• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Eight of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode bids adieu to another story and welcomes in a new one. Protagonists also star in our discussion segment!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Screenshot Kanto Breakin' The Lore: a Lorelocke of Fire Red (9/8/2020 - Part 4)

mewstein

Conqueror of the Ecruteak Gym
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019

Ever had a hard time choosing which soul to sacrifice to a Bide-ing Patrat? Do you sometimes find yourself torn between adding that feisty Ratatta or an arguably better ROI of Caterpie to your party? Well fret no more, the Lorelocke rules are here to help make the decision for you!...what? You decided to take that Caterpie because it’s cuter?!

The Lorelocke Rules

Conceived by @RubyClaw, this ruleset adds an extra layer of gravy to the combination of EVs, IVs, nature and ability that make each Pokemon unique. In brief, when a potential new capture is encountered, it is subject to a randomly selected rule from the Lorelocke manual. You might have stumbled across a Pidgey with Griffin Ancestry, or an Ekans with the Glare Of The Basilisk rule for example. Lorelocke rules can have a positive or negative effect on a Pokemon’s usability or its synergy with the rest of your team. They’re also based on some cool mythology and folklore from around the world too...so ya might just, ya know, learn something…

All the usual Nuzlocke rules will be in place in addition to the Lorelocke ones, and I’ll also be playing both Shiny and Dupes clauses. The game I picked was Fire Red, as my laptop would have a hernia trying to run a HeartGold ROM. Hopefully I’ll be able to spin this journey into a tale that amuses you, convinces you to try your own Lorelocke, or at least distracts you for a few minutes from Twitter.

Let’s go!

Rats! Foiled again by arbitrary character limits. Gee, this reminds me of attempting to make overly verbose profile posts on a certain forum…

Okay, Rival 1 - Mewstein 0. Now I REALLY have to crush you.

Pallet Town

Down at the lab, and under Oak's watchful eye I choose Bulbasaur because....well, he’s my favourite of the Kanto starters. Plus I’ll feel a little less ashamed if I lose this ‘Locke with Bulbasaur rather than Charmander for some reason. Now it was time to determine what Lorelocke rule this fine fella would be subjected to:

2! That is…(hurriedly scrolling through the Lorelocke pdf)... Chosen of Heqet:

“While this pokemon is in your party you may cancel the lore rule of every Water pokemon in your party and the effect of lore rules of Water type pokemon as you catch them. You may ignore the dupe clause when you choose to and try and catch a pokemon you already have (you must declare whether you want to catch the pokemon before attempting to capture it and revealing its lore rule).”

Imhotep the Bulbasaur also has a Modest nature, but I’m sure we’ll allow him to brag a little about his victory over Nemesissssss’s’s’s’s Charmander.

Victory!

Route 1

After the obligatory delivery trip (I assume Amazon hasn’t yet infiltrated Kanto), we cast all fear of Lyme Disease aside and plunge into the grass of Route 1 armed with Pokeballs and potions. The first capture of this run will be:

A Pidgey! And a swift trip to the random number generator reveals she’s a Peacekeeping Dove Pidgey.

“This pokemon can’t have more than 2 damage dealing moves. You are not allowed to open a trainer battle using this pokemon.”

Hm, that’s going to limit her movepool and make her less useful when navigating the more populated routes of Kanto, but by Lorelocke standards this is pretty tame stuff. I catch her, and put her on the team. The Kanto Pokedex entry is quite fitting for our feathered pacifist:

However, Dove also has a Naughty nature...I imagine she’s one of those passive-aggressive types that like to stop traffic by sitting in the middle of roads in the name of climate change. That enhanced Attack stat will ensure her limited attacking moves will pack a wallop though.

After grinding Dove and Imhotep to level 9, we head over to Route 22 to confront Nemesis a second time.

Route 22

Lurking in the grass is the second capture du jour:

Rodon't you....never mind.

This critter also happens to be a Colo Colo, and according to Googlapedia: "The Colo Colo or Colocolo is an evil rat-like creature from Mapuche mythology." The Colo Colo rules are pretty evil too:

“As long as your Ratatta/Raticate is in your party choose another victim pokemon from your party. The chosen pokemon can't stay in battle for more than 4 consecutive turns. If it stays for more kill it in the end of battle.”

Yikes, to the box with you for now buddy - at least until we find something that allows me to cancel that particular rule...

If you start killing my team, I'm renaming you Pepsi.

And with the Nemesis battle looming on the horizon like a cloud of Storm Herald Weezings, that’s where we’ll leave the quest for now. Join me next time on this magical, mythical journey!

Party 'mons
Imhotep, Modest natured Bulbasaur
While this pokemon is in your party you may cancel the lore rule of every Water pokemon in your party and the effect of lore rules of Water type pokemon as you catch them. You may ignore the dupe clause when you choose to and try and catch a pokemon you already have (you must declare whether you want to catch the pokemon before attempting to capture it and revealing its lore rule).

Dove, Naughty natured Pidgey
This pokemon can’t have more than 2 damage dealing moves. You are not allowed to open a trainer battle using this pokemon.

Boxed 'mons
ColoCola, Relaxed natured Ratatta
As long as your Ratatta/Raticate is in your party choose another victim pokemon from your party. The chosen pokemon can't stay in battle for more than 4 consecutive turns. If it stays for more kill it in the end of battle.

Last edited:

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
Ooh, nice to see another lorelocke on the forums. Bad luck with that Colo Colo, though -- I personally despise getting that lore rule.

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker and Nuzlocke Completionist
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
I love the banner, and that rabid Sandslash is one of the scariest pokemon I have ever seen :P. I do hope you won't come across one of these.

I'm super excited about this run (and it is always great to see other folks use the lorerules, especially the Lorelocke's official artist! Who happens to be a good friend of mine :P ). Hopefully you'll get as many lore rules that you have made a drawn version of as possible. Already a great start with Dove.

It will also be great that someone could show the more "casual" side of the rules and focus on the game-play, unlike my own story heavy run (and combined with your marvelous humor it will sure be fun to follow). Can't wait to see more.

If you don't mind I'll end every comment here with remarks about the rules if I have any. Feel free to ignore them for your own current game, but I think it could be a nice opportunity to talk about the mechanics of the lore rules, fixes and balances that I'm considering, my behind the scenes thoughts, and any common misinterpretations of the rules.

Design note - The Colo Colo - This is a rather harsh rule for a common and not very powerful pokemon like Rattata. I did try to make this line's rule rather positive (two are positive rules, one isn't that bad, and Colocolo is probably the worse, overall a rather positive balance), to encourage people to use it. I will consider either making this rule just a bit less weak, or adding a condition that will remove it, we'll see. Though giving weak early pokemon harsh rules do make them the perfect lorerule cannon fodder for rules that require sacrifice, and make sure every game is different as you won't automatically use this pokemon no matter that lore rule it gets.

Design note - Chosen of Heqet - If I were to make the lore rules today I would have probably avoided giving such a powerful Chosen rule to the best starter of the region. True I later gave Totodile the "Chosen of Tiamat" rule, but I made sure it also has downsides. Starters are strong enough as is (especially Bulbasaur in Kanto) so I usually try to make sure their lore rules are at least challenging. Still I got a lot of positive feedback about this rule on Bulbasaur from players who used it, and I do like it's flavor, so the only thing I am considering is adding a negative effect to it just to make it a tiny bit more interesting. We'll see in the future.

Slight error - I think you missed one of the lore rule options for Bulbasaur as it has 4, not 3.

Tip to mewstein - Notice the Peacekeeper rule only affects trainer battles (to avoid making grinding extremely annoying for this pokemon).

mewstein

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Trollkitten - Great to have you on board! I imagine that, alongside RubyClaw, you’ve had the most experience in playing these rules. I have a feeling the Colo Colo curse is just the first of many curved balls these rules will throw at me…

@Time Master Eon - Hopefully my Kanto capers won’t scare too many people off trying the Lorelocke for themselves!

@RubyClaw - I’m glad you like the banner - although this run might further distract me from drawing more critters for the Lorelcoke manual... And do feel free to add as much information as you like about the design of the rules, and the mythology behind them. Personally I quite like the Rattata rule, although I wouldn’t risk using ColoCola as cannon fodder - I think she’ll just be allowed to chill in the PC until I find some way of de-Colo Coloing her. Like you, now I’ve started, I’m quite excited to see what this run will have in store.

Route 22

"For every man - or preteen girl - awaits nemesis…"

Welcome back to a rather mythologically-compromised Kanto. As we head down Route 22, Nemesis makes his grand entrance and demands satisfaction. Since Dove’s Lorelocke rule prevents her from being my lead for trainer battles I send out Imhotep, with a vague plan of reserving Dove for when Charmander appears.

First up is Pidgey. In times gone by I would’ve Tackle-spammed this bird into submission, but having recently been introduced to the joys of implementing a good stalling strategy (mostly while building Poison-centred decks in Slay The Spire on Steam), I have Imhotep set up Leech Seed, Growl a few times, then started to chip away at Pidgey’s HP with a Tackle or five.

Whoops

After a rather-too-close for comfort crit and a swiftly applied Potion, Pidgey is down.

Next up is Charmander, and I decide to let Imhotep keep fighting, at least until Charmander unleashes it's first Ember.

Get comfortable, this could take some time.

The dreaded Ember attack never seems to materialise however, so Imhotep ends up beating Team Nemesis single handed (single clawed?).

At least you weren't forcced to cut the last letter off your name!

Pausing briefly at Viridian City’s mart to stock up on the usual journey accoutrements, we head on over to Route 2 for our next brush with destiny.

Route 2

I never normally play with the Dupes clause, but it is advised to do so with a Lorelocke as some of the rules can affect it - Imhotep’s Chosen Of Heqet trait gives you the option to waive it, for example. Several Pidgeys and Ratattas later, a new face finally emerges.

Oh yikes, Caterpie could be a Grass-type-munching Lord of Agricultural Pests - with this rule there’s a 30% chance Imhotep (and any other grass type I own) could die. However, catching a Caterpie now would improve my chances of getting something a bit more interesting later on due to Dupes Clause. Ever the gambler, I decide to risk it…

The random number generator spits out a 5, meaning this wee crawly critter is … a Bad Omen. Nope, hold the phone, only Butterfree can have that rule and the manual instructs me to try again. One hasty re-randomisation later, and we discover that this Caterpie is of the Living Soul variety instead:

"Only comes in effect as a Butterfree and when you have your first dead pokemon. Randomize a pokemon you had who died. This pokemon is the reincarnation of its soul and it gains its lore rule (choose only a pokemon with a rule that can make sense mechanically for this Butterfree). In addition to that, it must have at least two Psychic/Ghost type moves if possible."

Let’s hope that ColoCola isn’t the first casualty, I wouldn't want my Butterfree to catch the Colo Colo Virus.

I’d already grown rather attached to the Omen theme...

Without looking I can’t remember whether Butterfree learns Confusion right off the bat in Fire Red, but regardless I decide to let Damien ride shotgun for a while to gain experience as the rest of my team are getting rather overleveled. Up ahead lies the Green Inferno itself - Viridian Forest!

Viridian Forest

I’m so very glad a Caterpie can’t have the Bad Omen trait, which would’ve forced me to forego my Viridian Forest capture. Ladies and gentlemen, my very first encounter, without even resorting to Dupes Clause is:

I’d forgotten Pikachus frequent this forest!

The random Number generator gives me a 2. With sweaty palms I grab my iPad and scroll down, down, down... to the Pikachu entry. And with a 2, this Pikachu is destined to go down in the history books as a Tiny Hoarder

"(Relevant only in games with held items, if not reroll). This pokemon can only hold Berries. Must learn the move Thief if possible."

With a little coaxing and gentle persuasion, I now have a New Best Friend. Cache the Pikachu is also a dream to train in Viridian Forest, as her Thundershock demolishes Harden-spamming Kakunas and Metapods. Speaking of which:

And right on cue, the very next battle is against this smart-ass:

No shit, Sherlock

A few more Bug Catchers later we experience another Lorelocke quirk:

Dove’s Peacekeeping Dove rule prevents her from knowing more than two damaging moves - but she automatically learnt Quick Attack, making her movepool Tackle, Gust, Sand Attack and Quick Attack. Until I can find a way to overwrite Tackle with something non-damaging, I’ll just avoid using it.

Rule-wrangling complete, and after a little more grinding, we traipse wearily into Pewter City.

Pewter City

I heal my team, and consider gym battle tactics. Dove can’t lead my team, and with her typing she’s about as useful as a damp sock full of cotton wool against Brock’s arsenal. Ditto Cache, and Damien hasn’t emerged from his cocoon yet. It looks like this will be a one-’mon show starring Imhotep, just like the earlier Nemesis battle.

There’s just time for one last thing:

I can never resist these.

We enter the gym and are first confronted by that famed virtuoso of quantum physics, Camper Liam.

Did you get your degree from the Open University, Liam?

I use the battle to snatch a little further grinding for Damien, but he’s still a little way from gaining his wings just yet. Liam’s Geodude and Sandshrew are swiftly whipped into submission by Imhotep’s trusty vines, leaving a clear path to the big man himself, Brock.

...whom we shall meet in Part 3. Stay tuned!

Party 'mons

Imhotep, Modest natured Bulbasaur - Pallet Town
While this pokemon is in your party you may cancel the lore rule of every Water pokemon in your party and the effect of lore rules of Water type pokemon as you catch them. You may ignore the dupe clause when you choose to and try and catch a pokemon you already have (you must declare whether you want to catch the pokemon before attempting to capture it and revealing its lore rule).

Dove, Naughty natured Pidgey - Route 1
This pokemon can’t have more than 2 damage dealing moves. You are not allowed to open a trainer battle using this pokemon.

Damien, Relaxed natured Metapod - Route 2
Only comes in effect as a Butterfree and when you have your first dead pokemon. Randomize a pokemon you had who died. This pokemon is the reincarnation of its soul and it gains its lore rule (choose only a pokemon with a rule that can make sense mechanically for this Butterfree). In addition to that, it must have at least two Psychic/Ghost type moves if possible.

Cache, Lax natured Pikachu - Viridian Forest
(Relevant only in games with held items, if not reroll). This pokemon can only hold Berries. Must learn the move Thief if possible.

Boxed 'mons

ColoCola, Relaxed natured Ratatta - Route 22
As long as your Ratatta/Raticate is in your party choose another victim pokemon from your party. The chosen pokemon can't stay in battle for more than 4 consecutive turns. If it stays for more kill it in the end of battle.

Last edited:

sky_

life is a trip alright
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
this ghost tries to be cool and kinda angsty, but ends up keysmashing about cute things anyway. they may project a bit too much onto their writing.
Did you get your degree from the Open University, Liam?
sa.kjdfhdsfj i feel like the OU would still fail this kid ;p

so i came here after seeing ur Lorelocke art, and this is really interesting! I like how much the rules can alter some of these creature's usability entirely. I personally agree that the rule for Ratatta maaaaay be a little harsh considering that it's a common and not amazing Pokemon anyway, but it's entirely your call. i look forward to whatever comes next xD

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Great update. Some really lucky catches both when it comes to the pokemon themselves and their lore rules. "A living soul" if manipulated wisely and with some luck can actually turn into a pretty positive rule. Tiny hoarder de facto usually means this pokemon can't use held items (with all the respect I have to berries, and it is especially true in berry poor games like FRLG) which can hurt but isn't that bad, and Thief isn't such a terrible move to teach Pikachu anyway.

@io_ Yep, I tend to agree, even though having some strictly bad lorerules is important to keep the randomization factor meaningful. I'm currently working on update 1.13 which will be release soon so I'll consider changing it a bit for that update, we'll see. If not I'll add myself a note to play test this rule specifically and see how problematic it actually is for future updates.

Keep up the good work! Show Brock the true meaning of 4X weakness friendship!

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Lorelocke! Lorelocke! It's such an intimidating ruleset that I could never run, but that's why I'm drawn to lorelockes, like a moth to a flame....

Chosen of Heqet, I feel, is a great lorerule for a starter, and considering the lack of ice types for Lance (thinking way ahead here, perhaps to my detriment), we'll probably be relying on water types for that coverage, so it's nice to have a water-type-friendly lorerule right off the bat!

As for the Peacekeeping Pidgey, luckily, the line doesn't have too many attacking options anyway. Except... Does "only two attacking moves" include HMs? I mean, luckily, this is not a generation where you need Defog (a Sinnoh lorelocke, while thematically cool, seems like gameplay hell because of the sheer number of HMs it requires).

ColoCola, chilling in the PC:
Living Soul is an interesting rule. I'm sure more experienced players can keep it in mind during those "Who do I sacrifice?" moments, but those always elicit too much panic in me for any smart plays to come out during them. :P

Oh my goodness, a Pikachu in a nuzlocke? That never happens! Look out, Hardening Metapod, Thundershock is gonna get ya!

Too true, but. Ouch.

mewstein

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
@BadgerDaddy I almost spat a mouthful of coffee into my laptop when Cache appeared - normally I have the worst track record when it comes to finding rare or shiny Pokemon. But as you’ll see in this part, Fire Red seems determined to screw with me…

@sky_ It was partly thanks to the lovely comment you left on my art thread that convinced me to come out of hibernation! I agree, the Lorelocke rules have turned what could’ve been a fairly standard Kanto run into something a bit more spicy - I hope you enjoy!

@RubyClaw Thank you! As you’ll see a little later, Cache’s staunch Pikachu morality means she can’t learn Thief - I guess more of these little details will come to light as I play.

@Bowser's Family Vacation - What an adorable rat! As a teenager I owned a small plague’s worth of them - Nipper, Marley, Buster, Ratamon, Bryan O’Ryan, Hairy Rug...the naming got progressively more imaginative as time went on. As for Dove’s rule, I would interpret that as including damaging HMs, although it’ll be up to RubyClaw if he deems it too harsh in later generations. Oh and my message would’ve read ‘This Vacation Is Awful-ly Good Company’ on the profile thingy if I'd been allowed a few more words - honest!

Pewter City

It’s rumble time in Pewter City gym! My team is:

Imhotep the Bulbasaur, lv12
Damien the Metapod, lv9
Dove the Pidgey, lv13
Cache the Pikachu, lv9

And with Imhotep at my side, what could possibly go wrong?

Ahem.

In all the excitement I’d forgotten to take Damien out of the hot seat - and Imhotep receives a Tackle for my blunder.

Let's try that again.

That minor hiccup aside, ‘Tep quickly dispatches Geodude and grows to level 13. He then delivers an encore performance to Onix, so swiftly that I’m unable to capture any screenshots of the battle in progress apart from the aftermath:

Brock concedes defeat and relinquishes the Boulder Badge - and I feel somewhat dirty at how easy this first gym battle has been. Still, better to play safe for now...think of how differently things could’ve turned out if Damien had received the Lord Of Agricultural Pests rule and gone on to kill Imhotep before we’d got as far as Viridian Forest!

We had East, where I’m greeted by a man in a white coat:

This doesn’t bode well.

Fortunately he’s just playing errand-boy to Mom and hands over a pair of running shoes. I make haste towards Mount Moon before he gets any other ideas...

Route 3

We hit the rocky trail, where Damien and Cache tag-team to clear the route of Bug Catchers and that unique breed of paranoid Lass that seems to inhabit this bit of Kanto.

Finally Damien emerges from his cocoon in a blaze of light and learns a move that will be very useful in the Zubat-infested cave that lies ahead.

I spot a likely-looking patch of grass, and prepare to make my Route 3 capture. The first thing that pops out is:

Okay! Maybe not as useful as a Mankey or a Nidoran, but I’ve never trained one of these karaoke-loving balls of fluff before - so it certainly has the novelty-factor going for it. But in the Lorelocke setting there’s a one in three chance a Jigglypuff could have the deleterious Humpty Dumpty rule and therefore a 50% chance it could die when being boxed or forced to switch in battle. And with Damien now a fully functional Living Soul he’d inherit this rule if Jigglypuff was my first casualty. I peek at the random number generator…

Phew! A 2 means this Jigglypuff is a Fairytale Teller:

“This pokemon finds joy in spreading folklore stories and fairy tales and is familiar with all the known legends. Must have at least 1 Fairy Move if possible. Must have at least 1 Psychic move or Sing if possible. After it evolves into Wigglytuff - Once in the game you may choose the lore rule of a pokemon as you attempt to capture it (before and instead of randomizing it).”

Being able to cancel a rule later on could be very handy once the team-building begins in earnest. Cache paralyses him, I Pokeball him, and we have a new pal.

A reference to Hans Chrisitan Andersen, who wrote Snow White, The Ugly Duckling, etc.

At this point the jury’s still out as to whether I’ll box or train this little chap as my Mount Moon capture is rapidly approaching. Hans is also holding an Oran berry which must be relinquished to our resident Tiny Hoarder, Cache. First we stop by the Route 4 Pokecenter to heal up and make the obligatory Magikarp purchase:

The Lorelocke rules are quite cruel to Magikarp - there’s a 1 in 2 chance it could be bound by the Leaping Over The Dragon Gate rule, preventing our fickle fish from evolving until Surf, Fly or Waterfall is used for the first time. However, as I’m sure you deduced from her nickname, Grace got the Grace Of The Koi rule instead:

“Whenever you are near water you can choose to link or relink Magikarp with one pokemon on your team, and that pokemon loses its lorelocke as long as it is linked. (Can only have one pokemon linked to it at a time, and lose this ability and the link when it evolves into Gyarados). It can't have more than two physical moves (even after it evolves).”

Regardless, since she’s only level 5, the smart option seems to be to concentrate on the rest of my team. Grace is sent to the PC to keep ColoCola the Ratatta company.

Mt Moon

Now, when helping RubyClaw formulate the Lorelocke rules, there were some Pokemon I was convinced would be too rare or hard to obtain to ever be caught in a legitimate Nuzlocke (see: Cache the Pikachu). However, once again Fire Red was to prove me wrong:

I shit you not. My jaw almost hit my keyboard - I can’t seem to take five steps without tripping over a rare Pokemon in this game! According to the manual, Clefairy can have one of several useful rules that will allow me to cancel another Pokemon’s rule - this would be useful to cure Dove of her restrictive Peacekeeping, for example. However, if it gets the Comes From The Fairy Realm rule, a random member of my party (along with the Clefairy) will be banished to the PC until the next gym leader is defeated - and I don’t fancy cutting anyone from my team at this stage. Fortunately the random number for this capture is a 4: Fairytale Teller, just like Hans!

“This pokemon finds joy in spreading folklore stories and fairy tales and is familiar with all the known legends. Must have at least 1 Fairy Move if possible. Must have at least 1 Psychic move or Sing if possible. After it evolves into Clefable - Once in the game you may choose the lore rule of a pokemon as you attempt to capture it (before and instead of randomizing it).”

...I’m starting to think this run is a bit of a fairy tale.

Back to the battle, and Damien does a significant amount of damage with a Tackle attack and Clefairy responds with an Encore. I really don’t want to risk doing any further harm to this little beauty so I chuck a Pokeball...

Oh lord, don’t tell me this thing is going to be impossible to catch

And another….

And he’s mine!

[citation needed]

I name him Grimm, after the pair of brothers who wrote Little Red Riding Hood and Rumplestiltskin - and briefly ponder on which shade of pink will be the best addition to the team:

It’s gotta be Grimm - even with only one level’s difference, his stats trounce poor little Hans’s. And that generous Special Attack stat will boost any Psychic attacks he learns as a Fairytale Teller.

Grimm also proves to be quite scrappy, and is quickly able to handle the Route 3 Mankeys and Spearows he encounters during a spot of grinding - pretty impressive, maybe he’ll have a role beyond that of Team Mascot…

Once he hits level 12 I head back to Mount Moon, where we encounter more angsty Lasses, more Bug Catchers and their specimens and several skulking Team Rocket members.

Check out Edgy McEdgeFace over here...

A Super Nerd’s Magnemite highlights my team’s lack of a counter to Steel types:

My inelegant solution is to spam it with Imhotep’s Grass type moves - fortunately Steel types in Kanto aren’t much of a threat. A little further on, Cache tangles with a Bellsprout, and her Lax nature (+Def, - SpDef) means she’s surprisingly vulnerable to a well-placed Vine Whip:

Aaack!

Another aspect of Cache’s Tiny Hoarder rule is that she must learn Thief if given the chance, and I discover the TM for that very move in the depths of Mount Moon.

However, it appears that Thief and Cache are incompatible - Cache seems unwilling to Break any Lores of her own.

I was a little confused at first, but now realise that other Pokemon with the Tiny Hoarder rule (i.e. Male Nidoran) are probably able to learn it. Another notable find is a Moon Stone, which will be useful for evolving Hans or Grimm, thus activating their Fairy Tale Teller rule, allowing me to pick the Lore rule of an encounter.

Eventually we spot daylight up ahead, and there’s just one more white coated man who stands between us and the end of this dungeon.

Which fossil shall we pilfer? Find out in Part 4!

Party 'mons

Imhotep, Modest natured Bulbasaur - Pallet Town

Dove, Naughty natured Pidgey - Route 1

Damien, Relaxed natured Metapod - Route 2

Only comes in effect as a Butterfree and when you have your first dead pokemon. Randomize a pokemon you had who died. This pokemon is the reincarnation of its soul and it gains its lore rule (choose only a pokemon with a rule that can make sense mechanically for this Butterfree). In addition to that, it must have at least two Psychic/Ghost type moves if possible.

(Relevant only in games with held items, if not reroll). This pokemon can only hold Berries. Must learn the move Thief if possible.

Grimm, Serious natured Clefairy - Mount Moon

This pokemon finds joy in spreading folklore stories and fairy tales and is familiar with all the known legends. Must have at least 1 Fairy Move if possible. Must have at least 1 Psychic move or Sing if possible. After it evolves into Wigglytuff - Once in the game you may choose the lore rule of a pokemon as you attempt to capture it (before and instead of randomizing it).

Boxed 'mons

Hans, Jolly natured Jigglypuff - Route 3

This pokemon finds joy in spreading folklore stories and fairy tales and is familiar with all the known legends. Must have at least 1 Fairy Move if possible. Must have at least 1 Psychic move or Sing if possible. After it evolves into Wigglytuff - Once in the game you may choose the lore rule of a pokemon as you attempt to capture it (before and instead of randomizing it).

Grace, Relaxed natured Magikarp - Route 4

Whenever you are near water you can choose to link or relink Magikarp with one pokemon on your team, and that pokemon loses its lorelocke as long as it is linked. (Can only have one pokemon linked to it at a time, and lose this ability and the link when it evolves into Gyarados). It can't have more than two physical moves (even after it evolves).

Last edited:

sky_

life is a trip alright
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
this ghost tries to be cool and kinda angsty, but ends up keysmashing about cute things anyway. they may project a bit too much onto their writing.
It was partly thanks to the lovely comment you left on my art thread that convinced me to come out of hibernation!
aaaaaaaa omg that's so sweet of u thank u ldfhgvjfdhxgvfdghfj i'm glad i could help! xD
Still, better to play safe for now...how differently things could’ve turned out if Damien had received the Lord Of Agricultural Pests rule and gone on to kill Imhotep
oh wow that. that is dangerous holy shit, just having your Starter dead like that. honestly if I was playing a nuzlocke where a Pokemon could have a rule like that, I might just constantly avoid capturing that Pokemon and skipping that route's encounter D:
- Once in the game you may choose the lore rule of a pokemon as you attempt to capture it (before and instead of randomizing it).”
hello this is awesome and I love it so much
I shit you not. My jaw almost hit my keyboard - I can’t seem to take five steps without tripping over a rare Pokemon in this game!
sd;fdjghdhjg legit not only have you been lucky in terms of rare Pokemon, but lucky also in terms of lorelocke rules like - you have gotten all the fairly nice rules for the Pokemon so far xD fingers crossed that this continues!
Check out Edgy McEdgeFace over here..
so much heccing Edge

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
think of how differently things could’ve turned out if Damien had received the Lord Of Agricultural Pests rule and gone on to kill Imhotep before we’d got as far as Viridian Forest!

Good thing we're not in that universe, though!

We hit the rocky trail, where Damien and Cache tag-team to clear the route of Bug Catchers and that unique breed of paranoid Lass that seems to inhabit this bit of Kanto.

Excuse you! Maybe she just has shypox!

Aw, Hans and Grimm are both adorable little storytellers! I'm sure they'll be best-

...When looking for GIFs of Jigglypuff and Clefairy together, this is all I found. ._. Stiff bard competition here. Too bad Hans is not nearly as strong as the Pokemon anime's Jigglypuff. XD

As for Cache's Pikachu morality, don't worry—Raichu are far more willing to roll Rogues.

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Woohoo! Another great update, and poor Brock loses to yet another Bulbasaur. Man luck has been on your side so far, a fairy tale coming true! I wonder what pokemon will earn the honor of having their lorerule determined. This can be a priceless ability if used in the right time, but saving it for too long can be risky as well.

@Bowser's Family Vacation - Thank you so much for you kind words! I hope this run will show you the lorelocke isn't as intimidating as it seems 🙂. Also that rodent is adorable!

@sky_ -
oh wow that. that is dangerous holy shit, just having your Starter dead like that. honestly if I was playing a nuzlocke where a Pokemon could have a rule like that, I might just constantly avoid capturing that Pokemon and skipping that route's encounter D:
That's exactly what I was aiming for, making you consider it at least. Though a little spoiler - in update 1.13 I'm going to introduce a more hardcore variant of the rules for those who seek more challenge that will ban you of doing exactly that :3spooky:

Slight error/Tip to mewstein/Design Note about "Tiny Hoarder" -
However, it appears that Thief and Cache are incompatible - Cache seems unwilling to Break any Lores of her own. I was a little confused at first, but now realise that other Pokemon with the Tiny Hoarder rule (i.e. Male Nidoran) are probably able to learn it. Another notable find is a Moon Stone, which will be useful for evolving Hans or Grimm, thus activating their Fairy Tale Teller rule, allowing me to pick the Lore rule of an encounter.
Well you are both sort of right and very much wrong 😁. True there are some lorerules that I made to fit to more than one pokemon and therefore some of their conditions can't fit a specific pokemon who has them (I made it so to keep it both consistent so you could easily remember, and interesting when things mess around with lore rules like your "Living Soul" rule for example). Also true that Pikachu can't learn Thief in FRLG. However A) It can in Gen 8. B) and more importantly, Raichu very much can! So once you'll get your hands on a Thudnerstone you'll very much need to teach it Thief (and as I wrote this Bowser's Family Vacation wisely mentioned just that). Also nitpicking here as always, but Nidoran can't learn this rule (you probably remember one of my beta versions).

But thanks to you pointing out all this to me I decided to tweak with this rule a bit for the upcoming update 1.13 and change it so that it can be either Thief or Natural Gift to make it more interesting (even though it is only relevant from gen 4 forward).

mewstein

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
@sky_
The Vile Poison rule (found on Weedle, Ekans, the Nideorans etc.) is similarly nasty - it has a 30% chance of killing any of your non-Poison/Steel types that were damaged by it ... and this rises to 50% if they were poisoned by it!

so much heccing Edge
Team Rocket: more edge than a Calabi-Yau Manifold...

@BadgerDaddy: Oh boy, I hope you didn’t just jinx me for this next update!

@Bowser's Family Vacation: Brilliant, now I’m imagining Grimm and Hans laying the sick burns down on each other in a Jigglypuff-Clefairy rap battle! And well spotted on the Thief TM issue - I’m sure hanging out with my team of miscreants would eventually corrupt the most pious soul...

@RubyClaw You make a good point regarding waiting too long to evolve Grimm - there’s every chance he'll end up in the Big PC Box In The Sky before he gets to do so! Incidentally oh Loremaster, if he evolved and then died, would I still get to use my Fairytale Teller Clause to pick the lorerule of an encounter?

Mount Moon

Part 4 finds us in the bowels of Mount Moon about to indulge in a spot of that playground pastime beloved by bullies everywhere throughout the ages: Beating Up Nerds For Fun And Profit.

Oh pardon me - Beating Up Super Nerds For Fun And Profit

Super Nerd Miguel sends out a Grimer, Imhotep misses with his Leech Seed attack, and the canny blob of slime Disables the move.

Not a great start, but Imhotep eventually wears Grimer down with repeated Tackles. Miguel sends out a Koffing, and with Imhotep’s health already a sickly shade of orange I switch to Damien who flexes his useful new Confusion attack.

It does the job, and Damien carries on to blow the mind of Migual’s Voltorb too. The Nerd’s team is down!

Atta bug.

Imhotep seems a little jaded that the spotlight has shifted away from him for five minutes and so grows a bit bigger and pinker.

Grimm will be impressed!

Finally it’s decision time - do I go Dome or Helix? Kabutops’s mediocre Special Attack stat means he’s pretty lousy as a Water type in Gen III, but a choppy Attack stat doubled with a fair Defence and Speed means he’s no glass cannon, and he learns a nice variety of Ground, Grass and Rock moves. However, some of the possible Lorelocke rules hinder Kabutops’s ability to grind - the Dimachareus rule prevents healing items from being used on him, and the Kani Oni rule prevents him switching out until he has used a damaging move on the foe.

Meanwhile, the bulkier option of Omastar has a more restricted movepool but a superior Special Attack stat - he’d probably last longer in battle, thus buying me time to formulate a cunning plan in a pinch. His Lorelocke rules are rather bloody with both Cetus and Descendant of Yaoshikepu /Akkorokamui demanding sacrifices to satisfy them. But while I have Imhotep at my side, his Chosen Of Heqet rule allows me to cancel the Lorelocke rules of any Water-types on my party... assuming he’s still alive by the time we get to Cinnabar Island lab, that it!

I wish I could say I thought long and hard on this conundrum, but -

Helix fossil it is!

Route 4

We emerge into daylight on Route 4 and grab Mega Punch for Grimm and Mega Kick for Cache from the two sparing dudes in the secluded little area to the north of the route. I also discover a Razz Berry in the grass - which Cache swipes.

Did you just call my Pikachu a Berry Pouch?!

There are no trainers to be found so I ready my Pokeballs, head into the grass… and a Spearow emerges (and in my excitement I appear to have saved over the screenshot. D’oh!). Now, Spearows can be subjected to the Griffin Ancestry rule which includes a Wedlocke aspect, which could be fun... however this feathered fiend turns out to be an Oni Blood Spearow:

“Must have at least 1 Dark type move if possible. Must have at least 1 Fighting type move if possible. Must use at least one damaging move before it can be switched out of battle. If it is hit by a Fairy type move it must switch out as soon as possible.”

Similar to the Kani Oni rule this will make grinding rather risky from the beginning, but a Fearow could be useful later on. I catch him and decide to stick Diablo the freshly-captured Spearow in the PC when we get to the next PokeCentre...

Cerulean City

Grimm and Cache are getting the ’Don’t Talk To Strange Men’ lecture at the next possible opportunity.

Coming up soon is the third Nemesis battle and my team doesn’t have a hard counter for his Charmander which is sure to remember to use Ember this time. Damien and Imhotep are both vulnerable to fire of course, Cache’s lax nature means her Special Defence isn’t great, and (although Fairy types don’t exist in Gen III) I have a feeling Charmander would be too hot for Grimm to handle. I decide to grind Dove to level 18 to give her the evo edge.

Primed and ready we head North, and right on cue:

First up is Nemesis’s own Pidgeotto, whom I’d hoped Cache could handle single-pawed.

It hits hard with a Quick Attack, Cache loses about a third of her health - and her static paralyzes it. She responds with a Thundershock, which takes Pidgeotto to just over half strength...it looks like this won’t be a two-hit KO after all. I switch to Imhotep to finish the job.

Next up is the dreaded Charmander, and I let Imhotep soften it up with a Vine Whip - probably a mistake on my part as despite his Modest nature it does very little - and a single Ember takes him down to under half health! I switch to Dove, my ace, sharpish. There’s a bit of a tussle, and suddenly -

Our first death!

Poor Dove, you were so close to victory! Grimm avenges his fallen comrade with a very satisfying Mega Kick.

With Nemesis’s strongest pair of monsters down, the next round sees Imhotep Leech Seed Abra into oblivion while it repeatedly attempts to Teleport and Grimm finishes the show with a bit of Ratatta-busting.

Nemesis skips off to whatever nefarious deeds he has planned for the day and I sadly make my way to the Pokemon centre to lay Dove to rest. Meanwhile Damien, as a Living Soul, inherits Dove’s Peacekeeping Dove rule meaning he can no longer be my lead in trainer battles and can only have two damaging attacks. For a relatively fragile ‘mon specialising in status moves, that’s not too terrible a blow.

Dove’s demise opens up a slot on the team, possibly for another flyer. Diablo would be a good candidate but I’m a little wary that his Oni Blood will make him difficult to train (he’ll be unable to switch without landing a damaging move first). If I’d evolved Grimm before reaching Route 4 his Fairytale Teller ability would have granted me the opportunity to pick Diablo’s rule…hindsight is 20/20 as they say. However, we still have Routes 24 and 25 to investigate before the next gym battle, so I decide to keep my team as it is for now. We’re not entirely sunk on the Pidgey/Pidgeotto front as Imhotep’s Chosen of Heqet rule lets me waive the Dupes Clause - and for an extra advantage I give Grimm his Moon Stone.

Grimm v2.0! Now with more pointy-bits!

Route 24

With their levels hovering around 17-18 after their duel with Nemesis, my team shrug the rest of the trainers on the bridge off pretty lightly and we’re rewarded with a Nugget for our efforts (and an offer we have no choice but to refuse). It’s capture time once again, and the first thing to emerge from the grass is:

Ah, this could be tricky. I could use Grimm’s Fairytale Teller rule to choose the Lorerule of this critter, but if it escapes (which is highly likely) that’d be a waste of a good opportunity for later on. I decide to waive the Grimm Clause for this battle, and one randomisation later we find out this Abra is a Trickster Magician:

“This pokemon specializes in stage magic and tricks. If you fail to catch it, throw away items worth 5000 pokeyen. As long as it is in your party after every gym battle randomly switch the held items of all your pokemon with each other and you can’t remove these items. Must know the move Trick if possible. Loses this lore rule when evolves into Alakazam.”

Well, drat. And one failed Pokeball later it teleports from battle, leaving me to toss my hard-earned Nugget (which is valued at the 5000 Pokeyen penalty).

Goodbye wealth. This reminds me of buying Bitcoin in 2018…

Pockets considerably lighter, it’s on to Route 25 and our next catch.

Route 25

Hoping for a replacement Pidgey or maybe some handy Grass-type to counter Misty in the fast-approaching gym battle, I plunge into the grass and find...a Caterpie. Surprisingly I don’t fancy waiving the Dupes Clause on this particular encounter, so try my luck again and find… a Spikey Caterpie.

According to the venerable RNG, this little chap is Born From Bugonia:

“You can evolve this pokemon into Beedrill only once you sacrifice the corpse of a pokemon you control who died (this only requires you to have lost at least one pokemon whose corpse wasn’t used for any other lore rule).”

Ah ha, maybe Dove didn’t die entirely in vain - I’ll need a dead ‘mon to hand if this beastie wants to evolve. Cache is on Paralysis duty, I flex my Pokeball-chucking muscles and another new comrade falls in.

With learnable Bug and Dark moves a Beedrill could be quite an asset for battling Sabrina, if a little risky with it’s weakness to Psychic attacks (Bug type isn’t resistant to Psychic and Poison is weak to it!). I decide to use the remaining trainers on Route 25 as a bit of a boot camp for young Crypt.

We almost lose Damien in the process...

I forgot about Rock Throw!

But eventually Crypt earns his stripes.

Meanwhile I release the fallen Dove from her box - we’ll need to find a fresh body if any further Lorelocke rule calls for one. Here, ColoCola… Good boy…

Finally we reach the house of that connoisseur of rare Pokemon, Bill. I instruct Cache and Grimm to stay at my side at all times.

Calm down Grimm, he said he’s not a Pokemon!

We help Bill disentangle his genome and he hands us a free pass to a ritzy cruise ship party...if only my own PhD had been quite so rewarding!

Will there be beer?

And with that, we've exhausted Route 25 of all it has to offer for now.

Does the S.S. Anne serve booze to minors? Will we even make it past Misty? Have the couple smooching outside Bill’s house heard of polyamory? Join us in Part 5 for all the answers! ...although probably not the last one.

Close-minded pig!

Party 'mons

Imhotep, Modest natured Ivysaur - Pallet Town

Damien, Relaxed natured Butterfree - Route 2

A Living Soul

Peacekeeping Dove

Grimm, Serious natured Clefable - Mount Moon

Crypt, Hardy natured Beedrill - Route 25

You can evolve this pokemon into Beedrill only once you sacrifice the corpse of a pokemon you control who died (this only requires you to have lost at least one pokemon whose corpse wasn’t used for any other lore rule).

Boxed 'mons

Hans, Jolly natured Jigglypuff - Route 3

Grace, Relaxed natured Magikarp - Route 4

Whenever you are near water you can choose to link or relink Magikarp with one pokemon on your team, and that pokemon loses its lorelocke as long as it is linked. (Can only have one pokemon linked to it at a time, and lose this ability and the link when it evolves into Gyarados). It can't have more than two physical moves (even after it evolves).

Dead ‘mons

Dove, Naughty natured Pidgeotto - Route 1

Last edited:

sky_

life is a trip alright
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
The Vile Poison rule (found on Weedle, Ekans, the Nideorans etc.) is similarly nasty - it has a 30% chance of killing any of your non-Poison/Steel types that were damaged by it ... and this rises to 50% if they were poisoned by it!
oh dear god *proceeds to avoid all Poison types like the plague*
. His Lorelocke rules are rather bloody with both Cetus and Descendant of Yaoshikepu /Akkorokamui demanding sacrifices to satisfy them
*proceeds to also chuck away the fossils like they're frisbees*

i'm far too wimpy to do something like this, i'd just end up taking the nicest Starter i could find and practically soloing with it dskjfhsdkjghsk you are much braver than I

on the subject of death... ouch that was a tough one D: but at least not in vain! just about!
Goodbye wealth. This reminds me of buying Bitcoin in 2018…
asdhjfsfjsdhfgd oh dear i'm so sorry both for your in-game and irl losses, everyone really had such high hopes for Bitcoin huh
I forgot about Rock Throw!
sdljhfsdhjlAJFHDSJFH this Butterfree tanked a STAB Quad Effective move??? Wow. That's honestly incredible xD

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Wow, what an update, really eventful! Nothing goes to waste on your team, both body and soul!

I really enjoy your rule explanations so far and you sharing the strategy behind your decisions. You leave me very little to add in this regard. The lorestudent has become the loremaster :).

Designer note - I love how Living soul works, it really makes me want to add more similar rules that will allow pokemon to inherit the lorerules of other pokemon. I'll consider it for the Hoenn mons if I find any lore that fits it.

Mewstein question - about the Fairytale Teller rule the answer is sadly nope! It only works if that pokemon is still in your party. But thanks for asking as it is really not clear enough from the text, I'll add an explanation in the rules for version 1.14.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
Part 4 finds us in the bowels of Mount Moon about to indulge in a spot of that playground pastime beloved by bullies everywhere throughout the ages: Beating Up Nerds For Fun And Profit.

Oh pardon me - Beating Up Super Nerds For Fun And Profit

I'm sure that Lord Helix will bless you for your faith in Him!

I switch to Dove, my ace, sharpish. There’s a bit of a tussle, and suddenly -

Our first death!
Well, they're never gonna get me,
And like a bullet through a flock of doves

All things considered, though, the olive branch isn't the worst burden to inherit.

Abra:

I'm glad that Dove's body could be a peace offering to the murder hornet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)