• Ash has been all over the news lately and this site is no exception! Check out Ashes to Ashes, the latest featured run!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes recieving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our new Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • Happy tapaversary, Guest! It's been about a year since the Tapatalk Takeover; if you'd like to make a donation to us to celebrate the fact that we tapped out of that site, please click here.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about the new Critique Level Tags!
  • The second episode of Nuzlocke City Radio is here! Tune in for our discussion on the history and analysis of gijinkas, catch up on the biggest forum news, and we finally settle the score between Team Aqua and Team Magma in The Debatelockers!

Video Fan Game Teen Commentary Bad Life Choices - A Pokémon Insurgence Blind Hardmode Nuzlocke

Thread Description
A saga of blood, sweat, and tears as one man attempts to battle his way through the toughest the Torren region has to offer. Updated Sundays and sometimes Thursdays!

Manstar

Video Boi
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 4, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pokémon Type
Poison, Clever
Pokédex Entry
It says yeet way too much but that's probably just its call
Welcome one and all to my magical journey through Pokémon Insurgence!
I'm glad you stopped by!

Oh wait it's a videolocke. I'm sure this one will be r i v e t i n g.

Well I'm going to try my best to make it more riveting (than any lady with well formed biceps you've ever seen) by doing something many consider to be insane!
For those of you that are unfamiliar with Pokémon Insurgence you can learn about it here!
In short, it is a free Pokemon fan game that is considered by many to be really hard, and I will be playing it blind on the hardest difficulty!

yaaaaaaaaaay

For those of you that are unfamiliar with me: I posted on ye olde forums long ago (under the name Sooperspazz) both a completed Volt White run and a Yet Another Fire Red Hack run that never got finished...

*COUGH*alsoanEmeraldrunIremovedfromtheinternetcuzitwasreeeealbad*COUGH*

I'll just let you watch this and judge me based on that. If you recognize me, welcome back!

RULES of the run
Core Rules:
  • If a Pokémon faints, it is dead. Insurgence is usually pretty good about doing this anyway if you select the Nuzlocke rule.
  • I can only catch the first Pokémon I meet in a new area. No pinwheel clause. Areas are determined by name alone. If I screw up the catch there are no second Chanceys!
  • I must nickname all my Pokémon. These are pulled randomly from my name list, so if you want in please let me know or use the link above the rules! Disclaimer: You will probably die

Additional Rules (that aren't as important and could change depending on whether or not it is possible for me to even beat this game):
  • Hardcore dupes clause. I cannot catch a new Pokémon of an evolutionary line I've caught before, and they still count as my encounter for the route!
  • Battle style is changed to "set". I don't get to switch out for free when a new opponent switches in because how is that fair?
  • I must play on hard difficulty.
  • I should know as little as possible about what I have in store for me so NO SPOILERS PLEASE!!!
  • Shinies are super cool to catch no matter what!
  • Have fun!:partytime:

Yes, I am aware that I'm going to lose super hard

YouTube | Discord Server | Twitter

Click here to submit your name of choice and be part of the run!

And so, without further ado, I bring you the 0th episode and setup to the series!
(Insurgence has a pretty long intro sequence without any battles, so I'll summarize below the video in case you've already seen it)

Episode 0 - 30 minutes of intro!!!
On this Episode:

The Torren Region is ruled by some all powerful individual called the Augur, and the region is plagued with evil cult activity.

Bummer.

Our hero Manstar awakens inside the cult of Darkrai's hidden base, only to find Mew attempting to bust him out of captivity!
Turns out the Cult of Darkrai is comically evil, as they sacrifice their own members to try and summon Darkrai!
They also just sort of incinerate cultists out of frustration... and try to steal children's memories for some reason.

They don't seem great.

Manstar escapes using Mew's ability to transform people, and disguising himself as a cultist!
Soon after escaping, he meets Damian, a young boy living in nearby Telnor town, who tells him they must get Pokemon from Professor Sylvan in order to find a gift for the second Augur.
Professor Sylvan apparently has ties to another cult, as the leader of the Cult of Perfection leaves her with some cRaZy new Pokemon.
Manstar and Damian must choose their new friends, and take their first steps on a journey that will lead them to fortune and glory...

Or their doom.

Probably their doom.

Last edited:

Manstar

Video Boi
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 4, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pokémon Type
Poison, Clever
Pokédex Entry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's episode 1, where the real adventure begins!

Episode 1 - I'm gonna die
On this Episode:

Manstar chooses his starter, a Delta Bulbasaur he names Mr. Krebz.
The newly formed duo battle Damian, and handily defeat him and his Delta Charmander.
Which Manstar couldn't even see.

Not a big surprise.

Manstar then realizes becoming a Pokemon Master when you can't see what you are fighting is going to be actually impossible, so he swaps his eyes out for better ones.

Damian and Manstar emBARK through shade forest toward Telnor cave, where Damian thinks a gift for the Augur will be.
On the way Manstar catches another team member, a Nidoran♀ he names Bethh!

Manstar battles his way through many trainers in the forest, and demonstrates he is not a terribly competent trainer. He has clearly forgotten much.
To be fair the Cult of Darkrai was stealing his memories.

Manstar, Mr. Krebz, and Bethh eventually reach the mouth of Telnor cave, and wonder what fate awaits them within...

It's still probably doom.

Last edited:

Uberle

Lur King
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
Stays in the distortion dimension where no one bother him
>Insurgence
Oh cool, someone else is doing one
>Blind
Well this'll be fun to watch
>Sees challenge settings
Oh.... oh no
Well this is gonna be a trip

I really like the scribbles box
It's a nice touch

Well I wish you luck with this
Given what you've done....
You'll need it

io_

typically has writer's block
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/she please :)
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This friendly ghost lurks around old haunts and sites of interest, and likes to say hi. (Profile pic came from https://picrew.me/image_maker/114808)
I thought i was the only one reckless brave enough to try this but evidently not 😂 I completed a blind nuzlocke in Normal Mode, so it can be done! It's not like you've made it harder for yourself and, um... oh...

> Hard Mode
> can't see the opponents pokemon

well, good luck Trying Not To Die, at least you picked a really good Starter, may the balance be ever in your favour

Manstar

Video Boi
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 4, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pokémon Type
Poison, Clever
Pokédex Entry
@Uberle
I really like the scribbles box
It's a nice touch

Well I wish you luck with this
Given what you've done....
You'll need it
Thank you! For liking the scribbles and wishing me luck!
I like what I saw of your insurgence screenshot run, only I can't see beyond where I'm at in the game cuz spoilers 😅

@iola
It's not like you've made it harder for yourself and, um... oh...

> Hard Mode
> can't see the opponents pokemon
I dropped the mystery challenge in episode 1 because I realized it would be actually impossible.
I'll still need all the luck I can get!

This one is a two episodes for one post! Enjoy!

On this Episode:

Manstar enters Telnor cave, and while he catches a new warrior to aid him in his travels, he learns a very harsh lesson about the world of Pokemon...

That most people learn the first time they play.

Poison and ground types do not mix, and unfortunately Bethh is slain by a careless mistake.

Manstar forges ahead, and eventually finds Damian at the end of the cave.
He also finds some cultists that are totally plotting to kill the second Augur...

Looks like we've got a day to save...

and doom to have happen to us.

ANALYSIS - I suck at Pokemon and am probably going to bite it if I don't shape up.

On this Episode:

Manstar and Damian burst in to the town hall ready to save the Augur!
Unfortunately Damian's adoptive father or something doesn't really seem to think there is any danger...

But then there is!

Two cultists burst forth from the skin of some boys, and try to kill the Augur!

Luckily, Manstar and Damian (but mostly Manstar) beat them in to submission with relative ease.
The Augur peacefully arrests the cultists for their crimes, and sends them off to Helios City for a trial.

Well actually he casts a spell that sounds like it causes extreme death and they disappear, but he says it was totally legit and the cultists are fine.

Totally super nice trustworthy guy right there.

Anyway, he didn't just open with that move because he wanted to test Manstar and Damian, and seeing their massive talent invites them to his house later in the game.

The Augur leaves with his presents, Damian challenges Manstar to a race, immediately trips, knocks himself out, and is not relevant for many episodes.

Manstar continues down the path of destiny, which is Route 1 apparently.
There, he catches another Pokemon! A Ponyta he names Vernon.

And they all lived happily ever after...

Until their doom happened.

ANALYSIS - That Second Augur guy is probably the real villain.

Reactions: io_

Manstar

Video Boi
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 4, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pokémon Type
Poison, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Just a one parter today. These episodes with time between big cities can be a bit of a drag unless I screw up explosively. Maybe that happens this time?

Episode 4 - Self Awareness
On this Episode:

Manstar explores the rest of Route 1, where he finds a not so hidden cave.
The cave itself isn't that interesting compared to what is inside it...

The thing inside it is an Abra!

Using nothing but pure skill (see: great ball and luck), Manstar captures the Abra, and names him Self!
Sort of an odd name but what can you do? It's for the fans.

Manstar exits the other side of the cave, and finds a hidden grove with some slightly unnerving music. He can't really pin what it is about it but something is just off.

Manstar quickly yeets on outta there and is immediately accosted by old people that want to battle him and steal his money.
After showing these old folks what a stupid decision that is, Manstar accidentally stumbles in to Midna town, which it turns out is right where he needs to be...

To meet his doom.

ANALYSIS - I seem to be getting better at this game again, but I probably shouldn't say that because I think this part is supposed to be easy.

Last edited:

Manstar

Video Boi
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 4, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pokémon Type
Poison, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Two more parts for ya on this fine Sunday Morning, or evening, or not even Sunday when/if you read this.

On this Episode:
Manstar quickly finds out there is a trainer school in Midna town, and he decides to prove he is the very best by styling on all the kids inside.

Unfortunately, the star student of the school, Nora, has gone missing!
The only place anyone will allow Manstar to go look for her is the nearby mine, which of course he was going to do anyway.
As Manstar crosses the threshold of the cave, he trips on a Pokemon made of stone with a very human nose.
And that kids is how Manstar met Vasala the Nosepass.

Apparently, this mine is just filled to the brim with trainers. Not sure if they work there or just prefer the atmosphere of a cold dark cave, but all the same Manstar pounds their teams to dust. The pounding really gets Mr. Krebz pumped up, and he evolves in to Delta Ivysaur!

With a team like this, it's hard not to feel unstoppable!

Too bad they're about to be stopped by doom.

ANALYSIS - Nosepass is and odd Pokemon I'd never usually use, but beggars can't be choosers. I'm sure he'll be fine.
On this Episode:
Manstar finds Nora deep in Midna mine, performing some kind of ritual to bring dead Pokemon back to life.
Also she has a Celebi so that's gonna be fair. I guess as far as the smole cute legendaries go Celebi is pretty bad.

Anyway, Nora notices us creepin on her and is super paranoid about us having seen her reverse time. I think that's justified.
Fortunately, Mew shows up and convinces Celebi and Nora that Manstar is a cool dude.
Nora agrees to return to school, after spouting a bunch of nonsense about a prophecy about cults and chosen trainers.

I'm sure it wasn't relevant.

Manstar and Nora return to the trainer school, and things get real very quickly.
Turns out, the students battle each other in a tournament style no holds barred smackdown, with no breaks in between.
Well kinda. Pokemon are healed between each match at least.

First, Manstar is up against Kyle!

Kyle loses super duper bad.

Next, Manstar faces off against some dweeb oh it's Damian of course it is.

The battle begins with their starters facing off! Even though in theory Delta Charmeleon should Beat Mr. Krebz, Mr. Krebz isn't one to pay any mind to theory, and destroys Delta Charmeleon with fairy type sparkles!

Now, Manstar definitely underestimated Damian's true power, as his Corphish gets a lucky crit in with bubblebeam on Vasala (which to be fair might have killed him anyway), and ends the life of Manstar's dear friend.

Otherwise Damian loses super dee-duper bad!

The final match, of course, is between Manstar and Nora.

Nora's team is no joke, with a Bayleef, Trapinch, and Sewaddle on her side aaaaand she lost because sand tomb doesn't stop me from switching out and she had no water types. Tough luck Nora.

Manstar and Nora are awarded with TM Return, and Damian is irrelevant again for a while.

Manstar has overcome his first real challenge, and confidently strides off in to the sunset to face the first gym of the Torren region!

It's full of doom I'm sure.

ANALYSIS - I really need pokemon who can handle water types, otherwise I'm gonna have a bad time. Also I was accidentally a little bit on roids for that fight but that will not happen again in the future!

Last edited:

Manstar

Video Boi
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 4, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pokémon Type
Poison, Clever
Pokédex Entry
This part is where things begin to unravel a bit...

Episode 7 - Into the Abyss
On this Episode:
Manstar leaves Midna Town with a spring in his step and hope in his heart.

Not long after setting foot on Route 2 he meets a Buizel! He captures her and names her J-Bock, which is an odd name for anything.

While training his team some, Manstar spies some Abyssal cultists creeping around a nearby ruin.
The ruin is also kinda creepy so they fit right in.

Inside the ruin, Manstar meets a Sandshrew he names Kilmova, and decides that with so many Pokemon on his team now, there's no way he can lose against some nobody cultists!

Boy is he wrong!

Turns out, these cultists are trying their best to catch a Lucario by kidnapping... its son? Why they can't just capture only the Riolu and evolve it is beyond me. Why deal with a hypebeast like Lucario itself?

Anyway, as soon as Manstar is about to get his butt handed to him, Nora shows up and chops that butt kicking load right in half!

The cultist Manstar fights is stocked with some big ol' nasty fish! Horsea, Skrelp, and Corphish are his team, and they suck.

Suck to fight that is!

Because the team mostly has some glaring weaknesses to water, nobody can take the big hits that Horsea dishes out in the rain. Mr. Krebz barely handles the situation, but is met with the poison/water type Skrelp next! J-Bock switches in to buy time, but unfortunately Skrelp visited a move tutor and uses shockwave, which absolutely destroys J-Bock!

No one else can handle this monster shrimp aside from Mr. Krebz and his psychic moves, but he is injured from the Horsea's big hits!

Things look grim, and like a true hero, Kilmova steps in to give Mr. Krebz time to heal. Kilmova knew she had no chance, but she understood that the run must go on. Krebz gets his heal, Kilmova is washed away, and the Skrelp is finished.

Corphish is the final contender, but at this point that little crustacean is nothing compared to the wrath of Manstar and Mr. Krebz.

The fight is won, the cultists are all out of Pokemon, and Riolu's mom shows up.
Then it mega evolves with no trainer.

WHAAAAAAAT

This spoops the cultists, and they flee.

Manstar limps away from the ruins, learning two valuable lessons.

1) Always level your Pokemon to the cap
2) He's going to need some backup

After a funeral for J-Bock and Kilmova, Self the Abra is put back on the team.

He also tries out an old fishing rod an old man gave him in a small puddle in Midna town.
He catches a Finneon, which is kinda like a Magikarp but it evolves in to a bigger Magikarp. He names him Abraxis.

Manstar looks toward the horizon, wondering what fresh doom awaits him on the path ahead...

ANALYSIS - Oh this is bad news... If I can't beat a random cultist how am I ever going to beat a gym? That water type weakness needs to go!!!

Last edited:

Manstar

Video Boi
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 4, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pokémon Type
Poison, Clever
Pokédex Entry
This is another one of them catch Pokemon and go to the next city episodes, so it's pretty chill. Or is it?

Episode 8 - Toward the Sun
On this Episode:
Manstar takes out his frustration on the trainers of Route 2 after his rough rough battle against the Abyssal cult.
During his rampage he stumbles upon a cave, Cyan Cavern to be specific.

He finds out the cave is real boring, and goes back to beating up trainers' Pokemon.

Then he actually enters the cave because if he doesn't the game doesn't progress. He finds a Whismur, catches it, names it Landbeaver.
You know like you do.

Once he finds out there are trainers in this cave, things get interesting again! Mr. Krebz gets a sex change, Landbeaver evolves super quick, and Manstar gets fooled by one of the oldest tricks in the book since gen V.

Then once all the trainers are yought, Manstar realizes he has wandered right in to Suntouched City...

Where he super 100% for sure will meet his doom.

ANALYSIS - We have to fight Orion soon and that's going to be rough. I know this now for sure in the future since I've done it, but I was only sort of aware then. Eh I'm sure it will be fine.

Last edited:

Manstar

Video Boi
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 4, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pokémon Type
Poison, Clever
Pokédex Entry
One last episode before the first gym. I don't know about you but I'm freaking out kinda 😣

Episode 9 - B U I L D U P
On this Episode:
Manstar is quaking in his boots at the prospect of fighting his first gym leader of the Torren region, so he does everything in his power to do LITERALLY anything else.

First he shaves his head.

Then he takes a job as a gardener which he can't even do because he needs honey from Route 3 to attract a flower eating Pokemon and he can't do that until he can surf and he can't do that until he beats the gym.

Then he takes an internship at the local TV station catching rare wild Pokemon on camera.

Now THAT he can do!

First, the station wants him to catch an Axew that has been rampaging about in an empty field someplace. After growing his hair back out super quick because being bald breaks the universe, he catches the Axew and names him Dorfenator.

Apparently Manstar did such a good job catching a Pokemon on camera, he gets called in for a second episode!

This time, he is tasked with catching a rare Delta Species, the likes of which haven't been seen or mentioned since Mr. Krebz. They fly him out to the nearby desert, and Manstar contemplates asking them to take him past the water he can't cross so he doesn't have to fight Orion.

Hey, it's an idea.

The rare Pokemon in question turns out to be a Delta Grimer, which it turns out is just a pile of sand.

It's going to be super easy finding a sand pile in the desert!

Well actually it was. It really didn't take that long to find. Manstar whips out his balls and catches the Delta Grimer, naming her Chester. This move confuses Manstar's insensitive brain and he keeps calling Chester a "he" forever more.

Finally, Manstar remembers one place he hadn't checked for Pokemon. The super creepy hidden grotto he found waaaay back in episode 4 or something.
After a long walk back, he finds a Durant there waiting for him, which is absolutely zero help in a fire gym. He catches Durant anyway, and names her Lebron.

With a full team, Manstar approaches the gym, and finds that statistically he probably isn't going to nail this in the one shot he has.

Looks like he's got some grinding to do before he meets his doom.

ANALYSIS - We have maybe a 50/50 shot at this. I have some plans in mind. All I know about this gym is that Orion is coming at me with fire, grass, and the power of the sun... did someone say Sunny Day/Solarbeam combo? I guess I gotta make it rain.

Last edited:

Manstar

Video Boi
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 4, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pokémon Type
Poison, Clever
Pokédex Entry
The moment of truth.
Two titans clash!
Only one will remain standing.
One of them is me obviously.
Is this the last installment of the series? Maybe, and if it is I'll update the title to reflect that.

Episode 10 - The First Gym
On this Episode:
The time has come.

Manstar approaches the gym, shoving little bois and girls out of the way in order to face the biggest boi of them all...
Orion.

After a quick pep talk to his team Manstar challenges this boi wonder to a battle, and the boi obliges.

Orion opens with a drought Vulpix, and Manstar counters with Abraxis the Finneon who is about to make it rain!
Then Orion puts a sleeper hold on that plan with a hypnosis to Abraxis' face.

Sweet.

Manstar shifts to plan B and switches to Chester the Delta Grimer, who immediately starts getting smole. Between Minimize and potions, Mantar builds up a defense that Orion didn't see coming! Orion uses up all the potions he has on his Vulpix, and Chester just keeps getting harder to hit.

Chester DESTROYS the Vulpix, and makes short work of the Larvesta that follows it.

Then Fletchinder shows up and everything goes to hell.

Manstar panics upon seeing the brave bird of gen 6, the terror of 2013, the low point of the Pokemon metagame appear before him and IMMEDIATELY SWITCHES OUT CHESTER WITH ALL THAT EVASION THEY WORKED SO HARD TO BUILD!

Aaron Beal is chosen to face this beast, and he super can't because instead of the flying move Manstar thought was coming, Orion starts spamming overheat.

Of Manstar's two Pokemon that can resist fire moves, Vernon the Ponyta is chosen to brave the flames, which in hindsight was ALSO VERY DUMB.
Abraxis could have killed it with water pulse, but instead Manstar lets Vernon take the hits and heals his team. And then he sends Aaron Beal back out right into a flying gem boosted acrobatics.

but Aaron Beal does not die.

He also isn't fast enough to beat gale wings. No one on Manstar's team is.

In desperation Manstar tries sending out Chester to stall but that only buys him a turn.

Someone must die so the others can live.

Vernon nuzzles Manstar's hand, signalling that he knows it is his time to do what must be done for the team...

That or Manstar just yeets that fire pony knowing full well he's gonna die but take your pick.

Vernon is extinguished by really cool flips, and that buys Manstar just enough time to put his plan in to action!

HYPNOTIZE THAT STUPID BIRD MR. KREBZ!

Mr. Krebz, not quite understanding the gravity of the situation, misses the Fletchinder entirely and puts my hopes to sleep instead.

So, another Pokemon has to die. funfunfunfunfun.

Aaron Beal, with the least amount of health and not much longer to live anyway, jumps in to the fray...
And is mauled gruesomely by a crazy fire bird.

With Mr. Krebz out of health, two Pokemon deceased, and only one Pokemon with a super effective attack against this thing, Manstar does what he should have done many turns ago!

He sends in Abraxis with a water pulse that pierces the heavens! The effectiveness of this attack is sung about for generatio-
and the Fletchinder is still alive.

With zero hope left in his body, Manstar prepares to potion stall, when suddenly Orion has a massive stroke.
Seriously a kid that young shouldn't be having strokes like this.

Orion switches to his Bulbasaur, and with a sap sipping Delta Grimer on his team, Manstar immediately seizes the cheese and switches Chester in!

Chester heals up while Bulbasaur hits her with a solarbeam, and then the real fun begins.
The Bulbasaur only has sludge bomb to work with against Chester, and it doesn't do quite enough damage to contend with minimize and potions. After a long battle of attrition and getting her attack boosted by sleep powders and other grassy nonsense, Chester finishes the Bulbasaur off.

Next comes our old pal Fletchinder, who is seriously injured after the first encounter it had with the team.
Fletchinder tries once more to be a bother but misses Chester's tiny sandy bod, and its stupid birdness is yought from this mortal coil.

Next comes a Charmeleon that really isn't worth mentioning because Chester very quickly replaces it with sand.

And then it's over.

The badge is won.

The TM is awarded.

The dead are buried.

And Manstar had conquered the first of his many dooms to come.

ANALYSIS - Overall a very cheesy, lucky, and also kind of terrible fight for me. But hey we won and that's what matters right? All that means is we have to keep going and see what even worse nightmares this game has to offer.

Last edited:
  • Cry

io_

Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This friendly ghost lurks around old haunts and sites of interest, and likes to say hi. (Profile pic came from https://picrew.me/image_maker/114808)
I can't believe I forgot to comment on this, I'm really sorry! Orion's strategy is unfair for the first Gym especially with your Hard Mode level caps ( he had Sunny Day and Fletchlinder Flying Gem Acrobatics on my nuzlocke on Normal Mode too), it gave me a heart attack when I played it and the Delta Grimer came in clutch for me also. I breathed a sigh of relief when you decided to add the Delta to your team before the Gym.

Rule 1 is very applicable for these nuzlockes, there's always something worse around the corner in Insurgence D: I really like your commentary, your plan/deduction that this is a Sunny Day themed Gym, and the mix of your confident moment and the Vulpix using Hypnosis straight after was priceless xD the Sassy Scribbles box and music changing to reflect your desperation is hilarious, and my heart was in my mouth when you switched out Delta Grimer with the highest Defence and max Evasion against the Fletchlinder. Inb4 Orion uses Overheat but gives out Flame Charge as a TM tho D:

Also, I have a bit of advice for you. I saw a Durant in your PC Box and would strongly recommend that you take it. Mine carried me for so, so much of the early game and would have done so much more if it hadn't been for her unexpected death. Steel/Bug is a godly typing, mine learnt moves like Dig by level up and Durant's Attack and Defence is really, really good. You saw that you're next up a Poison and Bug themed Gym so it'd be cool to have a Pokemon in there that resists both. But if you do decide to take it, watch out for its SpDef and keep it away from Fire moves!

Last edited:

Manstar

Video Boi
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 4, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pokémon Type
Poison, Clever
Pokédex Entry
@iola
I can't believe I forgot to comment on this, I'm really sorry! Orion's strategy is unfair for the first Gym especially with your Hard Mode level caps ( he had Sunny Day and Fletchlinder Flying Gem Acrobatics on my nuzlocke on Normal Mode too), it gave me a heart attack when I played it and the Delta Grimer came in clutch for me also. I breathed a sigh of relief when you decided to add the Delta to your team before the Gym.

Also, I have a bit of advice for you. I saw a Durant in your PC Box and would strongly recommend that you take it.
Thank you for watching! Don't be sorry also, the fact that you took the time at all is more than enough 😅
Chester really is the only reason I won this thing so she gets a super special awesome place on my team forever now. Well, until she dies which could really happen at any point.

Waaaay ahead of you on the Durant 😉

YEEEEEAAH we survived gym #1!!!! Now enjoy a plot heavy super chill time episode where I expand the team and don't get totally boned! Right?

Episode 11 - Something Clever
On this Episode:
Manstar remembers there was some super plot relevant stuff happening at the gym after he left, so he goes back to see it unfold.

Turns out there were Perfection Cultists in the city this whole time and they're here to steal Orion's rock best friend.
Nora and the Fairy/Normal gym leader Harmony try to warn him but they're just a shade too late.

So the cultists just ride in on Kyurem to do it no big deal

aaaaaand Orion's rock is Reshiram cool

HOLY CRAP THERE ARE SO MANY LEGENDARIES IN THIS GAME.

Well good news is Orion isn't as crazy as he first seemed.
The bad news is anyone challenging him now is screwed.

Anyway Reshiram gives the cultists the "ol' fly away and come right back to where he started" slip and somehow loses them.

So everyone agrees that Orion should keep Reshiram around and this should stay a secret from everyone.
Good luck with that.

Anyway Nora gives Manstar a novelty innertube and now he can cross water.

He immediately goes back to all the water that ever was in the region thus far to get all the items he missed.

Then he gets to Pokémon catching.

Blonk the Clauncher, Lucivero (Luci) the Petilil, and Cale the Delta Aipom join the fight!
and by that I mean Luci and Cale join and Blonk sits in Box 1.

With his new teammates Manstar takes Route 3 by storm, and before ya know it they're in Midna town.

Boy oh boy I wonder what fresh doom awaits them there?

ANALYSIS - The new team members are some interesting finds. Petilil doesn't actually have a whole lot going for it other than being something I can use against water types which I didn't really have before. She also offers another way to put Pokémon to sleep so Mr. Krebz can get a better move.
Delta Aipom is very interesting. It has 3 immunities, and only a weakness to dark types. Being fast and having pretty strong attack when it evolves makes Cale a very cool addition to the team. Its moveset leaves a bit to be desired for a nuzlocke though. Also the hidden ability it can have makes shadow punch a whole lot better, but that's not an option for us!

Manstar

Video Boi
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 4, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pokémon Type
Poison, Clever
Pokédex Entry
On this episode, we run in to an old friend with very little warning from the game, but with enough warning that at least mentally I'm prepared for it.

Episode 12 - Slam Dunk
On this Episode:
Manstar explores Metchi town, which means he doesn't actually do that and starts off by a Pansage in the hidden grotto to the north. He names it Symon.

After that he actually explores the town, and finds a man who wants to sell him a mystery egg. Manstar is all about mystery eggs from strangers, so he takes that with only a little hesitation.

Then he crosses the famous Metchi town bridge after hearing a cryptic hint from another stranger that there's a girl on the other side!

Unfortunately that girl is just Nora.

She wants to fight.

With her Celebi.

Ahhhh geez.

Nora opens with her Honedge, while Manstar opens with Cale the Delta Aipom. Cale's shadow punch makes short work of the spooky sword, but not without exhausting Cale of her energy.

Of course the next Pokémon Nora sends out is her Celebi. Cooooool.

Unfortunately for Nora, Manstar just recently decided to take a player off the bench and put her on the team! Lebron the Durant!

Lebron has the hustle ability, which means physical attack is boosted 50% at the cost of 20% accuracy. This is not a problem for Lebron though.

Celebi tries to use its ancient power to pierce Lebron's weak special defense, but even that is no match for this ballin' bug and a pile of potions. Celebi is bitten to death!

Next comes Nora's Golbat, which can't really do anything to Lebron, so Manstar takes the time to heal and speed Lebron up to dangerous levels.

Lebrons dunks on the Golbat, then the Swadloon, then the Floette, then finally the Bayleef.

It's game over for Nora.

Holding back tears, Nora reveals that she had told Damian of all people that we were chosen by legendary Pokémon, and that she DIDN'T tell him to keep it secret.

Thanks Nora!

Then Manstar explores the rest of Metchi town. He could buy a secret base which can make the game a whole lot easier, but he is too poor so he does not.

Mr. Krebz evolves out of nowhere in to his final form! Delta Venusaur! He looks real chonky.

Manstar hatches the mystery egg and finds out that it is a Marill! WITH HUGE POWER!!! YEEEEEEEESSSS!

He names her Yoursoul.

After years of grinding Manstar continues to route 4, where he encounters a Doduo he catches and names McKenna!
Soon after he finds out he could have caught a Delta Ralts on the route and gets a little bit sad about it.

After surfing for a bit, Manstar arrives in Vipik City!
It is there he meets Damian and tells him to keep his mouth shut, but it is too late.
Damian blurts out that Manstar has been chosen by mew right as a cultist walks by.
Typical.

Manstar evolves Cale in to her final form which is super amazing looking.

Then he starts to prepare for the Vipik City Gym.

I sure hope he likes doom!

ANALYSIS - Not much to say about this one. Good fight with Nora to be sure! Shame we missed that Delta Ralts. We are super screwed for this gym! We have no rocks, no fire, and no idea what we're up against...

Last edited:

Manstar

Video Boi
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 4, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pokémon Type
Poison, Clever
Pokédex Entry
It is time once again for a gym battle. I do not like these... they make my heart go way too fast!

Episode 13 - The Second Gym...
On this Episode:
After a long time spent grinding and not really knowing what to do about the Vipik city gym, Manstar is going to have to face the music and battle Xavier.
In anticipation of the bug/poison combo, Manstar threw all his faeries in to a box as well as his grass type Lucivero.
So without further ado...

Here's the team for gym 2!

Cale the Delta Ambipom
Lebron the Durant
Chester the Delta Grimer
Dorfenator the Axew
McKenna the Dodrio
Self the Kadabra

The thought behind this team is that if all else fails Chester will just carry everyone with minimize again! Everyone else is just sort of there because they are strong alternatives that shouldn't have any weaknesses to the Pokémon in the gym.

After some super easy trainer battles full of Poison, tree mazes that really just draw things out longer than they need to be, and hints from his employees that the gym leader is a total pothead, Manstar enters Xavier's magic weed palace.

Xavier is more than eager to battle, and claims to have a surprise up his sleeve...

He opens with Shuckle, which against Manstar's impromptu lead Cale can last quite a while.
The Shuckle gets off both a sticky web and stealth rock (NOOOOOO) but that is all it can really do it seems. Lebron is switched in and sped up with agility while the Shuckle does nothing of consequence after its setup.

The Shuckle is killed, and next comes Heracross!

Heracross can't really kill Lebron in one or even two hits, so eventually after a battle of attrition and Xavier wasting potions the Heracross is defeated.

Then Xavier unveils his surprise. MEGA BEEDRILL!

Not super great.

However, as physically strong as Mega Beedrill is it still cannot pierce Lebron's armor! With the speed and power of an iron ant, Lebron dunks on the monster in just two hits!

With half his Pokemon gone, Xavier isn't looking so tough!
Too bad everything goes to hell when he sends out his Tentacruel.

Now, in a gym with a "forest theme" this one was a bit unexpected...
Don't worry! It won't be Xavier's last surprise.

Tentacruel is a special attacker, and Lebron is not so good with the special defense. She does her best to bring the beast down but she can't take more than two hits from its scald attack. Not wanting to risk a hustle induced miss, Manstar switches to Cale to finish the job!

Unfortunately Manstar forgets Sneaky pebbles and sticky web were a thing and Cale takes quite a bit of damage...

Cale has fake-out as a free hit, but even that still isn't quite enough to defeat the Tentacruel.

Manstar prays that even with the sticky web slowdown that Cale is the fastest one there is!

He is fortunately right, and Tentacruel goes down.

Next is Croagunk, which doesn't stay in super long after Cale gives it the beatdown of its life, and Xavier actually switches to his final Pokemon...

Gengar???

Now, this one has pretty much nothing to do with a forest save for a haunted one, and the only thing haunting Xavier's woods is a lack of motivation... probably.

Welp, it's poison type so screw me it counts.

Gengar immediately hits Cale with a very strong sludge bomb, and poisons her.

The Manstar panics and totally beefs up the whole fight.

Cale could have survived another sludge bomb and round of poison, and the Gengar would have easily died in another shadow punch.
Instead, Manstar switches to Lebron, who is immune to poison attacks, and takes the free hit to heal up.

But it is not enough...

and with the flick of a wrist Gengar obliterates Lebron's puny special defense with shadow ball.

In a blind rage Manstar sends out Chester to put the nasty ghost back in the ground!

Then Manstar forgets Gengar didn't lose levitate until gen VII, and Insurgence is based on gen VI, so Chester whiffs with her attack...

and everything is over.

Manstar cannot outspeed the Gengar because of sticky web, and has no other Pokemon that can take two shadow balls to the face.
Manstar prepares to heal stall until the end, when a miracle happens.

Xavier doesn't have a light for all that weed he wants to start smoking all of a sudden, so he orders his Gengar to explode.
Most of the explosion is directed at Xavier's fat spliff, so Chester barely survives!

Xavier sends his wounded Croagunk to finish the battle.
Manstar goofs by delaying the fight instead of going directly for the Croagunk's throat with ground attacks, so the darn thing manages to bulk up a ton more than it should have. Then it starts drain punching Chester super hard, and Manstar has to pray that his one minimize he had Chester use is enough for the thing to miss a very crucial punch...

And wouldn't you know it, Manstar's luck doesn't run out.

The Croagunk misses and is soon after down for the count.

It is over.

Surely Manstar can get by on luck like that every time?

Who am I kidding.
We are so doomed.

Oh yeah Damian got kidnapped by cultists and they're gonna kill him so I guess that's bad.

ANALYSIS - I made a few mistakes in that fight we could have done without. Switching Cale on the Gengar when she could have survived a second attack was the worst one. If I hadn't done that the stinger badge would have probably been mine without casualty OR having to rely on luck again. Lebron is a HUGE loss at this point in the game and I will suffer for my mistake later. DO THE MATH EVERY TIME is the moral of this story!
Also that Croagunk bulkup would have been game over if I didn't get lucky with it missing. TOO CLOSE!

Last edited:
  • Cry

Manstar

Video Boi
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 4, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pokémon Type
Poison, Clever
Pokédex Entry
A post gym episode where we HAVE TO BATTLE CULTISTS TO PROGRESS WOW THAT'S SO FUN!
Oh and it's the Abyssal cult, my least favorite so far.
At least we aren't level capped anymore! Yaaaaaaaaay

Episode 14 - Down in the Dumps!
On this Episode:
After crying for maybe a week, (not about Damian's kidnapping so much as Lebron being dead) Manstar picks himself up and takes as long as possible to go to the Vipik City dump.

Surely Damain will be fine, he is an important hostage after all!

Manstar evolves Lucivero in to Lilligant after she learns her last good grass move! He also trains up Dorfenator so that he evolves in to Fraxure.

After grinding for an irresponsible amount of time and being unable to progress to a new route, Manstar gives in and visits the dump.

The Abyssal cult has turned the place in to something like a temporary HQ, and something tells Manstar that their choice of venue is quite appropriate.

Because they're trash.

Get it?

Anyway, after fighting the first cultist he sees (who is very inappropriately dressed to be fighting children), Manstar finds a pile of garbage he thinks is a Pokemon and names it TruOne.

Then he evolves Chester the Delta Grimer in to Chester the Delta Muk. Really she just becomes a bigger pile of sand that spits small Pokemon at her enemies.

Now nothing can distract Manstar from rescuing Damian save for a whole platoon of cultists and a sea of poison.
That takes a while to get through.

Turns out the arch-cultist at the end of the dump is a real pushover, and after threatening to literally push Damian over in to a puddle of toxic sludge because somehow he... wait how does this work? Damian is on an island in the middle of the sludge that you would need some kind of flight to cross but these cultists all use water Pokemon so how did Damian get there? How is he going to push him in from the shore? Water gun?

Well nevermind that!

Mew and Shaymin show up and rescue Damian by purifying the toxic sludge, which scares all the cultists away!
Then Shaymin gives Mew the ability to purify toxic waste as a game mechanic, and chooses Damian as its master for some reason.

Manstar leaves the dump, and goes back to buy a secret base with all the money he won from fighting cultists.
That turns out to be a pretty wise investment, because secret bases are dope in this game.
Manstar also catches a Spritzee in his own friend safari he names Hudson, which is less dope.

Then, continuing on to the crossroads, Manstar finds a really cool Pokemon that probably isn't practical at all in a Nuzlocke, Growlithe!
He names him Squirtle.

That poor fire puppo is probably doomed.

ANALYSIS - Overall nothing super crazy to talk about. Damian getting a pixie legendary isn't so good for me but really how bad could Shaymin be? Also Growlithe is a cool catch but kind of fragile and it doesn't have the greatest movepool. We need some real TMs up in here! I'm sure we'll never get them.

io_

Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
that second gym battle was one of the most heart-pounding fights i've ever watched, my heart is still in my mouth i honestly thought you would wipe and that the croagunk would have sucker punch as well as bulk up and aaaaaaaa

sassy scribbles makes things so much more intense and is definitely my favourite thing about this run

this is also why i recommended using the Durant, and you did! mine also took down the mega Beedrill when nothing else had the defences to take an attack from it, and mine even survived for... a bit longer... i'll never forget you, Phi 😭

and yes, sadly Insurgence uses Gen 6 'mons and mechanics. that being said, I honestly wouldn't sleep on the Trubbish unless you really really don't want to use one (and I can see why xD) you've just lost your Fairy-killer in Durant and I believe Garbodor is pretty bulky and can learn Toxic on its own, and that on top of Venoshock it could do some damage

that being said maybe it's just me that tries to assign a "fairy killer" on every nuzlocke team they have xD that typing just scares me

Manstar

Video Boi
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 4, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pokémon Type
Poison, Clever
Pokédex Entry
that second gym battle was one of the most heart-pounding fights i've ever watched, my heart is still in my mouth i honestly thought you would wipe and that the croagunk would have sucker punch as well as bulk up and aaaaaaaa
I should honestly not have won that fight and I'm glad Xavier had a stroke... kind of. That just means I will continue to be stressed by this game and that my death will be more spectacular in the future!

and yes, sadly Insurgence uses Gen 6 'mons and mechanics. that being said, I honestly wouldn't sleep on the Trubbish unless you really really don't want to use one...

...I believe Garbodor is pretty bulky and can learn Toxic on its own, and that on top of Venoshock it could do some damage

that being said maybe it's just me that tries to assign a "fairy killer" on every nuzlocke team they have xD that typing just scares me
Trubbish/Garbodor would be cool with me if its stats were less mediocre (which is true I guess of any Pokemon with mediocre stats). Its movepool is very suited for special attacking for the longest time but its spatk is like the worst. It has ok defenses true, and I guess I have to work with what I got, but it doesn't get great coverage other than poison (until I find some dope TMs which I assume won't be until the end of the game). I'm really not that afraid of fairies so I'll just slap a poison or steel move on someone else down the line. Toxic spikes are great though and I need a good lead/stat setup for my team... Who knows! I'll probably lose a bunch of Pokemon in the near future and need some replacements :sweatdrop:

Manstar

Video Boi
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 4, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pokémon Type
Poison, Clever
Pokédex Entry
It's time again for another update of this run! We're almost to the next plot relevant location! There's just so much stuff between Vipik and Helios! Somehow I'm also not completely dead yet! Don't worry. I hear once I hit the halfway mark I'm hosed.

Episode 15 - Check yourself before you wreck yourself
On this Episode:

ANALYSIS
-

io_

Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
stone statues and bombs and dead kids oh my... yeah, that cave honestly gave me the creeps with all the statues and i was very glad to get out of it.

poor, poor self - being killed by an emolga is really harsh, that's just humiliating

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)