. "I can do it by myself. I'll teach him to kneel down for me."

"Ah, okay." I love his chuckle. I love making him sound this amused.

Leaning back, I let myself fall on the hotel bed and curl my legs. I disturb Honey, who's resting in the corner. She lumbers over and earns a chin scratch.

"I miss you." It's been two days. Feels like a month.

"I know, Lav," he breathes. "Me too. Two more meetings, one insufferable dinner, one night, and then I'm right back to you."

"I wish that were now." He can't see, but I'm pouting. "Tell Rose he needs to share you better."

"Adding it to today's minutes as we speak."

We're talking. We're together and just talking. I don't even remember what it's like to be anxious about him.

"Oh, don't make any plans for tomorrow night," he adds. "I've been scheming."

My smile must look ridiculous. I roll on my side and bite the tip of my thumb. "What is it?"

"Not telling."

"Aw boo."

"Nope, it's our first real date, and I have surprises."

Fuck me up.

"Well, should I bring anything? What should I wear?"

"Dress warm. Bring your pretty face." He's so cheeky. So stupid. I'm going to implode. "Don't worry, it'll be private. Just us two. I'm cashing in a favor."

Thank god, nothing public. No chance for the press to pry. We discussed keeping a low profile the other day. Lucky for him, that's my favorite pastime.

"Well, now that's all I'm going to think about," I tease. "How am I supposed to focus on Hop's match if I'm stuck wondering?"

He doesn't budge. "You'll find a way, I'm sure."

"Oh, speaking of…" I check the time. I'm meeting Sonia at the stadium in half an hour. "Will you be able to watch it?"

"Hoping so." He yawns. I wish he could sleep. "Asked Rai to record it in case they hold me over."

It’s bollocks. Bad enough they drag him all the way to Wyndon, they should at least let him see his brother’s match. It’s Hop’s first since his little soul-searching journey, and he should have everyone be there for him.

Might need to do a shot beforehand, but I’m braving the crowd.

Leon sighs, and it feels like a conclusion.

"Do you have to go now?" I ask, disappointed.

"Hmm, don’t want to," he grumbles. "These are going to be the slowest meetings ever."

I know what he means. "But hey, tomorrow."

"Yeah, tomorrow."

We say our goodbyes (it takes a bit) and when we finally hang up, my arms fall above my head in exasperation. I stare at the ceiling, finding pictures in the pattern.

There’s a different kind of ache in my chest. Brand new. I don’t hate it.

Tomorrow.

Sonia snagged us good seats. We’re near the bottom, close to Hop’s side of the pitch. Should have a clear view.

I've never been on this end of it before. Hop and I made a pact before not to watch each other's matches to keep our teams a secret, but that's fallen by the wayside. I'm here for him, people or no people.

God, I'm still uneasy, though. We're sandwiched in here, and I'm trying my hardest not to press against the lady next to me. At least I can blame my shaking on the cold.

I focus on Sonia.

"Blimey, I'm fit to leap into a hot spring after this." She rubs her gloved hands. "Clothes and all."

"Might have to join you. It's bloody brisk." I'm actually not that cold, but you know, conversation. Something I'm working on.

Sonia gives me a teasing glance. "Hm, might need a seperate one for you and your boo."

I have to giggle, because yes. That'd be ace.

"How are you getting on, by the way?"

I chew the inside of my cheek. "Fine. We talk just about every minute we can."

"That's great to hear!" Her smile is pleasant, almost too pleasant. She's come off as being too supportive, as if to go the extra mile to convince me she's okay with this. Or perhaps to convince herself. Hard to say.

She's the one who ended it, I try to remember. It was her call. And we're friends.

Still unsure how I'm supposed to talk to her about him.

Everything falls away when Hop walks on the pitch, my excitement for his battle overriding anxiety. He and Melony shake hands and take their positions, and I just swell with pride over my friend.

He’s gonna wreck shit.

I watch the match with my hands folded, pressed against my mouth like a proud mother. He’s confident, I can see it on the jumbotron. His matchups have improved. Corviknight against Frosmoth—perfect. A tanky Snorlax for Darmanitan and Eiscue—yes! Better movesets, better strategies. He beams. He’s advanced so much, and he knows it.

I hope Leon’s seeing this.

Words can’t express my joy when Wilma dynamaxes. Watching the best, fluffiest sheep become the biggest, best, fluffiest sheep? My eyes water. I try to hide it from Sonia, as it doesn’t quite mean the same to her.

It’s admittedly a rough go, since Lapras bounces off hits like rubber, but it eventually shrinks, and Hop leaps up in victory.

Then the crowd erupts, and I’m yanked from my bliss. There are people, so many people just… freaking out.

I’ve seen the match. I need to go.

I’m halfway through excusing myself when Sonia recognizes the look of panic on my face and encourages me to go. I thank her a dozen times.

Most of the audience members are still applauding, so only a few shuffle off with me. I practically charge through, making my way to the stadium lobby to wait for Hop and Sonia.

My destination is close when it catches my eye: a newsstand. I’m not much of a newsreader, but I’ve stared at magazine covers in the grocery store like anybody. Scandal stick out like a sore thumb.

There’s a tabloid. Someone snapped a photo of me and Leon kissing at Bob’s Your Uncle. We weren’t lowkey enough, and there it is. There it is, and I tear my eyes away, but I catch it spelled out in intense red lettering: SLEPT HER WAY INTO...

Whatever bubble I’ve been in for the last few days fucking pops. My head bows, and I nearly run. There’s a loo nearby, there has to be. Everyone must be looking, everyone’s going to recognize me. They’re staring, I can feel it. Half my vision fades. I can’t fucking breathe.

Running off somewhere to hide and cry. Why did I think this would end if I got with Leon?

The loo: my fucking sanctuary. I tear into the furthest stall and let out the first sob. My legs give out, and I nearly fall onto the toilet. I stay there. Might faint if I don’t.

Somebody just spied on me and just… fucking…

How could I have not considered this before? He’s damn-near the most famous person in Galar. The image of his face is blown up on the side of buildings, for fuck’s sake. I guess it just… feels like a character? When we’re alone, when we talk, I forget what he means to the rest of the region.

It’s not going to stop here, is it? There’ll be more cameras, and I’ll never see them. Then reporters, right? With the lenses right in my face. Interviews, the prospect of being followed…

I’m scared. I’m fucking terrified.

There’s nothing but the dirty floor, crying, and trembling.

I need help. I need anybody.

Scrambling, I shakily get out my phone. There’s something from Hop.

LAV THAT WAS MY FIRST SWEEP ALL SEASON!!!

In my desperation I type out a cry for help, but I have to stop.

God, he did so well. He’s so happy.

I can’t take this moment from him.

The backspace key gets a beating, and I replace my message with: Im so proud of you! Feelin rely sick so Im gonna li down but well celelbrate soon. I love you mate!!!

Can’t say anything to Sonia. She’ll tell Hop. Marnie beat Melony yesterday and left for Spikemuth already. No room to let a Pokemon out.

Leon. Bloody hell, I need Leon so bad, but he’s so busy. And he won’t be here until tomorrow. If I call, he’ll just be worried and muck up his commitments, and then Rose will be cross with him...

No. It’s just me. All I have right now is me.

So I hide in there for two hours.

I’m curled on the bed, wrapped in my Leon hoodie because yes, I still have the damn thing, and no, he still doesn’t know about it.

It’s absolutely not the same.

At least I can have my babies with me. Room’s too small for Cookie and Doc, and Fern’s too hyperactive to be trusted indoors, but Honey and Ingrid cuddle with me. Gretta guards the door, and I couldn’t wish for better security.

Curtains shut, everything locked. This is my hidey hole, and I refuse to leave until Leon arrives tomorrow.

Tomorrow.

For fuck’s sake, just get here already.

Zephyr clicks his claws on the nightstand, still restless. I open my arms in an invitation, and he takes it. Holding him is like coming home.

"Zephyr, baby…" I sniff. "Can you evolve soon for mama?" My eyes shut tight as I press my forehead against his. "Evolve and fly her away from everything? Take her somewhere safe?"

I think of Wilma’s evolution and wait for the glow. The room stays dim.

"It’s fine," I breathe. "You don’t have to if you’re not ready. Just…"

My phone vibrates. It’s from Leon, and I stare at his name for a minute because it’s comforting. I can hear my heartbeat.

Scratch that. Bring a swimsuit along with your pretty face. ;)

Oh god.

Not waiting until the end to get Lav and Leon together really opened a lot of doors. Instead of approaching this like, "Okay, the love interest is endgame, and that's our one goal," I realized I could just explore a bunch of other shit instead. Like the implications of dating one of the most famous people in the region. :D

We gettin' back to shameless territory next time, though.

Tookie

The Immoral Bard
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Poison, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
ah yes the galarian edition of the daily fail and their pervert cameras

in hindsight that bugaboo there was beyond inevitable but how dare :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)