• New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Happy new forum! We decided this was a golden opportunity for us to feature a fresh new imported run!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes recieving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our new Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • The second episode of Nuzlocke City Radio is here! Tune in for our discussion on the history and analysis of gijinkas, catch up on the biggest forum news, and we finally settle the score between Team Aqua and Team Magma in The Debatelockers!

Aquatic Journal - 10gal planted Aqueon Ascent

Thread Description
baby's first fish tank!

Bug

Words Fail
🌱Featurer
🎇Contributor
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
oh fuck oh shit my dots...............................................................................................................................
Howdy! This is just a little journal I've thought about making since @Bigredlittlewolf started her blog about her little garden. If you know me, you know I love pets, and have been employed at a pet store for a couple of years now. Over that time, I have learned more about fish than I ever expected. Fish are complex creatures, and so is their care! It's taken me a while now to drum up the courage to try and own my first tank, but I am finally taking the plunge thanks to a lucky fishy find.

It is very hard to get a good picture of a fish
ToC said:
  • Entry I : You are here!​
To fully explain just how lucky this fish is, I should explain a bit about how bettas are priced. Babies, females, and your basic breeds are usually only a few bucks. The very visually striking breeds can cost you $18 USD minimum; For a freshwater fish, that is mildly pricey. This little one is a female, but she is what I believe is called a Paradise! They are a $20 USD betta, which I got for... Drumroll please! $1.50. (You'll quickly learn that I am the deals goblin.) The picture doesn't do her justice, but she is a deep black with a blue sheen on her back half. And she is only a baby! Her colors will really start to pop as she grows. ​

Fish in hand, I purchased some nice food and conditioner, and took her home to hold her in a little 1gal I had stashed away that a customer told us to toss (how wasteful). It only has some glass rocks and a mini dishwasher safe ceramic skull planter in it currently. She likes to sleep in the planter, and comes out to visit when I turn on the light. Just an aside, I currently feed her New Life Spectrum Small Betta Pellets. The company just reformulated all their fish food to be artificial free, so I wanted to try it. She loves it, and it's the perfect size for a baby like her!​

Now, onto the aquarium. I don't have any pictures of the empty tank, sadly. I do my aquarium work as a sort of catharsis when I am stressed. I found out while I was working that terrarium and aquarium scaping is super relaxing. It's a whole type of art form that people have written about, and how to incorporate things such as the Fibbonacci Spiral to create the most visually pleasing arrangements possible. It's pretty scientific, but honestly the whole process of creating is what appeals to me. So, naturally? I needed a tank that was practical for a novice aquarist, but beautiful.​

I had to screencap this from a video.
I'll show more pictures of my own as the tank progresses, but this pictures shows off plenty. The tank has an angled top and a glass lid with built in LEDs. While you can't see the back here, it comes with a black backdrop that sets the stage to make your plants really pop. It also comes with a quiet filter-- which while I didn't want to have to use it-- means that the fact that this tank is only $70 USD is a super steal. It's sleek, it's a nice size, and... Well, you'll see.​

I laid a bed of Fluval Stratum for my plants and eventual shrimp, since I knew I would need all the help I could get going into this to make sure my plants would take. Over that, I put a layer of black sand and used a pastry brush to spread in cleanly. The topography of the tank isn't flat, because I wanted to create some visual interest (especially while my plants start to grow). Then, I moved onto the rest of my hardscape, and put in a few beautiful rocks I purchased. I would have liked Seiryu stone, but really didn't want to spend $30 USD on a bag of rocks. Finally, I placed a bowl in the bottom of the tank and started to pour in my water from the sink into it. Now, normally I would have a bucket of treated water ready, but there aren't any fish in here, so I treated it afterwards.​

After a week, I picked a few plants I found, and planted them in. That was yesterday, and so far so good! They aren't much, but I think they were really pretty finds for not ordering from online!​

My own little world.

1185 1186
Alternanthera Reineckii & Rotala Macrandra!.. If the packaging is correct, anyways.
I know I want more plants, but I'm not sure what to pick. I think maybe some sort of grass, for sure, and then some duckweed to cover the top. In a week I plan to take in a water sample to work and see how the water levels are faring. If all is well, I'll probably add in two or three amano shrimp before I add in my betta. Speaking of betta... I haven't named her! Do y'all have any suggestions? ​

MouseWithADinosaurTail

The Lost Prince of Lightbeacon
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
Though she often appears sweet and polite, the smell of wrong opinions may cause this pokemon to latch bite.
Yo yo Bug, awesome to hear that youre setting up a tank! I LOVE fish tanks, especially freshwater nano, I am so here for this! Did you cycle the tank yet? Make sure you do before adding any animals! Your bioload is low, but imo better safe than sorry? Unless you planned to do a fish-in cycle.

The plants are looking good so far! What ferts are you dosing? Im unfamiliar with those plants, but i know those sorts of red plants are usually high light. For additional plants, I def recommend java moss for the shrimp, anubias, java fern, pygym chainsword, elodea, or crypts! Dwarf hairgrass is always awesome, but itll be a background plant in a nano tank.

What sort of filter media are you using?

Anyway, very excited to see how this build goes!

Reactions: Bug

starmouse

All in service of some implacable "just cause".
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Water, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon is said to be scared of its own shadow. It can often be found sitting in the rain.
This is so cool! I'm a huge fan of bioactive enclosures. Don't know much about fish, but have always been very curious about the ins and outs of aquariums. I'm excited to see more!!

Your betta is adorable, and my name suggestion is Midnight.

Reactions: Bug

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)