• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Seven of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode concludes one reading and premiers another. Also, we brought back several guests for an extra long discussion segment!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
Thread Description
Ask Me Anything, Xenforo Edition

localhoney

~either i'm careless or i wanna get caught~
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 17, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Localhoney, the Sweet Toxin Pokemon. It's said that the sounds it emits can paralyze even a Gigantamax Grimmsnarl.
What’s your favorite thing to do around the forums?
In the forums proper, I have a lot of fun just reading all the storylockes I can and trying to hone my own skills. There's so many talented people around and it just makes me want to get better. I also want to get into the comic side of FCR soon, because I know there's a bunch of great stories lying in wait there as well. But as far as nuzforums-adjacent, I spend a lot of time in the Nuzwriter's Lounge Discord and I've made a lot of really great friends who are incredible writers as well as people.
What's a musician or band that took you a few tries to get into, but now you love them?
I have a few answers for this. The first that comes to mind is mewithoutYou. They were the first band I discovered with spoken-word interspersed with music and proper singing, and so they were odd to me at first. Combined with their lead singer's voice being out of the ordinary, it took me a while. But once I heard their record Pale Horses (partial inspiration for Behold, a Pale Horse!), it all came together and now they're one of my favorite bands.

Another answer is not so much the artists, as I haven't really delved into their discography, but the record Don't You by the band Wet. When it first came out, I wasn't very interested in anything with drum machine beats and my comfort zone was male voices and music. Thankfully, I've grown out of that completely and it's one of my favorite records of all time now. I'll drop links to a song by each band so y'all can check it out.
What piece of wisdom/advice do you stand by the most?
I have a friend who I work out with pretty often. He once told me "Out-weighing people isn't going to do anything for you. You have to outwork them." In that context, it was about putting in the work to lift and get as strong as possible without worrying about how much everyone else in the gym can lift. But I think it's a philosophy that transfers really nicely to all aspects of life. Work ethic and effort will get you further than natural talent, and worrying about what other people can do is only going to take away from what you can do.
What are your favorite and least favorite Pokémon and why?
I feel like my favorite Pokemon changes almost all the time. For a long time, it was definitely Manectric and that sparky-boi's mega form also helped. I mean, a walking lightning bolt was just so cool. Right now, I'm kind of in favorite-mon-limbo, in that there's no obvious answer. If I could choose a top 5, it'd probably be Duosion, Oshawott, Grookey, Joltik, and Rockruff.

Least favorite? Basculin. It sucks. It's just a fish. We already have a bunch of mons that do fish well. Garbage fish.
What is something you're really looking forward to?
Funnily enough, it was hard to come up with an answer to this. Personally, I live by looking at the next day and let myself get surprised, positively or negatively, by what comes. But if I had to name something small, I think I'm excited for moving into an apartment off-campus for school this year and I am looking forward to an answer from NASA (although who knows what'll happen there).

Something small I'm looking forward to, though, is hopefully finishing Behold, a Pale Horse. Sure, I just started it, but I can't wait to see how it'll grow and how people on the forums react to it.
What outlandish food combination do you actually like?
I don't really mess with random food combinations, I like to eat random meals but I guess the closest thing to an answer that I have is buttered salmon and spicy mayo. I know people don't like tuna, so maybe canned tuna and mayo with some lime is a better answer.

Aurea

🎇Contributor
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Grass, Steel
Back for round two! AMA!

localhoney

Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 17, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Localhoney, the Sweet Toxin Pokemon. It's said that the sounds it emits can paralyze even a Gigantamax Grimmsnarl.
What work of fiction that you've read would you say influenced you the most, whether it be your writing style or as a person?

Garish Garchomp

Friendly Neighborhood Landshark
Administrator
🌱Featurer
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 12, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
he's ok i guess
Can you please make the argument as to why I, Garish H. Garchomp, personally should finally play Breath of the Wild? and I guess anyone else who hasn't played it as well but you know I need the nudge

Aureum

A world calling for justice shall be heard.
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
He, Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fighting
Pokédex Entry
From the Country of the Ketchup Chips, Aureums are an anxious bunch with a love for games of all sorts. Batteries not included.
What writing tips would you give to somebody struggling to write (ex: Writer’s Block, Depression, etc)?

Nebbles

physically unable to shut up about fire emblem
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 3, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Cute
Pokédex Entry
This writer spends many hours toiling over her endless pile of fics while being surrounded by snacks. If you approach her, she'll share them with you!
what was your favorite work of literature when growing up?

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How did you get inspired for your storylocke?

Aurea

🎇Contributor
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Grass, Steel
What work of fiction that you've read would you say influenced you the most, whether it be your writing style or as a person?
Ha, okay, if I'm being honest? The Hunger Games trilogy (Catching Fire specifically, imo it was the best of the three). I know that's sort of a lame answer, but I read it in high school and it was really formative to solidifying my own personal writing style. I'd always written in 1st person POV, but past tense never quite felt right to me? I had just started dabbling in present tense when THG blew up, and besides really enjoying the series just in general, it was so validating to see really popular fiction written in first person present. It felt especially important because during my time at fanfiction.net (where I got my writing start), it seemed there was almost an attitude of 3rd person past tense being the superior way to write, with 1st person/present being considered more novice. So I was thrilled to see someone have success with it, and it gave me the confidence to focus on writing what felt right to me. ^^

Although I think I've outgrown the trilogy over the years, I still have a great deal of nostalgia for it, and have circled back to reread it quite a few times. It's far from the best writing I've read, but there's a lot I still appreciate about it, the characters have my whole heart. ;w; For honorable mentions, books like Island of the Blue Dolphins, Misty of Chincoteague, Holes, My Side of the Mountain, Call of the Wild... I really had a thing for anything involving adventure in the wilderness, fighting for survival, and of course animals! Guess it makes sense I grew up to write Pokemon fanfic lmao.

Can you please make the argument as to why I, Garish H. Garchomp, personally should finally play Breath of the Wild? and I guess anyone else who hasn't played it as well but you know I need the nudge
LISTEN DUDE. Here's my argument: If I can play it, anyone can. I am the biggest fucking video game weenie that ever existed. Anything FPS or that involves any sort of real-time risk gets my anxiety pumping. Breath of the Wild has a lot of those moments, I won't lie, but it's SO much more than that. There's so much freedom to play the game exactly how you want and in the way that you'll enjoy it most, that you can take it at your own speed! Not to mention there's no consequences for you dying, and you've got a built-in "oh shit" button by just teleporting to any of the Sheikah Towers! If that's your biggest hangup, I promise you can overcome it! It's beyond worth it, for so many reasons, which I'll try to make a shortlist of:
  • The game is GORGEOUS. I know you've watched others play it enough to know this, but I'm telling you, it's different when you're experiencing it firsthand. It's breathtaking and there are so many little minute details that make it mesmerizing. It's also a huge map and I've had a blast exploring. There are new places and things I discover every time I play.
  • The music. I know some fans would prefer more music, but I was personally a huge fan of the more ambient sounds and minimalist compositions. They get so much mileage out of reusing and remixing central themes, the soundtrack is beyond phenomenal and I can (and have) listened to it for hours on end.
  • The story. The story is so good. It's... look, I don't get to play many video games so maybe this isn't a fair comparison, but the story in this game is everything I wish with my dying breath that GameFreak would give us in a main series Pokemon game. The world has so much depth, every inch of it feels alive, the lore and backstory and how it all ties together is mindboggling, and it's so much fun to run around the giant ass map collecting snippets to piece together what Hyrule once was. I'm normally not big on post-apocalyptic settings, but damn does BotW do it well. It made me nostalgic for a world I never even experienced, except through cutscenes.
  • The characters. Oh, they gutted me with the characters. There's such a feeling of melancholy surrounding them, because a lot of them you're learning about in retrospect, but they're vibrant and nuanced and wonderful. This game broke my heart in the best way.
  • If you play BotW you'll be able to write the AMAZING fic Thirteenth writes for it and appreciate it on a whole 'nother level.
  • And I mean, c'mon, you've seen Sidon. What more would you like me to say?
I rest my case!

What writing tips would you give to somebody struggling to write (ex: Writer’s Block, Depression, etc)?
I think it depends on the struggle, honestly. I haven't found a good cure-all, unfortunately (I'd pay good money for those secrets), but I'll try to share some of the things that have worked for me!

For depression, anxiety -- any mental or emotional barriers, really, my advice is always always to focus on self-care. Putting pressure on yourself to write when it's not flowing naturally is only going to make things worse. Do whatever helps ease those barriers, take care of yourself and do things that will help you recharge and get to a point where you're feeling good enough to try again. And I think, also, don't fall into the common pitfall of "well writing is cathartic, so why isn't this working for me?" I've been there, and it's incredibly frustrating, but a.) just because it's been cathartic to you in the past, doesn't mean it's the fix right now, and b.) just because writing helps someone else cope, doesn't mean it's necessarily going to be the fix for you. Just... don't force it. Be kind and patient with yourself, and focus on getting back to a place where you feel up to doing things you enjoy. ^^

For general writer's block, the thing that always helps me most is reading! I've found my creative lulls usually come from those times when I haven't made time to read. My job is really taxing some days, and it really drains my creativity. Not focusing on creating and instead reading what others have done gets me excited to create again -- and honestly, it makes me a better writer because I'm constantly learning from my peers! Lately most of my reading comes from the forums - I follow around 20ish ongoing storylockes total (and try to comment when I can!), and there are countless more I'd like to branch out and read. If reading fails to get you excited about writing your own stuff, I'm also a big fan of just taking a break! If you're not enjoying it in the moment, there's no point in forcing it. You can always come back to a project. c:

what was your favorite work of literature when growing up?
I think the books I had the most fun reading at the time were the Hunger Games trilogy (see my answer to localhoney!), but favorite standalone would probably be Island of the Blue Dolphins. My English teacher got tired of me complaining about running out of books to read (our middle school library was pretty small, and I was an avid reader), so she brought it from her private collection, and I was so engrossed. I got angry, cheered, cried my heart out... I've always felt pretty deeply when it comes to fictional characters (yay being an empath, i guess), but that book had me in a trance. It was beautiful, peaceful at times, but also so sad and unfair and heartwrenching. I was also really obsessed with like... any books that involved surviving in the wilderness and nature, so it was right up my alley. I loved it so much, she let me keep the copy. ;w;

How did you get inspired for your storylocke?
If you're asking about how I get inspired to continue working on my current projects, reading! As I mentioned to Aureum above (and sorta alluded to in my last AMA), there is nothing more energizing to me that seeing what others have created. You can just tell when someone really enjoys what they've created, and that energy is infectious. I often feel most inspired to write when I read something incredible, and get all kinds of ideas from the great things people have written. It makes me want to get back out there and keep creating, in the hopes that what I'm writing can potentially inspire someone else, too. ^^

As far as inspiring my projects themselves... character ideas. It always comes back to that. I'm a very character-driven writer, so I will likely establish character dynamics/relationships/etc. before I have any inkling of a plot. With fanfic (since that's pretty much exclusively what I write at this point -- it's what I enjoy!), I usually hoard little nuggets of character information, or tidbits about the plot that might impact their interactions in a certain way, and just... go crazy from there. I'm really big on taking the baseline plot of a game (such as Diamond for my storylocke, Impulse), and analyzing it to figure out a way to make it a.) make sense to me, and b.) makes sense for the characters I want to see. Reimagining the existing plot/world and changing it up to suit the story I want to tell makes it feel like it's my own, in a way, and makes me even more excited to share it with others! ^^

Last edited:

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
Finally got to pop in again, AMA!

Nebbles

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 3, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Cute
Pokédex Entry
This writer spends many hours toiling over her endless pile of fics while being surrounded by snacks. If you approach her, she'll share them with you!
shoot, beat me to it!

what inspired you to begin writing?

Aureum

Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
He, Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fighting
Pokédex Entry
From the Country of the Ketchup Chips, Aureums are an anxious bunch with a love for games of all sorts. Batteries not included.
He also beat me to the punch as well... I usually go every ~5ish turns anyways so it’s chill, I should probably give others a chance.

What song is currently stuck in your head?

Last edited:

TheTRUEgge

Ethos is okay, actually
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon has too many ideas for their own good.
If you had to do a monotype run, what type would you choose?

localhoney

Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 17, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
Pokédex Entry
What is one video game rumor (Pokemon, spin-off, smash or otherwise) that you wish had come true?

JavierE64

Masks are so 2016!!! But don´t forget to wear one
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Water
Pokédex Entry
The Master of both Light and Darkness; who loves the Violent and Dramatic, and the Fun and Adorable.
How would you picture a Mega Skarmory? What about stats, typing, or new ability?

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
shoot, beat me to it!
what inspired you to begin writing?
So even though I'd always liked to write as a kid, I didn't actually start writing for fun until like 2010 or so, after I found out fan fiction was a thing via finding fanfiction.net. I loved reading what other people could create, and realized "hey, I'd really like to do that myself and maybe other people will enjoy it!"
So I started working on an story I'd had brewing for a while. Problem is, I'm way too unconfident to ever post anything...
Then a couple years later when I discovered Nuzlockes/storylockes, I wanted to try doing one myself. Even though the actual storylocke has been long abandoned (and never posted), that inspired other ideas that have kept me going.

He also beat me to the punch as well... I usually go every ~5ish turns anyways so it’s chill, I should probably give others a chance.

What song is currently stuck in your head?
Maybe not an actual song since it doesn't have words, but The Dark Realm from Smash Ultimate. It's my favorite track from the game, and it seems to always be stuck in my head.
...It may also be because I'm trying to write lyrics for it... :sweatdrop:

If you had to do a monotype run, what type would you choose?
Hmm...I kind of lean toward Flying so I can use both my profile 'mons, but I also kind of want to say Dragon because it's probably my favorite type. Steel would be fun too, especially since I could still use a Skarmory.

What is one video game rumor (Pokemon, spin-off, smash or otherwise) that you wish had come true?
There's a few...even though I never got super into the "L is real 2401" rumor about Mario 64, I would've liked for Luigi to have been in it, since I've always liked Luigi more. I also remember when we thought we would get a Pokémon Z or XY2, which would've been nice since XY have a bunch of weird unanswered stuff (Why does the Power Plant have like 7 entrances? What was up with the Lumiose ghost girl and the whole "going to get help" text in Lumiose Station? Why was Zygarde even there, when he played a bigger role in Alola?) And I remember when Smash 4 was coming out, everyone thought we'd get another story mode, and I was so disappointed when we didn't. Still liked it though, and I'm a huge fan of Ultimate/WoL.

How would you picture a Mega Skarmory? What about stats, typing, or new ability?
I feel like he'd probably keep the typing, but I'd love to give him Heatproof, even though I don't really know how to make that work lore-wise. As for stats, I lean toward giving him Attack and SpDef buffs at the expense of his SpA since he doesn't use it. And naturally buff his Def even more.
His normal stats are 65/80/140/40/70/70, so I would make the Mega something like 65/130/170/10/120/70.

Nebbles

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 3, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Cute
Pokédex Entry
oooh, ooh! i wanna play! AMA!

Thirteenth

Number XIV
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 20, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
Pokédex Entry
The reason she guides people all the way down to the mountain's base is that she wants them to hurry up and leave.
What's your current favorite thing you've ever written?

Aureum

Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
He, Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fighting
Pokédex Entry
Favourite Three Houses’ ships?

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Outside of FE, which fandoms have you written for/would you want to write for?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)